Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,027 members, 7,896,326 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 11:16 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2636) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12127191 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2633) (2634) (2635) (2636) (2637) (2638) (2639) ... (16450) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:07pm On Jan 20, 2018
Icon4s:

Which Emeka Ogbugh and dangerous crosses?

Did we not watch the same game? Ogbugh that could not even control simple passes put across to him.

The only two dangerous crosses I saw all match came from Faleye. One Okpotu made a mess of it and the second Ogbugh headed straight to goalie.

Please stop hyping mediocrity all in the name of defending local players. Be objective please.

The team even played better against Rwanda.

Thank God we were spared of another embarrassment.

You are the only one here guilty of hype. One mistake is what you use and say he couldn't control a pass. What about Faleye who made a harsh of umpteen scoring opportunities? We take the good with the bad, we don't come out bashing a young man for one single mistake.
Go and watch the games don't watch me. U seem to be more worried about proving me wrong that looking at the reality on ground.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 3:09pm On Jan 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

Balogun is in Germany, much easier for him to go to England than to fly to Nigeria. Ighalo and Mikel would probably be back to China by then and would not be available.

This is not a FIFA window. Players need to be in training the next day.

Baba,Musa and success would b available @ d venue A WEEK b4 d unveiling program grin grin,so no cause for alarm.Both players dont av much doing at deir respective clubs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 3:10pm On Jan 20, 2018
goldfish80:

Could their problem be lack of facilities? Recall their broadcast equipment was massively upgraded in 2009 for the broadcast of the U17 WC.
I doubt they have auctioned off those OBB vans.

they have the facilities. When I visited the NTA office at Asaba(?), just somewhere in Delta I was genuinely shocked. They had better broadcast equipments than Channels TV for example but I guess we all know who the boss is. The problem is putting square pegs in round holes. Some of their workers have been handling same positions for 50years straight without any form of improvement through forums, workshops or all what not. It's just the same issue destroying the civil service as a whole

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:11pm On Jan 20, 2018
goldfish80:

Could their problem be lack of facilities? Recall their broadcast equipment was massively upgraded in 2009 for the broadcast of the U17 WC.

For God's sakes Nigeria '99 was 19years ago!

The world has gone digital while they are still bragging about their analogue facilities.

Go to YouTube and check out those Nigeria 99 videos and see if they are different from what we see on NTA today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:12pm On Jan 20, 2018
Mickael2:

they have the facilities. When I visited the NTA office at Asaba(?), just somewhere in Delta I was genuinely shocked. They had better broadcast equipments than Channels TV for example but I guess we all know who the boss is. The problem is putting square pegs in round holes. Some of their workers have been handling same positions for 50years straight without any form of improvement through forums, workshops or all what not. It's just the same issue destroying the civil service as a whole

Do they transmit digital signals from NTA Asaba?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 3:12pm On Jan 20, 2018
somehow:
Old story abi or recent? If recent, which northern club because most of them always get served once reported.

it hasn't been exactly old, 2015/2016 season precisely
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 3:14pm On Jan 20, 2018
Icon4s:

Do they transmit digital signals from NTA Asaba?

that answer isn't straight. They have the equipment but lack the necessary manpower. So they can oh but they don't
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:16pm On Jan 20, 2018
This is under LMC so which club is it?
Mickael2:

it hasn't been exactly old, 2015/2016 season precisely
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:17pm On Jan 20, 2018
Redundant staff, they won't leave and won't allow capable hands take over. When sacked, they join the noise makers insulting the govt. Nigerians!
Mickael2:

that answer isn't straight. They have the equipment but lack the necessary manpower. So they can oh but they don't
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:18pm On Jan 20, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

You are the only one here guilty of hype. One mistake is what you use and say he couldn't control a pass. What about Faleye who made a harsh of umpteen scoring opportunities? We take the good with the bad, we don't come out bashing a young man for one single mistake.
Go and watch the games don't watch me. U seem to be more worried about proving me wrong that looking at the reality on ground.

If you had hyped Faleye too. I would have criticised him for having a cane deserving first half.

You hyped Ogbugh by saying he made dangerous crosses and I told you the only two dangerous crosses I saw all game were made by Faleye. One messed up by Okpotu and the other headed straight by Ogbugh. This one everyone can remember. Now tell me the dangerous crosses Ogbugh made.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 3:19pm On Jan 20, 2018
First league goal for Moses....Cool!

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:19pm On Jan 20, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

If you had hyped Faleye too. I would have criticised him for having a cane deserving first half.

You hyped Ogbugh by saying he made dangerous crosses and I told you the only two dangerous crosses I saw all game were made by Faleye. One messed up by Okpotu and the other headed straight by Ogbugh. This one everyone can remember. Now tell me the dangerous crosses Ogbugh made.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 20, 2018
Mickael2:

how many away teams have been awarded penalties in the NPFL's history infact

I think there’s been a lot of improvement in the NPL. Players and teams need to develop winning mentalities. I think away teams are not ambitious enough.

Enugu stadium seem to be one neutral place where any team that works hard enough would win as the fans love good football and not hostile to away teams.

Lobi beat Rangers 2-1 at Enugu few days ago. Teams like Heartland, Elkanemi, Pillars, Enyimba have all won convincingly inside the Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium. Shooting stars, Ifeanyi Uba fc, Sunshine of Akure have all drawn while home fans applaud their beautiful football. Enugu fans would rather attack Rangers for bad football than turn their anger on visiting teams who play well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:22pm On Jan 20, 2018
Icon4s:

For God's sakes Nigeria '99 was 19years ago!

The world has gone digital while they are still bragging about their analogue facilities.

Go to YouTube and check out those Nigeria 99 videos and see if they are different from what we see on NTA today.

LOL. I was talking about Nigeria 2009. They were the broadcast partners of the organizing committee. Billions were spent to upgrade their facilities in 99, 2003 Coja and 2009 U17 WC.
As a matter of fact, N8.2b was spent in 2009 on upgrade of facilities alone.
http://saharareporters.com/2009/07/19/nta-scam-82-billion-naira-nta-broadcast-equipment-nigeria-2009-questions

With the facilities at their disposal, I shudder to think they cannot show a simple replay when a goal is scored. We are talking about facilities worth £32M for goodness sake. With a pentium 3 computer, you can edit and show replays. Ha!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 20, 2018
Mickael2:

I guess you are right, thanks a lot for the advice, you aren't so bad afterall grin grin grin

You never talk wetin dey your mind. I just dey look you with one eye.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:25pm On Jan 20, 2018
goldfish80:

LOL. I was talking about Nigeria 2009. They were the broadcast partners of the organizing committee. Billions were spent to upgrade their facilities in 99, 2003 Coja and 2009 U17 WC.
As a matter of fact, N8.2b was spent in 2009 on upgrade of facilities alone.
http://saharareporters.com/2009/07/19/nta-scam-82-billion-naira-nta-broadcast-equipment-nigeria-2009-questions

With the facilities at their disposal, I shudder to think they cannot show a simple replay when a goal is scored. We are talking about facilities worth £32M for goodness sake. With a pentium 3 computer, you can edit and show replays. Ha!

They seem only to upgrade facilities during the hosting of major events.

May be they are waiting for us to host another major event for them to upgrade their facilities.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 3:26pm On Jan 20, 2018
Beautiful goal by VicMo

89' GOALLLLLLLLL!!!! MOSES MAKES IT FOUR! Musonda lifts a peach of a ball over the top of the Brighton defence and Moses on the charge does brilliantly to take it out of the air. His control is perfect and his second touch isn't bad either as he slots his left-footed strike past Ryan with ease.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:29pm On Jan 20, 2018
gbosaa:

I think there’s been a lot of improvement in the NPL. Players and teams need to develop winning mentalities. I think away teams are not ambitious enough.

Enugu stadium seem to be one neutral place where any team that works hard enough would win as the fans love good football and not hostile to away teams.

Lobi beat Rangers 2-1 at Enugu few days ago. Teams like Heartland, Elkanemi, Pillars, Enyimba have all won convincingly inside the Nnamdi Azikiwe stadium. Shooting stars, Ifeanyi Uba fc, Sunshine of Akure have all drawn while home fans applaud their beautiful football. Enugu fans would rather attack Rangers for bad football than turn their anger on visiting teams who play well.

Hostilities by the home fans. That is a major challenge we have in the NPFL. It didn't start today.

But officials still need to make the right calls without being afraid of being lynched. Adequate security need to be provided for the refs themselves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:30pm On Jan 20, 2018
goldfish80:
Don’t Laugh at NTA, Support them to Grow Domestic Sports

It appears the lot has again fallen on the government-owned Nigeria Television Authority to revive the Nigerian sports industry. Following the decision of satellite broadcaster, Supersport to stop covering the Nigerian Professional Football League games last season, the League Management Company has turned to the NTA for answers.

While the national broadcaster has the widest reach and decent equipment, our abandonment of our domestic sports has meant much of the equipment was left to rot, while there was hardly any effort to grow expertise in 21st century sports production. It was no surprise then that when the 2018 season of the NPFL started last weekend, the NTA coverage left much to be desired.

Most analysts were unsurprisingly critical of the quality of the production, compared to what Supersport had offered before. In Nigeria, when we are not directly involved in something, we tend to gloss over the variables involved in achieving world class quality. To reach the quality levels of Supersport, let alone the standards of European packaging, will take massive financial investments and time. This can only be possible if there is considerable support from the local business community and government. The problem however is that our brands only want to sponsor the glitzier English Premier League and UEFA Champions League games, while government has failed to grasp how sports can engage and unify our exploding and increasingly polarized population.
In the more successful parts of the world, people understand how self-protection is critical to society’s success and global competition. The business community would have understood the need to back the NPFL for two reasons: First, this funds the league, Second, it creates jobs and wealth within society that translates to better patronage of their products or services. But this is Africa where we would rather look good and lose than to look bad and win. When our businesses sponsor the foreign leagues they essentially fund the leagues overseas and create almost zero value within our society. In the end we all lose, and we can see the results in our economy today.
Television is critical to the success of the sports industry. Ideally TV networks pay for content like the NPFL and recoup their investments through subscriptions and advertising. Supersport, to their credit, used to pay for the rights to the NPFL to encourage the development of the local game. For years this South African-owned company poured millions of dollars into the league and got almost no support as our own Nigerian brands were instead throwing their own millions of dollars to the European game.
Now the collateral damage from not developing our own has reached all corners. Business is bad for everyone. Although Supersport blamed some contractual breach for pulling the plug on the NPFL deal, we all know business is not as rosy as it once was. It may be convenient for most of us to blame the government for our woes, but the fact is that if we continue to ship N70 of every N100 we earn in Nigeria overseas, we will be poorer every year regardless of how brilliant the government is.
NTA as a government-run organisation can hardly afford to pay for the NPFL rights. Beyond the rights the network also needs to commit hundreds of millions into filming the games. Were the NPFL a darling of Nigerian fans, then maybe the government would undertake the investment, but is this is hardly the case. However sports remain a critical tool to engage our exploding population and unify our increasingly polarized peoples, so it is imperative we find a way out.
The LMC is also critical to the solution and it appears they are moving in the right direction. Were they awash with cash, they would set up their own filming company to record the games and then simply sell the rights to TV networks around the world. However they lack the resources to do this and must now work with the NTA to arrive at their goal. This appears a partnership of strange bedfellows, but it is for now the sensible thing to do. Their success however is dependent on whether they find advertisers as, unlike Supersport, the NTA does not make any money from subscriptions.
The idea is not for us to ridicule NTA and the poor quality of their production, or to dismiss the NPFL, but for us to find a way to help out such that the league and sports industry survive to create the value we desperately need within our society. While the federal government may not directly commit funds to the NTA and league, there is no reason why rich government parastatals like the NNPC, CBN, Customs, NPA, etc cannot put some of their community development and marketing funds on sports. Each of these organisations can directly sponsor top sports events like our football league or competitions in other sports like athletics or tennis etc.
The behemoths have the budgets, but for now they use them for silly things like calendars and expensive gifts for already wealthy people. We cannot afford to waste more time and resources before we take sports seriously. For now it is imperative chime in our bit to help NTA and the LMC succeed, unless we feel that when the food finally disappears from our tables the EPL and UEFA can help.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/01/20/dont-laugh-at-nta-support-them-to-grow-domestic-sports/

Dont laugh at NTA, Mourn instead

Nigeria hosted the U20 world cup in 1999, then followed it up with The AFCON 2000 co hosted with Ghana and my word, was the picture quality brilliant. We watched quality coverage for the first time on tv. It even looked so good on Black and white TV. NTA had OB vans that were state of the art coverage. Lets not also forget that Nigeria still went ahead to host the whole world again in 2009 for the U17 world cup and broadcast rights was also given to NTA.

Question is with all of these equipments, what did NTA do after all these events? Hire out , dem no hire out. Use, dem no use. When they were supposed to be innovative in programmes, they were busy being political marketers. You dont need OB vans for those. Heck, you dont even need slowmo to watch all those political adverts. Where would you need the coverage artistry of camera angles when all you are interested in is who is running for which political post so as to advertise? This is the same problem with every facility we have ever built e.g Abuja Stadium. Its only when high profile events are about to take place that we do a bit of maintenance or remember they do exist. Once they are run by government, they are run aground. Is it a curse? Or its just government that is irresponsible? No demand for quality, improvement and innovation. Its always the same moribund programmes from days of yore. Presenters cant even deliver in good queens English.

By now, NTA should have been a varsity for theatre and Media production. But it is a goverment outfit best suited for politics and nothing else....or at least thats how they have made it look like. Imagine super eagles playing an important friendly and they dont even get a mention in the news let alone show the match... in a soccer crazy nation as ours? And here we are blaming people for chosing to watch EPL over Nigeria football League. Commentary nko? We have quality graduates from varsities that studied theatre arts and mass communication who could put their phonetics to good use for better representation of the Nation. But what do we have? You hear commentaries and you just feel the need to go watch a music channel instead. Picture quality is eyesore, commentary is earsore. In a world where people have a choice of what brand to go with, an institution like NTA decides to be tied to the past. (First in africa). No training, no keeping with current trends, audio quality is oddly bad and equipments slowly become obsolete.

I remember when Larry Echiejile was a freelance sportscaster, you would love listening to the dude for i think 15 or 30 minutes every morning. You know that nobody doea it better like Larry. On days when Tony Obot steps in, you would be like where is Larry? Now the dude has built his brand BRILLA sports. And its even getting better. Thats what is expected of a bigger brand like NTA. I am not laughing at NTA, I mourn instead. I know when multichoice started advertising in Nigeria in early 90s from an aparthied nation....27 years down the line and they own africa broadcast airwaves. Thats what foresight does.

There is a saying.... doin the same thing, the same way and expecting a different result is a definition of Malady or madness. Look at NFF. They suddenly are toast to everyone. Every corporate body is lining up to associate with them because of their success. They are successful now because someone dared to think differently. They may have troubles with the status quo but they certainly found their way around it. Its time goverment did the same. I wont say more than that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:32pm On Jan 20, 2018
Mickael2:

To be honest, the minister of information should probe the management of Nta. Something is not right with that organization.
I don't think they have invested in capacity training of their staff in years, I cant imagine the rot that is the school of broadcasting in Jos and Lagos if the principal organization that is Nta and Frsc are like this.
It appears they are grossly incompetent to handle those multi million USD broadcast facilities.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2018
Icon4s:

Then who the heck has been our best player going forward?
Those crosses u mentioned were not dangerous. The speed and angle did not help the strikers. I was talking about the whole tournament but in the last match what about the fizzing cross he made at the beginning of the match? The one everybody thought the keeper got a hand to.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:41pm On Jan 20, 2018
Aramide Oteh of QPR, new 19 year old Nigerian striker on the block starting to play regularly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:43pm On Jan 20, 2018
Mickael2:

Thank you sir. Exactly what I missed in my epistle. To whom much is given, much is expected. Digital or not, it will shock you how much you can do with some supposed obsolete equipments. There is a current trend going on in the world and that is , make use of whatever you have available. No excuse. In my field, i find that true and true each day. You find that some equipments are just pure waste. What iPhone can do is almost what an Infinix will do in the hands of a good techie. Now putting it into perspective, giving ur 79year old grandpa an iPhone X because he deserves does not mean he will value it, neither does it mean he will use one-hundredth of what the phone was designed to do. Never mind how much you spent getting him the gift.

That should explain the current situation properly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Then who the heck has been our best player going forward?
Those crosses u mentioned were not dangerous. The speed and angle did not help the strikers. I was talking about the whole tournament but in the last match what about the fizzing cross he made at the beginning of the match? The one everybody thought the keeper got a hand to.

The two crosses Faleye set up for Okpotu and Oghugh were not dangerous?

If those crosses had gotten to better players I am sure you won't be saying what u are saying.

Overall, that team does not have any player I would call a danger man. Not even the Faleye.

Compare this CHAN team with Keshi's CHAN team of 2014 then you know what I am talking about.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:52pm On Jan 20, 2018
Kelechi back on the bench for Leicester against Watford. Ndidi starts as usual

Iwobi starts for Arsenal as well

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2018
Nooo o.. those that died or suffering permanent disabilities got nothing in return. Let Nigerians get civilized and stop risking the lives of our officials.
Icon4s:

Hostilities by the home fans. That is a major challenge we have in the NPFL. It didn't start today.

But officials still need to make the right calls without being afraid of being lynched. Adequate security need to be provided for the refs themselves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2018
goldfish80:

come see how happy I was in 2009 when Late Umaru Yar'adua led administration got the OBS vans (9 or 10 can't recollect now) for NTA an upgrade on what they had just to enable them broadcast the 2009 U-17 World cup with ease and to meet the world standard as of then...

I was so happy because I was expecting a ripple effect across TV Broadcast in the nation. I was expecting it to be the turning point for our league considering the level of investment made by the Federal Government to make the tournaments a success. But I was met with disappointment. It was really a great opportunity the then administration let slip away.

I hope we get it right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:13pm On Jan 20, 2018
Iwobi! Ndidi just had a shot blocked too. Nice day

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:14pm On Jan 20, 2018
Iwobi!!! Yes!!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:17pm On Jan 20, 2018
eazyjakes:
First league goal for Moses....Cool!
nice ball control from Moses and cool finishing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:19pm On Jan 20, 2018
Nigerian players in the epl are on fire

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2018
Iwobi scores.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (2633) (2634) (2635) (2636) (2637) (2638) (2639) ... (16450) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lovewins, Philosopher1979, Provalker, ouzo1(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.