Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,378 members, 7,894,597 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 12:20 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3499) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12109769 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3496) (3497) (3498) (3499) (3500) (3501) (3502) ... (16446) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:00pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Dejan lovren bro ?
yes and other guy based in Turkey.. a blonde.. forgotten his name now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:04pm On May 11, 2018
asha80:
errm.. yekini back then was from a below average Portuguese team too

Victoria setubal of 1990-1994 someone was busy scoring any how in Portugal and you expect him not to be invited,yekini scored 90 league games in 114 games,bros this is a difference scenario.

Someone that won African player of the year in 1993 and you expect him not to be called for the 94 World Cup?

Stop comparing that year and now ,and the last time I checked pele never played in Europe to be called one of the greatest,we all know such can't happen now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:07pm On May 11, 2018
asha80:
yes and other guy based in Turkey.. a blonde.. forgotten his name now

Vedran Corluka of lokomotiv Moscow ? He just helped them in winning the Russia league he also played for Tottenham then,and he has 97 caps for their national team,and also their right back is first choice at athletico

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Yeah I also bless God you are not the coach because if you are Cyril dessers will captain super eagles
CYRIL DESSERS!!!!!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 8:11pm On May 11, 2018
Iheanacho made the Premier League team of the Week

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:18pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Lol thank you for telling us it's u23 all African games
and where do players progress into the main team....?
he progressed well and played his heart against Algeria...
that first impression sold him to rohr...
often we blame komekn for belittling other leagues aside the epl and here you're belittling a Portuguese league club.... if the npfl players can make the super eagles team..what forbid a player plying his trade in a better more organised league and well rated foptball nation from getting super eagles call up?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:20pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Victoria setubal of 1990-1994 someone was busy scoring any how in Portugal and you expect him not to be invited,yekini scored 90 league games in 114 games,bros this is a difference scenario.

Someone that won African player of the year in 1993 and you expect him not to be called for the 94 World Cup?

Stop comparing that year and now ,and the last time I checked pele never played in Europe to be called one of the greatest,we all know such can't happen now
yep but setubal was still below average Portuguese team not so?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:22pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Vedran Corluka of lokomotiv Moscow ? He just helped them in winning the Russia league he also played for Tottenham then,and he has 97 caps for their national team,and also their right back is first choice at athletico
domagoj vida
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:26pm On May 11, 2018
asha80:
yep but setubal was still below average Portuguese team not so?

That's true but you can't compare then and now and mind you yekini was the best in Africa then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:29pm On May 11, 2018
Humility017:

and where do players progress into the main team....?
he progressed well and played his heart against Algeria...
that first impression sold him to rohr...
often we blame komekn for belittling other leagues aside the epl and here you're belittling a Portuguese league club.... if the npfl players can make the super eagles team..what forbid a player plying his trade in a better more organised league and well rated foptball nation from getting super eagles call up?

I be little fierense just the way super eagles coaches has also be little others league like Denmark and even Belgium apart from Simon Moses and onyekuru

I am just making example as you said I belittle others league,I am not saying etebo doesn't deserve call up or others,my opinion is not the coach opinion

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:33pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Because they are average at their warm up doesn't make you see that as an average team,from goal keeper to forwarders Croatia are complete unlike my lovely naija

Having big name players does not translate to a good team. Nigeria qualified top of a group tougher than Croatia's group. Croatia should have easily topped their group if it is by the names of their players. They lost out to Iceland.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:35pm On May 11, 2018
Mickael2:

When it mattered, they destroyed Greece, not some Lithuania(with all due respect to them). Forget warm ups, the real thing starts when the real thing starts

They should have topped their group if it was by big names...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:37pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

I be little fierense just the way super eagles coaches has also be little others league like Denmark and even Belgium apart from Simon Moses and onyekuru

I am just making example as you said I belittle others league,I am not saying etebo doesn't deserve call up or others,my opinion is not the coach opinion
I don't think rohr belittle other leagues it has to do with how well the players impressed him and what they have to offer the team...
because if your assertion was true...don't think someone like shehu in lowly Cyprus will even get a looked in let alone a call up....

some of these players it depends on how well they grabbed the opportunity...
I remember when imoh Ezekiel was called by rohr...he never impressed him...me too wasn't surprised because I saw how individualistic he was during the Olympics and I sure know...he gonna show same character to rohr.....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:38pm On May 11, 2018
edi287:

I tell you. It will do over confidence a whole world of good.
Over confidence in what sense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:39pm On May 11, 2018
tbaba1234:

Having big name players does not translate to a good team. Nigeria qualified top of a group tougher than Croatia's group. Croatia should have easily topped their group if it is by the names of their players. They lost out to Iceland.

But they qualified for the World Cup ?

Please stop judging with sentiment,top group or not the team that qualify with play off might win the World Cup,Croatia qualified for the World Cup so stop using sentiment.

If I remember during the euro 2016 Portugal qualified as 3rd from their group Behind Iceland which they qualified as best looser and they end up winning the cup,didn't France top their group?

Stop judging football in a Nigerian way

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:42pm On May 11, 2018
Humility017:

I don't think rohr belittle other leagues it has to do with how well the players impressed him and what they have to offer the team...
because if your assertion was true...don't think someone like shehu in lowly Cyprus will even get a looked in let alone a call up....

some of these players it depends on how well they grabbed the opportunity...
I remember when imoh Ezekiel was called by rohr...he never impressed him...me too wasn't surprised because I saw how individualistic he was during the Olympics and I sure know...he gonna show same character to rohr.....

Please remind me when Imo Ezekiel was called up by rohr and the game he played ?

Imoh Ezekiel has 1 cap for naija and its 2014 comming as a 2nd half sub for victor moses in a friendly against Mexico,so tell me when did rohr call him up because Keshi was the coach then.

I guess rohr has not seen Paul onachu in Denmark because that guy has not been bad and I am not saying he should be invited I am just making an example
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:44pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Please remind me when Imo Ezekiel was called up by rohr and the game he played ?

I guess rohr has not seen Paul onachu in Denmark because that guy has not been bad and I am not saying he should be invited I am just making an example
after the Olympics...he was among those called up by rohr.
and for Paul...we all here know that rohr is a very conservative coach and also the RSA loss taught him a big lesson reason why he retreats on his gradual inclusion of young lads into the team....

Paul will get his time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:47pm On May 11, 2018
Humility017:

and for Paul...we all here know that rohr is a very conservative coach and also the RSA loss taught him a big lesson reason why he retreats on his gradual inclusion of young lads into the team....

Paul will get his time.

Call up by rohr and no game time ?how is that a chance ?

Sure Paul time will come
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:50pm On May 11, 2018
Truidstar:

CYRIL DESSERS!!!!!!!!
Forget this your dessers, he's going nowhere. He might not even get one cap for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:54pm On May 11, 2018
asha80:
domagoj vida

That's true Vida plays for besiktas

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:55pm On May 11, 2018
tbaba1234:

You're spot on.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:56pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

But they qualified for the World Cup ?

Please stop judging with sentiment,top group or not the team that qualify with play off might win the World Cup,Croatia qualified for the World Cup so stop using sentiment.

If I remember during the euro 2016 Portugal qualified as 3rd from their group Behind Iceland which they qualified as best looser and they end up winning the cup,didn't France top their group?

Stop judging football in a Nigerian way

Sentiments?? What exactly is a Nigerian way??

The best names does not translate to the best team... That is not sentiment.

Germany for instance is more of a team than many star players..

For the kind of players they have, Croatia should have breezed through the qualifiers... They didn't..

It does not mean Nigeria beats them but i would not be surprised if we did..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:59pm On May 11, 2018
tbaba1234:

Sentiments?? What exactly is a Nigerian way??

The best names does not translate to the best team... That is not sentiment.

Germany for instance is more of a team than many star players..

For the kind of players they have, Croatia should have breezed through the qualifiers... They didn't..

It does not mean Nigeria beats them but i would not be surprised if we did..

Lols sorry for my words,they breezed through qualifiers but they qualified all are same thing okay

Argentina also breezed through qualifiers,the last World Cup qualifiers I think Spain top their group and they are unbeaten but they went out group stage.

Why will I be surprised if naija beat Croatia ?highest it's a draw this is football and the last time I remember Croatia are not Germany and any team is beatable

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:18pm On May 11, 2018
Humility017:

Paul will get his time.
I think he's right being conservative as the World Cup is nearly upon us. But after the mundial I think in very necessary to start bringing in the outdoor players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:19pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Imoh Ezekiel has 1 cap for naija and its 2014 comming as a 2nd half sub for victor moses in a friendly against Mexico,so tell me when did rohr call him up because Keshi was the coach then.

Imoh was invited for Rohr's first game... He did not meet the mark

Onuachu was supposed to be invited in march but he was injured.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:38pm On May 11, 2018
Mickael2:

you see you do not even know the full story and here you are saying rubbish.

Ideye moved to a new club sometime between 2013 and 2014, somehow he didn't pay his agent his own share of the transfer fee(selfishness). Then when it was time to release the list, the agent contacted Keshi and pointed out what happened, after which Keshi told Ideye to pay up his agent or lose his spot, Ideye didn't pay his agent what he was rightly owing him and he lost his spot, to me that is absolutely fair and balanced. If you have a football competition or quiz competition when I was in the university, if you do not pay your school fees you are out, no matter how good you are and that was what Keshi did, blame here should go to Ideye

That's an issue that should have been decided by a court or FIFA and not loosing a slot at the world cup. Not allowing someone to represent your school because he's owing fees is not a standard practice and shouldn't be used as a reference.
The school I attended wouldn't do that because:
1. You're bringing glory to the school if you win.
2. Your morale could be destroyed if you're not allowed to contest.
3. Ultimately the fees would have to be paid. My school only withhold your result.

If your story is true, Keshi should be condemned by all.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:50pm On May 11, 2018
chrisooblog:
no surprises the black african coach is the least paid smh

Senegal no try at all but at least we don't hear much of them owing the coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:54pm On May 11, 2018
mank1234:

That's an issue that should have been decided by a court or FIFA and not loosing a slot at the world cup. Not allowing someone to represent your school because he's owing fees is not a standard practice and shouldn't be used as a reference.
The school I attended wouldn't do that because:
1. You're bringing glory to the school if you win.
2. Your morale could be destroyed if you're not allowed to contest.
3. Ultimately the fees would have to be paid. My school only withhold your result.

If your story is true, Keshi should be condemned by all.
He even typed it confidently very dirty talk, what's the coach business if his player is owing his agent money? FIFA have a way of handling issues like this. that excuse is very lame and doesn't hold water. funny enough it's the same as what D bull said coaches shouldn't be agent or too close to agent, it could ruin things

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:01pm On May 11, 2018
andrew444:

Shehu is a bursaspor player in turkey even moussa sow of Senegal is there and he is making the Senegal squad,naija no get keeper oo abi u no dey watch ball ? Oya tell me naija keeper wey dey for the top 7 league in Europe none.

For you to say musa played for U23 then you are he biggest joker,the last time I check musa played 9 Russia premier league games and scored 5 goals ,Na so u take hate musa reach ?

Musa was getting super eagles call up even after he was totally demoted to the Leicester reserve... And Etebo is now at Las Palmas (on loan though)
His form prior to the March friendlies could have earned him a start ahead of Ogu and Joel if not for the injury..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:03pm On May 11, 2018
Edopesin:

Iceland 23-Man World Cup Squad

Goalkeepers (3) : Hannes Thor Halldórsson (Randers FC), Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson (Nordsjælland), Frederik Schram (Roskilde)
Defenders (cool : Birkir Már Sævarsson (Valur), Ragnar Sigurðsson (Rostov),Kári árnason (Aberdeen), Ari Freyr
Skúlason (Lokeren), Sverrir Ingi Ingason (Rostov), Hörður Björgvin Magnússon (Bristol City), Samuel Kári Fridriðsson (Valerenga), Hólmar örn Eyjólfsson (Levski Sofia)
Midfielders (cool : Aaron Einar Gunnarsson (Cardiff), Gyfi þór Sigurðsson (Everton), Emil Hallfreðsson (Udinese), Birkir Bjarnason (Aston Villa), Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson (Burnley), ólafur Ingi Skúlason (Karabukspor), Arnór Ingvi Traustason (Malmö), Rúrik Gíslason (Sandhausen)
Strikers (4) : Alfreð Finnbogason (Augsburg), Jón Daði Böðvarsson (Reading), Björn Bergmann Sigurðarson (Rostov), Albert Gudmundsson (PSV Eindhoven)

I can see Sirgudsson on the list.. Seems like he will recover in time for the WC
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:09pm On May 11, 2018
Etebo was one of the first players Rohr inquired about on assuming the SE job because of the player’s exploits at the olympics. However he was injured at that time.
Etebo will most likely make the 23 man list. Will he start? His performance in the friendlies to come will determine.

andrew444:

Etebo is lucky to be in the super eagles because if I am super eagles coach I will not call a player from a below average Portugal team like fierense
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:22pm On May 11, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Senegal no try at all but at least we don't hear much of them owing the coach

What's up with Dis salary of a thing na,if d coach no dey OK with am,e no go collect d job in d first place

Marcello Lippi been paid d highest wage as a national coach,wetin d guy Don achieve with d Chinese national team?

(1) (2) (3) ... (3496) (3497) (3498) (3499) (3500) (3501) (3502) ... (16446) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: robosky02(m), TheSuperNerd(m), skallion7(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.