Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,842 members, 7,972,971 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 01:25 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16776) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12567487 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16773) (16774) (16775) (16776) (16777) (16778) (16779) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 7:34pm On Oct 11
So no one is going to do anything about that horrendous offside call
CAF needs to bring VAR

What the f**k was that!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SamueItem337(m): 7:35pm On Oct 11
joelsteron:
AE is really pissing me, we were lucky today!

You saw opponent packed bus since 1st half and kept shooters with precision like (Onyedika & Bashiru) on the bench for Iwobi and Ndidi till 70mins.
I don't know what to say. Lucky us, Thank God!
It seems you don't know the definition of luck
Lucky how?
They didn't give us a clear penalty
Ruled out a clear goal
So how exactly were we lucky?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 7:35pm On Oct 11
lexyman:
i still prefer Iwobi ahead of Dele Bashiru , let him come in when Iwobi is tired ... Iwobi can bring some moment of brilliance .... but unfortunately he had not a very nice game .. ... the Libyan played a negative footie all through ... they cant afford to do the same on their soil .

If iwobi had converted one of those chances, we won't be having this conversation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 7:35pm On Oct 11
Toylove:

Exactly
The 2 can co exist.
Fisayo can’t create like iwobi, iwobi can’t shoot like fisayo.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:36pm On Oct 11
That's exactly the point I'm making does the midfield and wings play to accommodate Boniface's dribbling style? I'm just struggling to understand how we have a talented forward who scores goals aplenty for a top German side like Leverkusen but with the national team he barely gets shots on target.

It would be a different thing if it was he was hitting the bar often or keeper pulling world class saves of his shots. If KC who's even not anywhere a 9 could find a way to find the back of the net for the SE then we have to find a way for Boniface to be more effective for the team.

forgiveness:

The team still played well without him though he is the best we have for now.

The only thing I saw today is Boneface is not a natural ST. He doesn't think fast enough. He will dribble, turn and think long before anything.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:36pm On Oct 11
lbrichman2:

Then you bench him and bring in a striker that can play your system
That's why Onuachu never shone for the SE

He will thrive as a SS in 2 striker formation.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 7:37pm On Oct 11
SamueItem337:
It seems you don't know the definition of luck
Lucky how?
They didn't give us a clear penalty
Ruled out a clear goal
So how exactly were we lucky?

I've said my mind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 7:37pm On Oct 11
TheSuperNerd:
Fisayo is a better ball striker but he is no creator like Iwobi. Fisayo can pass and progress plays with quick passes and use his body in duels but he doesn't have as broad a vision of the field like Iwobi does.

Iwobi remains the main man in our creative midfield unit. Fisayo's biggest plus is his ball striking.

We need another creative head in the team.

Lets have all our good legs , we need healthy competition in all department ... the offside call denied Mola another opportunity to check the net .. its unfortunate , african referees are blind to good calls . CAF need to look into this

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 7:38pm On Oct 11
mekabuachi:
Foreign coach no fit do pass this one.. even if Eguaveon lose the next game... Let him continue as interim coach

It will be difficult to beat this team
I don't see us losing anytime soon

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 7:38pm On Oct 11
Austin Eguaveon on Victor Boniface;

"Boniface needs to make quick decisions, I think he will start scoring soon."

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:40pm On Oct 11
chrisooblog:
That's exactly the point I'm making does the midfield and wings play to accommodate Boniface's dribbling style? I'm just struggling to understand how we have a talented forward who scores goals aplenty for a top German side like Leverkusen but with the national team he barely gets shots on target.

It would be a different thing if it was he was hitting the bar often or keeper pulling world class saves of his shots. If KC who's even not anywhere a 9 could find a way to find the back of the net for the SE then we have to find a way for Boniface to be more effective for the team.

He will do well supporting a striker as a SS or on the wing but as a striker, I don't think so.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 7:41pm On Oct 11
fun fact
since 2023 whenever osimhen is absent, midfielders and defenders come to the rescue
Nig 1 -1 Les(No Osimhen) goal by Semi Ajayi
Zim 1-1 Nig (No osimhen) goal by iheanacho
Nig 1-1 SA (No osimhen) goal by Bashiru
Ben 2-1 Nig (No Osimhen) goal by Onyedika
Nig 1-1 Libya(No osimhen) goal by Bashiru
Awoniyi, Boniface and other replacing strikers are coming to sell pure water on the pitch😀😂

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 7:41pm On Oct 11
lbrichman2:

If iwobi had converted one of those chances, we won't be having this conversation

unfotunately he did't , but overall he didnt do badly today ... he was only unlucky . sometimes luck can be a big factor ... i am tired of seeing 2 matches wonder , 'Aribo showed us the more you look the less you see ' Iwobi has been so consistent .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:41pm On Oct 11
Oasis007:
Austin Eguaveon on Victor Boniface;

"Boniface needs to make quick decisions, I think he will start scoring soon."

From the coach.. He is a slow thinker when it comes to SF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:42pm On Oct 11
Ppu forgot it took a whole guardiola 50 something minutes to equalise arsenal 10men …eagles played well today ,na our players no convert deir chances ,cancelled a legit goal etc

It’s not easy to play against a team dt purposely want to play out a scoreless draw 😎

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 7:42pm On Oct 11
forgiveness:

He will thrive as a SS in 2 striker formation.

Exactly
That's why Lookman exploded when paired with Osimhen, because he's better as an SS
If you're playing Boniface in a lone striker system, then don't complain if he doesn't score

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:42pm On Oct 11
daveP:

Omo. Na pure haram football. But once again, we need to be doing better. Let's hire setpieces coach even if na elyte. 6 corners and none was treating atall.

We need to convert 1/3. We really need work in that aspect. CKs threat reduces whenever it's not Osimhen in the XI.
We don't score corners, we don't score free kicks. Last goal by corner should be the WCQ game against Cameroun. Last free kick was Etebo against Lesotho

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:43pm On Oct 11
lbrichman2:

Exactly
That's why Lookman exploded when paired with Osimhen, because he's better as an SS
If you're playing Boniface in a lone striker system, then don't complain if he doesn't score

Gbam!!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 7:43pm On Oct 11
Hanibal:
So no one is going to do anything about that horrendous offside call
CAF needs to bring VAR

What the f**k was that!!
omo the way one guy take shout with anger at the viewing centre i watched the game eehhn. wen that wrong call was made..football get spirit o🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 7:44pm On Oct 11
lexyman:

unfotunately he did't , but overall he didnt do badly today ... he was only unlucky . sometimes luck an be a big factor ... i am tired of seeing 2 matches wonder , 'Aribo showed us the more you look the less you see ' Iwobi has been so consistent .

Iwobi was massive today o!
The missed chances not withstanding

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 7:44pm On Oct 11
Someday they will tell this low budget banger boy the truth.

Dude has consistently failed to live up to even half of Osimhen's standards. He's been extremely woeful.. At this stage, Eguovoen should be giving the likes of Dessers, and maja chance since boniface hasn't shown us what he can do on the NT.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 7:45pm On Oct 11
Mujtahida:

We don't score corners, we don't score free kicks. Last goal by corner should be the WCQ game against Cameroun. Last free kick was Etebo against Lesotho
Last corner goal was in the AFCON final 🆚 Ivory Coast 😌

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 7:46pm On Oct 11
forgiveness:

From the coach.. He is a slow thinker when it comes to SF.

AE knows what he is saying and doing. He brought in Chuks so Lookman can play behind Boniface, yet Boni refused to tick. Ain't gonna give up on him yet, let's see him on Tuesday as well.

Austin Eguaveon after the game;

"I expected us to score more goals, overall we are happy to maintain our top spot.

"I was feeling bad, but we kept pushing and progressing. Emotions were high. Libya defended in numbers and we are happy to win.

"We were a bit slow in the first half, but the second half was good, we were faster and we got the goal."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:46pm On Oct 11
mekabuachi:
Foreign coach no fit do pass this one.. even if Eguaveon lose the next game... Let him continue as interim coach
Eguaveon should continue oo. I don't see what special qualities a foreign coach will bring

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:47pm On Oct 11
But that's the thing at Leverkusen I've seen him score some predatory goals but with the national team it's like 'if I no score I no fit kill myself' attitude.

Lookman and Osimhen don't always find the back of the net but you can be damn sure they will try. Just my observation anyway.

forgiveness:

Boniface lacks the instinct of a predator (striker). Team should play according to their own strength and not according to one player.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 7:47pm On Oct 11
Mujtahida:

Eguaveon should continue oo. I don't see what special qualities a foreign coach will bring

Elyte nko?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 7:49pm On Oct 11
Mujtahida:

even your Principal grin but if he will come in as set piece coach ... we will welcome him with an open arm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:51pm On Oct 11
Mujtahida:

C dis my lawyer…I will have to start looking elsewhere to engage someone as brilliant as u re …I no wan trust you 😏

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:52pm On Oct 11
Iheanacho should be the exception he's a forward.

minfelix:
fun fact
since 2023 whenever osimhen is absent, midfielders and defenders come to the rescue
Nig 1 -1 Les(No Osimhen) goal by Semi Ajayi
Zim 1-1 Nig (No osimhen) goal by iheanacho
Nig 1-1 SA (No osimhen) goal by Bashiru
Ben 2-1 Nig (No Osimhen) goal by Onyedika
Nig 1-1 Libya(No osimhen) goal by Bashiru
Awoniyi, Boniface and other replacing strikers are coming to sell pure water on the pitch😀😂
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:55pm On Oct 11
Oasis007:

AE knows what he is saying and doing. He brought in Chuks so Lookman can play behind Boniface, yet Boni refused to tick. Ain't gonna give up on him yet, let's see him on Tuesday as well.

Hmmm! Exactly. Unfortunately, Nigerians are bamboozled and mesmerizer by skillful play. Let see what happens next.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:56pm On Oct 11
elyte89:

C dis my lawyer…I will have to start looking elsewhere to engage someone as brilliant as u re …I no wan trust you 😏
🤣🤣🤣 Eguavoen will continue as interim coach naww before you are appointed permanently. No fear!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:57pm On Oct 11
lexyman:

even your Principal grin but if he will come in as set piece coach ... we will welcome him with an open arm
Surely my client's hopes are brighter with every good performance of Eguavoen

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (16773) (16774) (16775) (16776) (16777) (16778) (16779) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: justvictor57(m), Softwareguy21 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.