Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,140 members, 7,887,301 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:18 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3606) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12063240 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3603) (3604) (3605) (3606) (3607) (3608) (3609) ... (16430) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:37pm On May 21, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I have no problem with that. My point is that a lot of people followed Euro leagues in the 90's. Even though it is a few percentage, that few percentage is a big number of people.

The statement that people claiming that they followed Euro leagues in the nineties is true.

It might not be a large percentage but they were those following.

Arguing that a lot of people did not have access does not change the point that there were people following.

Baba ye mu iro le grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:38pm On May 21, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Alloy: We Will Select Super Eagles World Cup Goalkeepers On Merit
May 21, 2018 9:57 am

Super Eagles goalkeeper trainer, Alloy Agu, insists the four goalkeepers in the team’s 30-man provisional squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia will get equal opportunity to prove their worth, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

The quartet of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Daniel Akpeyi, Francis Uzoho and Dele Ajiboye will vie for the three slots reserved for goalkeepers in the final 23-man squad.

Ezenwa, Uzoho and Akpeyi were called up for the team’s last four games against Algeria, Argentina, Poland and Serbia.

Ajiboye, who was outstanding for Plateau United in their title success in the Nigeria Professional Football League last season, was also part of the team in some of the qualifying games.

He is seen by many as having little chance of making the final squad to Russia having been overlooked by handler of the side, Gernot Rohr in recent times.

But Alloy, who was part of the Super Eagles squad in Nigeria’s debut in the FIFA World Cup at the USA 1994 said the selection will be done fair and square.

“Everything will be done on merit. We are lucky to have these quality goalkeepers in the team at the moment and we will give them equal chance to show what they can do,” Alloy told CSN.

“I don’t support the view that there is a favourite among the four or that we already know the three that will go with the team to Russia.

“I know they all want to be in Russia which will make them give their all in training. That itself is good for the team as it will give us the opportunity to pick the best for the team.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/alloy-we-will-select-super-eagles-world-cup-goalkeepers-on-merit/

Dey deceive yourself.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:38pm On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

There is difference between following and following live on Satellite TV. As I said we followed champions league live on AIT and also CUP finals like the English FA cup. But most did not follow the typical weekend live English/German/ Spanish league games.

Those that had these devices did. I was not a football head in those days, if not I would have followed up then. My neighbors had these devices and they were rampant. Euro league is small. We were watching Michael Chan and Agassi live. Watching a young Tiger Woods live. Following OJ Simpson trial live. We had footie heads then that will be talking about Italian League matches.

That is my point. Not every body following.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:39pm On May 21, 2018
forgiveness:

Agu played more part in our qualification more than Etebor and Ogu.

Ogu played 90 and Etebo played 90 minutes against Algeria, Agu was always coming in late and did not impress

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:41pm On May 21, 2018
asha80:
the weather will not be much an issue to players though

the weather might not be an issue but Musa and Idowu won't have any problem with what the weather trow at them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:42pm On May 21, 2018
Joebie:
Na wa for u o!!!
I beg go watch Musa of recent in CSKA well well. Watch Musa against Argentina. Watch Musa against Barca (Leicester).. abi na only Suya u think say he fit bring to the dining table?

lol the suya part got me laughing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:42pm On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Convert the many people you talk about to percentage and you will see it hardly up to 1%. That has been my point.

And if the one percent claim they were following Euro Leagues in the nineties, will you say they are not saying the truth? That is my point. It is a very minute percentage that make that claim.

I was not a footie head until 1998 and I still watched FA Cup final between Liverpool and Manchester United live on a Multichoice device. When Cantona scored the winning screamer, there was an echo in my area. Many were watching live.

We played ball after that and the footie heads were laughing at some of us that we now know Cantona.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:43pm On May 21, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Those that had these devices did. I was not a football head in those days, if not I would have followed up then. My neighbors had these devices and they were rampant. Euro league is small. We were watching Michael Chan and Agassi live. Watching a young Tiger Woods live. Following OJ Simpson trial live. We had footie heads then that will be talking about Italian League matches.

That is my point. Not every body following.

Most of those free to air devices did not show live football matches. We found out when we later got ours.

It was when we started watching on DSTV that we really watched live football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:43pm On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Convert the many people you talk about to percentage and you will see it hardly up to 1%. That has been my point.

I hope you know 1% of 100 million people is a million people, which is a big number.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:44pm On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Emmanuel Amuneke nko?

Excellent player unfortunately robbed of what could have been an excellent career by injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:46pm On May 21, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Iwobi Joins Onazi, Aina, Ekong Uyo, Eagles To Train At 5pm
By Kayode Ogundare in Uyo

The Super Eagles pre-World Cup training camp opened in Uyo on Monday morning and Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi is the latest player to hit the Ibom Meridian Hotel Camp thereby bringing to five the number of players in Camp.

Iwobi joined vice-captain Ogenyi Onazi, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Ola Aina and Bursaspor of Turkey defender William Troost-Ekong as early arrivals.

The Arsenal star touched down at the Ibom International Airport around 12noon aboard a plane from Lagos accompanied by his father Chuka and he was immediately driven off after completing airport formalities.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will have their first feel of the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium turf at 5pm after they would have been boosted by the arrival of other players expected in camp.

According to team co-ordinator Patrick Pascal, coach Gernot Rohr and other members of the technical crew are already present in Uyo and itching to get on with the team’s training programme.

The Super Eagles are expected to trade tackles with the Leopards of Congo D R next Monday in Port Harcourt before proceeding to London where they will play the Three Lions of England at the Wembley Stadium on 2 June.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iwobi-joins-onazi-aina-ekong-uyo-eagles-to-train-at-5pm/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 23 days 23 hours 17 mins to go

dropping Aina won't be fair and won't set a good record ahead

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:46pm On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Most of those free to air devices did not show live football matches. We found out when we later got ours.

I can tell you that CTL cable had a whole lot of sky channels, including sky sports channels. They were other sports channels too.

As I said, me, watched FA Cup final between Liverpool and Manchester United live in 1996. Live. It was after that game I started supporting Manchester United before decamping to Manchester City in 2010.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:47pm On May 21, 2018
We had moved from the estate we use to live by then, we had cable in the mid 90s. But I think I actually watched it on Delta Broadcasting Service. Can’t remember too well..

Modified
I remember we had about 7-8 channels on cable.. I can’t remember if we had a sports channel.

Icon4s:

So did you watch Atlanta 96 football event on Local stations or cable?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:48pm On May 21, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I hope you know 1% of 100 million people is a million people, which is a big number.

That is 1 in every 100 which is a very small number.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:48pm On May 21, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Iwobi Joins Onazi, Aina, Ekong Uyo, Eagles To Train At 5pm
By Kayode Ogundare in Uyo

The Super Eagles pre-World Cup training camp opened in Uyo on Monday morning and Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi is the latest player to hit the Ibom Meridian Hotel Camp thereby bringing to five the number of players in Camp.

Iwobi joined vice-captain Ogenyi Onazi, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Ola Aina and Bursaspor of Turkey defender William Troost-Ekong as early arrivals.

The Arsenal star touched down at the Ibom International Airport around 12noon aboard a plane from Lagos accompanied by his father Chuka and he was immediately driven off after completing airport formalities.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will have their first feel of the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium turf at 5pm after they would have been boosted by the arrival of other players expected in camp.

According to team co-ordinator Patrick Pascal, coach Gernot Rohr and other members of the technical crew are already present in Uyo and itching to get on with the team’s training programme.

The Super Eagles are expected to trade tackles with the Leopards of Congo D R next Monday in Port Harcourt before proceeding to London where they will play the Three Lions of England at the Wembley Stadium on 2 June.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iwobi-joins-onazi-aina-ekong-uyo-eagles-to-train-at-5pm/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 23 days 23 hours 17 mins to go

meanwhile seeing pictures of iwobi always coming in with his dad gives me a picture of him lacking maturity and might actually transit to his game.

common this dude is 21 and should act like a man not a daddy boy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:49pm On May 21, 2018
Martz101:

Ogu played 90 and Etebo played 90 minutes against Algeria, Agu was always coming in late and did not impress

Did Agu play one or two matches? Besides, calculate all the minutes he played in those matches and let us see if it is not more than 90 minutes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:49pm On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Keep in mind that later, those cable channels got decoded. It reached a time people started abandoning them for Multichoice. So it depends on the time when you got it. That was not the trend.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:50pm On May 21, 2018
Joebie:
We had moved from the estate we use to live by then, we had cable in the mid 90s. But I think I actually watched it on Delta Broadcasting Service. Can’t remember too well.

That is not the issue. Did you watch live European leagues football on those cables?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:51pm On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

That is 1 in every 100 which is a very small number.

Less than that ratio will you find making such claims. It is those people I am talking of. It is not every one that claims to follow Euro Leagues in the 90s.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:51pm On May 21, 2018
forgiveness:

Did Agu play one or two matches? Besides, calculate all the minutes he played in those matches and let us see if it is not more than 90 minutes.

is the argument about Agu? why did you pick on that?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:52pm On May 21, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Keep in mind that later, those cable channels got decoded. It reached a time people started abandoning them for Multichoice. So it depends on the time when you got it. That was not the trend.

Those free to air cables only had News, Music and movies channels.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:52pm On May 21, 2018
charlesemeka85:
pinnick has done that already by given rohr a new 2 year deal. regardless of the teams performance rohr is on the right track and i foresee this team doing wonders in the next afcon if they qualify. rohr's positive input in this team is obvious by the way the team qualified in style from one of the toughest groups when no one gave them a chance. i must also commend pinnick and his crew for giving their immerse support to the coaching crew by creating an enabling environment for them to work. for once the interference of agents and God-fatherism which have bedeviled our national team for a long time is now a thing of the past. now players turning out good performances in their various clubs both in the local scene and Europe are given fair chances to prove themselves by inviting them by merit. now we have a coach who makes out to to visit our players in their various clubs to check how they are fairing and also intervene on their behalf when they aren't seeing much playing time.

Really!?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:52pm On May 21, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Joel Obi is not new in the Super Eagles, he has proven himself but the only thing that held him back is his injury woes. An inform Joel Obi who plays in the Seria A will definitely bench Onazi and scare Ndidi to his balls....By the way, he is a better ball player than Ndidi

let him get inform and fit first

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:53pm On May 21, 2018
komekn:

That's an assumption based on what?

It also depends on what you mean by cheating

I know a lot of footballers who have no drama but have drama from multiple women trying to get with them by hook and crook. Making claims where there is none.

It's a question of conviction and character.

Do not judge a book by the presumed cover you put on it. It's a lot different than what you may think.

In addition the expectations and obligations of a quasi marriage i.e. boyfriend and girlfriend are TOTALLY different from a marriage.

Unless you know these guys personally you are essentially looking in the dark without a torchlight.

if you followed the discussion, you would note that I continually mentioned 'suspicion' of the act.

Relationships have ended based on suspicions, marriages too. I think I already made that clear. I also clarified that I am not judging anyone's personality, but the career its self.

Like you said, women throw themselves at these footballers, so, their career puts them in very dangerous positions.

I don tire abeg, I just dey repeat the same thing for three days now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:53pm On May 21, 2018
Martz101:

is the argument about Agu? why did you pick on that?

Because you made it look as if the boy didn't contribute to our qualification. On that, I disagreed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 21, 2018
I ill rather stream this naija VS athletico match than champions league games final..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:56pm On May 21, 2018
Truidstar:

Have seen so many possible. Why is everyone so sure John Ogu will make the final 23.

John ogu is ahead of Etebo from the look of things

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:59pm On May 21, 2018
andrew444:

Simmy Nwankwo will not make it,Moses simon will make it.

As for Echiejile i dont want him to make it but i am scared rohr will take him

Sentiment aside Echiejile is a liability his lack of pace negates any quality experience that he is supposedly bringing to the SE.

Simmy Nwankwo brings brute force when the chips are down and you want to go all out you can go 4-4-2 with Ighalo and Simmy. Add to that we need to have another bonafide striker, he may be the late gate crasher. How well he plays against a physical England will be the decider. Because being physical in Seria A and being physical in the EPL too different ball games.

That's something Moses Simon can not bring he also lacks versatility just the one position on the wing with suspect delivery. And there are quite a few players who can do what he does, he is expendable.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:59pm On May 21, 2018
forgiveness:

Ezenwa going to the WC is based on sentiment. Ajiboye is better than him. I will prefer Ajiboye as the first choice, followed by Daniel and Uzoho.

But Ajiboye could be dropped by that goalkeeper coach.

I really wish Echiejile is in good form because I not sold on Aina and Idowu playing that role but if he is not fit, I don't think it is wise to pick Echiejile.

As it stands, Aina is ahead of Idowu based on his reaction in that last game he replaced Idowu.

The midfield is ok by me.

Now, it is becoming clear to me that we are going to the WC with Ighalo, Musa and Iheanacho as the three strikes because Simon Moses can't be dropped if fit. He is a starter in Rohr's team.

The reason Rohr invited Simy and Lokosa is just to fill the list.

I agree with you on this.

Simy and lakosa will not go to the world cup,if i am the coach and for example iheanacho is injured or ighalo i will not even fix simy or lakosa in,there are there to fill the list just as you have said.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:00pm On May 21, 2018
Already modified

Icon4s:

That is not the issue. Did you watch live European leagues football on those cables?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:00pm On May 21, 2018
komekn:

Sentiment aside Echiejile is a liability his lack of pace negates any quality experience that he is supposedly bringing to the SE.

Simmy Nwankwo brings brute force when the chips are down and you want to go all out you can go 4-4-2 with Ighalo and Simmy. Add to that we need to have another bonafide striker, he may be the late gate crasher. How well he plays against a physical England will be the decider. Because being physical in Seria A and being physical in the EPL too different ball games.

That's something Moses Simon can not bring he also lacks versatility just the one position on the wing with suspect delivery. And there are quite a few players who can do what he does, he is expendable.

Na physical we wan chop? Simy will not go to the world cup jor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:01pm On May 21, 2018
forgiveness:

Because you made it look as if the boy didn't contribute to our qualification. On that, I disagreed.

No sir, i was only talking down on joel obi

(1) (2) (3) ... (3603) (3604) (3605) (3606) (3607) (3608) (3609) ... (16430) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.