Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,763 members, 7,930,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 12:08 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12319396 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (16541) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:56pm On Oct 03, 2016
ChrisKels:
I think Victor Moses's excuses are becoming unbearable. I don't wanna believe what my mind is telling me, sort of feigning these minor knocks only to play again for his club the next week. Am beginning to doubt his commitment. Maybe am being too quick to judge and conclude... Just can't keep it no more!!!!!

We can not risk an injury prone player on that Zambian pitch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:59pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That is based on looking at Yekini's records in Africa and counting out Kanu's influential works in Europe.

When you look at accomplishments, Yekini is not in the top three.

Yekini is number one. He is our Moses, he led us to the world cup. In a team filled with at least 5 of our best ever players Yekini stood far our.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:01pm On Oct 03, 2016
I would have liked to see Nwobodo get a call.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:04pm On Oct 03, 2016
because of goals? So Finidi wasn't feeding him eh?? Finidi didn't stand out eh? Amuneke nko? Amokachi that was his foil nko??

Yekini wasn't even our stand-out performer at USA 1994. Or u wanna say the contrary?

BascoVanVeli:

Yekini is number one. He is our Moses, he led us to the world cup. In a team filled with at least 5 of our best ever players Yekini stood far our.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

You are talking leading to World Cup, Kanu is talking leading the First African team to win the first Olympics Gold medal in football.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:13pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
because of goals? So Finidi wasn't feeding him eh?? Finidi didn't stand out eh? Amuneke nko? Amokachi that was his foil nko??

Yekini wasn't even our stand-out performer at USA 1994. Or u wanna say the contrary?

Yes I stand by my statement. I used Moses on purpose becos he never saw the promise land, he never got to shine in the world cup but before that Yekini was Nigeria. His goals won us the afcon and qualified us for the world cup. On club level he was a star in Africa and Europe. I love Papilo but Yekini paved the way for him. Don't tell me about Yekini at the end of his career look at what he did.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You are talking leading to World Cup, Kanu is talking leading the First African team to win the first Olympics Gold medal in football.
Yes i cannot dispute such a big accomplishment but by that time Nigeria was a force, we had clout and respect. How did we get there? I am not discounting Kanu but we all know without Yekini nobody is looking in Nigeria for a striker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:20pm On Oct 03, 2016
Nooooo... I won't do that to "YE-KING"... I won't look at how his career ended. No way!!!

He had his injury woes which limited his impact in his twilight years. I won't look at those.

He's a true legend. Yes his goals took us to USA 1994 and he top-scored at Tunisia 94 and even Senegal 92. Amuneke's goals won us Afcon 94 not Yekini's. Yekini's took us to the final. He's a super legend.

But you can't say because he's a pioneer that the latter didn't outshine his achievements. It is normal for the glory of the latter to outshine the glory of the former.

So let's not apply sentiments. Yekini has his place in our football folklore and hall of fame BUT he isn't NO.1... Honestly speaking... He just isn't no.1

BascoVanVeli:

Yes I stand by my statement. I used Moses on purpose becos he never saw the promise land, he never got to shine in the world cup but before that Yekini was Nigeria. His goals won us the afcon and qualified us for the world cup. On club level he was a star in Africa and Europe. I love Papilo but Yekini paved the way for him. Don't tell me about Yekini at the end of his career look at what he did.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Nooooo... I won't do that to "YE-KING"... I won't look at how his career ended. No way!!!

He's a true legend. Yes his goals took us to USA 1994 and he top-scored at Tunisia 94 and even Senegal 92. Amuneke's goals won us Afcon 94 not Yekini's. Yekini's took us to the final. He's a super legend.

But you can't say because he's a pioneer that the latter didn't outshine his achievements. It is normal for the glory of the latter to outshine the glory of the former.

So let's not apply sentiments. Yekini has his place in our football folklore and hall of fame BUT he isn't NO.1... Honestly speaking... He just isn't no.1

But wat achievements? Yekini is our all time scorer not Kanu. He has an Afcon not Kanu. He was top scorer in 2 afcon's not Kanu. In green and white Yekini is number one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:37pm On Oct 03, 2016
Kanu has an olympic Gold not Yekini.

Kanu has Fifa U-17 World cup not Yekini.

Kanu has Two Caf Apoty Awards, Yekini has one.

Kanu made Top 6 in the world in 1996 not Yekini.

The "When Nigeria beat Brazil, Bebeto start to cry" Song was because of Kanu NOT Yekini. wink (lolll...)

All achieved in Green and White also... smiley

And nope we do not limit our rankings of these legends to performances in green and white alone.

We also look at their performances and achievements club-wise which went a long way to place Nigerian football on the world map in a more expansive way.

Kanu trumps Yekini here also.

Kanu deserves his place as N0.1.... Yekini has his place up there in the Top 5. Both are two of our very best of all time.

The hall of fame records are there for us all to see. Let's view from all perspectives and not limiting our perspectives to club only or greenANDwhite only.

BascoVanVeli:

But wat achievements? Yekini is our all time scorer not Kanu. He has an Afcon not Kanu. He was top scorer in 2 afcon's not Kanu. In green and white Yekini is number one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Kanu has an olympic Gold not Yekini.

Kanu has Fifa U-17 World cup not Yekini.

Kanu has Two Caf Apoty Awards, Yekini has one.

Kanu made Top 6 in the world in 1996 not Yekini.

The "When Nigeria beat Brazil, Bebeto start to cry" Song was because of Kanu NOT Yekini. wink (lolll...)

All achieved in Green and White also... smiley

And nope we do not limit our rankings of these legends to performances in green and white alone.

We also look at their performances and achievements club-wise which went a long way to place Nigerian football on the world map in a more expansive way.

Kanu trumps Yekini here also.

Kanu deserves his place as N0.1.... Yekini has his place up there in the Top 5. Both are two of our very best of all time.

The hall of fame records are there for us all to see. Let's view from all perspectives and not limiting our perspectives to club only or greenANDwhite only.

So u can bring up the olympics did Kanu score in the finals? Wat Kanu did at the olympics was wat Yekini had been doing since 1985 which is being our talisman. Does Yekini win the u-17 if he played? Maybe. Does he win the olympics? Maybe. What we do know is that Yekini is still our leading goal getter even though u claim Kanu as surpassed him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:59pm On Oct 03, 2016
Exactly! smiley

He's still our leading goals-king of all time and no one has touched that record yet.

He has his place in the finest corridors of our hall of fame.

But Kanu tops the list. It is just what it is... smiley

BascoVanVeli:

So u can bring up the olympics did Kanu score in the finals? Wat Kanu did at the olympics was wat Yekini had been doing since 1985 which is being our talisman. Does Yekini win the u-17 if he played? Maybe. Does he win the olympics? Maybe. What we do know is that Yekini is still our leading goal getter even though u claim Kanu as surpassed him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:01pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Am I saying he isn't a legend. I call him "YE-KING" gosh!!!

He's one of my soccer idols. He's super legendary.

I am only saying Yekini is NOT in the Top 3 of Nigerian football's Greatest and finest of all time based on all parameters put together.

That's my simple point.

I am saying, he can easily be top 3. In the age of yekini, how many african players were given opportunities at top clubs. You can only rack up trophies playing for the top clubs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:02pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I'm not as loquacious as you are.... Looollll

You love to drag talks and arguments with headless statements.

Too much talk is not needed. Facts and records are all over the place. Access them yourself and stop being lazy spilling sentimental comments all over the thread...

Yekini is not Top 3 Nigerian legends of all time based on all parameters concerned. #fact. smiley

So deal with it...

Sorry! grin we don't deal with talk talk no facts. grin

Kanu Nwankwo is never the greatest player Nigeria ever had. Sorry! Na king bench and substitution. grin

I lie? grin sorry. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:06pm On Oct 03, 2016
A certain Bruce Grobbelaar starred for Liverpool... He's Zimbabwean. But yep, he's only one.

I understand the points you are raising. You are playing the "pioneer" card. smiley

Now lemme ask.... Is today's era a guarantee that an african player will get his shot at a big club? Won't an african player have to work hard also?? Or he just rolls into a big club and win trophies coz we are in the 21st century and not in the 80s or 70s?

tbaba1234:

I am saying, he can easily be top 3. In the age of yekini, how many african players were given opportunities at top clubs. You can only rack up trophies playing for the top clubs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:07pm On Oct 03, 2016
King bench and substitution?? Loooolllllll.....

This is the only thing I enjoy about you. You're bloody hilarious.... Hahahahahahaha..... Looollll

forgiveness:

Sorry! grin we don't deal with talk talk no facts. grin

Kanu Nwankwo is never the greatest player Nigeria ever had. Sorry! Na king bench and substitution. grin

I lie? grin sorry. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:30pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Exactly! smiley

He's still our leading goals-king of all time and no one has touched that record yet.

He has his place in the finest corridors of our hall of fame.

But Kanu tops the list. It is just what it is... smiley

and that is purely ur opinion just like Yekini is number 1 in mine.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:33pm On Oct 03, 2016
Loollll... Actually... Not my opinion. All parameters put together proves and shows Kanu is the undisputed No.1 smiley

The records do not lie now do they? smiley

BascoVanVeli:

and that is purely ur opinion just like Yekini is number 1 in mine.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:47pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
A certain Bruce Grobbelaar starred for Liverpool... He's Zimbabwean. But yep, he's only one.

I understand the points you are raising. You are playing the "pioneer" card. smiley

Now lemme ask.... Is today's era a guarantee that an african player will get his shot at a big club? Won't an african player have to work hard also?? Or he just rolls into a big club and win trophies coz we are in the 21st century and not in the 80s or 70s?

Grobbelaar was a white Zimbabwean whose ancestors were europeans.

There were few africans in European top clubs unlike what obtains today. It is still hard for African players to make it to the top but it is far easier today than it was during Yekini's time. A striker with Yekini's record in Africa today would find himself in a massive club.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:52pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That is based on looking at Yekini's records in Africa and counting out Kanu's influential works in Europe.

When you look at accomplishments, Yekini is not in the top three.

Point of correction. It is based on Yekini's records in Africa and Europe combine.

So, you don't know he won Prata de Bola in Europe and scored Nigeria's first goal in the biggest FIFA ORGANISED COMPETITION? grin

Europe is Continental and not international, so is Africa.

Abi you wan tell us Pele did not achieve anything because he didn't play in Europe? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:55pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Loollll... Actually... Not my opinion. All parameters put together proves and shows Kanu is the undisputed No.1 smiley

The records do not lie now do they? smiley

No nations cup no world cup goal records sure don't lie smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:08pm On Oct 03, 2016
So na only Bascovanveli remember Kelechi birthday today? Y'all are so busy arguing about old stars and dead people, you couldn't even give a shout out to the young and living, thegoodjoe and thesupernerd, ogini?

Anyway, my phone has been dead the entire day, so lemme just use what is left of the battery now to wish Kelechi Iheanacho a happy happy 20th birthday.

Wanted to post something on IG. But nna, I'm shy grin

I pray he reaches the heights most of us know he can, I wish him many more years in tip flight football and many more goals to his name

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:13pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Who is Nigerias best/greatest striker of all time? Serious question
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:21pm On Oct 03, 2016
Quoting only half a quarter of the records.... Lolll...
Why not finish it? smiley Afraid u'll see what makes Kanu No.1? wink
BascoVanVeli:
No nations cup no world cup goal records sure don't lie smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:24pm On Oct 03, 2016
Mohammed Abou-treika comes to mind... An Egyptian legend with three Afcons and a couple of CAF champions league titles. He made his name in Africa.... He never played for a "massive club" in Europe.

What about that?

Another is Hossam Hassan.

tbaba1234:

Grobbelaar was a white Zimbabwean whose ancestors were europeans.

There were few africans in European top clubs unlike what obtains today. It is still hard for African players to make it to the top but it is far easier today than it was during Yekini's time. A striker with Yekini's record in Africa today would find himself in a massive club.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:26pm On Oct 03, 2016
This is rhetorical..... I have indirectly answered this sef.

Nigeria's greatest striker of all time is NOT EQUAL TO Nigeria's Finest and most successful player of all time. Tu comprends? smiley

goldfish80:

Who is Nigerias best/greatest striker of all time? Serious question

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:31pm On Oct 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Mohammed Abou-treika comes to mind... An Egyptian legend with three Afcons and a couple of CAF champions league titles. He made his name in Africa.... He never played for a "massive club" in Europe.

What about that?

How many Egyptians play outside their country? Most of them prefer to play within.

In Sub-Saharan Africa, we have Drogba, Etoo, Adebayour and even Diouf. If yekini was still at his prime, these are the names, he would have been compared with on the continent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:31pm On Oct 03, 2016
safarigirl:
So na only Bascovanveli remember Kelechi birthday today? Y'all are so busy arguing about old stars and dead people, you couldn't even give a shout out to the young and living, thegoodjoe and thesupernerd, ogini?

Anyway, my phone has been dead the entire day, so lemme just use what is left of the battery now to wish Kelechi Iheanacho a happy happy 20th birthday.

I pray he reaches the heights most of us know he can, I wish him many more years in tip flight football and many more goals to his name

God has blessed Iheanacho a lot and put a lot of smiles on his face. As he leaves the teenager level to Man Level, may God make his earlier blessings nothing compared to what he will do in the coming years of this wonderful footballer.

Better late than never. Happy Birthday Iheanacho. May God bless you with longlife, prosperity, good health, great goals and historic titles.

Baba did it for you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:32pm On Oct 03, 2016
I remembered his birthday and celebrated it on facebook. smiley

And don't be shy naa.... Just wish him directly a happy birthday o jare... Lol

Iheanacho leads another generation of footballers that shall one day come to be remembered "hopefully" as Nigeria's Second Golden Generation.... I pray he and the rest of his young Super Eagles team mates hit heights that will cement their places in the finest corridors next to the most glamorous that houses Nigeria's first Golden Generation all in Nigeria's hall of fame in Football... smiley

safarigirl:

I pray he reaches the heights most of us know he can, I wish him many more years in top flight football and many more goals to his name

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2016
You asked for an African striker in the 20th century or even 21st... And I gave you Hossam Hassan and Abou treika. Didn't Mido play in England?

The Glory of the latter just have to outshine the former. There are no excuses.

Things may look easier now to you but it's the same hardwork and effort a player must put in to be counted among the best.

After all, Finidi was in Yekini's 94 Eagles Golden Era and he won the UCL with Ajax.

This excuse of Yekini didn't feature for a big side na wa ooo..... He left his mark at Setubal... Yes, a modest side but that was his path.

tbaba1234:

How many Egyptians play outside their country? Most of them prefer to play within.

In Sub-Saharan Africa, we have Drogba, Etoo, Adebayour and even Diouf. If yekini was still at his prime, these are the names, he would have been compared with on the continent.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:38pm On Oct 03, 2016
forgiveness:

Point of correction. It is based on Yekini's records in Africa and Europe combine.

So, you don't know he won Prata de Bola in Europe and scored Nigeria's first goal in the biggest FIFA ORGANISED COMPETITION? grin

Europe is Continental and not international, so is Africa.

Abi you wan tell us Pele did not achieve anything because he didn't play in Europe? grin

You are talking Prata de Bola, Kanu is talking winning multiple trophies, including FA Cup with Portmouth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:41pm On Oct 03, 2016
I remember sometime back either in kickoff or Completesport ask fans to vote Nigeria greatest player of all time and I remember very well Kanu came top.

Happy birthday Nacho greater height, a legend in the making surpassing Kanu, jayjay n yakini record combine

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (16541) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Setaleonoz(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.