Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,968 members, 7,876,677 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 12:19 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3078) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12008033 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3075) (3076) (3077) (3078) (3079) (3080) (3081) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
Kolarov To Captain Serbia Against Nigeria, Matic Deputy

The head coach of Serbia national team, Mladen Krstajic on Tuesday confirmed that AS Roma left back Alexander Kolarov will captain the side in next week's international friendly at the Hive Stadium in London.
The former Manchester City defender the coach disclosed will be assisted by Manchester United's midfielder Nemanja Matic.
Serbia will play north African opposition Morocco at the Olimpico Stadium in Turin on Friday, same day Nigeria are playing Poland, before facing the Super Eagles in London next Tuesday.
According to Serbian website, kurir.rs , former team captain Branislav Ivanovic who plays for Lokomotiv Moscow, may not make the Serbian squad for the World Cup in Russia.
“The captain of the national team will be Kolarov, and his deputy Matic.That’s my idea. I talked to former captain Ivanovic,” Krstajic is quoted by kurir.rs.
“He gave a lot to the national team and he remains with us. I spoke with Branislav openly, and these are some things that are solved internally," the coach said about the former Chelsea defender.
Speaking ahead of the game against Nigeria, Krstajic revealed that he will not alter his formation against Gernot Rohr's team but will bring in some new players.
“I do not hide the game system, but it will not change in relation to the previous one. Only some players will change.
“The most important thing is to make a good atmosphere, every match is important for us, because Serbia expects the best of us. We live in a country that is hungry for success.”

**Izuchukwu Okosi
Photo Credit : fss.rs

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27023

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 85 days 18 hours 33 mins to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Because of their relationship, no
you're just hovering round the bush..

you should be concerned on elderson making the cut...because right now..
Aina and idowu seems to be better...
when it is talked on...taking the best legs to Russia....your thought should be centered on how elderson gonna make the list...if merit was to be pursued and not this two cute lads...playing good football

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:38pm On Mar 20, 2018
Humility017:

you're just hovering round the bush..

you should be concerned on elderson making the cut...because right now..
Aina and idowu seems to be better...
when it is talked on...taking the best legs to Russia....your thought should be centered on how elderson gonna make the list...if merit was to be pursued and not this two cute lads...playing good football
This is exactly what I'm driving at. That's why I mentioned the best legs making the cut and not because some certain players are good friends.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:40pm On Mar 20, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
This is exactly what I'm driving at. That's why I mentioned the best legs making the cut and not because some certain players are good friends.

sometimes you need team bond and spirit to make things happen in a tourney like the world cup.....not necessarily just talents...
when there is team spirit and good relationships amongst players....it makes for a good play on the field...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 9:43pm On Mar 20, 2018
Humility017:

sometimes you need team bond and spirit to make things happen in a tourney like the world cup.....not necessarily just talents...
when there is team spirit and good relationships amongst players....it makes for a good play on the field...
One of those boys will be dropped for Elderson but I really don't see him as a starter in Russia...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:47pm On Mar 20, 2018
Certitude:

One of those boys will be dropped for Elderson but I really don't see him as a starter in Russia...
I pray this does not happen....
I will seriously blame rohr for this...ineptitude

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:48pm On Mar 20, 2018
Certitude:

Very likely, very very likely
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:48pm On Mar 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

Yes, but we need to learn to play without Mikel. If Mikel is suspended in the WC, we have to replace him. I think, this match is a good opportunity to try options.

I don't know how it has happened but just like JJay, Kanu, Yekini, etc we have never found any one to replace those players.

Mikel has no replacement he is for us as Messi is to Barca.

There have been many pretenders but no one worthy yet. I remember Rabui Ibrahim showed so much promise was even in the Top 50 most talented teenage footballers. But has sadly faded away.

So what's the point or playing without him we know what the implication will be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 9:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
Certitude:

why ? Elderson presently is like a time bomb ... anytime he can detonate grin the guy done crack

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:53pm On Mar 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Very likely, very very likely

How?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:56pm On Mar 20, 2018
komekn:

I don't know how it has happened but just like JJay, Kanu, Yekini, etc we have never found any one to replace those players.

There have been many pretenders but no one worthy yet. I remember Rabui Ibrahim showed so much promise was even in the Top 50 most talented teenage footballers. But has sadly faded away.

So what's the point or playing without him we know what the implication will be.

God will bless you till your last day my brother. Shows you're really an intellectual fellow...

I have been wondering in astonishment as folks here keep uttering there pleasure about Mikels absence for the game. Mikel has not replacement as far as this current team is concerned. Its a fact.... So why why leave him out and make the team suffer in a match unnecessarily when there's not even a pretender in sight??!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:00pm On Mar 20, 2018
Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr has argued that two of the most influential players in his squad, John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses, cannot single-handedly decide the outcome of matches at the World Cup as they are not in the same category as Super Eagles stars of the 90s.
The German coach admitted that the current squad is not as strong as the 90s team, who qualified for the second round of the World Cup twice in a row, defeated Spain and was close to eliminating Italy at USA 1994.
''We do not have such great players as Kanu or Okocha, who then shone, but the strength of this team is the team work,'' said Rohr to
Przegląd Sportowy.
''Our captain Obi Mikel or Victor Moses are not the players who will decide the fate of the game themselves, like the stars from the 90s.''
Victor Moses was Nigeria's top scorer with three goals during the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, followed by Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi with two goals each, and Rohr says he is concerned about the absence of a top finisher in the team ahead of the mundial.
He said : ''We really do not have an effective striker, but we have other good players like - Iwobi, Kelechi, Obi Mikel, Ighalo - they are also able to score goals.''

source allnigeriasoccer.com

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:03pm On Mar 20, 2018
As I just log in now, na picture I de find up and down. I no kuku read comments.

Weldone to everyone who have been posting the pictures. You guys are the real deal.

But wait, where is our Joel Obi and Victor Moses?

I sight you @ mon ami Mikron.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
Humility017:

So what does the team bonding have to do with their friendship? There's team bonding present the team already bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 10:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Picture they say, tell a thousand word

I love this mehn

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:09pm On Mar 20, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
God will bless you till your last day my brother. Shows you're really an intellectual fellow...

I have been wondering in astonishment as folks here keep uttering there pleasure about Mikels absence for the game. Mikel has not replacement as far as this current team is concerned. Its a fact.... So why why leave him out and make the team suffer in a match unnecessarily when there's not even a pretender in sight??!

So what will happen if he isn't available? The South African game readily comes to mind sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:09pm On Mar 20, 2018
komekn:

we are not doubting Mikel's important to the team, his our camptain but football is a team sport is not even about the 11 players on the pitch, you can win games with good replacement on your bench

During the late 19s and early 2000s, our best player was okocha, but we had an oruma, we also had agali who is always ready to come in for kanu, Mikel absent now is a blessing

Remember Korea Japan 2002, zidane absent distrupt the French team, because of over reliance on him

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:11pm On Mar 20, 2018
AIG07:
As I just log in now, na picture I de find up and down. I no kuku read comments.

Weldone to everyone who have been posting the pictures. You guys are the real deal.

But wait, where is our Joel Obi and Victor Moses?

I sight you @ mon ami Mikron.

Y is everybody looking for Joel obi pictures like a new moon to commence the ramadhan fast grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:12pm On Mar 20, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
So what does the team bonding have to do with their friendship? There's team bonding present the team already bro

Oga stop this thing you are doing to your self, you dey make shame catch me

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2018
komekn:

The point of learning how to play without him is to avoid turning the SE into an Argentine team. The reason why I don't like a one man's team. When the "most important" player is unavailable or didn't come to the party on match day, the team crumbles like a pack of cards. SA game taught me so many lessons. A PLAYER WILL NOT " ALWAYS" BE AVAILABLE, so be prepared for any eventuality
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:22pm On Mar 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

How?
If Rohr picks Elderson one of Aina or Ebuehi will be dropped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:22pm On Mar 20, 2018
Martz101:

Oga stop this thing you are doing to your self, you dey make shame catch me
LoL... I always stress about what's right bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

That Mikel has no replacement does not mean that the team should not and cannot play without him. Like tbaba1234 opined now is a good time to even try playing without him. Some of the big boys were not around against Argentina. We didn't die. Sometimes it's better to test your weakness so that you know what your baseline is

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

If Rohr picks Elderson one of Aina or Ebuehi will be dropped.

That is still an 'if'.. Elderson is not getting games in Belgium division 2.

Aina and Ebuehi are playing regularly in better leagues.. Unless Elderson can show great form in camp, i would not be surprised if he is dropped

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:33pm On Mar 20, 2018
Aina and Ebuehi

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:33pm On Mar 20, 2018
Awaziem

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
Clementoke:

So what will happen if he isn't available? The South African game readily comes to mind sir
The point is: Searching for a direct alternative or replacement for Mikel in this present crop of players is more or less like a waste of time. So Mikel shouldn't be left out of the team because of procuring another capable personnel in respect of his role but his unavailability for a game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:40pm On Mar 20, 2018
tbaba1234:
Uzoho & kelechi

Na skirt KC wear so??

Loll
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:47pm On Mar 20, 2018
Mikel to miss Poland friendly?

Has the Super Eagles evolve enough to survive with out John Obi Mikel? There is only one way to find answer to this question. Playing without Mikel. A game against Poland should be a perfect TEST for the young eagles.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
The point is: Searching for a direct alternative or replacement for Mikel in this present crop of players is more or less like a waste of time. So Mikel shouldn't be left out of the team because of procuring another capable personnel in respect of his role but his unavailability for a game.

Still dodging the question. Is Mikel going to play forever? Whatever happen to getting someone that can take up his role not as an exact substitute but as an alternative when he isn't around, having a bad game or when he retires. It seems some of us haven't learnt our lessons from Okocha's retirement.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 10:51pm On Mar 20, 2018
This our has a lot of potential, I will appreciate if NFF and Nigeria reduce the pressure on them for the world cup, give Rohr a 4 years contract and you will see more wonders.

most of the boys are not even yet in there prime,keeping the core of the players together will make us even stronger in 2022 world cup.

#nopressure

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3075) (3076) (3077) (3078) (3079) (3080) (3081) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.