Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,703 members, 7,889,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:22 AM

Preparing For PTE? Get In Here - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Preparing For PTE? Get In Here (108156 Views)

SUV Crushes 23-Year-Old EBSU Graduate Preparing For NYSC In Lagos / PTE & Ieits Which Is Easier / Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by farnet: 6:02pm On May 10, 2019
One can buy voucher from one center and sit for the test in another....where you got the voucher doesn't matter
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by gurujobalert: 5:22am On May 27, 2019
MrGreenMavro:

I search on playstore can't find this app

latest job alert on govt jobs and Ssc Recruitment notification
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by gurujobalert: 8:51am On May 28, 2019
gurujobalert:

latest job alert on govt jobs and Ssc Recruitment notification

IBPS Online Test exam mock Test practice questions and answers with explanation for ibps clerk , ibps po,General Awareness,Reasoning Ability,English,Quantitative Aptitude,Computer Awareness
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Olinga(f): 8:39pm On May 29, 2019
spyroxy1:
PTE mock test kits are available.

You may contact me for yours. Its exactly the same way the PTE test is and its marked by Pearsons

spyroxy1

Please how much is the mock test.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Dwebb55: 12:20pm On May 31, 2019
Olinga:

Please how much is the mock test.

I am interested in the mock test and answers. Anyone with the CD kit can also get in touch.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bheewhy(m): 9:47am On Jun 03, 2019
[quote author=barleeh post=73443590][/quote]
Hello brother,
Please I will need your guide concerning my placement at UPM. I have sent a series of PM to you which you are to respond. I look forward to hearing from you.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 9:37pm On Jun 05, 2019
mctowel01:
So, this is for those of us who are preparing for PTE as a medium to exchange information, preparatory materials and very important tips concerning writing the exam.
So let me start.. I know a lot of people have been looking for materials for PTE. I have uploaded it to a Dropbox account. You can download it from this link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vrxfb23yh2jubz0/AACqQqja5SXpPfZkhvozNTyqa?dl=0

Edit.
If you download it successfully, please kindly indicate on this thread, so i ll be sure the link is still working.
Its a zip file of about 250mb.

. This thread is basically a PTE assistance thread and not for insults and banters. Those who have written the exam can come and share information and tips to we future test takers, especially those of us gunning for very high scores. Please help others by sending dropbox links to files not in this link.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 9:39pm On Jun 05, 2019
Anyi3:

Just confirmed from my sister who is taking the test soon.

She called their Abuja office and booked. She was then given UKEAS account and asked to pay into their bank account and forward the teller to them.

I suggest the first step is to contact UKEAS, they'd give you more info.

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 9:40pm On Jun 05, 2019
fados4sure:
Please concentrate on the Reading aspect very well
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 9:51pm On Jun 05, 2019
Bnimz:
ehen, lemme begin.

Na speaking dey generally give headache during PTE, here are some tips I got while preparing and followed strictly.

1. Record yourself.. as in,, recoooord.. again and again, in different voices and accents, to see which one clear pass.. See me for example, i get one kind baritone voice... Just one recording showed me that this thing no go work ooo. na so I edit am.. I took the entire speaking section of the exam in a girly voice... grin simply because, as I dey practice, na that tone of voice clear pass for the recordings... Change your accent if you have to,, remember its not a human that is listening. Its a computer.

2. Pronunciation.. Chidike said he spoke in phonetics.... For this our default naija accent, we have the tendency to pronounce everything at the same volume.... nay nay.. no be so e dey work.. at least not according to the tips I read... dem say, you must put stress, raise volume, lower volume appropriately to show emphasis....

3. Please and please dont repeat yourself .. Na this thing important pass.. for each repetition, your communicative skills dey drop.. your vocabulary dey drop, your oral fluency dey drop

3A. Abeg, in the name of God, dont CORRECT YOURSELF.. if you dey misyarn, dey misyarn smoothly go... Content is only one third of the scoring... as long as what youre saying is broadly related to the topic, no correct any mistake o.. na fluency dey drop so... lemme give you one example.. During my test, they asked, Which country in the united kingdom has the 3rd largest population... Na Wales. I know say na Wales. My brain dey think Wales.. my mouth yarn Scotland ... chei.. shocked shocked as I hear am, me sef shock... shocked but I no change am o... and as you can see, e no affect result... the exam is a test of English, not a test of knowledge... If at that point, I said, SCOTLAND, ah, no, sorry, WALES, ... the computer go reason am say, which kind sentence be that? and oral fluency go drop, communicative skills go drop, grammar go drop...

3B. which brings me to the next subtopic. Always complete your sentences.. lets assume you see a pie chart,, you wan describe, your mouth talk say, The BAR GRAPH....... ..... NO CHANGE AM O.... just continue. after that sentence finishes, you fit con dey call am Pie chart from the next sentence... This is because, the computer reads the pauses for commas, and the pause that ends a sentence. if you say, The BAR GRAPH, con correct yaself say, the PIE CHART, what the computer sees is, THE BAR GRAPH THE PIE CHART, blah blah blah..... now which kind sentence be that one? na scores e dey affect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 9:58pm On Jun 05, 2019
Bnimz:
As I was saying, don't correct yaself...

Another thing, don't use fillers... Things like Aah, uhm hnmm, ... The computer doesn't understand them.. All your speaking subskills go dey drop for everything you say that the computer cannot interpret as English...

Now, for the individual sections... Describe image hard, so, according to the E2language people, you need a structure.. This structure now go change the question from an ESSAY, to Fill in the Gaps... For example.. If you have no structure, you'll think of what to say every single time.... However, if you have a structure like,,, The ..... graph represents,..... .. title.... key points,... Overall, it can be seen from the graph that..... Conclusion

This is different... You already know half of what you'll say... Na to dey change the title for each graph,, and to dey change the key points... As I said, there is no right or wrong... If you dey mis-yarn, dey mis-yarn go... Na your own understanding of the image be that... The computer only needs the keywords to score you for content... The rest na fluency, pronunciation and grammar..

Next, , once you're done talking, please click next.... Na true say the microphone go stop after 3 seconds of silence.. But don't give the computer that silence to analyze... Silence tells the computer that you've run out of things to say... Don't let it happen... Also, finish your description in 25 - 35 seconds... Don't let the recording cut you off and create an incomplete sentence

For retell lecture, there's one key thing to note,... The speakers say keywords with higher volume and stress... You don't have to listen to everything if e go confuse you.. Just listen for the keywords, names, dates, statistics... Write them down as they are spoken, then when you wan retell, fill them up with normal words to make complete sentences... You have to start writing immediately they start talking.. The time is not enough to write after they stop.

For summarize text, once again, its all about keywords,, just look for the ''WHO DID WHAT " in the passage...

Lastly, in terms of handling noise, raise your headset volume to the highest, , and don't be afraid to talk loudly... Na 15 of us do the test for one small room at my center.... As dem dey loud am, me sef dey loud am o... Na me sabi how much I pay for this test... Nobody go con use hin own palaver waste my money
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 10:39pm On Jun 05, 2019
Bnimz:
MICROPHONE PLACEMENT.

na wetin dey lower scores pass be this... The computer does not understand BREATHING SOUNDS....

Your score gets lowered A LITTLE for every hesitation, repetition, pronunciation error or grammatical blunder..
The score gets lowered DRASTICALLY for every single thing you say that DOES NOT SOUND LIKE ENGLISH AT ALL..

so, you see where the microphone wahala dey..

if your mic is in front of your mouth, na problem... because, even though you might not be breathing through your mouth, (obviously not grin ), when you pronounce consonant sounds like 'P' , 'B', your mouth pushes air out.. These sounds are called 'PLOSIVE sounds by PTE-A, and they are the primary reason for low speaking scores..

I've seen posts online advising people to put the mic above the nose.. while this might indeed work, seeing a microphone in your peripheral vision while "reading aloud" for example can cause confusion or hesitation.. imagine make the mic don cover part of a pie chart you suppose describe... precious seconds will be wasted getting it out of the way..

Personally, I think the best mic position is under the chin.. I looked at pictures of pilots, customer service reps,, generally, na below the mouth dem dey put mic.. I got my clearest recordings when the mic was below my chin.

P.S. if you con get "Father Abraham" kinda beard grin position am such that the beard doesnt scratch the mic o... that is worse grin grin grin
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 10:46pm On Jun 05, 2019
mctowel01:

OK, once the recording starts, be sure you are with your pen and paper and be ready to write.
Trust me, you can even hear some lectures where it will sound like the speaker is half asleep, so don't expect to understand it all in one go..Infact, I don't think PTE actually expects one to understand and summarize just at once. So, be ready to take notes, write down keywords . While the speaker is talking, just keep picking words that are persuliar to the lecture, words that are repeated, Strong short sentences like..."The great museum has not always been popular in England". Most likely, the sentence that follows after that will illustrate more on why it has not always been popular. So, that tells you that the topic sentence is that first one...No matter what, just keep writing still. Don't write full sentences.
What I did was...I remember getting one about businesses enterprises and marketing.. after writing those words once and encountering them again, I just quickly used letter M to represent marketing and B for business enterprise...So a statement like Business enterprises are now fast developing will be quickly written as B -fst devlpn...all to.make it easier...Remember... even if you don't understand the lecture at all, keep writing keywords that you hear or anything peculiar at all...obviously not "The "," at" "and", " he".. those are not keywords. When you are done writing, you then take your time to summarize what you ve written down...even when you are not sure, just frame up a sentence...Something like... "Marketing is a significant aspect of business " I might not have heard it, but it makes sense to include inside the summary.

Finally, the main thing is the grammar and spelling...NEVER sacrifice anything for these two important aspects in any section that involves writing.. Once you cross 50 words in summarize spoken text or 200 in essay, or like 20 in summarize written text, don't worry yourself atall...Focus on the grammar and spelling of every word and sentence. Those keywords already contain the scores for content...so focus on grammar and spelling... The 10 minutes would be well enough for that
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 10:54pm On Jun 05, 2019
SonalChauhan:
Are you looking to buy PTE voucher at very discounted price? Would like to suggest you to go with PTEVoucherCode.com provides a PTE Voucher at very cheapest price in India with 5 mock test free.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 10:57pm On Jun 05, 2019
Cottyekundayo:
Greetings everyone
This post is long overdue, nonetheless it is better late than never.
Firstly i will thank mctowel01 for taking time out to create this thread and the practice material you made available. Your effort has saved some of us some extra time and money.

i just want to share my own experience when i wrote my PTE-A.

I had taken ielts soetime in 2016, with my result as L:8.5 W: 6.5 R:7 S:7 Ovr 7.5
this test helped me to identify my weakness which was writing. sadly, not all engineers are good essay writers.

so what did i do to get those scores?

Firstly, i familiarised myself with the sections of the test by reading some test handbook i could find and some materials from the internet alongside youtube.com

secondly i practised, consistently
while practising, you dont limit yourself to just the table and chair and some study environment. it just doesn't work that way, cos it does require consistency.
some tips include speaking English at any opportunity you have : some people will laugh at you "who you de form English for etc". but at the end, you are left with yourself after the test. while you speak, you are able to improve your , grammar, use of words, fluency, and others.

when having chat conversations, please type complete words and use correct English. the predictive text on smartphones will correct your mistakes, that way you learn one or two things. its so sad how the shorthand texting has ruined our English.

watch foreign movies and listen attentively, if you are not sure of the words, listen again. some podcasts are also useful just make sure it is on a/some topics that interest you.

for reading, read news papers, blog articles, etc and skim through quickly, it really does help improve your reading speed and helps identify new words for your vocabulary.
finally, writing is so much of a big deal to me, and maybe to others. its easier with PTE-A. but then, in prepapration, i applied sam principles
i read sample answers to essays... and i practiced, like i said,your chat messaging is a good start to help with your typing for pte-A

with the above stated techniques, i aced my PTE with a 90 overall L:90 W:90 R:86 S:83

some tips for y pte,
i practised my writing with microsoftword. I was ableto see my mistakes and corrected them.
if you are not too good with a computer, familiarise yourself with one before the exam day
speed is of paramount importance, hence practise typing. you may want to dowload "mavis beacon teaches typing".
be familiar with punctuation marks, and use them while practising.
use online videos on youtube especially e2language resources, but dont limit yourself to em alone.
time management is KEY!
best regards in your endeavours

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:01pm On Jun 05, 2019
spyroxy1:
Use the below:

Azy123

If you are having problems with your pronunciation in speaking of the PTE-A

Do as follows;

Register a google account and sign into the chrome browser.

Talk and type!

In Google Docs, you can now simply talk for speech-to-text dictation if your computer has a microphone! You can even pause, issue a command, pause again, and resume dictating. Below, you will find some initial directions to get you started and some common commands that you may want to use. To see a list of all commands, check out this Help Center article or say “voice commands help” when you’re voice typing. A video overview appears at the bottom of this Tech Tip so you can see voice typing in action.
Start voice typing

Check that your microphone works.
Open a document in Google docs with a Chrome browser.
Click Tools > Voice typing. A microphone box appears.
When you're ready to speak, click the microphone.
Speak clearly, at a normal volume and pace (see below for more information on using punctuation).
When you're done, click the microphone again.

Note:

Your tone will tell the computer voice recognition if its a new sentence or continuation, if you keep seeing a small letter at the beginning of each sentence, check your intonation/accent.

https://www.smore.com/91m4v-voice-typing-in-google-docs
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:04pm On Jun 05, 2019
afolaseg:

Bamz, pls am so sorry, it's been long av read comments on nairaland due to work. I have received alot of PMs for mock test and materials but not been able to respond to them. For those asking if the mock test is the same with the real test. From my experience, people usually get the same mark in the mock test and the real test if they refuse to practice the more or get the logic in the test. The test is not about how vocal you are but about you getting the required scope and tactics in answering their questions. You don't also have to be panic when writing the test. I have had alot of testimonies from those who wrote the mock test till they had their desired component before going for the real test and came out in flying colors. So it is always advisable to get your desired score in the mock test before going for the real test to avoid wasting time and resources (Money).

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:05pm On Jun 05, 2019
40manlappy:

She practiced vigorously with the aid of the book "The Official Guide to PTE Academic" (comes with a CD-ROM) and took many mock tests. We got a headset with which she practiced Speaking and simulated live exam environment.

We also benefited from some tips given by either Bnimz or Mctowe01. Will share once I locate the page. Cheers

cc: spyroxy1

1 Like

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:07pm On Jun 05, 2019
Azy123:
Hi all, Any one with good news recently on this PTE test ( mock or real ) to motivate the rest of us.

I was able to achieve 77 in MOCK speaking after some preparation. Going for the real thing next week. Preparation continues with some luck we will get there.

Please share your methods lets help ourselves. The following links are very helpful -

A video on pronunciation introduce to me by a friend: - Teaching Pronunciation: Seven Essential Concepts with Judy B. Gilbert

https://www.soundsofenglish.org/stress--intonation

http://www.manythings.org/e/pronunciation.html

http://www.learning-english-online.net/pronunciation/stress-and-intonation/

http://www.fluentu.com/blog/english/how-to-improve-english-pronunciation/
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:09pm On Jun 05, 2019
Azy123:
I just pray I will do better in the real thing when I finally summon the courage to retake it again. smiley

What I did differently:

- Spoke faster than before.

- Did not explicitly pause for comma, just a very small almost unnoticeable pause. Fluency 90

- Observed word stress, sentence stress and intonation in the best way I could (this was not easy). Pronunciation increased to 52 from 39 and 43 in the last 2 mock test.

- In addition to my normal way of describing image, I added a statement to include the vertical axis. Maybe it increased the mark for content also I'm not sure - "the vertical axis shows a range of number from ____ to _____".

That's all I did

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:11pm On Jun 05, 2019
fonseca1929:
Good morning house

I wrote my first pte last month 8th sept and got R s w l as 78 71 83 and 79.A day before that,I took the mock test and got r s w l as 72 60 73 and 70.other stuff increased substantially in the enabling skills except pronunciation which was 49 on both occasions.i hope it helps people that want to write later.I did not do much thing different except that I spoke on a faster pace and more careful when reading and listening.i need at least 79 in each of the communicative skills.e2language videos helped me to understand the test.It was just regrettable that I did not prepare so much for the test.i just need to work harder especially on pronunciation
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:18pm On Jun 05, 2019
Azy123:
I dont know if i am qualify to give tips as I am still not successful in hitting the 79 barrier in speaking. DId another one LRSW - 90,85,70,90

Mctowel posted a link on the 1st page it has tonnes of material.

In addition visit

http://ptebible..com/

For Exam memories

Use google chrome to visit ( so it can translate chinese to english) - http://www.enflares.com.au/category/pte-experience/pte-recall/

Use google chrome to visit ( so it can translate chinese to english) - http://www.feifan.com.au/download/zhuanxiangdiandu

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:22pm On Jun 05, 2019
Azy123:
Probably to ensure people don't just cram responses especially for repeated takers like us. I think the best thing is to prepare for all possible images and not over focus on the popular images. Pictures and maps included. The exam memory is coming back now, Imagine I got 4 pictures and 2 wicked line graphs. No bar chart, pie chart.

1 is a picture of London. Left side of picture,london in 17xx & right side of picture London in present day.

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:27pm On Jun 05, 2019
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by maudoggs: 11:34pm On Jun 05, 2019
Hi 40manlappy, good evening and hope my note gets to you in good health.
Would really like to connect with you if that's ok with.
Need to ask some questions about Canadian express entry
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:35pm On Jun 05, 2019
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:39pm On Jun 05, 2019
Bamz:

stepo707

My last mock test result is similar to your outcome. I think you're on a good path considering that your fluency is okay.

The aim for speaking is to look out for model answers and try to answer the same way.

Trying to improve fluency may somehow backfire on pronunciation because the more you want your speech to be smooth without unnatural pauses, the more you find yourself speaking faster.

A tip to note when doing Read Aloud: in the time allocated to skim through the text, have a mental note of the focus words as much as you can and ensure you hit high decibels when pronouncing these words.

I'm afraid the only way is practice practice practice.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:39pm On Jun 05, 2019
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:42pm On Jun 05, 2019
stepo707:
Here is good https://ptestudy.com for loads of real practise and answer. infact i saw 5 of the questions that were given to me in describe image there.also some questions from reading...in other words pte uses past questions a lot...just to practise from this sites.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:43pm On Jun 05, 2019
Bamz:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-way-to-prepare-for-PTE-Pearson-Test-in-English

I'm following Joshin John's method with some modifications.

I have no hard copy textbooks.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by blackorange: 11:44pm On Jun 05, 2019
Tmex:

pls check the link, it seems not valid

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

This Is The Oyedepo Hangar They Plan To Demolish / Ask A Pilot... / A Town In Anambra State Were Snakes Visits People...(pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.