Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,916 members, 7,872,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1033) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11988716 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) (1034) (1035) (1036) ... (16391) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
safarigirl:
he has a new toy for now, he will soon tire of her, but before then, he will return to his shitty play.

Let us all hope this little oppprtunist he put inside his house is an enduring woman for when his career begins to wobble.

And for the record, yes, I am hating on Musa angry
First Commandment of Nigerian football
Thou shall not hate any of thy national team players but Thou shalt love them with all your heart and soul.

On the front page thread about Musa scoring two goals yesterday, I just read this witty comment by someone: now that Musa has married a Christian lady his career has been REVIVED

But seriously I wonder why he had to divorce the first wife since Islam permits him to have four. Though many young Muslim ladies in contemporary times do not like it when the man wants to stretch the number beyond one.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:10pm On Jun 02, 2017
Joebie:
Central defense parings are very crucial. It is hardly changed if it's working. Awaziem will start alongside Ekong. It is the Right back position that is a toss up between Shehu and Omeruo.

Omeruo won't start as a central defender. He hasn't played that position for us MOST recently.

Awaziem and Ekong played CB against Corsica and Togo and that is enough to push out Omeruo who has played that position from 2013 AFCON to 2014 WC qualifeirs and series of other qualifiers.

You may give Awaziem the nod based on other factors but not based on chmemistry with the other CBs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
safarigirl:
na the work wey e dey do grin

Which work?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2017
I raised two points.

1. Awaziem's chemistry with Ekong recently
2. Omeruo has not played as CB recently owing to a better Balogun-Ekong partnership, also and when Omeruo did play as CB in the recent past he made costly errors.

Awaziem has proved to be a good replacement for injured Balogun, not only because he is good, but because he has bonded well with Ekong -- Chemistry

Icon4s:

Awaziem and Ekong played CB against Corsica and Togo and that is enough to push out Omeruo who has played that position from 2013 AFCON to 2014 WC qualifeirs and series of other qualifiers.

You may give Awaziem the nod based on other factors but not based on chemistry with the other CBs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2017
safarigirl:
Awaziem

Because he looks cute grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:29pm On Jun 02, 2017
zicky:
I bet you if Omeruo had play the game yesterday, the match would've ended 3-1. Error full the guy body, the s/Africa and Zambia game comes to mind.

Omeruo is another Yobo in the making...Error prone. And its sad because the guy held so much promise and now he can't even stand on his two feet. Omeruo has regressed a lot. Very sad. Dude should sit up and stop dozing off.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
Icon4s:

Who dey talk this one?

The only goal that will not count is the one scored during 'drills'. grin
you're right Sir..but to our brother Goodjoe that one count as well
he even prefer goals scored during drills to the ones scored in real life matches....
he takes stock of them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 1:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
safarigirl:
abeg, we are used to Musa and his flash in the pan moments, funny enough they always come with two goals. No be new wife cause am, after all, he had better luck with the old one.

Next game, he will return to his usual okada without control self

You and I are on the same page with with Musa.
If Victor Moses was around I will not play Musa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:38pm On Jun 02, 2017
Icon4s:

Which work?
defending

We have already discharged Omeruo's second, he's just hanging on these days. Like Joebie said, he's quite rusty in that role
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:44pm On Jun 02, 2017
Joebie:
I raised two points.

2. Omeruo has not played as CB recently owing to a better Balogun-Ekong partnership, also and when Omeruo did play as CB in the recent past he made costly errors.

Awaziem has proved to be a good replacement for injured Balogun, not only because he is good, but because he has bonded well with Ekong -- Chemistry

What Chemistry?

From just two low profile friendlies?

You are not Rohr and I am not Rohr.

But me will personal take Omeruo for that SA game ahead of Awaziem. Awziem that never made match day squads when Balogun and Omeruo were in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2017
safarigirl:
defending

We have already discharged Omeruo's second, he's just hanging on these days. Like Joebie said, he's quite rusty in that role

Rusty in that role? A role he plays every week in his club? Compared to Awaziem that plays for a Porto B team?

This is why Rohr will always break peeps here's hearts with his match day selections.

He did not rate Musa Mohammed highly even despite our high heaven's praise of the young lad here. Despite his excellent showings in two previous less competitive games he still never had confidence in him.

Where is Musa Mohammed now?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dijon: 1:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
TheSuperNerd cant withstand it anymore...His hard chin cant take it no more....LOL.
TheSuperNerd:
Plsss dont quote me to type trash ever again... Thank you.

FYI.... the game against Togo is rated.... It is an international game and the records of the game counts. Now carry your subtle Nacho hatred and leave my mentions. You forget you deal with one well schooled in psychology so I can smell the intentions of your posts light years away. Now Scram... smiley

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:55pm On Jun 02, 2017
safarigirl:
defending

We have already discharged Omeruo's second , he's just hanging on these days. Like Joebie said, he's quite rusty in that role

Omeruo's second. That is Efe Ambrose. I know that is where all these is going.

The way you guys bad mouthed Ambrose. Omeruo still holds lots of promises, he is not likely to go the way of Ambrose yet.

Despite the hatred for Echiejile here he remains one of Rohr's favorites. You cannot buy experience from the market. Same goes for Omeruo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dijon: 2:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
THE BOLDED GOT ME LAUGHING TILL I STARTED COUGHING HARD, COLLEAGUES HAD TO COME TO MY RESCUE BEFORE I PASSED ON. YOU NO GO KILL ME THIS WOMAN...
safarigirl:
abeg, we are used to Musa and his flash in the pan moments, funny enough they always come with two goals. No be new wife cause am, after all, he had better luck with the old one.

Next game, he will return to his usual okada without control self
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
It only took a couple games for Ekong and Balogun to show they were a great pair. Or should it take a tournament for two CBs to show playing understanding? What were those friendlies for?

Sure no one here is Rohr. And im making my comparison here with the CB position as context. Let me repeat Omeruo will not start as a CENTER BACK against South Africa. Let's wait and see.

Awaziem was super consistent for Porto B this past season. He is young and getting better and better. Omeruo, though young, is not improving at the same rate as Awaziem. No one is dismissing Omeruo completely. But we are talking about who will start as center back versus South Africa.

Icon4s:

What Chemistry?

From just two low profile friendlies?

You are not Rohr and I am not Rohr.

But me will personal take Omeruo for that SA game ahead of Awaziem. Awziem that never made match day squads when Balogun and Omeruo were in the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:18pm On Jun 02, 2017
If Troost start to make mistakes tomorrow people will bad mouth him. That's the game for you. It's the demand of being a sportsman -- consistency. Ambrose is not finished yet. If he gets his club career going well in a top tier league, he could get a recall in future.
Let's call a spade, a spade. Omeruo is not the Omeruo of 2014. We can't live based on the past. The team is always based on current form, as you can't win a current match based on your past performance.

Echiejile is still very much starting due to lack of competition #fact.
No one said he is finished.

An experienced player still have to be in good form

Icon4s:

The way you guys bad mouthed Ambrose. Omeruo still holds lots of promises, he is not likely to go the way of Ambrose yet.

Despite the hatred for Echiejile here he remains one of Rohr's favorites. You cannot buy experience from the market. Same goes for Omeruo.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:24pm On Jun 02, 2017
If Troost start to make mistakes tomorrow people will bad mouth him. That's the game for you. It's the demand of being a sportsman -- consistency. Ambrose is not finished yet. If he gets his club career going well in a top tier league, he could get a recall in future.
Let's call a spade, a spade. Omeruo is not the Omeruo of 2014. We can't live based on the past. The team is always based on current form, as you can't win a current match based on your past performance.

Echiejile is still very much starting due to lack of competition #fact.
No one said he is finished.

MODIFIED
Echiejile, Rohr's favorite in the Left Back role. Or did you mean just one of his favorites?

Icon4s:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 2:32pm On Jun 02, 2017
safarigirl:
of.course Musa will start in the absence of VicMo, when VicMo returns, he shall return to the bench.

Calabar girls are myth, not legend
Madam, you cannot know. You're a lady. Well, unless you're a *coughs* I won't say more than that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:40pm On Jun 02, 2017
Chaaaaaaiiiiiii....... It just had to be Chief Icon4s.... comedian-elite...... Hahahahahahahahaha

Icon4s:

Who dey talk this one?

The only goal that will not count is the one scored during 'drills'. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:41pm On Jun 02, 2017
French Journalist Rates Awaziem High Among Players Who Made Their Debut Against Togo

Mitchell Paul who watched the Super Eagles of Nigeria against Togo in their 3-0 win have given his view on the ten Nigerian players who made their debut in the friendly game.

The French journalists who has been covering African football for close to two decades said the future of the Super Eagles is assured judging by the rate at which young players are been given a chance by coach Gernot Rohr.

A total of ten players made their debut in yesterday’s game which is officially recognised by FIFA unlike the game against Corsica, which has no bearing on the caps of a player as Corsica isn’t an affiliate of FIFA.

” Ten promising players made their debut for Nigeria yesterday, and I saw a glimpse of what the future looks like for Nigerian football. Very bright if you ask me. Rohr has gotten a near perfect match of young but widely experienced players in the team”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” I was particularly impressed with the FC Porto defender Chidozie Awaziem who played in central defence alongside William Troost-Ekong. He was very confident on the ball and assured in duels. He is my top pick among the ten players who made their debut.

” Osimhen didn’t do badly after coming on, so too Mikel Agu, but Awaziem had a display to remember in defence for Nigeria. Porto have a real gem on their hands “.

Michael James

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/02/french-journalist-rates-awaziem-high-among-players-who-made-their-debut-against-togo/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:05pm On Jun 02, 2017
Rohr Salutes Alex Iwobi After Man Of The Match Display Against Togo

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has praised the performance of Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi in Nigeria’s 3-0 win over Togo in a friendly game decided last night in Paris.

Iwobi helped Nigeria start the game on the front foot with two assists in the opening 17 minutes of the game, both to Ahmed Musa who scored two of Nigeria’s three goals in the big win.

After the game Iwobi’s contribution was highlighted by the
manager, who was pleased with the manner they secured victory over Togo.

” We really got going very early into the game. Iwobi played a big part in helping us build momentum from the start of the game”, Rohr told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Togo responded very well in the second half just like every good team will do after going three goals down. We were dominant in the opening exchange. We have to keep the momentum going ahead of the South Africa game.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/02/rohr-salutes-alex-iwobi-after-man-of-the-match-display-against-togo/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:12pm On Jun 02, 2017
Nigeria 3-0 Togo; Five Things We Learned – Iwobi, Ndidi, Musa & Iheanacho In Review

The Super Eagles thrashed the Hawks of Togo 3-0 on Thursday in an international friendly in Paris and has set tongues wagging ahead of their AFCON 2019 qualifier against South Africa on the 10th.

Ahmed Musa scored a brace before Kelechi Iheanacho made it three all in the first half, as the Eagles showed their superiority over the Hawks in a game billed to prepare them for the clash against the South Africans.

And it was an impressive evening as the Super Eagles took their Togolese counterparts to the cleaners, but here are the five things we learnt from the match.

1. Ahmed Musa looks settled…marriage must be good

He scored twice within the first 20 minutes to equal the number of goals he had scored for the Super Eagles over the last two years. Overall, he looked sharp despite not playing often at Leicester and was a constant threat against the Togolese. We guess his new marriage has something to do with his new improved state of mind.

2. Iwobi is a star

The young attacker may not have scored in this match, but he was responsible for Nigeria’s first two. He was just too much for the Togolese, who had no response to his trickery and pace. He just needs to add goals to his game and if he continues like this…well, we can only guess how good he will become.

3. Iheanacho is a goal banger

The 20-year old may not be a proper number 9, but he keeps showing how good he is in front of goal. He has now scored seven goals in 10 games for the Super Eagles and if he continues at this rate, he will surely become Nigeria’s top scorer of all time.

4. Ndidi is future captain

The boy is pure class. For someone so young, the way he reads and interprets the game is mind-blowing. He always seem in control and calm in possession and is already looking like a future Super Eagles captain.

5. The Eagles are in the right direction

Not so many people knew the pedigree of Gernot Rohr when he took charge of the team and as a result, there were a lot of doubts as to his ability. But so far so good. Yet to lose a game, and the Eagles are now playing with so much confidence that had been lacking in the team for years. The future surely looks bright and if they keep at it, then they will land in Russia next year and possibly win the AFCON in two years’ time.

**Chris Oguguo

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/02/nigeria-3-0-togo-five-things-we-learned-iwobi-ndidi-musa-iheanacho-in-review/

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:24pm On Jun 02, 2017
Akpeyi Reveals When He'll Report For International Duty, Super Eagles Check Out Of Hotel

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Chippa United glovesman Daniel Akpeyi is still in South Africa, about a week after the conclusion of the South African Premier Division.

The Super Eagles goalkeeper has revealed that he will link up with his international teammates in Abuja this coming weekend ahead of the crucial African Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa.

With Wolves star Carl Ikeme not making the latest roster as a result of injury, it is a no-brainer that Akpeyi is everyone's pick to be in goal next Saturday at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles players that prosecuted the friendlies against Corsica and Togo had checked out of the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Paris as at 1054 hours Nigerian time, and are presently at the airport waiting to board a flight to Lagos.

Only yesterday, Gernot Rohr's side thrashed Togo in their last warmup game before their meeting with Bafana Bafana.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23271
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:27pm On Jun 02, 2017
The GK war is a sorry one. There is no clear number one in the absence of Ikeme.

TheSuperNerd:
Akpeyi Reveals When He'll Report For International Duty, Super Eagles Check Out Of Hotel

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Chippa United glovesman Daniel Akpeyi is still in South Africa, about a week after the conclusion of the South African Premier Division.

The Super Eagles goalkeeper has revealed that he will link up with his international teammates in Abuja this coming weekend ahead of the crucial African Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa.

With Wolves star Carl Ikeme not making the latest roster as a result of injury, it is a no-brainer that Akpeyi is everyone's pick to be in goal next Saturday at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles players that prosecuted the friendlies against Corsica and Togo had checked out of the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Paris as at 1054 hours Nigerian time, and are presently at the airport waiting to board a flight to Lagos.

Only yesterday, Gernot Rohr's side thrashed Togo in their last warmup game before their meeting with Bafana Bafana.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23271
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:27pm On Jun 02, 2017
Newcastle United On Brink Of Deal For Chelsea's Nigerian Teenage Sensation

Premier League newcomers Newcastle United are expected to wrap up a deal for Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham in the coming days, according to reports.

Chronicle Live's Lee Ryder has reported that the Magpies are hopeful of completing a season-long loan deal for the England U21 international in the next 48 hours if everything goes according to plan.

Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez has a good relationship with Chelsea manager Antonio Conte as both were regularly in contact while Ghana star Christian Atsu was on loan at St James' Park.

Abraham has attracted admiring glances from the likes of Everton, Leicester City and Brighton & Hove, but Newcastle are nailed-on favourites to secure his signature.

The 19-year-old ended the season with 23 goals for Bristol City in the Championship.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : bcfc.co.uk

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23270

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:30pm On Jun 02, 2017
Joebie:
I raised two points.

It's not just that he has bonded well with Ekong. That in itself is good but the greater good is that he defends well. From the reports so far both from the Corsica and the match yesterday the young man has defended well. As reported by owngoalnigeria.com, a French journalist who has monitored African football for 20 years rated Awaziem higher than all the debutants.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:31pm On Jun 02, 2017
Rohr To Drop Three Players Who Played In Win Over Togo Against South Africa

Three players from the Super Eagles team that defeated Togo 3-0 in last night friendly game are most likely going to lose their starting spot ,when the Eagles take on South Africa in Uyo later in the month.

Last night the Super Eagles of Nigeria performed admirably well in the win over Togo, but still some players who did very well in the game could yet lose their spot in the team to players who are expected back in the team for the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers tie against South Africa.

” No one can tell you if this is the team that will start against South Africa because we have some of our senior players and regulars staging a comeback in the game. But you never can say”, a close aide of coach Gernot Rohr told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” At least three players will face real battle to hang on to their spot in the team, because we have our stand in captain Eddy Onazi returning as well as regular defender Kenneth Omeruo, so that may see some players who played against Togo lose their spot.

” Also Daniel Akpeyi will return, and it’s well known that in the absence of Carl Ikeme. Akpeyi automatically becomes our first choice, but like I said we wait for the coach to make the call, but three players like I mentioned have work to do to remain in the team”.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/02/rohr-to-drop-three-players-who-played-in-win-over-togo-against-south-africa/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:32pm On Jun 02, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I just don't want you to work yourself up for nothing o.
Odegbami should appologise or bury his head in shame for all the nonsense he said about Rohr. That's all I am saying.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
I also implied that. In fact I posted that report a while ago.

Mujtahida:

It's not just that he has bonded well with Ekong. That in itself is good but the greater good is that he defends well. From the reports so far both from the Corsica and the match yesterday the young man has defended well. As reported by owngoalnigeria.com, a French journalist who has monitored African football for 20 years rated Awaziem higher than all the debutants.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:37pm On Jun 02, 2017
I also implied that. In fact I posted that report a while ago.

MODIFIED.
Miscommunication between a pair can be costly. That itself is equally important. The center back position is the most critical position. It can make an average keeper look very good (shutouts).

Mujtahida:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:37pm On Jun 02, 2017
Icon4s:

You may give Awaziem the nod based on other factors but not based on chmemistry with the other CBs.
i concur with your line of thought that omeruo should start alongside ekong. this is a qualifier we are talking about a high stakes game the pressure might get to awaziem but if rohr feels he's ready i'm cool with it. i trust rohr's judgment. although i just remembered kenneth had a stinker against the southies last time we met in uyo so he might not be the safe choice afterall
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2017
Ikechuckwu Ezenwa should not be allowed to mount the post else.... ok na. angry grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) (1034) (1035) (1036) ... (16391) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.