Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,969 members, 7,876,678 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 12:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2993) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12008137 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) (2996) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:47pm On Mar 11, 2018
Nigeria's Most Promising Talent Puts On A Show In Gent Win

Published: March 11, 2018

Nigerian winger Samuel Kalu inspired Gent to a 2-1 defeat of Genk FC in the Belgian First Division on Sunday afternoon, scoring once and laying on another the Buffaloes.

The 20-year old put through teammate, Birger Verstraete for his side's opening goal after 11 minutes with a precise cross.

He would then beat the hosts goalkeeper, Danny Vukovic with a right footed effort of his own which he powered into the top right corner from the center of the box.

The goal was his sixth in the topflight this season and his performance was consummate enough to push Gent who are placed fourth on the division standings six points clear of their opponents in fifth.

Also in action at the Luminus Arena were Nigerian internationals Moses Simon and Anderson Esiti both of who went the distance in the encounter while Kalu who is in line for the MOTM accolade came off for Anders Christiansen eight minutes from time.

Last month, Samuel Kalu was named among the top fifty most promising prospects in Europe by
CIES Football Observatory, the only player of Nigerian descent that made the prestigious list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:47pm On Mar 11, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Wow not one single goal last season for Akwa but he has already gotten off the mark in Norway

Afeez Aremu's Screamer

http://twitter.com/ikstart/status/972933800547225600

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:51pm On Mar 11, 2018
junnyjake:
I made this post last year November and I can see that we're still talking down the quality of EPL, when in the real sense of it y'all ain't got nothing on Komekn, so long as we have this much players from the EPL.

I can see we've all giving into the not totally truthful assertion that anything English is mediocre and average, including their music, a country where the likes of Adele, Tinnie tempah, Stormzy, Sade, Seal, Lemar, Olly Murs, Emeli Sande and the rest come from.

please who is talking down the quality of the epl?
if not for komekn always belittling other leagues....no one here will point to the epl weakness.....

please how does those musician names you mentioned relate to football?

please try direct this to komekn who delights in hyping the epl and looking down on players plying their trade elsewhere....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:52pm On Mar 11, 2018
tbaba1234:
Reports in Portugal say Wolverhampton Wolves and Nantes are looking to activate Awaziem's release clause of 16 million Euros at the end of the season.

Where do you want Awaziem next year? In the English Premier league or Ligue 1.

Wolverhampton coach was the man that gave Awaziem his break at Porto, he knows the boy better but I would advise him to remain in France with Nantes. I once read Lyon was after him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
ChrisKels:

Wolverhampton coach was the man that gave Awaziem his break at Porto, he knows the boy better but I would advise him to remain in France with Nantes. I once read Lyon was after him.

There are other clubs after him, only Wolves and Nantes were mentioned.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:06pm On Mar 11, 2018
Humility017:

please who is talking down the quality of the epl?
if not for komekn always belittling other leagues....no one here will point to the epl weakness.....

please how does those musician names you mentioned relate to football?

please try direct this to komekn who delights in hyping the epl and looking down on players plying their trade elsewhere....

Most of our best performing players past and present have one time or another played in England, so you think Komekn is without justification in implying that till date our best legs are in the EPL?

Not that I support Komekn's constant appraisal of the EPL, but only when we have a higher ratio of players in other leagues compared to those from the EPL, can I rightly stand against Komekn.

What has the musical artists I mentioned got to do with all of these? well we've dragged in the English press, government and their lifestyle into discussions in the past, why not talk about music when holistically, it's seen here everything English is mediocre.

Oh, and I forgot to mention a certain Jacob Banks, another young English chap (naija born) whose music is gaining global recognition.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
junnyjake:

Most of our best performing players past and present have one time or another played in England, so you think Komekn is without justification in implying that till date our best legs are in the EPL?

Not that I support Komekn's constant appraisal of the EPL, but only when we have a higher ratio of players in other leagues compared to those from the EPL, can I rightly stand against Komekn.

What has the musical artists I mentioned got to do with all of these? well we've dragged in the English press, government and their lifestyle into discussions in the past, why not talk about music when holistically, it's seen here everything English is mediocre.

Oh, and I forgot to mention a certain Jacob Banks, another young English chap (naija born) whose music is gaining global recognition.

you're just beating round the Bush.....
just feel free to state your view...rather than clingin to the blame game...accusing folks of berating the epl and England...

I don't understand why some of us here are not straightforward.

no one is sayn that our best legs are not in England...but our best legs are not solely restricted or living only in England... just same way you can view the sun from any spot....likewise our best players are litered in Europe....
you guys need to break loose from that parochial mindset......and begin to view thing holistically.

the best legs can be majorly in England....elsewhere we have them too.

as regard music....common sense should teach us... that we are concerned wit music...made in English language because it's official language....
same way a nation like Senegal will priortize the French songs over any in other languages....

moreover...those musicians you mentioned I dont even know them...because i play only gospel songs...and they are mainly from the USA, Nigeria and Australia.....
so it is relative...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:23pm On Mar 11, 2018
Belgian League watch ;
Nigerians pretty active:
Sint Truiden - Club Brugge 0:1 69' - assist Dennis Bonaventure (0:1)
Oostende - Standard Liege 2:3 27' - assist Joseph Akpala (1:0) 45' - goal Joseph Akpala (2:0)
Lokeren - Zulte Waregem 0:2 89' - goal Peter Olayinka (0:2)
Genk - Gent 1:2 11' - assist Samuel Kalu (0:1) 77' - goal Samuel Kalu (0:2)
Copied
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:52pm On Mar 11, 2018
After today's match, Samuel Kalu's stat so far with Gent;

"He has been directly involved in 26 goals (10 goals, 16 assists) in 46 appearances since his move to Gent."

This guy is an assist king. Badass winger

Moses Simon's fan boys won't like this grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 10:59pm On Mar 11, 2018
ChrisKels:

Wolvehampton coach Nuno Espirto Santo wasn't the man that gave Awaziem his break at Porto, rather it was Jose Peseiro who gave Awaziem his break but Nuno Espirito Santo sent Awaziem back to Fc Porto B for the whole of 2016 / 2017 season. Awaziem should remain in Nantes for at least one more season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:10pm On Mar 11, 2018
cc12:

Wolvehampton coach Nuno Espirto Santo wasn't the man that gave Awaziem his break at Porto, rather it was Jose Peseiro who gave Awaziem his break but Nuno Espirito Santo sent Awaziem back to Fc Porto B for the whole of 2016 / 2017 season. Awaziem should remain in Nantes for at least one more season.

U r absolutely correct. I mistook Peseiro for Nuno. Espirito was actually the guy that demoted him to the B-team at Porto, now he wants him to play under him at Wolverhampton. That shows Awaziem has really put in a lot of work to be where he is today. Keep soaring my boy but plz shun England. Remain with Ranieri and his high flying Nantes team.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 11:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
tbaba1234:
Reports in Portugal say Wolverhampton Wolves and Nantes are looking to activate Awaziem's release clause of 16 million Euros at the end of the season.

Where do you want Awaziem next year? In the English Premier league or Ligue 1.
i think he should try and reproduce/bbetter his form next season before making a move
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:28pm On Mar 11, 2018
neighy:
if am not mistaken lewandoski started as a number 10... Or probably he has played the role before
Correct. Played as a 10 when Barrios was at Dortmund.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:40pm On Mar 11, 2018
‘You’re a beast in the air’, teammates tells Iheanacho

Leicester City’s Nigerian striker Kelechi Iheanacho scores his team’s third goal during the English Premier League football match between West Bromwich Albion and Leicester City at The Hawthorns stadium in West Bromwich, central England, on March 10, 2018.Lindsey PARNABY / AFP

Chrisrian Fuchs and Wilfred Ndidi applauded Kelechi Iheanacho for his impressive outing against West Bromwich Albion in one of yesterday’s English Premier League fixtures, played at The Hawthorns Stadium in West Bromwich, central England.

The Nigeria international replaced Shinji Okazaki in the encounter and gave a good account getting an assist plus a goal as the Foxes triumphed 4-1 at the Hawthorns. Significantly, Iheanacho’s 76th-minute header was his first English Premier League strike after two years.

And that has attracted his teammates’ applause on social media.“Happy for my man Kelechi for his performance and a great goal. You’re a beast in the air. Great result today for us,” Fuchs tweeted.

In the same vein, Ndidi who was on parade for the entire duration with 76 touches, five tackles and 58 total passes also commended his compatriot.“Back to winning ways and congrats to my guy on his goal and assist. Thanks to the fans for their great support,” he wrote on his Twitter handle.
The win takes Claude Puel’s men to the eighth position with 40 points from 30 games. They welcome Arsenal to King Power Stadium in their next outing.

http://guardian.ng/sport/youre-a-beast-in-the-air-teammates-tells-iheanacho/?F

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:52pm On Mar 11, 2018
junnyjake:

No sir, it is you that is missing the point.

At this stage, you should know that too much emphasis on a thing makes it loses its value... A statement of fact the likes of Komekn and forgiveness don't realize.

The way these two dwell and emphasize on players from England, at a point, makes it nauseating. They sound as if football doesn't exist outside of England or at most the top 5 leagues in Europe.

If FIFA took football this way, the game wouldn't have spreadth throughout over the 190 nations of the world.
The love of the game is everywhere and before you can be called an analyst, you should have a full grasp of players in other countries.

But Nope, sir Komekn and forgiveness wouldn't do that, rather to them, only English bred players are the best thing since slice bread.... Forgetting that the way football as a team game is structured,... Unlike individual sports and some team sports like basketball;... On a given day any team consisting of 11 players can defeat another team. That is why a Malawi can defeat a Belgium and A Cameroon can defeat Spain because despite all our predictions, it always boils down to who wants it more on the pitch.

If these two "innit" are as sensible and knowledgeable in football matters as they claim, they would have known this simple theory.

State your points and move along, don't berate other leagues while doing so. Because when you do, we take it as an offense and an insult to our football intelligence because we know and see football and i daresay Excellent quality football being played daily both within Nigeria and other parts of the world.

Honestly, a live and lets live lifestyle isn't that difficult to put on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:10am On Mar 12, 2018
somehow:
I am talking about yours in general not social media.

That's my weapon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 2:12am On Mar 12, 2018
junnyjake:

Jacob banks is naija born? shocked never knew
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:22am On Mar 12, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

Lying? For what reasons?
wait..U actually believed that thrash up there?? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 7:07am On Mar 12, 2018
SerVik:

Jacob banks is naija born? shocked never knew
lets cap him before its too late
hahahahaha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 7:10am On Mar 12, 2018
ChrisKels:
After today's match, Samuel Kalu's stat so far with Gent;

"He has been directly involved in 26 goals (10 goals, 16 assists) in 46 appearances since his move to Gent."

This guy is an assist king. Badass winger

Moses Simon's fan boys won't like this grin
he is a very good crosser something we are lacking in the SE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:12am On Mar 12, 2018
Mujtahida:

Sir I think tbaba1234 is justified in putting questions mark on Keshi's selection for the World Cup 2014. Your comparison with Westerhof taking Emanalo doesn't do justice to the truth. Look at Keshi's team to Brazil 2014. Only first 11. No bench. Is that what Westerhof did in 94? This shouldn't be about white coach or black coach. Look at the situation itself devoid of skin color. If Rohr does same he'd be criticized indeed some even still criticize his team selection and insinuate corruption. Keshi's selection for the WC was terrible. Was Keshi a terrible coach? No. He was a good coach who for reasons known to him and others like komekn made wrong selection. Doesn't come even a stretch close to Westerhof and Emanalo.
Justice to the truth?for saying some foreign coaches too were culpable of the same thing.Sir apart from Emenalo,pls check out Uche Okafor stats before France 98 and tell me the difference between him and Gabriel.

Pls did i compared,may be you should go back to the comment that drew my attention or do you think am happy with Keshi's selection?NO

My point is simple, there is no basis for comparing the local and foreign cos the later is far better,truly Keshi messed up with Gabriel but we have seen some foreign ones who messed up on some players.YES or NO

Did i try to make excuse for Gabriel inclusion? NO but some are ready to justify the inclusion of division four players cos foreign coach know what he is doing abi and they are ready to give excuse for Uche Okafor selection at France 98.

I think bringing up negativism of local coaches to rate foreign ones just damn too much here,am a Nigerian and no matter what i don't ridicule my country men but doesn't mean i rate them higher than foreign one but some see nothing good in their fellow countrymen which i dislike.

Sir Nigeria came into world football map in 1985 and till today we are still reaping that success cos it led to a rapid growth of Nigeria football and kudos to coaches like Sebastien Broderick, Willy Bazuaye,Chris Udemezue,Alabi Aisien,Paul Halmiton,James Peters,Jossy Lad,Joe Erico,Kafaru Alabi,Kadri Ikhana,Moses Otolorin,Kashimawo Laloko,Adegboyega Onigbinde,Christian Chuckwu etc

These coaches suffered for the development of football in Nigeria.If not for these people i don't think we would be here talking football.

I rememberr local coach came into the rescue when foreign one almost marred our WC chances but how many times did you see guys referring to such but when it comes to $10k baseless allegations,agents stuff local coaches received the sticks,forgetting that the duo of Westerhoff and Bonfrere Jo brought this into our system.

Yes Keshi fumbled on Reuben Gabriel and Bora fumbled on Uche Okafor.

My man just my opinion

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by congo4ka: 9:15am On Mar 12, 2018
God bless my fellow eagulians this week, what you lay you hand shall prosper in the name of Jesus and we shall all have a fruitful week InshaAllah smiley

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 9:46am On Mar 12, 2018
congo4ka:
God bless my fellow eagulians this week, what you lay you hand shall prosper in the name of Jesus and we shall all have a fruitful week InshaAllah smiley
Sometimes i really wonder what your contribution on this thread is.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 10:00am On Mar 12, 2018
tbaba1234:
Goal and Assist for Samuel Kalu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ycgYliWe_8&sns=tw
what a freekick,just Imagining ndidi on the end of that freekick in GWG!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 10:12am On Mar 12, 2018
maidaboi:
he is a very good crosser something we are lacking in the SE
Not only a crosser,he is also good at set peices and also packs a good shot on that his right foot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by congo4ka: 11:10am On Mar 12, 2018
[size=8pt][/size]
DrKlever:
Sometimes i really wonder what your contribution on this thread is.
My brother, you can ask anybody here about me, I make very useful contributions and tactical analysis smiley I also speak and write fluently Russian language, which would be very useful for us here in Russia wink

I checked out a thread in VK site ( one of the biggest online forum for Russians, Ukrainians and basically eastern Europeans) they celebrated Victor Moses when he won Nigerian best player and the comments there was encouraging, but it was written in Russian language so you guys would not really understand here cheesy I also spy on the Croatian team and fan zone to understand there weaknesses and strength, I will be a very big assets for you guys here and I don't even ask for any form of appreciation embarassed

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 11:24am On Mar 12, 2018
congo4ka:
[size=8pt][/size]
My brother, you can ask anybody here about me, I make very useful contributions and tactical analysis smiley I also speak and write fluently Russian language, which would be very useful for us here in Russia wink

I checked out a thread in VK site ( one of the biggest online forum for Russians, Ukrainians and basically eastern Europeans) they celebrated Victor Moses when he won Nigerian best player and the comments there was encouraging, but it was written in Russian language so you guys would not really understand here cheesy I also spy on the Croatian team and fan zone to understand there weaknesses and strength, I will be a very big assets for you guys here and I don't even ask for any form of appreciation embarassed
lmao
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:12pm On Mar 12, 2018
somehow:
Just imagine there was no live coverage. The players sometimes forget to play football.
. Exactly. And to think some1 once called our SE new style of play 'gra gra' football. grin They should watch more NPFL matches to see what that term really means.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 12:20pm On Mar 12, 2018
congo4ka:
[/size]

can't just get enough of this guy,man is a clown!! grin
congo4ka:
[size=8pt]

can't just get enough of this guy,man is a clown!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:40pm On Mar 12, 2018
tbaba1234:
Oliseh on Fortuna Sittard: ''There has to be some respect and gratitude. They are practically trying to demonize the coach. I have been called a terrorist. I am not happy with the owner. I have a problem with the way Işıtan Gün runs the club. One day I came into the dressing room and there was someone I did not know. I asked: "Who are you?" He told me his name. "I am the new player." I did not know anything about it. I had no idea if he was right footed or left footed, midfielder or goalkeeper. The players are really hardworking. They are hungry. I have a good relationship with them. I want to go back [to Fortuna Sittard]. I want to be champion. I want to finish my work. We also want to be champions; also for my players."
This guy should feature alongside them avengers abeg.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2018
ChrisKels:

Omo it's a very tricky one, but what assures me is that I'm confident in his abilities.
He has had a excellent season In the French league, he has developed immensely and his abilities have shown to be on par with the leagues quality, staying will be more like being in his comfort zone. Nantes Do not have the competitive edge that a player of his talent needs to be exposed to at that top level. he might stay and develop under no pressure and it might all come good for his development it's works for some players.
But if the coach who has demoted him wants him then he's impressed him. With wolves sure to be in the EPL next season it's looks like the perfect combo for me, yes he will have competition but that will only make him better, nothing beats playing regularly in the EPL intensity it would make him develop faster in my opinion, besides he hes a special talent and one that can play for any team in the world in few years.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 1:32pm On Mar 12, 2018
congo4ka:
[size=8pt][/size]

If no be say you dey stalk safarigirl for here, I for like you...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) (2996) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m) and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.