Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,920 members, 7,872,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:42 AM

Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) (2621 Views)

Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths / Map Of Native Courts Of 1903 Showing Boundary Of Igbo Speaking People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

Miss, the same statistics of northern population which you disagree with, are the same numbers used to measure her income per capita...

So you don't agree northerners are more in number, but agree that they are poorer statistically when their huge population is the basis for the comparatively lower income per capita?

Can you see how ethnic bias can blur clear reasoning ? Darling you know nothing about the spending power of northerners.
In mathematical terms the gdp per capita of the southern states is so much bigger than the northern states. So effectively, the real population (northerners) might give a higher gdp but it will still fall well short.
All you need to verify this data is to look at the region with the most contribution to the national purse. You can't fight data.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

You need exposure like a fish needs water.
Are you seriously telling me that the population figures doesn't raise your eye brow? Be honest.

Based on my observations, there are more cities around the world with huge populations situated on the coasts than there are cities in the desert and rapidly choking hinterlands. The cities of Barcelona, Malaga, Valencia, London, Glasgow, Liverpool, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Stockholm, Oslo, Petersburg, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, Christchurch and several other coastal cities that dot New Zealand , Vancouver, Victoria, New York, Washington, DC, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Toronto, Seattle and several other coastal cities in North America.
People congregate heavily in areas where there are resources and opportunities and not in areas where there is a dearth of virtually everything, where hunger, poverty, the lack of water and rain and where there is no work. Except of course, laziness is also a reason that account for human congregation and habitation, which would be unusual. There are just too many inconsistencies in Nigeria and this is one ambiguity that has its roots in wealth, economic and resource allocation.

According to Google maps, the coastal land in Nigeria is made up of 853 Kilometers. The arid north is about 35% of the land with rapid desertification with no end in sight. The coastal region of 853 kilometers has been attracting and will continue to attract large population and drifts for decades to come, which will result in even higher population and density. The continued and unabated desertification signals rapid moves and relocation by people who can no longer sustain themselves nor find any means of survival. But sadly this has not affected population in the Northern part of Nigeria; rather there has been a steady rise in the population of the North. It is reported that the North (Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri) make up 33% of Nigeria's population while the South West (Yoruba) accounts for 21%, the East (Igbo) is 18%, the South-South (Ijaw and Ibibio) is 13.5% and the Plateau Region (Tivs) is 2.5%. There is no doubt these figures are inaccurate and deliberately misrepresented for economic, political and revenue reasons. It is uniquely Nigerian that the nation's population increases from hundred of thousands to millions as you travel up-north to the desert from the coastal and forest region, an award winning master stroke that leaves everyone twitching and nodding.
With the North gifted and allocated 33% of the nation's population, it becomes easy to then allot an equally dignified 15 states to it and make the Caliphate happy. The oil rich and coastal region only got Rivers, Cross River, Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa, and Delta, a total of 5 states, all because they do not have political power. In Nigeria nothing is shared right and done based on facts and correctness; it has to be narrowed down to bread and butter and what powerful individuals stand to benefit and their political expediency/survival a la Oloye Olusola Saraki, the Turaki of Ilorin. But strangely when you compare Kano State (11,500,000) and Oyo State (10,400,000) using 1987 population estimates, you begin to see the cattle-heads figures when you realize that Oyo recorded primary school enrolment of 2,070,362 and 1,982,525 in 1983-84 and 1984-85 school years to Kano State's 752,278 and 762,593 during the same period.

You can read up more on the primary school enrolment in- Nigeria: Current Issues and Historical background
By Martin P. Mathews. I sourced those from Google books.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 3:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:

In mathematical terms the gdp per capita of the southern states is so much bigger than the northern states. So effectively, the real population (northerners) might give a higher gdp but it will still fall well short.
All you need to verify this data is to look at the region with the most contribution to the national purse. You can't fight data.

1. Anything per capita is denominated/based on population, so a less populate south is bound to have higher figure than the North as resources are not spread as thinly.
2. The southern contribution to the national purse is majorly in the form of oil revenue, which is a natural resource, and is not a reflection of your economic state.

Don't get it twisted.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 3:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

1. Anything per capita is based on population, so a less populate south is bound to have higher figure than the North as resources are not spread as thinly.
2. The southern contribution to the national purse is majorly in the form of oil revenue, which is a natural resource, and is not a reflection of your economic state.

Don't get it twisted.
Where does the next non oil revenue comes from? How about we deal with data and not emotions.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 3:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

1. Anything per capita is denominated/based on population, so a less populate south is bound to have higher figure than the North as resources are not spread as thinly.

Don't get it twisted.
Give this link a read. http://m.thenigerianvoice.com/news/172621/1/to-the-people-of-the-southwest-the-third-largest-e.html
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 4:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:

Where does the next non oil revenue comes from? How about we deal with data and not emotions.

Agriculture, of which leather alone forms 40% of, trade and services.

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/pages/download/281
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:
Give this link a read. http://m.thenigerianvoice.com/news/172621/1/to-the-people-of-the-southwest-the-third-largest-e.html

Lol.

Lagos' economic contribution which makes up over 90% of those figures for the SW, is the product of the contributions of all Nigerians including to a very significant extent, northerners. Two of Forbes billionaires are northerners doing business and generating revenue for Lagos.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 4:23pm On Mar 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

Lol.

Lagos' economic contribution which makes up over 90% of those figures for the SW, is the product of the contributions of all Nigerians including to a very significant extent, northerners. Two of Forbes billionaires are northerners doing business and generating revenue for Lagos.
Gosh, generating revenues for lagos you said? Where does there taxes go?
You are talking like dangote isn't one of the biggest beneficiaries of the corrupt system ( favourable laws that encourages monopoly). Dangote and northerners contribution to Nigeria is a fraction of what southerners contribute to Nigeria. The money Nigerians abroad contribute to Nigerian is well in excess of $25billion yearly, more than 90% of which are from southerners. Does any of your states men generate anything close to that amount?
We can go back and forth on stats.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 4:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:

Gosh, generating revenues for lagos you said? Where does there taxes go?
You are talking like dangote isn't one of the biggest beneficiaries of the corrupt system ( favourable laws that encourages monopoly). Dangote and northerners contribution to Nigeria is a fraction of what southerners contribute to Nigeria. The money Nigerians abroad contribute to Nigerian is well in excess of $25billion yearly, more than 90% of which are from southerners. Does any of your states men generate anything close to that amount?
We can go back and forth on stats.

@ bolded You were the one that berated emotional babble over raw stats. Don't be lazy, back up your claim.

For some reason, you also imagine Northerners do not reside abroad and generate revenue. I'm typing this from my flat in England and I know the volume of transactions I make with Nigerian banks weekly.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 4:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

Agriculture, of which leather alone forms 40% of, trade and services.

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/pages/download/281

You gave me a link thinking I am a fool lol? Where does it say 40% comes from leather? Gosh, I thought you were better than this.
fulanimafia:

@ bolded You were the one that berated emotional babble over raw stats. Don't be lazy, back up your claim.

For some reason, you also imagine Northerners do not reside abroad and generate revenue. I'm typing this from my flat in England and I know the volume of transactions I make with Nigerian banks weekly.
Which stats have you presented so far to back up your claim?
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 4:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:

You gave me a link thinking I am a fool lol? Where does it say 40% comes from leather? Gosh, I thought you were better than this.

Which stats have you presented so far to back up your claim?

No one thinks you're a fool.

That link I already provided was for the sectoral GDP contribution. This is for leather: https://www.nairaland.com/1435973/16-million-cattle-contributes-40
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 4:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
fulanimafia:

This a real stats for you about the non oil comodities of Nigeria as at 2014. Your comments is typical of a dishonest northerner who tends to pull facts out of thin air.
https://www.naij.com/499136-see-much-nigeria-earned-non-oil-commodities-2014.html

Look at the source of those commodities. Cocoa alone contributes far more than your region contributes in non oil export trade.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by tpiah01: 4:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:

Read the comment above to get my perspective.

your perspective seems like something you've pretyped long before now and have been waiting for the opportunity to just dump it somewhere.

just saying.

Did you consider land mass when jumping to your conclusion?
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 4:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:

This a real stats for you about the non oil comodities of Nigeria as at 2014. Your comments is typical of a dishonest northerner who tends to pull facts out of thin air.
https://www.naij.com/499136-see-much-nigeria-earned-non-oil-commodities-2014.html

Look at the source of those commodities. Cocoa alone contributes far more than your region contributes in non oil export trade.

I'm quite aware of Cocoa's contribution and acknowledge it. I'm not here for a d1ck measuring contest, and I'm sure you never heard me claim leather was the largest contributor to Agriculture GDP
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 4:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
Dollyak:

I'm quite aware of Cocoa's contribution and acknowledge it. I'm not here for a d1ck measuring contest, and I'm sure you never heard me claim leather was the largest contributor to Agriculture GDP.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by fulanimafia: 4:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 4:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
tpiah01:

your perspective seems like something you've pretyped long before now and have been waiting for the opportunity to just dump it somewhere.

just saying.

Did you consider land mass when jumping to your conclusion?
So because of land mass that automatically entitles the northerners to the biggest share of the pie? Or does larger land mass constitute larger population?
Anyways, Nigeria needs a fair and transparent procees in the next census.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by Dollyak(f): 5:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
Anyways, I hope things get better for everyone in Nigeria. At the end of the day the commoners are innocent people going about their business, ignorant about the impact of their leaders. I hope common sense prevails.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by MyGeneration(m): 7:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
iyb:

Sorry darling you are nothing but a local champion travel around go to the north and see for yourself don't come here arguing about what they say in the books. Southerners think because they can speak English they are educated forgetting the fact that English is like a native language to them going by that analogy we have a lot of educated people in Arabic. Cheating is rife In your part with fake certificates rampant but you don't see that cos your eyes are blind.
U guys re more educated, yet ur ppl are awarded 2 over 200 for admission compared to southern States which need to score 140.... Yeah north is truly educated.
Re: Lagos State Needs Special Attention - See Why (map) by iyb(m): 8:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
MyGeneration:

U guys re more educated, yet ur ppl are awarded 2 over 200 for admission compared to southern States which need to score 140.... Yeah north is truly educated.
Very good clap for yourself go to buk and see how much is needed to get admission. There is no need arguing with you it's a waste of my time

(1) (2) (Reply)

CACAWA Fires Back At Mr Johnson Suleiman / Why We Struck In 1985 - IBB / Bombshell!!!!! What Nuhu Ribadu Said About Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.