Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,584 members, 7,878,651 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:12 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11907) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12019172 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11904) (11905) (11906) (11907) (11908) (11909) (11910) ... (16405) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 9:58pm On Dec 21, 2021
12large1:

He is definitely better than Collins and aina
You are very wrong sir. He his not even close to them in quality. Dude is as described above. He has no finesse or technical astuteness about his game. He his all about pace & power. Gra gra & insha Allah as quoted earlier fitted him perfectly. Injury to first choice leftback & his super agent factor is what his helping him out. He oftentimes looked naive positionally when defending.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:01pm On Dec 21, 2021
humility33:

EKONG should be replaced with bassey or akpoguma/Awaziem. I trust Coach Austin having been ex defender he knows better how to stabilise that defense
I don't think Ekong should be replaced. In his team's last game against Brentford, he played very well bar one moment loss of concentration. He has already shown improvements in his last games with his team. You can just drop him from the team like that, the worst case is to bench him.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2021
Danielnino00:

So, what level is Oviemumo? cheesy The Kante, Modric level?

Another of your boy that has spent practically all his career in the championship
No oh, ita because of his loyalty to his team and the coaching crew. He has vowed that he won't leave the championship until his team is promoted.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 10:15pm On Dec 21, 2021
lovewins:
Guys

Check out Eguavon Analysing the Eagles over time. He appears to be technically sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5KcdrfvaM

Eguavoen looks like my kind of man.

Thank you Eguavoen for recognising the potential in Ejuke, I recognised how much of a keen eye Eguavoen owns when he talked about encouraging Ejuke, something i kept talking about. He also talked about Ndidi being on a leash etc.

Thank you Eguavoen, you inspire confidence.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 10:31pm On Dec 21, 2021
Samueltemi337:
From that Eguavoen video we already know that he is going with a front three of Ejuke Osimhen Chukwueze

Nope... From the video I think he might decide to play Ejuke as a 10 considering the way he compared him to Okocha. I see him playing a front 3 of Dennis, Osimhen and Chuks with Ejuke at AM and Onyeka + Ndidi in midfield.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 10:33pm On Dec 21, 2021
zoboizee:

You are very wrong sir. He his not even close to them in quality. Dude is as described above. He has no finesse or technical astuteness about his game. He his all about pace & power. Gra gra & insha Allah as quoted earlier fitted him perfectly. Injury to first choice leftback & his super agent factor is what his helping him out. He oftentimes looked naive positionally when defending.

The good think with Zaidu though is that he actually has the pace, power, and stamina. His crossing is also not too bad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:01pm On Dec 21, 2021
maidaboi:
some one who is not watching will say that we are over hyping him because he has not scored or assist

Yes that's me

If you're not productive enough as a winger, then all your skills and dribbling is all for naught

If Messi and Lewandowski, Salah, Mane et al were not churning out good numbers, would we still be praising them?

They are ranked as good players because of their output and not just skill or dribbling

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 11:06pm On Dec 21, 2021
drDoom3:

The good think with Zaidu though is that he actually has the pace, power, and stamina. His crossing is also not too bad.

At least you admit that he has pace, power and good crossing… which one Collins get?? It’s time for football no nothing to STFU when they have no knowledge of the game.. it’s only an insane person that will watch Collins and zaidu and pick Collins..

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:25pm On Dec 21, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

No oh, ita because of his loyalty to his team and the coaching crew. He has vowed that he won't leave the championship until his team is promoted.

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:27pm On Dec 21, 2021
humility33:

EKONG should be replaced with bassey or akpoguma/Awaziem. I trust Coach Austin having been ex defender he knows better how to stabilise that defense
yimu, being an exdefender no mean anything
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:30pm On Dec 21, 2021
humility33:

Equeavon teams always concede but tend to score alot of goals
Later in 2006 afcon be worked on this and conceded just 2 goals in the whole AFCON and qualified with whopping 9 points from a group that has Ghana and Zimbabwe
we only played well against Ghana, struggled against Zimbabwe and was saved several times by Enyeama against Senegal. In the game against Ivory Coast we barely created any proper scoring opportunity just speculative shots and crosses

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 11:42pm On Dec 21, 2021
jihday:
we only played well against Ghana, struggled against Zimbabwe and was saved several times by Enyeama against Senegal. In the game against Ivory Coast we barely created any proper scoring opportunity just speculative shots and crosses

What about Tunisia? What about flogging Algeria 5-2 in oman and zimbabwe 5-0? His downside was that Brentford massacre and also losing to Ghana under 23 in 2011 but he beat Ghana 1 0

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:43pm On Dec 21, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Another excuse cheesy cheesy

Not even a fan of the guy ,but cut him some slack
do you know they bought an experienced Brazilian player from leverkusen, hoping Sanusi will play back up and learn from him? But na d guy dey learn from Sanusi now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:46pm On Dec 21, 2021
12large1:

What about Tunisia? What about flogging Algeria 5-2 in oman and zimbabwe 5-0? His downside was that Brentford massacre and also losing to Ghana under 23 in 2011 but he beat Ghana 1 0
was talking about Afcon that’s why I didn’t mention the Algeria and Zimbabwean games. Don’t have a clear memory of the Tunisia match and there’s no extended highlight on YouTube. I remember the Ivory Coast and Ghana games well, Although can’t make any conclusion now because we have different set of players with different skillsets
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:48pm On Dec 21, 2021
jihday:
do you know they bought an experienced Brazilian player from leverkusen, hoping Sanusi will play back up and learn from him? But na d guy dey learn from Sanusi now.
Tell them

That guy that ATM players frustrated him to be sent off in their last UCL group stage game grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 11:52pm On Dec 21, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Baba this question hard

I don’t even know what to say

Rohr never had any good Cv when he applied to coach Nigeria but with the golden generation of stars we have in our team, he succeeded. I believe Peseiro too will succeed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 12:39am On Dec 22, 2021
If we cannot hire a proven winner, we should just forget about a foreign coach entirely. SE shouldn’t be a place to build your resume. Proven winner (foreign coach) or just give out local coach a chance

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:38am On Dec 22, 2021
Gbam. If you are not good enough for your own country, you are not good enough to coach Nigeria.

12large1:
If we cannot hire a proven winner, we should just forget about a foreign coach entirely. SE shouldn’t be a place to build your resume. Proven winner (foreign coach) or just give out local coach a chance

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:25am On Dec 22, 2021
solonnachi:

Rohr never had any good Cv when he applied to coach Nigeria but with the golden generation of stars we have in our team, he succeeded. I believe Peseiro too will succeed
Rohr succeed? How
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:58am On Dec 22, 2021
drDoom3:

Nope... From the video I think he might decide to play Ejuke as a 10 considering the way he compared him to Okocha. I see him playing a front 3 of Dennis, Osimhen and Chuks with Ejuke at AM and Onyeka + Ndidi in midfield.
Simon should be biting his fingers right now. His relegation to the bench has no doubt.

He should be given an arm chair at the bench angry The guy don too fuc up.

The fact that Austin prefers Chukz and Ejuke is a delight to know.

We're so fortunate that this man knows the major loopholes in the team. It gives me joy.

Ejuke as a 10 is mouth watering.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:12am On Dec 22, 2021
lovewins:
Guys

Check out Eguavon Analysing the Eagles over time. He appears to be technically sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5KcdrfvaM
Impressive.
Maybe this is why no foreign coach has ever won the WC. Eguavoen carries Nigerian football history in his blood. No foreign will have that. They will just be artificial plugs.

Six footers. I watched an interview where Piers Morgan made this same observation about the Invincible Arsenal team.

What he said about Ndidi is the gospel truth. Ndid holds back. There's always this half - heartedness in the way he plays. Is it fear? I don't know.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:18am On Dec 22, 2021
babatundey5:
I love how he pointedout our key strengths and also mentioning two player who fit in well. Even a layman who follows Nigerian football over the years knows our strength is on the wings.
It's high time we developed other strengths so we don't become one style pony

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:39am On Dec 22, 2021
humility33:

Yeah 3 games will reveal much about his playing style but i am not too happy that he is stuck on the 4 4 2 formation.... which he has an alternative like 4 5 1 formation to make for counter and thick the midfield when playing against attacking minded teams like Senegal/Algeria
The point is that he analysed how the USA 94 team played and that does not mean that that this team will play 442. Did you see him use the current crop of players to analyze 442? No.

It's only natural that he'd talk about that 94 team and he even went beyond that team and talked about the team before that.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:53am On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

The point is that he analysed how the USA 94 team played and that does not mean that that this team will play 442. Did you see him use the current crop of players to analyze 442? No.

It's only natural that he'd talk about that team and he even went beyond that team and talked about the team before that.

I think the issu with Westerhoof is that he studied and understood our underlying football culture and then adapted and modified it
to produce that usa 94 team.
The problem with foreign coaches is that they are not like Westerhoof. They think we do not have any footballling history
and impose things on us. Africa can only develop by adapting and not copying.
Rohr i think made that mistake and he payed for it.
A lot of people here dont appreciate the fact that we have a footballing culture going back to the seventies and sixties and
it is a serious mistake.
Foreign coaches do not necessarily understand the mentality of our players, the best position for them, how to motivate them,
the formation they strive best in etc.
Westerhoof is a man that appreciates and understands Africans and Nigerians.
A foreigner that acts like Westerhoof will succeed but can we get one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:55am On Dec 22, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
Simon should be biting his fingers right now. His relegation to the bench has no doubt.

He should be given an arm chair at the bench angry The guy don too fuc up.

The fact that Austin prefers Chukz and Ejuke is a delight to know.

We're so fortunate that this man knows the major loopholes in the team. It gives me joy.

Ejuke as a 10 is mouth watering.

Ejuke cannot flourish as a ten but make una continue. It's like saying Tijani Babangida could play as a ten.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:19am On Dec 22, 2021
You guys are forgetting about Etebo Karo, our own tireless powerhouse worker,

one of the reasons we struggled to grind out result, which finally resulted to Baba Rohr redcard

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:28am On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

Ejuke cannot flourish as a ten but make una continue. It's like saying Tijani Babangida could play as a ten.
It is just an experiment bro. Ejuke has the skill set so trying him there is a sensible and a logical approach.

We all know he's a winger and not a ten, but the fact that he's skillful, agile and with a good passing ability, trying him at the 10 role is a great idea.

It is still under probability wether or not Ejuke can flourish in the 10 position, it's a 50/50.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:16am On Dec 22, 2021
MetalJigsaw:
It is just an experiment bro. Ejuke has the skill set so trying him there is a sensible and a logical approach.

We all know he's a winger and not a ten, but the fact that he's skillful, agile and with a good passing ability, trying him at the 10 role is a great idea.

It is still under probability wether or not Ejuke can flourish in the 10 position, it's a 50/50.

Playing as a 10 doesn't require just good dribbling skills but also good decision making.. Ejuke in my opinion still needs to improve on his decision making..
I don't buy into the idea of using him as a 10.. He isn't familiar with the role...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 10:08am On Dec 22, 2021
MetalJigsaw:

Ejuke has skill,but does he have d skillset to play 10 for us?

I don't think he will do so well in that position for now.
It's going to take a lot of time for him to master that position .
We don't have d luxury of time to experiment now.

And it's not every player who can dribble and run with d ball can successfully play 10.
I wonder how difficult it is to understand this.

If we can't find a natural 10,
there r other formations that does require natural 10 we can adopt and achieve results.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by babatundey5: 10:11am On Dec 22, 2021
If we can have the four players you mentioned on the pitch at the same time, it is going to be one of the the happiest moment for Nigerians. Dennis dropping into half space and winning a lot of second balls off osimhen, ejuke rotatating the midfield and flanks. The thought of this amaze me but football is played on the pitch not by imagination.
drDoom3:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by teeshet: 10:11am On Dec 22, 2021
You want to Bamba You wanna chill with the big boys Oya meno Ameno Oyadepe kirin Kekedimi Yana Kukirin Help me tell them how the thing goes How the thing goes Shebi meka tamoa Say my pikin don go join cult You want to bamba You wanna chill with the big boys Na you dey run kiti kiti You dey run kata kata No fit drink water drop cup Shey you see how the thing goes Do school go school you go dey press tools And na the parameters you wan dey too See even your papa no fit save you For all the calamity wey him pikin don do All the ni^^as don dey find you Because that ni^^as wey you peffe don puff Shebi meka tamoa Say my pikin don go join cult
You want to bamba You wanna chill with the big boys Na you dey run kiti kiti You dey run kata kata No fit drink water drop cup Shey you see how the thing goes
Because you made it to the top throne Let me see what my godfather can do?? We promised not to fight again Not to do anything that will hurt again Cos if he do na him he say e go hot again Another time you go run again Shebi meka tamoa Say my pikin don go join cult You want to bamba You wanna chill with the big boys Na you dey run kiti kiti You dey run kata kata No fit drink water drop cup Shey you see how the thing goes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:12am On Dec 22, 2021
Mujtahida:

once a player don dribble 2 or 3 players for super eagles match em don become the new jay jay and what follows is the cry for him to be deployed in the number 10 position

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11904) (11905) (11906) (11907) (11908) (11909) (11910) ... (16405) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christinu2, DrYa and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.