Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,943 members, 7,976,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 09:46 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14024) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12593477 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14021) (14022) (14023) (14024) (14025) (14026) (14027) ... (16811) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:53pm On Dec 17, 2022
Croatia 1 Morrocco 1 Oracle say so!
Both teams do not score a lot.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2022
Was the Morroccan team poisoned? What kind of jittery start is that? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2022
Training ground stuff
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 4:18pm On Dec 17, 2022
Morocco will likely lose this game. Most of the time when teams like this are on an incredible, unprecedented run and a superior team handles them, they kind of just slip off in confidence. İrrespective of what happens we give them their flowers. Very impressive run.
AndSunGorilla:
Now that Morocco is playing the 3rd place as the surprise team, I hope they don't go the route of other recent dark horses like Turkey, South Korea, Bulgaria, Costa Rica but rather be like their opponents today Croatia in being able to repeat this feat again and stay relevant.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 4:19pm On Dec 17, 2022
Your prediction has been correct so far. Let's see if it ages well. cheesy grin
Marjoribanks:
Croatia 1 Morrocco 1 Oracle say so!
Both teams do not score a lot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 4:21pm On Dec 17, 2022
benji93:
Your prediction has been correct so far. Let's see if it ages well. cheesy grin
Are you feeling it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 4:33pm On Dec 17, 2022
Eze would not have travelled for our pre 2014 World Cup friendliness if he never had some interest playing for Nigeria. The Morrocans exploits and the discrimination/abuse witnessed by Saka pre Euro and World Cup will definitely impact the decisions of some FB players in England to choose their country of origin. Nkethia, Eze, Adarabioyo, and many more might follow soon!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:53pm On Dec 17, 2022
cc: TheSuperNerd

You saw that second goal by Croatia. That is what I pointed out on beating a compact setup defense.

Just as in the early 90s and 2000s where people who could cross accurately from a long range and pick up strikers in the pool of defenders were a toast, people gifted in picking up angles from long range with curling shots will become hot cake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 5:01pm On Dec 17, 2022
Marjoribanks:
El The Morrocans exploits and the discrimination/abuse witnessed by Saka pre Euro and World Cup will definitely impact the decisions of some FB players in England to choose their country of origin. Nkethia, Eze, Adarabioyo, and many more might follow soon!

Truth is, this wouldn't play a significant role in their decision making. Most of these guys will make a U-turn cause they now realize they have little or no chance to play for their preferred countries and they also do not have time on their side. Even with the racism, if they have a pathway into those respective teams they wouldn't chose Africa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:03pm On Dec 17, 2022
Watch how both sides are good at keeping the ball and moving it. With the growth of possession heavy game, you must build a team of players that are gifted in passing and keeping the ball.

Both sides have been a delight to watch. Amarabat remains my player of the tournament. So gifted with the ball in tight spaces.

We can't expect to excel if we don't field exceptional players gifted with the ball and incredible with passing.

Those managing the team need to carry out a continuous comprehensive scouting if we intend to excel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 5:13pm On Dec 17, 2022
TheGoodJoe:
Watch how both sides are good at keeping the ball and moving it. With the growth of possession heavy game, you must build a team of players that are gifted in passing and keeping the ball.

Both sides have been a delight to watch. Amarabat remains my player of the tournament. So gifted with the ball in tight spaces.

We can't expect to excel if we don't field exceptional players gifted with the ball and incredible with passing.

Those managing the team need to carry out a continuous comprehensive scouting if we intend to excel.
Why play football if you don't intend to keep the ball? All teams play to keep the ball, the difference is that some teams are better at it than others. Which country or club play football without wanting to keep the ball. The reason why most are against tiki Taka is cos they don't allow the other team to keep the ball. Whenever the tikitaka team looses the ball, they press you with 3 or more players to recover the ball back immediately or foul the opponent players while the tikitaka team just passes the ball around in a very boring way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2022
Dele-Bashiru start and assist first goal for watford while Ekong is only good enough for the bench

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:01pm On Dec 17, 2022
Drake placed a bet on Argentina to win tomorrow. chai...Drake, who sent you? who sent you?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:01pm On Dec 17, 2022
Marjoribanks:
Why play football if you don't intend to keep the ball? All teams play to keep the ball, the difference is that some teams are better at it than others. Which country or club play football without wanting to keep the ball. The reason why most are against tiki Taka is cos they don't allow the other team to keep the ball. Whenever the tikitaka team looses the ball, they press you with 3 or more players to recover the ball back immediately or foul the opponent players while the tikitaka team just passes the ball around in a very boring way.

That is what I am explaining. Instead of hating a team because they are good at keeping the ball, boost our team to become better at keeping the ball.

This mean players with stamina, skill on the ball, intelligence in passing and ability to hit vital passes.

I am saying we need to improve our scouting and development program.

We can't keep the ball if we keep going with players that are not comfortable with the ball. If our players are not well versed in the passing game and if they lack the ability to make incisive and creative passes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:10pm On Dec 17, 2022
jihday:
Dele-Bashiru start and assist first goal for watford while Ekong is only good enough for the bench

It's about time we move away from Ekong as our starting CB.. Akpogunma,Awazeim, Ajayi and even Bassey are better options...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:14pm On Dec 17, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

That is what I am explaining. Instead of hating a team because they are good at keeping the ball, boost our team to become better at keeping the ball.

This mean players with stamina, skill on the ball, intelligence in passing and ability to hit vital passes.

We can't keep the ball if we keep going with players that are not comfortable with the ball. If our players are not well versed in the passing game and if they lack the ability to make incisive and creative passes.
Nobody is against keeping the ball. What we are on about is PURPOSE. What is the use of keeping the ball without scoring? I will take -100% possession with a win rather than 100% possession with a lose or a draw.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:17pm On Dec 17, 2022
Danielnino00:

It's about time we move away from Ekong as our starting CB.. Akpogunma,Awazeim, Ajayi and even Bassey are better options...
As far as GWG is concerned, Akpors is nowhere better than Ekong. Truth be told, we don't have defenders. Aside the two mentioned, who else again? Omeruo, Awaziem,Ajayi... I don't even know what's up with Val.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:20pm On Dec 17, 2022
Danielnino00:

even awaziem need to be left out for the main time. Our centre options should be bassey,ekong,akpoguma and ajayi

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:20pm On Dec 17, 2022
Danielnino00:

Those guys u mentioned are not better,u only prefer d names ,I have seen akpoguma enuf in eagles jersey,he’s just dere and for bassey I will prefer he maintains his. Lb position cos what I saw during Algeria,a good team with a sharp striker will punish us severely,he’s good no doubt but he’s not calm ,cbs are known for been calm and calculative in deir positioning and marking to avoid unnecessary mistakes and cards...odas mentioned too are not better Dan d poor ekong..we seriously need a new cv pairing...d only person dt gives me d confidence in dt defense is still d aging balogun.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 6:21pm On Dec 17, 2022
Danielnino00:

Akpos hasn't come good for us yet in the 2 friendlies he played, I daresay he was weakest link in our defense on both occasions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 6:29pm On Dec 17, 2022
All you have done is talk a dribble around yourself in your bid to maintain your subtle playdown stance on Pele's impact across his 3 WC wins.

You are the one missing the point of what is being debated. You said a whole lot of misinformation which I had to correct so ofcos you would be lost in trying to reply it all. grin
How did i misinform anyone? You are the one bringing in facts that are not relevant to the subject. I never mentioned Santos, you brought it up. I never said that South Americans playing in South America was a bad thing, but you suggested that that was my position. If something is not clear ask. It's ok. My entire argument was centered on 'he won three world cups narrative', making it seem as if he was overwhelmingly the best player in those tournaments. But there was at least one player who was close in contribution. Maybe even better as decided by the football journalists in 1958. This was my argument. Not Santos, Not anything else.

And not everything my dad gave me is on the internet today. Not everything. My dad had tapes/recordings of some of Pele's club games. These, I could not find on the internet. So don't try so hard to be smart about what you clearly don't know. You don't know the half of what My dad passed down to me when I was a boy. Just stick to what you know aiit.
It's never useful to bring relatives into an argument. You should know better. But I'll make an exception. We'll admit those files into evidence. Nobody is a kid here. I challenge you. Present files that are not available on the internet today. I am waiting. I won't fall for, you don't know half blablabla. Either you do or you don't. Very simple.
Do not assume you know more than the other person, especially if you don't know them. It's never useful. Quite strange someone who calls himself a researcher takes such a stance. Do better.

The only second hand info I see here is you only using peripheral contexts of history to have a Pele discussion which is again why I pick more holes in all you have stated, several of which are irrelevant as usual.
Peripheral? I am telling you what Fifa says. No be me manufacture info. This is my challenge. Can you present any information about anything that happened at that 1958 world cup that cannot be found on the internet?
You have been dodging the points I have made. You are not addressing my points head-on.

And you missed it on Garrincha in 1966. Read on and you will see your faux pas. Ofcos I expected a rebuttal but ofcos it is a disjointed one. One still doing its best to avoid the truth and face the central point.
Ok. Always throwing small jabs. cheesy grin

And Pele's 3 WC wins aren't overrated as you claim. Infact you are confused. How can you to claim to not call Pele overrated yet you are here trying so hard to label his World Cup Achievements as Overrated when you know those World Cup wins are tied strongly to the Greatness of the man.
Won't be overrated if you remember to mention that they won one without him cos he was injured. It was unfortunate, but it was a fact. If that didn't happen, we would be having a different conversation. His injury pointed out something about that team. It tells us the team was star-studded.
And please stop the 'you are confused' phrase. It's not useful. Most folks that use it do so out of frustration. Present your points, and let the other person present his. No need for phrases meant to make you seem smarter than the other person. Disagreements happen. Even the most reknowned experts of history differ on these kind of arguments. No be fight. Pele is probably not related to any of us.

You think you are so smart. Lol.... You literally want to water down his achievements yet still want us thinking you actually rate the man as a GOAT player. Bro... No dey disguise abeg. grin
I am actually very smart. No caps. cheesy grin. His exploits at Santos dey now. No be only world cup him play for now. You clearly saw that i ignored Santos in my first post. You should have wondered why. Nobody can argue Santos and win. Just like European teams dominate today, Santos was one of the teams that dominated then. The narrative has always been, oh he won 3 world cups, and they won't tell you his teams had some incredible players, so incredible that they won one without him.

FYI, Pele was crowned best young player of the 1958 WC. That was more than enough proof to show his insane impact in that tournament. He was 17. They weren't gonna give the Best player of the Senior WC tournament to a legally underage boy even when he was clearly the overall best.
Thank you for the information. The last time I checked Fifa still has that in their archives. But again, that wasn't my argument. My argument was that he wasn't given the best player award. That he was the best young player is irrelevant to my point. Nobody argues that Pele wasn't impressive in that tournament.

Like I already said, Didi became World Renowned after his showing at the 1958 WC. A case similar to Sofyan at this year's WC. So ofcos, he was rightly recognised at the WC. But the world conceeded it wasn't Didi's WC. It was Pele's. It was the beginning of a Legend that have lived on till this day UNSURPASSED.
Nobody cares. He was adjudged the best by football journalists. They were the most qualified to vote. The whole world doesn't get to vote, sorry. There's no way to confirm what you are saying. Na person wey carry award win award. You are just throwing out arguments that may be hard to prove. It was 1958. It was Pele's world cup too. It was his first and he was impressive. It announced him to the world. Moreso because he was 17. However, it was Didi's too. He was given the best player award.

And the point of them not being stars-studded in 1958 still stands. Brazil went into a that tournament a battered force no thanks to their 1950 failure and their misadventure in 1954 losing to the Mighty Magyars and guess what, Didi was in that 1954 Squad that failed.
No, it doesn't stand. You just no get anything better to talk on the matter. I would side with your argument for why it stands if at least half of the team that started in 1950/1954 started in 1958, especially during the knockout stages. The 1958/1962 argument works better. Sorry.

You make it look like Didi was more important but he couldn't even do it without Pele in 1954. Pele was still 13 anyway. Ofcos he was too young to help. grin
I am sorry, but he didn't have Garrincha too in 1954. No Zagallo either. cheesy grin. Besides no be me give Didi award now. Fifa adjudged that Didi was more important in 1958. No blame me abeg.

Brazil won 1962 without Pele's impact which stopped at the 2nd game no thanks to Injury. Garrincha did in the KOs in 1962 exactly what Maradona did in the KOs for Argentina in 1986. Both recorded similar stats leading their nations to WC Glory.
No be the same thing i don dey tell you since? Wetin consign Maradona and Garrincha? cheesy grin. That Garrincha is no the same level as Maradona abi wetin?

For 1962, I already clearly stated that it was mostly Garrincha but with Pele leading the way before his injury.
He wasn't leading anyway. He was injured in the second game. That wasn't leading the way.

For 1958 and 1970... it was Pele. And that is Undisputed. I don't have to speak too much again on 1970. You can even use Sofascore to help yourself. grin
Football journalists at the time disagree with you. They thought Didi was more valuable. Sorry.

Didi and Jairzinho were not bigger influences in both campaigns. Pele was the Man. The Main Man.

Till now, None greater or better have emerged. Pele is Undisputed.
I am taking the judgment of journalists who were there, however flawed they were over yours any day.
I can admit he was the main man in 1970, but even with that it wasn't by a mile as you are making it seem.

Johannes Cruyff, Ferenc Puskas, Franz Beckenbauer, Ronaldo, Zico, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Fontaine, Platini, etc... have all testified to Pele's GOAT of GOATs status.
Great players here. You mean R9 that keeps changing is mind. You mean Bobby Charlton that thinks Di Stefano is the best player he ever saw?Provide a link to where Fontaine mentioned that he was the GOAT. It seems you are just throwing some names of greats hoping it sticks. Maybe na you suppose do research now. cheesy grin

Argentines like Cesar Luis Menotti, Hugo Gatti, Jorge Valdano (who played alongside Maradona) all say Pelé is incomparable, the most complete player in history and the greatest of all time.
I could produce a list of players who think Maradonna was the greatest too. I am not sure why you think this is useful. All players in the 'arguable' GOAT conversation have great players singing their praises.

Now, to add more flavor to my point on Pele's undisputed status as the Carrier of his Brazilian Sides especially in 1958 and 1970, France Football singled him out for a Ballon Dor win in both those World Cup years... Check below.
Singled him out? Which kain language be that? Was he awarded? cheesy grin. Even at the time, Balon D'or was synonymous with European player of the year.

For 1962, it rightly went to Garrincha. In 1961, It was Pele which buttressed an earlier point made that Pele indeed came into the 1962 WC as the Undisputed Best in the World. But 1962 WC eventually became Garrincha's WC.... The Greateat Dribbler and Wing Wizard in football history.
What are you saying, man? Nobody cares if he came into the tournament on fire. He played the first two games and was injured for the rest of it. So simple. Abi him spirit carry dem through the tournament ni? Cos i don't understand what your point is.

So in a nutshell....

1954 - Didi and co played... No Pele... Brazil faltered.

1958 - Pele's first WC, Didi and Garrincha present but Pele was clearly the Main Talisman.

1962 - Pele came into the Tournament as the Undisputed Best Player on the planet but injury stopped him in Game 2 and Garrincha took over and clearly owned that World cup tournament.

1966 - Pele and Garrincha played the first game and scored. But Pele missed the 2nd game due to injury. Garrincha played that 2nd game and they lost.
Ok

This was also Tostao's and Jairzinho's Debut WCs

And in the 3rd game, hate it or despise it... Pele was kicked throughout the game and Portugal won. GARRINCHA DIDNT PLAY because HE WAS BLOODY DROPPED. There was also no substitutions back then in 1966 Check the fifa and Guardian articles below the Ballon dor graphics below this post.
. Na you suppose do research now. His biography says he was injured going into that tournament. They kick Garrincha all the time too. The guy na dribbler. I am not sure why the 'they kicked him' argument is useful here. They kick normal players not to talk of transcendental players.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrincha

1970 - Pele returns and He again was the Main Man.

1974 - No Pele. He has retired... Jairzinho, Rivellino and co couldn't do it.
Neither Jairzinho nor Rivellino is as great as Pele. No problem. Garrincha and co did it in 1962 without him too. No problem. Besides only two players from 1970 were in the forward-midfield combo in 1974. Rivellino and Jairzinho. The 1974 starting lineup was very different from 1970. You forgot to include that fact. You are welcome. cheesy grin

Below is also the summary of Pele's Dominant Years in Ballon Dor marks... Pele is Undisputed. Finito.... and do yourself some more reading on that era. You are again Welcome. wink
Not welcome, sorry.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2022
mostob:
Nobody is against keeping the ball. What we are on about is PURPOSE. What is the use of keeping the ball without scoring? I will take -100% possession with a win rather than 100% possession with a lose or a draw.

You can't have a purpose if you can't keep the ball. I am talking about our team, the super eagles and why we find it difficult to keep the ball as a team.

It is because we do not have players who are gifted with the attributes to achieve it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 6:40pm On Dec 17, 2022
elyte89:

Those guys u mentioned are not better,u only prefer d names ,I have seen akpoguma enuf in eagles jersey,he’s just dere and for bassey I will prefer he maintains his. Lb position cos what I saw during Algeria,a good team with a sharp striker will punish us severely,he’s good no doubt but he’s not calm ,cbs are known for been calm and calculative in deir positioning and marking to avoid unnecessary mistakes and cards...odas mentioned too are not better Dan d poor ekong..we seriously need a new cv pairing...d only person dt gives me d confidence in dt defense is still d aging balogun.

Balogun gives you confidence in defence grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:42pm On Dec 17, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Balogun gives you confidence in defence grin

Yes na, u go talk who Dey give u ur own confidence na,abi crime Dey dere grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2022
elyte89:

Yes na, u go talk who Dey give u ur own confidence na,abi crime Dey dere grin grin
All our CBs are not good

Na Balogun I even dey fear pass
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:47pm On Dec 17, 2022
benji93:
All you have done is talk a dribble around yourself in your bid to maintain your subtle playdown stance on Pele's impact across his 3 WC wins.

How did i misinform anyone? You are the one bringing in facts that are not relevant to the subject. I never mentioned Santos, you brought it up. I never said that South Americans playing in South America was a bad thing, but you suggested that that was my position. If something is not clear ask. It's ok. My entire argument was centered on 'he won three world cups narrative', making it seem as if he was overwhelmingly the best player in those tournaments. But there was at least one player who was close in contribution. Maybe even better as decided by the football journalists in 1958. This was my argument. Not Santos, Not anything else.

It's never useful to bring relatives into an argument. You should no better. But I'll make an exception. We'll admit those files into evidence. Nobody is a kid here. I challenge you. Present files that are not available on the internet today. I am waiting. I won't fall for, you don't know half blablabla. Either you do or you don't. Very simple.
Do not assume you know more than the other person, especially if you don't know them. It's never useful. Quite strange someone who calls himself a researcher takes such a stance. Do better.

Peripheral? I am telling you what Fifa says. No be me manufacture info. This is my challenge. Can you present any information about anything that happened at that 1958 world cup that cannot be found on the internet?
You have been dodging the points I have made. You are not addressing my points head-on.

Ok. Always throwing small jabs. cheesy grin

Won't be overrated if you remember to mention that they won one without him cos he was injured. It was unfortunate, but it was a fact. If that didn't happen, we would be having a different conversation. His injury pointed out something about that team. It tells us the team was star-studded.
And please stop the 'you are confused' phrase. It's not useful. Most folks that use it do so out of frustration. Present your points, and let the other person present his. No need for phrases meant to make you seem smarter than the other person. Disagreements happen. Even the most reknowned experts of history differ on these kind of arguments. No be fight. Pele is probably not related to any of us.

I am actually very smart. No caps. cheesy grin. His exploits at Santos dey now. No be only world cup him play for now. You clearly saw that i ignored Santos in my first post. You should have wondered why. Nobody can argue Santos and win. Just like European teams dominate today, Santos was one of the teams that dominated then. The narrative has always been, oh he won 3 world cups, and they won't tell you his teams had some incredible players, so incredible that they won one without him.

Thank you for the information. The last time I checked Fifa still has that in their archives. But again, that wasn't my argument. My argument was that he wasn't given the best player award. That he was the best young player is irrelevant to my point. Nobody argues that Pele wasn't impressive in that tournament.

Nobody cares. He was adjudged the best by football journalists. They were the most qualified to vote. The whole world doesn't get to vote, sorry. There's no way to confirm what you are saying. Na person wey carry award win award. You are just throwing out arguments that may be hard to prove. It was 1958. It was Pele's world cup too. It was his first and he was impressive. It announced him to the world. Moreso because he was 17. However, it was Didi's too. He was given the best player award.

No, it doesn't stand. You just no get anything better to talk on the matter. I would side with your argument for why it stands if at least half of the team that started in 1950/1954 started in 1958, especially during the knockout stages. The 1958/1962 argument works better. Sorry.

I am sorry, but he didn't have Garrincha too in 1954. No Zagallo either. cheesy grin. Besides no be me give Didi award now. Fifa adjudged that Didi was more important in 1958. No blame me abeg.

No be the same thing i don dey tell you since? Wetin consign Maradona and Garrincha? cheesy grin. That Garrincha is no the same level as Maradona abi wetin?

He wasn't leading anyway. He was injured in the second game. That wasn't leading the way.

Football journalists at the time disagree with you. They thought Didi was more valuable. Sorry.

I am taking the judgment of journalists who were there, however flawed they were over yours any day.
I can admit he was the main man in 1970, but even with that it wasn't by a mile as you are making it seem.

Great players here. You mean R9 that keeps changing is mind. You mean Bobby Charlton that thinks Di Stefano is the best player he ever saw?Provide a link to where Fontaine mentioned that he was the GOAT. It seems you are just throwing some names of greats hoping it sticks. Maybe na you suppose do research now. cheesy grin
Argentines like Cesar Luis Menotti, Hugo Gatti, Jorge Valdano (who played alongside Maradona) all say Pelé is incomparable, the most complete player in history and the greatest of all time.

Singled him out? Which kain language be that? Was he awarded? cheesy grin. Even at the time, Balon D'or was synonymous with European player of the year.

What are you saying, man? Nobody cares if he came into the tournament on fire. He played the first two games and was injured for the rest of it. So simple. Abi him spirit carry dem through the tournament ni? Cos i don't understand what your point is.

Ok

. Na you suppose do research now. His biography says he was injured going into that tournament. They kick Garrincha all the time too. The guy na dribbler. I am not sure why the 'they kicked him' argument is useful here. They kick normal players not to talk of transcendental players.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrincha

Neither Jairzinho nor Rivellino is as great as Pele. No problem. Garrincha and co did it in 1962 without him too. No problem. Besides only two players from 1970 were in the forward-midfield combo in 1974. Rivellino and Jairzinho. The 1974 starting lineup was very different from 1970. You forgot to include that fact. You are welcome. cheesy grin

Not welcome, sorry.

Just too much talk. No substance. Just deliberately moving away from the central focus to things not relevant to the discourse. Just trying so hard.
In the end, you got more information from me than you could handle.

How did you misinform anyone? Here's one example....

Your claiming Garrincha missed the last game due to Injury when he was actually dropped for still injured Pele in 1966 in the last group game.

The FIFA article below laughs at you

That is just how Special Pele is. A 25% fit Pele was still far more dangerous than any other Brazillian in sight.

Pele was major key to their 1958 and 1970 WC triumphs. Facts. He was part of their success in 1962 but Garrincha was the main man in Pele's injury induced absence. Also facts. Two facts can co-exist but you won't know that ofcos.

Just all talk, no direction. Lol

Again, you are welcome. wink No one is entitled to Ignorance. grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2022
Samueltemi337:
All our CBs are not good

Na Balogun I even dey fear pass

Den Dt means u re not getting my message

As bad as balogun form is at d moment,he’s our best option to me( in dt cb ),odas used so far,are not better Dan him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2022
We claim we want a team with playing purpose when we haven't even solved our passing deficiencies. Sometimes, I laugh at the opinions of many on this thread. They just don't understand what they truly want.

TheGoodJoe:

You can't have a purpose if you can't keep the ball. I am talking about our team, the super eagles and why we find it difficult to keep the ball as a team.

It is because we do not have players who are gifted with the attributes to achieve it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:54pm On Dec 17, 2022
Naaah, this is rocket science to them. They prefer workrate runners who are poor and heavy on the ball.

The fans complain yet even the fans themselves don't seem to know what the team actually needs. Smh.

TheGoodJoe:

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:58pm On Dec 17, 2022
Yeah. The goal and set-up were beautiful. Still cannot believe that was only Orsic's 2nd international goal. Sweet curler it was.

I recall your reference to Cole Palmer at Man City during an U21 game and his use of curling shots in exactly similar situations up against compact defensive setups.

Another guy to keep an eye on with this Skillset is Osimhen's teammate, Khvicha Kvaradona.

TheGoodJoe:
cc: TheSuperNerd

You saw that second goal by Croatia. That is what I pointed out on beating a compact setup defense.

Just as in the early 90s and 2000a where people who could cross accurately from a long range and pick up strikers in the pool of defenders were a toast, people gifted in picking up angles from long range with curling shots will become hot cake.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:05pm On Dec 17, 2022
Many folks laughing at Spain's playing style.... better look in the mirror. Your national team can't even string 5 passes comfortably in the middle and you are mocking Spain? Hahahahahahaha

Spain only lost out on penalties to my Morocco at th3 WC and on penalties to Italy at the last Euros.

Against France in the Last Nations league final, Spain outplayed France, no caps with young Gavi in the middle, Eric Garcia in defence and Oyarzabal up top. France's OVERquality saw them through in the end to a 2-1 win.

Before that game, we saw how Spain schooled the European Champs in Italy in the Nations league Semis. That is the same team you mock?

Our Super Eagles can't do a quarter of their basic passing sequences. That is a problem and should bother us but naah... mocking Spain make us feel better.

Let us be serious abeg. Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:11pm On Dec 17, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Many folks laughing at Spain's playing style.... better look in the mirror. Your national team can't even string 5 passes comfortably in the middle and you are mocking Spain? Hahahahahahaha

Spain only lost out on penalties to my Morocco at th3 WC and on penalties to Italy at the last Euros.

Against France in the Last Nations league final, Spain outplayed France, no caps with young Gavi in the middle, Eric Garcia in defence and Oyarzabal up top. France's OVERquality saw them through in the end to a 2-1 win.

Before that game, we saw how Spain schooled the European Champs in Italy in the Nations league Semis. That is the same team you mock?

Our Super Eagles can't do a quarter of their basic passing sequences. That is a problem and should bother us but naah... mocking Spain make us feel better.

Let us be serious abeg. Lol

Sincerely speaking,dis gives me headache watching professionals who can’t string 5passes wout losing possession ,as in I taya ,even if we can have 30percent of Spain passing prowess with purpose ,I will be so glad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14021) (14022) (14023) (14024) (14025) (14026) (14027) ... (16811) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KpagoGIN(m), lordofstrings, TheGoodJoe(m), charlesemeka85(m), solonnachi, Meliforme, kingphilip(m), CornOak(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.