Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,261 members, 7,877,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 02 July 2024 at 12:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2965) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12013348 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2962) (2963) (2964) (2965) (2966) (2967) (2968) ... (16403) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:53pm On Mar 07, 2018
I mean why did you stop getting involved with Enyimba?

Was there money in the league then? How much was the league winner getting then?

How much were players being paid then? If anything, its now we have more money in the league.

What league winners get now is 10 times higher than then.

By now, Enyimba should have become a community or private club looking at all they have achieved, how come Enyimba is still depending on state government? All the monies earned via international cups, what was done with it?

They sold alot of players for good money then, Enyeama, Aiyenugba, Ogunbiyi etc..

Enyimba is a bad model to copy meen.

Icon4s:

Stop? Did I say I have stopped being an Enyimba fan?
I still watched some of Enyimba's games on DSTV up till last season and still went to watch one of their FA cup games(which they even lost) about 2 years ago.

The difference between then and now is we had a football loving governor then who budgeted so much on Enyimba. The Enyimba international stadium had one of the best natural pitches in the country then. Many corporate bodies were ready to associate with the club due to its successes. Business was good at Enyimba FC.

Not now any longer.

There is no money in the league any longer. The few quality players have left or are about to leave.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:57pm On Mar 07, 2018
I answered you already sir. He has invited 3 LBs, let's see what comes out of it.
MetalJigsaw:
Would you take Echiejile to Russia following his current performances in the team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 12:58pm On Mar 07, 2018
tbaba1234:
Rohr already knows like 18 players for sure.. Only few spots for grab.

Good experience for Stephen Eze, Junior Ajayi and Gabriel.. Do not expect any of the trio on the list.

I hope to see Agbo play for Nigeria, finally. Joel Obi is back

You can't rule Junior Ajayi out so quick, are you implying that if he scores a brace against poland you will still rule him out? .

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:00pm On Mar 07, 2018
Abusule007:
Rohr invites Mikel, Onazi, Moses, 25 others for Poland, Serbia friendlies

Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr has listed captain Mikel John Obi, midfielder Ogenyi Onazi and playmaker Victor Moses in his 28 –man squad to battle Poland’s fellow Eagles and Serbia in pre-FIFA World Cup friendly matches this month.

Home –based goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who stood between the pipes for the very crucial last four World Cup qualifying games (home-and-away to Cameroon, home to Zambia and away to Algeria), leads the goalkeeping section and will be joined by new boy Francis Uzoho and Daniel Akpeyi.

Former junior international Kenneth Omeruo is back among the defenders, as Joel Obi among the midfielders, while Eagles’ B stalwarts, defender Stephen Eze and forward Gabriel Okechukwu, are also handed opportunities.

Russia –based Brian Idowu, who scored against Argentina on his debut in a friendly in Krasnodar in November last year, and Al Ahly of Egypt’s Junior Ajayi, who earned an Olympic bronze in Brazil in 2016, are also called.

Three –time African champions Nigeria will trade tackles with the Bialo-Czerwoni (White and Red) or Eagles, as the Senior National Team of Poland is known, at the 43,000 –capacity Stadium Wroclaw on Friday, 23rd March 2018.

Four days later, the Eagles will take to the pitch against the Senior National Team of Serbia at The Hive, London - home ground of Barnet FC and London Bees.

These are the first two in a list of six friendly encounters planned for the Super Eagles by the Nigeria Football Federation ahead of the 21st FIFA World Cup finals in the Russian Federation this summer.

THE FULL LIST

Goalkeepers: Francis Uzoho (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Enyimba FC); Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United, South Africa)

Defenders: Abdullahi Shehu (Bursaspor FC, Turkey); Tyronne Ebuehi (Ado Den Haag, The Netherlands); Olaoluwa Aina (Hull City, England); Elderson Echiejile (Cercle Brugge KSV, Belgium); Brian Idowu (Amkar Perm, Russia); Chidozie Awaziem (Nantes FC, France); William Ekong (Bursaspor FC, Turkey); Leon Balogun (FSV Mainz 05, Germany); Kenneth Omeruo (Kasimpasa FC, Turkey); Stephen Eze (Lokomotiv Plovdiv, Bulgaria)

Midfielders: Mikel John Obi (Tianjin Teda, China); Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor FC, Turkey); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Oghenekaro Etebo (Las Palmas, Spain); John Ogu (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel); Uche Agbo (Standard Liege, Belgium); Joel Obi (Torino FC, Italy)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium); Victor Moses (Chelsea FC, England); Odion Ighalo (Changchun Yatai, China); Alex Iwobi (Arsenal FC, England); Junior Ajayi (Al Ahly, Egypt); Gabriel Okechukwu (Akwa United)
Rohr is truly a blessing to Nigerian football... 100 % spot on list!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 1:01pm On Mar 07, 2018
tbaba1234:
The only place where there could be changes is goalkeeping but that is dependent on who messes up.

Expect to see all three keepers in the two games.

I disagree...... it's 99% Certain the Trio are going to the World Cup bar Injury. However I expect Rohr to drop 2 Defenders, 1 Midfielder and 2 Strikers from the List for the final List.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:02pm On Mar 07, 2018
Putting food on ur table is not dependent on that. I don’t call that a sacrifice. Would u rather make do with N 150 k a month, or go for $150k a week if U had the opportunity? Choose one

somehow:
Going to watch live matches alone is a sacrifice sir. If the league didn't give them chance to showcase themselves, who will know them in the first place. Anyways my points have been made .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:06pm On Mar 07, 2018
mazimee:

You can't rule Junior Ajayi out so quick, if he scores a brace against poland you know what that means right?

I have seen Ajayi play of recent. He is not that outstanding. He might not even get minutes unless he seriously impresses in training.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:10pm On Mar 07, 2018
How is Ideye’s game. Noticed he has already scored in the La Liga?

tbaba1234:

I have seen Ajayi play of recent. He is not that outstanding. He might not even get minutes unless he seriously impresses in training.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:10pm On Mar 07, 2018
I am loving the list.... I thought only Stephen Eze and Ezenwa will be the guys from the CHAN team, but hey, wow... he brings in Okechukwu Gabriel too. Good for the lad's experience.

On this Goalie issue.... I think it is getting clearer who Rohr has in mind for Russia. Those three are gung-ho favorites now... only issue now is who would be No.1 from among the three....

Good to see Junior Ajayi (reward for hardwork and consistency), and Joel Obi (the jewel is back... hope he stays fit oooo) too.

Rohr will still release a provisional WC list.... so I await that too after this period of the friendlies. #SoarSuperEagles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:12pm On Mar 07, 2018
Agu should kiss Russia goodbye if he fails to get regular time at Bursaspor.

Modified
Maybe a few players who impress at their clubs between now and before then will make that provisional list of 30. We have 28 players in this list.

TheSuperNerd:
I am loving the list.... I thought only Stephen Eze and Ezenwa will be the guys from the CHAN team, but hey, wow... he brings in Okechukwu Gabriel too. Good for the lad's experience.

On this Goalie issue.... I think it is getting clearer who Rohr has in mind for Russia. Those three are gung-ho favorites now... only issue now is who would be No.1 from among the three....

Good to see Junior Ajayi (reward for hardwork and consistency), and Joel Obi (the jewel is back... hope he stays fit oooo) too.

Rohr will still release a provisional WC list.... so I await that too after this period of the friendlies. #SoarSuperEagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aadvark: 1:14pm On Mar 07, 2018
The long awaited friendly list is out, Junior Ajayi of Egypt's Al Ahly gets invite, but what do we expect? What exactly does Ajayi bring to the Eagles front line?
His record in his club says its goals, goals and goals.

Ajayi has proven to be very prolific for his club this season, practically tearing through teams. His proficiency in front of goal will be of value to the Eagles as they hope for a strong outing at the world cup.

But as I type this, one question nags my mind. If he performs well in the friendlies, as I have a hunch he will, who will be dropped from the Eagles attack to accommodate him? The eagles attack is one position that is star studded, with names like Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi, Simon Moses, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ahmed Musa and Odion Ighalo. So who will take the fall?

It's easy to point to Odion Ighalo, whose goal return has not been very impressive for the Eagles. Ajayi on the other hand knows how to put the ball in the net. But for a second, let's put on our analytical glasses.

The eagles usually play a 4-3-3formation with one top striker who is expected to not just score goals but also offer good hold up play. This Odion Ighalo does excellently, as we saw in the double header with Cameroon in the WC qualifiers. He can also drift to either wing and take on a man successfully, offering the sort of service that Real Madrid's Benzema does to his team. So even tho he doesn't score much, he is some sort of foil for the team, as his service makes it easy for various players to pop up with the goals.

Now can Ajayi offer that apart from the goals? The truth is that, if he provides decent enough hold up play in addition to goals, then I will be very sorry for Ighalo.

But hey, the friendlies are here, the stage is set, and a good performance from the Egypt-based goal machine might just worsen Rohr's headache. I for my part shall be on hand to hand him some Emzor paracetamol, lol.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:14pm On Mar 07, 2018
I forsee Rohr taking six forwards and six midfielders to the mundial.... barring any injury and based on this list for the march friendlies.

That means the defence will have eight names and the GK dept will have 3 as usual.

I can easily fell out the names of Rohr's possible 23 for the WC but it is still early days. Time and chance still happeneth to all..
so let the friendlies come first. wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:15pm On Mar 07, 2018
Personally I prefer Sadiq. I rate him even higher than Tammy when he was in form
tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:16pm On Mar 07, 2018
Oasis007:

I disagree...... it's 99% Certain the Trio are going to the World Cup bar Injury. However I expect Rohr to drop 2 Defenders, 1 Midfielder and 2 Strikers from the List for the final List.

I watched a interview by Rohr just last week and he did not sound that certain. He talked about looking at several possibilities. He has spoken to Osigwe, Maduka etc in recent weeks. He is getting a new gk coach to fortify the training. It sounded like a headache for him.

These three are definitely favorites but it takes one or two flops to change that picture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:17pm On Mar 07, 2018
Don’t be scared. Go ahead and predict. It’s just a prediction
TheSuperNerd:
I forsee Rohr taking six forwards and six midfielders to the mundial.... barring any injury and based on this list for the march friendlies.

That means the defence will have eight names and the GK dept will have 3 as usual.

I can easily fell out the names of Rohr's possible 23 for the WC but it is still early days. Time and chance still happeneth to all..
so let the friendlies come first. wink

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:18pm On Mar 07, 2018
aadvark:
The long awaited friendly list is out, Junior Ajayi of Egypt's Al Ahly gets invite, but what do we expect? What exactly does Ajayi bring to the Eagles front line?

Ajayi has proven to be very prolific for his club this season, practically tearing through teams. His proficiency in front of goal will be of value to the Eagles as they hope for a strong outing at the world cup.

But as I type this, one question nags my mind. If he performs well in the friendlies, as I have a hunch he will, who will be dropped from the Eagles attack to accommodate him? The eagles attack is one position that is star studded, with names like Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi, Simon Moses, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ahmed Musa and Odion Ighalo. So who will take the fall?

It's easy to point to Odion Ighalo, whose goal return has not been very impressive for the Eagles. Ajayi on the other hand knows how to put the ball in the net. But for a second, let's put on our analytical glasses.

The eagles usually play a 4-3-3formation with one top striker who is expected to not just score goals but also offer good hold up play. This Odion Ighalo does excellently, as we saw in the double header with Cameroon in the WC qualifiers. He can also drift to either wing and take on a man successfully, offering the sort of service that Real Madrid's Benzema does to his team. So even tho he doesn't score much, he is some sort of foil for the team, as his service makes it easy for various players to pop up with the goals.

Now can Ajayi offer that apart from the goals? The truth is that, if he provides decent enough hold up play in addition to goals, then I will be very sorry for Ighalo.

But hey, the friendlies are here, the stage is set, and a good performance from the Egypt-based goal machine might just worsen Rohr's headache. I for my part shall be on hand to hand him some Emzor paracetamol, lol.

In recent weeks, Ajayi has been scoring. I think that is what informed his call-up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:19pm On Mar 07, 2018
Akpeyi never flop yet abi?

tbaba1234:

I watched a interview by Rohr just last week and he did not sound that certain. He talked about looking at several possibilities. He has spoken to Osigwe, Maduka etc in recent weeks. He is getting a new gk coach to fortify the training. It sounded like a headache for him.

He talked about looking at other possibilities. These three are definitely favorites but it takes one or two flops to change that picture.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:20pm On Mar 07, 2018
Joebie:
Akpeyi never flop yet abi?

Lol, Akpeyi can not afford another error

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2018
No sentiments. Rohr would drop whoever is not giving enough. But that’s a big IF.

aadvark:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:21pm On Mar 07, 2018
grin

tbaba1234:

Lol, Akpeyi can not afford another error
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:24pm On Mar 07, 2018
Na Ayew brothers they bench Tammy. Still wishing him a happy experience with the 3 Lions in Russia. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:24pm On Mar 07, 2018
Loooolll.... hollup there Sir... it is not goals, goals and goals ooooo.... hahahahahahahahaha...

It is goals and assists...... 8 goals and 9 assists in 23 games for Al Ahly. Cool stats shaa...

Let me help you with your question... Ajayi will not replace any of Ighalo, Iheanacho, Iwobi, VicMoses, S.Moses and A.Musa... you see these six names I just reeled out... they are all Russia-bound. Take it or leave it. But me I know. And time will vindicate this under the condition that they all stay fit and have no injuries to knock them out of the WC.

If Rohr will take Ajayi to the WC ehn... it won't be at the expense of those six guys upfront. It would be at the expense of a midfielder. Meaning Rohr will have to take Five midfielders and Seven Forwards to the mundial if Ajayi must be on the plane if he pulls off near earth-shaking performances in the friendlies.

And I see that as something that may not happen because The players ahead of Ajayi ehn... will make Rohr start him from the bench and Ajayi is not high in quality compared to those six guys upfront. #Fact But he is a consistent performer for Al Ahly and uses his physical attributes to good effects.

In all time will tell.... but don't get your hopes up much on Ajayi. Let him be the one to make us go Wow!!! because I too have watched him play recently and honestly, he will have to do much more to make a strong case to be on that final plane to Russia.

aadvark:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 1:25pm On Mar 07, 2018
aadvark:

The fall will come from the Midfield if Junior Ajayi does something impressive that can't bé overlooked. The Midfield is currently filled with solid 6 players which can only bé reduced if Ajayi performs. Non of the forwards you mentioned will be dropped.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:27pm On Mar 07, 2018
aadvark:

Ajayi does not have goals, goals and goals.. 8 goals in almost 30 games for a big side

He is not that prolific..

Truthfully, i do not see him making the team. Good experience though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:27pm On Mar 07, 2018
As in eh... Shehu (our RB) is now preferred ahead of Agu in the DM role... na wa... hope Agu can fight back too shaa... Bit I personally know this: "Agu won't make the final 23 man squad"

Joebie:
Agu should kiss Russia goodbye if he fails to get regular time at Bursaspor.

Modified
Maybe a few players who impress at their clubs between now and before then will make that provisional list of 30. We have 28 players in this list.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:31pm On Mar 07, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

As in eh... Shehu (our RB) is now preferred ahead of Agu in the DM role... na wa... hope Agu can fight back too shaa... Bit I personally know this: "Agu won't make the final 23 man squad"

With Joel back, it is even more unlikely.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 1:33pm On Mar 07, 2018
Joebie:
Na Ayew brothers they bench Tammy. Still wishing him a happy experience with the 3 Lions in Russia. grin

After this experience with Tammy, I expect other Nigerian English boys to learn their final lessons.
Tammy of today cannot even play for Nigeria nor one Lion, how much more 3 Lions undecided undecided

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:33pm On Mar 07, 2018
Lolll... no be matter of being scared oooo... I just wanna hold on. We have less than 100 days to go now (precisely 99 days 2 hours and 25 mins to go as we speak... wink )

I tell you a truth... if we all reel out our WC 23, it won't be any different too except by one or two names. Any one who has been following this team should know by now what my own list will look like.... 3 GKs, 8 DFs, 6 MFs, 6 FWs... easy to know what I am thinking if anyone has been following.

Joebie:
Don’t be scared. Go ahead and predict. It’s just a prediction

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aadvark: 1:35pm On Mar 07, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ajayi does not have goals, goals and goals.. 8 goals in almost 30 games for a big side

He is not that prolific..

Truthfully, i do not see him making the team. Good experience though
Well, I didn't exactly look up his record while typing. I just wrote based on how he is described on this thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iamdynamite(m): 1:37pm On Mar 07, 2018
i would have loved to see junior lokosa instead of gabriel okechukwu, but all the same its a good list, this gives us a fair idea of how the team will be...well this is my team for the world cup

Goal keeper
Uzoho
Akpeyi
ezenwa

Defenders
Balogun
ekong
shehu
brian
tyronne
awaziem
elderson(is performances in the forthcoming friendlies will decide is fate)
ola aina
Midfielders
mikel
onazi
etebo
ndidi
joel
ogu
forwards
musa
igahlo
vicmo
iwobi
simon
kelechi

standby
kenneth omeruo
uche agbo
junior ajayi..etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:38pm On Mar 07, 2018
aadvark:
Well, I didn't exactly look up his record while typing. I just wrote based on how he is described on this thread

Yea, He has bagged like 3 or 4 goals in recent weeks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aadvark: 1:38pm On Mar 07, 2018
mazimee:

The fall will come from the Midfield if Junior Ajayi does something impressive that can't bé overlooked. The Midfield is currently filled with solid 6 players which can only bé reduced if Ajayi performs. Non of the forwards you mentioned will be dropped.
I'm not in support of dropping any of the six midfielders that will be picked. Having five mid fielders is simply courting trouble

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2962) (2963) (2964) (2965) (2966) (2967) (2968) ... (16403) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m) and 15 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.