Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,389 members, 7,964,595 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 04:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2487) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12521617 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2484) (2485) (2486) (2487) (2488) (2489) (2490) ... (16732) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:29am On Dec 31, 2017
Mujtahida:
Komekn my point is simple: it seems to me you have made criticising Iheanacho and Osimhen your hobby. You never let pass you any opportunity to criticize them. It's so consistent that I no longer see it as criticism but as putdowns.
I know other monikers too who criticize Iheanacho but not always. I too have criticised him. But with you it seem like an hobby.

Once again prejudice and negative perception get the better of you.

Firstly, I have never criticised Osimhen as a player. What I have criticised continously is the system that picked him. They are two distinct and completely seperate things. The reliance on the esteemed NFF faceless scouting crew. The use of subjective judgement based on personal preference by Rohr on this occasion. Selection should be recognition of outstanding performance in your club in the first instance.

KC is the poster boy the Ronaldo of Nigeria so much potential even greater expectation and even unlimited hype. He is the talking point when the question of SE strikers arise. That's not negative bias or prejudice. can you talk about Sweden, Portugal, Argentina, England without talking about Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, Messi and Kane.

That's the position of KC if you have not noticed that please do. However, for reasons known to yourself alone you assume the most negative of deductions where I am concerned.

Your response is somewhat contradictory because you say I speak critical truth and then you say I am biased and filled with hatred.

Igwe u deh confuse me Oh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:38am On Dec 31, 2017
forgiveness:

No. Name ...

1. Rufia - Eredivise

2. Austin Eguavoen - Kortrijk was in the top 5 leagues in Europe. It is just like playing in France.

Verdict: laudable. Augustine in top 5 league vs Shehu in back water league, or vs Tyrone in Eredivise which in the top 10 league. Do you want compared french league(Belgian league) with Eredivise of today? N.O NO. The gulf in class is too much.
My dear forumites I pray you all to read this expose I want to do: Well, forgiveness you just put out the fact that Eguavoen was playing in Belgium. That's deceptive and you know it. Let's take a deeper look at the condition of Fc kortrijk from 1990-1994 that Eguavoen was there: 1990/91 season they were fourth from the bottom of 18 teams in division one. 91/92 season they were 17 on the 18 team table and were relegated. 93/94 season they were still in relegation. He played two seasons in division one in a low ranking team and another two seasons in relegation. But through your romance filled eyes this is still better for you than famagusta that is topping the league in Cyprus and Ebuehi who is just two seasons in the Eredivise.

3. Ben Iroha - Viteses played in the UEFA cup quarter finals for the second time in three seasons in 92/93 and Ben was part it. Don't forget he left Asec Mimosa before he went there.

Verdict. Played for a top 4 club in Eredivise. If not how did they qualify for UEFA cup?

Ben's Viteses vs Bryan Idowu's Amkar Perm vs Echiejile's Sivapoor. The difference is clear.
When I saw Iroha's wretched club stats I just shook my head at your deception or ignorance. Here are the facts people: Iroha was at Vitesse from 1992-1996.he played just 21 times for a period of 4 years. Verdict: correct benchwarmer. Meanwhile he had been playing professional football for seven years before this time. Yet he is one of our best LB till date. This shows that what matters most for us is what a player does in the Gwg

4. Sunday Oliseh - RC Liege was in the top 3 or 4 in Belgium as at that time and won the Belgium cup in 1990 ahead of Anderlech with Victor Ikpeba. They were in the top 5 leagues in Europe and among the top clubs in Europe.

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup:
- quarter-finalists in 1991

UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League:

- semi-finalists in 1964
- quarter-finalists in 1990

Verdict; Sunday Oliseh' RC Liege vs Ndidi' Leicester city, vs Mikel Ogu' Sheeber. Draw
Oliseh was at RFC liege from 1990-1994, he played 75 matches and scored three goals. Now divide the number of weeks in the four years with 75.that would give you an indication of his regularity(in fact he was first playing for their u -19 side). As for his goals just 3. Yet you are comparing him with Ndidi who played for two years at Genk with 64 appearances and four goals and is barely a year at Leicester with 33 appearances and two goals (all Oliseh's facts are settled but Ndidi's are still unfolding but one can see who already has better stats. He didn't feature in those UEFA matches for RFC Liege.

5. Uche Okechukwu - Fernerbahce was fluctuating btw the first and 2nd in the Turkish league.

Verdict. Uche situation was better than Ekong but the Germany league were Balogun plays is better.
Uche played for 9 years for Fernerbahce with 191 appearances and 19 goals. Quite solid.

6. Chidi Nwanu - Anderlecht. Chidi Nwanu was even the second best in African in the Belgian league in 1993.

Verdict. No contest
1993-1995 at Anderlecht 14 matches no goals
From his Wikipedia page: After three seasons he was bought by giants R.S.C. Anderlecht, who won the league twice during his stay. Nwanu played very few matches; he retired after an unsuccessful spell in RKC Waalwijk..
Truly no verdict.

7. Finidi George- Ajax

Verdict. Finidi of Ajax vs Victor moses of Chelsea. Even
I wanted to run away from this our first champions league winner Finidi but I still checked:1993-96, 85 appearances 18 goals for Ajax. VicMo has been more of a journeyman. Hard to put his stats together for club. In any case he doesn't play offensively for Chelsea. But when I checked their stats for the Super Eagles I was shocked: Finidi played for the Eagles from 91-2002(11 years) played 62 times and scored 6 times. VicMo has 28 appearances with 10 goals from 2012 till date. I just weak

8. Daniel Amokachi - Club Brugge is the second most successful club in Belgium. The first and only Belgian club to reach the Finals of European cup. Prior to the time Amokachi went there in 1990 they had reached the semi finals of UEFA cup in 1988, won the league in 1988 &1990, won the Belgian cup in 1986 and won the Super cup in 1986, 1988, & 1990 before Amokachi helped them to win the league in 1992, the Belgian cup in 1991, the Super cup in 1991, 1992 and 1994 and finaly helped them to reach the semi finals of the cup winners cup in 1992 after his club had dumped out Athletico Madrid in the quarter finals. He even scored a goal the winning goal against Werden Bremen in the First leg of the semi finals. His performance didn't go unnoticed in 1992, 1993 and 1994 which won him 2 Ebony awards, Bronze Ebony award, Best foreign player in the Pro league award and the Bronze APOTY award.

Verdict: He played in the best club in Belgium Pro league and in the top 10 clubs in Europe. The pedigree of the club and individual laurels he won didn't portray him as average.

Amokachi vs Ighalo, vs Iheanacho vs Nwakaeme. TKO
Amokachi is an outstanding average player better than Ighalo and Nwakaeme. Seriously and I love him

9. Rashidi Yekini- There is no sense in trying to prove that he was a superstar in both Africa and Europe because doing that will be a mockery to African and European football. He was the best and second best player in Africa for two straight years going in the world. The best player of 1994 AFCON and 3rd best in 1990. The highest goal scorer in two AFCON already in 1994. The top goal scorer in Nigeria, Ivory Coast and highest goal scorer in the 4th best league in Europe in 1994. These were his individual laurels before going to the WC.

Verdict; no contest else TKO to Ighalo, Iheanacho and Nwakaeme.
We all love Rashidi. He is great. But by your standard and that of komekn, Rashidi who played just one season of first division football in Portugal will not smell Super Eagles team. Your adulation of him smacks of hypocrisy. It is we who insist that clubs should not be used to screen out good players whose adulation of him is authentic. You opposed Nwakali just because of his club. You would have jettisoned Rashidi for Ekoku since Ekoku was in a more fancy club.

10. Samson Siasia. He moved from the 5th best league to the 2nd best league in Europe. Nantes was the third best club in France as at the time he went there and became the champions of Ligue 1 the next season. They even reached the semi finals of the UEFA Champions league in 1995. The point is Nantes was a potential candidate to win the league at that time because they already won their 6th league title in 1983, runner up in 85 & 86 and within the top 5 in 1992 & 1993.

Verdict; A proven goal scorer in the Belgium league moved to the second best league in Europe full of best footballers in Europe.
Samson vs Iheanacho. Fatality
Let us look at Siasia you have used to bullet Iheanacho. Siasia was at Lokeren for six years from 1987-1993. Played 151 times and scored 31 times. Now let's look at him at Nantes. He was there from 1993-1995. He played 44 times and scored 4 goals. Iheanacho played 46 times at City and scored 12 goals. So who has better stats? Moreover note that Siasia had been playing professional football for ten years as at the time of his stint with Nantes while Iheanacho is just two years in the game
In the gwg Siasia played from 1984-1999 that is 13 years, appeared 51 times with 16 goals. Iheanacho has played from 2015 for the Gwg 13 times with 8 goals and he has not done even half of Siasia's time in the team.
Verdict: out of respect for Siasia let me keep quiet.

[b]11. Emmanuel Amuneke. The best African player going to the world cup. Zamake was the best club in Africa.

Verdict, no contest else fatality on Simon, Iwobi, Etebor and Ahmed

Keep trying.
I checked Amunike's stats and that of Musa. Amunike's stats is just a bit better. Amunike won APOTY at zamalek playing 71 times and scoring 26 goals from 91-94. Musa did not win APOTY yet look at his stats for CSKA Moscow:2012–16 125 appearances, 42 goals. This should tell us how low the level of football in Africa was as at 1993.

Bottom line is that the 94 set were not better both for club and country more than this set as such(yes they won an Afcon but remember 2013 we won Afcon) . We have not even talked about those in the 94 set who were not in the first 11 ooo. But in the end such comparisons are deceptive because one set is done and dusted. Another is still unfolding.

However we can all see that it's through the soft eyes of a blind lover that forgiveness and komekn looks at the 94 set. The reality shows a completely different picture when compared to this current set. What I think is that football has improved so much from that time(personally I still prefer the 90's football but then I recognise that football has improved) and that is why the 94 set looks so glorious (plus they won Afcon) and this set looks ordinary in the eyes of some.

Cc
For record sakes let me tag you guys.
Goodjoe, icon4s, Safarigirl, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, tbaba1234, joseph1013, AIG07

16 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:04am On Dec 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

My dear forumites I pray you all to read this expose I want to do. Well, forgiveness you just put out the fact Eguavoen was playing in Belgium. Let's look at the condition of Fc kortrijk from 1990-1994 that Eguavoen was there: 1990/91 season they were fourth from the bottom of 18 team. 91/92 season they were 17 on the 18 team table and were relegated. 93/94 season they were still in relegation. He played two seasons in division one in a low ranking team and another two seasons in relegation. This is still better for you than famagusta that is topping the league in Cyprus and Ebuehi who is just two seasons in the Eredivise.

When I saw Iroha's wretched stats I just shook my head at your deception. Here are the facts people: Iroha was at Vitesse from 1992-1996.he played just 21 times for a period of 4 years. Verdict: correct benchwarmer. Meanwhile he had been playing professional football for seven years before this time.

Oliseh was at standard liege from 1990-1994, he played 75 matches and scored three goals. Now divide the number of weeks in the four years with 75.that would give you an indication of his regularity. As for his goals just 3. Yet you are comparing him with Ndidi who played for two years at Genk with 64 appearances and four goals and is barely a year at Leicester with 33 appearances and two goals (all Oliseh's facts are settled but Ndidi's are still unfolding but one can see who already has better stats. It's possible Oliseh did not play in those UEFA matches sef

Uche played for 9 years for Fernerbahce with 191 appearances and 19 goals. Quite solid.

From his Wikipedia page: After three seasons he was bought by giants R.S.C. Anderlecht, who won the league twice during his stay. Nwanu played very few matches; he retired after an unsuccessful spell in RKC Waalwijk..
Truly no verdict.

7. Finidi George- Ajax

I wanted to run away from this our first champions league winner Finidi but I still checked:1993-96, 85 appearances 18 goals. VicMo has been more of a journeyman. Hard to put his stats together. In any case he doesn't play offensively for Chelsea. But when I checked their stats for the Super Eagles I was shocked: Finidi played for the Eagles from 91-2002(11 years) played 62 times and scored 6 times. VicMo has 28 appearances with 10 goals. I just weak

8. Daniel Amokachi - Club Brugge is the second most successful club in Belgium. The first and only Belgian club to reach the Finals of European cup. Prior to the time Amokachi went there in 1990 they had reached the semi finals of UEFA cup in 1988, won the league in 1988 &1990, won the Belgian cup in 1986 and won the Super cup in 1986, 1988, & 1990 before Amokachi helped them to win the league in 1992, the Belgian cup in 1991, the Super cup in 1991, 1992 and 1994 and finaly helped them to reach the semi finals of the cup winners cup in 1992 after his club had dumped out Athletico Madrid in the quarter finals. He even scored a goal the winning goal against Werden Bremen in the First leg of the semi finals. His performance didn't go unnoticed in 1992, 1993 and 1994 which won him 2 Ebony awards, Bronze Ebony award, Best foreign player in the Pro league award and the Bronze APOTY award.

Verdict: He played in the best club in Belgium Pro league and in the top 10 clubs in Europe. The pedigree of the club and individual laurels he won didn't portray him as average.

Amokachi is an outstanding average player. Seriously.

9. Rashidi Yekini- There is no sense in trying to prove that he was a superstar in both Africa and Europe because doing that will be a mockery to African and European football. He was the best and second best player in Africa for two straight years going in the world. The best player of 1994 AFCON and 3rd best in 1990. The highest goal scorer in two AFCON already in 1994. The top goal scorer in Nigeria, Ivory Coast and highest goal scorer in the 4th best league in Europe in 1994. These were his individual laurels before going to the WC.

We all love Rashidi. He is great. But by your standard and that of komekn, Rashidi who played just one season of first division football in Portugal will not smell Super Eagles team. Your adulation of him smacks of hypocrisy. It is we who insist that clubs should not be used to screen out good players whose adulation of him is authentic. You opposed Nwakali just because of his club. You would have jettisoned Rashidi for Ekoku since Ekoku was in a more fancy club.

10. Samson Siasia. He moved from the 5th best league to the 2nd best league in Europe. Nantes was the third best club in France as at the time he went there and became the champions of Ligue 1 the next season. They even reached the semi finals of the UEFA Champions league in 1995. The point is Nantes was a potential candidate to win the league at that time because they already won their 6th league title in 1983, runner up in 85 & 86 and within the top 5 in 1992 & 1993.

Verdict; A proven goal scorer in the Belgium league moved to the second best league in Europe full of best footballers in Europe.
Let us look at Siasia you have used to bullet Iheanacho. Siasia was at Lokeren for six years from 1987-1993. Played 151 times and scored 31 times. Now let's look at him at Nantes. He was there from 1993-1995. He played 44 times and scored 4 goals. Iheanacho played 46 times at City and scored 12 goals. So who has better stats? Moreover note that Siasia had been playing professional football for ten years as at the time of his stint with Nantes while Iheanacho is just four years in the game
In the gwg Siasia played from 1984-1999 that is 13 years, appeared 51 times with 16 goals. Iheanacho has played from 2015 for the Gwg 13 times with 8 goals and he has not done even half of Siasia's time in the team.

[b]11. Emmanuel Amuneke. The best African player going to the world cup. Zamake was the best club in Africa.

Keep trying.

I checked Amunike's stats and that of Musa. Amunike's stats is just a bit better. Amunike won APOTY at zamalek playing 71 times and scoring 26 goals from 91-94. Musa did not win APOTY yet look at his stats for CSKA Moscow:2012–16 125 appearances, 42 goals. This should tell us how low the level of football in Africa was as at 1993.

Bottom line is that the 94 set were not better both for club and country more than this set as such. We have not even talked about those in the 94 set who were not in the first 11 ooo. But in the end such comparisons are deceptive because one set is done and dusted. Another is still unfolding.

However we can all see that it's through the soft eyes of a blind lover that forgiveness and komekn looks at the 94 set. The reality shows a completely different picture when compared to this current set. What I think is that football has improved so much from that time(personally I still prefer the 90's football but then I recognise that football has improved) and that is why the 94 set looks so glorious (plus they won Afcon) and this set looks ordinary in the eyes of some.

Cc
Goodjoe, icon4s, Safarigirl, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, tbaba1234

Since, your source is from Wikipedia, all you wrote up there are junks like you wrote the other day. But had to correct by showing you facts from the authorized source. Sorry.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:11am On Dec 31, 2017
forgiveness:

Since, your source is from Wikipedia, all you wrote up there are junks like you wrote the other day. But had to correct by showing you facts from the authorized source. Sorry.
No. Sorry to you.
I cross checked every fact on Wikipedia with transfer market.com and they tallied. Infact transfer market.com was even more detailed. Point out what is false and Counter it with superior facts. Don't just say it's junk.

Since you are determined to win the argument then I say You have won the argument. BUT those are the facts I have found out and brought here for public consumption.

14 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:29am On Dec 31, 2017
komekn:

Once again prejudice and negative perception get the better of you.

Firstly, I have never criticised Osimhen as a player. What I have criticised continously is the system that picked him. They are two distinct and completely seperate things. The reliance on the esteemed NFF faceless scouting crew. The use of subjective judgement based on personal preference by Rohr on this occasion. Selection should be recognition of outstanding performance in your club in the first instance.

KC is the poster boy the Ronaldo of Nigeria so much potential even greater expectation and even unlimited hype. He is the talking point when the question of SE strikers arise. That's not negative bias or prejudice. can you talk about Sweden, Portugal, Argentina, England without talking about Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, Messi and Kane.

That's the position of KC if you have not noticed that please do. However, for reasons known to yourself alone you assume the most negative of deductions where I am concerned.

Your response is somewhat contradictory because you say I speak critical truth and then you say I am biased and filled with hatred.

Igwe u deh confuse me Oh.

If you understand propaganda you wouldn't have written your last paragraph because truth can be used as destructively as a lie to portray bias and prejudice. The truth only serves the cause of truth when it portrays a balanced and comprehensive picture. Truth is neutral. It can be used for good or evil like electricity, like fire, like water. It depends on what the user wants to do with the truth. Ever heard about the danger of a single story? If I use the truth to only point out a man's fault to him and I do it so relentlessly eventually I might just destroy that man's self image. That's why the Bible says truth should be spoken in love.
Balance- that's all I am asking of you and also temper your criticisms on those players. I didn't say don't criticize. I am just saying do am small small. Those boys are human beings like you and me

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:02am On Dec 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

My dear forumites I pray you all to read this expose I want to do. Well, forgiveness you just put out the fact Eguavoen was playing in Belgium. Let's look at the condition of Fc kortrijk from 1990-1994 that Eguavoen was there: 1990/91 season they were fourth from the bottom of 18 team. 91/92 season they were 17 on the 18 team table and were relegated. 93/94 season they were still in relegation. He played two seasons in division one in a low ranking team and another two seasons in relegation. This is still better for you than famagusta that is topping the league in Cyprus and Ebuehi who is just two seasons in the Eredivise.

When I saw Iroha's wretched stats I just shook my head at your deception. Here are the facts people: Iroha was at Vitesse from 1992-1996.he played just 21 times for a period of 4 years. Verdict: correct benchwarmer. Meanwhile he had been playing professional football for seven years before this time.

Oliseh was at standard liege from 1990-1994, he played 75 matches and scored three goals. Now divide the number of weeks in the four years with 75.that would give you an indication of his regularity. As for his goals just 3. Yet you are comparing him with Ndidi who played for two years at Genk with 64 appearances and four goals and is barely a year at Leicester with 33 appearances and two goals (all Oliseh's facts are settled but Ndidi's are still unfolding but one can see who already has better stats. It's possible Oliseh did not play in those UEFA matches sef

Truly no verdict.

7. Finidi George- Ajax

I wanted to run away from this our first champions league winner Finidi but I still checked:1993-96, 85 appearances 18 goals. VicMo has been more of a journeyman. Hard to put his stats together. In any case he doesn't play offensively for Chelsea. But when I checked their stats for the Super Eagles I was shocked: Finidi played for the Eagles from 91-2002(11 years) played 62 times and scored 6 times. VicMo has 28 appearances with 10 goals. I just weak

Amokachi is an outstanding average player. Seriously.

Let us look at Siasia you have used to bullet Iheanacho. Siasia was at Lokeren for six years from 1987-1993. Played 151 times and scored 31 times. Now let's look at him at Nantes. He was there from 1993-1995. He played 44 times and scored 4 goals. Iheanacho played 46 times at City and scored 12 goals. So who has better stats? Moreover note that Siasia had been playing professional football for ten years as at the time of his stint with Nantes while Iheanacho is just four years in the game

Keep trying.

Bottom line is that the 94 set were not better both for club and country more than this set as such. We have not even talked about those in the 94 set who were not in the first 11 ooo. But in the end such comparisons are deceptive because one set is done and dusted. Another is still unfolding.

Cc
Goodjoe, icon4s, Safarigirl, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, tbaba1234
My man you are still on this matter.Well let me add this cos you want to hear my view.

Honestly i don't want to talk on it again,everyone to his opinion and we must respect it but if simple discussion is leading to a stage as if we want to win WC i put stop to it and move on but due to respect i have for you let me chip in some words.

Pls i need to make some clarifications here and it will take a very intelligent and unbiased minds to understand my very simple point related to 94 set and present team.

I don't compare the two teams cos it's not yet time even i still rate Keshi 2013/14 team ahead of this present team based on their achievement but that does not mean i should ridicule Rohr team,they are just evolving so need for comparison.

On US 94 have made my comments and i still stand by it that the team was full of average players but as a team they look solid which we all saw at Afcon and US 94.

I don't think there is need for me to go to archives and be digging things out cos i followed the team passionately during Westerhoff era(89-94)it all started in Yaoundé against Cameroon and ended with Italy in US 94.

I folliwed the development of the players,how they are faring in their club sides especially Peter Rufai since Afcon 1984,Samson Siasia which i rate highly since 1985 U 20 WC in Moscow,Stephen Keshi who i followed since Libya 82,Rashidi Yekini since shooting star days,Austin Okocha since Mauritius 93,Mutiu Adepoju since Saudi 89 qualifiers played in Adamasigha stadium, Amokachie at Ranchers Bees due to my love for their Argentine coach Dominiques,i followed Amuneke since cairo 91 and i had great relationship with Mutiu Adepoju,Jayjay Okocha,Tijani Babangida through a friend,i remember telling icon4s that Tijani was taken to US 94 as a standby player even Ikpeba was nearly dropped for him.To cap it all i handled Clemens Westerhoff utilities and we do talk if he get the chance before he left Nigeria.

I'm saying this for you to know that i should be biased but i will not cos we need to put the record straight and not to run the present team down cos some certain players are not in the team.I should be here shouting Dele Aiyenugba up and down due to our close relationship,i was involved in his first professional contract as a player with Kwara star before moving to Enyimba and he still see me as a senior.Taiwo Awoniyi is like a son,Obafemi Martins a great pal to me through my junior cousin whom they shared the same agent in person of Churchill Olishe but have never come here to solicit for their inclusion in the team.

I don't think there is need to patch things up to express my opinions.It's my opinion based on what I know not based on oral history or secondary source.

Pls check this out

1.Peter Rufai. was a bench warmer with Go Ahead Eagles and later released before WC

2.Ben Iroha made just 21 appearance between 92-96 for Vitesse Arhemm

3.Austin Eguavoen couldn't tie a regular shirt with Kortrijk prior to WC and was released after WC.

4.Chidi Nwanu truly second African best in in 92/93 season with SK Beveren but got mid season transfered to Anderlecht and played just 9 games for Anderlecht prior to WC.later made additional 5 games and was released too

5.Samson Siasia was warming the bench throughout his stay at Nantes sitting down for Chad boy Japhet Ndoram and Patrice Loko.

6.Mike Emenalo was a non league player just like Sunday Sunday game prior to WC

7.Emeka Ezeugo a India based player who later joined Lyngy in Denmark

8.Uche Okafor who joined Hannover 96 in division two but always on the bench

9.Thompson Oliha playing for African Sports after moving from Asec memossa.

10.Efan Ekoku solid at Norwich but a misfit in Eagles.

11.Victor Ikpeba not regular with Monaco 93/94

12.Austin Okocha in and out of Frankfurt
Germany
13.Alloy Agu second choice in his Turkish club

14.Stephen Keshi already passed his prime at molenbeek.

15.Wilfred Agbonavbare good in his club Rayo Vallecano but second choice in the ational team.

I need to leave out Rashidi Yekini who was then reigning APOTY and solid with Vitoria Setubal,Sunday Olishe great form before WC,Mutiu Adepoju regular with Santander,Finidi George great with Ajax,Dan Amokachie superb with FC Brugge,Uche Okechucwu regular with Fernabache nd Emma Amuneke solid with Zamalek,meaning we have just solid 7 regular players in US 94 squad leaving out Oliha,Ekoku cos they don't look solid in eagles.

Pls rate this players for God sake based on their performance in 93/94 a season before US 94 World Cup.Honestly it was cos of this i appreciate their performance at US 94 so why not give Rohr team a chance and let see what they can do instead of unnecessary comparison.

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 3:35am On Dec 31, 2017
If you were to select an African all-star 11 for a World Cup match next year, which players would you pick?
Note: You can only pick players from the 5 African nations that qualified for the World Cup.

I’d go with the following:

——————-El Hadary—————-

—-Shehu—-Ekong—-Balogun—-Idowu—

—————-Ndidi—-Onazi————

———————-Mikel—————-

—-Salah——-Sane——-Victor Moses——
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 3:48am On Dec 31, 2017
[quote author=tglobal post=63757860]

Forgiveness, Wikipedia actually gives these guys more credit than they performed. This I can tell you for a fact
1. Rufai was clubless in USA 94 (GA Eagles fired him during AFCON)
2. Iroha was a bench warmer at Vitesse (Having said that I still think he was the best left back we ever had further buttressing the point that club pedigree is not the ultimate determinant of quality)
3. Siasia had it tough in Nantes as there was a certain Japhet N'doram from Chad who kept him on the bench

The only exception will be Chidi Nwanu who at some point was the best Libero in Belgium

Modified:

If we are to rate these players solely by their club performances and appearances prior to the tournaments as YOU ARE PRONE TO SUGGEST, then we will arrive at the following ridiculous conclusion:

1. Akpeyi >> Rufai (Afterall, Rufai was clubless!)
2. Shehu, Aina, Idowu, Ebuehi >> Iroha and Eguavoen (The current fullbacks enjoy a lot of game time)
3. Onyekuru ahead of Amunike etc.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:12am On Dec 31, 2017
I think what many Nigerians fail to realize is the exploit of SE in the mid 90s was a culmination of continuous team building for about 5 years of Clemence Westerhof's reign as SE coach. It wasn't surprising that the 94 team was cohesive and were rampaging (if memory serves me right).
The team was not full of stars.

There is no basis for comparison with the current SE. Gernot Rohr has only been with the team for about a couple years now. This team is young, and has the potential to exceed whatever the 94 set achieved in another 3 years time.

Mujtahida:

My dear forumites I pray you all to read this expose I want to do: Well, forgiveness you just put out the fact that Eguavoen was playing in Belgium. That's deceptive and you know it. Let's take a deeper look at the condition of Fc kortrijk from 1990-1994 that Eguavoen was there: 1990/91 season they were fourth from the bottom of 18 teams in division one. 91/92 season they were 17 on the 18 team table and were relegated. 93/94 season they were still in relegation. He played two seasons in division one in a low ranking team and another two seasons in relegation. But through your romance filled eyes this is still better for you than famagusta that is topping the league in Cyprus and Ebuehi who is just two seasons in the Eredivise.

When I saw Iroha's wretched stats I just shook my head at your deception or ignorance. Here are the facts people: Iroha was at Vitesse from 1992-1996.he played just 21 times for a period of 4 years. Verdict: correct benchwarmer. Meanwhile he had been playing professional football for seven years before this time.

Oliseh was at RFC liege from 1990-1994, he played 75 matches and scored three goals. Now divide the number of weeks in the four years with 75.that would give you an indication of his regularity(in fact he was first playing for their u -19 side). As for his goals just 3. Yet you are comparing him with Ndidi who played for two years at Genk with 64 appearances and four goals and is barely a year at Leicester with 33 appearances and two goals (all Oliseh's facts are settled but Ndidi's are still unfolding but one can see who already has better stats. He didn't feature in those UEFA matches for RFC Liege.

Truly no verdict.

I wanted to run away from this our first champions league winner Finidi but I still checked:1993-96, 85 appearances 18 goals. VicMo has been more of a journeyman. Hard to put his stats together for club. In any case he doesn't play offensively for Chelsea. But when I checked their stats for the Super Eagles I was shocked: Finidi played for the Eagles from 91-2002(11 years) played 62 times and scored 6 times. VicMo has 28 appearances with 10 goals. I just weak

Amokachi is an outstanding average player better than Ighalo and Nwakaeme. Seriously and I love him

Bottom line is that the 94 set were not better both for club and country more than this set as such(yes they won an Afcon but remember 2013 we won Afcon) . We have not even talked about those in the 94 set who were not in the first 11 ooo. But in the end such comparisons are deceptive because one set is done and dusted. Another is still unfolding.

Cc

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:29am On Dec 31, 2017
PDPGuy:
If you were to select an African all-star 11 for a World Cup match next year, which players would you pick?
Note: You can only pick players from the 5 African nations that qualified for the World Cup.

——————-El Hadary—————-

—————-Ndidi—-Onazi————

———————-Mikel—————-

Koulibaly over one of Ekong and Balogun. Idrissa Gueye over Onazi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:19am On Dec 31, 2017
Kog45:
My man you are still on this matter.Well let me add this cos you want to hear my view.

Honestly i don't want to talk on it again,everyone to his opinion and we must respect it but if simple discussion is leading to a stage as if we want to win WC i put stop to it and move on but due to respect i have for you let me chip in some words.

Pls i need to make some clarifications here and it will take a very intelligent and unbiased minds to understand my very simple point related to 94 set and present team.

I don't compare the two teams cos it's not yet time even i still rate Keshi 2013/14 team ahead of this present team based on their achievement but that does not mean i should ridicule Rohr team,they are just evolving so need for comparison.

On US 94 have made my comments and i still stand by it that the team was full of average players but as a team they look solid which we all saw at Afcon and US 94.

I don't think there is need for me to go to archives and be digging things out cos i followed the team passionately during Westerhoff era(89-94)it all started in Yaoundé against Cameroon and ended with Italy in US 94.

I folliwed the development of the players,how they are faring in their club sides especially Peter Rufai since Afcon 1984,Samson Siasia which i rate highly since 1985 U 20 WC in Moscow,Stephen Keshi who i followed since Libya 82,Rashidi Yekini since shooting star days,Austin Okocha since Mauritius 93,Mutiu Adepoju since Saudi 89 qualifiers played in Adamasigha stadium, Amokachie at Ranchers Bees due to my love for their Argentine coach Dominiques,i followed Amuneke since cairo 91 and i had great relationship with Mutiu Adepoju,Jayjay Okocha,Tijani Babangida through a friend,i remember telling icon4s that Tijani was taken to US 94 as a standby player even Ikpeba was nearly dropped for him.To cap it all i handled Clemens Westerhoff utilities and we do talk if he get the chance before he left Nigeria.

I'm saying this for you to know that i should be biased but i will not cos we need to put the record straight and not run present team down cos some certain players are not in the team.I should be here shouting Dele Aiyenugba up and down cos i was involved in his first professional contract as a player with Kwara star before moving to Enyimba and he still see me as a senior.Taiwo Awoniyi is like a son,Obafemi Martins a great pal to me through my cousin cos they shared the same agent in person of Churchill Olishe but have never come here to solicit for their inclusion in the team.

I don't think there is need to patch things up to express my opinions.It's my opinion based on what I know not based on oral history or secondary source.

Pls check this out

1.Peter Rufai. was a bench warmer with Go Ahead Eagles and later released before WC

2.Ben Iroha made just 21 appearance between 92-96 for Vitesse Arhemm

3.Austin Eguavoen couldn't tie a regular shirt with Kortrijk prior to WC and was released after WC.

4.Chidi Nwanu truly second African best in in 92/93 season with SK Beveren but got mid season transfered to Anderlecht and played just 9 games for Anderlecht prior to WC.later made additional 5 games and was released too

5.Samson Siasia was warming the bench throughout his stay at Nantes sitting down for Chad boy Japhet Ndoram and Patrice Loko.

6.Mike Emenalo was a non league player just like Sunday Sunday game prior to WC

7.Emeka Ezeugo a India based player who later joined Lyngy in Denmark

8.Uche Okafor who joined Hannover 96 in division two but always on the bench

9.Thompson Oliha playing for African Sports after moving from Asec memossa.

10.Efan Ekoku solid at Norwich but a misfit in Eagles.

11.Victor Ikpeba not regular with Monaco 93/94

12.Austin Okocha in and out of Frankfurt

13.Alloy Agu second choice in his Turkish club

14.Stephen Keshi already passed his prime at molenbeek.

15.Wilfred Agbonavbare good in his club Rayo Vallecano but second choice with national team.

I need to leave out Rashidi Yekini who was then reigning APOTY and solid with Vitoria Setubal,Sunday Olishe great form before WC,Mutiu Adepoju regular with Santander,Finidi George great with Ajax,Dan Amokachie superb with FC Brugge,Uche Okechucwu regular with Fernabache nd Emma Amuneke solid with Zamalek,meaning we have just solid 7 regular players in US 94 squad leaving out Oliha,Ekoku cos they don't look solid in eagles.

Pls rate this players for God sake based on their performance in 93/94 a season before US 94 World Cup.Honestly it was cos of this i appreciate their performance at US 94 so why not give Rohr team a chance and let see what they can do instead of unnecessary comparison.

Thank you Sir. I so much love the 94 set and I will always do. There's no basis for comparing the two teams. I am compelled to do this just for things to be seen in proper perspective. This current team should just be given a chance. Finish. No need pining over what we don't have. We don't have a Neymar, Modric, Kane, Griezman, Messi, Ronaldo, Varane, Marcelo. Let's appreciate what we have and hope for the best.

I will drop the matter.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:23am On Dec 31, 2017
PDPGuy:

——————-El Hadary—————-

—————-Ndidi—-Onazi————

———————-Mikel—————-

Please substitute balogun for Kalidou Koulibaly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 7:35am On Dec 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

Thank you Sir. I so much love the 94 set and I will always do. There's no basis for comparing the two teams. I am compelled to do this just for things to be seen in proper perspective. This current team should just be given a chance. Finish. No need pining over what we don't have. We don't have a Neymar, Modric, Kane, Griezman, Messi, Ronaldo, Varane, Marcelo. Let's appreciate what we have and hope for the best.

I will drop the matter.

Bros, please do

It's high time. The thread is even getting banal with these arguments and counter-arguments about which team was better

Our focus should be on the current crop of SE players, how they can improve individually and as a team

To the naysayers, I say this; these guys would lit up their opponents at the world cup

Especially Messi and the coach of Croatia that have been running their mouths in the media

I just have this feeling that Nigeria and Iceland may just clinch the second round ticket from their group

On a side note

1. Ndidi tried a magnificent long range effort in the game against Liverpool and I believe if he continues to work on his scoring in training and take more risks, he may become unstoppable

2. It wouldn't be a bad idea for Moses to start set-piece training. He needs to add that ability to his game. Also, his crossing needs to improve

3. I haven't lost faith in Musa and i think a loan or permanent transfer would do him a world of good. No be bench we want for SE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:06am On Dec 31, 2017
darkelf:

Bros, please do

It's high time. The thread is even getting banal with these arguments and counter-arguments about which team was better

Our focus should be on the current crop of SE players, how they can improve individually and as a team

To the naysayers, I say this; these guys would lit up their opponents at the world cup

Especially Messi and the coach of Croatia that have been running their mouths in the media

I just have this feeling that Nigeria and Iceland may just clinch the second round ticket from their group

On a side note

1. Ndidi tried a magnificent long range effort in the game against Liverpool and I believe if he continues to work on his scoring in training and take more risks, he may become unstoppable

2. It wouldn't be a bad idea for Moses to start set-piece training. He needs to add that ability to his game. Also, his crossing needs to improve

3. I haven't lost faith in Musa and i think a loan or permanent transfer would do him a world of good. No be bench we want for SE

I don drop am jare. Cos I also get tired when others drag a matter so I understand how other posters feel.

As for our world cup, I am very expectant and hopeful. I still keep one small place in my mind for disappointment in case of incasitive(as we say it)

Ndidi has it in him to lash those long rangers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:08am On Dec 31, 2017
Eguavoen: Super Eagles Made Nigerians Happy In 2017, Can Reach World Cup Semis

1 December 30, 2017 9:05 pm

By Bamidele Boluwaji:

Former Super Eagles coach Austin Eguavoen says he feels excited that the team made Nigerians happy in 2017, Completesportsnigeria.com reports
Eguavoen, who led the Super Eagles to the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, told Completesportsnigeria.com that the performance of Gernot Rohr’s team in the outgoing year which saw them qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia was one of the best he has seen in recent times from the national team.

“Everybody happy with the Super Eagles in the outgoing year and I am sure that you journalists are also happy because you all had something good to report about the team,” for Super Eagles captain Eguavoen told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“They played their entire World Cup qualifiers without defeat though there were some games we were not happy about but when you look at the whole thing, you will agree with me that they made Nigerians happy in the year 2017 which you are talking about.

“I am sure that they would have learnt from all their mistakes in the year 2017 and ready to improve on them in the year 2018. The semi-final stage is a possibility for the team at the 2018 World Cup.

“I can only call on Nigerians to give the team more support in the New Year while I urge the players to work harder.”

Nigeria will play Argentina, Iceland and Croatia in the first round of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:14am On Dec 31, 2017
Onyekuru: Time With Family Will Speed Up My Recovery From Knee Injury

2 December 30, 2017 1:38 pm

By Johnny Edward:

Anderlecht forward Henry Onyekuru is confident the time he will spend with his family in Nigeria while on break will help speed up his recovery froma serious injury, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Onyekuru tore his knee ligaments while in action for Anderlecht in their 1-0 Belgian league win against his former club KAS Eupen last weekend.

Afterwards, a statement on the official website of Anderlecht revealed that Onyekuru would undergo surgery and spend several months on the sidelines as a result of the injury.

“Had to come back Home to spend time with the family. Family time speeds up the recovery, God willing I’ll be back better and stronger #Baby Sis,” the Nigerian international tweeted on Saturday with pictures of himself on crutches, receiving a lech from his sister apparently in the family house.

Onyekuru, 20, joined Everton from Eupen at the beginning of the season but was immediately loaned out to Anderlecht where he has scored nine goals in 19 league games and 10 goals in 28 games in all competitions until his injury.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:22am On Dec 31, 2017
HIGHLIGHTS: Five Memorable Moments In Nigerian Sports In 2017

0 December 30, 2017 11:10 pm

With 2017 winding down, Completesportsnigeria.com’s JAMES AGBEREBI digs up some memorable sporting moments for Nigeria in the eventful outgoing year…

SUPER EAGLES QUALIFICATION FOR 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP

After failing to qualify for back-to-back Africa Cup of Nations, the Super Eagles eventually qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

When the draw for the qualifiers was made, there were huge doubts over the possibility of the Eagles picking the sole ticket ahead of established teams like current African champions Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia.
But against all the odds, the Eagles qualified for their sixth World Cup with a game to spare, beating Cameroon 4-0 in Uyo in September and Zambia 1-0 in October to seal the ticket.

HOME-BASED SUPER EAGLES’ QUALIFICATION FOR 2018 CHAN

Prior to the Super Eagles’ qualification for the 2018 World Cup, the home-based Eagles secured their ticket for next year’s Africa Nations Championship (CHAN) in Morocco.

The home-based Eagles were drawn against Benin Republic in the play-off round from the West B zone.
In the first leg played in Cotonou, Benin Republic won 1-0 thanks to an 89th minute penalty by Mama Seibou.

But in the return leg at the Sani Abacha Stadium, Kano, a goal in each half by Rabiu Ali and Kingsley Eduwo, sealed a third CHAN appearance for the home-based Eagles.

ODUNAYO ADEKUOROYE WINS SILVER AT 2017 WORLD WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP
Nigerian wrestler Odunayo Adekuoroye made history as she became the first ever female Nigerian wrestler to win a silver medal at the World Wrestling Championship.
Adekuoroye, 24, achieved the feat at the 2017 World Wrestling Championship in Paris, France in August.

After defeating Iryna Kurachkina from Belarus 10-0 in the semi-finals, Adekuoroye lost to 18-year-old Haruna Okuno from Japan 5-4 in the 55kg final match.
At the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, Adekuoroye won gold for Team Nigeria.

D’TIGRESS EMERGED WINNERS OF THE 2017 FIBA WOMEN’S AFROBASKET
Nigeria women’s basketball team D’Tigress were crowned African champions at the 2017 FIBA Women’s AfroBasket Championship in Bamako, Mali.
The coach Sam Vincent-led side defeated Senegal 65-48 points in the final to claim their third continental title after winning it in 2003 and 2005.

Following their triumph at the 2017 FIBA Women’s AfroBasket Championship, D’Tigress secured one of the two qualifying tickets for the 2018 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup in Spain.

NIGERIA’S HISTORIC QUALIFICATION FOR THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES
Nigeria will make its debut at the Winter Olympics holding in Pyeongchang, South Korea, in February 2018, thanks to trio of Seun Adigun, Ngozi Onwumere and Akuoma Omeoga who qualified for the bobsled event in 2017.

Bobsled, also known as Bobsleigh, is a winter sport in which teams of two or four teammates make timed runs down narrow, twisting, banked, iced tracks in a gravity-powered sled. The timed runs are combined to calculate the final score.

Driver Adigun, brakemen Onwumere and Omeoga qualified for the event over five races held in Utah, Whistler and Calgary in Canada, becoming the first African team, men or women, to qualify in the Bobsled category.

The three Nigerian women team was only formed in 2016. Adigun competed for Team Nigeria in the women’s 100 metre hurdles at the London 2012 summer Olympics.

Onwumere claimed gold alongside Blessing Okagbare, Lawretta Ozoh and Cecilia Francis in the 4 x 100 metres relay at the 2015 All-Africa Games in Brazzaville, Congo. She also represented Nigeria at the 2015 IAAF World Relays in Nassau, Bahamas.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:29am On Dec 31, 2017
Martins Rated Shanghai Shenhua’s 3rd Best Player In 2017

By Johnny Edward:

Nigerian striker, Obafemi Martins, has been rated the third best player of Chinese Super League Club, Shanghai Shenhua, in 2017, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Martins scored seven goals in 13 games in the outgoing season.

Colombian star midfielder, Gio Moreno was Shanghai Shenhua best player in 2017 with his compatriot Fredy Guarin coming second in the ratings, according to the club’s official website.

Moreno was Shanghai Shenhua’s top scorer in the outgoing season with 15 goals from 26 games while Guarin bagged ten goals in 18 appearances.

Martins whose season was blighted with injuries, was the hero for Shanghai Shenhua in their Chinese FA Cup final as they defeated Shanghai SIPG FC on away goals following a 3-3 aggregate draw.

The former Seattle Sounders and Levante striker scored in both legs of the final last month to help his team win their first title for the first time in 20 years.
Shanghai Shenhua finished 11th in the CSL last season.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:33am On Dec 31, 2017
Alhassan Hopes To Get Opportunity To Fight For Inclusion In Super Eagles’ World Cup Squad
0 December 29, 2017 9:42 amAustria Wien

Nigerian midfielder, Ibrahim Alhassan, hopes he will get a chance to vie for a place in Nigeria’s squad to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Alhassan was touted as one of the most gifted midfielders in the Nigeria
Professional Football League prior to his move to Austria Wien, and earned a call up to the Super Eagles in May following his superb showing then for Akwa United.
He has impressed since linking up with Austria Wien scoring one goal in 13 appearances for the Austrian Bundesliga outfit.

“It will be great to be part of the Super Eagles again. The World Cup is coming up next year, and I hope to get the chance to fight for a place in the team,” the former junior international told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“To do that, I must keep doing well at my club which I believe is the only way I can get recognised by the coaches. I know the coaches are monitoring all of us, and I will keep fighting hard to make the team.

“I still remember fondly the time I spent in the team and I hope to be back, most importantly, ahead of the World Cup.”

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:46am On Dec 31, 2017
5 Late Call-Ups Who Can Make Home Eagles’ 23-Man Squad Team in CHAN.

With Super Eagles head coach, Salisu Yusuf, expected to name his final 23-man squad for the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) next week ahead of the team’s departure to a training camp in Morocco, Completesportsnigeria. com’s ADEBOYE AMOSU highlights five new players who has the talent to forced their way into the squad.

TOSIN OMOYELE: Forward (Plateau United)

The young forward impressed for Plateau United during the 2017 Nigeria Professional Football League Invitational tournament in Kano, and was promptly handed an invitation to the Home Eagles afterwards.
Omoyele scored 15 goals for Osun United in the Nigeria National League last season which prompted keen interests from NPFL top sides.
A spot in the CHAN team will be a big achievement for him.

SURAJ AYELESO: Goalkeeper (Nasarawa United)

The Nasarawa United goalkeeper kept the most clean sheets (15) in the Nigeria Professional Football League last term. Theophilus Afelokhai’s unimpressive showing in the Home Eagles final game against MFM FC at the NPFL invitational in Kano where he conceded two goals prompted the coaches to extend invitation to the experienced shot-stopper.
He has added competition to the goalkeeping position, and according to camp sources, is on course to pick one of the three slots reserved for the goalkeepers.

SUNDAY FALEYE: Forward (3SC)

Sunday Faleye shone brilliantly for relegated Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) of Ibadan last term. Nicknamed ‘Cristiano Ronaldo’ by the club faithful, Faleye is now a subject of a transfer tussle between Nigeria Nationwide club Freestan Football Club and the Ibadan outfit.

The forward cum winger scored the winner in the Home Eagles 1-0 victory against Enyimba at the NPFL invitational and was easily the man of the match in the game.
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, he should be among the 23-man squad for the African Nations Championship.

IKOUWEN UDOH: Left-back (Enyimba)

Another player who earned an invitation to the home-based Super Eagles following his impressive showing at the 2018 NPFL invitational tournament in the colours of seven-time NPFL champions Enyimba.
Udoh’s chances of making the team has been boosted by the withdrawal of his former club mate Chima Akas from the team and injury to Nasiru Sani.
He now looks zcertain to be on the plane to Morocco after impressing in the two test games against Water FC and Oyah FC

EMEKA OGBUH: Winger (Rivers United)

The Rivers United winger had a good outing in Kano and was highly praised by Salisu Yusuf for his sterling performances. He look good to be on the plane to Morocco for CHAN 2018.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:12am On Dec 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

When I saw Iroha's wretched club stats I just shook my head at your deception or ignorance. Here are the facts people: Iroha was at Vitesse from 1992-1996.he played just 21 times for a period of 4 years. Verdict: correct benchwarmer. Meanwhile he had been playing professional football for seven years before this time. Yet he is one of our best LB till date. This shows that what matters most for us is what a player does in the Gwg

Truly no verdict.

I wanted to run away from this our first champions league winner Finidi but I still checked:1993-96, 85 appearances 18 goals for Ajax. VicMo has been more of a journeyman. Hard to put his stats together for club. In any case he doesn't play offensively for Chelsea. But when I checked their stats for the Super Eagles I was shocked: Finidi played for the Eagles from 91-2002(11 years) played 62 times and scored 6 times. VicMo has 28 appearances with 10 goals from 2012 till date. I just weak

Let us look at Siasia you have used to bullet Iheanacho. Siasia was at Lokeren for six years from 1987-1993. Played 151 times and scored 31 times. Now let's look at him at Nantes. He was there from 1993-1995. He played 44 times and scored 4 goals. Iheanacho played 46 times at City and scored 12 goals. So who has better stats? Moreover note that Siasia had been playing professional football for ten years as at the time of his stint with Nantes while Iheanacho is just two years in the game

Cc
Goodjoe, icon4s, Safarigirl, Joebie, Kog45, Goldfish80, daveP, kennysville, realpoacher, tbaba1234, joseph1013, AIG07

An excellent write up. With facts and figures.

Some of us here should be considering sports writing as a second career.

Now, as a person that has seen several generations of Eagles, not just what I saw on Wikipedia. And as one that has followed football globally, I have this to say.

A lot has changed in football.

In the late 80s and early 90s which marked the Genesis of the Exodus of our players from Africa to Europe, a lot of African players were underrated!
In fact as at the late 80s Africa's best performance at the WC was Algeria's second round qualification, so why blame the Europeans?

So as an African player going to play in Europe then not much was expected of you. Thank God for Cameroon and their heroics in 1990. But even at that the situation still didn't change much.

At that time also there were restrictions on the number of foreign players to be paraded by clubs on match days in certain countries, England for example. Komekn can confirm this for us. There are still restrictions now but it is more relaxed.

That said, a player like Yekini with the kind of form and national team record he had at that time if it were now would have been playing for may be a top 4 team in England or Spain.

Amuneke was a Zamalek player when he won APOTY. A title that now only goes to players in Top English, German or Spanish clubs.

Statistics alone cannot tell the stories. On statistics Iheanacho looks better than Siasia based on average goals per game, but we knew Samson Siasia's abilities and contributions to the team enroute the 1994 qualifiers.

Go feed your eyes with those videos of our 1994 WC and assess their individual abilities, eg excellent handling of the ball, passing accuracy, ease with which they create chances etc.

Compare Keshi or Nwannu- Okechukwu back wall with that of Ekong-Balogun.

However, Kog45 said something vital pointing that we should wait for this current crop to feature in the 2018 WC before we do any form of comparison.

Yes a good number of our players then didn't have it good in terms of club placement. But as I said, that was the early period of players migration when even playing in Romanian second division makes you a "foreign pro". And a lot of players and agents were OK with that.

Now in terms of achievement, I have always stated that the performance of this team should not be pegged to that of the 90s. A lot has changed in football. This team even though may not have the best of abilities compared to those of the 90s but they still have what it takes to outperform the 90s generation.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:31am On Dec 31, 2017
Icon4s:

An excellent write up. With facts and figures.

Some of us here should be considering sports writing as a second career.

Now, as a person that has seen several generations of Eagles, not just what I saw on Wikipedia. And as one that has followed football globally, I have this to say.

A lot has changed in football.

In the late 80s and early 90s which marked the Genesis of the Exodus of our players from Africa to Europe, a lot of African players were underrated!
In fact as at the late 80s Africa's best performance at the WC was Algeria's second round qualification, so why blame the Europeans?

So as an African player going to play in Europe then not much was expected of you. Thank God for Cameroon and their heroics in 1990. But even at that the situation still didn't change much.

At that time also there were restrictions on the number of foreign players to be paraded by clubs on match days in certain countries, England for example. Komekn can confirm this for us. There are still restrictions now but it is more relaxed.

That said, a player like Yekini with the kind of form and national team record he had at that time if it were now would been playing for may be a top 4 team in England or Spain.

Amuneke was a Zamalek player when he won APOTY. A title that now only goes to players in Top English, German or Spanish clubs.

Statistics alone cannot tell the stories. On statistics Iheanacho looks better than Siasia based on average goals per game, but we knew Samson Siasia's abilities and contributions to the team enroute the 1994 qualifiers.

Go feed your eyes with those videos of our 1994 WC and assess their individual abilities, eg excellent handling of the ball, passing accuracy, ease with which they create chances etc.

Compare Keshi or Nwannu- Okechukwu back wall with that of Ekong-Balogun.

However, Kog45 said something vital pointing that we should wait for this current crop to feature in the 2018 WC before we do any form of comparison.

Yes a good number of our players then didn't have it good in terms of club placement. But as I said, that was the early period of players migration when even playing in Romanian second division makes you a "foreign pro". And a lot of players and agents were OK with that.

Now I terms of achievement, I have always stated that the performance of this team should not be pegged to that of the 90s. A lot has changed in football. This team even though may not have the best of abilities compared to those of the 90s but they still have what it takes to outperform the 90s the generation.

Thank you Sir Icon4s. I have said it over and over again that player for player the 94 set had more quality. I trust you know that I don't do stats (plus my aversion for numbers) but I was forced to do so just to counter the narrative of those who are hell bent on not seeing good in current this team. My whole goal is not to paint the 94 set as lesser than they were. Not at all. They represent the peak of our football whatever their stats for their clubs were. I am just pointing out that this present crop are not so bad club wise as some want to make us believe.

Truly both eras cannot be compared. It would lead to false equivalences and ultimately ridiculousness. I rest it

Happy Sunday and New Year in advance

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:54am On Dec 31, 2017
M7even:

cryreading the pages here, and discovered too many fallacies of false equivalence in our analysis.
LOL. Bro, there is not a single logical fallacy that has not been committed on this thread. The most notorious has to be ad Hominem; persons whose main contributions are personal attacks and refutation by caricature.

So, just enjoy yourself. Call out the specific examples/persons you can call out and make your contributions.

As far as I know, we're making do with the best resources at our disposal for the world cup. And l see us having a minimum of 7 points in that group, not after I read the interview conducted by Rohr and listened to Pinnick on Channels.

I have come to believe that they know all of our concerns intimately and are finding ways of plugging the loopholes. Just this morning, I read that NFF has waded into the controversy concerning Henry's injury to know the real situation so as to plan if he will be available for the world cup. This is a player I have high hopes for and it's reassuring to hear NFF go the length.

The Eagles won't be easy foes. And whoever underestimates this team will be in for a shocker. The games of 2017 serve as evidence.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:55am On Dec 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

Truly no verdict.

Cc

I wish you were a football Journalist. I would have spent a lot of time reading your work. A time I would have counted as well spent.

Nice one.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 11:02am On Dec 31, 2017
PDPGuy:

——————-El Hadary—————-

—————-Ndidi—-Onazi————

———————-Mikel—————-

You are a real PDP guy grin
Benatia for Shehu
Idrissa Gueye for Onazi
Msakni for Mikel
Fathi for Balogun
Ziyech for Sane

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 31, 2017
Mujtahida:

If you understand propaganda you wouldn't have written your last paragraph because truth can be used as destructively as a lie to portray bias and prejudice. The truth only serves the cause of truth when it portrays a balanced and comprehensive picture. Truth is neutral. It can be used for good or evil like electricity, like fire, like water. It depends on what the user wants to do with the truth. Ever heard about the danger of a single story? If I use the truth to only point out a man's fault to him and I do it so relentlessly eventually I might just destroy that man's self image. That's why the Bible says truth should be spoken in love.
Balance- that's all I am asking of you and also temper your criticisms on those players. I didn't say don't criticize. I am just saying do am small small. Those boys are human beings like you and me

What is the meaning of mujtahida?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:06am On Dec 31, 2017
The story is told about a very good Opera singer that had won so many awards and was an established celebrity before she married a gifted musical genius. However this man in his perfectionism was so relentless in pointing out his wife's seemingly musical flaws. Gradually he destroyed the woman's self esteem with the truth and she eventually lost her voice because she had come to believe in her flaws than her abilities since her husband laid so much emphasis on her flaws. With her voice gone, her career went downhill.

They divorced sha. She later met and married an ordinary guy. One day she was just singing. Her husband heard her and praised her voice. He kept on praising her till she found her voice again, she regained her self esteem and her career blossomed again.

Criticism is good(but even at that humans don't naturally like it) but encouragement is better. We see faults in our players, in our team but as we see flaws with one eye let's also see their good sides with another eye, encourage them and hope for the best.

Happy new year in advance to you all on this wonderful thread. May it be the year of the Eagle for us all- like eagles we will fly higher, see farther and be renewed. Our team will cap it for us.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:21am On Dec 31, 2017
Moses Only Nigerian In France Football Team Of The Year, Nominated For CAF Best Right Winger
Published: December 31, 2017
Moses Only Nigerian In France Football Team Of The Year, Nominated For CAF Best Right Winger
Chelsea star Victor Moses has been named to the African Team of the Year for 2017 by celebrated French football magazine France Football.

The right wing-back was the only player of Nigerian descent that made the prestigious list.

The list contains Premier League stars Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mané, (both from Liverpool), but there was no spot for Borussia Dortmund's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who was listed among the five substitutes.

Moses had a banner year in 2017, helping Chelsea win the Premier League title and reach the final of the Emirates FA Cup; he was also Nigeria's most outstanding player on the road to Russia.

The 27-year-old missed out on the Confederation of African Football and BBC Player of the Year but is among the favourites to be named in CAF's Team of the Year at next week's gala ceremony in Accra.

He has been nominated for the best right winger in Africa in 2017 by CAF along with Keita Balde (Monaco, Senegal) and Mohammed Ounnajem (Wydad Athletic Club Casablanca, Morocco).

African Team of the Year (France Football)

Essen El Hadary (Egypt, Al-Taawoun), Nabil Dirar (Morocco, Fenerbahce), Medhi Benatia (Morocco, Juventus), Kalidou Koulibaly (Senegal, Naples), Faouzi Ghoulam (Algeria, Naples), Victor Moses (Nigeria, Chelsea) , Naby Keita (RB Leipzig, Guinea), Jean-Michaël Seri (Ivory Coast, OGC Nice), Mohamed Salah (Egypt, Liverpool), Sadio Mané (Senegal, Liverpool), Vincent Aboubakar (Cameroon, FC Porto).

Substitutes:

Fabrice Ondoa (Cameroon, AC Seville), Ahmed Hegazy (Egypt, WBA), Thomas Partey (Ghana, Atletico Madrid), Hakim Ziyech (Morocco, Ajax Amsterdam), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon, Borussia Dortmund).

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Photo Credit : chelseafc.com

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:22am On Dec 31, 2017
nelszx:

You are a real PDP guy grin
Benatia for Shehu
Idrissa Gueye for Onazi
Msakni for Mikel
Fathi for Balogun
Ziyech for Sane
Benatia is a CB.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:25am On Dec 31, 2017
PDPGuy:

——————-El Hadary—————-

—————-Ndidi—-Onazi————

———————-Mikel—————-

Koulibaly for Ekong
Gueye for Ndidi
Ghoulam for Idowu
Ziyech for Onazi (move Mikel to CM)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:28am On Dec 31, 2017
AllforJesus7:

What is the meaning of mujtahida?
It's actually mujtahid which means scholar of Islamic law. My colleagues during my University days funkified into mujtahida it cos I was good in Islamic law courses as electives then purely on academics not as per religious affiliation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by korlahwarleh: 11:39am On Dec 31, 2017
edi287:

Koulibaly for Ekong
Gueye for Ndidi
Ghoulam for Idowu
Ziyech for Onazi (move Mikel to CM)

why will Gueye replace Ndidi?
Ndidi's country qualified ahead of Gueyes
Ndidi and Gueye both play in the same league, Ndidi has better records, more blocks, more tackles won e. t. c
Or are you using their "blackness" ni?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2484) (2485) (2486) (2487) (2488) (2489) (2490) ... (16732) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Alfryd, TradingGod, oloriooko(m), tomsniel(m), 123jamessmith and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 253
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.