Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,433 members, 7,923,642 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 11:25 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1975) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12262243 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1972) (1973) (1974) (1975) (1976) (1977) (1978) ... (16524) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:23pm On Oct 31, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

It doesn't matter at all. This time last year Defoe was going to be on the plane to Russia but his form has dropped this season that's all.
Then your opinion is different from that of the writer of that article as well as mine especially as per the bolded because I know that as one ages in football - indeed for any sport - one's performance dwindles. There comes a time when your strength will lag behind your experience.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 31, 2017
komekn:

You must be a lawyer.

You have with rhetoric evaded the substance of the discourse and avoided the question.

How many Nigerian origin players are playing in the midfield for a top three in the world league and in a top 10 team in the world. of you can give me three I go come Lagos buy you shine shine boy or whatever takes your fancy. No Shakin

By the way I said that U17 should not be taken too seriously not U20.

Iwobi, ndidi and Iheanacho* grin

Youth football is youth football weather 17 or 20 cool

No be Everybody go dae Lagos, Oya come gimme Fanta for Anambra wink

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:24pm On Oct 31, 2017
kingphilip:
I noticed that too

There was an assist he gave with his left foot too from the right wings

And he isn't afraid to take on players too
That guy was born to be an Eagle.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:29pm On Oct 31, 2017
komekn:

It really depends on how you define being Nigerian

I speak Patwa fluently and people have assumed that I'm Jamaican and or a lost Nigerian. And they will very foolishly be running me down in Yoruba feleh bobo nee egbe ote Jamo nee, Ibo as well as pidgin of which I speak the latter good and excellently respectively.

When I then respond in the language they understand it becomes apologies galore, we know no, sorry oh.

I have explained what I mean in an earlier response. Their nationality reads 'England' not 'Nigeria'

I love patois (this is the correct spelling Sir) with its heavy and slow drawl. Very exotic. Have you read Lonely Londoners by Sam Selvon? If you have not, please read it. You go laugh tire yet it depicts the experiences of first generation immigrants to the UK in an unforgettable way. And yes there's a Nigerian in it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

Then your opinion is different from that of the writer of that article as well as mine especially as per the bolded because I know that as one ages in football - indeed for any sport - one's performance dwindles. There comes a time when your strength will lag behind your experience.

That is on an individual basis. Bournemouth gave the guy a 3 year contract so I guess we share the same opinion. Form does not always have to be about age, Defoe still moves well but he is not scoring goals. If he can recapture his Sunderland form then the decision becomes a little tougher.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2017
Humility017:

and naughty Tammy Abraham just threw away that opportunity....

Oga humility forget this issue remember He's English first, so he has every right to choose England.
He was obviously forced to choose them anyway and I won't blame the young man. So forget Tammy and let's drop the issue besides anything can happen you never know.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:35pm On Oct 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

That guy was born to be an Eagle.
if he can just cement that left back and Shehu continues that blistering form at right back, Nigeria's full back issues will be sorted out for close to a decade
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:36pm On Oct 31, 2017
junnyjake:

To forgiveness, not being able to obtain work permit to play = failure.

Na wa.

If they want to help Nwakali get work permit because he has totally failed to live up to expectations as at now then they should extend such gesture to all Nigerians on contract with English clubs.

Even Taiwo Awoniyi who is doing better than Nwakali has never been mentioned by any here. He has even done better than Oshimen but favourism has brought both to the national team. Why?

Is Awoniyi not a Nigerian? Don't even think I am in anyway clamouring for Taiwo to be called into the National team. No.

In the place i come from you must work hard to achieve you aims.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:49pm On Oct 31, 2017
forgiveness:

[s]If they want to help Nwakali get work permit because he has totally failed to live up to expectations as at now then they should extend such gesture to all Nigerians on contract with an English clubs.

Even Taiwo Awoniyi who is doing better than Nwakali has never been mentioned by any here. He has even done better than Oshimen but favourism has brought both to the national team. Why?

Is Awoniyi not a Nigerian? Don't even think I am in anyway clamouring for Taiwo to be called into the National team. No.

In the place i come from you must work hard to achieve you aims.[/s]

Nwakali didn't get work permit to feature for Girona which was why he never got to play a game for them.

I don't see how that is failure in his side. Read the part I bolded in the report.

TheGoodjoe erroneously suggested that the coach was being racist because Nwakali was the only black in the team then and he wasn't getting games.

So what you wrote up there has nothing to do with what I was saying.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:49pm On Oct 31, 2017
Here is the cheap goal Pantillimon conceded against Las Palmas yesterday. I don't see both Tyton and Pantillimon as threats to our boy Uzoho. Go back and take what rightly belongs to you boy. Never relent and never allow complacency any chance to creep in. Keep working hard

http://www.okgoals.com/match-
highlights-1509404233---41
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:54pm On Oct 31, 2017
Icon4s:
What makes the world cup so special. We saw the Egyptian emotional celebrations.

Please watch that of Panama: Please watch to the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yifKTgb3lDo
I am not just happy that the US did not qualify. There's this noise they bring which I find exhilarating. Congratulations to Panama though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:01pm On Oct 31, 2017
The point about Aluko, are we looking for a defensive midfielder or offensive?
tbaba1234:

Who is better?

Azubuike is injured.
Joel Obi just recovered from injury
The coach has already seen Esiti
Onomah is not a regular at Aston Villa. He still needs to be switch international allegiance.
Aluko is not a defensive midfielder.

Who else?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:01pm On Oct 31, 2017
tbaba1234:
A team should be a mix of youth and experience.

Nigeria appears to have much more youth than experience. We struggle when Mikel is missing.

I don't think it's because of experience cos Onazi, Echiejile, Musa, Moses have the experience. Mikel is inspirational. And any player regardless of experience can inspire the team. Infact the team psychologist should talk to the squad to wean themselves off the mentality that once Mikel doesn't play or is substituted our game has to suffer for it. Portugal won the last Euro without Ronaldo. In fact they played better after he was substituted.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:03pm On Oct 31, 2017
kingphilip:
if he can just cement that left back and Shehu continues that blistering form at right back, Nigeria's full back issues will be sorted out for close to a decade
That's the advantage of catching them young.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2017
junnyjake:

Nwakali didn't get work permit to feature for Girona which was why he never got to play a game for them.

I don't see how that is failure in his side. Read the part I bolded in the report.

TheGoodjoe erroneously suggested that the coach was being racist because Nwakali was the only black in the team then and he wasn't getting games.

Bhuhahaha! When did work permit all of a sudden became difficult to get in Spain? shocked grin

Is it not the same coach that is playing Kayode? shocked grin bhahahahi!

Nwakali failed to meet up to expection hence the need to look for a league that befits his standard. Norway was the perfect for his below per average level. grin

Unfortunately, he has also falling short of the requirements for work permit in England hence the need to use the National team.

This is the koko. So, my points stand gidigba.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2017
junnyjake:

Hahahaha hahahaha. Na you be the first to use that tool here ooo. Just counter his points Bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:17pm On Oct 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

Do you know that in law how you obtain your evidence does not matter? Once it passes the twin criteria of relevance and admissibility it would be accepted even if you stole it, bribed to get it or duped someone to get it.

I am not justifying wuru wuru sha but just to let you know that this your university analogy is not universal nor is it apt for this case. Cos I don't think it's wrong for scouts and agents to say 'hey Coach, I got this sweet player, would you mind trying him out?' Even parents with talented kids do that. The issue should not be how you got called because Kog45 has shown that players get called through different means. If you were in a position to influence things today now, you'd make sure Tega, Aluko, Tammy, Onomah are invited and if they cut it fine.

The only problem will be where the player(s) is tested and falls short and yet still continues to feature in the team thereby robbing some other quality player of his opportunity and ultimately the team.

Firstly, you are wrong, using the principles of law, there are clear rules governing evidence. If those rules are breached then it becomes inadmissible.

I stand by my analogy to ensure probity and fair play there must be criteria that governs players selection. Once you do not have clear, measurable and identifiable processes then it becomes open to abuse. I said earlier, once objective parameters are lost then subjective personal preference takes place. In our country that's a recipe for disaster and the foundation for all things corrupt.

Once again if you circumvent the pre- requisite qualifications and by pass them it's wrong and unfair. It's very possible for a person with two O/levels to by pass the requisite qualifications for entrance into university and put thier head down and get a first class degree. But it's WRONG it means that those who were more deserving were essentially cheated. That's corruption.

If that's what you think is OK then you are part of the problem not the solution.

With regards to football who says the more deserving and qualified person could have gone on to be a world class player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

I am not just happy that the US did not qualify. There's this noise they bring which I find exhilarating. Congratulations to Panama though.

I will not miss them.

They don't even have one single player that'll make you want to watch them play

Their football is too computerised. No much individual brilliance but team work and high efficiency. They are almost like Germany.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:25pm On Oct 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

I have explained what I mean in an earlier response. Their nationality reads 'England' not 'Nigeria'

I love patois (this is the correct spelling Sir) with its heavy and slow drawl. Very exotic. Have you read Lonely Londoners by Sam Selvon? If you have not, please read it. You go laugh tire yet it depicts the experiences of first generation immigrants to the UK in an unforgettable way. And yes there's a Nigerian in it.

That's the English man's interpretation of the diction but among Jamaicans the more acceptable term is Patwa.

So because oyibo man say corro way is corner way I should accept it. No chance. Corro way remains.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:26pm On Oct 31, 2017
Has he finished using the DMs on the bench? Both Ogu and Etebo haven't played for almost 3 matches now, so what is the use of Nwakali as DM?
tbaba1234:

Who are your better options at DM that are currently fit?

I am not sure of Nwakali's readiness for national team duty but the coach must have reviewed scouting reports to invite him. How many Nigerian players score the type of goals that Nwakali has scored in the last couple of seasons?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:26pm On Oct 31, 2017
tbaba1234:
A team should be a mix of youth and experience.

Nigeria appears to have much more youth than experience. We struggle when Mikel is missing.

True bro. There is something Mikel brings to that team that our previous captains/team leaders had not brought in the last 10years.

It appears as if those young players ride on the back of Mikel.They play better with Mikel in the team. Watch that Iwobi's goal against Zambia again and see the interplay between Iwobi, Mikel and Ighalo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:33pm On Oct 31, 2017
somehow:
Has he finished using the DMs on the bench? Both Ogu and E haven't played for almost 3 matches now, so what is the use of Nwakali as DM?

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:38pm On Oct 31, 2017
forgiveness:

If they want to help Nwakali get work permit because he has totally failed to live up to expectations as at now then they should extend such gesture to all Nigerians on contract with English clubs.

T l to

In the place i come from you must work hard to achieve you aims.

Selection by merit not influence and connective manipulation

I cannot disagree in terms of performance and in comparison apart from Awoniyi there are too many players ahead of him.

Yesterday evening I was with a Nigerian origin player who has played a couple of games for a EPL team. He is left footed and fast i have been saying he is not ready yet. What do I say to him now Go and play in a bottom club facing relegation in a moi moi league ranked 30 in Europe and Rohr's scouts will then notice you.

Or how u see am
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:45pm On Oct 31, 2017
komekn:

I cannot disagree in terms of performance and in comparison apart from Awoniyi there are too many players ahead of him.

Yesterday evening I was with a Nigerian origin player who has played a couple of games for a EPL team. He is left footed and fast i have been saying he is not ready yet. What do I say to him now Go and play in a bottom club facing relegation in a moi moi league ranked 30 in Europe and Rohr's scouts will then notice you.

Or how u see am

Walahi! Em go curse you die. grin

Just image telling a player to go one moi moi league to get noticed by wuru wuru scouts of Rohr. Now, that is preposterous. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:51pm On Oct 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

US decided not to qualify cos it's Russia hosting the WC grin

Donald Trump

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:52pm On Oct 31, 2017
somehow:
Has he finished using the DMs on the bench? Both Ogu and E haven't played for almost 3 matches now, so what is the use of Nwakali as DM?

The coach has the prerogative on the positions, he intends to fill.

If he is looking for an extra DM, that is his decision

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:52pm On Oct 31, 2017
Anderlecht's #9, Henry Onyekuru starts as a center forward against PSG.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:53pm On Oct 31, 2017
gbam
tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:53pm On Oct 31, 2017
somehow:

E no get answer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:55pm On Oct 31, 2017
tbaba1234:

forgiveness:
CHIDIEBERE NWAKALI CAN ONLY PLAY DMF, CMF AND LM. HE NEVER PLAYED AS A LB.

People should not come here and tell us about versatility. No call dog a monkey to deceive the mumus.

If Rohr is truely looking for a DMF, we have many of dem doing well in a better league than in one obscure league in Norway.

No 1. Ryan Sanusi is playing in the EREDIVISIE for Sparta R. He is a free scoring DMF and he can play in 5 other roles( AM, CM, LW, LM & RW)

No 2. Brian Idowu is currently playing in the Russian league. He is also a better option than Chidiebere Nwakali because he is more versatile and plays in a better league than him. He Is double times versatile than Chidiebere Nwakali. He has played regularly as a DMF, RB, LB, CB, LM & LM. Why was he placed on standby while a player from obscure league just surface on the list from no where?

No 3. Raheem Lawal doesn't need any formal introduction. He has played and still playing as an DMF, AM & CM but the corrupt and selective system will never allow merit to reign in this country.He ones played as a RW too.

No 4. Hope Akpan also doesn't need any formal introduction. He is more versatile than chidiebere Nwakali some people want to force down our throat. E no go work. He offfers options in the LM, DM, CMF & AMF

These are the ones that doesn't need any FIFA approval/clearance before they can play for their father's land.

Time will not permit me to write about Ramon Azeez who is currently helping his club to top the la liga 2 table. I didn't mention Joel obi because they made excuse that he was injured when the list was made. So, Rohr doesnt have credit on his phone to find out about his injury?

If I begin add those ones nko? But it is not necessary now. Now, why did the coaching crew ignored these ones?

I have not mentioned those that need clearance oooo.

Tell which is the same pedigree with Chidiebere Nwakali. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:56pm On Oct 31, 2017
komekn:

Firstly, you are wrong, using the principles of law, there are clear rules governing evidence. If those rules are breached then it becomes inadmissible.

I stand by my analogy to ensure probity and fair play there must be criteria that governs players selection. Once you do not have clear, measurable and identifiable processes then it becomes open to abuse. I said earlier, once objective parameters are lost then subjective personal preference takes place. In our country that's a recipe for disaster and the foundation for all things corrupt.

Once again if you circumvent the pre- requisite qualifications and by pass them it's wrong and unfair. It's very possible for a person with two O/levels to by pass the requisite qualifications for entrance into university and put thier head down and get a first class degree. But it's WRONG it means that those who were more deserving were essentially cheated. That's corruption.

If that's what you think is OK then you are part of the problem not the solution.

With regards to football who says the more deserving and qualified person could have gone on to be a world class player.
Let's not argue law but I know - from practice in applying decided cases both English and Nigerian- that it is an established common law principle of the law of evidence that illegally obtained evidence is admissible in court if it passes the other tests of admissibility because the court does not concern itself with how the evidence was obtained but whether it is RELEVANT. Read this: Also in Tortii v Ukpabi (1984) 1 SCNLR 214 at 236-237 and 239-240, respectively, Eso and Aniagolu JJSC stated respectively and said as follows:-
“There is no general rule of law in civil as well as in criminal cases that evidence which is relevant is excluded merely by the way in which it has been obtained; and
“Again, as was held in Kuruma v The Queen (1955) A.C. 197, the test to be applied, both in civil and criminal cases, in considering whether evidence is admissible is whether it is relevant to the matters in issue. If it is, it is admissible and the court is not concerned with how it was obtained.”.

So while I am not trying to encourage corruption I'd say what is admissible in the court of football fans is not how the player was obtained but how RELEVANT the player is- relevant in posting good performances and adding quality and value to the team. Players come into the team through different means - some by their performance in their clubs, some by the recommendations of agents, some by political pressure. All of this would not matter if the player proves his mettle and I don't think ultimately any of this will save a player if he fails to perform. That's my point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:58pm On Oct 31, 2017
Joebie:
Anderlecht's #9, Henry Onyekuru starts as a center forward against PSG.

I just say his match against PSG the last time. He lost one on one with keeper and he lost a free header face to face with goalkeeper.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1972) (1973) (1974) (1975) (1976) (1977) (1978) ... (16524) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: akwesenana, Mujtahida and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.