Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,626 members, 7,930,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 10:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4363) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12316074 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4360) (4361) (4362) (4363) (4364) (4365) (4366) ... (16539) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:24am On Jul 02, 2018
Sportilitica:

I have notice your comments here, the reason people will keep seeing such comments as been biased is the way you pass your message. Too blunt, I know you really say the truth most of the time but the method of delivery is the problem. Enough of the hyping, if we have players that can help the nation, suggest them and bring stats. We really do not have good players let us not deceive ourselves but we can get better.

It is not hyping. I knew Dele Alli and Ademola Lookman when they were in league one, and it was so obvious they will become great players.

We have good players but the coach has to give some players chance to prove themselves.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:26am On Jul 02, 2018
edi287:

Nakata nko?

Great player! Now we are talking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 8:34am On Jul 02, 2018
Certitude:

So the reason Mikel should go is because of Iwobi? Idowu was our best defender at the world cup and you want him to go? Omeruo too? Go and pursue them na.
Which best defender?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:43am On Jul 02, 2018
easyelliot:
Looking good as opposed to being good

Im looking at the remaining teams left and all their jerseys are straightforward...while play wise they all have a chance to win the cup.

My country Swag was high... Jersey was fire!!! Celebs were rocking it, foreigners dey rock em....then actual football was played....yuk..yuk yuk...

Cant dribble, cant shoot, cant defend for 10 minutes, cant run, cant adapt, cant take on players, no fire, no desire....flat flat f*cking flat!!!!

Oyingbo wall is soft as cotton candy

I like them, but like doesnt win you anything. If these two are your foundation, then new cement is needed...the wall let in 4 goals in 3 real games. For a team that has difficulty scoring, that aint gonna cut it.

We need to focus our resources on other sports. Football has gone beyond where Nigeria is.
Football is very scientific today filled with analytics to improve and help a team adapt, anticipate, act, react, etc...we are no where close. But it's ok, with 200 million ppl, there are other sports for us to try.

Looking at the teams left it is as clear as rain water the jibronis that represented us would have chopped at least 5 if not for Rojos and messi saving us from going forward.

We dont have players with the mental fortitude and discipline to take us higher, nor do they posses the work ethic, hunger and informed decision making to go further.

All our players care about is money up front, so they can take care of their entire village and show lifestyle, if not why for the love of God would Etebo leave la liga for epl div 2? Isnt that going backwards? And you are a starter for the national team??

As for one of our benchers... Ebuehi(still dont know why is on the bench), .....goes from Dutch league to Portuguese giants, with a champions league ticket already booked. That's growth , a player who wants to improve. Unfortunately he is the exception not the norm.

I read somewhere that Rohr said he had a few players that will no longer be part of the eagles...few ke? Ogbeni.....let me help you..

List of players that should not report for duty again

Mikel - holding back Iwobi
Ighalo - CANNOT SCORE EVER AGAIN!!!
Onazi- It's time
Joel- no comment
Iheanacho ( yes even uncle) - annoyance
Shehu - quota
Idowu - coach's pet
Omerou - it's time
Echiedje - it's time

Snatch that 10 jersey from skippo and give it to Iwobi. Iwobi is not perfect, but he can be a very good 10.

But how are we supposed to know that when u are playing a career definsive midfielder as your play maker. The reason? Well he played it for us for 2 years and nobody complained? What?

So my coach is telling me that playing against mediocre African talent is the same as playing world class talent? Adapt biko,....step it up...

Rohr should be fired, but he wont because he and pinnick are in bed together.

End rant

Are you serious! Omeruo and Mikel to go? Even Idowu proved to be a very good player yet you want him out.

These 3 players did really well.

If any of these players you listed are still going to be doing well in Europe than the ones you want, I don't see any reason they should be dropped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:04am On Jul 02, 2018
Onomah and co need to gain promotion to the EPL, or they will never get a look in

komekn:

On what basis years of academy football.

He needs to break into the first team of Wolfsburg.

Shockingly he was invited to the SE totally unproven totally unjustified but why

I said it ages ago and was slated on this forum right left and center. That he would struggle to make it into a English EPL academy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:05am On Jul 02, 2018
Read my post and reply again.

komekn:

How was he on fire.

In my opinion he was frozen out but began to thaw. Of he was on Fire how many goals dud he score for his club in the EPL all season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:11am On Jul 02, 2018
Ohh stop it. And I’ve told u countless times no Super Eagles handler would ever reason like you. The Championship and the lower league is not held in high regard in Nigeria, and that would not change irrespective of what you say. If you like you can keep making the same argument. Rohr holds Bundesliga in high regard, and that’s just it.

komekn:

I have had this argument with many on this forum and in the end being accused of bias.

Bayern Munich win everything in the Bundesliga and have more or less in the past twenty years. It's almost like the Scottish league with Celtic the one team far ahead also winning nearly everything.

In the Bundesliga take away Bayern and the next top 6 clubs are not on the level of Man United, Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, but way below.

So I would rate the top 6 Bundesliga excluding Bayern Munich on par or lower with the mid table and below of the EPL.

The mid table and 3 places up and below are on par with Championship and below. For instance can you see Mainz, Freiburg, Hannover. Wolfsburg, Fc Koln winning the championship. No they would be in the relegation zone of the championship.

The Bundesliga is rated No 4 in Europe with La Liga number 1 and the EPL number 2 followed by Seria A.
That's by UEFA.

So for reasons unknown but known by some England that has the by far higher numbers of Nigerian origin players is literally left out.

Ovie Ejaria, Tega Onomah, Bobby Adekanya have not been approached. Part of the problem is we keep looking for deals.

If to say Amaju deh hear word there should be a network scouting and tracking the development of Nigeria origin players. Not waiting for them to before being considered and tested.

In this regard Iwobi had not played one game for Arsenal first team before he was called to the Nigerian senior national team. I guess big Uncle JJay open doors.

He singled out Tega Abrahams because of Warri connection. But he waited too long allowed the boy to blow and then start to take photo.

But one of the biggest problems is our past history of unfair practices and under handed practices of coaches and officials.

NFF officials don't like Nigerian origin players why Dem no deh free settle no arrangement, loyalty bonus.

Look at how Sone Aluko was treated and how Hope Akpan was treated and it sets a pattern. A pattern of use and abuse.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 9:24am On Jul 02, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

They should sponsor them if they really want to improve our football. Maybe down the line the coaches can be on their own but not now. It has been clear to see how our local coaches get outclassed in the continent. I am a firm believer that we have good players in Nigeria but poor coaching and management.

that's okay think they are doing that already with li laga And Epl partnership but I think is not enough

How many coaches has CAF licence A very few... Just need to keep pushing ...we have been left behind in coaching

We still eating on our past glory we need to evolve or else we will go instinct.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:32am On Jul 02, 2018
Pique’s hands was clearly above his head, and adjudged to have done it deliberately. I remember one of SS panelists saying what I said here earlier that it’s natural to raise your hands when u jump to head the ball, however in our case, Rojo’s arms were not above his head. It was clearly not deliberate. Come to think of it, why would he head the ball to his own arms?

bengine:
To any one that doubted we should have had a second penalty against argentina, wasn't it the same situation with Pique when Spain played against Russia...

Does referee have double standards when making this hand balll in the box call..the rule is simple if your hands are in unnatural position inside the 18yard box...its a PK...that rule applied to pique today Don't understand why it didn't apply to Rojo..I guess it was more beneficial to keep Argentina in the world cup..

Watching today's game just brought back that memory...I'm just getting frustrated at how things went against us..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:36am On Jul 02, 2018
easyelliot:

Im looking at the remaining teams left and all their jerseys are straightforward...while play wise they all have a chance to win the cup.

My country Swag was high... Jersey was fire!!! Celebs were rocking it, foreigners dey rock em....then actual football was played....yuk..yuk yuk...

Cant dribble, cant shoot, cant defend for 10 minutes, cant run, cant adapt, cant take on players, no fire, no desire....flat flat f*cking flat!!!!

I like them, but like doesnt win you anything. If these two are your foundation, then new cement is needed...the wall let in 4 goals in 3 real games. For a team that has difficulty scoring, that aint gonna cut it.

We need to focus our resources on other sports. Football has gone beyond where Nigeria is.
Football is very scientific today filled with analytics to improve and help a team adapt, anticipate, act, react, etc...we are no where close. But it's ok, with 200 million ppl, there are other sports for us to try.

Looking at the teams left it is as clear as rain water the jibronis that represented us would have chopped at least 5 if not for Rojos and messi saving us from going forward.

We dont have players with the mental fortitude and discipline to take us higher, nor do they posses the work ethic, hunger and informed decision making to go further.

All our players care about is money up front, so they can take care of their entire village and show lifestyle, if not why for the love of God would Etebo leave la liga for epl div 2? Isnt that going backwards? And you are a starter for the national team??

As for one of our benchers... Ebuehi(still dont know why is on the bench), .....goes from Dutch league to Portuguese giants, with a champions league ticket already booked. That's growth , a player who wants to improve. Unfortunately he is the exception not the norm.

I read somewhere that Rohr said he had a few players that will no longer be part of the eagles...few ke? Ogbeni.....let me help you..

Onazi- It's time
Joel- no comment
Shehu - quota
Idowu - coach's pet
Omerou - it's time
Echiedje - it's time

Snatch that 10 jersey from skippo and give it to Iwobi. Iwobi is not perfect, but he can be a very good 10.

But how are we supposed to know that when u are playing a career definsive midfielder as your play maker. The reason? Well he played it for us for 2 years and nobody complained? What?

So my coach is telling me that playing against mediocre African talent is the same as playing world class talent? Adapt biko,....step it up...

End rant

Mikel - still has a role. Can play as a regista while Iwobi plays a bit more forward
Ighalo - Agreed. He's washed unfortunately. Good player in his day
Onazi - good squad option
Joel Obi - not the same player he once was. Will still be getting invites if he maintains his club form
Iheanacho - still a crucial player for us. No longer a guaranteed starter.
Shehu - Very solid player. One of the first names on the squad. I prefer Ebuehi but Shehu's importance can not be understated. Very versatile too.
Idowu - Solid.
Omeruo - One of our best players at the WC
Echiejile - Agreed

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 10:19am On Jul 02, 2018
Joebie:
Pique’s hands was clearly above his head, and adjudged to have done it deliberately. I remember one of SS panelists saying what I said here earlier that it’s natural to raise your hands when u jump to head the ball, however in our case, Rojo’s arms were not above his head. It was clearly not deliberate. Come to think of it, why would he head the ball to his own arms?

You're not getting it. We can all agree on the hand above head ish but intention doesn't come into play in a handball or foul situation. You can make a case for Rojo but intentions shouldn't be part. That said, what is the natural position of your hand when running? Handball are given from such too.
Sir Goldfish80, I just saw a replay of Messi's Freekick which was saved by Uzoho. I remember you saying a goalkeeper shouldn't ne beaten on his side. I think you should stop being overly critical and give the boy credit cause it wasn't on his side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:19am On Jul 02, 2018
Three Super Eagles Stars Named In Russia 2018 Eliminated Best XI

June 30, 2018 12:29 pm

By Adeboye Amosu:

Super Eagles trio Keneth Omeruo, Wilfred Ndidi and Oghenekaro Etebo have been included in authoritative football analysis and statistics website Whoscored.com’s best rated XI of players to have been eliminated from the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

The Nigerian trio are joined on the list by notable names like Germany’s Mats Hummels and Jonas Hector, Serbia defender Branislav Ivanovic and Son Heung -Min of South Korea in the XI deployed in a 4-4-2 formation.

Centre-back Kenneth Omeruo featured in two of Nigeria’s three games in the competition. He provided the assist for Ahmed Musa’s second goal in the 2-0 win against Iceland

Etebo, who signed for SkyBet Championship club Stoke City prior to the start of the competition made a huge impact for the Super Eagles in Russia.

The 22-year-old completed all but one of his 17 attempted dribbles and made a combined total of 14 tackles and interceptions.

Only Lionel Messi and Neymar completed more dribbles than Etebo during the first round of games.
Etebo’s midfield partner Wilfred Ndidi makes the cut with a hugely impressive showing for the Super Eagles.

The Leicester star made more tackles (15) and interceptions (12) than any other player in the group stages of the World Cup to once more showcase his quality to the watching world.

The Super Eagles were eliminated from Russia 2018 after a 2-1 defeat against Argentina in their final Group D game.

Goalkeeper
Cho Hyun-Woo – South Korea

Defenders
Branislav Ivanovic – Serbia
Mats Hummels – Germany
Kenneth Omeruo – Nigeria
Jonas Hector – Germany

Midfielders
Andre Carrillo – Peru
Oghenekaro Etebo – Nigeria
Wilfred Ndidi – Nigeria
Salem Al Dawsari – Saudi Arabia

Forwards
Son Heung-Min – South Korea
Wahbi Khazri – Tunisia

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/three-super-eagles-stars-named-in-russia-2018-eliminated-best-xi/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:30am On Jul 02, 2018
Joebie:
Idowu can play at the left side of a 3-man CB. Too versatile to discard. Deji and Ikuowem can definely get a direct promotion to SE considering we don’t have much options at LB.However, they should still play a part in he Flying Eagles. Hence Duru, Deji and Ikuowem to compete at LB/LWB.

I really don't have any idea about these players.

But on what basis ❓ Club and league proven quality form ❓ Consistent top � class performances.

Please please there is too much talk about non competitive friendly game played against Athletico Madrid. As being a basis for quality.

I tell you sincerely if Athletico Madrid played Shrewsbury Town of league one in a non competitive friendly they would not get rolled over.

So let's see things in context.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:48am On Jul 02, 2018
oloriooko:
This thread should be pinned to the top of the Sports section
There are many reasonable and reliable info being presented here which can be a immense benefit to the NFF
Furthermore, there is need for our players to get regular playing time for clubs they join, enough of bench warming players.
Heard MoSimon knocking on Liverpool door and Kel Nwakali on his way to Porto on loan, how i wish Uzoho will move out of Serial B into a premier league side in Spain.
Nobody of Nigerian descent should be begged to play for us cuz we have abundant talents begging to play for the SE

I need to bring some context to the proposition that you make in bold. That will enlighten you and possibly others and enable you to have a more holistic view.

Firstly, why do players in Nigeria fight tooth and nail by hook or crook to get into national team set up ❓ Consider and think.

Players in Nigeria desperately need the SE to further thier careers. As a result they and thier agents will do ANYTHING, we are Nigerians I should nit have to spell it out what that means.

Players of Nigerian origin playing in Western Europe in top leagues for instance in England. Do not need the SE to further thier careers it brings no value to them. In some respects it actually is an impediment to your career progression.

As a result these players are not likely to concede to unwholesome agreements or the settlement mentality.

This being the case the NFF will put out stories implying that players were being difficult. Or did not honour numerous invitations, telephone calls, etc.

Talent is indicative of potential ability. Without discipline, diligent training, professional support and quality development structures. That talent will die.

In terms of local talent Nigeria will compete with Brazil however, with regards to developing talent. I am sorry we are very poor, nepotism, favouritism, settlement, corruption, etc will take over.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:51am On Jul 02, 2018
Joebie:
You simply extend an invitation to a player reagaress of where they are born, and it s left to them to make a decision. There is nothing wrong with reaching their agents as well. The procedure for reaching a FB can be complex for obvious reasons. Let’s accept the reality. It is not begging until you make another move. If the player was undecided, it’s now on the player to inform whoever made the move initially, when they make up their mind.

Modified
Also consider that the structure of leadership in the NFF and SE may change. Who becomes the new point of contact in that event ? As long as Rohr is still the coach it would be easier for the players we reached out to before to get back to us.

It is not complex AT ALL.

It is the hidden agenda of our guys that is complex.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by diadem10: 10:52am On Jul 02, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I am not afraid of tap ins but the problem is you trying to be deceptive and paint Nacho a tap in striker when he offers more. The ratio of tap ins is small.

Finito.

Like what?

I quite agree with you on the fact that Nacho isn't a tap in striker. He doesn't have good 'off the ball movement' nor the positional play to be a fox in the box kind of striker.

But I don't agree with you saying he offers more.

I personally think Nacho is better in a counter attacking team with lot of space to run into when the team is on the counter. He can also ping some good long passes to locate his partner on the counter but when we talk of intricate linkup play in the final third, he's often found wanting and that was why Pep sold him off.

So basically, he doesn't have the positional play, movement nor the presence to play as a pure striker neither does he have the intricate linkup and movement to play as a SS. However his style would be suitable in a counter attacking setup. That reminds me of our game against Argentina where they didn't afford us any space to counter. They must have learned from our friendly encounter against them. How I wish Iwobi was brought on instead of Ighalo. Ighalo gave us a better presence and his positional play was perfect but the let down was his finishing.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:57am On Jul 02, 2018
ChrisKels:

John Fashanu said Tosin would come around if we qualified for the World Cup, we finally did, the rest is history.

Junior Pius Udeme is good but he needs to sort out his career first. Last I read of him, he was caught stealing even though he was on a treatment table.

Tosin is in Man City and so what does that mean he is top class.

I want to presume you are talking about Tosin Adarabioyo ❓

Until he goes out on loan he is totally untested and unproven he has not played anything of substance for City's first team. He is essentially an academy player.

Also I have seen him he is not good enough. Nowhere as good as Dominic Iorfa. Even Tomori is not good enough in my opinion.

In thier defence they may improve and suprise us all. But currently Not good enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:03am On Jul 02, 2018
charlesemeka85:
kelechi nwakali joins fc porto on loan from arsenal

On loan from Eerste Divisie 2nd tier of Dutch football from MVV Maastricht.

His contract is owned by Arsenal but he has never kicked a ball for them in a competitive game. Not even the U23's.

He has gone to the mighty Porto I hope he gets game time. Because it looks like he will end up in the B side.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:05am On Jul 02, 2018
Joebie:
You expressed most of my thoughts. However, you have to look at the big picture for the greater good of the team going forward.

Firstly a world class coach will not share your views with respect to players in the home front. That limits us to an indigenous coach. And indigenous coach also has their own sentiments in selection. Secondly, will Nigerian players with our Nigerian mentality respect the coach? My answer is no, unless u have a coach like Oliseh who would boot out all the players who don’t bend to him. But there is also a downside to that poor player management. So what’s the way forward? We need a consortium of our best indegenious coaches who can work together, assisting Rohr so we dont resort to another rebuilding which would take us backwards again. These coaches would take over at the right time. The

Actually they do, one coach they had a lot of respect for was Eguavon. Apparently one of the few that did not ask for settlement before selection.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:05am On Jul 02, 2018
SHEYI OJO AND NABY KEITA TO BEGIN PRE-SEASON TRAINING WITH LIVERPOOL FC ON MONDAY

by Brian Lee

Sunday Jul 01, 2018. 14:30

English Premier League (EPL) giants Liverpool FC have announced that Nigerian winger Sheyi Ojo and Guinean midfielder Naby Keita will be part of the 26 players, who will begin pre-season training on Monday.

Ojo, who is an England under-21 international, is still ineligible to play for Nigeria. The 21-year-old attacker spent the 2017/18 season on loan at Fulham and he helped the club secure promotion to the Premier League from the Championship.

Keita recently completed his move to Liverpool from German Bundesliga side RB Leipzig. The Guinea midfielder will be hoping to hit the ground running at the English giants in the new season.

The club’s African stars Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah are expected to start pre-season training at a later date after respresenting Senegal, and Egypt respectively at the ongoing 2018 FIFA World Cup finals in Russia.

A club statement read: “A total of 26 players are scheduled to report to Melwood for the first day of Liverpool’s pre-season training programme.”

“Many members of Jürgen Klopp’s squad - including new signings Fabinho and Naby Keita, and most of those who were out on loan last term - will reconvene on Monday morning as preparations for 2018-19 begin following the summer break.”

“The Reds’ eight-strong World Cup contingent - Trent Alexander-Arnold, Roberto Firmino, Marko Grujic, Jordan Henderson, Dejan Lovren, Sadio Mane, Simon Mignolet and Mohamed Salah - will not be present, along with Virgil van Dijk and Georginio Wijnaldum.”

“Van Dijk and Wijnaldum featured for the Netherlands in an international friendly immediately after the 2017-18 campaign and will report back later.”

“Players scheduled to report to Melwood on Monday: Camacho, Pedro Chirivella, Nathaniel Clyne, Fabinho, Joe Gomez, Kamil Grabara, Danny Ings, Curtis Jones, Loris Karius, Naby Keita, Caoimhin Kelleher, Ryan Kent, Ragner Klavan, Adam Lallana, Marko Markovic, James Milner, Alberto Moreno, Sheyi Ojo, Divock Origi, Phillips, Andrew Robertson, Dominic Solanke, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Ward, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn.”

https://africanfootball.com//news/752996/Sheyi-Ojo-and-Naby-Keita-to-begin-pre-season-training-with-Liverpool-FC-on-Monday

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:16am On Jul 02, 2018
Joebie:
Onomah and co need to gain promotion to the EPL, or they will never get a look in

Tega Onomah is a Tottenham player he is already in the EPL. He went on loan to get game time and he is a quality player. Seyi is a Liverpool player refused a move to Newcastle last season.

The most expensive left back in English football has only played in the Championship, Ryan Ssegnon Liverpool bid £30 million Fulham refused.

Now in comparison where do majority of our players play Turkey, Belgium and Holland.

So to say they should be in the EPL first when we are bringing players from the Eerste Divisie ( 2nd Div) of Hollandof which the first division is rated lower than Turkey. That's DOUBLE STANDARD.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:21am On Jul 02, 2018
Joebie:

When Onomah and Sheyi Ojo were playing in the EPL with Tottenham and Liverpool respectively, were they approached?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:26am On Jul 02, 2018
forgiveness:

When Onomah and Sheyi Ojo were playing in the EPL with Tottenham and Liverpool respectively, were they approached?

Not not formally No.

They are still EPL players

They are both players on loan, considering the world class players in front of them. Going on loan may be they way to go for them.

Seyi may go to Newcastle or Fulham permanently, can't see him displacing Mo Salah on the left, or do you ❓ Lol

Onomah still has a pathway but he will have to fight his way past some quality players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:38am On Jul 02, 2018
edi287:

Mikel - still has a role. Can play as a regista while Iwobi plays a bit more forward
Ighalo - Agreed. He's washed unfortunately. Good player in his day
Onazi - good squad option
Joel Obi - not the same player he once was. Will still be getting invites if he maintains his club form
Iheanacho - still a crucial player for us. No longer a guaranteed starter.
Shehu - Very solid player. One of the first names on the squad. I prefer Ebuehi but Shehu's importance can not be understated. Very versatile too.
Idowu - Solid.
Omeruo - One of our best players at the WC
Echiejile - Agreed

You could drop the whole squad if you like. But you start from the position of possible replacements.

With this mind, for a player to be dropped there must be clearly proven tested BETTER REPLACEMENT.

Mikel - stays no replacement, Iwobi is an inconsistent pretender. Not yet maybe in the future.

Ighalo - Not good enough, had too many bad days maybe. But NOBODY us clearly better - He stays

Onazi - Maybe lost a bit if form. He stays, no clear replacement.

Joel Obi - Questionable but who is clearly better than

KC - Still has something to prove nobody better

Shehu - looking very average - Dropped if Aina is clearly better. That comparison has not been made yet.

Idowu - Stays till we get better, don't think he is Solid

Omeruo - Stays

ECHIEJILE - dead and buried.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:42am On Jul 02, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

They should sponsor them if they really want to improve our football. Maybe down the line the coaches can be on their own but not now. It has been clear to see how our local coaches get outclassed in the continent. I am a firm believer that we have good players in Nigeria but poor coaching and management.

AGREED WITHOUT RESERVATION KORRECT 1000%

But that lack of good quality professional training and development structure. Has killed us.

Add to to that everything is being sacrificed on the altar of €€£££$$$$. We no longer aspire for good name and integrity among our NFF administrators.

So corruption is also another canker worm.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:43am On Jul 02, 2018
Yesterday, I saw an average Russian team qualify at the expense of a star studded Spanish team. Simply because they had the 'will power.' they fought to the very end.

Our players have a long way to go.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 11:45am On Jul 02, 2018
easyelliot:

Onazi- It's time
Joel- no comment
Shehu - quota
Idowu - coach's pet
Omerou - it's time
Echiedje - it's time

End rant

Easyelliot ko Hardelliot ni

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Bibidear(f): 11:46am On Jul 02, 2018
komekn:

And how many goals did he score through the whole season in the EPL

I'll tell you 3. For a player bought as a striker for £25 million, would you say that's outstanding average or downright abysmal.

Clubs buy in form players in that context which club will be looking to pay £25 million for him now.
i sent u a mail but u have not replied
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:53am On Jul 02, 2018
Joebie:
Ohh stop it. And I’ve told u countless times no Super Eagles handler would ever reason like you. The Championship and the lower league is not held in high regard in Nigeria, and that would not change irrespective of what you say. If you like you can keep making the same argument. Rohr holds Bundesliga in high regard, and that’s just it.

But that's part of the problem, it's totally unjustified because it doesn't stand up to question.

Players who can't make it here are going to the Bundesliga to tear it up. Batshuayi and Ademola have stats that are top level in the Bundesliga. With regards to Ademola he had essentially come from league 1.

It's the top players in the Bundesliga that make it hear nit those who are struggling. Balogun is an exception he is in Brighton as cheap cover at a mere £1.8 million cost.

Our NFF officials also don't really do much to help the situation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:53am On Jul 02, 2018
Bibidear:
i sent u a mail but u have not replied

Sorry will reply today.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4360) (4361) (4362) (4363) (4364) (4365) (4366) ... (16539) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jolly94, lakesidepapa(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.