Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,012 members, 7,880,165 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 01:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3909) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12026161 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3906) (3907) (3908) (3909) (3910) (3911) (3912) ... (16407) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:27pm On Jun 04, 2018
Martz101:

how many matches have Ndidi partner ogu ??

keyboard coach

Keyboard coach grin grin grin grin grin grin savage

Martz101,i knw sabi say u bad reach dis level o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by owbabs: 4:27pm On Jun 04, 2018
EEGA:
3 matches, Senegal,Algeria and Argentina.

That midfield combo was not stellar in these games but it was still better than the Onazi - Joel combo we have seen recently.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 4:27pm On Jun 04, 2018
ChrisKels:

If sane was a Nigerian, he would automatically be the best outfield player in the Nigerian fold, so tell me you would be happy if Rohr dropped him for Musa since they play in the same wing.

Be logical, no dey talk like pikin
I won’t b happy but what if baba talk say e no dey him plan grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 4:32pm On Jun 04, 2018
Martz101:

Ndidi with ogu is just 2 matches....Argentina and Algeria, onazi with Ndidi can you count?
It's 3 including the Senegal friendly where Ogu's introduction turned the game to our favour after Onazi got injured in the 20th minute.

In the first 20 mins, Senegal controlled the midfield till Ogu came on to replace an injured Onazi.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:32pm On Jun 04, 2018
Lokosa: I have no regrets missing Russia 2018

On June 4, 20184:44 am

Nigeria Professional Football League hot shot, Junior Lokosa said he was at peace with coach Gernot Rohr’s decision to drop him from the Russia 2018 World Cup tournament. Lokosa Lokosa, a toast of the NPFL fans made his Super Eagles debut against Congo DR during a friendly in Port Harcourt. But he was dropped aongside Ola Aina, Mikel Agu, Stephen Eze, Uche Agbo and Plateau United’s Dele Ajiboye from the squad to Russia.

Having made his international debut against Congo DR, the Kano Pillars man, who has scored 18 goals in 21 games for the Masu Gida Boys this season, is pleased with the experience.

“I am very happy getting a chance to play for the Super Eagles and make my debut against Congo DR,” Lokosa told Goal. “For me, making the provisional squad was a huge lift for my career . “It is not easy to make the 30-player squad because it’s the dream of every Nigerian player. I would have loved to play at the World Cup but God knows best.

“I have no regrets because it was a wonderful experience and I wish to appreciate everyone and my club Kano Pillars for their great support.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/06/lokosa-no-regrets-missing-russia-2018/

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 4:34pm On Jun 04, 2018
elyte89:

Keyboard coach grin grin grin grin grin grin savage

Martz101,i knw sabi say u bad reach dis level o

Bruv some peep here fit make person vex, moreover na onazi cause...i believe his better than how he appeared against England, maybe because he so want an England move.

buh the team first, what ever Rohr can do to maintain that second half tempo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 4:39pm On Jun 04, 2018
Hahahahahahah...beer parlour folks still gnashing their dirty teeth after the England match ? This is just the beginning....Argentina will make diced beef outta you , Iceland will bring the Icelandic volcano and Croatia will take your average team on a swim on the Danube !!! Then will my joy know no bounds as I watch they tears flood here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:40pm On Jun 04, 2018
Toylove:
I won’t b happy but what if baba talk say e no dey him plan grin
You already answered the question. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 4:41pm On Jun 04, 2018
owbabs:

That midfield combo was not stellar in these games but it was still better than the Onazi - Joel combo we have seen recently.

nice observation, joel and onazi messed up but the whole team also did...are you sure is about our midfield 2, and why is no one pointing at mikel for the first half collapse.

His the captain, i was expecting a lot of verbal and body language in that first half, i was expecting alot not just play wise...i see other team captain shout on some players messing up.

I still believe the collapse in the first half was more mental and rohr second half talk did the magic.

Rohr and mikel need to talk more during the match

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 4:42pm On Jun 04, 2018
owbabs:

Against Algeria and Senegal they played without Mikel so it's understandable.We have never lost a match with that combo.

We lost against SA and Serbia by two goals to nil with Onazi-Ndidi combo.

I don't know why it's too difficult for us to accept that Onazi-Ndidi combo doesn't yield the best of results and is not better than Ogu-Ndidi.

The test for the two combo is the absence of Mikel.

How have they fared without him?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naughtytboy: 4:48pm On Jun 04, 2018
Afobear:
Hahahahahahah...beer parlour folks still gnashing their dirty teeth after the England match ? This is just the beginning....Argentina will make diced beef outta you , Iceland will bring the Icelandic volcano and Croatia will take your average team on a swim on the Danube !!! Then will my joy know no bounds as I watch they tears flood here
keep shot, ur Fucking black stars couldn't qualify

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:51pm On Jun 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

So it is ok for any of our players to just stand and not help defend? Do we have Messi in this squad?

The defensive midfielder's Primary role is to shield the defence and cover gaps created in the defence due to marking players. As soon as the defensive midfielder is not doing this, the team is in trouble, especially against technical sides that are Quick in finding gaps and exploiting it.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:52pm On Jun 04, 2018
We are not blessed with the luxury of plethora of world class players with quality depth as the Europeans and other big footballing nations, Either of Germany and Belgium can drop any big player without feeling it unlike Nigeria, so, you lot shouting upandan citing those top countries, in a bid to backup ur claims that Rohr's judgement is justified, should have your brains examined because those excuses are preposterous, it lacks substance and its anaemic.

Most of those guys left out by Germany will craw into our first eleven unscathed, so let's be logical and stop grasping at straws

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 4:54pm On Jun 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

The defensive midfielder's Primary role is to shield the defence and cover gaps created in the defence due to marking players. As soon as the defensive midfielder is not doing this, the team is in trouble, especially against technical sides that are Quick in finding gaps and exploiting it.

oga with that kind of pressure from England,everybody for defend not just the defensive pair

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 4:56pm On Jun 04, 2018
elyte89:

Chairman,if I c my age ,I go knw,me and onazi younger brother be age mate cool

no be like that...some people look older, though onazi is older than 25
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 4:58pm On Jun 04, 2018
komekn:

You haven't answered my question ❓ how many minutes of football did Aina play for the SE to make clear deductions about his ability.

so make i sit down dey calculate Aina minute played in Naija, i no get work be that

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 5:00pm On Jun 04, 2018
EEGA:
Drop deep? What is a player like Joel Obi who starts for Torino doing there? If we are to excuse Onazi that he plays for Trabzonspor.

Experience is really overrated.

We need Ndidi back to starting line-up with Etebo(where pace is necessary) or Ogu make those two wey dey look for who go cover them go rest.

football is not about each player doing there own business, they all need to defend when they are on pressure. i sey see Ronaldo defending abi do we have any ronaldo in our team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:01pm On Jun 04, 2018
Icon79:
Haha!! Trouble maker grin

O pari
na the first way enter my mind be that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:03pm On Jun 04, 2018
Martz101:

how many matches have Ndidi partner ogu ??
keyboard coach
u are wicked.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:07pm On Jun 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Rangers are close to completing a season-long loan deal for Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria. (Source: SkySports)
Great news

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:08pm On Jun 04, 2018
asha80:
:oenugu rangers?
Glasgow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:12pm On Jun 04, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Glasgow
I know of course
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:19pm On Jun 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Rangers are close to completing a season-long loan deal for Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria. (Source: SkySports)

Rangers I guess came second in the Scottish league this past season hence are in Europe, If this move comes to fruition and Ejaria gets reasonable amount of game time, then he might be considered for a place in one of The AFCON qualifiers.

Also I hope Tosin kehinde joins the ligue1 club asking for his signature

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:20pm On Jun 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Is it ok for other players not to run? that was my question.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:24pm On Jun 04, 2018
Injured Salah, Elneny, El Hadary Included In Egypt’s World Cup Squad
June 4, 2018 2:12 pm

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has been included in Egypt’s 23-man squad for the 2018 World Cup despite being injured.
The final 23-man squad was announced on Monday and published on Egypt’s national team verified Twitter handle.

Salah, 25, went off against Real Madrid with a shoulder injury in the Champions League final on 26 May following a foul by Sergio Ramos.
It is however reported that Salah will not meet up with his team-mates until 9 June as he continues his recovery.

Also on the list are 45-year-old veteran goalkeeper Essam Elhadary, Arsenal’s Mohamed Elneny, Ahmed Hegazy of West Bromwich Albion and Aston Villa’s Ahmed Elmohamady.
Egypt’s opening World Cup fixture is against Uruguay on 15 June.

They will meet hosts Russia on 19 June and conclude their campaign in Group A against Saudi Arabia on 25 June.

Egypt’s final 23-man squad:
Essam El Hadary
Sherif Fathi
Mohamed Elshenawy
Ahmed Fathi
Mahmoud Shikabala
Ahmed Elmohamady
Abdalla Elsaeid
Mohamed Abdelshafy
Ahmed Hegazy
Mohamed Elneny
Mohamed Salah
Marwan Mohsen
Omar Gaber
Saad Samir
Tarek Hamed
Mahmoud Kahraba
Mahmoud Treziguet
Aly Gabr
Ramadan Sobhy
Amr Warda
Ayman Ashrat
Sam Moursy
Mahmoud Elwensh

Injured Salah, Elneny, El Hadary Included In Egypt’s World Cup Squad
June 4, 2018 2:12 pm

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has been included in Egypt’s 23-man squad for the 2018 World Cup despite being injured.
The final 23-man squad was announced on Monday and published on Egypt’s national team verified Twitter handle.

Salah, 25, went off against Real Madrid with a shoulder injury in the Champions League final on 26 May following a foul by Sergio Ramos.

It is however reported that Salah will not meet up with his team-mates until 9 June as he continues his recovery.

Also on the list are 45-year-old veteran goalkeeper Essam Elhadary, Arsenal’s Mohamed Elneny, Ahmed Hegazy of West Bromwich Albion and Aston Villa’s Ahmed Elmohamady.

Egypt’s opening World Cup fixture is against Uruguay on 15 June.
They will meet hosts Russia on 19 June and conclude their campaign in Group A against Saudi Arabia on 25 June.

Egypt’s final 23-man squad:
Essam El Hadary
Sherif Fathi
Mohamed Elshenawy
Ahmed Fathi
Mahmoud Shikabala
Ahmed Elmohamady
Abdalla Elsaeid
Mohamed Abdelshafy
Ahmed Hegazy
Mohamed Elneny
Mohamed Salah
Marwan Mohsen
Omar Gaber
Saad Samir
Tarek Hamed
Mahmoud Kahraba
Mahmoud Treziguet
Aly Gabr
Ramadan Sobhy
Amr Warda
Ayman Ashrat
Sam Moursy
Mahmoud Elwensh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:24pm On Jun 04, 2018
somehow:
He came into the team based on the fact that he can play LB, he plays LB for this club too as far as i am aware.

BTW, Idowu is also a right footed player and play mostly as CB for his club, yet he's done well playing as LB. what do you say about that?

Idowu has mainly played RB, LB and LWB at club level through his career. He played CB this season but that is not his main position
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:27pm On Jun 04, 2018
Onazi on his performance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2018
Martz101:

oga with that kind of pressure from England,everybody for defend not just the defensive pair

They ask him to sit back but expect people to be forming Messi. If everybody is working defensively it would allow him the opportunity to sit back but as it is now the guy is expected to win back every single ball. There were balls that all our players needed to do was stretch out a leg but that just lazily watched them go by. Nobody can hide from the fact that Onazi was poor yesterday but to ignore common logic just to prove that point can be deadly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:43pm On Jun 04, 2018
One thing Gernot Rohr still doesn't get enough credit for is his ability to switch tactics at will and change the game completely. Argentina didn't knew what hit them at the second half of our friendly. It was like they were playing a totally different team. The same thing happened in the second half against England although we were not able to get over the line this time. It's actually refreshing to see a coach who knows what to do to change the complexion of the game. It's been a while since I saw such a coach in the Super Eagles set up.

Unfortunately, the World Cup might just be coming a few months too early for Gernot Rohr and his team. I wish that we had an AFCON in March of this year, that would've given Rohr a chance to tweak and refine this team for the World Cup. All in all, let's see what he can do in the next 10 days because this team is NOT yet ready for Russia.

In addition, Rohr needs to have a serious conversation with these FOUR crucial players:
John Obi Mikel - No big man football
Victor Moses - No selfish and aimless dribbling
Alex Iwobi - No childish dilly dallying and more effort at the defensive end
Joel Obi - Quit trying to do too much. Let the game to come to you

If he could get those messages across, then be assured that we'll be fine in Russia.

O pari

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 5:52pm On Jun 04, 2018
Yaya toure on guardiola

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:07pm On Jun 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Is it ok for other players not to run? that was my question.

Onazi should play his role of a defensive shield or leave the position for someone ready to play the role. He is there to cover gaps and not create gaps. He wants others to mop up his mess.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:09pm On Jun 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Onazi should play his role of a defensive shield or leave the position for someone ready to play the role. He is there to cover gaps and not create gaps. He wants others to mop up his mess.

So u are just going to ignore the question? Good teams cover for each other btw.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3906) (3907) (3908) (3909) (3910) (3911) (3912) ... (16407) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: iamdynamite(m), elyte89 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.