Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,738 members, 7,895,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 02:25 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12463) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12119164 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12460) (12461) (12462) (12463) (12464) (12465) (12466) ... (16448) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:28am On Jan 24, 2022
safarigirl:

In this case, NO.

A very resounding NO

The only reason you are saying this now, is because we conceded early and eventually lost. So, clearly, it is not even a logical statement.

It is not logical to you but it's to me even when we were not a goal down.

On the 36 minutes, I already suggested we change Iheanacho.

See my post below. So you are totally wrong.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 12:28am On Jan 24, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

“When you don’t have the players in fantastic clubs, playing the semi-finals or quarter-finals of the Champions League all the time, you cannot pretend to be better than Algeria or Egypt...Rohr undecided

But he defeated a much stronger Tunisia, cameroun and South Africa team last term to reach 3rd place. Our eye never clear well yet

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 12:29am On Jan 24, 2022
Mujtahida:

It's ridiculous that some couldn't see that we were declining with every game we played under Rohr. Right after we qualified for Russia, I sensed a shift and from then on, I knew Rohr wasn't good for us. Let Eguavoen fail a thousand times, I'd still support Rohr's sack

Rohr already beat Egypt 1-0 in a friendly with salah playing what are you guys insinuating

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:30am On Jan 24, 2022
safarigirl:

The people doing this are particularly mad, especially the ones trolling Iwobi.

They should drop their phones and go and sleep. Work dey tomorrow

Maduka should deactivate for now.

The ladies went ballistics before this game. Now add insults to the missiles from the sex starved ladies.... Mehn.

Some are also pained he didn't show remorse like Ekong and Omeruo after the match. My my. Rudeboy made it worse. He for just leave matter alone.

I don't like this one bit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:31am On Jan 24, 2022
12large1:

The same coach that already defeated cameroun, Tunisia, and South Africa to reach 3rd place. Nigerians problem is our boastful attitude

That he did that in 2019 does not mean he could do that in 2022

He was losing and drawing to teams that were not half as good as the teams he won in 2019, so, clearly, he had run out of new ideas

Our problems is our inability to move forward, and always thinking somebody that was bad would have been better, just because we encounter a setback

It is this same nonsense mentality wey una use vote Buhari. The suffering in 1984 did not teach you a lesson, you decided to bring him back again.

Rohr was not doing well based on his own indices, even he knew that, abeg, make we no dey do "what if", certainly not for Rohr.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:32am On Jan 24, 2022
daveP:
If Yobo is is the team already,then they should get Ejide and Enyeama to help find great GKs to me. These things seem like rocket science to NFF peeps sha.

Exactly! This NFF peeps term should end as quickly as possible.

I don't know what Alloy Agu has been doing there for 5 years without giving us a good goalkeeper. Na Ejunje dey worry our people.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:32am On Jan 24, 2022
daveP:

Maduka should deactivate for now.

The ladies went ballistics before this game. Now add insults to the missiles from the sex starved ladies.... Mehn.

Some are also pained he didn't show remorse like Ekong and Omeruo after the match. My my. Rudeboy made it worse. He for just leave matter alone.

I don't like this one bit.

He actually should deactivate

Rudeboy sef go talk?

I have been on NL since, I no go check anything, so, I really don't even know what is happening

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:32am On Jan 24, 2022
Odunayaw:
If I ask who should have been subbed out and for whom now you go de stutter

I will help you.

Half-time changes:

Onyeka in, Iheanacho out. Switch to 4-3-3, Aribo as AM.

Ejuke in, Chuks out. As Ejuke was not in matchday squad, Olayinka or Onyekuru in.

These two changes would have soliified our midfield and helped us close the gaps that led to a player having so much space to hit a screamer that close to our penalty area.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:33am On Jan 24, 2022
forgiveness:

It is not logical to you but it's to me even when we were not a goal down.

On the 36 minutes, I already suggested we change Iheanacho.

See my post below. So you are totally wrong.

Okay now, we change to Iwobi, na Iwobi come chop red, shebi that one follow for the game plan.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:35am On Jan 24, 2022
drDoom3:

I will help you.

Half-time changes:

Ejuke in, Chuks out. As Ejuke was not in matchday squad, Olayinka or Onyekuru in.

These two changes would have soliified our midfield and helped us close the[b] gaps that led to a player having so much space to hit a screame[/b]r that close to our penalty area.

I don't know how they didn't see that space. Too much.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:36am On Jan 24, 2022
safarigirl:

Okay now, we change to Iwobi, na Iwobi come chop red, shebi that one follow for the game plan.

The point remains the changes ought to have been done before the second half commenced.

That's exactly my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbloke(m): 12:38am On Jan 24, 2022
Mujtahida:

Do curb your failures in life cos if you succeed you'd see less of the need to tell people to curb their enthusiasm.
It doesn't even make sense to me. People should be like you and not be enthusiastic about something that gives them joy? What kind of heart would you have to encourage people to always be persimistic? If that is how you are, it's all good, but encouraging people in negativity and then rejoicing and gloating at their disappointment? What makes it weird is that he's nowhere to be found when things are going well. The simple interpretation is that you hide when people are progressing, waiting for them to fail and once they do, you jump out like "Ehen! I talk am". People go just dey avoid you.

@darkelf, if you say it's just banter, then no wahala. I believe you. I really do hope it's not how you are for real. It's not something good to be known for.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:38am On Jan 24, 2022
What is wrong with these naija influencers tonight grin grin

They are adding Ghanaian names and flags to their handles and doing follow back for Ghana. grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 12:39am On Jan 24, 2022
It's better to lose now than lose against Ghana in March. That would be more painful.

We restrategize.
Up Super Eagles!

Jose Peseiro, over to you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:40am On Jan 24, 2022
forgiveness:

Exactly! This NFF peeps term should end as quickly as possible.

I don't know what Alloy Agu has been doing there for 5 years without giving us a good goalkeeper. Na Ejunje dey worry our people.
Rewarding Incompetence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:41am On Jan 24, 2022
safarigirl:

He actually should deactivate

Rudeboy sef go talk?

I have been on NL since, I no go check anything, so, I really don't even know what is happening
He wanted to do Father Theresa and defend our boy. It only skyrocketed the backlash. Okoye family things i think.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:42am On Jan 24, 2022
daveP:
Rewarding Incompetence.

Honestly speaking. He is truly incompetent.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 12:42am On Jan 24, 2022
The only reaason why this defeat hurts me is that the hype on this team plus the expectation on them was too much to have them get knocked outt against a depleted Tunisian side

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:42am On Jan 24, 2022
drDoom3:

I will help you.

Half-time changes:

These two changes would have soliified our midfield and helped us close the gaps that led to a player having so much space to hit a screamer that close to our penalty area.
i agree with the halftime subs idea. 20mins we had no break through. But everytime they came close, we panicked cos they looked more composed near our box. That nacho yellow card also ruined the game. Badluck plenty too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:44am On Jan 24, 2022
forgiveness:

The point remains the changes ought to have been done before the second half commenced.

That's exactly my point.

Not sure it would have changed anything considering how that goal happened, but you're entitled to your belief.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:44am On Jan 24, 2022
mostob:
you have no point man...you have no point.
All I see here na ranting.
Talk better thing abeg

He has a point oo. He has A VERY BIG POINT.
It's up to you to decide if you want to see it or not.

Rohr was not a bad coach. Yes his football was drab and uninspiring but in the grand scheme of things he got us results. He was no where near a failure.

How many Nigerians expected us to qualify the way we did against Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia?

How many Nigerians expected us to do well at the 2019 AFCON considering our absence from the previous editions? He still took us to third place

At the World Cup,we lost 2:0 to a Croatia who ended up being World Cup finalists and 2:1 to an Argentina who needed a World Class French team to eliminate them. France also made it to the final.

Some had issues with how he always downplayed his players' capabilities. They called it a defeatist mindset. Shebi we've seen the one with Lion and Wolf mindset. Where did we end up? Round of 16

If you try to make a case for Eguavoen using Maduka's error, a case could also be made for Rohr using Akpeyi's error in the dying minutes.

I was in support of Rohr's sack but I wanted us to wait till after the AFCON. You don't sack a coach few weeks to a major tournament. The results would most likely be damning. We just experienced it.

We can placate ourselves all we want but that's the harsh truth. We should have waited till after the AFCON to sack him. I would have even preferred us to sack him after that 2018 World Cup but we didn't.

Wohh, I'm so emotionally distraught right now. I'm off to the gym. I need somewhere to pour out all this anger in me. Una goodnight.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:45am On Jan 24, 2022
forgiveness:

Honestly speaking. He is truly incompetent.
That department needs overhaul. I really miss Carl Ikeme. That was where the continuity ended.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:46am On Jan 24, 2022
daveP:
He wanted to do Father Theresa and defend our boy. It only skyrocketed the backlash. Okoye family things i think.

grin grin

Eyah, noble of him. He should go and give his namesake a boost, he will need it.

They're not even related at all, P Square are Anambra boys, Maduka is Enugu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:46am On Jan 24, 2022
There was something Eguavoen said in the post-match interview that made me realise that he is a good coach, but not an excellent one.

He said that you cannot change your playing style in the middle of a tournament.

Every excellent coach changes their playing style IN THE MIDDLE OF GAMES THEY ARE NOT PERFORMING IN, let alone in the middle of a month-long tournament.

Football is like chess. I am participating in a chess tournament. I have a specific opening sequence I used to win my first three games. In my fourth game, my opponent who is higher ranked plays a move right off the bat that shows he knows what my opening sequence is and he is ready to counter it. What do I do? If I continue with my sequence, I will be at a disadvantage because my opponent knows what I will play and is prepared. Every good chess player will IMMEDIATELY improvise.

From the first ten minutes, it was clear these Tunisians knew exactly what we planned to do and they were ready for it. A simple move Eguavoen could have made could have been to tell Chuks and Simon to switch wings. Very simple move and it could have messed up the Tunisians gameplan because the 3 guys marking Simon would immediately be confused and have to switch responsibilities to other guys unprepared for it.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 12:46am On Jan 24, 2022
COOL10:

He has a point oo. He has A VERY BIG POINT.
It's up to you to decide if you want to see it or not.

Rohr was not a bad coach. Yes his football was drab and uninspiring but in the grand scheme of things he got us results. He was no where near a failure.

How many Nigerians expected us to qualify the way we did against Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia?

How many Nigerians expected us to do well at the 2019 AFCON considering our absence from the previous editions? He still took us to third place

At the World Cup,we lost 2:0 to a Croatia who ended up being World Cup finalists and 2:1 to an Argentina who needed a World Class French team to eliminate them. France also made it to the final.

Some had issues with how he always downplayed his players' capabilities. They called it a defeatist mindset. Shebi we've seen the one with Lion and Wolf mindset. Where did we end up? Round of 16

If you try to make a case for Eguavoen using Maduka's error, a case could also be made for Rohr using Akpeyi's error in the dying minutes.

I was in support of Rohr's sack but I wanted us to wait till after the AFCON. You don't sack a coach few weeks to a major tournament. The results would most likely be damning. We just experienced it.

We can placate ourselves all we want but that's the harsh truth. We should have waited till after the AFCON to sack him. I would have even preferred us to sack him after that 2018 World Cup but we didn't.

Wohh, I'm so emotionally distraught right now. I'm off to the gym. I need somewhere to pour out all this anger in me. Una goodnight.

Don’t mind them o I just wish that our eye doesn't clear enough in March
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:47am On Jan 24, 2022
solonnachi:
It's better to lose now than lose against Ghana in March. That would be more painful.

We restrategize.
Up Super Eagles!

Jose Peseiro, over to you

Peseiro is even worse tbh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:48am On Jan 24, 2022
daveP:
That department needs overhaul. I really miss Carl Ikeme. That was where the continuity ended.

Y'all forget that Carl Ikeme was an emergency fix after Oliseh chased Enyeama out, we just hit a goldmine with him, and it helped that he was an older guy with lots of experience

Carl's cancer threw us into an unexpected ditch that we are yet to come out of, because we did not expect to be in desperate need of a goalie so quickly.

No one has been able to fill that hole till now, and I don't know if Alloy Agu ever really bothered to try. Everyone has just looked makeshift

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:49am On Jan 24, 2022
daveP:

Honestly! We don't need incompetent peeps around.

If Carl was okay, we go do well.

I don't know why NFF retained him till now. I don't understand.

Hopefully, he is kicked out an replaced with Enyeama

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:50am On Jan 24, 2022
forgiveness:

Honestly! We don't need incompetent peeps around.

If Carl was okay, we go do well.

I don't know why NFF retained him till now. I don't understand.

Hopefully, he is kicked out an replaced with Enyeama

Are they not fighting Enyeama?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 12:51am On Jan 24, 2022
lloydtruth:

We all know how Osihmen plays, he helps the midfield, bullies the opposing defenders, and takes his chances. Awoniyi was nothing of such and brought absolutely nothing to the team. Even the only goal he scored in the tournament na fluke.

How people compare Osimhen to Taiwo beats me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbloke(m): 12:51am On Jan 24, 2022
drDoom3:
There was something Eguavoen said in the post-match interview that made me realise that he is a good coach, but not an excellent one.

He said that you cannot change your playing style in the middle of a tournament.

Every excellent coach changes their playing style IN THE MIDDLE OF GAMES THEY ARE NOT PERFORMING IN, let alone in the middle of a month-long tournament.

Football is like chess. I am participating in a chess tournament. I have a specific opening sequence I used to win my first three games. In my fourth game, my opponent who is higher ranked plays a move right off the bat that shows he knows what my opening sequence is and he is ready to counter it. What do I do? If I continue with my sequence, I will be at a disadvantage because my opponent knows what I will play and is prepared. Every good chess player will IMMEDIATELY improvise.

From the first ten minutes, it was clear these Tunisians knew exactly what we planned to do and they were ready for it. A simple move Eguavoen could have made could have been to tell Chuks and Simon to switch wings. Very simple move and it could have messed up the Tunisians gameplan because the 3 guys marking Simon would immediately be confused and have to switch responsibilities to other guys unprepared for it.
Funny thing is I thought about this all through our run in this tournament. Why didn't our wingers switch often? It would have made us more dangerous. Those wayward crosses from Simon may have been better from the right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:51am On Jan 24, 2022
daveP:
in the sense that they saw a chance took it and got a goal, albeit cheap. Yes, outsmarted. We weren't smart with our dominance. So I can't call that outsmarting.

This is outsmarting to you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12460) (12461) (12462) (12463) (12464) (12465) (12466) ... (16448) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christinu2, elyte89, TheGoodJoe(m) and 19 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.