Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,143 members, 7,893,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 06:41 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2053) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12103915 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2050) (2051) (2052) (2053) (2054) (2055) (2056) ... (16445) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 2:35pm On Nov 10, 2017
Dude lemme say this here. Even if England does not want this guy he is never going to play for Naija. He doesn't feel Naija at all. You only just call his name cos you feel like. Deep down you know he will never play for us. It a like toasting a gal. You tend to know who'd say yes to you.

forgiveness:

NFF will not approach him now until he comes super star finish.

Were are those so called scouts going about their scouting in one lowly Norwegian league, huh?

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 2:41pm On Nov 10, 2017
isan:
Assuming Nigeria need a result in today's match tension will be everywhere tactics will be flying up and down on nairaland ,many Nigerians will be busy with their calculator, the ex -internationals will be ready to pounce on rohr and also rohr sack letter will be on NFf table by now but will don't need a result so nobody cares.
It's that serious that so many people do not even know that Nigeria has a match today. it's even even on front page.. Me sef no care about the match, i wantu just enjoy good football grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:42pm On Nov 10, 2017
chrisooblog:
hmmm a player who is yet to score and has barely featured for liverpool this season is about to be called up. what has he done to justify his inclusion? this is pure conspiracy infact gareth southgate and the FA have collected egunje! abi forgiveness wink cheesy grin

England have changed policy in player recruitment into the 3 lions set-up. When the legislation for payment of developmental compensation as proposed by the Montagliani lead Committee see the light of the day, they will have all the cards.
The black man in Africa should continue living in foools paradise,thinking the oyibo man will do the heavy lifting, scout and develop your players just so you can use the same players and knock them out of the world cup.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 2:48pm On Nov 10, 2017
kennysville:

Lemme add no 8... you all drive around today with drivers licence. Did any one of you actually go for driving test? Exactly my point..... kwarraption has been institutionalized
Yea some of us actually did. Generalizations such as these are weak and mostly borne out of reluctance to truly see things from the other side of the divide.

Yes, we are mostly corrupt. Anybody denying this is living in fool's paradise, but that doesn't mean we tag everything we do not understand 'corrupt' as it is been done here.

Over the past weeks I've read these corruption charges flying around and while some are truly genuine, others are purely because we do not understand the standpoint of those we are charging.

Guardiola, for instance, sold the best player in Africa for who? A player from freaking La masia, with very little big game experience. Many people just could not grasp their fingers around that decision, but many years later, we are all hailing busquet as one of the most technical DMF of his generation. In Nigeria we would tag that decision as corrupt.

There are many of such instances in football and indeed other aspects of our daily lives. Corruption is deeply ingrained in the fabric of our society, that much everybody agrees. But if you would just take a moment to see things from another man's point of view, you'll realise that some decisions are purely harmless human choices and though some may be wrong, it has nothing to do with corruption.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 2:49pm On Nov 10, 2017
Thank you brother. This thing is making me ewar to use a baton and bash someone's head. I swear if this was a bar and this nonsense is being discussed they for don break person head. I'm just going to do a head count on these players they are parabulating about.
This is as at 8.42am Nigerian time:
Solanke is in ENGLAND's under21 camp being considered to be uprooted to their senior squad;
Tammy Abraham is with ENGLAND's main team;
Onomah and Lookman are in ENGLAND's under 20 or 21 squad (saw it on IG);
Tonorarigha was on the bench yesterday for GERMANY's under 20 team.
These guys are not in NIGERIA's camp. I just checked their bio to make sure tmof their declared FOOTBALL nationality, at no time did any website categorize them as Nigerians.when they change their mind and decide that they want to party for Naija, they know what to do. Enough of this noise. We have gotten the ones that opted for us.

Humility017:

thank you my brother....you understood me perfectly well....

I could have as well....keep quiet..
but he is gradually repeating it everyday..
one will think now...that foreign born players he is talking about...will gladly accept us should we make approach...but the reverse will be the case....as they don't mind make headlines on rejecting Nigeria advancea just to draw up Southgate attention...

it is annoying players who have not even accept playing for nigeria are been hyped and our homegrown player pulled down...

I don't mind onomah achievement he did that for England...
oshimen have flew Nigeria's flag high in time past and I believe he will keep up the good work....as he make progress...

I am not against this onomah and co....but dont pull down other players just to promote them...I remember after all the fuss over nwakali super eagles call up...
he could not provide an alternative someone he has in mind that should have been called in his place...unlike sir forgiveness who gave names of players that worth considering..

deep down I believe his problem with nwakali is not because the lad lack potentials but because he is playing in far away Norway....as if it is the guy's fault...

here we talk of a young boy...who all he has achieved in life is as a result of hardwork and God's favor....
he never had anything smooth for him...

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:29pm On Nov 10, 2017
isan:
Assuming Nigeria need a result in today's match tension will be everywhere tactics will be flying up and down on nairaland ,many Nigerians will be busy with their calculator, the ex -internationals will be ready to pounce on rohr and also rohr sack letter will be on NFf table by now but will don't need a result so nobody cares.
it feels good to be relaxed..... Feels real good grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 3:37pm On Nov 10, 2017
Like Christmas in november
safarigirl:

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 4:09pm On Nov 10, 2017
safarigirl:
I am actually gonna have drinks in cool spot while seeing a super eagles game for the first on a Friday night grin
Oh my Gosh cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 4:16pm On Nov 10, 2017
One of the many gifts Santa rohr has bestowed... ND some ppl b calling him corrupt.
Kalapizim:
I am actually gonna have drinks in cool spot while seeing a super eagles game for the first on a Friday night grin
Oh my Gosh cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 4:29pm On Nov 10, 2017
Tammy Abraham snub is a valuable lesson
By Oluwashina Okeleji, Contributor
10 November 2017 | 3:57 am

Tammy Abraham is one of the Europe-born players being courted by the NFF.

The drama around Tammy Abraham over the last fortnight or so has been impossible to miss. The Swansea man has been called up to the England squad on the back of some fine performances in the English Premier League, and that announcement in itself ought to have rested the narrative around Nigeria’s interest in the player.
Except that, to expect that is to misread the Nigerian personality. For all its foibles, its citizens are a proud people, and no one likes to be turned down. Suffice to say that, if Abraham goes on to make a successful international career with the Three Lions, he will be doing it in spite of a generous chunk of negative energy stemming from the country of his ancestry.

Some of that though is to do with the fortunes of those who have chosen to spurn Nigeria over the years. There is even a direct parallel with Gabriel Agbonlahor, whose introduction in the Premier League back in 2007 was more eye-catching than Abraham’s now. Having tied him down, England never had much use for him afterward, and his career promptly diffused into thin air.

Patrick Owomoyela and Sidney Sam with Germany are two other pertinent examples; the usual approach is to immediately cap them once Nigeria begins to sniff around: an old trick, but a very fair one, making them forever inaccessible.

This has fed into some of the gloating and sour grapes that is in play among Nigerians regarding the youngster, and while it is entirely possible that he flunks out like all the others, this is a highly talented footballer with a whole lot of development ahead of him. We cannot begrudge him a chance to pursue what is evidently a dream of his.

He seems genuinely excited at the prospect of representing England, and has been relentless not only in posting pictures and tweets, but in stating that in spite of Nigeria’s best intentions (we were willing to roll out the red carpet, apparently; what that means in concrete terms is not hard to imagine), he never really considered us an option. Obviously, this is a slap on the cheek, but only in the sense that we exposed ourselves to it. The unvarnished truth is that Abraham does not need Nigeria, and Nigeria does not need Abraham.

A fascinating consideration: had he consented to play for Nigeria, would we get the same level of enthusiasm as he is now displaying? That is doubtful. It seems that there was a lot of fanfare for a footballer who was not overly interested to begin with, and this makes a mockery of those who genuinely have an interest in representing the Super Eagles.

To see the President of the NFF, Amaju Pinnick, bend over backward in this fashion, time and again over foreign-born players, can hardly be encouraging for locally-based players, for example. While the national pool should be open to all Nigerians born everywhere, it would be best to single out those who indicate a definite interest, a desire to be a part of the project. It does not mean that every foreign-born Nigerian footballer must play for Nigeria.

Increasingly, it is looking like that is all it takes. The manner in which it is being pursued also leaves a lot to be desired; whatever the motivations, going so hard on Abraham off the back of a single meeting and a photo op was heavy-handed. Arguably, this brash approach has only reaped reward in the case of Ola Aina, and that was helped by the fact the player’s father himself was eager that the then-Chelsea youngster represent Nigeria.

In the cases of Sone Aluko and Leon Balogun, to name two, we have seen how a pre-existing willingness can and does lead to greater commitment to the cause. To them, it was not so much about convincing them to play for Nigeria, as it was presenting them an opportunity to do what they always wanted to.

That really is the biggest lesson of this entire episode. If a player needs to be convinced, then he is not really doing what he wants. Rather than chase shadows, we owe it to ourselves to preserve our pride, and reward those who genuinely desire a chance to pull on our national colours.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 4:30pm On Nov 10, 2017
komekn:

Explain more please, why would a Bundesliga club be playing friendlies with the season in full swing. Particularly as once again they are hovering around the relegation zone

I want to make an informed guess that it will be a game dominated by fringe players and youth players so almost a U23 game.

Osimhen has played twice for the first team coming on as a late substitute has not even made the bench in quite a few games. And some are suggesting he is SE top quality material.
victor osimhen is better than all these English player you keep bringing up bro

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2017
forgiveness:

NFF will not approach him now until he comes super star finish.

Were are those so called scouts going about their scouting in one lowly Norwegian league, huh?

You think say he go agree huh?
Abi you want him to continue from where Tammy stopped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:49pm On Nov 10, 2017
lol..I was actually listening to the anthem at the beginning of that Zambia game. But football aside.
u sef when u listen to the anthem, e dey sweet you?

neighy:
dont tell me FOOTBALL IS OR ONE of the reason/s
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 4:50pm On Nov 10, 2017
So
So in order to avoid being disgraced, We should leave the foreign born players alone until they decide its Nigeria they want to represent.?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 4:51pm On Nov 10, 2017
Joebie:
lol..I was actually listening to the anthem at the beginning of that Zambia game. But football aside.
u sef when u listen to the anthem, e dey sweet you?

not like it dosent sound sweet, it's more of becoming stale.

Like more spice needs to be added
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 4:52pm On Nov 10, 2017
It's high time we get over this Tammy breakup, I don't understand why the nnf dont scout these guys before they get into limelight, there some bright enobhakare playing for a highly rated wolves where he is impressing , there Maja who if not for inguries would have arguably been Sunderland first team striker, there Ike ugbo, ebere eze whO are open to playing for us, we really need to follow up these players coz all they need is to feel wanted. Iwobi, Moses, Ola aina, ebuehi, ekong let's not decieve ourselves if thier bi country called them into thier respective national team they would gladly want represent them because they are a big footballing nation. Nigeria showed more desire and got them you can't expect players born In England to Nigeria parents behaving like Nigerians it's rare, except those who parents had a lot of influence on his love for Nigeria like ainas father. The problem is that Nigerians are one of the most sentimental and proud country, but will now for a boy to play for you who was born in Britain and totally British, let's not deceive our self the pinnick boasting on Tammy turns out to backfire to show that thier Nigerian mothers/fathers have little or no influence on thier international career decisions.
To be sincere Tammy is a very talented player, but he's not the only one. Umar Sodiq of Torino is almost a carbon copy of Tammy, he was the lead striker for the under 23, so what's the hype we have capable strikers when are hungry with quality just believe in them, instead we want Tammy It's not like we don't have excellent talent for the future so why the hurt shey nah all thier top young stars una wan steal finish..we have hungry talented strikers In my opinion Tammy will not be missed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 4:56pm On Nov 10, 2017
We deserved it we have come a long way
safarigirl:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:03pm On Nov 10, 2017
that anthem was NEVER sweet.
To make matters worse, the instrumental dull.
Kakamorufu:
not like it dosent sound sweet, it's more of becoming stale.

Like more spice needs to be added
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 10, 2017
the arrival of the nigerian team to constatine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew1rgg85DM0

Training before the match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbj78dSL1p0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 5:09pm On Nov 10, 2017
Joebie:
that anthem was NEVER sweet.
To make matters worse, the instrumental dull.
sure. I concur. They can improve on the instrumentals sha. More tuba and trumpet
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:09pm On Nov 10, 2017
Mehn...I'm gonna have to miss this game.. I don't usually watch late night games...and not enough data to stream..

All the best to the boys. and I hope Ebuehi makes his debut today .the got has waited too long abeg. even if it's just 10 minutes ..

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 5:10pm On Nov 10, 2017
Joebie:
Nigeria Target Dominic Solanke Set To Get Eleventh-Hour Call-Up To England Senior Team
Published: November 10, 2017

Photo: thefa.com

Nigeria Target Dominic Solanke Set To Get Eleventh-Hour Call-Up To England Senior Team Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke is set to be handed a late call-up to England senior national team ahead of Tuesday night's friendly against Brazil at the National Stadium in London, according to reports.

The Guardian UK, is reporting that Gareth Southgate is set to call up three under-21 forwards for the Brazil friendly, Demarai Gray, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Dominic Solanke to make up the numbers.

England have been hit by injuries ahead of tonight's glamour game against Germany, with Jordan Henderson, Jack Butland, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Harry Winks, Dele Alli and Harry Kane pulling out of the squad.

It is thought Solanke will join up with the Three Lions upon his return to the England, after representing the U21 team in a European U21 Championship qualifier against Ukraine.

The 20-year-old, who is being monitored by the Nigerian Federation with a view to a call-up to the Super Eagles, could made his England debut two years after he first trained with the senior team.

Chelsea loanee Tammy Abraham is also set to play his first international game for England Men's national team within the next four days.

Igho Kingsley

--ANS
congrats to both solanke and Abraham they deserved it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2017
Just reminds me of NTA logo. Government things sef tire me.

Modified
More tuba and trumpet? It would need a new arrangement.

Kakamorufu:
sure. I concur. They can improve on the instrumentals sha. More tuba and trumpet

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2017
Algerian1:

Thanks and welcome...

Do you think Madjer will improve the team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 10, 2017
Abeg o, has the team list being confirmed?

Besides the ownnigeria list earlier released as we have been warned to take their news with a drum of salt.

Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 5:14pm On Nov 10, 2017
Algerian1:

Niceone. It's good to be multilingual

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:15pm On Nov 10, 2017
grin
We have to wait for something official. They've pretty much been close with their guesses in the past.

Taliban:
Abeg o, has the team list being confirmed?

Besides the ownnigeria list earlier released as we have been warned to take their news with a drum of salt.

Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2017
Joebie:
Just reminds me of NTA logo. Government things sef tire me.

Modified
More tuba and trumpet? It would need a new arrangement.

haha. Nta logo was changed back then by Murray Bruce. And I must tell u, it was lovely.

Not until Tony iredia came and returned it back to the old logo. �. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2017
tbaba1234:

Thanks and welcome...

Do you think Madjer will improve the team?

i m not interesting a lot in football , but madjer havnt a good reputation in Algeria , he didnt show anything as a coach during his career , he was the coach of algerian national team in 1994 and 2002 it was a failure ! ,

and he will not change anything in such a short time, it will take months of work and stability to let the Algerian team back to their level , and seeing how algerian medias attacks him daily even before he start his first match , he should not stay long also like others !

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:27pm On Nov 10, 2017
komekn:

Ndidi, Mikel and Onazi are the current backbone of the midfield. Hope simply in comparison is not on thier level. But anybody else I would say he is not necessarily better but able to compete. How good he is we will now never know the opportunity to compete was never given. The way he was dropped unceremoniously from SE after getting injured for them leaves a lot to be desired.

It's not everything I can say but once again influence peddling and politics got in the way leaving bother player completely disgruntled. Not they way he should have been treated.

Sone Aluko was shameless blatant unguarded corruption. No need to go into detail what is dissapointing there are those who were guilty by consent and are still in the NFF.

I am sure you must know that Rohr is not a one man band. Rohr has been in Africa for over a decade he knows how to play our politics. Consider what prior agreements and arrangements were made on the table and underneath it. You are experienced so I don't need to say more.

So it impossible in the context of Nigerian football and the NFF for Rohr not be influenced and or coerced. Furthermore, he can't do everything by himself players will be recommended from above and below. Football is in my experience is about that big word OPPORTUNITY.

Who will get the opportunity.

Finally a sore point for some what do you think of Tega Onomah. Not about the possibility of him coming to the SE but as a player first.

Yeah, of course, the coming of Rorh won't just halt the corrupt practices going on in the federation for decades.

What I'm saying is, at least for now, we can predict at least 96% of SE players to make the list, that hasn't been so in recent years.

Concerning Onomah, I've seen him play for Tottenham last season, dude was pretty impressive, tireless, brilliant, technical as well. If I were to pick between him and Winks, I would definitely go for Onomah. But glad he's having a good time at Villa.

Based on personal preference I'd take Chuks instead, I like them midfielders in the mould of Yaya Toure, Moussa Dembele for Tottenham. His physicality is a plus to his overall game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:29pm On Nov 10, 2017
Exactly the point I had wanted to make. We always shoot down progressive ideas in this country.
We like holding on to our old ways. Never forward thinking.. it's just crazy. It's in our consciousness.
I remember that blue logo. Only to return to see this same old one. I was like, "what!"

Kakamorufu:
haha. Nta logo was changed back then by Murray Bruce. And I must tell u, it was lovely.

Not until Tony iredia came and returned it back to the old logo. �. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:33pm On Nov 10, 2017
enomakos:
victor osimhen is better than all these English player you keep bringing up bro

How can you make such conclusions?? And what parameters informed this position we've taken.

The term "overhyped English players" is getting cliched already.

If Osimhen isn't good enough to make match day squads or just good enough to make the bench in his team or make a couple of cameo appearances in a season, does that makes him the best player??

(1) (2) (3) ... (2050) (2051) (2052) (2053) (2054) (2055) (2056) ... (16445) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mekabuachi, Mujtahida and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.