Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,810 members, 7,893,129 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 04:18 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3637) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12096740 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3634) (3635) (3636) (3637) (3638) (3639) (3640) ... (16443) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 11:21pm On May 22, 2018
tbaba1234:

Someone will now call this kind of talk 'realism'.

Sir tbaba, one thing you should know is that baseless critcism of the super eagles is the new cool. Most of these guys showing up here today to rant about how we would be disgraced out of the world cup do not know jack about this team. Ask them to list the players going to the world cup and you'll see them running to google. They did not follow the team but they feel the need to criticize because, well, it is 'cool'.

Secondly, most of them are just scared little babies. They criticize because they are scared, which is okay. Even amongst us, about 70% - i inclusive - are scared for the goalkeeping department. The difference is that, we do not let our fears lead us, rather we embrace healthy optimism. These lot do not want to up their expectations and have their hearts broken so they tow the stone-cold path.

In the begining of the football season in europe this season, every reasonable sport follower could tell that a team like chelsea, for instance, was not going to win the champions league. But if you visit the chelsea thread you'll still find folks being optimistic that chelsea would weather the odds and become victorious. Those fans were not reffered to as 'blind patriots' they were hailed as 'true fans' but when it comes to the super eagles, anybody with an iota of optimism becomes a blind patriot and the naysayers become the realists, because, well, it is the super eagles.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:21pm On May 22, 2018
Joebie:
I blame him for the 3rd goal. But that was a beautiful match. I believe we still have some better players out there..

None of the goalkeepers on the list will catch that ball. I repeat none.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:21pm On May 22, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

You’re entitled to enjoy whatever you enjoy.

However, football is not just about tricks and flicks. It’s also a game of purpose, and okocha’s game was purposeless...which was reflected in the way his career turned out in the end
Man is considered a global icon today. How about that for a purposeless career?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:24pm On May 22, 2018
Unlimited22:

In all honesty, there was better cohesion and understanding here than seen in the so-called 'A' team.

Because they allowed us the space. In a match at stack, I don't think there will be much space.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 11:25pm On May 22, 2018
Mujtahida:

Man is considered a global icon today. How about that for a purposeless career?

The only place JayJay is a global icon is on a playstation.

When even the likes of Kanu, Ikpeba,Oliseh and Finidi are sitting, JayJay can hang around...but he has to seat at a different table.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:28pm On May 22, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

The only place JayJay is a global icon is on a playstation.

When even the likes of Kanu, Ikpeba,Oliseh and Finidi are sitting, JayJay can hang around...but he has to seat at a different table.
Lies, fat lies. A globally recognised football icon. Of all the guys you mentioned there only Kanu and Oliseh comes close to the appeal Jay Jay still commands globally today.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:28pm On May 22, 2018
forgiveness:

Blame who for third goal?

D combination of Buffon, courtois,Allisson, wouldn't av parried DT ball cool

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:28pm On May 22, 2018
ChrisKels:

Bia this humility boy, u dey make sense sometimes oo. The bolded is the best truth told by u since today. I love it
chief....I missed the first half... because of work duties. I was able to stream part of the second half online...bro that guy has ball control and eye for good passes...
i don't mind taking him to the world cup...even if he won't get to play much... he can come in replace odugwo mikel whenever he is tired.....
I will prefer him in the 10 role to iwobi...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:29pm On May 22, 2018
elyte89:
Meanwhile DT number 3 sub guy is good cool

A no 3 that went AWOL when the 3rd goal was scored from his position?!,..

Isokay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:30pm On May 22, 2018
Icon4s:

It is a fat lie that J J had an uninspiring career.

Even the great Ronaldinho acknowledged he got inspiration from JJ let alone other Nigerian players.

Like Okocha or not he remains one of Africa's greatest.

I didn't read your comment yet we used the same fat lie expression. Of all our players he's the most globally recognised as at today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:32pm On May 22, 2018
Danielnino00:

Calm down chief.. Every great footballer started from somewhere small..Nwakali isn't the first,neither will he be the list talent to emerge out of Nigeria.. We shouldn't put unnecessary pressure on him at this stage..let him grow biko. its a gradual thing.. too much pressure on a young player can affect them negatively...
The talent is there today,but how far can he go?? Time will tell....
that shouldn't stop him from going to the world cup if he merits it....
I remember James was just in his early twenties in the last world cup where he shines for Colombia... same with sterling he played all the 3 lions matches and now I believe that experience will come handy in these year world cup....
same mistake keshi made for not taking kelechi to last world cup...
so please I will rather take nwakali to any of agbo, agu and even ogu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:32pm On May 22, 2018
elyte89:

Blame who for third goal?

D combination of Buffon, courtois,Allisson, wouldn't av parried DT ball cool

I tire ooooooo. How can he catch that Banana shot?

E wan bend?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:33pm On May 22, 2018
SerVik:

Sir tbaba, one thing you should know is that baseless critcism of the super eagles is the new cool. Most of these guys showing up here today to rant about how we would be disgraced out of the world cup do not know jack about this team. Ask them to list the players going to the world cup and you'll see them running to google. They did not follow the team but they feel the need to criticize because, well, it is 'cool'.

Secondly, most of them are just scared little babies. They criticize because they are scared, which is okay. Even amongst us, about 70% - i inclusive - are scared for the goalkeeping department. The difference is that, we do not let our fears lead us, rather we embrace healthy optimism. These lot do not want to up their expectations and have their hearts broken so they tow the stone-cold path.

In the begining of the football season in europe this season, every reasonable sport follower could tell that a team like chelsea, for instance, was not going to win the champions league. But if you visit the chelsea thread you'll still find folks being optimistic that chelsea would weather the odds and become victorious. Those fans were not reffered to as 'blind patriots' they were hailed as 'true fans' but when it comes to the super eagles, anybody with an iota of optimism becomes a blind patriot and the naysayers become the realists, because, well, it is the super eagles.

You Sir, are the Governor! Well said!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:33pm On May 22, 2018
Icon4s:

The Main Super Eagles team will tear this Athletico team to shreds. Take that from me.
Overhyped hipsters

Okoro Osas is better than this hipsters oooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:35pm On May 22, 2018
Icon4s:

Some dudes are funny sha. Just because of this game that we even lost they have started saying all sorts of things.

Anyways I am not surprised.
We are so fickle. Very depressing that men cannot have staying power. Every wind they change position. High they go high. Low they go low.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:39pm On May 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Nigerian Can Only Beat Croatia With Counter Attack – Coach

Tomislav Obradovic, the coach of Croatia national team, has revealed that the only way the Super Eagles could defeat his team when both sides meet at the 2018 World Cup in Russia would be through counter attacks, boasting that there is no way Nigeria could overcome them.

Both Nigeria and Croatia will go head-to-head at the Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad on June 16, 2018 and the coach is optimistic that they would see off Nigeria, saying that in the Super Eagles, there are several players in the team with the same characteristics.

Obradovic was coach of the Rwandan U-20 National Team for two and a half years, and he almost qualified the country for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Asked to compare Nigeria’s offensive players Iwobi and Chelsea’s Victor Moses, Obradovic told Sportske Novosti: “Compare all of them with their characteristics? Everyone is similar and quick, good within a group. But where are the world-class players?

“It’s probably quite enough, but as a team I do not think they have world-class quality. Why do I say that? They have too many players with the same characteristics.

“They cannot beat Croatia. Not in one segment of the game. Neither technical, tactical, nor organisational, nor in any sense.”

Tomislav Obradovic warned the Croatian team that Nigeria’s counter attack could be dangerous because they have fast players.
“The only way they can outsmart us is if they threaten us from the counterattack because they have such players, quick, fast.
“We have to hold the ball, wait and play our organised football because we are better, disciplined, stronger on the ball, better one on one,” Obradovic boasted.

http://247ureports.com/nigerian-can-only-beat-croatia-with-counter-attack-coach/

Hmmmmm! The bolded is almost true looking at the midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:39pm On May 22, 2018
Icon4s:

Yekini was our greatest striker

Tell me which big Club he played.
Finishing

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:43pm On May 22, 2018
I meant to say 2nd goal.
forgiveness:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 11:45pm On May 22, 2018
Mujtahida:

Lies, fat lies. A globally recognised football icon. Of all the guys you mentioned there only Kanu and Oliseh comes close to the appeal Jay Jay still commands globally today.

If you weren't Nigerian or aren't of a certain age bracket (25 and above) you probably wouldn't even have heard of him.

The club's he played for were entrant Frankfurt, fernabache, psg, Bolton and hull.

you'd need to have pretty niche football knowledge to know a player who played at these middling clubs in the 90s and mid naughties.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:51pm On May 22, 2018
neezar:

even our world cup squad won't win Iceland

I can bet my money on that

Please Senegal is available.... You can support them and leave Nigeria alone

Thank you

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:56pm On May 22, 2018
grin grin

The way Nike Officials were looking at the fans in the crowd at the stadium wearing the "new" Nigerian jersey that they have not released officially to the public....

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:59pm On May 22, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Exactly it is just about the player. But imagine having Samuel on the right side of today's attack. We have so much talent right now.

I do not believe, it is because of player.. It was a great goal but if he missed it, we would have queried him for not taking the chance earlier. We still celebrate the goal. It was a beauty.

Chukwueze created a chance out of nothing.. Usman already had a chance that could have been taken earlier and took extra touches. Thankfully, it came off.

You are right, We have a lot of talent. I hope, we mange it properly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 12:01am On May 23, 2018
there is surely more to this AS Roma handle hyping and following Nigeria https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/999010841822408705?s=19
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:02am On May 23, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

If you weren't Nigerian or aren't of a certain age bracket (25 and above) you probably wouldn't even have heard of him.

The club's he played for were entrant Frankfurt, fernabache, psg, Bolton and hull.

you'd need to have pretty niche football knowledge to know a player who played at these middling clubs in the 90s and mid naughties.

This is false..

Okocha is well known globally. I have asked by strangers in the US about Okocha, Kanu and even Amokachi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 12:07am On May 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

This is false..

Okocha is well known globally. I have asked by strangers in the US about Okocha, Kanu and even Amokachi.

I will hazard a guess and say the people asking about Okocha were not younger than 25.

And the fact that they are asking rather than discussing rather bolsters my point...

I doubt you will go to Poland today and start 'asking' about Lewandowski.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:09am On May 23, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

bruv the peak of his career came at Bolton ffs.

compare JayJay to his mates like Finidi, Kanu, Oliseh, Ikpeba etc and you'll notice that he never even played at clubs at the same level these guys at their peak.

Okocha was playing in Europe with Eintracht Frankfurt, Fenerbache and PSG. Eintracht Frankfurt was a top 5 side in Germany when Okocha was there.

In fact, Bolton was the first time Okocha was playing for a club that was not fighting for the league title.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:14am On May 23, 2018
Breaking news

Argentina first choice gk, Sergio Romero ruled out of the World cup. #Official
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:15am On May 23, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

I will hazard a guess and say the people asking about Okocha were not younger than 25.

And the fact that they are asking rather than discussing rather bolsters my point...

I doubt you will go to Poland today and start 'asking' about Lewandowski.

Bros, you are reaching and clutching at straws.

How many people today know about the Van Basten, Zico, Gerd Muller, etc? If you are not Pele or Maradona, only football people will know you. Anyone with a knowledge of football knows Jay-Jay.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 12:16am On May 23, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
A striker but not a typical one. Best described as a supporting striker.

where will a so called supporting striker play in our team set up?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 12:17am On May 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

Bros, you are reaching and clutching at straws.

How many people today know about the Van Basten, Zico, Gerd Muller, etc? If you are not Pele or Maradona, only football people will know you. Anyone with a knowledge of football knows Jay-Jay.
Will you compare his career to that of, say, Yaya Toure?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:17am On May 23, 2018
Algerian league top scorer Oussama Darfalou has signed a 3-year contract with Hamburg.

This is the kind of moves, i want to see Nigerian top scorers making.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:18am On May 23, 2018
Unlimited22:

Will you compare his career to that of, say, Yaya Toure?

Wait 10 years and much of the younger generation will know nothing about Yaya.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3634) (3635) (3636) (3637) (3638) (3639) (3640) ... (16443) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.