Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,863 members, 7,872,862 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:39 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15658) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11987713 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15655) (15656) (15657) (15658) (15659) (15660) (15661) ... (16391) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:07pm On Jan 30
toluxe0075:
I saw this crazy prediction on twitter. Just want to see how today’s fixtures will pan out.

Flawed prediction.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 11:08pm On Jan 30
TheSuperNerd:
I was hoping to meet my maroc boys in the semis and beat them. Osimhen for use Romain Saiss, Aguerd and Hakimi do suya.

But as Dem no serious, then I gotta settle for SA or Cape Verde once we get past Angola.

One game at a time

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:09pm On Jan 30
Egypt in 2008 is laughing at this. A standout exception. That triple back to back Egyptian super team.

Although your statement is generally true.

Barryseal:
These Arabs must hate West Africa. They don't do well here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:10pm On Jan 30
Exactly what my post portrays.

Sportilitica:

One game at a time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:10pm On Jan 30
Sportilitica:

One game at a time

Wayo wayo. One game at a time. Football nobi 1 + 1 judging from this tournament.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:12pm On Jan 30
And that is the end of North Africa in the AFCON.

We're down to 5 West African, 2 Southern African and 1 Central African country

Quarter Finals promises to be another movie.

I think we can all say now with certainty that AFCON is the greatest football tournament in the world!

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 11:13pm On Jan 30
These Supersport commentators really feeling themselves huh grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:13pm On Jan 30
ChrisKels:
Victor Orakpo, 18-year old Nigerian striker from the VOE Football Academy in Nigeria has joined OGC Nice on a 3yr deal.
See my department boy o.😂😂😂😂

I move. Make i no tok much. He's damn talented sha.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bannedlargedx2: 11:14pm On Jan 30
Omo there’s no more minors in African football sha. I hope that SE don’t underestimate Angola

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:14pm On Jan 30
Omo these supersports folks don Dey get mouth o they are already dreaming

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 11:15pm On Jan 30
I told them!
Marjoribanks:
South Africa drew Lesotho today. No tears!

Zimbabwe drew Rwanda away. Rwanda defeated South Africa 2 nil

South Africa defeated Morrocco. No tears.

Nigeria drew Lesotho. Tears.

Nigeria drew Zim away. Tears!

But Morroco that South Africa defeated and Senegal that needed 10 minutes extra time to defeat Niger and a last minutes controversial penalty to defeat Zim are favorites? Dey play!
Ivory Coast that labored to a 1 nil win over same Lesotho is a favorite too? Dey play!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:16pm On Jan 30
Goke7:
Did Morocco underrate South Africa? I don’t understand
I think they did. Despite absence of two key attackers, they still underrated these counterattack kings. Plus Hakimi forgot his primary duty too. That Mvala na solid defender.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 11:18pm On Jan 30
Ppogbae:
Patrice Motsepe masterclass!

If you know, you know grin grin

Forget that thing
Game was won fair and square on the pitch

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 11:21pm On Jan 30
Ppogbae:
These Supersport commentators really feeling themselves huh grin
like no be small, can't wait to see their faces when SA is kicked out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 11:21pm On Jan 30
This Friday! The Super Eagles will deliver again!!
Only Nigeria and Ivory Coast are former champions in the last decade left in the Competition!
Marjoribanks:
Maybe or Maybenot! We shall know in few days time!
Nevertheless! A team with Iwobi, Bassey, Zaidu, Aina, Onyeka, Onyedika, Aribo, Boniface, Lookman, Chukwueze, Simon, Ajayi, Bruno, Osayi, Kelechi and the current APOTY is one of the most formidable team any African country will face!

Nigerians have nothing to be anxious about! The Super Eagles will deliver!

My prayer is they all stay fit!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:23pm On Jan 30
daveP:
I think they did. Despite absence of two key attackers, they still underrated these counterattack kings. Plus Hakimi forgot his primary duty too. That Mvala na solid defender.

So much arrogance when hakimi wanted to play the penalty he was almost struggling to snatch the ball from the ref

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 11:26pm On Jan 30
South Africa struggles with the West African physicality. Their speed and technical proficiency on the ball proves to be a match against North Africans time and time again.
If they can improve on their physicality, they will rule Africa.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Princezibk: 11:36pm On Jan 30
daveP:
See my department boy o.😂😂😂😂

I move. Make i no tok much. He's damn talented sha.
I believe you wanna cast his age 😫🤪

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Princezibk: 11:39pm On Jan 30
TheSuperNerd:
I was hoping to meet my maroc boys in the semis and beat them. Osimhen for use Romain Saiss, Aguerd and Hakimi do suya.

But as Dem no serious, then I gotta settle for SA or Cape Verde once we get past Angola.

🤣🤣🤣
I pray 🤲🏽 our eagles 🦅 turn up against Angola 🇦🇴

Make shame to catch us oo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:40pm On Jan 30
Goke7:
Omo these supersports folks don Dey get mouth o they are already dreaming

Lol

Soon as SA finished celebrating their second goal, I enter house because I no wan see those supersport commentators and their hyping. Morocco has a very poor AFCON record normally. Here no be World Cup, that pedigree nonsense doesn't apply. At least dem go drop small for FIFA ranking.

Nigeria is the only AFCON heritage team left in the competition. Wild stuff.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:41pm On Jan 30
Ppogbae:
Patrice Motsepe masterclass!

If you know, you know grin grin

Na lie. That ref was clearly favouring Morocco. South Africa even had a clear pen he overlooked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 11:55pm On Jan 30
charlesemeka85:
As first reported by SCORENigeria, a major pay row is boiling in the Super Eagles camp at the 2023 AFCON after outstanding bonuses and allowances of the team have yet to be paid despite a Government approval to clear these monies.

It can now be reported that the cash crisis in the Super Eagles has taken a new dimension after several senior players fell out with captain Ahmed Musa for “not fighting” for the team.

SCORENigeria learnt that the senior players accused Ahmed Musa of taking sides with the NFF leadership as it concerns payments for them.

One of the senior players who recently captained the team in the absence of Ahmed Musa had a personal confrontation with the captain on this vexed issue.

It was alleged that Ahmed Musa has failed to carry the rest of the team on discussions concerning their welfare.

“There is a serious issue of trust between Ahmed Musa and the other players when it comes to pursuing their entilements,” one of the players told SCORENigeria

“They believe he has not represented their interests.”

Some of the players have already warned they will go “above and beyond” their captain and take the matter to a higher level soon.

“How do you expect Ahmed Musa to take on the NFF to get the entitlements of the team when they did him a very big favour by getting him on the AFCON squad?” another source rhetorically asked SCORENigeria

Are these sort of news about money payment always premeditated? Why does it always have to reoccur. Both male and female teams. It is even peculiar in many African countries. In Ghana they had to fly money to Brazil to share.

In America, I recall that the US women team was advocating for equal payment with their male counterparts. Theirs is not that they are being owed.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 12:07am On Jan 31
DrKlever:
Why are the Ivorians supporting Morocco. That's quite weird.

Morocco 🇲🇦 defeated Zambia 🇿🇲 in the last group match which allowed Ivory coast 🇨🇮 to qualify for the knockout stage. The Ivorian fans are grateful to that.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by theophilusj31(m): 12:09am On Jan 31
Nigeria should play that quarter final clash against Angola with every breath in their soul,

I don't see SA or cape Verde beating NIgeria,but Angola?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 12:13am On Jan 31
TheSuperNerd:
My Moroccan boys have done themselves in. A shameful way to crash out.
Hakimi penalty miss.
Amrabat red card.
That SA freekick.

You get to the WC Semis and can't get past the Afcon Round of 16.

Worst is you are being beaten by boys from Kuvuki land.

Afcon >>>> World Cup.

Argue with your laptop/phone screens.

Lol

South Africa very much played with the spirit of their leading Club, Mamelodi Sundowns, while Sundowns have mastered beating North Arfican clubsite like Raja Casablanca and their Egyptian counterparts. I guess this helps the national team translate and understand the north African teams as well. Not surprising why South Africa beat Egypt in 2019 at home, and then beating Morocco in Ivory coast again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 12:24am On Jan 31
M7even:

Lol

South Africa very much played with the spirit of their leading Club, Mamelodi Sundowns, while Sundowns have mastered beating North Arfican clubsite like Raja Casablanca and their Egyptian counterparts. I guess this helps the national team translate and understand the north African teams as well. Not surprising why South Africa beat Egypt in 2019 at home, and then beating Morocco in Ivory coast again.

Beautiful analysis

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:31am On Jan 31
I predicted west Africa will win it. Now let me look closely to see which of them match my prediction.

safarigirl:
And that is the end of North Africa in the AFCON.

We're down to 5 West African, 2 Southern African and 1 Central African country

Quarter Finals promises to be another movie.

I think we can all say now with certainty that AFCON is the greatest football tournament in the world!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 12:38am On Jan 31
DrKlever:
Why are the Ivorians supporting Morocco. That's quite weird.
Morocco is the reason why they are still in d competition. Just by winning Zambia.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:42am On Jan 31
Someone used this post to argue for why the World Cup increasing the total number of African participants to 10, bodes well for the continent.

Truth is that, the difference between the 5 that qualify and the 5 they'd knockout is negligible. The quality is usually around the same for a lot of the teams. This may not be true for other continents, but in Africa, there are no clear top teams these days. It could go any which way.

PS: The 5 countries that represented Africa at the last World Cup have all been knocked out of this tournament as well.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:48am On Jan 31
LOL

More stats for FIFA to enjoy since they want to rank us

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:51am On Jan 31
Praying my prediction don’t come true because we are coached by Jpes. As it stands, the trio of Mali, CIV, and Guinea fits in.

Joebie:
My AFCON winner prediction:
1. The eventual winner will come from West Africa
2. The eventual winner is coached by a native of the country
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:54am On Jan 31
SA won by a close call and they also benefited from having a Nwakali to kill the game.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15655) (15656) (15657) (15658) (15659) (15660) (15661) ... (16391) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.