Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,159 members, 7,890,922 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:17 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2278) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12083531 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2275) (2276) (2277) (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) ... (16440) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:36am On Dec 04, 2017
Joebie:
Ogbeche's recent stats:

In the order of pics:
1. Current 17/18 stats
2. 2nd half of 16/17 marred with injury
3. 1st half of 16/17 with only 336 minutes played
4. 15/16 season

Recent stats.

What has he been up to 2-15 years back?

We have refused to learn. The same mistakes we keep making over and over.

Form may be temporary but class is permanent.

I would even rather have an Obafemi Martins who has class and is in a decent form.

Ogbeche kwa?

Tomorrow when they say you are an advocate for the oldies you will be arguing for Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:38am On Dec 04, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Uzoho plays regularly for his club. Such is not the case with Alampasu.

And Uzoho plays for Deportivo team B, not C. And he's first choice.

Oga, who tell you say Uzoho na first choice?

Modified: Team B. OK.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:50am On Dec 04, 2017
Were they not the country that beat Cameroon in Brazil? I mean with song getting a red card out of frustration? Maybe he's judging with the 2014 world cup performance.
Napoleon55:
probably the last time this dude watched an African team was at Italia '90,Cameroon vs Brazil or so,and for him that's his yardstick for all African team,including NIGERIA,i wish their coach will have this kind of mindset going for the game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:54am On Dec 04, 2017
somehow:
Were they not the country that beat Cameroon in Brazil? I mean with song getting a red card out of frustration? Maybe he's judging with the 2014 world cup performance.
he must think we are fielding the same players from 2014 like they are doing.

We won Cameroon 4-0 recently as well, so, such judgment is erroneous....but they should keep up with it grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:04am On Dec 04, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Uzoho plays regularly for his club. Such is not the case with Alampasu.

And Uzoho plays for Deportivo team B, not C. And he's first choice.

Yes, Uzoho plays regularly for his team B in third division regularly while Dele Alampasu who at one time was a second choice with the team A in the second division three seasons ago had played regularly in the third division last season before he was promoted to the first team in the Portuguese first division. You can see he is progressing and he is in a better position than Uzoho.

The difference is clear.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22am On Dec 04, 2017
ChrisKels:
Did u know that ifeanyi Mathew is rated among the top 3 midfielders in the Norwegian league. He is his team's best midfielder (if not best player) and he steered them away from relegation, and just two days ago, he was his usual midfield maestro and won his team the Norwegian FA cup. He played every minute of his team's games this season with about 4goals to his name plus many man of the match awards. I read sometime last window that he was wanted by Anderletch but opted to stay back to save his team from relegation.

Now that begs the question "what was the rationale behind Nwakali's invitation?"

Chidiebere Nwakali and Ifeanyi Matthew have contrasting style of play. So you can not expect Ifeanyi Matthew opted ahead of Chidiebere Nwakali if the coach is looking for a player with the attributes Chidiebere Nwakali has.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:23am On Dec 04, 2017
forgiveness:

Yes, Uzoho plays regularly for his team B in third division regularly while Dele Alampasu who at one time was a second choice with the team A in the second division three seasons ago had played regularly in the third division last season before he was promoted to the first team in the Portuguese first division. You can see he is progressing and he is in a better position than Uzoho.

The difference is clear.

is it now Uzoho vs Alamapasu? What happened to Ajiboye? I believe he is better than both
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:24am On Dec 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Chidiebere Nwakali and Ifeanyi Matthew have contrasting style of play. So you can not expect Ifeanyi Matthew opted ahead of Chidiebere Nwakali if the coach is looking for a player with the attributes Chidiebere Nwakali has.

what is Ifeanyi Matthew's style of play and what is Nwakali's style of play?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:26am On Dec 04, 2017
Mickael2:

what is Ifeanyi Matthew's style of play and what is Nwakali's style of play?

Do they play the same way?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:28am On Dec 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Do they play the same way?
so you actually don't know?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:39am On Dec 04, 2017
Daejoyoung:

You mean you are not impressed with Onyekuru? l think the lad can be an effective substitute for Moses Simon in a 4-3-3 formation.

Kayode and Onyekuru are good but ... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:42am On Dec 04, 2017
This line ups can pull us outta that group stage with ease, barring any form of injuries and dip in form;

Against Croatia and Iceland ;

Uzoho

Shehu Ekong Balogun Idowu

Ndidi Mikel
iwobi

Moses Onyekuru
Ighalo

* Mikel as a CM gives the midfield balance as octopus Ndidi does more of the shielding playing as the DM while Iwobi with his incisive, defense-splitting passes plays ahead of them in the AM position. Mikel playing centrally will also help to annul the effect of Modric and whoever plays alongside him.

* The choice Moses is a no brainer while the choice of Onyekuru is because he is a tricky winger and can easily commit Loveren and Co. He promises goals and assists unlike most other wingers. He does well to fall back too when the team concedes possession.

* The choice of my back four is a no brainer though if Ebuehi and or OLA prove to be improvements (crosses while galloping tro and fro the line, and positional play) on Shehu at the right full back, Shehu sits.

Against Argentina probably with 6points already in the bag;

Uzoho

Awaziem Balogun Ekong

Moses Ndidi Mikel Onazi/Ogu(orJoel) Idowu

Ighalo Iwobi

* I chose Uzoho ahead of every other goalkeeper including Enyeama because I don't think Enyeama is coming back. But if he does come back (meeting the criteria needed), then he gets my nod, but until then, I'm working with what is available.

* Moses plays RWB for me because he is about the best in that position right now in the world. And he can still effect the game playing there. Lol he would be up against tired D'maria and whack Rojo.

* Ighalo and Iwobi can do it upfront like Nacho and Iwobi did it in the friendly. It won't be bad also if Kelechi starts ahead of Ighalo for set pieces and the synergy between him and iwobi. I have a selection headache here.

This is my opinion and it's open for constructive criticism

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:46am On Dec 04, 2017
Mickael2:

Let me make it easy. Ifeanyi Matthew plays like Mikel Obi and Chidiebere Nwakali plays like Onazi. If the coach is looking for a player that plays like Onazi, Ifeanyi Matthew will not fall on his radar. Chidiebere Nwakali will.

So asking why Chidiebere Nwakali got invited and despite the exploits of Ifeanyi Matthew, the attributes and style of play of Chidiebere Nwakali and the needs of the manager could play a deciding factor.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 11:47am On Dec 04, 2017
safarigirl:

We won Cameroon 4-0 recently as well, so, such judgment is erroneous....but they should keep up with it grin
Matter of fact we won a more improved and stable Cameroonian squad, coming into the qualifiers as African champions.

This is in sharp contrast to the Cameroonian side they met, which was held back by loads of controversies.

From assou-ekotto headbutting his teammate to Alex song getting a 'sani keitaish' red card, added to the serious allegations of match-fixing levelled against them, what you get is a Cameroonian side that would have fallen to even the Iranian team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:47am On Dec 04, 2017
Mickael2:

is it now Uzoho vs Alamapasu? What happened to Ajiboye? I believe he is better than both

No no no. I just wanted to clarify something.

Yes, I believe Ajiboye is a better option than both after I deliberated on the best choice for the gk position. And you can see I made it clear when I listed him among my goalkeepers.

After all, Enyeama and Ejide were home based when they broke into the national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:52am On Dec 04, 2017
Mickael2:

grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:54am On Dec 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Let me make it easy. Ifeanyi Matthew plays like Mikel Obi and Chidiebere Nwakali plays like Onazi. If the coach is looking for a player that plays like Onazi, Ifeanyi Matthew will not fall on his radar. Chidiebere Nwakali will.

So asking why Chidiebere Nwakali got invited and despite the exploits of Ifeanyi Matthew, the attributes and style of play of Chidiebere Nwakali and the needs of the manager could play a deciding factor.

for the record, Ifeanyi Matthew plays more like Joel Obi which is also who Nwakali plays like, sometimes you need to watch these people to decide. I just noticed that you have not watched either/both of them

for the record I typed that without consulting whoscored.com but here is the link sha incase you still wan argue https://www.whoscored.com/Players/281046/Show/Ifeanyi-Mathew
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:55am On Dec 04, 2017
Humility017:

bro...he is not better than the forwards we already have....so let the matter rest.
we're still trying to squeeze kayode into the 23 man list...here you still talking of Martins.

Which forwards do we have that is better than Martin?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:56am On Dec 04, 2017
Mickael2:

for the record, Ifeanyi Matthew plays more like Joel Obi which is also who Nwakali plays like, sometimes you need to watch these people to decide. I just noticed that you have not watched either/both of them

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:58am On Dec 04, 2017
forgiveness:

grin

i been wan keep quiet oo grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:59am On Dec 04, 2017
forgiveness:

No no no. I just wanted to clarify something.

Yes, I believe Ajiboye is a better option than both after I deliberated on the best choice for the gk position. And you can see I made it clear when I listed him among my goalkeepers.

After all, Enyeama and Ejide were home based when they broke into the national team.

I think he is one option people are neglecting. The dude is a solid GK
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2017
SerVik:

Matter of fact we won a more improved and stable Cameroonian squad, coming into the qualifiers as African champions.

This is in sharp contrast to the Cameroonian side they met, which was held back by loads of controversies.

From assou-ekotto headbutting his teammate to Alex song getting a 'sani keitaish' red card, added to the serious allegations of match-fixing levelled against them, what you get is a Cameroonian side that would have fallen to even the Iranian team.
True this...but leave them, make dem dey think say 2018 and 2014 na the same or that Nigeria and Cameroon are the same

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:11pm On Dec 04, 2017
forgiveness:

The difference is clear.

is Alampasu playing regularly for the first division currently? Or is he chopping bench?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:20pm On Dec 04, 2017
Mickael2:

i been wan keep quiet oo grin grin grin

Ride on. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:26pm On Dec 04, 2017
Mickael2:

I think he is one option people are neglecting. The dude is a solid GK

I agree with you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:43pm On Dec 04, 2017
ChrisKels:
This line ups can pull us outta that group stage with ease, barring any form of injuries and dip in form;

Against Croatia and Iceland ;

Uzoho

Shehu Ekong Balogun Idowu

Ndidi Mikel
iwobi

Moses Onyekuru
Ighalo

* Mikel as a CM gives the midfield balance as octopus Ndidi does more of the shielding playing as the DM while Iwobi with his incisive, defense-splitting passes plays ahead of them in the AM position. Mikel playing centrally will also help to annul the effect of Modric and whoever plays alongside him.

* The choice Moses is a no brainer while the choice of Onyekuru is because he is a tricky winger and can easily commit Loveren and Co. He promises goals and assists unlike most other wingers. He does well to fall back too when the team concedes possession.

* The choice of my back four is a no brainer though if Ebuehi and or OLA prove to be improvements (crosses while galloping tro and fro the line, and positional play) on Shehu at the right full back, Shehu sits.

Against Argentina probably with 6points already in the bag;

Uzoho

Awaziem Balogun Ekong

Moses Ndidi Mikel Ogu/Joel Idowu

Ighalo Iwobi

* I chose Uzoho ahead of every other goalkeeper including Enyeama because I don't think Enyeama is coming back. But if he does come back (meeting the criteria needed), then he gets my nod, but until then, I'm working with what is available.

* Moses plays RWB for me because he is about the best in that position right now in the world. And he can still effect the game playing there. Lol he would be up against tired D'maria and whack Rojo.

* Ighalo and Iwobi can do it upfront like Nacho and Iwobi did it in the friendly. It won't be bad also if Kelechi starts ahead of Ighalo for set pieces and the synergy between him and iwobi. I have a selection headache here.

This is my opinion and it's open for constructive criticism

No ONAZI in ur starting line up..very unrealistic, peeps here shld realize DT onazi is d fulcrum of DT midfield whether u like it or not,an onazi will start ahead of any oda midfielder in d team grin

Any formation wout onazi in d line up is just like a line up wout fielding d GK position.Onazi is indispensable in rohrs team

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2017
Yes it's good to be underated when going to a big tournament. FIFA already did their worst by grouping us in pot 4, let crots and Iceland continue until they both receive 2:1 and 3:1 bashing come 2018.

You can see that the Argentines have learnt their lessons and aren't fumbling up and down. They have never convincingly beaten us and with that last friendly, they are more matured of the lot not to underate us.
safarigirl:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:04pm On Dec 04, 2017
forgiveness:

The difference is clear.

Alampasu is not in a better position than Uzoho at the moment

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:06pm On Dec 04, 2017
elyte89:

No ONAZI in ur starting line up..very unrealistic, peeps here shld realize DT onazi is d fulcrum of DT midfield whether u like it or not,an onazi will start ahead of any oda midfielder in d team grin

Any formation wout onazi in d line up is just like a line up wout fielding d GK position.Onazi is indispensable in rohrs team

Dat omission of Onazi wasn't premeditated. I thought his name was there. It's been modified.

Lol bro Onazi ain't indispensable. Hope u understand what that word means? The only indispensable player we have now is Mikel Obi, it's even debatable

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:19pm On Dec 04, 2017
ChrisKels:

Dat omission of Onazi wasn't premeditated. I thought his name was there. It's been modified.

Lol bro Onazi ain't indispensable? Hope u understand what that word means. The only indispensable player we have now is Mikel Obi, it's even debatable

Onazi,ekong,balogun,Mikel,Moses,Ndidi and to some extent IWOBI/SIMON...re INDISPENSABLE in rohrs team barring loss of form/bad injury to dem,dey re sure starters anytime any day irrespective of d formation grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:33pm On Dec 04, 2017
Ajagun has scored 3 goals and assisted once the 7 times he played in the AMF role. I think he deserves a look.

Nigerian Team Of The Week Honors For GK Okoye, Moses', Henrys, Uduokhai

Published: December 04, 2017

Nigerian Team Of The Week Honors For GK Okoye, Moses', Henrys, Uduokhai
The past week saw a number of Nigerians particularly impress for their various clubsides in Europe: the likes of Bartholomew Ogbeche, Chikeluba Ofoedu and Sylvester Igboun notching braces to power their teams to victory.

Emmanuel Dennis Bonaventure, James Igbekeme and Magnus Okuonghae all got on the score-sheet respectively.

But who were the very star performers from the past weekend? Allnigeriasoccer.com brings readers the best of them all thus..

Maduka Okoye (Fortuna Düsseldorf): The 18-year old goaltender was between the sticks for his side in their 1-1 draw with Roth-Weir Oberhausen in the German Bundesliga youth league. It was his 12th appearance for his side this season.

Abdullahi Shehu (Anorthosis Famagusta): The Super Eagles defender helped his club to a hard-fought 1-0 win against Nea Salamina in a Cyproit First Division encounter, tallying his 12th start for the Blue and Whites in the process while putting in a full shift to garner the maximum points which propelled them to the summit of the league table.

Felix Uduokhai (Wolfsburg): Wolfsburg brushed aside Bundesliga opponents, Borrussia Monchengladbach 3-0, with Uduokhai part of the Die Wollf backline that resolutely held on for a total shut out. The win was their third of the season which keeps them in 11th.

Uche Henry Agbo (Standard Liege): Agbo made his 19th appearance of the season in all competitions for The Reds as they played out a 1-1 draw with Antwerp in the Belgian first division.

Chidozie Awaziem (Nantes): Awaziem and his Nantes side bounced back to draw 1-1 with Saint-Etienne after initially falling behind in the Ligue 1 clash.

The Super Eagles defender who had been a mainstay in defense for the French club was in action for the entire duration of the game while picking up a booking in the 72nd minute for his troubles.

Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester): The Leicester City midfielder was influential as the Foxes picked up their fifth win of the season in a 1-0 triumph over Burnley in the English Premier League.

The 20-year old has featured in all their domestic engagements from the start as the Leicestershire side continued their Claude Puel regime revival.

Abdul Ajagun (Kortrijk): The attacking midfielder opened the scoring in a 4-1 victory over Waasland-Beveren in the Belgian First Division A.

The 24-year old was equally on hand to set up his side's third of the game while logging the full ninety minutes. The goal was his third this season while he has two assists to his name to go with.

Sylvester Igboun (FC Ufa): Igboun put in an individual masterclass to down Amkar Perm 3-0 in the Russian Premier League, notching a brace for himself while chipping in with a further assist for his side's third.

Victor Moses (Chelsea): The Chelsea wing back assisted his side's second goal in a 3-1 win over Newcastle in the Premier League, marking his first start since October 14.

He was extremely crucial in ensuring the victory as he equally earned the penalty which led to the Blues third.

Moses Simon (KAA Gent): Simon struck the decisive goal of the game in a 1-0 win over Zulte-Waregem in a Belgian First Division match.

The goal was his fifth of the season after 15 appearances for the Buffaloes while he was also in action for the full duration of the win.

Henry Onyekuru (Anderlecht): The Super Eagles attacker thumped home the match-winner in a 2-1 defeat of Lokeren to hand his side maximum points and their 10th league win of the season in the Belgian top division.

Emmanuel Chinaza

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=25691

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:35pm On Dec 04, 2017
tbaba1234:

Alampasu is not in a better position than Uzoho at the moment

Why? Pls, don't give irrelevant reasons ladding with emotions and sentiments hence facts will be appreciated. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2275) (2276) (2277) (2278) (2279) (2280) (2281) ... (16440) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Abusule007 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.