Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,001 members, 7,903,194 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 07:22 AM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (682) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1307842 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) (684) (685) ... (1228) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by justi4jesu(f): 1:57pm On Mar 07, 2016
Psalm351:
Please, help me. I use HP mini notebook. Recently, I upgraded its RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Since then, it's been slow. Sometimes, it hangs for few minutes before it starts working again. Is it as a result of the 2G RAM or something else? Thanks. God bless you as you reply.

Did you restore the system?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 2:06pm On Mar 07, 2016
Byko899:
Pleas I need an urgent help, my system Toshiba windows 8.1. Is always saying that my windows activation keys will soon expire. And the date is 8 of match 2016, pleas I need a guide line on how to activate the windows key.the last time I posted this issue I was told to connect my PC to internet that it will activate automatically,I did that but it still keep saying windows key will soon expire
call me on 08061679732.......i reactivate u before the deadline
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 2:07pm On Mar 07, 2016
Psalm351:
Please, help me. I use HP mini notebook. Recently, I upgraded its RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Since then, it's been slow. Sometimes, it hangs for few minutes before it starts working again. Is it as a result of the 2G RAM or something else? Thanks. God bless you as you reply.
call me on 08061679732.....
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Psalm351(m): 2:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
justi4jesu:

Did you restore the system?
No. I didn't. I just upgraded the RAM.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 2:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
-- Test the system with only the battery installed. Test again with only the AC adapter connected.

Same problem? Do the following.

1. Try a hard reset.

2. Try reseating the RAM (if there is more than one, test with one RAM module installed at a time). Try testing with another working RAM module too.

3. If the problem persists, it's most likely an internal power issue. Consult an engineer near you.

Tolulopy:
No o
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 2:34pm On Mar 07, 2016
Was the RAM upgrade the only thing that you did? No new software installations or upgrades?

Does the system hang randomly? Or only when you perform certain tasks, e.g web browsing?

Is it a single 2GB RAM module? Or 2 pieces of 1GB RAM module?

Psalm351:
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Psalm351(m): 2:46pm On Mar 07, 2016
shawlxAk:
Was the RAM upgrade the only thing that you did? No new software installations or upgrades?

Does the system hang randomly? Or only when you perform certain tasks, e.g web browsing?

Is it a single 2GB RAM module? Or 2 pieces of 1GB RAM module?

Yes. It was only the RAM upgrade that I did. Nothing else. And yes, the system hangs randomly. Even when performing simple task. It can even hang on its own while on standby. The 2GB RAM module is single.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 3:34pm On Mar 07, 2016
It could be a poorly seated or defective RAM.

But do the following first.

Boot into Safe Mode, leave it there for a while and see if the same thing happens.

Psalm351:
Yes. It was only the RAM upgrade that I did. Nothing else. And yes, the system hangs randomly. Even when performing simple task. It can even hang on its own while on standby. The 2GB RAM module is single.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Tolulopy(m): 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2016
shawlxAk:
-- Test the system with only the battery installed. Test again with only the AC adapter connected.

Same problem? Do the following.

1. Try a hard reset.

2. Try reseating the RAM (if there is more than one, test with one RAM module installed at a time). Try testing with another working RAM module too.

3. If the problem persists, it's most likely an internal power issue. Consult an engineer near you.

pls I'm sorry o, where can I find the RAM.......nd some said they think the fault lies wf the OS(Windows 7)
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Psalm351(m): 4:17pm On Mar 07, 2016
shawlxAk:
It could be a poorly seated or defective RAM.

But do the following first.

Boot into Safe Mode, leave it there for a while and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks so much for your time. But I have tried doing that.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 4:45pm On Mar 07, 2016
Then remove the RAM module and reinstall it. If the problem persists, replace the RAM module.

Edit: By replace I meant, bring back the old RAM module and test the system.

Psalm351:
Thanks so much for your time. But I have tried doing that.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by samask64: 4:48pm On Mar 07, 2016
pls help me ooooo my dell laptop is not charging it will only show plunged but not charging and is the same charger am using for it before pls help me on what to do
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 4:56pm On Mar 07, 2016
It's usually underneath the motherboard. Look for an access cover on the bottom of the laptop.

If it's not there, then you may want to consult an engineer near you.

No, it cannot possibly be a software issue. It's a hardware issue.

Tolulopy:
pls I'm sorry o, where can I find the RAM.......nd some said they think the fault lies wf the OS(Windows 7)
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 5:00pm On Mar 07, 2016
It's either a defective charger or the battery is bad.

Test with another charger, or test with a different battery.

samask64:
pls help me ooooo my dell laptop is not charging it will only show plunged but not charging and is the same charger am using for it before pls help me on what to do
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Psalm351(m): 5:04pm On Mar 07, 2016
shawlxAk:
Then remove the RAM module and reinstall it. If the problem persists, replace the RAM module.

Okay. Thank you very much. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 8:05pm On Mar 07, 2016
Psalm351:
Okay. Thank you very much. God bless you.
I AV been following ur thread since and really u both are looking into the wrong places..
Instead,u shd hit the msconfig command to view the startup programs and services.moreso,find a registry cleaner to remove invalid entries from the registry...
These are the main causes for ur problems else ur hard drive is weak and probably having defective sectors..ur ram can never be the cause,if it was,it wldnt boot up
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 8:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
shawlxAk:
It's usually underneath the motherboard. Look for an access cover on the bottom of the laptop.

Excuse me bro,i tink it's wrong or too much to ask the poster to remove his ram..Its quite a technical tin todo and from his response,it's obvious he lacks the technical know-how to do such..I wld suggest u recommend a hardware expert to perform such procedure..this has nothing todo wit diy as some pple wld argue here

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 9:03pm On Mar 07, 2016
And did the poster tell you he couldn't do it? Besides, didn't you see where I advised him to consult an engineer?

You are saying this because you left him your number? I'm just trying to help as much as I can. Nobody is stopping him from calling you. So what's your problem?

sameolg616:

Excuse me bro,i tink it's wrong or too much to ask the poster to remove his ram..Its quite a technical tin todo and from his response,it's obvious he lacks the technical know-how to do such..I wld suggest u recommend a hardware expert to perform such procedure..this has nothing todo wit diy as some pple wld argue here

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 9:22pm On Mar 07, 2016
And who told you that a computer with a failing RAM cannot boot? Note: Failing, not failed.

He started by saying the problem began since he upgraded the RAM. And so it's normal to start troubleshooting from that point. Ok?

A defective RAM can cause a whole lot of issues, including crashes and random freezes.

sameolg616:

I AV been following ur thread since and really u both are looking into the wrong places..
Instead,u shd hit the msconfig command to view the startup programs and services.moreso,find a registry cleaner to remove invalid entries from the registry...
These are the main causes for ur problems else ur hard drive is weak and probably having defective sectors..ur ram can never be the cause,if it was,it wldnt boot up

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Psalm351(m): 9:45pm On Mar 07, 2016
sameolg616:

Thanks for you kind views. I thought the same about the RAM. Please, how do I get a registry cleaner?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Tolulopy(m): 10:06pm On Mar 07, 2016
shawlxAk:

Ok,thanks a bunch.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 1:23am On Mar 08, 2016
shawlxAk:
And did the poster tell you he couldn't do it? Besides, didn't you see where I advised him to consult an engineer?

You are saying this because you left him your number? I'm just trying to help as much as I can. Nobody is stopping him from calling you. So what's your problem?

before u start asking pple to open up their systems to remove ram chips,u need to assess them by asking "can u locate and remove your ram"..their next response would dictate ur next move else u ask the to meet a tech..
i could read ow u have been itching to chat and chat to keep the conversation going with ur 1 liners:
"Did you recently upgrade a hardware component?"
"Was the RAM upgrade the only thing that you did?"
"Is it a single 2GB RAM module? Or 2 pieces of 1GB RAM module?"..(for a moment,it felt like a whatsapp chat)vexing if u would ask me...
if u were a doctor attending to an emergency patient then he would have been dead with ur questionnaires....(u just keep wasting the pages going on and on)
i always leave my number cuz i dont av time to assess situations like u do and i dont dont live on nairaland to keep checking every minute for updates..
i appreciate ur public service but bro,part of what makes u differ from the others should be ur insight,foresight and precise judgement in that moment...as i tell people,response here doesnt need to be in real time...u need to take ur time to prepare the solution because people are waiting to criticize ur judgement...
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 1:29am On Mar 08, 2016
Psalm351:
Thanks for you kind views. I thought the same about the RAM. Please, how do I get a registry cleaner?
i use 2 types on my system(be advised,free registry cleaners are as impotent as free antivirus)..uniblue registry cleaner and latest Reviversoft pc reviver(premium versions)
u can call me on 08061679732(as a member here(deji2009) once advised me..he said respect the ethics of the forum;dont drop license keys publicly on the forum...make it private)..i hope mr shawlxak can now understand why
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 1:36am On Mar 08, 2016
shawlxAk:
And who told you that a computer with a failing RAM cannot boot? Note: Failing, not failed.

He started by saying the problem began since he upgraded the RAM. And so it's normal to start troubleshooting from that point. Ok?

A defective RAM can cause a whole lot of issues, including crashes and random freezes.

"failing;not failed"...hmmmm i guess u have an argument there not worth debating though!
"A defective RAM can cause a whole lot of issues, including crashes and random freezes."..point noted!
im more of a surgeon and not a general practitioner so i guess i continued from where ur troubleshooting stopped using the data ur collected-thanks!
as u can see,we are working together in the same hospital(nairaland).... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by jboixxx: 4:11am On Mar 08, 2016
Folks, well done. Having ds issue ref in the attached picture. I've tried working on the BIOS setting, especially d network boot order but all proved abortive. Could it be that d HDD is dead as id even restore BIOS setting to default but not forthcoming. Thanks. NB: it's an HP desktop.

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by sameolg616(m): 4:44am On Mar 08, 2016
jboixxx:
Folks, well done. Having ds issue ref in the attached picture. I've tried working on the BIOS setting, especially d network boot order but all proved abortive. Could it be that d HDD is dead as id even restore BIOS setting to default but not forthcoming. Thanks. NB: it's an HP desktop.
test1:
disable the pxe mode and move it further down the boot priority....(atimes ur system may continue cycling in boot mode wen in pxe network boot and set as priority 1.
reason:its attempting to boot through the network but u obviously don't have an ethernet cable plugged in or a network to boot from. )
then retry....
snapshot the priority boot order and state clearly the processor class of the desktop(eg pentium 4)
state the os on it as well (eg windows 8 or w7
test2:
if its windows 7..
disable secure boot.....and set boot mode to "legacy"
if its windows 8
disable secure boot ...set boot mode to "uefi"
test3:
lastly,use the hard drive test to diagnose ur HDD.....
snapshot the results

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by BetaTechnicians: 7:06am On Mar 08, 2016
sameolg616:

I'm sorry but your approach is really odd, best practices in troubleshooting is to undo the last action and in this case it's an hardware upgrade which can easily be reversed and the situation re-accessed. Even if you any OEM customer support today, that's what you'll be told.
and yes, a bad ram may still boot a computer but would affect functionality a great deal, but while that hasn't been ascertained in this case, it's the best place to start troubleshooting from.

and
there's nothing wrong with the method used by shawlxAk i.e. asking series of questions, because this is a remote support so the person at the other end has to provide sufficient information before you can make an inference.

3 Likes

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by jboixxx: 8:20am On Mar 08, 2016
sameolg616:

test1:
disable the pxe mode and move it further down the boot priority....(atimes ur system may continue cycling in boot mode wen in pxe network boot and set as priority 1.
reason:its attempting to boot through the network but u obviously don't have an ethernet cable plugged in or a network to boot from. )
then retry....
snapshot the priority boot order and state clearly the processor class of the desktop(eg pentium 4)
state the os on it as well (eg windows 8 or w7
test2:
if its windows 7..
disable secure boot.....and set boot mode to "legacy"
if its windows 8
disable secure boot ...set boot mode to "uefi"
test3:
lastly,use the hard drive test to diagnose ur HDD.....
snapshot the results

Thanks for the prompt response. I've tried these, though only disabled the Secure boot in 2. Will try again and provide the screenshots. Thanks again.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 8:35am On Mar 08, 2016
Oga, now it's very obvious that you know absolutely nothing about real tech support. You're just a wanna-be, looking for some quick petty cash here and there.

I don't ask questions because I'm itching to chat. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I ask questions because I'm trying to understand the problem better.

Perhaps you think that I'm just a road-side technician?

For your information, I'm a trained Systems Engineer(Prof. Diploma) and Information Technologist(BSc).

Try not to attack me ever again. I'm not your average tech guy.

sameolg616:

before u start asking pple to open up their systems to remove ram chips,u need to assess them by asking "can u locate and remove your ram"..their next response would dictate ur next move else u ask the to meet a tech..
i could read ow u have been itching to chat and chat to keep the conversation going with ur 1 liners:
"Did you recently upgrade a hardware component?"
"Was the RAM upgrade the only thing that you did?"
"Is it a single 2GB RAM module? Or 2 pieces of 1GB RAM module?"..(for a moment,it felt like a whatsapp chat)vexing if u would ask me...
if u were a doctor attending to an emergency patient then he would have been dead with ur questionnaires....(u just keep wasting the pages going on and on)
i always leave my number cuz i dont av time to assess situations like u do and i dont dont live on nairaland to keep checking every minute for updates..
i appreciate ur public service but bro,part of what makes u differ from the others should be ur insight,foresight and precise judgement in that moment...as i tell people,response here doesnt need to be in real time...u need to take ur time to prepare the solution because people are waiting to criticize ur judgement...
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 8:38am On Mar 08, 2016
Don't mind the dumb guy.

He's just a hungry tech wanna-be.

BetaTechnicians:

I'm sorry but your approach is really odd, best practices in troubleshooting is to undo the last action and in this case it's an hardware upgrade which can easily be reversed and the situation re-accessed. Even if you any OEM customer support today, that's what you'll be told.
and yes, a bad ram may still boot a computer but would affect functionality a great deal, but while that hasn't been ascertained in this case, it's the best place to start troubleshooting from.

and
there's nothing wrong with the method used by shawlxAk i.e. asking series of questions, because this is a remote support so the person at the other end has to provide sufficient information before you can make an inference.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by baddest095: 8:56am On Mar 08, 2016
pls help my dell inspiron started crashing suddenly..av been playing FIFA b4 on it flawlessly.. I can even complete a whole tournament..now b4 i finish first half system go crash
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by shawlxAk(m): 9:00am On Mar 08, 2016
The error message is quite clear. It's either a loose/broken connection or a dead hard drive.

Edit: when you went into the BIOS, was the HDD listed?

If it's not listed in the BIOS, try detaching the HDD and reattaching it firmly.

Same problem?

Try connecting it with another set of cables.

If it doesn't work, it's most likely dead.

jboixxx:

(1) (2) (3) ... (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) (684) (685) ... (1228) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.