Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11987939 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (16391) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:48pm On Jun 13, 2017
Nigeria: Zira Advises NFF, Eagles' Technical Crew to Recall Enyeama

Emmanuel Zira, Chairman of Adamawa United Football Club of Yola, yesterday advised the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Super Eagles technical crew to bring Vincent Enyeama back from retirement.

Zira gave the advice in Abuja while reacting to the Eagles' 0-2 loss to Bafana Bafana of South Africa on Saturday in the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers.

The 34-year-old Enyeama is the team's former captain and former first-choice goalkeeper, and plays for French Ligue 1 clubside Lille OSC.

Zira said Enyeama's experience as both a goalkeeper and team captain was most needed in the team at this point, especially ahead of playing against Cameroon in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

"I am not saying that Daniel Akpeyi, our first-choice goalkeeper in that match, is not good. But I believe that Enyeama would not have conceded those goals he (Akpeyi) did.

"Enyeama gives the team leadership and quality, and that is what he does in his club Lille in France, keeping clean sheets.

"Goalkeepers are not usually restrained by age, just as in the case of Gianluigi Buffon of Juventus.

"Akpeyi is good, but we need a mixture of experience and youthfulness. So, I wish the NFF and the technical crew can call Enyeama back," he said.

NAN

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:52pm On Jun 13, 2017
goldfish80:

Sorry I had to do this. I couldn't help it. I didn't want you to get away with one.

What we're you thinking when you typed this? Just a few weeks ago you thought Kelechi should improve on his pressing game, mobility and help in build up play. You even acknowledged that this was the reason Aguero was ahead of him.
How come you're now changing the goal post? "dropping deep is not an option" you say?

The bolded was not a problem yesterday and I have said it before.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:59pm On Jun 13, 2017
forgiveness:

Because Iheanacho knew he was not going to get good pass from the midfield, he decided to stand like tree for one place, ba. Bhuuuhahaha! shocked sad angry

Your analyses is not doing the boy any good. You are just compounding the issue and making him look like an arrogant kid who thinks he has finally arrived. We saw his arrogant reactions when he was yanked out.

Oga, Iheanacho will not start the next match because he despised everybody including your humble self.

This is my line up for the next match

................................. Enyeama/Ikeme

...... Aina.......... Ekong....... Balogun........... Echiejile

......................... Agu/Onazi .................. Mikel ........

Victor Moses................Aluko/Iwobi ......... Simon/Etebor

..................................... Ideye

Modified

The passes were still coming. So what is your solution, stop following the balls. Please, I did not say Iheanacho stood. He continued making well timed runs. The solution was to sort who was sending the final ball with a change in personnel. We made the wrong choice and pulled out Nacho without addresses the true problem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:05pm On Jun 13, 2017
West Ham Bound Henry Onyekuru Voted Second Best African Player In Europe
June 13, 2017 Nigeria

IMG_3020
Super Eagles latest invitee Henry Onyekuru has been voted the second best African player in Europe behind Borussia Dortmund Gabonese forward Pierre Emerick Aubameyang.

In a poll conducted by France Radio, the forward who could join English Premier League giants West Ham United finished in second position, six points behind Aubameyang who finished with 32 votes.

He finished ahead of the likes of FC Basle Seydou Doumbia, Antalyaspor Samuel Eto’o and Lazio’s Diao Balde Keita in the poll where he was the only Nigerian in the top 20.

IMG_3088
Onyekuru failed to make the matchday squad in Nigeria’s 0-2 loss to South Africa despite making his debut against Togo in a friendly game played in Paris few days to the game.

The scorer of 24 goals for modest Belgium side Eupen will in the coming days sealed a move away from the modest Belgium side with a fee slightly above £7m placed on him as transfer fee.

Michael Ja

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/13/west-ham-bound-henry-onyekuru-voted-second-best-african-player-in-europe/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:06pm On Jun 13, 2017
forgiveness:

Nigeria: Zira Advises NFF, Eagles' Technical Crew to Recall Enyeama

Emmanuel Zira, Chairman of Adamawa United Football Club of Yola, yesterday advised the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Super Eagles technical crew to bring Vincent Enyeama back from retirement.

Zira gave the advice in Abuja while reacting to the Eagles' 0-2 loss to Bafana Bafana of South Africa on Saturday in the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers.

The 34-year-old Enyeama is the team's former captain and former first-choice goalkeeper, and plays for French Ligue 1 clubside Lille OSC.

Zira said Enyeama's experience as both a goalkeeper and team captain was most needed in the team at this point, especially ahead of playing against Cameroon in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

"I am not saying that Daniel Akpeyi, our first-choice goalkeeper in that match, is not good. But I believe that Enyeama would not have conceded those goals he (Akpeyi) did.

"Enyeama gives the team leadership and quality, and that is what he does in his club Lille in France, keeping clean sheets.

"Goalkeepers are not usually restrained by age, just as in the case of Gianluigi Buffon of Juventus.

"Akpeyi is good, but we need a mixture of experience and youthfulness. So, I wish the NFF and the technical crew can call Enyeama back," he said.

NAN

I think he meant the first goal.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:08pm On Jun 13, 2017
bigblangston:
If I could remember, you once clamoured for Salisu Yusuf to be the coach of the Super eagles when he won a friendly against Mali and Luxembourg, Even after the appointment of Rohr, you still wished it was Salisu that was engaged to coach the eagles. I wonder what changed now by your above comment

I clamored for Salisu Yusuf based on his earlier performances. However, he was not my first choice. It was always Amunike. Remember, Amunike was among Siasia's coaching crew with Salisu Yusuf as Coach and Amunike as the assistant. I expected Salisu to continue as head coacha and Amunike as tactician.

Concerning the game yesterday, we needed a tactical input and I suggest Amunike gets drafted into the technical crew.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:08pm On Jun 13, 2017
West Ham Bound Henry Onyekuru Voted Second Best African Player In Europe
June 13, 2017 Nigeria

Super Eagles latest invitee Henry Onyekuru has been voted the second best African player in Europe behind Borussia Dortmund Gabonese forward Pierre Emerick Aubameyang.

In a poll conducted by France Radio, the forward who could join English Premier League giants West Ham United finished in second position, six points behind Aubameyang who finished with 32 votes.

He finished ahead of the likes of FC Basle Seydou Doumbia, Antalyaspor Samuel Eto’o and Lazio’s Diao Balde Keita in the poll where he was the only Nigerian in the top 20.

Onyekuru failed to make the matchday squad in Nigeria’s 0-2 loss to South Africa despite making his debut against Togo in a friendly game played in Paris few days to the game.

The scorer of 24 goals for modest Belgium side Eupen will in the coming days sealed a move away from the modest Belgium side with a fee slightly above £7m placed on him as transfer fee.

Michael Ja

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/13/west-ham-bound-henry-onyekuru-voted-second-best-african-player-in-europe/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:10pm On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

Echejile would have been another problem entirely. Saturday just wasn't his day and playing him there would have been something else. We badly needed Ogu so that someone like Etebo could go there and operate but there was no Ogu

I will try and watch games of Ogu and Mikel Agu to see if their games can really sort our standing four problem. My bet is on Mikel Agu. I also feel Ndidi is up to the task.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:12pm On Jun 13, 2017
forgiveness:

There is nothing wrong if Isaac Success manager doesn't like him but there is problem if Solanke's club doesn't like him for refusing to sign contract. shocked

How much was Iheanacho bought by Manchester United? Chikili money. grin

Even if the club adopted Solanke as their only true son he still would not have played a minute all season. He is leaving because he knows he doesn't stand a chance at Chelsea, fact.

Ihenacho's had to go through Jovetic, Dzeko and Bony. U should at least show that feet some respect.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:14pm On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

See the problem I had with him was that I didn't really see his pace in that game. I was watching the match with my junior bro and even he was like of course everyone knows Iheanacho isn't pacy which made it difficult to operate against a high backline. I do not need to be a soothsayer to know that what the match needed was someone like Kayode to push the CBs backwards so that Iheanacho can do his thing without worrying about going offside. Iheanacho is a 9 no doubt, but this game wasn't built for him to play as A LONE FORWARD, he would have had a lot more joy if he played off a striker who would push the defenders back. I till now can't understand why Rohr subbed him but the way he left the pitch should be looked into, that was a poor poor show of sportmanship

I can not debate against it because I also suggested that on this thread during the game. Pull Etebo/Onazi off and go with a 4-4-2 formation and let Iheanacho play in the hold. Kayode could make the runs and Iheanacho feed him. What baffled me is that we made no tactical changes to address the lack of delivery to the striker. South Africa was there for the taking but we did nothing to take them out.

Hope coach Rohr addresses it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:20pm On Jun 13, 2017
Chaiiiiiii! This guy dey mock a whole Super Eagles because of the small win wey dem win us. We don become cannery bird wey dem dey cage, ba.! cry cry cry cry

Baxter: How I Caged Eagles in Uyo
June 13, 20170762
Stuart Baxter
Stuart Baxter

AFCON 2019 QUALIFIER

Bafana Bafana Head Coach, Stuart Baxter, is still enjoying the status of ‘man-of-the-moment’ following his spectacular plot that broke the jinx that had afflicted South Africa in previous encounters with Super Eagles.

Coincidentally, he was the handler of the team when Bafana Bafana beat Nigeria in a Mandela Challenge contest 14 years ago at Ellis Park, in Johannesburg.
He told Times Live in South Africa that he had never received as much text messages in his life as he did after his team beat Nigeria 2-0 last Saturday in Uyo.

This is reverse to what he experienced when he was fired in his first spell after he failed to qualify South Africa to Egypt 2006 Africa Cup of Nations.

He said even though he had just four days of camping as against the three weeks the Super Eagles had, he had to resort to intelligent gathering and consultations with relevant people who could help out.

He contracted Manchester United scouts to gather credible intelligent reports on the Super Eagles as they trained and played two friendly matches in France.

Baxter had ticked just about every box in his preparations since being appointed just over a month ago.

He selected a strong‚ well thought-out squad. He called Thulani Serero to explain the marginalised Ajax Amsterdam player’s omission.

He called Hunt for advice on his squad. Hear what he told the South African media: “We’ve had injury scares left‚ right and centre. We had to back off one of the trainings (on arrival in Uyo on Thursday) because the trip was too long and arduous.

“And I don’t know if it took us a bit of time to get into our stride‚ or if you just expect a storm in the first 20 minutes – I don’t know if it was us or Nigeria.

“But it just felt that after about 20 minutes the crowd went down‚ Nigeria started making mistakes‚ and we opened the pitch better. And once we started opening the pitch‚ then we started getting our players on the ball‚ doing things on the ball.

“Once the defending led to attacking play‚ I thought we dominated the game. We hit the post twice.

“The other reason I’m delighted is that you know that if you have a disappointing result‚ then straight away people are saying‚ ‘Ah well‚ you see. He’s good at club level but he’s failing again. So absolutely delighted,” Baxter concluded.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/06/13/baxter-how-i-caged-eagles-in-uyo/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cool You are highly welcome. grin

Martins eyes Eagles

OKOGBA

22 FEB 2017
Estranged Super Eagles striker, Obafemi Martins has told coach Gernot Rohr to consider him for selection in the build up to the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Obafemi who has played in England, Italy, Spain, USA, Russia and now China with Shanghai Shenhua said he wasn’t finished with his international career with the Super Eagles.

Obafemi Martins
“I am never through with international football. If the new coach of Nigeria Gernot Rohr needs me, I will gladly honour his call. I am fitter than ever. .

“You have to respect the quality of the young players who are coming through with the national team, they deserve to be given their chance in the team,” said Obafemi.

He argued that the Chinese league, which has continued to attract Nigerian players, was not as weak as people make it to be.

“Playing in China is way higher than in the past, we now have top model professionals in the league, so it’s no longer a case of if you go to China, you are winding down your career”.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/02/martins-eyes-eagles/amp/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:43pm On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Please stop this. The striker drops deep to help build up play. In this case, build up was not a problem. Is that too hard to understand? If build up is right, then the player must be in position for the pass.

In what you are quoting, did you not see help in build up? If the build up is okay, does it need help to you?

Haaaaa.

Go and watch the game and see Iheanacho's runs when the overhit passes happened.

so your point is that our build up play was better than Man City's own hence it didn't need Nacho's help?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:43pm On Jun 13, 2017
Martins: Super Eagles Must React Vs Cameroon After Bafana Shock

By Johnny Edward:

Nigeria and Shanghai Shenhua striker Obafemi Martins is optimistic the Super Eagles will bounce back from Saturday's 2-0 defeat at home to South Africa, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.
The three-time African champions slumped to their first home defeat in two years in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Uyo, and Martins says the inexperienced and young Eagles will learn from their mistakes.
"There were so many errors made during the cause of the game but give I to them they did their best," he told Completesportsnigeria.com.
"Its a test of their mental strength going forward so let's see how they react in their next game against Cameroon.
"It was obvious they ran out of ideas as the game continued and that was because of experience."

The Super Eagles will face African champions Cameroon in two World Cup qualifiers within four daysAugust.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/889555088?-21310:11479:1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:45pm On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

so your point is that our build up play was better than Man City's own hence it didn't need Nacho's help?

Yes because most teams in Europe, especially the EPL are very compact. The marking of Nacho was so poor that he drifted into attack almost effortlessly and repeatedly. In the EPL, Nacho will not see such space. With players like Silva, De Bruyne and Gundogan, they will lace easy passes.

Due to the compactness, the attacker has to drop deep to help increase the number in the attack midfield and make build up play easier.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:50pm On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Yes because most teams in Europe, especially the EPL are very compact. The marking of Nacho was so poor that he drifted into attack almost effortlessly and repeatedly. In the EPL, Nacho will not see such space. With players like Silva, De Bruyne and Gundogan, they will lace easy passes.

Due to the compactness, the attacker has to drop deep to help increase the number in the attack midfield and make build up play easier.

so you read what you just typed and it made sense to you? I agree, Iheanacho was perfect on Saturday, a performance worthy of the Balon D'Or
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:00pm On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

so you read what you just typed and it made sense to you? I agree, Iheanacho was perfect on Saturday, a performance worthy of the Balon D'Or

It is far easier to build up against South Africa than against a team like Stoke City, Hull City, Leicester City, Chelsea etc. Iheanacho can not have the kind of room he had in the game against South Africa in the EPL.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:01pm On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

Stop being ridiculous. Make honest analysis. How can you say Ballon D'Or when I said Iheanacho did not get good supply.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho did not get any quality service. All the final balls were extremely poor. Too poor for even Academy player. So Iheanacho does not deserve the blame.
Every other player should be blamed but not Kelechi? Is Kelechi a scared cow? Is he God?

Your claim that Kelechi wasn't marked by the South Africans will rank among your top gaffes. You're even out doing yourself in this one.

The South Africans played a high line and compressed play in the middle. This chocked our midfield, stopping them to disect their defence with ease. The question is if those thorough balls don't drop do not drop for a striker, shouldn't the striker try another hussle?

What part of Kelechi's game actually impressed you? Rohr certainly wasn't impressed, the reason why he yanked him off even while in search of a goal. If you ask me, that was a danming verdict by his manager irrespective of how you feel about it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:57pm On Jun 13, 2017
goldfish80:

Every other player should be blamed but not Kelechi? Is Kelechi a scared cow? Is he God?

Your claim that Kelechi wasn't marked by the South Africans will rank among your top gaffes. You're even out doing yourself in this one.

The South Africans played a high line and compressed play in the middle. This chocked our midfield, stopping them to disect their defence with ease. The question is if those thorough balls don't drop do not drop for a striker, shouldn't the striker try another hussle?

What part of Kelechi's game actually impressed you? Rohr certainly wasn't impressed, the reason why he yanked him off even while in search of a goal. If you ask me, that was a damming verdict by his manager irrespective of how you feel about it.

You are the one manufacturing ideas. Nacho made good runs, he was not offside in most. Only one to the best of my knowledge and that was due to him trying to meet the overhit ball. The ball was overhit repeatedly.

So you just want to blame for blaming sake. Please, we dissected the defence of the South Africans over and over again. The only problem was the balls were overhit if not, we would have been two or three goals up in the first half.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:04pm On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Please stop this. The striker drops deep to help build up play. In this case, build up was not a problem. Is that too hard to understand? If build up is right, then the player must be in position for the pass.

In what you are quoting, did you not see help in build up? If the build up is okay, does it need help to you?

Haaaaa.

Go and watch the game and see Iheanacho's runs when the overhit passes happened.
What else did he do when the balls couldn't locate him? Nothing!

An above average forward will hustle his way through. Kelechi knew he didn't do enough, that's why he was livid with himself. But somehow you will find a way to defend him.

This reminds of the argument we had after Manchester City vs Leicester City. A game you were full of adulation for Kelechi, not until I posted his stats which recorded he only touched the ball 11 times before he was pulled off. I believe mickeal2 will remember this incident because I recall he was shocked how much you were praising a below average performance by Kelechi before I pulled that stat.

I'm not saying it is bad to love a player, but you should find a way to give a balanced assessment of the guy.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2017
Kog45:
My man u are right but do we need to give reason for anybody's poor performance against South Africa.If we are trying to give reason for Nacho poor performance and bad conduct after substitution then we must give reason for Akpeyi poor performance to defence!abi what do u think,honestly enough of comments trying to shed any player from blame.The whole team was a disaster,mehn losing at home,two goals against South Africa.Imagine some are even pointing accusing fingers at Nigerian assistants not even Rohr for God sake.

My man our eyes w soon clear against Cameroon if Rohr failed to do d needful,imagine a Porto B defender starting up in Super Eagles line up and some are still expecting Alampasu a rookie and third division goalkeeper to manned d post for Eagles.

Honestly our player invitation should be review coz i don't see any reason inviting Ndidi,Onazi,Agu all DM and left Ogu out of d squad especially in d absence of Mikel Obi.Do we think Etebo can do d job?capital No,he lacked d class.

We need to ask Rohr one big question,what really stopped him from inviting Ideye to camp coz seeing Ideye,Mikel and Nacho build up towards Nacho goal against Zambia shows that pairing of d duo w suit eagles,though against Algeria Ideye was on d bench but we have Moses Victor on d field doing it with Nacho.

Rohr should not be deceived about all this rookies,it is only talented ones that can break into d team and gel not average ones like Awaziem,Ebuehi even talented Iwobi is not finding it funny.

I just hope Ikeme,Mikel,Moses,Balogun make d party against Cameroon even Ideye and a fit Anichebe coz am seeing physical and brutal Cameroon side.

You made alot of sense. Absolutely spot on.

If we are to make excuses about anyones performance, then no point throwing Akpeyi or anybody under the bus.

This personality cult people are trying to make out of some of these players is a very big shame. Some are even scared to blame Gernot Rohr. Shocking stuff.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 5:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
goldfish80:

What else did he do when the balls couldn't locate him? Nothing!

An above average forward will hustle his way through. Kelechi knew he didn't do enough, that's why he was livid with himself. But somehow you will find a way to defend him.

This reminds of the argument we had after Manchester City vs Leicester City. A game you were full of adulation for Kelechi, not until I posted his stats which recorded he only touched the ball 11 times before he was pulled off. I believe mickeal2 will remember this incident because I recall he was shocked how much you were praising a below average performance by Kelechi before I pulled that stat.

I'm not saying it is bad to love a player, but you should find a way to give a balanced assessment of the guy.

yeah I remember the argument. he was now sounding like Robert Huth was a defensive beast instead of just accepting that Iheanacho was poor, the exact same scenario is playing out now, me I am tired, everybody else saw what we both noticed during the match so I tire
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:52pm On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

yeah I remember the argument. he was now sounding like Robert Huth was a defensive beast instead of just accepting that Iheanacho was poor, the exact same scenario is playing out now, me I am tired, everybody else saw what we both noticed during the match so I tire

I think blaming Iheanacho borders on scandalous. We did not have a single shot on target, the coach takes all the blame in my book. Honestly Rohr made a poor call by removing Kelechi. He had been playing the boy for 90 minutes all this while and the first time there was pressure he removed him. Also that change had no effect because it was effectively the same setup we had on the field.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:08pm On Jun 13, 2017
After reading through some posts made after our match. This are my deductions...

1. Certain school of thought believes that 70-80% of the players in the team are just average and the team needs overhauling...

2. The other school of thought have the notion that the team's recent lackluster performance was due to the coach crew ineptitude and there is need reshuffling if we must go forward.

I am always of the opinion that a manager shouldn't change a winning team anyhow no matter the pressure be put on him. If there is need for an upgrade then the maximum number of new players to be called shouldn't exceed 3-4 new players no matter the number of players outperforming the regulars unless such coach is ready to sacrifice his team chemistry and understanding both on and off the pitch which same rules should be extended to starting line-up selection. But I was laughed @ this group of folks keep comparing club football with international football-both are way different...

This same set of people have been calling for the national team coach to quickly adopt the 3-4-3 formation cos it's the rave of the moment and most coaches are using it citing club examples thinking that we have players who can easily adopt and prosecute the new 3-man defence formation(MOSES AND ECHIEJILE were the players to be deployed to WBs)- I laugh. Just a slight deviation from our usual tactics of 4-2-3-1(4-5-1) to 4-3-3 formation with 4 defenders cost us dearly. how much more if we played 3 men at the back...
*NATIONAL TEAM FOOTBALL NEEDS MORE DISCIPLINE(tactical wise) COMPARE TO WHAT YOU CAN HAVE IN YOUR WEEK TO WEEK CLUB FOOTBALL cos no room for mistakes and I'll keep saying it we only have 4-6 of such players...

Finally to those saying our players are been overhyped, I haven't seen any OVERhyping here. Truth be said our media have been falling short in promoting our football both home and abroad. Hyping a player is an attribute of any typical football fan.

My question is "IF WE DON'T PRAISE OUR OWN, Who will ? The europeans , SAs, Asians, even the NAs do the same. Or haven't you heard of one certain Ordegard he was praised to the high heavens by european medias tagging him a future Ballon d'or winner without kicking a ball yet. Same goes with young sterlin, sanogo, Martial and other recent ones...
*IT IS NOW LEFT TO THESE BOYS TO LIVE UP TO THIS GREAT EXPECTATIONS FANS ARE PUTTING ON THEM* but to shut up is to make the outside world believe that we lack talents and qualities in football in Africa.

I'll need to stop here. *Other things calling.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 6:44pm On Jun 13, 2017
NFF Pay Rohr, Amuneke, Nkwocha, Others With Aiteo Money.

The Nigerian Football Federation have paid
the outstanding salaries owed the technical
adviser of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr and
27 other coaches, reports

Completesportsnigeria.com.
Rohr was reportedly owed five month salaries
while the other coaches were owed
outstanding salaries.

The NFF recently signed a N2.5 billion
sponsorship deal with oil company Aiteo
Group who will assist in paying the football
body's salaries.

According to a report on official website of
the Nigerian Football Federation, no fewer
than 27 coaches were paid their outstanding
salaries owed them by the body.
"The salaries of the Super Eagles’ Technical
Adviser, Mr. Gernot Rohr, have also been
settled up-to-date from the forex component
of the transaction with Aiteo," the NFF
announced on Tuesday.

The payments were made direct to the
accounts of the beneficiaries through NFF’s
Financial Consultants (Financial Derivatives
Company), appointed to manage the funds
from the sponsors upon verification of the
processes by NFF external auditors, PWC and
payment instructions from the NFF
secretariat.

"We are very happy to announce that we
have been able to pay a total of 27 coaches
all the monies they were being owed,
including some who worked with previous
NFF Boards in what we termed ‘legacy
payments," NFF second Vice-President and
the LMC chairman, Mallam Shehu Dikko
stated.

"It is our joy that the coaches can finally
smile to the bank. A labourer deserves his
wages, and that is why the present NFF
administration worked assiduously hard to
ensure the realization of this partnership.
" The NFF is grateful to Aiteo Group for this
breakthrough in making our coaches happy."
The coaches who were paid their outstanding
salaries include: Salisu Yusuf, Alloy Agu,
Fatai Amao, David Ngodigha, Ann Chiejine,
Bala Mohammed, Kabiru Baleria, Emeka
Amadi, Peter Dedevbo, Toyin Ayinla, Wemimo
Oni, Auwal Bashir, Manu Garba, Bala Nikyu,
Lateef Yusuf, Nduka Ugbade, Jolomi Atunne
Alli.

Others are Ernest Salolomo, Queen Dolyn
Akpan, Adamu Audu Ejo, Godwin Okon, Justin
Madugu, Gidado Usman, Florence Omagbemi,
Perpetua Nkwocha, Emmanuel Amuneke,
Christopher Danjuma. http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-pay-rohr-amuneke-nkwocha-others-aiteo-money/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:54pm On Jun 13, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I think blaming Iheanacho borders on scandalous. We did not have a single shot on target, the coach takes all the blame in my book. Honestly Rohr made a poor call by removing Kelechi. He had been playing the boy for 90 minutes all this while and the first time there was pressure he removed him. Also that change had no effect because it was effectively the same setup we had on the field.

Nobody is blaming him for the loss, however we are pointing out that he was very very poor

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:15pm On Jun 13, 2017
jieta:
NFF Pay Rohr, Amuneke, Nkwocha, Others With Aiteo Money.

The Nigerian Football Federation have paid
the outstanding salaries owed the technical
adviser of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr and
27 other coaches, reports

Completesportsnigeria.com.
Rohr was reportedly owed five month salaries
while the other coaches were owed
outstanding salaries.

The NFF recently signed a N2.5 billion
sponsorship deal with oil company Aiteo
Group who will assist in paying the football
body's salaries.

According to a report on official website of
the Nigerian Football Federation, no fewer
than 27 coaches were paid their outstanding
salaries owed them by the body.
"The salaries of the Super Eagles’ Technical
Adviser, Mr. Gernot Rohr, have also been
settled up-to-date from the forex component
of the transaction with Aiteo," the NFF
announced on Tuesday.

The payments were made direct to the
accounts of the beneficiaries through NFF’s
Financial Consultants (Financial Derivatives
Company), appointed to manage the funds
from the sponsors upon verification of the
processes by NFF external auditors, PWC and
payment instructions from the NFF
secretariat.

"We are very happy to announce that we
have been able to pay a total of 27 coaches
all the monies they were being owed,
including some who worked with previous
NFF Boards in what we termed ‘legacy
payments," NFF second Vice-President and
the LMC chairman, Mallam Shehu Dikko
stated.

"It is our joy that the coaches can finally
smile to the bank. A labourer deserves his
wages, and that is why the present NFF
administration worked assiduously hard to
ensure the realization of this partnership.
" The NFF is grateful to Aiteo Group for this
breakthrough in making our coaches happy."
The coaches who were paid their outstanding
salaries include: Salisu Yusuf, Alloy Agu,
Fatai Amao, David Ngodigha, Ann Chiejine,
Bala Mohammed, Kabiru Baleria, Emeka
Amadi, Peter Dedevbo, Toyin Ayinla, Wemimo
Oni, Auwal Bashir, Manu Garba, Bala Nikyu,
Lateef Yusuf, Nduka Ugbade, Jolomi Atunne
Alli.

Others are Ernest Salolomo, Queen Dolyn
Akpan, Adamu Audu Ejo, Godwin Okon, Justin
Madugu, Gidado Usman, Florence Omagbemi,
Perpetua Nkwocha, Emmanuel Amuneke,
Christopher Danjuma. http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-pay-rohr-amuneke-nkwocha-others-aiteo-money/

But is it wise to roll out their names like this in this country that is infested with hawks looking for who to kidnap or steal from?

Plus their relatives wey don dey ask them for money since will now kill their phone batteries with phone calls and messages. Na wa o.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:42pm On Jun 13, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

while some are trying so hard to put the blame on iheanacho, Thegoodjoe is doing well to balance the equation. Rohr removing Iheanacho was a wrong call. Thegoodjoe ia also giving excuse for Iwobi and awaziem so you guyz should leave nacho alone and focus on another player.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:54pm On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

Nobody is blaming him for the loss, however we are pointing out that he was very very poor
Iheanacho was not very very poor , the team in general was poor

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:28pm On Jun 13, 2017
Zambia defeated South Africa at home... 1-2 in a friendly... Unbeating runs ended!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:39pm On Jun 13, 2017
Humility017:

nacho and kayode is still better than that dude you places upfront.....to be honest

I understand the approach of Forgiveness sometimes you need a true striker to hold up play and push the CB's back and prevent them from linking up to the midfield.

I don't think Anichebe is a prolific goal scorer by any stretch of Imagination but he may cause more of a nuisance than Ideye I suggest.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) (1130) (1131) ... (16391) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.