Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,945 members, 7,879,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3919) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12025218 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3916) (3917) (3918) (3919) (3920) (3921) (3922) ... (16407) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naughtytboy: 10:57am On Jun 05, 2018
We are going to the world Cup without a psychologist..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:58am On Jun 05, 2018
With the exception of Oliseh,i have not seen a Nigerian player hit long range shots...Karibe Ojigwe tried to do that ...the rest were based on luck..not really talent or practice pitch technique...and constantly powering it....is it difficult to learn?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:58am On Jun 05, 2018
Naughtytboy:
We are going to the world Cup without a psychologist..
some of the technical staff are also versatile, kini?

If the players are versatile, I am sure one of the technical staff or more, would be a good enough psychologist

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:59am On Jun 05, 2018
Martz101:

it was obvious he went to double back with idowu in thw left and the ball came from there, but the qiestion you should ask is where is mikel

yes where is mikel,i can see iwobi...where is the president Mikel

Covering for Idowu would mean taking Idowu's position at the LB, in case Idowu is beaten, he can cover. Going to do Idowu's job and you want to blame Mikel for Onazi leaving his role for others to play it. You can see you are interested in others playing different roles than us playing in an organized fashion. This is why the ship is more stable with Ogu than Onazi.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:00am On Jun 05, 2018
gamaliel9:
With the exception of Oliseh,i have not seen a Nigerian player hit long range shots...Karibe Ojigwe tried to do that ...the rest were based on luck..not really talent or practice pitch technique...and constantly powering it....is it difficult to learn?

me sef tire o our players too do ajebo, dem dey fear and forbid to take shot, ogu tried one against algeria and it was nice goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:00am On Jun 05, 2018
9ja plastic fans i hail una, john ogu is now everyone's darling just because he has not been unfortunate in his few outings for the current eagles setup. the greatest mistake rohr will make is starting ogu and mikel the same time because both are very slow, ogu will perform better when the team is in need of an extra body in midfield or defense when trying to protect a lead. with onazi and joel's shambolic showing against england, our best midfield trio good enough to face the crots are etebo,ndidi and mikel

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:00am On Jun 05, 2018
Martz101:

you choose to close your heart to the truth, when madrid was under pressure from liverpool in the first 20 minute, every one including ronaldo were doing the defensive job, they didnt let casemerio do it alone

it different when a team is hit on a break then the DM need to help the defense before the ball get to them.

England were allover us and 2 DM can't shield that alone, were onazi and noel were even poor was distributing of balls, misplaced pass...they were not out of position.

if you are talking of primary duties, how many Nigeria player did there primary job well in first half...how man forward pass did mikel make, how many crosses did moses make, i didn't see moses in the first 20 minutes, shehu was shaking like he wanna pee, idowu was exposing Balogun, ighalo never did anything positive

Uzoho and Iwobi were the only rare light

All these you are writing is long story. It is clear for all to see. As long as your DMF does not maintain his role, the team loses shape. It is as simple as that. Onazi did not do his primary job. Simple.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:01am On Jun 05, 2018
Martz101:

you choose to close your heart to the truth, when madrid was under pressure from liverpool in the first 20 minute, every one including ronaldo were doing the defensive job, they didnt let casemerio do it alone

it different when a team is hit on a break then the DM need to help the defense before the ball get to them.

England were allover us and 2 DM can't shield that alone, were onazi and noel were even poor was distributing of balls, misplaced pass...they were not out of position.

if you are talking of primary duties, how many Nigeria player did there primary job well in first half...how man forward pass did mikel make, how many crosses did moses make, i didn't see moses in the first 20 minutes, shehu was shaking like he wanna pee, idowu was exposing Balogun, ighalo never did anything positive

Uzoho and Iwobi were the only rare light

Will Oliseh in his life time as a professional footballer ever run out of his position repeatedly in that manner?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:03am On Jun 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

The picture only proves that he had to do a lot of unnecessary running because his teammates were not helping.

grin grin

For the love of God, Onazi should have done his job than getting carried away in doing the job of others. He has caused us this problem of lack of organization because of as you put it, unnecessary running.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 11:07am On Jun 05, 2018
safarigirl:

John Ogu earned his position and he and Balogun, are the two most passionate guys on that team, in my opinion.
I also give it to Alex Iwobi. There's something about British players who decide to play for Nigeria instead. They tend to be very passionate. Iwobi reminds me of Anichebe during his stint with the super eagles.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:10am On Jun 05, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Why didn't people say he wasn't playing to instructions against Cameroon? He played in the exact same fashion. People are running away from the obvious and making up things. First I hear he was pushing forward and now this. Onazi's passing was poor and that was the key to his bad game. He gave away the ball in dangerous positions and one led to a goal.

That is what I have been crying for years. People praise Onazi for his reckless and unnecessary play. Interested in his running up and down. However, against Technical sides that have mastered the art of exploiting gaps, it is catastrophic to the team.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:14am On Jun 05, 2018
forgiveness:
Olodo rabater wants me to believe falsehood.

Mikel Agu – Came on for the injured Onazi but it took him time to get into the game. He was booked for dangerous play but the moment he got into his strides, he settled down and combined well with Ndidi to provide cover for the back-four. Also cut off the attacking threat of Zambia on more than a few occasions. 6/10

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nigeria-1-0-zambia-solid-super-eagles-players-rated/amp/

Rohr Defends Agu, Praises Aina After Nigeria Win Vs Zambia

Peter Oriaku
8 months ago
By Nurudeen Obalola:
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has refused to condemn Mikel Agu after the midfielder’s shocking performance in the 1-0 victory over Zambia in Uyo on Saturday that sealed the Super Eagles’ spot at the Russia 2018 World Cup, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Rohr was however pleased with the contribution of Hull City defender Ola Aina, who made his Nigeria debut as a second-half substitute on Saturday.

Turkey-based Agu came on in the first half for the injured Ogenyi Onazi and put up a performance full of poor touches and misplaced passes that put his teammates under unnecessary pressure.
It’s not easy to come into such an important game for a young player,” Rohr said in Uyo. “Agu did his best and he’ll learn from the experience. This is not the time to criticise him; we should encourage him.
“He had a difficult game but he will learn.”

Unlike Agu, Aina had an impressive game after replacing the injured left-back Elderson Echiejile.

“Aina did very well and I’m happy for him,” Rohr praised the young defender who is on loan at Hull City from Chelsea.

“When Elderson got injured we felt it was time to give Aina his chance. Aina is a very good young player; he did quite well against Zambia. He defended well and got forward when he had to.

“It’s great to have good young players for the future of the team.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rohr-defends-agu-praises-aina/amp/

Agu improved in the second half. Despite the big occasion in a very important match that determined our qualification, Agu did well as a young boy.

Match wey I still watched yesterday.

Why Rohr no use Ogu since he is better?

Precisely. Agu barely put a foot wrong after he shook off the early jitters. In the second half, he was close to flawless and an adequate shield for the defence. However, I prefer Ogu when it comes to playing in the DMF role. His calmness, composure, ball reading is ahead of Agu from what I have seen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:16am On Jun 05, 2018
Afam4eva:

I also give it to Alex Iwobi. There's something about British players who decide to play for Nigeria instead. They tend to be very passionate. Iwobi reminds me of Anichebe during his stint with the super eagles.
Alex Iwobi dey like small pikin wey dem just give everything, so he's balling. He no fight the way Ogu and Leon fight.

And there is nothing about British players anything, if not, why the same thing been no dey Aina or where is Moses' passion these days?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:17am On Jun 05, 2018
gamaliel9:
Ogu brings a calm aura into this team....he looms over the grasses.....his interceptions are top notch.....his passes short and long....he can play in the defence,though a midfielder...with his long legs,he dispossesses the ball from opponents easily...he takes long range shots-the only one who scores from it i this team- who watched Morocco vs Slovakia,a certain Ziyech from morocco kept firing from afar and kept hitting target ...Ndidi use to do that at Gent

The following should learn from Ogu on hitting long range shots
Iheanacho
Ighalo
VicMo

Iheanacho not long ago scored a long ranged dynamite for Leicester City.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:18am On Jun 05, 2018
OMANBALA1:

True to your words, light skin is presumed to be feminine but you see Ebuehi, Balogun and Ekong those guys can throw punches. I want you to watch how Ebuehi walks, like mudaphuking gangster. I swear Ebuehi can woop Iwobi's azz all day...lol

And do you remember the little show Balogun put on against Algerian the day he wore a mask...We have some rugged mixed boys ooo.

Oliseh is light skin, Emenalo and Iroha are light skin and these guys will kick your azz. People always underestimate light skin guys but a bunch of them are very tough

At the bolded, when you see that boy from behind, walking, if you schooled in one of those tough Unis in Nigeria, u would understand this better. Ebuehi has the typical walking step of Nigerian Uni tough men, say vikings or Aye .

Seriously whenever the camera shows him walking, it reminds me of a procession of Bargas, Apaches, Axemen walking past our faculty to business block back then in the Uni.

Ebuehi has a Nigerian uni ruggedity written all over his step. I actually thought I was the only person that noticed it Lol.

Krattoss onye otu nzuzo whatya say? grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 11:21am On Jun 05, 2018
safarigirl:
Alex Iwobi dey like small pikin wey dem just give everything, so he's balling. He no fight the way Ogu and Leon fight.

And there is nothing about British players anything, if not, why the same thing been no dey Aina or where is Moses' passion these days?
Maybe it depends on the individual sha but i think players like Iwobi and Anichebe tend to be more patriotic than some of their fellow Nigerian players. Though i understand what you mean by Ogu and Balogun fighting their way into the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:21am On Jun 05, 2018
You know you are so right again Safari... So bloody right. You seem to be chewing the kolanuts on all the right spots as regards this team. (Mujtahida abeg I borrowed your trademark "kolanut" expression.. Don't sue me. grin )

In this set-up, Victor Moses can indeed be benched. He is definitely our star man in the attack but the likes of Iheanacho and Iwobi in a 3-5-2 also makes it quite possible to see a Victor Moses start from the bench. Mikel behind Iheanacho and Iwobi is super potentially a deadly combo any day based on that Argie game especially when Ndidi and Ogu/Etebo are behind Mikel.

I think we indeed need to consider the interesting fact that we can indeed have a starting lineup without Victor moses depending on our strategy and based on what each player's strengths and attributes bring to the team in a particular tactical set-up or formation.

safarigirl:
remove Victor Moses, for Kelechi and I approve this line-up. Kelechi and Iwobi have worked in a 3-5-2, Moses will probably forget that Iwobi is his striking partner and be running forward without taking notice of him.

It is not bad if Moses starts from the bench. Before we accuse Rohr of being rigid, some of us should also remember that we are equally rigid

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:22am On Jun 05, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Being on an airplane can be nerve racking but at that age you should be able to hide it and just drop for one corner like everything is ok...lol

Guy I dont board bikes, I die before i get to my destination. Also I dont like driving down a hilly road, it disconnects some wires in me. U see those cable cars? They are not for Chris.

Its phobia, u cant help it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:24am On Jun 05, 2018
That is simple Marvellous Basco. It is because WE WON. wink Gerrit?

BascoVanVeli:

Why didn't people say he wasn't playing to instructions against Cameroon? He played in the exact same fashion. People are running away from the obvious and making up things. First I hear he was pushing forward and now this. Onazi's passing was poor and that was the key to his bad game. He gave away the ball in dangerous positions and one led to a goal.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 11:25am On Jun 05, 2018
tbaba1234:
John Ogu just gave his whole biography on social media.

Footballers go through a lot. He talked about everything from start to finish.

At academica, he was told not to go for the Mandela challenge and to tell Keshi that he was injured. He refused and traveled. After he got back, he was benched. The coach refused to play him. He missed the 2014 WC and refused to sign an extension with Academica. After contract expired, he was out of a club, finished his money and even had to be getting money from his mum in Nigeria to get by. He got support from players like Onazi who housed him in Rome. Eventually, he got the offer from Israel.

The guy should consider writing a book.. There are some inspiring ups and downs.

Link please... I so much love that guy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:27am On Jun 05, 2018
And through it all, now he is on the plane to Russia. Inspiring.

tbaba1234:

At academica, he was told not to go for the Mandela challenge and to tell Keshi that he was injured. He refused and traveled. After he got back, he was benched. The coach refused to play him. He missed the 2014 WC and refused to sign an extension with Academica. After contract expired, he was out of a club, finished his money and even had to be getting money from his mum in Nigeria to get by. He got support from players like Onazi who housed him in Rome. Eventually, he got the offer from Israel.

The guy should consider writing a book.. There are some inspiring ups and downs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:28am On Jun 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Our able international Correspondent on Foreign-based matters (Germany division), Hon. Chriskels, will do justice to your question Sir. Stay tuned till whenever he shows up... wink

Lol ototo nwa o gini?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by GoshenNLA(m): 11:58am On Jun 05, 2018
Show your support to our Eagles, Rep 9ja by ordering your Jerseys
� High quality Jersey 100%
If interested, Click on my signature for more info⬇
Jerseys for other National teams available too

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
edi287:

Aina is a regular at Hull and had an above average season. Echiejile wasn't even getting starts at a second division Belgian side. How many opportunities did Aina get if we're being real?? Yes I know people will point to Ebuehi and talk about how he came and played well against Argentina but he was a bit shaky in his first game for us too.
Yes Aina hasn't killed it but neither did Echiejile. If we all agree Idowu is first choice LB at the moment, why not take a younger Aina to gain experience? His versatility might have come in handy.
It's the cry. No need for that. Ultimately the coach has made his choice and I asked a question whether we would cry this much if Aina were naija born
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:20pm On Jun 05, 2018
Thank God for the Ndidi's injury induced rest

Training Report – Ndidi Dazzles, Iheanacho, Simy Shines In Eagles First Training Session In Austin.

Wilfred Ndidi has made a full recovery from the injury that has restricted him from taking part in the training session and friendly matches of the senior national team of Nigeria in their preparations for the World Cup.

He returned to full training yesterday and according to reports exclusively gathered by Owngoalnigeria.com, Ndidi was among the top five players in yesterday’s session which involved technical and tactical drills.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered that Ndidi showed no sign of the player who ended the season injured as he was his usual hardworking self, making tackles, winning balls and also initiating attacks during the training session.

Ndidi’s performance wasn’t the only highlight of the session as Crotone forward Simy Nwankwo continue to show why he made the final 23 man list with a near perfect performance in yesterday’s training session.

Kelechi Iheanacho was also very lively and his sharpness was well noticed in the way he was gliding past his markers during the session which lasted a little over an hour.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:21pm On Jun 05, 2018
I'm shocked at the praises Ogu is suddenly getting on here.

Wow.

Croatia must be outplayed. Those guys are rock solid at the back, but a rough tackle or two can undo them.

Yeah I also fancy a VicMo coming from the bench. We can try that against Argentina majorly. His selfishness may be useful against those Argies defenders wey no get liver.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jun 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

At the bolded, when you see that boy from behind, walking, if you schooled in one of those tough Unis in Nigeria, u would understand this better. Ebuehi has the typical walking step of Nigerian Uni tough men, say vikings or Aye .

Seriously whenever the camera shows him walking, it reminds me of a procession of Bargas, Apaches, Axemen walking past our faculty to business block back then in the Uni.

Ebuehi has a Nigerian uni ruggedity written all over his step. I actually thought I was the only person that noticed it Lol.

Krattoss onye otu nzuzo whatya say? grin
some of these players re coded frat dudes..
Watch somebody like genk tosun displaying a slit throat gesture to one fvcker fan who insulted his father in a friendly against Tunisia the other day..

And icardi who threatened Italian fans that he is gonna pull some mafias all the way from Argentina to deal with the inter fans who booed him.

Abi u Wan tell me say balotelli no get mafia connects undecided

As for naija players, badass full our team ooo only that dem dey on a low low..

@ the bolded.. Abughikwam onye otu nzuzo oooo..
Just that if u dey for afghan, act like a mafian cool

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:31pm On Jun 05, 2018
oga this is exactly the reason why I don't think one way. The club you play or league you play only tells one thing. But it does not mean that you are better than those who didn't get that opportunity. Even at club level, it's still has to do with opportunity to some extent.

Martz101:

compare a john ogu and Aina

There is so many challenges for African footballers, Aina can't even get enyimba job.

my only regret is Ogu is 30 already.

when you look at Ogu you wonder how did bakayoko get to chelsea and ogu is in israel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:34pm On Jun 05, 2018
Don't let us deceive oursef here...Vic mo if fit will never play from d bench,he's a sure starter,irrespective of d formation rohr wants to deploy cool

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 12:43pm On Jun 05, 2018
tbaba1234:

Thanks for bringing this up. I was trying to argue that he wasn't unfairly dropped from the 2014 WC list cause I knew he had an issue with the club where he wasn't playing. Obviously, it was the club's side of the story we heard then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:46pm On Jun 05, 2018
all this camp reports about this one shining, that one shining, i no dey read them again. shine for match. thats all. i bet onazi and joel dey shine for camp wella.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (3916) (3917) (3918) (3919) (3920) (3921) (3922) ... (16407) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.