Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,828 members, 7,906,040 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 01:02 AM

Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation (6015 Views)

Upcoming Pawpaw Farm Using Irrigation In Ogun State / My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak) / Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 9:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
I wanted to try my hands on some new and what came to mind was to try out pepper and ogu leave.
I carried out an extensive research on the vegetables e.g, the time to grow, vareties, soil type, dieseases, profitability, etc
Armed wit the needed info, I set out.

Am sharing pics too
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 9:23pm On Mar 29, 2016
The land

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 9:43pm On Mar 29, 2016
Prepared beds

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 9:53pm On Mar 29, 2016
Nursery

1 Like

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 10:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
Our water supply

1 Share

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 10:17pm On Mar 29, 2016
A month after trAnsplanting the pepper

1 Like

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 10:27pm On Mar 29, 2016
Ogu

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by drake2(m): 10:28pm On Mar 29, 2016
Since you are growing vegetables, i am concerned about the source and quality of irrigation water which i saw in your pictures.

You may be selling more than vegetables to your customers at harvest. Also, you are very likely gonna conciously introduce and increase disease and pest incidences in your vegetable farm.

Just my scientific facts and fears though, but plenty of Goodluck all the same.

1 Like

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 10:37pm On Mar 29, 2016
Pepper

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 10:47pm On Mar 29, 2016
Presently

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 11:01pm On Mar 29, 2016
More

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by chiomilisa(f): 6:14am On Mar 30, 2016
Learning. Please mangam what is the bed spacing and planting spacing inside the bed that you use for the ugu. Thanks and keep it up
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by Curiouscity(m): 10:01am On Mar 30, 2016
drake2:
Since you are growing vegetables, i am concerned about the source and quality of irrigation water which i saw in your pictures.

You may be selling more than vegetables to your customers at harvest. Also, you are very likely gonna conciously introduce and increase disease and pest incidences in your vegetable farm.

Just my scientific facts and fears though, but plenty of Goodluck all the same.

What do you think is wrong with his source of water? I am of the view that his source is a natural source. So please can you enlighten us?

5 Likes

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by drake2(m): 3:34pm On Mar 30, 2016
Curiouscity:

What do you think is wrong with his source of water? I am of the view that his source is a natural source. So please can you enlighten us?

Before before, them scientists use to think that, the muddier the water, the more plant nutrients it contains. But this is not so. I only frowned at the OP's water source because He or She is involved in vegetable cultivation. The chances of contamination (E.coli and the rest) is very realistic and also from some of the pictures of the fruiting pepper, isn't it obvious something was wrong with both the leaves and fruits?

May I quickly ask the OP, since an adequate background check was done before embarking on the project; how would you compare your yield with what you found in literature?

Did you guys know that, very clean vegetables which require no washing before eating are now grown in clean hydroponics?

Abeg nor vex, shutting my loud mouth. Back to my work now.
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 5:26pm On Mar 30, 2016
The water source is a clean river that flows from the lower Usman Dam in Bwari down to the Niger river. The muddy picture pics was taken afta a downpour.

We all the cost of drilling a borehole in Nigeria. And the financial impllication of going into agriculture. I only took advantage of the available resources at my disposal.

As for the yield, it surpasses our projection. I will say X3 of what was expended and still counting.

5 Likes

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by drake2(m): 6:43pm On Mar 30, 2016
Ok, very cool. I am happy to learn about your harvest index hiting x3.

Now that u have explained d reason for the muddiness, ayam ok. But All of us should take note that when farming vegetables, our sources and types of inputs matter alot.

Plants assimilate anything in soil Solutions indiscriminately and utilize d useful ones. The toxic ones, if they dont kill d plants are stored somewhere else that do not interfere with d plant metabolism and physiology.

In vegetables, when sometimes d whole plant is harvested for delicacies, need i say d rest?

Op weldone and Goodluck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by Curiouscity(m): 9:59pm On Mar 30, 2016
@MANGAM, after your backyard watermelon thread, I thought we lost you on Agric section. I didn't know you were working hard on a 'come-back'.
Great job here. Enjoy the fruit of thy labour. I know ugu market in Abuja is vast, and you go hammar!!
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 10:03pm On Mar 30, 2016
Curiouscity:
@MANGAM, after your backyard watermelon thread, I thought we lost you on Agric section. I didn't know you were working hard on a 'come-back'.
Great job here. Enjoy the fruit of thy labour. I know ugu market in Abuja is vast, and you go hammar!!

Thanks @curiouscity.
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by stinggy(m): 5:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
Always a delight opening your threads. May God bless your hustle Sir. Thanks for being an inspiration.
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 10:38am On Apr 01, 2016
stinggy:
Always a delight opening your threads. May God bless your hustle Sir. Thanks for being an inspiration.

May He bless our hustle

1 Like

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by chiomilisa(f): 1:28am On Apr 02, 2016
MANGAM:

May He bless our hustle

Please how many seed of ugu will cover 2 plot of land thank you
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by majorgr: 1:41am On Apr 02, 2016
pls how many months does it take this variety to mature from planting to fruiting?
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 4:13am On Apr 02, 2016
chiomilisa:

Please how many seed of ugu will cover 2 plot of land thank you

It all depends on the spacing you use in planting. If they re planted closely, it will consume more. the normal spacing is 1-1.5m

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 4:21am On Apr 02, 2016
Hw many months of what? Pepper or ogu?most vegetables requires 3-5months
majorgr:
pls how many months does it take this variety to mature from planting to fruiting?
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by uboma(m): 6:58am On Aug 02, 2016
Hi Mangam,

What is the update on this vegetable farm?

Have you harvested? What was the yield like? Did you get ready buyers?
I will like to meet with you especially on weekends to understudy your farm if you dont mind. I am in Abuja too.
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 2:17pm On Aug 02, 2016
We sell our produces @ the popular Gosa Market btw thursdays and fridays
Pm me so that we can chat more
uboma:
Hi Mangam,

What is the update on this vegetable farm?

Have you harvested? What was the yield like? Did you get ready buyers?
I will like to meet with you especially on weekends to understudy your farm if you dont mind. I am in Abuja too.
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by INFOTECH2: 6:03pm On Aug 02, 2016
MANGAM:

Bro

Nice job. How do you sell the Ugu? I mean the number of stands. And how long have you been harvesting?
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 6:23pm On Aug 02, 2016
@INFOTECH2, this project started in octo 2015 and was concluded in may 2016. We cut out the stems, 30 long stems goes for2500naira
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by MANGAM(m): 11:09am On Aug 03, 2016
4-dmonths of harvest. 30 long stems for 2500naaira[quote author=INFOTECH2 post=48125672

Bro

Nice job. How do you sell the Ugu? I mean the number of stands. And how long have you been harvesting?[/quote]
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by uboma(m): 11:35am On Aug 04, 2016
MANGAM:

MANGAM:
@INFOTECH2, this project started in octo 2015 and was concluded in may 2016. We cut out the stems, 30 long stems goes for2500naira
MANGAM:

cool money making venture...
I will send a PM to you soon.
Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by firestar(f): 5:03pm On Aug 04, 2016
Well done! cool

1 Like

Re: Growing Vegetables (pepper/ogu) In Abuja Using Irrigation by omotinugbonkace(m): 10:51am On Aug 08, 2016
drake2:

Before before, them scientists use to think that, the muddier the water, the more plant nutrients it contains. But this is not so. I only frowned at the OP's water source because He or She is involved in vegetable cultivation. The chances of contamination (E.coli and the rest) is very realistic and also from some of the pictures of the fruiting pepper, isn't it obvious something was wrong with both the leaves and fruits?

May I quickly ask the OP, since an adequate background check was done before embarking on the project; how would you compare your yield with what you found in literature?

Did you guys know that, very clean vegetables which require no washing before eating are now grown in clean hydroponics?

Abeg nor vex, shutting my loud mouth. Back to my work now.

Oga, are you implying that if I apply cow poo abi chicken waste for my vegitables, I go kill the people way go chop am?

Oga, are you implying that if I apply cow shit abi chicken waste for my vegitables, I go kill the people way go chop am? undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Melon(locally Called Egusi) / Farm Land Available for sale around Oyo state / Take A Look At The Unbelievable Onions A Girl Harvested From Delta State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.