Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,995 members, 7,876,765 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 06:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4683) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12009375 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4680) (4681) (4682) (4683) (4684) (4685) (4686) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 10:08pm On Sep 08, 2018
krattoss:
God forbid me to carry football matter for head again.. grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin you never see nothing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 10:09pm On Sep 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

Dude that pitch was too bad for that, the guys had to play safe. As soon as I saw that pitch and the quick bruise it gave Kalu, I wished our best players never played the match, in fact, at that point, I wished we prosecuted that match with the NPFL players. The Seychelles players also didnt come to play.

That isn't to exonerate Rohr of any blames because, he also got most of his calls wrong

Its not about the pitch its the Awful display of the boys ... our excuse should not be the pitch all the time ... do you know that Ighalo and Iheanacho over dribbled in that match ... even ,Musa tried to do the same . its high time we learn how to bury our chances when we see the opportunity to do so ...with the quality of our display today , we have failed to send warnings to other opponents in our group
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:12pm On Sep 08, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

That is how you show a country that you are not their mate. I wish our guys could have done this.

On that yeye pitch?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:15pm On Sep 08, 2018
the boy is very good
ChrisKels:

At this rate, this boy wont stay in the Segunda past the first half of the season. I read somewhere that Sevilla and several other la liga clubs are keeping tabs on him.

I'm tipping him to move to la liga in the winter transfer window.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:17pm On Sep 08, 2018
sontoly:

No kalu takes setpiece when he is on the pitch whether simon was playing or not, at bordaux they he is the taker now, on his first game he was sharing it with one dude, but at later games he became the full taker.

No true. Go watch Gent matches. Simon takes set pieces even with Kalu on the pitch. Fact

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:19pm On Sep 08, 2018
Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr was pleased with the performance of two players who made their international debut in the 3-0 rout of Seychelles on Saturday afternoon.

Bordeaux winger Samuel Kalu started and was in action for 85 minutes before he was replaced by Henry Onyekuru while Semi Ajayi came on for his debut with 17 minutes left on the clock.

The aforementioned players tasted action due to the non-availability of Ola Aina, Alex Iwobi and Moses Simon who are all recovering from injuries; Rohr has revealed that he hopes to have his absent players back when they face Libya next month, including his influential skipper Obi Mikel.

''Tenth of October is near, we will have our injured players like Ekong, Ola Aina, Obi Mikel will be fit also,'' Rohr said post-match in an interview with Super Eagles Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye.

''We found some new players today. Kalu had an interesting performance and also Ajayi, who did very well in his position as a defender.

''It is interesting that the group is progressing and finding new possibilities to replace some of our players.''

After two rounds of matches in Group E of Africa Cup of Nations qualifying, Nigeria are third with three points, one less than pacesetters Libya and South Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:20pm On Sep 08, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

My brother I can argue 24/7 about football because it is something I love to do but I would gain absolutely nothing from a childish online battle with some guy i know nothing about. He could be a 3rd grader in Iran for all I know.

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:21pm On Sep 08, 2018
Former Arsenal U23 captain Semi Ajayi has celebrated his debut for the Nigerian National Team in their 3-0 rout of minnows Seychelles in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on Saturday afternoon.

Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr handed a debut to the Rotherham United star when he introduced the versatile defender as replacement for the injured right-back, Chidozie Awaziem in the 73rd minute.

The dual-eligible Ajayi, who was born in London, was a member of the Flying Eagles squad at the 2013 Toulon Tournament in France, where he made three appearances against Belgium, Brazil and Portugal.

For five years, the 24-year-old was in the international wilderness before he received his first call-up to the senior national team last month.

''Was an honour to make my international debut today,'' Ajayi posted on Twitter.

''Humbled to finally represent my country at the highest level and even more grateful to mark it with a win and clean sheet. Thank you God ����� #SuperEagles''.

Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi and Ola Aina played for England's youth teams before they committed their international future to Nigeria but Ajayi was uncapped by the Young Lions prior to his maiden appearance for the Super Eagles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:22pm On Sep 08, 2018
forgiveness:

I don't know where people got that information that Isaac Success is a striker. Far from it.

In the last matches, he played in the La Liga this season, he played Isaac Success played as a RW. See the date below.

Rohr also played as a RW when he played for SE though he can play on the left too.

Isaac Success dey miss goals ooo.

Danjuma is not a RW. He is a LW.

RW; Kalu, Bazee, Isaac, Iwobi and Sheyi Ojo.

LW; Ahmed, Simon, Onyekuru, Danjuma and Lookman.

For the striker position, I will wait till the middle of the season.

Seyi Ojo is a left footer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:24pm On Sep 08, 2018
charlesemeka85:
noooooo nwakali scored against atm so he is better hahahahahahahahahahaha

Your sarcasm though.....I think that some us here take positions based on u17 performance of our players. NOOOO...these players have grown...they have undergone some developments...... for good or bad depending on the clubs and agents they chose....Nwakali has not really stepped up his game....he has opportunity to blossom....scouts are everywhere looking for talents...a gold fish has no hiding place...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:26pm On Sep 08, 2018
Former Kenya coach Amrouche adds that the South African clash was a tougher game he used to prepare for the Super Eagles.

“When we’re back home we’ll find a DVD and see what happened. I brought something new, it’s not easy,” Amrouche revealed in his post match interview after the game against Bafana Bafana on Saturday.

“Believe me, I would rather play Nigeria than Bafana, because I have experince playing against Nigeria and for me Bafana have fantastic players and its not easy playing South Africa.

“For me, I’m ready for Nigeria. If they want to play the two games in Nigeria it’s ok. If they (Nigeria) believe on juju too much or God but its not easy to play South Africa I stayed long night thinking of how to stop Percy Tau, Keagan Dolly, Vilakazi and Vincent Pule and those that did not play today.”

The Mediterranean Knights have played their home games in the World Cup and Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in Mali, Egypt and Tunisia over the last five years due to the unrest in Libya
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:27pm On Sep 08, 2018
Icon4s:

On that yeye pitch?

The pitch was ok IMO, they just didn't assert themselves. There was no sense of urgency, like they were still on the beach. They played down to the level of Seychelles they didn't show what they are about today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:31pm On Sep 08, 2018
forgiveness:

I don't know where people got that information that Isaac Success is a striker. Far from it.

In the last matches, he played in the La Liga this season, he played Isaac Success played as a RW. See the date below.

Rohr also played as a RW when he played for SE though he can play on the left too.

Isaac Success dey miss goals ooo.

Danjuma is not a RW. He is a LW.

RW; Kalu, Bazee, Isaac, Iwobi and Sheyi Ojo.

LW; Ahmed, Simon, Onyekuru, Danjuma and Lookman.

For the striker position, I will wait till the middle of the season.

Yes but his primary position is striking. There was a reason he played on the Wings for Malaga, the coach didnt trust him to lead his attack because he was unfit and over weight, about his time with Eagles, then we were still basking on the euphoria of Ighalos hit season in the EPL and Success was playing on the Wings for Watford, hence it was a no brainer. Good thing he now plays as a striker now, I pray he starts getting the goals because that will help him start ahead of Gray.

I wont list iwobi as a winger because he does better for us as an attacking midfielder, same as Musa who does better as a striker than on the Wings that people(me inclusive) call him head less fowl. I would list Musa as a striker or LWF. U are right Danjuma, now that makes his case more difficult. With Rohr as the coach and with Onyekuru and SiMoses plus Musa sef, I doubt Rohr will ever look Danjuma's way.

About Ojo and Ademola, as much as I admire them, I will only list them as prospects until we really have them in the bag. Now, working with what we have already, I would give Musa, Iheanacho, Success and Kayode the striking role for now, my right wingers would be Onyekuru, SiMoses, Danjuma* and possibly Lukman while my left wing goes to Kalu, Bazee and possibly Ojo or Chukwueze/Gong
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:31pm On Sep 08, 2018
charlesemeka85:
Former Kenya coach Amrouche adds that the South African clash was a tougher game he used to prepare for the Super Eagles.

“When we’re back home we’ll find a DVD and see what happened. I brought something new, it’s not easy,” Amrouche revealed in his post match interview after the game against Bafana Bafana on Saturday.

“Believe me, I would rather play Nigeria than Bafana, because I have experince playing against Nigeria and for me Bafana have fantastic players and its not easy playing South Africa.

“For me, I’m ready for Nigeria. If they want to play the two games in Nigeria it’s ok. If they (Nigeria) believe on juju too much or God but its not easy to play South Africa I stayed long night thinking of how to stop Percy Tau, Keagan Dolly, Vilakazi and Vincent Pule and those that did not play today.”

The Mediterranean Knights have played their home games in the World Cup and Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in Mali, Egypt and Tunisia over the last five years due to the unrest in Libya

Look at this dude. You couldn't even beat our CHAN team with a bribe taker at the helms lol. Anyways we call this bulletin board material. You show the players the comment every day and let it do the magic by firing them up.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:36pm On Sep 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

What a weak point

Kalu was among the top 5 last season and was the most valued. He was rated higher than everyone else in the whole of the Belgium league.

Since u must be among the tops in ur league to go to the world cup, Now, tell me, was Omeruo, Onazi, Shehu and Ekong among the top ten in Turkey grin was Ogu among the top 5 in Israel, was Balogun among the top 10 in Germany, was Simmy among the top 50 in Italy grin grin was Etebo among the top 100 in the laliga grin grin was idowu among the top 10 the Russian league grin grin

Musa Wague wasnt among the top 5 in the Belgian league last season but he was the over all best African right full back in the world cup. Dude u no get yarns abeg

Fat lie. Why em no win Ebony award and Belgium league players of the year? Lie lie. grin

Oga! Most of the players were our best players in their positions. That was all we got. Unlike Kalu's position that had better players that performed better than him. grin use ya brain. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:42pm On Sep 08, 2018
gamaliel9:
That Igbekeme is another gem...look at that fast i-2 touch......look at the way he confused the goalkeeper....

Wanted to say `invite him` and i just remembered that Rohr is our coach...i sighed....

Wetin em don do pass players in better leagues that he deserved a call?

Even with all Ramon Azeez's performance last season nobody think of am, na player wey na second division em don play throughout em career na em make we invite?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:44pm On Sep 08, 2018
EEGA:
I wonder why Kalu even started ahead of Onyekuru , maybe because he plays for bordeaux.

See better player dey glue for bench. Rohr na better coach?

Dat boy dey play ball. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:45pm On Sep 08, 2018
edi287:

His hyper conservative nature will be our undoing

Nobi hype, abeg. The boy is good. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:46pm On Sep 08, 2018
I was angry IGHALO was insult left right and cnter here

isan:
some are angry because onyekuru didn't get much minutes
some are angry awaziem was played out of position
some are angry because idowu scam them in 45mins grin
some are angry ighalo did got 90 mins
some are angry nwakali didn't get minutes
some are just okay the team got the job done
some want omeruo out
some want ajayi in (idowu remember?)
some are angry onyekuru didn't get much minute

choose your category
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:47pm On Sep 08, 2018
edi287:

I'd pick him over Ogu as a CB.

Of course. Exactly what I will do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:48pm On Sep 08, 2018
No doubt Omeruo is a big game player. Etebo and Musa are other examples.

Kog45:
Yes different opinions.

Ekong making Chelsea?

Oh you forget the same guy failed to make age grade Tottenham.

He failed to make it in Belgium.

Also at tail end of Turkish liga he lost his place.

Good for him at Udinese and am happy seeing him week in week out.

But my man Omeruo is better

Russia WC showed the difference between Omeruo and Ekong.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:48pm On Sep 08, 2018
forgiveness:

Fat lie. Why em no win Ebony award and Belgium league players of the year? Lie lie. grin

Oga! Most of the players were our best players in their positions. That was all we got. Unlike Kalu's position that had better players that performed better than him. grin use ya brain. grin

What exactly is the lie? That he was Belgium's biggest export this past window or that he was the most valued? Abi the lie is that he is among the top 5 best in Belgium last season? What really is the lie, I need facts not emotions bro. U love facts, so be factual here grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:48pm On Sep 08, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

The pitch was ok IMO, they just didn't assert themselves. There was no sense of urgency, like they were still on the beach. They played down to the level of Seychelles they didn't show what they are about today.

That pitch was bad my brother. Didn't u observe the bounce and roll of the balls? One can easily dislocate his ankle in an attempt to try a sliding tackle. You saw the kind of bruise Kalu got in the first minute of the game.

Remember also the away factor.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:49pm On Sep 08, 2018
sontoly:

I dont think rohr rates anyone oo, remember he is conservative, some people can perform better in training than on the pitch, I can remember someone said he rates osihmen highly, even there was times success was getting call ups even when he wasnt playing till rohr started dropping them.

I think the coach doesnt rate any one, he like using what he has at hand, the man is hyper conservative.

Hmmm! You may be right oo. I wondered why he kept Onyekuru on the bench till 3 minutes to the end of the game.

He is truly hyper conservative.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:01pm On Sep 08, 2018
komekn:

Seyi Ojo is a left footer

I know but he played mostly as a RW last season.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 11:02pm On Sep 08, 2018
charlesemeka85:

The Zambian coach said worse, las las he choked on his L.

what's up with coaches trash talking us in the media? First it was the Zambian coach, then the south African coach, then Dalic the Croatian coach and now this one. We don suffer sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 11:07pm On Sep 08, 2018
charlesemeka85:

I think this guy was the one in charge of Kenya when they nearly beat us in Calabar before we drew courtesy of our late Equalizer during the reign of Keshi.

That match must be giving him hope. Time Will tell
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:18pm On Sep 08, 2018
To other news, 20 year old Haitian-Japanese, Naomi Osaka won her first ever major — the US Open — beating Serena Williams. Williams will have to wait till next year to have another shot at tying the all-time record of 24 majors. Osaka was just a year old when her idol, Serena, won her first major.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:19pm On Sep 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

Yes but his primary position is striking. There was a reason he played on the Wings for Malaga, the coach didnt trust him to lead his attack because he was unfit and over weight, about his time with Eagles, then we were still basking on the euphoria of Ighalos hit season in the EPL and Success was playing on the Wings for Watford, hence it was a no brainer. Good thing he now plays as a striker now, I pray he starts getting the goals because that will help him start ahead of Gray.

I wont list iwobi as a winger because he does better for us as an attacking midfielder, same as Musa who does better as a striker than on the Wings that people(me inclusive) call him head less fowl. I would list Musa as a striker or LWF. U are right Danjuma, now that makes his case more difficult. With Rohr as the coach and with Onyekuru and SiMoses plus Musa sef, I doubt Rohr will ever look Danjuma's way.

About Ojo and Ademola, as much as I admire them, I will only list them as prospects until we really have them in the bag. Now, working with what we have already, I would give Musa, Iheanacho, Success and Kayode the striking role for now, my right wingers would be Onyekuru, SiMoses, Danjuma* and possibly Lukman while my left wing goes to Kalu, Bazee and possibly Ojo or Chukwueze/Gong

I have followed Success for long, since his days at la Liga to EPL, that is the reason I can tell you he was used more as a winger than a striker. Even when he played as a striker em dey miss goals left right center. I think that was why he was drafted to the wings.

You can see his stats below.

I don't think Musa does better as a striker, rather better as a LW.

I also don't consider Iwobi as a winger but Rohr go still consider him as a RW.

If Rohr doesn't look Danjuma way then I know he is enemy of progress. The boy wey don score three goals with 2 assists this season na em Rohr wan overlook. Make em no try am ooooo.

Lookman and Ojo are ready to play for us. Na Rohr dey dull.

If we have all these players available, dey competition no go small oo. grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:24pm On Sep 08, 2018
Success played as a striker in his last competitive game though. Musa was more influential as a CF when he was at CSKA Moscow.

Modified
Danjuma, Ojo, and Lookman — Taken note

forgiveness:

I have followed Success for long, since his days at la Liga to EPL, that is the reason I can tell you he was used more as a winger than a striker. Even when he played as a striker em dey miss goals left right center. I think that was why he was drafted to the wings.

You can see his stats below.

I don't think Musa does better as a striker, rather better as a LW.

I also don't consider Iwobi as a winger but Rohr go still consider him as a RW.

If Rohr doesn't look Danjuma way then I know he is enemy of progress. The boy wey don score three goals with 2 assists this season na em Rohr wan overlook. Make em no try am ooooo.

Lookman and Ojo are ready to play for us. Na Rohr dey dull.

If we have all these players available, dey competition no go small oo. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:33pm On Sep 08, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 11:44pm On Sep 08, 2018
forgiveness:

Then why crucify Ighalo? undecided
Cos I am one of his fans and I expected more from him loll

(1) (2) (3) ... (4680) (4681) (4682) (4683) (4684) (4685) (4686) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.