Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,064 members, 7,876,966 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 10:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1619) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12010173 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) (1620) (1621) (1622) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:54pm On Sep 29, 2017
Been calling Timi's number since I got the news for him to tell me he is not dead but only rumours. But it has been switched off embarassedBeen calling Timi's number since I got the news for him to tell me he is not dead but only rumours. But it has been switched off
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:58pm On Sep 29, 2017
Should be the same one.. okay cool!

Icon4s:

If it is the same Harris Ochulor I know he is a director at Bridge FM Asaba. A newly opened radio station.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:59pm On Sep 29, 2017
Please take heart sir. I know him as a child from back in the days in DBS. although I don't know him personally.

Icon4s:
Been calling Timi's number since I got the news for him to tell me he is not dead but only rumours. But it has been switched off embarassedBeen calling Timi's number since I got the news for him to tell me he is not dead but only rumours. But it has been switched off

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:10pm On Sep 29, 2017
OPPONENTS WATCH:

Nyirenda unveils squad to face Nigeria

By Kelvin Musako

soka25east.com

onSeptember 29, 2017SHARE TWEET SHARE SHARE 0 COMMENTS

Zambia National Team coach Wedson Nyirenda has named his final 23 member squad for next weekend’s crunch Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup Group B qualifier away to Nigeria.

According to information released by FAZ Football, Wada has once again snubbed skipper Rainford Kalaba and midfield Dynamo Nathan Sinkala.

Nyirenda has decided to retain the side that beat Algeria in the last round of FIFA World Cup matches in back to back victories.

18-year old midfielder Edward Chilufya has also been included in the squad together with the class of 2017 Africa Cup winning stars that came to the party at senior level against Algeria that comprise Patson Daka, Enock Mwepu, Fashion Sakala and Emmanuel Banda.

Sakala returns after having served his suspension from two yellow cards accumulated in the September 2 home match against Algeria.

Skipper Kennedy Mweene will continue to lead the squad after Nyirenda handed him the captaincy dawning a new era in the Chipolopolo set up.

Zambia plays Nigeria on October 7 in Uyo with the team leaving for Ghana on Sunday where they will set up base.

Nigeria leads Group B on 10 points while Zambia is second on seven points with Cameroun in a distant third on three points while Algeria lies rock bottom on a point.

FULL SQUAD

(GOALKEEPERS)

Kennedy Mweene (Mamelodi Sundowns-RSA), Toaster Nsabata (Zanaco), Allan Chibwe (Power Dynamos)

(DEFENDERS)
Simon Silwimba, Fackson Kapumbu (both Zesco United), Adrian Chama (Green Buffaloes), Stoppilla Sunzu (Arsenal Tula -Russia), Ziyo Tembo (Zanaco), Isaac Shamujompa (Power Dynamos)

MIDFIELDERS
Chisamba Lungu (Allanyespor-Turkey), Edward Chilufya (Djurgårdens-Sweden), Donashano Malama (Nkana), Kondwani Mtonga, Misheck Chaila (both Zesco United), Augustine Mulenga (Zanaco), Enock Mwepu (FC Liefering), Emmanuel Banda (K.V Oostende), Roderick Kabwe (Cape Town Ajax), Ernest Mbewe (Zanaco)

(STRIKERS)
Justin Shonga (Orlando Pirates), Fashion Sakala (Spartak Moscow), Brian Mwila (Platinum Stars), Patson Daka (Red Bull Salzburg-Austria)

Source: Football Association of Zambia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:13pm On Sep 29, 2017
i'm shocked to say this but i actually agree with you for once shocked grin grin

joel obi when injury free and match fit is a class player better than most of our present midfielders. during siasia's first coaching stint with the national team in 2011 joel obi was practically carrying our midfield on his back when mikel wasn't pulling his weight then.

i'm just patiently waiting for joel obi to stay injury free because i'm so sure he would displace onazi

forgiveness:

Seriously!!? shocked

There are many players ahead of Kelechi Nwakali but you want to specially groom Kelechi because those waiting in line, playing regularly two four seven, being nominated consecutively for MOTM & team of the week, week in week out etcetera are all mumunies from Somalia, ba? cheesy

Roben and Ribery are also injury prone. Why dem country no dey drop dem?

Joel Obi is miles a better player than John Ogu, Azuibike, Abdul, Etebor and Agu combined. grin

This is in regards to CMF position. Gbam! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:17pm On Sep 29, 2017
Joebie:
Please take heart sir. I know him as a child from back in the days in DBS. although I don't know him personally.

I knew him in Warri a couple of years back.

Through him I got my first live TV appearance during 2008 AFCON hosted in Ghana.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:26pm On Sep 29, 2017
Icon4s:

my condolences take heart sir. enjoyed reading his twitter account when he gave updates about the u23s.

RIP
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:28pm On Sep 29, 2017
Bro., first of all, stats can be deceiving because you gotta take several things into considerations, including but not limited to the following:
- the team's style of play
- the player's role in the overall scheme of the team
- the players team mates and their unique abilities

But even if we decide to go with the stats below, I will still prefer Azubuike over Ogu considering that the current Super Eagles team badly needs a playmaker. The only playmaker we have in the current set up is Mikel; hence anytime we sub Mikel our midfield breaks down completely. In that case, we will need Azubuike as our second playmaker. We need somebody who can read the game and break up plays before they develop. Right now, only Mikel and Leon Balogun are capable of doing that in the current set up. And in addition, we need someone who's comfortable with the ball on his feet and can hold up plays in the midfield and draw out the opponents ... right now, only Mikel can play that role effectively, and that's where Azubuike can help.

O pari

tbaba1234:

Olympics is still an age group competition

Agu and Azubuike play in the same league and these are their stats

Tackles
Agu averages 3.7 tackles per game
Azubuike averages 2.3 tackles per game

Interceptions
Azubuike averages 3.2
Agu averages 1.8

Fouls
Azubuike averages 2
Agu averages 2.7

Clearances
Azubuike averages 0.5
Agu averages 2.7

Dribbles
Azubuike averages 2
Agu averages 0.8

Blocks
Azubuike averages 0.2
Agu averages 0.5

Overall rating
Agu: 7.02
Azubuike: 6.89

For tenacity, clearances and tackling, Agu is your man.
For dribbles and reading the game, Azubuike is your man.

From a defensive standpoint, Agu is a better choice.

Overall, Agu has had the better start to the season so far from available stats.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:47pm On Sep 29, 2017
tbaba1234:

One of my biggest issues with Azubuike in the Olympics and even before that was poor positional discipline. Playing as a lone DM, he drifts out of position way too often.

He is a great prospect if his declared age is true or even close to true. Rating him close to Etebo is hyping in my opinion. He would do a decent job though.

I agree with you. i also have doubts about his age being that he played a couple of years in the NPFL. plus i don't think he's a DM his lack of discipline and positional sense make him unsuited to the role. his range of passing is more suited to the CM. i watched some of his games from his u23 day and i concede to him he was able to dictate the pace of some games but as far as super eagles is concerned he's way behind mikel obi and a bit behind john ogu.

yes i will admit watching mikel agu hasn't sent my heart pulse racing. ndidi and onazi are definitely ahead of him in the DM role. esiti might still have a chance to displace agu. plus whatever happened to hope akpan? dude looked promising
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 2:10pm On Sep 29, 2017
Joebie:
changing the goal post. We are talking about who is a better passer. it's already an established fact that Obi is injury prone. We want to know what both players have done while on the pitch. And I can go back in time to give you the stats. Take note that i'm not even considering the leagues where they ply their trades. Ogu plays in the Israeli League for goodness sake grin

I'm not comparing Obi and ogu.. I'm just saying reason why he's still in top clubs in seriaA.

Obi is a fine player no doubt... Remember him during siasia era...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 2:14pm On Sep 29, 2017
Joebie:
Azubuike is playing top flight football for the first time in his career, if I'm not mistaking.
There is nothing to check about Shehu right now -- Cyprus, seriously?

Here is Azubuike in the Turkish second tier (16/17 season)

Just wanna see their stat and moreover one would have expect shehu and azubuike to be in better club than Cyprus and Turkish second tier... That's what am trying to refer not comparing them

Thanks for the update God bless
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:15pm On Sep 29, 2017
Icon4s:

please do accept my condolences.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:17pm On Sep 29, 2017
chrisooblog:

I agree with you. i also have doubts about his age being that he played a couple of years in the NPFL. plus i don't think he's a DM his lack of discipline and positional sense make him unsuited to the role. his range of passing is more suited to the CM. i watched some of his games from his u23 day and i concede to him he was able to dictate the pace of some games but as far as super eagles is concerned he's way behind mikel obi and a bit behind john ogu.

yes i will admit watching mikel agu hasn't sent my heart pulse racing. ndidi and onazi are definitely ahead of him in the DM role. esiti might still have a chance to displace agu. plus whatever happened to hope akpan? dude looked promising

It harsh, but the midfield is currently over-crowded at the moment.

Hope won't make it in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 2:19pm On Sep 29, 2017
Joebie:
LOST SUPER EAGLE INFO:

Ekigho Ehiosun --> FK Gabala (Premya Liqasi, Azerbaijan)

Wow! Siasia boy! ChAi... I rate this guy so high then... It's well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:20pm On Sep 29, 2017
Benteke out for 6-weeks.
Good news for dessers?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2017
Anthony nwakaeme goal for hapoel beer sheva against Plzen yesterday in the Europa league was not good enough as his side fell 3 -1.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:22pm On Sep 29, 2017
Kog45:
Agreed but on injury i w rather take injury prone Balogun to WC than Joel Obi and he cannot be compared to d likes of Ribery and Roben who are valuable players in their national teams.

Hope u remember Etim Esin story how he was shot before 1987 U20 world cup and how Nigeria make sure d guy was operated on and made d team,not all player enjoy this privileged.

Joel Obi must be super ft to make d team not coming to camp and be having a day off in training coz of knocks or getting hamstring in training and u expect Rohr to sweat on him with d presence of Mikel,Iwobi,Ndidi,Onazi,Etebo, Agu,Ogu.

Of course, Joel Obi must be supper fit. However, his talent is not in question and that is my point.

Apart from Mikel and Onazi, none of those players you mentioned have a claim to a shirt in the national team in regard to the CM. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:23pm On Sep 29, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:
Good agent... Likewise echijiele... Good agent.

You have good agent you get good club

Good agent might guarantee you nice deals with good teams.
But how regular you play is another thing and Joel has that thing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 2:25pm On Sep 29, 2017
Danielnino00:
The Zambians have gone all spiritual on this one grin grin
*laughing* this one think se na bullets dem use take fall wall of Jericho.

Dem go chop nothing less than 3 goals and if de wan scale through de should be ready to score 3-4goals in return.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 2:25pm On Sep 29, 2017
Mickael2:

the best form of defence isn't always attack oo. If you meet a team with speedy wingers and you go and attack them bumper to bumper you will only get yourself killed.

To the point you made, I totally agree. We have seen that sometimes Rohr favours a long ball approach and Onazi is not equal to a good passer by any stretch of the imagination and his hopeless long balls have led to numerous turnovers by the opposing team which could well be punished by a better opposition. Somehow on the sidelines you have Azubuike and Ogu, guys who thrive on long passes with brilliant passing stats but Onazi still starts, the spanish coach was quick to bench Xavi at the 2014 world cup because younger and better guys were coming through.

Also on the sidelines(potentially) we have Joel Obi(If he stays injury free). He is one of the players who can play the CMF/AMF role. He isn't world-class but he is very good. A midfield combo of Mikel-Joel-Ndidi will achieve a lot of things. First, Ndidi will have to fall back as an out and out DMF and we all know the guy can make those long passes to perfection and his shots from deep would also be an asset. Then sitting beside him as a pseudo-Dmf/Cmf would be Joel, but in actual reality we would have a dynamic system where Mikel can fall back into the Dmf/Cmf role when the pressure on us gets too much allowing Joel to go a little bit further where his speed will aid potential counter-attacks and the rest is history. A fully-fit Joel Obi is totally better than everything we can offer in the CMF role, he is better than Ndidi in a Cmf role, Onazi? Not even close
''a fully fit joel obi is tatally better than everything we can offer in the CMF'' thank God some of u guys is not the coach, Ndidi the majority agreed that he is a potential world class is not close to joel obi,in other worlds joel obi is a woeld class then.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:28pm On Sep 29, 2017
forgiveness:

Of course, Joel Obi must be supper fit. However, his talent is not in question and that is my point.

Apart from Mikel and Onazi, none of those players you mentioned have a claim to a shirt in the national team in regard to the CM. grin

Onazi? Cmf? You have started again oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:29pm On Sep 29, 2017
Napoleon55:
''a fully fit joel obi is tatally better than everything we can offer in the CMF'' thank God some of u guys is not the coach, Ndidi the majority agreed that he is a potential world class is not close to joel obi,in other worlds joel obi is a woeld class then.

well probably because Ndidi is not a Cmf, read my comment again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 2:32pm On Sep 29, 2017
E b like se most people no know or de don forget who Joel Obi IS? No thanks to his injury laden career.

Here is how I rate and rank our CMF/AMF Players.
1. John Mikel Obi
2. Joel Obi
3. Oghenekaro Etebo
4. Alex Iwobi
5. Ongenyi Onazi
6. Okechukwu Azuibuke
7. John Ogu
8. Mikel Agu.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:33pm On Sep 29, 2017
AIG07:
*laughing* this one think se na bullets dem use take fall wall of Jericho.

Dem go chop nothing less than 3 goals and if de wan scale through de should be ready to score 3-4goals in return.
Those guys have gone batshit crazy. It's fear. They are so afraid.
3:0 my prediction
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 2:40pm On Sep 29, 2017
Aside other abilities and qualities other CMF/AMF brings to the table. Joel Obi thumps all of them with his scoring ability.

imagine us havin the two Obis on the pitch at the same time-there combo will be mouth watering.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 2:43pm On Sep 29, 2017
Mujtahida:

Those guys have gone batshit crazy. It's fear. They are so afraid.
3:0 my prediction
you got the reverse psychology Sir. Even their FA knows that it's already over. They had to cancel their trip to spain cos de know it won't grant them any victory...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:44pm On Sep 29, 2017
Icon4s:

Same goes for Gabriel Reuben and Okechukwu Uchebo.

Keshi and his selections sha.
Keshi own better Olishe wey bring Churchill boys full for national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2017
Icon4s:
RIP Timi Ebikagboro.

He was media officer to the U23 Team @ the 2016 Olympics.

An ardent follower of our football threads here.

My age long friend in the profession of sports journalism.

RIP Timi.

Na WA o! Still young

May his soul rest in perfect peace and God will give his family the strength to bear the loss..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:09pm On Sep 29, 2017
John Lambie, about a concussed player who didn't know who he was "Great, tell him he's Pele and get him back on." grin grin grin

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:16pm On Sep 29, 2017
Where's Ndidi? But I do like your ranking tho.

Meanwhile, here's how I would rank them:

1. John Mikel Obi
2. Oghenekaro Etebo
3. Wilfried Ndidi
4. Joel Obi
5. Okechukwu Azubuike
6. Ogenyi Onazi
7. John Ogu
8. Mikel Agu

*Alex Iwobi is more of a support striker than your normal CM

O pari

AIG07:
E b like se most people no know or de don forget who Joel Obi IS? No thanks to his injury laden career.

Here is how I rate and rank our CMF/AMF Players.
1. John Mikel Obi
2. Joel Obi
3. Oghenekaro Etebo
4. Alex Iwobi
5. Ongenyi Onazi
6. Okechukwu Azuibuke
7. John Ogu
8. Mikel Agu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 3:30pm On Sep 29, 2017
forgiveness:

Seriously!!? shocked

There are many players ahead of Kelechi Nwakali but you want to specially groom Kelechi because those waiting in line, playing regularly two four seven, being nominated consecutively for MOTM & team of the week, week in week out etcetera are all mumunies from Somalia, ba? cheesy

Roben and Ribery are also injury prone. Why dem country no dey drop dem?

Joel Obi is miles a better player than John Ogu, Azuibike, Abdul, Etebor and Agu combined. grin

This is in regards to CMF position. Gbam! grin
so what are we still waiting for?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:42pm On Sep 29, 2017
Icon4s:
Ladies and gentlemen.

I am personally not happy with happenings here.
This is a thread that I always visit to make myself happy and I am sure so does most others here.

It is true this thread was formed by a few number of us but it has grown to what it is today because everybody is always welcomed here.

On the recent feud between TheSuperNerd and Pietorico. Both of them were wrong. And we have exhausted all energies to condemn their actions.

However, I cannot stay in a house that is divided. I don't know Pietorico that much cos he is not much of a regular here but TheSuperNerd I know very well and he is like a son to me.

I suggest we set up a reconciliatory committee.

Elders of the house and every one else I need your take on this.

He is one of our illustrious sons here and not withstanding his short comings we still need him here. He is a great guy.

I need 1,2 or 3 persons to agree with me on this so we settle this issue once and for all.

This thread has grown beyond a social media
It is now like a family. A house divided cannot stand.
Who is with me on this?

cc: enomakos, Kog45, eterisan, TheGoodJoe, confun, Joseph1013, tbaba1234, Terzurum5, forgiveness, joebie, goldfish80, michael2, safarigirl, icon79, Bascovanveli, komekn, omanbala, Nigerdeltaboi, soetanoreoluwa. Pardon me if your moniker is missing.

Great Suggestion and a step in the right direction too.

However,

**Modified**
Just like Sir eterisan said, TheSuperNerd and co will have to tender an unreserved apology to the house for insulting us with their e-fight. Both were matured enough to behave matured and not blame the whole house for not calling them to order.

In addition, TheSuperNerd named this great thread. The thread belongs to all of us. However, the manner in which he left the thread is not cool. I am not against opening a new thread by him. But the timing and the occasion that prompted it is questionable. Why would he leave the project he started as if all of us offended him. TheSuperNerd remains my great friend just like any other person in here, so I deem it fit to come heavily on him before any other person.

Once more, I am not against any reconciliatory measure but wouldn't encourage unhealthy precedents to be maintained on this thread.

**Peace**

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) (1620) (1621) (1622) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: tikristinimi21, Dcypher and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.