Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,632 members, 7,924,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 11:18 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1924) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12267750 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1921) (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) (1927) ... (16527) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:44am On Oct 27, 2017
oga sir.. let's leave the Martins issue. Rohr is not considering him, and nobody is forcing Martins on Rohr. Ignore that yeye report.

Mujtahida:

Ronaldo was not better than Romario. No be una dey use stats? Romario was playing and in form too for Vasco da Gama. Ronaldo hadn't played football for two years. There was no stats for Ronaldo to compare with that of Romario. If Ronaldo had history, Romario also had history and as a World Cup winner sef. But the coach picked Ronaldo. Point is it goes beyond performance sometimes
Who is Martins better than? Between Martins and Ighalo who is raving in China?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 12:44am On Oct 27, 2017
there is not such thing as building a team in national teams set up,because new players will always come out every year,
and the better ones must continue to replace the weaker ones.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:44am On Oct 27, 2017
safarigirl:
it is not age that is the issue

Team Spirit is the issue here and everybody is waving that aside as if the Osaze we carried in 2014 was able to lead us to a Quarter Finals in the World Cup

The team that led Ghana to their Q/finals position in 2010, did it not have a sizeable number of youth? Did Ghana have to bring in a player that had been exiled for two years to get there? Was it a team of exceptional talents or top scorers in various leagues?

Some are asking what happens against SA...lack of a leader was what happened. We did not lose because it was a youthful team, we lost because there was no leader on and off the pitch.
You forget to mention Senegal in 2002 that pipped reigning champions France 1:0, a France that had Barthez, Zidane, Henry, Wiltord, Trezeguet etc and to show that was no fluke they went as far as the quarter finals.
I believe in a good mix of experience and youth, continuity and stability. But for Martins, Osaze I don't see how they'd benefit us in Russia and nobody has been able to convince us that they would benefit us in ways the players we now have cannot.

Please don't defend that SA defeat. It was a blessing in disguise. We are where we are today because of that defeat. Always rejoice that we endured that bitterness if not you'd not be tasting this sweetness today. Was it not that defeat that misled Cameroun?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:45am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
Okay better we change the subject. It should not even be a national debate in the first place. let's not fall to the antics of those lazy reporters.

Noted!! No talk on algeria's new form@ individual players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:46am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
We've all been speaking of recent stats.. so all this talk of old glory maybe that's for #TeamOldGlory oh
If you guys really believe the likes of Martins and yak(?) can dislodge KC etc from the team, then i'm afraid you don't even trust the young guys as much as I do

To be sincere ain't scared of anything... That's the fact... I could remember when obagoal was banging goals for inter Milan in Italy... A young champ... Very hot.. I bet a lot of Nigerians. Supported him till very end... They clamour for his inclusion to SE team.. First match for SE.. He banged a goal.. During the friendly I guess...

I have said it before... Everybody is entitle to his/her opinion ain't going to fight that... I love Martins.

But if we believe in Martins Now when we qualified then. That's unfair...

Again if coach Rohr believe he needs Martins ...he should call him if he fits in to his philosophy... He's the coach and he believe in him... No problem... Let see what will happen...

As for three solid CF

Ighalo
Nacho
Larrykay

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:48am On Oct 27, 2017
daveP:
Wait na you i give Brock Lesnar's f5 to ba? No vex. I've 'Undone' it!! grin 30bi for your akkant for finally getting my pov.

grin You are not serious
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:48am On Oct 27, 2017
GBAM
I throway salute. Today you get your Olorogun title.

Modified
I call it "turn by turn" syndrome

tglobal:
One recurring sentiment I think has been a serious setback for african teams over the years, has been this clamour for "new players" at every turn. Keshi was the coach for 3-4 years and up until he left, we still had a feeling that we were "building a team". I can assure you all that going by what I am reading on this thread and past trendss, these same players we are tagging as "fresh" and claiming to raise for 2022 will quickly be discarded and classified as "tired legs" by 2021. It's a cycle that never ends and I have been seeing this in play since our past golden generation of players. We have always been rebuilding and discarding players not based on what they do or do not offer but on perceived need to "inject new blood"...

Onigbinde did it, same with Christian Chukwu, Eguavoen, Siasia, Keshi and Oliseh.

I simply don't understand why the first hurdle for player invitation is age as opposed to performance. It's the National team and not an age-restricted competition! No team gets remembered for how young they are but rather what results they can produce at the time.Aime Jacquet didn't drop Ginola and Co because of their ages. He simply chose players that fit into his game plan.

Whether Martins receives an invitation or not is not my issue (I don't think he has anything better to offer than what we have). However, rejecting the idea of extending an invitation to him based on age alone is what I find puzzling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:50am On Oct 27, 2017
forgiveness:

How matches did he start?

He was even played out of position when he was brought on in the second half.

Why can't he start all the matches if he's really good?

Why was he played out of position? Why can't he displace Yak?

You no like Martins reach me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:52am On Oct 27, 2017
forgiveness:

He was sparingly played, and when he eventually played, he was played out of position.

Why was he played out of position?

And why did oliseh Also played him out of position?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:53am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

grin You are not serious
Lol, na joe sef.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:53am On Oct 27, 2017
daveP:
Thats why im on team 'a lot can happen in 8months'!!
And let it be good things so much that such calls as the one we are debating don't feature.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:53am On Oct 27, 2017
They are the best we have FOR NOW. Solid? that's debatable. So why are we speaking about TAmmy, Onuachu, Dessers etc. if we are good to go? Are you confident in those 3 if there world cup were to start tomorrow?

soetanoreoluwa:

To be sincere ain't scared of anything... That's the fact... I could remember when obagoal was banging goals for inter Milan in Italy... A young champ... Very hot.. I bet a lot of Nigerians. Supported him till very end... They clamour for his inclusion to SE team.. First match for SE.. He banged a goal.. During the friendly I guess...

I have said it before... Everybody is entitle to his/her opinion ain't going to fight that... I love Martins.

But if we believe in Martins Now when we qualified then. That's unfair...

Again if coach Rohr believe he needs Martins ...he should call him if he fits in to his philosophy... He's the coach and he believe in him... No problem... Let see what will happen...

As for three solid CF

Ighalo
Nacho
Larrykay

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:53am On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

You didn't see Awaziem, you didn't see Agbo, you didn't see Omeruo it's Thiago you are seeing. They have many contenders and that's why Martins shouldn't be among them.

Why won't I see Someone who has played in the Portuguese league, La Liga, ligue 1 and Championship?

How many of those players have played in all these leagues mentioned?

I don't rate Agbo as a defender and I was not impressed with Omeruo after I watched his game some days ago.

Now, Awazeim could be the only one contending if he continues to play regularly this season

Besides, nobody is saying give Martins shirt. We are saying give him the chance to prove the doubting Thomas like you wrong. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:54am On Oct 27, 2017
forgiveness:

Almost all the players had issues with Lars and that was why Lars said only a Nigerian coach can handle our national team. This was what he said when resigned offer to continue as the coach.

I remembered Odenwinge said Oyinbow na Oyinbo after the local coach was sacked and had trained with Lars.

The same Odenwinge blamed the Oyinbo for partial selection of players and bad performance.

My point is Lars had issues with almost all the players.

Great thank God you know...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:56am On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

And let it be good things so much that such calls as the one we are debating don't feature.
grin our average age would still be <24 and not 29 by God's Grace.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:57am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Is Martins performing ?

Nacho is performing... How many goals did he score during the qualifier?

Of course.

Did he play as the point man? shocked grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:57am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
Well seriously I'm tired of the them say news.. You know I use to just copy and post stuff from OGN, ANS etc.. These days I screen what I post. If there is no credible source or quotes I ignore. Because arguing based on just dem say is a waste of time.. Remember how the Tammy issue went..Was I not right? That issue gulped over 10 pages then, just because people ran away with the headline and didn't try to decipher the substance. We are doing this again with this Martins and Oboabona issue.

Is it not even unthinkable that some unnamed people in the NFF are making noise about Enyeama.. and trying to push for Martins? na today Rohr start to hold talks with Enyeama.. yeye news!

Do you know have been observing that Owngoal?.. Them dey Visit this thread...

Think issue of Martin started when Oga Michael want his inclusion to SE plus uche too..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:58am On Oct 27, 2017
junnyjake:

Ha! Them go begin talk about quota system. Home bred/foriegn born. Na wetin go spoil shows be that.

But make them no blame us o. Imagine someone like Iwobi joined Arsenal at the age of five and he's developed through the system, them teach am ball from that age till him grow. E get some kind areas wen him gaz use take pass our home bred na.

We need systems that aids development at the grassroots, then we'd see more of them foreign breeds begging us for a space not the other way round.

But for now, I wouldn't mind if all our back-4 are German bred
Seconded on the back four thing.
Football is education now ooo because of the fact that kicking the ball is just one part of it, oyibo have built up a comprehensive range of ideas around football which a player must know if he's going to make it in the game. That's why I have to respect our players who go from our kwantakwanta system to the refinements of Europe. E no easy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:00am On Oct 27, 2017
safarigirl:
lol...Mikel knows how to give Martins pass to score grin

And when Mikel is not giving him the passes?
He will run into middle by himself, take it, dribble and score.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:03am On Oct 27, 2017
forgiveness:

I know but Ronaldo was class and that is what i and talking about.

You have to consider many factors before you decide on who is better. Talent, experience, performance etc

If we consider all these, Martins is far better than some players currently in the National team.

Why was Rohr keen on having Mikel during the world cup qualifiers despite lack of game and injuries?

But the same Rohr who was keen to play Mikel despite lack of game and injuries for a season claimed he didn't invite Kayode for the Cameroonian games because he was not in form even though he just won the best player and highest goalscorer in Austria league. shocked grin Why? grin
That's why I say performance matters but sometimes it's not all about performance. True I loved Martins during his stint but I just feel it's time to let him go. That's my own oo. If he were in the team before now I won't even call for him to be dropped unless he is awful but we are clamouring for a recall and I don't buy that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:03am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
They are the best we have FOR NOW. Solid? that's debatable. So why are we speaking about TAmmy, Onuachu, Dessers etc. if we are good to go? Are you confident in those 3 if there world cup were to start tomorrow?

Good.. For now we don't have access to Tammy...
You are right that's the best we have for now...

Then do we have solid ones?

Onuachu and dessers need to be tested before conclusion...

If that's what we can offer tomorrow that world cup is starting my brother we re good to go...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:04am On Oct 27, 2017
forgiveness:

Of course.

Did he play as the point man? shocked grin

Who? Martins or nacho?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:05am On Oct 27, 2017
Good, we've had the arguments and it died down. Even after we qualified nobody talked about these players I think.

you say dem dey pay this thread? I actually think they come here to spy and try to get us talking about their stories. They want to stay relevant..

soetanoreoluwa:

Do you know have been observing that Owngoal?.. Them dey pay this thread...

Think issue of Martin started when Oga Michael want his inclusion to SE plus uche too..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:08am On Oct 27, 2017
you say "if that's what we can offer", and you say "we are good to go".. a little conflicting, you know what i'm talking about.

Well for me, I think we should get these players early, so IF they come good, we can start integrating them early. I don't think gatecrashers will do jack. They have to blend with the team and play with the team. We have AFCON qualifiers as well. That's also quite competitive.

soetanoreoluwa:

Good.. For now we don't have access to Tammy...
You are right that's the best we have for now...

Then do we have solid ones?

Onuachu and dessers need to be tested before conclusion...

If that's what we can offer tomorrow that world cup is starting my brother we re good to go...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:09am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
Good, we've had the arguments and it died down. Even after we qualified nobody talked about these players I think.

you say dem dey pay this thread? I actually think they come here to spy and try to get us talking about their stories. They want to stay relevant..

Typo error... Visit I mean...

Exactly... If you check their headlines you will observed your last three statements... Don't bring their news here... Completesports, ESPN
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:11am On Oct 27, 2017
junnyjake:

I don't see anyone who's richer than him in the present crop of players we have. That dude is unarguably the most travelled SE star. From Italy, England, Russia, Germany, Spain, America and now China.

Mikel might be the most powerful reason being that Martins has been out of the Set-Up for a while. But I'm sure he's more popular to those at the glass house.
Your last paragraph is full of so many revelations that will topple things. We are not a nation where people can put aside power plays and go for national collective glory. Our mentality is one where once power play comes into being we'd rather we spoil if we would not enjoy power than for us to take a back place and let the nation be glorified.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:11am On Oct 27, 2017
I only copy quotes from their stories and paste here.. sometimes I retitle their stories and draw everyone's attention to the quotes. When there are not credible quotes, I ignore. CompletesSports is better than those two. But ANS try pass OGN.. OGN be like football version of Ikebe Super haha
soetanoreoluwa:

Typo error... Visit I mean...

Exactly... If you check their headlines you will observed your last three statements... Don't bring their news here... Completesports, ESPN
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:11am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
you say "if that's what we can offer", and you say "we are good to go".. a little conflicting, you know what i'm talking about.

Well for me, I think we should get these players early, so IF they come good, we can start integrating them early. I don't think gatecrashers will do jack. They have to blend with the team and play with the team. We have AFCON qualifiers as well. That's also quite competitive.

How can we get them.. Esp Tammy.. Long process... All am waiting for is long list of Rohr for Algeria n Argentina that will give us clue what's talking

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:13am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
I only copy quotes from their stories and paste here.. sometimes I retitle their stories and draw everyone's attention to the quotes. When there are not credible quotes, I ignore. CompletesSports is better than those two. But ANS try pass OGN.. OGN be like football version of Ikebe Super haha

Lol grin..yes ANS better pass...

Yes I noticed too

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:13am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Why was he played out of position?

And why did oliseh Also played him out of position?

Which kind question be these? Do you know why? Tell me make I hear. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:15am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Why can't he start all the matches if he's really good?

Why was he played out of position? Why can't he displace Yak?

You no like Martins reach me

I am very sure you never followed the 2010 WC era.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:15am On Oct 27, 2017
Tammy process go be like Aina things.
Yes we need to focus on those two games.. And we will have another exciting round of discussions here.

soetanoreoluwa:

How can we get them.. Esp Tammy.. Long process... All am waiting for is long list of Rohr for Algeria n Argentina that will give us clue what's talking

(1) (2) (3) ... (1921) (1922) (1923) (1924) (1925) (1926) (1927) ... (16527) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, JayromWrites, opes and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.