Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,951 members, 7,924,967 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 07:28 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1423) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12278649 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1420) (1421) (1422) (1423) (1424) (1425) (1426) ... (16530) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:37pm On Sep 04, 2017
joseph1013:
Ezenwa had no business going for that ball like that. Inexperience.

But it would not have mattered if we had taken our chances. It was an off-day for Moses. He was too casual and should have done better.

We got punished for our lack of 'clinicalness'.
exactly that ighalo and Moses miss..

on ezenwa @ i believe the hired goal keeper trainer will spend time trash that with him...in case of next time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:37pm On Sep 04, 2017
It is official!!!!!!

I am sorry.... but I cannot take this anymore.... Elderson Echiejile is the worst player in our First XI.... he is the only player whose place needs serious bad-ass upgrade.. chaaaiiiiii...... shocked

How do we go about replacing this guy now? He has been our first choice left back for quite a good while....

His fullback partner on the other side, Shehu was a class act.... He made a game-high Four interceptions alongside Onazi who also had four...

Leon followed next with about 2 or 3 interceptions....

I cry for our left back position.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
edi287:
Disappointing. We need a ball playing cm to replace either one of Onazi or Ndidi. Ezenwa has done well over these 2 games but it was a poor mistake for him to make.
Zambia will be difficult, but we should be able to beat them.

When I talk say we need more natural CMF, people didn't take me serious. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
Humility017:

yeah...
I think next time Aina might be considered
I see those two Aina and Ebuehi as players who are raring to go...
any little opportunity they seize and wont let go

Expect Echiejile to start the next Match too. However if we secure the Ticket in the next Match, then expect to see Ebuehi and Aina play as RB and LB respectively.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
safarigirl:
I believe our initial target on this thread was 4 points, was it not? 4-0 kind of messed with our heads, else, I don't see why anyone should complain.

We planned to take a maximum of 4-points and we did....job well done to the entire team, we're on course
on point

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:39pm On Sep 04, 2017
Oasis007:

Cameroon kept their Jokers on the Bench. When they came on its almost certain they would score.

We secured the Point due to the resilient of the Players not the Game plan.

The game plan was excellent... The Cameroonians could not manage a single chance inspite of all the possession. Nothing changed with the sub. The Keeper just needed to keep his head.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
Oasis007:

Expect Echiejile to start the next Match too. However if we secure the Ticket in the next Match, then expect to see Ebuehi and Aina as RB and LB respectively.
let's get to field them asap...
I really don't like seeing the boy earning bench all day...
I still remember his reason for turning down rohr invitation the first time...
situations like this...will begin to make him feel he is not good enough for the SE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
I hope I never watch Nigeria play this negative. We are bigger and better than that. I believe the late Night out on Friday affected the concentration of the team. Rohr took out the Mikel too early and he gets to learn like other Nigerian coaches. Mikel is the thread that holds that team together.

We need to work on having a replacement for Mikel. Someone with intelligence both on and off the ball. Someone who can see gaps in the field and help plug them.

I feel K. Nwakali should be training with the team. Even if he is not making the final squad. We need him studying Mikel closely.

Grateful to Ezenwa for putting his body on the line to save that goal. That was courageous and earned my respect. Glad he did not injure.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43pm On Sep 04, 2017
I hope the players learn from this. When there is an important game ahead, ditch the grooving. There are times for that. Not when you have an important game ahead. It was clear they lacked the stamina from the game. All in all, I would have gladly taken for points before the two games. Okay with the result.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:43pm On Sep 04, 2017
Mickael2:
I think we have a serious serious problem going forward. It is dangerous for a team to fall apart whenever a particular star player gets subbed out or injured. This same thing is the reason why we lost at the 1994 world cup, the same reason we lost out to France for me. This Mikel-dependencia is a serious serious problem, Onazi-Ndidi does not work without Mikel, Ogu for me should have subbed in earlier, just like Mikel he isn't quick but he is calm in possession, these are the things we need. Forget Mikel Agu for now, he should not be coming in for Mikel at any time at all
True talk but kudos to d boys for d draw.Honestly u have a valid point,Mikel out midfield collapsed,but d big question why always Agu and not Ogu,we need another young midfielder in d class of Mikel or even better who can carry d responsibility in case Mikel is sub or not available,how i wish Alex Iwobi can fit in

On Ndidi and Onazi,pls what do u suggest coz it seems u are not comfortable with d two,meaning one should sit out.It's left for Rohr to decide but i believe before world cup things w take shape.

How do u see our keeper today,honestly in d absence of Ikeme we need Enyeama back ASAP, Akpeyi and Ezenwa belong to d same class and Rohr should stop toy with goalkeeping dept coz bad goalkeeping can destroy any teams.Akpeyi and Ezenwa are not world cup material.

Pls what can u say about Echiejele, honestly w should call a spade a spade,there is need to replace Echiejele and find good replacement, d guy is not getting it and some time i keep on wondering what is really wrong with him.I remember Keshi was forced to drop him during 2015 Acon qualifier,he was one of d player that failed Keshi woefully,apart from Algeria match d guy have been woeful.

I got your point d team need good chemistry to tame a very good opposition which must be source of worry for those who knows d game but i hope after sailing through w get our act together in a perfect way.

The selection or invitation should be broaden coz i don't see why player like Ogu would be invited but sat on d bench or not even making d squad and player like Agu w make it.Our bench need to be strong with player that can come in and show d difference just like US 94 squad.Watching Balogun, something tells can Awaziem do d same?this is world cup no need for sentiments, d best should be on d bench for d best.

Pls what can u say on Nwakaeme and Aron Samuel invitation and player like Kayode was left out,though Rohr said he doubt Kayode fitness due to pre season but it is glaring Kayode deserve to be in this squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 8:43pm On Sep 04, 2017
Good game people. It wasnt supposed to be a walk in a park. Could have been worse but for God. Dont wanna say anything bout the coaching crew for now.

Fly Eagles fly!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:43pm On Sep 04, 2017
Oasis007:

This ain't a Brawl Bro.... he's expressing his Opinion which I believe he's right. If you think he's wrong.... reel out facts and figures to back yourself.
Not a brawl at all. I am just quizzing his opinion. We held our own against them but for the goal. France beat Holland 4-0 and drew against Luxembourg at home. You think Cameroun was going to let us carve them into nice little perfect pieces?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
You just hinted in my next point.... Mikel Obi has no replacement in this team.

Once he leaves our midfield cannot seem to hold the ball anymore.... we need another ball holder and Orchestrator... one who is commanding in possession.

Time to open the books on Kelechi Nwakali.... the time is now.

TheGoodJoe:
I hope I never watch Nigeria play this negative. We are bigger and better than that. I believe the late Night out on Friday affected the concentration of the team. Rohr took out the Mikel too early and he gets to learn like other Nigerian coaches. Mikel is the thread that holds that team together.

We need to work on having a replacement for Mikel. Someone with intelligence both on and off the ball. Someone who can see gaps in the field and help plug them.

I feel K. Nwakali should be training with the team. Even if he is not making the final squad. We need him studying Mikel closely.

Grateful to Ezenwa for putting his body on the line to save that goal. That was courageous and earned my respect. Glad he did not injure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
It was perfect.. Or how many goals do we have to score away for you to agree we were executing the plan perfectly -- answer, one. We did just that, and we could have won this. Sometimes counter attacks are made cutting of the midfield by lunching long balls to the artackers.. I know we were capable I the win. Personally I would have subbed uwa for Aina. Switch Moses to AM after replacing Mikel -- yes I said so. Bring in Ogu instead of Mikel for more cover. In other words adopt a more defensive approach and choke up the midfield, while fixing our LB. like I said before, Shehu have found a home in RB. If anything, we were in danger of losing this game had the game been longer.

As for Ezenwa, I'm happy he was exposed in this game. It will be a blessing in disguise.

Oasis007:

Nah! It wasn't perfect. The Combo of Ekong and Balogun made it look like. The Midfield lost the Battle, couldn't win second Balls too.

The Team was set to hit the Cameroonians on Counter, did we succeed?! Poor touches and passes in Midfield didn't make it work.

BTW..... I really don't wish to argue on Team Performance rather to appreciate them all!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
Cameroon are officially out.

Algeria could have also been out if we had won today. But they are still in it. Which is even good for us as they need to beat Zambia tomorrow to still have any slim hopes.

How?

If Algeria win tomorrow they go to 4 points, 6 behind Nigeria. They will need to beat Cameroon(who are out) in Yaounde and pray Zambia beats Nigeria in Uyo.

Remember our final game is against Algeria away. They will need to win by 2-0, 4-1, etc to qualify.

It looks difficult for them but it is still possible(let me think as though I am an Algerian). But this possibility starts with beating Zambia tomorrow. And that is to our advantage because if Zambia wins the gap narrows to 3points and you know we play them next.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
I second Goodjoe's suggestion of bringing Nwakali to understudy Mikel Obi. Also why not give Ajagun an opportunity as well, let the coach test him and if he's not found good, then we discard him. Thankfully Joel Obi is also 'back' hope he stays injury free and yes Nwakali looks promising for me as well.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2017
We took four points from the reigning African Champions and we still dey complain. We did what we needed to do. Proud of the boys.

Cameroon is officially out
Algeria is also almost out.
Zambia is the only team with a shot

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2017
cromz:
let's hope and pray they don't score tomorrow then we hv surely qualified.
Yes oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:48pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ezenwa has been weighted in the balance and found wanting.

In the first half, Ekong told him to read and come for the long balls because it was very obvious he ought to have come out to pick those balls.

Ezenwa didn't read the ball before he went for a challenge that gave them the Salah penalty. Chai!

When he was tested with a shot, he showed weaknesses in his reflexes. If we meet top teams, he can't survive the bullet shots coming at him. grin

However, he is good at picking up aerial balls from set pieces. grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2017
Mickael2:

Joebie said so, not Goodjoe

TheGoodJoe:

I agree with you. This news is disappointing. After such a win, the priority of the players is to have a good hot meal and a long rest to revitalize their body for the next day.

I hope they change. The aim should be qualify and then celebrate the victory.

https://www.nairaland.com/3018619/new-super-eagles-thread-russia/1398#60090464
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2017
tbaba1234:

The game plan was excellent... The Cameroonians could not manage a single chance inspite of all the possession. Nothing changed with the sub. The Keeper just needed to keep his head.

grin

I always respect and enjoy your Analysis on this Thread but on this one I won't Sir. Kindly read SirGoodjoe submission on the Match..... it's Spot on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2017
safarigirl:
I believe our initial target on this thread was 4 points, was it not? 4-0 kind of messed with our heads, else, I don't see why anyone should complain.

We planned to take a maximum of 4-points and we did....job well done to the entire team, we're on course
Before the first leg we were quivering like leaves in the wind, praying for even a slender victory at home and possibly a draw away. But we had a feast on the first leg and for the second we became radical in our hopes but those guys have done well in the span of four days. Abeg dem try. It's so easy to talk and decry certain aspects of the game but I'd rather be grateful knowing it could have been worse.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2017
Oasis007:

grin

I always respect and enjoy your Analysis on this Thread but on this one I won't Sir. Kindly read SirGoodjoe submission on the Match..... it's Spot on.

I read it, I understand that people wanted a more positive attacking performance but we defended solidly and they should also get credit for that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2017
Nigerians are ungrateful lots, so you wanna go to Yaoundé and win 4-0 nil, common guys, these are the African champions and you want them to lie down for you to whip them 4-0 nil in their backyard? And who is blaming our courageous keeper or the left back? Pls this is a marathon, every country wants to be at the world cup. We have got 10 points and unbeaten in 4 games and still folks are abusing our players or the coach. What for?

We are just too emotional as Nigerians, some of us can't even last 5 mins on a soccer field and we have guts to abuse players who are holding their own against African soccer giants who have all won the afcon cup one time or the other.

It's not a must to qualify now when you still have two matches to go. There will be stiff competition nah

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2017
tbaba1234:

A draw at home against Zambia seals it.. It is a good result, we are almost there.
Zambia for some reason are making me nervous. Hopefully they can lose tommorow to ease tension.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel Agu has a lot of work to do to justify his inclusion in the team
Echiejile got moses overworking instead of tormenting the Cams.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:52pm On Sep 04, 2017
edi287:

Zambia for some reason are making me nervous. Hopefully they can lose tommorow to ease tension.

I want a draw in Algeria if possible... Then we need only a draw in Uyo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
grin

Someone was happy we didn't get the Points so that Algeria won't feel complacent and play poorly against the Zambians.... LOL!

We would honorably book a Spot in Russia had we won the Match. Let's stop heating up the Arguments and looking Excuses.

We got 4 deserved Points against the African Champions for God Sake! We should rejoicing not mourning Dudes!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
Impressed with Ezenwa. Liked his commanding presence in the box. Dealt well with aerial threats. Timed most of his runs. In the case of the penalty, he was right coming out but should not have committed. Making himself big in the box and waiting for cover.

Highlight of the day was the save of a powerful shot and then putting himself on the line. He was good. More confident in him any day than Akpeyi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 8:54pm On Sep 04, 2017
When I said we needed Azubuike in the midfield, i know what I was talking about. He is the only player in my view that can hold a midfield together almost as well as mikel does. Forget backwater league, if its in you, its in you! And notice this too. Each time the dude gets suspended or something, Nigeria team always struggled. Check u23 nations cup semifinal and the semi final at the Olympics. Seriously, a serious manhunt needs to be done for Mikel's replacement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:55pm On Sep 04, 2017
edi287:

You believe Zambia can come to uyo to upset the eagles? Haba, some of us no get liver sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:55pm On Sep 04, 2017
forgiveness:

When I talk say we need more natural CMF, people didn't take me serious. grin

Yeah we do need a CM. I don't trust that Ndidi - Onazi axis.. they should be competing for a place instead of playing together. For now, we should either try out Ogu or move Mikel to CM and play someone like Etebo or Iwobi as a 10 but we need Mikel in the final third...Iwobi is a great 10 but he needs to work on his stamina.
This is definitely an understated problem we have . It was annoying watching the lack of control in the midfield.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1420) (1421) (1422) (1423) (1424) (1425) (1426) ... (16530) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ThanosKilla(m) and 24 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.