Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,857 members, 7,893,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 08:30 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2869) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12099428 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2866) (2867) (2868) (2869) (2870) (2871) (2872) ... (16444) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:11pm On Feb 20, 2018
asha80:
actually it happens often in some countries..in brazil now there is a debate on desirability of pairing casemrio and fernandinho..let us not also forget the lampard gerrard debates when they were at their peaks.
Thank you for this apt input.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:16pm On Feb 20, 2018
bengine:

I disagree sir..In a world cup that is a tournament, there is always best combination to neutralize your opposition..and that's also part of the unpredictability in a team..

If your team is really good, you can only have probably 90% sure bankers for first 11..one or two players can be injected for tactical reasons..this is how u know a good team..

That is the reason why I'm really hopeful for this team because of the competition in the team

na so my bro.

Imagine a bench that has:
Idowu/Aina
Balogun/Awaziem
Ebuehi
Joel
Etebo
Musa
Moses Simon
Kelechi...

That kind of bench is rich in it's own way/class and you know you're covered compare to what we paraded in Brazil...

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cromz(m): 7:17pm On Feb 20, 2018
tbaba1234:
Turkish team of the week.. Troost Ekong made it

who's atiba sounds like a Yoruba name.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 7:23pm On Feb 20, 2018
AIG07:
na so my bro.

Imagine a bench that has:
Idowu/Aina
Balogun/Awaziem
Ebuehi
Joel
Etebo
Musa
Moses Simon
Kelechi...

That kind of bench is rich in it's own way/class and you know you're covered compare to what we paraded in Brazil...

Yes oo..truly competitive bench..we just need to pray for luck..I have seen games where the team plays well and there is no luck..they chop like 4bars in a game..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
bengine:

I disagree sir..In a world cup that is a tournament, there is always best combination to neutralize your opposition..and that's also part of the unpredictability in a team..

If your team is really good, you can only have probably 90% sure bankers for first 11..one or two players can be injected for tactical reasons..this is how u know a good team..

That is the reason why I'm really hopeful for this team because of the competition in the team

Field the same players, use the same tactics for every opponent and get roasted like hot suya. Go watch a clip on YouTube tagged 'numbers game' to understand how football has changed. They study every player to the minutest detail. Based on that book I shared here it was said that Germany broke down Ronaldo's game and gave Boateng to study. The guy watched the clip so much that he noticed some peculiarities about Ronaldo when corners are being played.

Shebi Croatia has deployed a scout to watch us. Was it merely down to great tactics that we resoundingly beat Cameroun last year?Remember Rohr had been tracking Cameroun for a long time at least from the Afcon 2017.

My point is a good team must have some measure dynamism if it's to survive the kind of ruthless and rigorous analysis that has become the hallmark of modern football.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:29pm On Feb 20, 2018
bengine:

Yes oo..truly competitive bench..we just need to pray for luck..I have seen games where the team plays well and there is no luck..they chop like 4bars in a game..
Fortune(luck) favours the brave.

Some little bravery on our part can help us with luck. Bravery not recklessness.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:42pm On Feb 20, 2018
bengine:

You just nailed it bro..no one is blaming any player..we are all just robbing minds about our best midfield combo
Exactly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:42pm On Feb 20, 2018
How old is this guy again?
Icon4s:

First pix: Chrisantus at 17
Second pix: Chrisantus at 27
Wonder how he will look at 37 undecided

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:44pm On Feb 20, 2018
CAF Club Championship; Nigeria Fifa Referees on Duty
Two groups of international referees of Nigeria extraction will be on duty as the second leg of the Confederation of African Football, CAF, club competition holds.
In the As Togo Port de Lome vs AC Leopard De Dolisie of Congo, in Togo, Shuaibu Abdulahi of the Katsina State Referees Council is the referee to be assisted by Samuel Pwadutakam of Adamawa council and Katsina's Isah Usman as Assistant Referee 1 and 2 respectively. Basheer Salisu of Kano serves as the Fourth Official while Lagos based Quadri Adebimpe leads Celestine Efosa Igudia,( Edo), Peter Ogwu ( Bauchi) as AR1 and AR2 respectively. Ben Odey is the fourth officials for the CAF Champions league involving homers, Deportivo Niefang of Equatorial Guinea and New Stars De Douala of Cameroun.

The NRA wishes them best of luck and safe trip.

Kelechi Mejuobi
National Publicity Secretary, NPS
NRA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:44pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Do you know how many players Italy used in 2006? Do you know how many players Brazil used in 94? I think first eleven means you have substantially the same players in every game. It doesn't mean you must use the same players for every game.
No,first eleven mean your super regular irrespective of opponent.

The team can only be tampered with due to poor performances,injuries and card related issues but changing one or two players due to opponent is not realistic.

Using many players by Brazil or Italy at WC might be due to tactical changes from the bench during matches cos their starting eleven remained unchanged except for injuries or card related issues,pls go and check it.

My man for efficient,Rohr must either settled for Ndidi- Onazi or Ndidi- Ogu but changing the combination just cos of opponent,not that way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 7:47pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Field the same players, use the same tactics for every opponent and get roasted like hot suya. Go watch a clip on YouTube tagged 'numbers game' to understand how football has changed. They study every player to the minutest detail. Based on that book I shared here it was said that Germany broke down Ronaldo's game and gave Boateng to study. The guy watched the clip so much that he noticed some peculiarities about Ronaldo when corners are being played.

Shebi Croatia has deployed a scout to watch us. Was it merely down to great tactics that we resoundingly beat Cameroun last year?Remember Rohr had been tracking Cameroun for a long time at least from the Afcon 2017.

My point is a good team must have some measure dynamism if it's to survive the kind of ruthless and rigorous analysis that has become the hallmark of modern football.

Thanks bro for your wonderful post..I would sure check it out on YouTube..if you field the same 11, you would get roasted so fast..

Even Mikel that is currently our general and the only guy that dictates the pace of our game for our team is being watched already and I won't be surprised if our opponents are already planning to neutralize him..Even me as a Nigerian fan, I know Mikel doesn't like to be pressed when on the ball..if I can notice this, don't u think our opponents already know this..

Only Dynamism and unpredictability can make us survive in this day and age of intensive data collection.. everybody dey collect data, if it was 25years ago, ppl won't really know how high ndidis's tackle rate is..but thanks to data, we can see the kind of monster he is developing into..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:49pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:
Agu
Spot on
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 7:56pm On Feb 20, 2018
bengine:

Thanks bro for your wonderful post..I would sure check it out on YouTube..if you field the same 11, you would get roasted so fast..

Even Mikel that is currently our general and the only guy that dictates the pace of our game for our team is being watched already and I won't be surprised if our opponents are already planning to neutralize him..Even me as a Nigerian fan, I know Mikel doesn't like to be pressed when on the ball..if I can notice this, don't u think our opponents already know this..

Only Dynamism and unpredictability can make us survive in this day and age of intensive data collection.. everybody dey collect data, if it was 25years ago, ppl won't really know how high ndidis's tackle rate is..but thanks to data, we can see the kind of monster he is developing into..
actually the tactical aspect of football have always been improving as time passes..in fact it was this tactical improvements early late 70s and early 80s(especially in European teams) that nailed the coffin of Brazilian jogo Bonito brand of football after the 1986 world cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:58pm On Feb 20, 2018
bengine:

Pls try and read my comment very well then you will understand my point.

Pls go and do your research on our Atlanta 96 team of Olishe - Okocha combo,it took a card before Lawal came into the picture,pairing Okocha in the semi final

In the final Olishe came back and paired Okocha, meaning Okocha - Olishe was the first team combo irrespective of the opponent formation.

Throughout Atlanta 96 our combo was Olishe-Okocha except semi final when Olishe was ruled out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:58pm On Feb 20, 2018
Kog45:
No,first eleven mean your super regular irrespective of opponent.

The team can only be tampered with due to poor performances,injuries and card related issues but changing one or two players due to opponent is not realistic.

Using many players by Brazil or Italy at WC might be due to tactical changes from the bench during matches cos their starting eleven remained unchanged except for injuries or card related issues,pls go and check it.

My man for efficient,Rohr must either settled for Ndidi- Onazi or Ndidi- Ogu but changing the combination just cos of opponent,not that way.
Well changing tactics and personnel to suit the opponents is the reality of modern day football. I am glad you said one or two. That's my definition of stability and dynamism. Not that for every match you adopt the same approach all the time. We are discussing the Ndidi Onazi combination because to my mind that combination limits Ndidi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cromz(m): 8:02pm On Feb 20, 2018
i honestly feel Nigeria will get to at least the semi finals in the world cup because we have a lot of hidden weapons. players who can do great damage like henry,musa,joel obi,eteboetc our opponents don't know how dangerous this boys can be so that will be our strength

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:03pm On Feb 20, 2018
Kog45:

Pls go and do your research on our Atlanta 96 team of Olishe - Okocha combo,it took a card before Lawal came into the picture,pairing Okocha in the semi final

In the final Olishe came back and paired Okocha, meaning Okocha - Olishe was the first team combo irrespective of the opponent formation.

Throughout Atlanta 96 our combo was Olishe-Okocha except semi final when Olishe was ruled out.
Football in 96 is not the same as football in 2018. Ask Mourinho, he will tell you. There was no in depth data analysis of players in 96. Now they study how you nod, how you run, your pace, your total body structure, movement, how you shoot, etc.

Oliseh Okocha combination was good and doesn't fit the situation we are discussing. Oliseh and Okocha are two different types of players.

Did we ever combine Okocha and Oruma? If we ever did then that's the kind of combination you should use to mirror our discussion on Ndidi and Onazi combination. We are talking about Ndidi/Onazi combination that if we really want to be truthful limits Ndidi. It's clear to see. The best combination is the one that brings out the best in both players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:11pm On Feb 20, 2018
somehow:
How old is this guy again?
O' boy! that lady's eye-catching beauty just filled the whole picture.

Damn!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:13pm On Feb 20, 2018
bengine:

Imagine if a team presses him on the ball and neutralises him we go dey shout say Mikel no play well. No! Science has only been applied on him. But if we are dynamic enough we find another creative outlet and surprise the opponent. Or another strategy that lessens Mikel's role.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:21pm On Feb 20, 2018
asha80:
actually it happens often in some countries..in brazil now there is a debate on desirability of pairing casemrio and fernandinho..let us not also forget the lampard gerrard debates when they were at their peaks.
England never achieved much with Gerrard and Lampard despite the fact that these were two of the greatest midfield Generals of the modern game. England almost always fielded the two of them. I presume their thinking would have been like: 'yeah we have the two best midfielders, we must use two of them all the time'.
Maybe if they had the courage to drop one for the other as sub it would have given room for a different kind of player with different ability to add something to their game rather than Gerrard and Lampard who were basically the same kind of players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:25pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

England never achieved much with Gerrard and Lampard despite the fact that these were two of the greatest midfield Generals of the modern game. England almost always fielded the two of them. I presume their thinking would have been like: 'yeah we have the two best midfielders, we must use two of them all the time'.
Maybe if they had the courage to drop one for the other as sub it would have given room for a different kind of player with different ability to add something to their game rather than Gerrard and Lampard who were basically the same kind of players.
exactly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:32pm On Feb 20, 2018
asha80:
exactly
They limited England's game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:33pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Football in 96 is not the same as football in 2018. Ask Mourinho, he will tell you. There was no in depth data analysis of players in 96. Now they study how you nod, how you run, your pace, your total body structure, movement, how you shoot, etc.

Oliseh Okocha combination was good and doesn't fit the situation we are discussing. Oliseh and Okocha are two different types of players.

Did we ever combine Okocha and Oruma? If we ever did then that's the kind of combination you should use to mirror our discussion on Ndidi and Onazi combination. We are talking about Ndidi/Onazi combination that if we really want to be truthful limits Ndidi. It's clear to see. The best combination is the one that brings out the best in both players.
Truly football has changed but the basic factor about football will never changed,so try and read my comments all over again may be you would understand me better cos my point is simple,.

It's either Rohr settled for Ndidi- Onazi or Ndidi - Ogu/Etebo but changing the combo based on opponent not ideal and till today in any competition serious coach don't toil that line,pls do you research.

The major issue now,we have seen Onazi-Ndidi during WC qualifier and Ndidi- Ogu in friendlies and Algeria match but some believe better to have Ndidi- Ogu cos Ndidi seems to function well but Onazi limiting Ndidi.

My man it's left for Rohr to decide but i can bet it with anyone that what i happened during WC qualifier would repeat itself,maintaining his team irrespective of opponent except bad performance occurs.

Did we ever combined Oruma and Okocha? No cos it's either Olishe - Okocha and others but mind you it happened against Argentina when Bonfrere Jo brought Oruma in,this is the type of changes am talking about,it can only happen during matches.

Are you saying Rohr is not getting it right using Ndidi and Onazi together
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:40pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Now you are talking.

If you want to base it on similar style,fine one can be dropped and absorbs a player with different style that would give the team balance,meaning Ndidi-Ogu would be our starting combo irrespective of opponent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:50pm On Feb 20, 2018
Kog45:
Truly football has changed but the basic factor about football will never changed,so try and read my comments all over again may be you would understand me better cos my point is simple,.

It's either Rohr settled for Ndidi- Onazi or Ndidi - Ogu/Etebo but changing the combo based on opponent not ideal and till today in any competition serious coach don't toil that line,pls do you research.

The major issue now,we have seen Onazi-Ndidi during WC qualifier and Ndidi- Ogu in friendlies and Algeria match but some believe better to have Ndidi- Ogu cos Ndidi seems to function well but Onazi limiting Ndidi.

My man it's left for Rohr to decide but i can bet it with anyone that what i happened during WC qualifier would repeat itself,maintaining his team irrespective of opponent except bad performance occurs.

Well, we'd see. I hope you read what I wrote about Gerrard and Lampard following Asha80's cue? To me it's easy to see why Ogu brings in balance. Onazi and Ndidi are basically the same kind of players. So if Rohr decides to go by his WCQ approach good and fine but just remember that African teams during qualifiers no be WC oo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2018
Kog45:
Now you are talking.

If you want to base it on similar style,fine one can be dropped and absorbs a player with different style that would give the team balance,meaning Ndidi-Ogu would be our starting combo irrespective of opponent.
That's the whole essence of what we've been saying now. In fact we were edging around the point, not wanting to come out directly because we love both players. Bengine wrote about both of them having the same style even both being predominantly right footed.

But for the sake of what is best I think a choice has to be made between one of the two. But if Rohr feels he is OK with the two of them, sure I am fine too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Well, we'd see. I hope you read what I wrote about Gerrard and Lampard following Asha80's cue? To me it's easy to see why Ogu brings in balance. Onazi and Ndidi are basically the same kind of players. So if Rohr decides to go by his WCQ approach good and fine but just remember that African teams during qualifiers no be WC oo
Definitely it would be different ball game at WC but remember we have seen great performances from Africa teams at WC,Ghana missed Semi final by whiske,thanks to Suarez intentional handled goal bound ball,Senegal against all odds beat defendiy champion France and reached qtr final,Cameroon made Italian 90 a memorable one and Nigeria was fantastic against at US 94.

My man we have a team to shake the world, its left for Rohr to get it right and give us a good team to watch,nothing more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 9:30pm On Feb 20, 2018
Kog45:

Sir who else on that team had the unique quality of Oliseh and okocha on the bench...they would always be first choice in that midfield just like mikel would always play in that midfield regardless of the opposition and tactics we deploy..in fact the way Ndidi is going, it seems he is unstoppable which leaves one spot left in the midfield..that is what we have been talking about with the dynamism we are suggesting in the midfield..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 9:43pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Imagine if a team presses him on the ball and neutralises him we go dey shout say Mikel no play well. No! Science has only been applied on him. But if we are dynamic enough we find another creative outlet and surprise the opponent. Or another strategy that lessens Mikel's role.

You get am bro...if I could notice this without data, now imagine what our opposition already knows...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 9:45pm On Feb 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

They limited England's game.

Perfect example...the kind of form Gerard and lampatd had then, you would expect England to beat players from the moon..I think that lack of dynamism affected England so much during the peak of those players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 10:11pm On Feb 20, 2018
Kog45:
Now you are talking.

Sir Kog45 I understand you talking from your vast experience and I understand your opinion is formed on how team should be selected..the game has just evolved so much that we need to evolve with it to stay competitive
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:11pm On Feb 20, 2018
Look at how Messi has been kept quiet..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2866) (2867) (2868) (2869) (2870) (2871) (2872) ... (16444) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: humility33(m), mekabuachi, elyte89 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.