Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,132 members, 7,896,846 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 11:18 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4347) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12132178 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4344) (4345) (4346) (4347) (4348) (4349) (4350) ... (16452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by samrotimi07: 2:57pm On Jun 30, 2018
oloriooko:

What I meant was such players should not be given special treatment, all players to be invited should be treated on equal basis without prejudice to anyone home or abroad. I strongly wish Rohr will be retained irrespective of leadership structure in the NFF.
I am a strong supporter of Rohr and I cannot over-emphasize the guy being retained beyond 2020

Asking for Rohr to stay is just being sentimental. The guy is poor tactically. Why do you think he left Bordeaux to settle for the likes of Gabon, Niger and Burkina-faso? The guy was the reason we could not get out of the group stage of the World Cup. He selected the player that suits him rather than selecting the best players for our country. For example, the game against Argentina, Mikel decided not to play as the No 6 and kept drifting back as a No 10. The goal from Messi was as a result of the hole he created in the midfield. Throughout the decade Mikel spent at Chelsea he could not dictate to the managers in Chelsea that he wanted to be a 10 rather he improved himself in the role of a No 6, that he was good at. We had a better No !0 in Iwobi, who Rohr left to rot on the bench.

We should stop evaluating ourselves on African standards because unfortunately, the level of football in Africa is dying. We need coaches/managers who can improve our orthodox African way of playing football like in the 90's. We should stop copying the Europeans because we cannot beat them at their style rather we should improve on our attributes as Africans: dribbles, speed and power. Rohr cannot provide this. To me the guy is just another European journeyman frolicking with inept African football administrators to get juicy coaching contracts.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:59pm On Jun 30, 2018
Icon4s:

Walahi, if that guy was a Nigerian his career would have ended.

He just rested on the pole and kept his hand akimbo as if he was expecting a photo shoot.

I will call that complaicancy. That is what also finished Senegal against Japan.

Lol the thing sha dey amuse me anytime wey I see am grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2018
Are u saying Fashanu made the move in behalf of NFF? “Fashanu said”is not concrete unless it was an NFF sanctioned move.

Pius has long recovered. At least he should be on our radar.

ChrisKels:

John Fashanu said Tosin would come around if we qualified for the World Cup, we finally did, the rest is history.

Junior Pius Udeme is good but he needs to sort out his career first. Last I read of him, he was caught stealing even though he was on a treatment table.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2018
kelechi nwakali joins fc porto on loan from arsenal

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Don't be so sure. Ezenwa has a cat like reflex that is his strong point. His problem is in the air. Dele Alampasu is the closest thing to a combination of both keepers. He has the size and also a great reflexes.

But u are sounding so sure he would have saved that goal ni grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 3:09pm On Jun 30, 2018
Joebie:
Hahaha. They will come back with a good excuse like “I was out of data”, or “I had a special assignment”

Modified
Anyone can claim to be anything, but when reality sets in we get to know the truth.

Why are you like this sir? The fact that they ll come back should be enough to know they really were busy or outta data.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:10pm On Jun 30, 2018
Joebie:
Are u saying Fashanu made the move in behalf of NFF? “Fashanu said”is not concrete unless it was an NFF sanctioned move.

Pius has long recovered. At least he should be on our radar.

But most people believe every balderdash from Fashanu.

About Udeme has he been playing for Tondela?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2018
You expressed most of my thoughts. However, you have to look at the big picture for the greater good of the team going forward.

Firstly a world class coach will not share your views with respect to players in the home front. That limits us to an indigenous coach. And indigenous coach also has their own sentiments in selection. Secondly, will Nigerian players with our Nigerian mentality respect the coach? My answer is no, unless u have a coach like Oliseh who would boot out all the players who don’t bend to him. But there is also a downside to that poor player management. So what’s the way forward? We need a consortium of our best indegenious coaches who can work together, assisting Rohr so we dont resort to another rebuilding which would take us backwards again. These coaches would take over at the right time. The

samrotimi07:

Asking for Rohr to stay is just being sentimental. The guy is poor tactically. Why do you think he left Bordeaux to settle for the likes of Gabon, Niger and Burkina-faso? The guy was the reason we could not get out of the group stage of the World Cup. He selected the player that suits him rather than selecting the best players for our country. For example, the game against Argentina, Mikel decided not to play as the No 6 and kept drifting back as a No 10. The goal from Messi was as a result of the hole he created in the midfield. Throughout the decade Mikel spent at Chelsea he could not dictate to the managers in Chelsea that he wanted to be a 10 rather he improved himself in the role of a No 6, that he was good at. We had a better No !0 in Iwobi, who Rohr left to rot on the bench.

We should stop evaluating ourselves on African standards because unfortunately, the level of football in Africa is dying. We need coaches/managers who can improve our orthodox African way of playing football like in the 90's. We should stop copying the Europeans because we cannot beat them at their style rather we should improve on our attributes as Africans: dribbles, speed and power. Rohr cannot provide this. To me the guy is just another European journeyman frolicking with inept African football administrators to get juicy coaching contracts.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2018
Penalty to France.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:12pm On Jun 30, 2018
I don’t. For me it’s not official until it is official.

France scores!

Modified

On Udeme, he hasn’t. But he should be on our radar regardless. We have to forgive our own as regards club problems.

ChrisKels:

But most people believe every balderdash from Fashanu.

About Udeme has he been playing for Tondela?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2018
Argentina go hear whennnn
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2018
nigerian players likely to join new clubs in europe

tosin kehinde- salzburg, amiens, fenabahche,sk brann, anderlecht

troost ekong- lille

ahmed musa- wolves, brighton, galatasaray, olympic marseille

joel obi- sporting lisbon, crystal palace, celta vigo, benfica

sadiq umar- glasgow rangers

kelechi iheanacho- newcastle, westham

taiwo awoniyi- gent

simon moses- liverpool

isaac success- olympiacos

junior ajayi- sporting lisbon

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2018
Icon4s:

You, change your mindset about not seeing any thing good in your own.

Is it by Population? Then China and India would be wining the World Cup back to back. grin

That Argentine team is better than the Colombian Team. Take that to the bank tell them I sent you. grin

Sorry to say, but I like being candid. There's no where in world you can convince me that Iceland is better than Japan.
Please let's turn a leaf and stop these half truths, it won't get us anywhere. Look at one of the Iceland defenders, the young man worked in a Salt packing factory prior to the world cup, their number 8 is a bar attendant, this much was revealed by a comentator during their match against Argentina, about 4 others are medical doctors. Their goalkeeper Hannes is a professional film maker. I can go on and on...

I was ashamed being a Nigerian when people were going wild with jubilation after beating these guys. Beating these guys should be routine. Their famous results against England, Argentina and the likes is just the case of when a dog bites a man and when a man bites a dog...

Lastly, Colombia looks a better team and in better shape than Argentina in this tournament at least. Recently, Colombia defeated France in Paris, I will eagerly await the result of France Argentina to compare notes.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 3:22pm On Jun 30, 2018
Look at how Mbape is playing this Argentine defense. Terrorising the defense and running them ragged
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2018
Sadiq turned down the Glasgow move. He is returning to Roma
charlesemeka85:
nigerian players likely to join new clubs in europe

tosin kehinde- salzburg, amiens, fenabahche,sk brann, anderlecht

troost ekong- lille

ahmed musa- wolves, brighton, galatasaray, olympic marseille

joel obi- sporting lisbon, crystal palace, celta vigo, benfica

sadiq umar- glasgow rangers

kelechi iheanacho- newcastle, westham

taiwo awoniyi- gent

simon moses- liverpool

isaac success- olympiacos

junior ajayi- sporting lisbon

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:25pm On Jun 30, 2018
didnt know about that but the move would have been a perfect one for him. it will be difficult breaking into the Roma team
Joebie:
Sadiq turned down the Glasgow move. He is returning to Roma
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:28pm On Jun 30, 2018
He broke in under the reign of their previous coach. Plus he is an improved player.

charlesemeka85:
didnt know about that but the move would have been a perfect one for him. it will be difficult breaking into the Roma team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:32pm On Jun 30, 2018
My bad. I think you are right. The Glasgow move is almost certain. I was commenting from his earlier remark.
charlesemeka85:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:37pm On Jun 30, 2018
29 June 18
Rangers reach agreement with Roma over season-long loan deal for Nigerian striker Umar Sadiq

RANGERS have reached an agreement with Roma to bring Umar Sadiq, a Nigerian striker, to Ibrox on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old, who spent a temporary spell at NAC Breda in the Netherlands earlier this year, will become Steven Gerrard’s eighth summer signing subject to him receiving a work permit.

Sadiq, who netted five goals in 13 games in the Eredivisie in the second half of the 2017/18 campaign, doesn’t satisfy the criteria for an automatic endorsement.

But Rangers are optimistic the 6ft 4in forward will be able to play in Scotland next term even though he hasn’t represented his country in 75 per cent of their internationals in the last two years.

The player joined Serie A club Roma from second tier Italian outfit Spezia in a £2 million transfer two years ago and has since spent loan spells at Bologna, Torino and Breda.

Eusebio Di Francesco, whose side reached the Champions League semi-final last season, is unable to guarantee him a regular first team game at the Olympic Stadium next term and has agreed to let him go on loan again.

Meanwhile, Gary McAllister reckons Steven Gerrard will relish the challenge of attempting to dethrone Celtic in his first campaign as Rangers boss.

The Liverpool legend spent the last 10 days working with his squad at their pre-season training base in Spain as he stepped-up his preparations for the big kick-off.

Rangers have been written off in many quarters before a ball has been kicked this term, but assistant manager McAllister is determined to close the gap as the Light Blues look to end their long wait for silverware.

He said: “When you look at the numbers I can understand why that can be levelled but, the thing is, we’ve got to really focus on what we’re doing.

“We’re aware that side of the city, Glasgow Celtic have done brilliantly under Brendan Rodgers and we’ve got to just go in there and make it more and more competitive and try and push and push.

“That’s the mentality of someone who has been a leader and a captain and an inspirational player during his career.”

—EveningTimesUK

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:44pm On Jun 30, 2018
Read that report you attached, very well.

goldfish80:

Sorry to say, but I like being candid. There's no where in world you can convince me that Iceland is better than Japan.
Please let's turn a leaf and stop these half truths, it won't get us anywhere. Look at one of the Iceland defenders, the young man worked in a Salt packing factory prior to the world cup, their number 8 is a bar attendant, this much was revealed by a comentator during their match against Argentina, about 4 others are medical doctors. Their goalkeeper Hannes is a professional film maker. I can go on and on...

I was ashamed being a Nigerian when people were going wild with jubilation after beating these guys. Beating these guys should be routine. Their famous results against England, Argentina and the likes is just the case of when a dog bites a man and when a man bites a dog...

Lastly, Colombia looks a better team and in better shape than Argentina in this tournament at least. Recently, Colombia defeated France in Paris, I will eagerly await the result of France Argentina to compare notes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:52pm On Jun 30, 2018
ChrisKels:

But u are sounding so sure he would have saved that goal ni grin

Because I am.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:54pm On Jun 30, 2018
any news on akpoguma and udokhai switching to 9ja?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:55pm On Jun 30, 2018
ChrisKels:
Iheanacho tipped to reunite with Pelegrini at westham or join new castle

#newsinthepipeline

For once in a long time, Nacho should do the right thing and push for a reunion with Pellegrini. Pellegrini's football fits Nacho's direct off the ball style and will bring the best in him. His managers for once should shun the urge for monetary rewards and push the young man's career.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2018
Kehinde should run away from this move. Barcelona B isn't a good place for him, because Barca rarely promote players from their team B these days plus Tosin is already 20. At this age, he should be playing professional football not going to youth team. He should join Amiens, Salzburg or Anderletch instead.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/barcelona-interested-in-man-uniteds-nigerian-youngster-kehinde/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:59pm On Jun 30, 2018
goldfish80:

I also like being candid in my opinions. Did you watch Iceland in the last Euros? This was a team that beat England in the 2nd round and narrowly lost to France in the quarter final. And I hope you know Iceland toped their 2018 WCQ group ahead of Croatia? I was even being fair equating them with Japan.

I say again, learn to to appreciate your own. You are trying hard to dwarfen Iceland only because they lost to Nigeria. Oga, change this your mindset.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:59pm On Jun 30, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Because I am.
Lol and you dont want me to be?
Nawa for u oo bro grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:01pm On Jun 30, 2018
In other News, the World Cup just Started.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:03pm On Jun 30, 2018
One of our products. All hail the Diamond Football Academy of Umuahia!!

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ex-eaglet-chukwueze-to-join-villareal-first-team-for-pre-season/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:05pm On Jun 30, 2018
ChrisKels:

Lol and you dont want me to be?

Nawa for u oo bro grin

Lol trouble maker. I get what you are saying now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:14pm On Jun 30, 2018
samrotimi07:

You are right in every word you typed, my brother.
The only reason I fancy Gernot Rohr to be retained if for the sake of continuity in the team. Not that he's the right personnel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:18pm On Jun 30, 2018
Icon4s:

I also like being candid in my opinions. Did you watch Iceland in the last Euros? This was a team that beat England in the 2nd round and narrowly lost to France in the quarter final. And I hope you know Iceland toped their 2018 WCQ group ahead of Croatia? I was even being fair equating them with Japan.

I say again, learn to to appreciate your own. You are trying hard to dwarfen Iceland only because they lost to Nigeria. Oga, change this your mindset.

I watched them at the Euros and they were pretty tasteless. They always had 9 men behind the ball and relied on set pieces because they lack the talents to go toe to toe with anyone.
Their captain admitted as much that they frustrated the life out of teams by parking the bus during the qualifiers because they lacked personnel to play real football.
I choose not to rate a team of semi professionals ahead of a traditional world cup team and continental champions. It's a travesty for Nigeria to celebrate defeating the Icelands of this world. How the mighty have fallen.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:20pm On Jun 30, 2018
Joebie:
Hahaha. They will come back with a good excuse like “I was out of data”, or “I had a special assignment”

Modified
Anyone can claim to be anything, but when reality sets in we get to know the truth.

abeg chill...some of US are still licking our sores after that loss.... currently on readers more

(1) (2) (3) ... (4344) (4345) (4346) (4347) (4348) (4349) (4350) ... (16452) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Tessyy1701, TheGoodJoe(m), akwesenana, TheSuperNerd(m) and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.