Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,986 members, 7,876,733 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 04:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1625) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12009102 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1622) (1623) (1624) (1625) (1626) (1627) (1628) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:23am On Sep 30, 2017
forgiveness:

Onazi was played as a CMF all through at Lazio.
How effective was he at Lazio? grin

you know that this is false abi? Or do I need to show you the stats?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:23am On Sep 30, 2017
Humility017:

following mikel....antecedent you will know the dude is around his disclosed age.
I just don't wanna mention names...please you know the ages of those NPFL players than I do....

My point is Mikel was with Plateau United so that could also be said about him. IMO age is irrelevant in football discussions. If a guy can't perform then he shouldn't play no matter old or young. I can't witness a guy playing week in week out for his club and still try to bring him down by claiming to know his REAL age. U can never cheat nature so when it is time the guy won't be playing every week to be selected by his country.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:26am On Sep 30, 2017
Mickael2:

you did not understand what I said. I am not talking about top clubs, he is at a low club right now but can't tie down a regular shirt, what does that tell you?

When he was at his former club, they were playing him as a winger sometimes, doesn't that tell you that he may not be a natural midfielder anymore?

He will always be a natural midfielder. Playing him in another role does not mean his midfield talent he has disappeared. It is like saying because Chelsea played Mikel in the four role for years, he could not play as a creative attacking midfielder again.

Actually, there where people who were saying such funny statements then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:26am On Sep 30, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You can learn from players but it is ridiculous claiming a player can learn the same thing from average midfielders, compared to top quality legends.

the term 'average player' is relative. Since these 'average players' are keeping Kelechi on the bench that means they have some qualities that he needs to pick up from them. If he picks up those qualities he will become a starter and if he becomes a starter he will move to a better club, rinse and repeat. That's how every player starts, even Mikel

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:29am On Sep 30, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

He will always be a natural midfielder. Playing him in another role does not mean his midfield talent he has disappeared. It is like saying because Chelsea played Mikel in the four role for years, he could not play as a creative attacking midfielder again.

Actually, there where people who were saying such funny statements then.

you know Chelsea played a dual pivot system all along and at some point during games Mikel was still seen in the CMF role so that case is different. Alba is a natural winger who has been playing as a LB for a while now, play him as a winger and you won't see him in the game. When you move into a new position that keeps you far away from your natural position then you will certainly start losing those natural traits.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:31am On Sep 30, 2017
Mickael2:

the term 'average player' is relative. Since these 'average players' are keeping Kelechi on the bench that means they have some qualities that he needs to pick up from them. If he picks up those qualities he will become a starter and if he becomes a starter he will move to a better club, rinse and repeat. That's how every player starts, even Mikel

As I said, why must the Europeans decide the growth of our players. By the time the so called rinse repeat system gets him to a top club, he would have lost the time of training and working with top quality legends that help mould young creative legends early.

A good example was Mikel working with Makelele and Mikel at a young age. These help mould the minds of greats. While the rinse and repeat system is working, we can quicken the growth of Kelechi Nwakali by training him along side a football legend like Mikel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:34am On Sep 30, 2017
Mickael2:

you know Chelsea played a dual pivot system all along and at some point during games Mikel was still seen in the CMF role so that case is different. Alba is a natural winger who has been playing as a LB for a while now, play him as a winger and you won't see him in the game. When you move into a new position that keeps you far away from your natural position then you will certainly start losing those natural traits.

Mikel was a defensive shield in most of the games. Hardly ever played a creative role. Even when he played with Essien, Essien went forward while he covered.

Yet he never lost his creative touch.

Play Alba on the left wing and he will excel. That theory is very wrong. That is like saying Onazi would have performed poorly when Keshi played him in the Right Back role. Look at Delph and how well he played the let back role. It is football. Not nuclear physics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:43am On Sep 30, 2017
Mickael2:

So Onazi is more effective in the Cmf role than say Raheem Lawal or John Ogu or Joel Obi or Ajagun?

Meanwhile Humility, this argument is solely based on Onazi's performance(s) as a CMF, not his game against Cameroon(I believe I said he had a nice game against Cameroon although I did point out his deficiencies)

U forget that I know u well. This has nothing to do with CMF, u just don't like the man. Even if he walks on water u will find deficiencies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 8:44am On Sep 30, 2017
forgiveness:

Why is Kayode not on the list? I am suspecting foul play..
A striker is expected to score when he plays.Has Kayode ever scored for the eagles?
Kelechi was dropped to the bench after his performance against SA.

If a striker is invited to the Super Eagles team, he is expected to score.

Onyekuru was dropped to the standby list because he failed to score against Corsica and Ebuehi dropped because he handled the ball in the box in the same match.

Modified:He should bcom a regular starter and score many goals for Girona to be invited for the WC.
There is no need having a back-up who will not score when the main striker fails to score.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:10am On Sep 30, 2017
EEGA:
A striker is expected to score when he plays.Has Kayode ever scored for the eagles?
Kelechi was dropped to the bench after his performance against SA.

If a striker is invited to the Super Eagles team, he is expected to score.

Onyekuru was dropped to the standby list because he failed to score against Corsica and Ebuehi dropped because he handled the ball in the box in the same match.

Modified:He should bcom a regular starter and score many goals for Girona to be invited for the WC.
There is no need having a back-up who will not score when the main striker fails to score.

It does not work like that. It has to do with the preference of the coach and who he feels will best help prosecute the match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:12am On Sep 30, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Who cares if we park trailer... All we need is result and qualify for Russia 2018... Atleast we won't the first to park trailer to win ...you can ask MOU

I do not see Park Bus as a long term strategy for success. In the end, it pulls the development of the team back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:28am On Sep 30, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

As I said, why must the Europeans decide the growth of our players. By the time the so called rinse repeat system gets him to a top club, he would have lost the time of training and working with top quality legends that help mould young creative legends early.

A good example was Mikel working with Makelele and Mikel at a young age. These help mould the minds of greats. While the rinse and repeat system is working, we can quicken the growth of Kelechi Nwakali by training him along side a football legend like Mikel.

Mikel is a nigerian legend not a football legend for me(all na legend sha). Meanwhile the rinse repeat system varies in speed. For great players or near great players like Ronaldo the process was quick from Sporting to ManU, Odegaard as well. If Kelechi is anything like these players then he won't stay for long there, no need wasting a spot on the national team for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:34am On Sep 30, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder where you read taking him to the World Cup. I said let him train alongside Mikel. Slowly groom him into the the team. This will be done in qualifier games and Friendlies. Not tournaments.

However, just like Argentina took a young Manuel Iturbe to the last World Cup without him being in the World Cup squad list, K. Nwakali can still join the team to the World Cup to train with them. He must not be part of the main squad list.

Gerrit?
bros what are you saying? One minute join the main team to world cup the next not be part of the main squad which is it? I said he can be invited to the super eagles to get a feel of how the team is
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:54am On Sep 30, 2017
Yes Efe Ambrose for now.
Kog45:
Ambrose,u mean Efe Ambrose
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:59am On Sep 30, 2017
Sir where u dey since?

I just have lots of time in my hands this period. I'm sure others will do even more if they had the luxury of time I have right now lol

I'm privileged to be here and contribute my little bit. In fact I'm learning a lot from everyone here. Let's keep it rocking

joseph1013:
Guys, good morning.

I didn't want to comment until I get to the last page but it keeps getting longer and longer. I'm still on page 1600. LOL

The recent event was unfortunate and I hope thesupernerd would come back. Thanks Icon4s for playing the role of an elder, as usual.

Nairaland is nobody's house. And while I have gotten angry and said some not-too nice words in the past and I can't promise I won't get angry in the future, I believe we can resolve our differences in a humane manner. Even identical twins fight. I look forward to seeing people on this thread offline someday soon. tbaba1234, a get-together for the group okay?

safarigirl, I see you. But go easy on our guy. The deed is done, time to mend fences.

Joebie, you make this thread rock.

I expect these setbacks from time to time, but the thread is self-correcting.

*Back to reading from 1600. But mehn, you guys can talk, maka why? terzurum5, what is wrong with these people?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:15am On Sep 30, 2017
Sir don't forget that Onazi attempted move to a Championship side failed. It usually happens to players like that after a botched move. He will regain his regular spot in the team.

@bolded so natural positions dey change like that eh? grin .

Onazi was not played in the wings at Lazio. At least in his last season there he featured as a CM or DM.

Mickael2:

you did not understand what I said. I am not talking about top clubs, he is at a low club right now but can't tie down a regular shirt, what does that tell you?

When he was at his former club, they were playing him as a winger sometimes, doesn't that tell you that he may not be a natural midfielder anymore?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 10:17am On Sep 30, 2017
Joebie:
sidelined for the rest of the year I think

na wa. He needs to stay fit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:23am On Sep 30, 2017
REVEALED: 70% OF CHELSEA FANS WANT 25-YEAR-OLD TO MAKE SURPRISE START AGAINST MAN CITY

Date: 30th September 2017 at 7:45am
Written by: George Blake

The Chelsea fans in the Transfer Tavern have been pleased with the form of Victor Moses this season…

The Nigerian has continued his fine form from last season, dominating the right-hand side of the defence and proving once more why previous managers were wrong to dismiss him.

However, a vocal section of the Chelsea fans in the pub are also very keen to see what Davide Zappacosta can do. Brought in to rival Moses on the right-hand side, the Italian hasn’t had much of a chance yet, and with a game against Man City on the horizon, could he finally get his chance?

This is a debate that we recently opened up to a poll, and the results of said poll were quite astonishing. Surprisingly, a whopping 70% of polled fans want to see Zappacosta play ahead of Moses, with the Italian clearly gaining quite the fanbase after his Qarabag heroics.

Significantly, a similar question was posed ahead of Chelsea’s clash with Leicester City a few weeks ago, and the results were very different. Indeed, at that point, it was Moses that won the race – with a whopping 71% of fans keen to see the Nigerian feature from the start.

Results, then, have done a complete 180 since then, and it’s tough to understand why. Moses’ form has continued to excell, but it appears as though supporters have a yearning for something new.

--FootballTransferTavern

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:24am On Sep 30, 2017
Mickael2:

you know that this is false abi? Or do I need to show you the stats?

Show it, let see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:24am On Sep 30, 2017
Watching him play I can see why Rohr wanted him.

Kakamorufu:
na wa. He needs to stay fit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:27am On Sep 30, 2017
It's in our consciousness. We suspect foul play for everything. grin
forgiveness:

Why is Kayode not on the list? I am suspecting foul play..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:31am On Sep 30, 2017
solonnachi:
This Zambian coach is just making himself unnecessarily popular. He is all over the news boasting that the Chipolopo will beat our Eagles. He is busy spiritualizing the game. Hasn't he read Isaiah 40: 28-31? But I like the way we are being quiet about our plans. Let him keep talking.
But my major fears are that Victor Moses, Leon Balogun and Mikel Obi are not injured this WEEKEND, we need them to strengthen our WEEK-ENDS during the Oct 7 game against WICKED Zambia.
Mikel is not playing any games this weekend, he's coming to Nigeria on Sunday

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:44am On Sep 30, 2017
chrisooblog:
bros what are you saying? One minute join the main team to world cup the next not be part of the main squad which is it? I said he can be invited to the super eagles to get a feel of how the team is

Please, show me when I said join the main squad. I said train along side the team. If he is going along with the team to train in the World Cup, he will not be part of the main squad. That is, he will not be listed officially. Just training with the team for the chance to understudy Mikel. He gets into the official list when he merits his place with improved performances in camp and with his club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:48am On Sep 30, 2017
Let conte listen to Chelsea fans. We need Moses at his best possible

solonnachi:
This Zambian coach is just making himself unnecessarily popular. He is all over the news boasting that the Chipolopo will beat our Eagles. He is busy spiritualizing the game. Hasn't he read Isaiah 40: 28-31? But I like the way we are being quiet about our plans. Let him keep talking.
But my major fears are that Victor Moses, Leon Balogun and Mikel Obi are not injured this WEEKEND, we need them to strengthen our WEEK-ENDS during the Oct 7 game against WICKED Zambia.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:48am On Sep 30, 2017
Mickael2:

Mikel is a nigerian legend not a football legend for me(all na legend sha). Meanwhile the rinse repeat system varies in speed. For great players or near great players like Ronaldo the process was quick from Sporting to ManU, Odegaard as well. If Kelechi is anything like these players then he won't stay for long there, no need wasting a spot on the national team for him

I am against waiting for the foreign clubs to dictate when we should develop our special talents ourselves. Kelechi Nwakali was long identified a special talent. Manu Garba, Amunike and Ugbade did not wait for any foreign body to dictate to them allowing Kelechi Nwakali at a young age to train alongside the U17 team even though he was not going to make the final squad.

The training gave him the leap and understanding to become one of the standout players of the U17. Why stop there? Why not continue a progressive growth of an identified special talent of Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 10:56am On Sep 30, 2017
Noah bazee is back, hopefully he will be available for Algeria's game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:01am On Sep 30, 2017
I just read an article yesterday about what could have been if Ronaldo was introduced in that final. The article was of the idea that Brazilians didn't feel the team dominated like previous world cups they won. It ended by saying the question would Ronaldo9 have scored to prevent PKs, will never be answered. Interesting read. I learned something new yesterday -- Ronaldo9 earned his place in that team even at that young age.

Mickael2:

you see you are now distorting facts.

First against USA I recall Brazil had a player sent off and they scored not so late into the game, like the 68min or so, in that case which sane manager will bring on a striker when you are one man down and you have already scored a goal?

And the final against Italy was too big an occasion to introduce a rookie who was yet to make any appearance at the world cup, if the coach had done that and they lost then he would have been killed for that. The reason why he did not play then is because he is/was a striker and strikers don't get subbed in anyhow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:01am On Sep 30, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Please, show me when I said join the main squad. I said train along side the team. If he is going along with the team to train in the World Cup, he will not be part of the main squad. That is, he will not be listed officially. Just training with the team for the chance to understudy Mikel. He gets into the official list when he merits his place with improved performances in camp and with his club.
sorry but I don't agree that he should train with the world cup bound squad based on grooming of his potential if he is good enough then he can be invited on merit. If not he can continue to improve at club level when by God's grace we beat zambia to qualify for the world cup we can then call him up with other hopefuls for the game against algeria to get a good look at them to see if they are good enough
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:03am On Sep 30, 2017
Good news. Source please

Karlovich:
Noah bazee is back, hopefully he will be available for Algeria's game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 11:04am On Sep 30, 2017
Joebie:
Good news. Source please
his IG page
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:10am On Sep 30, 2017
Ok I'm not on IG.
Let's hope he don't get injured again.

Flashback:

Karlovich:
his IG page

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 11:15am On Sep 30, 2017
Joebie:
Ok I'm not on IG.
Let's hope he don't get injured again.

Flashback:

hopefully, should Nigeria avoid defeat against Zambia, I would like to see some new players against Algeria in the last game

(1) (2) (3) ... (1622) (1623) (1624) (1625) (1626) (1627) (1628) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: EEGA and 15 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.