Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,555 members, 7,888,785 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:09 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1301133 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (1226) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by VGA: 5:46pm On Jun 01, 2011
wow
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 6:19pm On Jun 01, 2011
Jeophri:

@ deji2009, i was told to update by toshiba itself. Had a regular warning from them telling me upgrade to overcoming the heating system. They used this method to know the system that should be recalled. If your upgrade scales through, then you have no problem
but if it doesnt, and becomes blank when you put off your system, those r the one's dey were recalling.
My laptop is a toshiba satellite, T135. You could check the site and the forums. The laptop is being recalled.
And if I knew this before, the upgrade, i wouldnt have done the BIOS upgrade. But I've learnt the hard way and habe to pay the consequences.
Wheen i took it to techs later, it was confirmed by 3 diff people dat the motherboard is gone. So rite now, I need another.
My problem is the rite place to find such.

There's a bios update for your specified model but not for overheating.

Toshiba website do not give information on whether to update to a new bios.

70% certain you made a mistake even though you were told by toshiba to update the bios

they should not have advised you to do so since they're aware of the consequences.

For me to believe it was a toshiba fault tell us how you to update the bios.

for example. went to toshiba website, click support so on and so forth that would

pinpoint if it was toshiba fault or not. T135 not available on toshiba website T130

is which led me to question where you download the bios  update from.

Replacing the motherboard is is uneconomical rather buy another laptop

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

this is whats was said about the problem and it seems like you messed the setting not the motherboard

Important information for Toshiba Satellite T135, T135D and Satellite Pro T130 owners - The US Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada announced a recall following over 100 cases of the notebooks overheating and melting:

Certain Satellite T135, T135D and Satellite Pro T130 laptop computers have been manufactured with a potentially faulty DC-In harness.  These computers will have model/part numbers beginning with PST3AU, PST3BU, or PST3LU. The defective harness may, in some circumstances, overheat to the point of melting the computer’s base at the location where the AC adaptor plugs into the unit.  To date there have been no reports of serious injury, but the temperature is sufficient to pose a burn hazard if specific parts of the DC-In Jack or plug are touched when they are overheated.

Toshiba is releasing a BIOS revision which will prevent the computer from overheating in this manner.  To protect you from injury and your computer from damage, Toshiba strongly recommends that you update your system BIOS to version to 2.70 for the Satellite T135, 1.90 for the Satellite T135D and 2.70 for the Satellite Pro T130.

Toshiba has a BIOS update that should identify troubled notebooks:

The BIOS can be downloaded by clicking on the following hot link:  Satellite T135 v2.70 for the Satellite T135, Satellite T135D v1.90 for the Satellite T135D, Satellite Pro T130 v2.70 for the Satellite Pro T130,  The appropriate BIOS revision is also available as an update provided through the Toshiba Service Station Application installed on you computer.

Should the BIOS determine that a harness failure is occurring, external power will immediately be disabled eliminating the possibility of the over heating.  You will then need to contact the Toshiba call center to set up a warranty repair.  If the harness failure is detected while the system is operating you will receive a system message indicating that the failure has occurred and that external power has been disabled.  You may continue to use the system, without risk of overheating, using the remaining battery charge.  You should immediately close all open files and applications to avoid any data loss.  Once the data has been saved the system should be properly shutdown.   It will not be possible to recharge the battery within the system until it has been repaired

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/recall-toshiba-satellite-t135-t135d-and-satellite-pro-t130-notebooks/9592

I completely agree ZIM DRILL. would be please to see a different picture on your profile. lol
cheesy
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by opabukun(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2011
pls wat r d config filename,dial no,APN & address for MTN & GLO universal modem?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by opabukun(m): 3:10pm On Jun 02, 2011
no i mean manual configuration on these huwei modems. tanx
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jeophri(m): 4:45pm On Jun 02, 2011
was planning on changingthe motherboard before selling it cos it would have better market value than if i were to sell it as scraps.
And do you really think changing it to a different one would make it work?
Whot will d market value of the scrap be?
And as for the recall, think i have soiled my warranty by taking it to local technitians to look at it when i found out it would be difficult to send it over for repairs. Didnt know it would result in a motherboard fault and compromise the system.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:05pm On Jun 02, 2011
Jeophri:

was planning on changingthe motherboard before selling it cos it would have better market value than if i were to sell it as scraps.
And do you really think changing it to a different one would make it work?
Whot will d market value of the scrap be?
And as for the recall, think i have soiled my warranty by taking it to local technitians to look at it when i found out it would be difficult to send it over for repairs. Didnt know it would result in a motherboard fault and compromise the system.

try this --- charge the battery elsewhere, then change the BIOS software to the old one

remember from what i read it only stops the laptop to charge using the adapter
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jeophri(m): 5:19pm On Jun 02, 2011
When I put on my laptop, only the indicator lights come on. It doesnt boot. My hard drive doesnt rotate. I cant do anything with it not to talk of reversing it to the old one
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:24pm On Jun 02, 2011
Jeophri:

When I put on my laptop, only the indicator lights come on. It doesnt boot. My hard drive doesnt rotate. I cant do anything with it not to talk of reversing it to the old one

even if you press the F keys when switching?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jeophri(m): 11:13pm On Jun 02, 2011
yes, 3 techs confirmed that the motherboard is bad
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:23pm On Jun 03, 2011
Jeophri:

yes, 3 techs confirmed that the motherboard is bad

i dont believe that based on what was said about the problem, unless if you messed up more

from what i read the update BIOS checks if it is overheating if it is it disables DC charging therefore the motherboard is still fine
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jeophri(m): 6:15pm On Jun 03, 2011
so how I explain the compputer not coming on? Cos I know I didnot do any other thing other than updates the BIOS.
And right now I dont know what else to do.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:28pm On Jun 03, 2011
Jeophri:

so how I explain the compputer not coming on? Cos I know I didnot do any other thing other than updates the BIOS.
And right now I dont know what else to do.

this is what i got from the that web site

Should the BIOS determine that a harness failure is occurring, external power will immediately be disabled eliminating the possibility of the over heating. You will then need to contact the Toshiba call center to set up a warranty repair. If the harness failure is detected while the system is operating you will receive a system message indicating that the failure has occurred and that external power has been disabled. You may continue to use the system, without risk of overheating, using the remaining battery charge. You should immediately close all open files and applications to avoid any data loss. Once the data has been saved the system should be properly shutdown. It will not be possible to recharge the battery within the system until it has been repaired

so if what you are saying is true then your pc had more defects then if not then you messed up anything

ok back to basic how did you determine that your system was over heating
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by destinedsh: 5:10pm On Jun 07, 2011
help, my boss decided to block facebook on my computer without telling me. how do i unblock it
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Comrade2009: 6:38pm On Jun 07, 2011
pls i need your advise on what to do for my desktop system. The problem was that, if i on the system, it does not enter set up at all, when i show it to one engineer, he told me to change the ide cable which i did but all to no avail. The hard disk and ram are okay. Pls what can i do.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 8:56pm On Jun 07, 2011
destinedsh:

help, my boss decided to block facebook on my computer without telling me. how do i unblock it

Here at nairaland technical support we follow best practices and

may not be able to unblock the facebook account. furthermore we're

working together to make this forum a better place where

users are supported on technical issues. Please consult your Boss
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 9:10pm On Jun 07, 2011
Comrade2009:

pls i need your advise on what to do for my desktop system. The problem was that, if i on the system, it does not enter set up at all, when i show it to one engineer, he told me to change the ide cable which i did but all to no avail. The hard disk and ram are okay. Pls what can i do.

A technician would often take the computer in for a test and

apply a solution. changing the IDE cable isn't best practice, for

example static electricity. Here at nairaland will perform 1st line

diagnostics and if no joy take it to a computer technician.

What's make and model of the computer ? for example Dell T300

Windows XP.

Disconnect everything attached to the computer

for example power cable, keybaord, mouse, printer, usb everything

just the computer left alone. hold the computer power button down

for 50 seconds to discharge static electricity. remember we're not turning it on.

Make sure everything is removed prior to holding down the power button.

Connect kb, mouse and powerlead monitor then power on and try entering

the setup usually by F2
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by xtremeidea(m): 3:19pm On Jun 08, 2011
destinedsh:

Lol, can see he dnt like ur job. u wanna get fired right? undecided undecided undecided

If ur Boss blocks ur FB, Get a smart fone or better still get a laptop and modem n subscribe for internet. when u get home u browse!!!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by solomto(f): 6:06pm On Jun 08, 2011
Pls cn anyone help me on hw to install my download manager trial version.
The problem is that i downloaded a trial version of (internet download manager) bt d 30days trial period is over,wen i try  installed a fresh download of it d system keeps telling me that my trial period is over. Hw do i make a fresh trial version to work again wtout formating my system or if there is anyother beta one to use. Tnks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jeophri(m): 8:45pm On Jun 09, 2011
guys, I've gt myself into another trouble. Somebody gave me her system toshiba satellite, then I charged it with my charger. Then when I tried putting it on, it refused to come on. Only d indicator lites came on.
It's d same thing the same thing that happens to my laptop when I put it on.
But the diff is i did not update the BIOS or do anything to it, just charged it with my charger. And I checked, that charger could be used to charge hers.
I removed d batt, press d power button for 30secs and den put it on. Nothing happened
what do I do?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by mufasa(m): 9:22pm On Jun 09, 2011
My computer trouble - Kernel Panic when i unplug my external audio care (Rane SL3) from my Feb 2011 Mac book pro running OSX 10.6.7.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by omega25red(m): 9:25pm On Jun 09, 2011
Jeophri:

guys, I've gt myself into another trouble. Somebody gave me her system toshiba satellite, then I charged it with my charger. Then when I tried putting it on, it refused to come on. Only d indicator lites came on.
It's d same thing the same thing that happens to my laptop when I put it on.
But the diff is i did not update the BIOS or do anything to it, just charged it with my charger. And I checked, that charger could be used to charge hers.
I removed d batt, press d power button for 30secs and den put it on. Nothing happened
what do I do?
you this guy and computers  grin grin
how about asking her for her own charger? some laptop chargers can fit but that doesn't mean they carry the current needed to charge or turn it on. Ask her for her charger and plug it in. if that doesn't work find a vga cable and connect the laptop to an external monitor to make sure it's not something with the monitor if that doesn't work then open your wallet cause you just might be buying her a new laptop.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by omega25red(m): 9:26pm On Jun 09, 2011
mufasa:

My computer trouble - Kernel Panic when i unplug my external audio care (Rane SL3) from my Feb 2011 Mac book pro running OSX 10.6.7.
maybe this is mac talk but i really dont get what you mean?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by mufasa(m): 9:54pm On Jun 09, 2011
omega25red:

maybe this is mac talk but i really dont get what you mean?

I get a Kernel Panic if i unplug my Rane SL3 (External Sound Card) form my Macbook Pro without exiting my Audio Program using it.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by spicyhoney(f): 8:07am On Jun 10, 2011
Pls help needed urgently. My Acer Netbook is not coming on, the indicator light is on but the screen is blank. The last time I used it, I didn't shut it down and power went off, dnt know if that's the reason. Pls I need help, too many important data n docs are in it.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Jeophri(m): 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
it worked with a projector, so how do I get it to start functioning back??
How do I get to return the display to the screen of the laptop
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by omega25red(m): 8:57pm On Jun 10, 2011
spicyhoney:

Pls help needed urgently. My Acer Netbook is not coming on, the indicator light is on but the screen is blank. The last time I used it, I didn't shut it down and power went off, dnt know if that's the reason. Pls I need help, too many important data n docs are in it.
you probably need to charge the battery if it's not charged or plug it in. Better yet remove the battery and plug then press the power button for about 20 seconds the put your battery and power cord back and hit power to see what happens.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by omega25red(m): 9:01pm On Jun 10, 2011
Jeophri:

it worked with a projector, so how do I get it to start functioning back??
How do I get to return the display to the screen of the laptop
great if it worked with a projector then there is still hope. Now with the laptop plugged into the projector press and hold the "Fn" key and while holding Fn press the F8 key that would toggle the monitor options. You might have to press it 3 times. Each time you press it give 20 seconds to see what changes before you press it again.

also some laptops have the cresent moon shap on the F1 key. You might want to press and hold the Fn key and press the key with the moon shape on it because that key sends your monitor to sleep hope these options helps
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by omega25red(m): 9:05pm On Jun 10, 2011
mufasa:

I get a Kernel Panic if i unplug my Rane SL3 (External Sound Card) form my Macbook Pro without exiting my Audio Program using it.
i dont know much about macs but with any computer you probably should not be removing cards while the computer is powered on you will probably do better shutting down the program that is using the card before you remove it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (1226) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.