Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,123 members, 7,960,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 04:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5526) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12490285 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5523) (5524) (5525) (5526) (5527) (5528) (5529) ... (16717) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:49pm On Feb 17, 2019
Icon4s:

Big both geographically and population wise. At least they are more populated than 70% of all countries in Africa with a population of over 20 million. Smaller nations like Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Rwanda, Seychelles and Mauritius boast of better facilities.

I agree their GDP is nothing to write home about but why bother to host when u don't have the resources and capacity? Well, it is CAF I will blame.
Just blame CAF for taking it to Niger, the country doesn't have a pedigree for us to hold them to.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:50pm On Feb 17, 2019
tbaba1234:

I don't know what Ikuowem played in this tournament.

Well, the selection is relative. I can't even think of any other LB from the other participating teams that stood out.

Generally the tournament fell short of standards.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:51pm On Feb 17, 2019
tbaba1234:

I don't know what Ikuowem played in this tournament.
He shone only in the Semis. I didn't see any LB in the whole tournament asides him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 8:54pm On Feb 17, 2019
busky007:
Samu was an unused sub in the Villarreal match
Seems the coach is not interested in his development
Dude need to leave Villarreal as soon as possible else his story may be worse than Mikel's

I beg to differ Sir. It is the same coach that gave him the breakthrough from Villarreal B team to main team..he was sacked then reinstated...Samu played in Europa League with an assist...The dynamics of spanish league is in play here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:55pm On Feb 17, 2019
Odunayaw:
Big geographically Abi which one

meanwhile Ozornwafor (CB) and Ikuowem Udoh (LB) made the Tournament XI

Ozornwafor-Ogbu CB pairing is one of the major achievements for us in this tournament.

We need to see them against top tactical European and South American sides at the WYC. But so far they have been excellent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2019
Odunayaw:
Just blame CAF for taking it to Niger, the country doesn't have a pedigree for us to hold them to.

So many states in Nigeria can boast of two stadiums that are better than the two presented by Niger.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:09pm On Feb 17, 2019
John Obi Mikel's stock continues to rise in the English Championship after another consummate display as Middlesbrough beat Blackburn 1-0 in a league game on Sunday afternoon.

The Nigeria international earned his fourth league appearance at Ewood Park and was so adept in his midfield duties for his side, a showing which must have pleased not just his club manager, but also Gernot Rohr

The 31-year-old who racked up two dribbles, made one tackle, struck one shot and had a pass success rate of ninety percent, as per whoscored earned the plaudits of his club fans in magnificent style.

Below are some of what Boro fans had to say about his performance on Twitter :

@jamestate09 : ''John Obi Mikel is better than Messi''.

@Crookston3 : ''mikel_john_obi is different class ��⚪ #UTB''.

@IwanEvans19 : ''Made hard work of it, but nice to know we’ve got the best goalkeeper and midfielder in the league! @RandzOfficial @mikel_john_obi''.

@sammfcthompson : ''John Obi Mikel - would get in any prem team outside the top 6. Levels.''

@GraingerNeil : ''In a season of terrible transfer windows, John Obi Mikel looks like an insanely good bit of business. What a player #utb''.

@Cooky34 :''We’ve got Mikel, Jon Obi Mikel, I just don’t think you understand..... ''

@SirBenGlass : ''John Obi Mikel is head and shoulders above any other player in the Championship #boro .''

@joesheekeyy : ''Good win that. Thought we were good but we should have had 3/4 and not relied on Randolph’s save at the end. Britt was brilliant and should be first name on the team sheet. Fletcher was bright and how the **** do we have obi Mikel? He’s an unbelievable footballer''.

@JohnObiMickle : ''is John obi mikel the best player the championship has ever seen''.

@VarleyLake : ''John Obi Mikel is the best player in the championship, and I will argue all night long with anyone who disagrees, blokes different class''.

@CJThornaby : ''Tony Pulis deserves unlimited credit for bring Jon Obi Mikel to the club.''

@tomhooley : ''How have we got John Obi Mikel playing for us? #baller''.

@George141414 : ''John Obi Mikel looks a great player for Boro. Done very well to get him over Derby.''

@Ryanboro99 : ''Having John Obi Mikel is a cheat code in the Championship no midfielder can touch him''.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:15pm On Feb 17, 2019
Icon4s:

Ozornwafor-Ogbu CB pairing is one of the major achievements for us in this tournament.

We need to see them against top tactical European and South American sides at the WYC. But so far they have been excellent.

It is not one of, rather, it is the only major achievement.

A team that could only score a total of 4 goals in open play in 5 games (2 of those goals were flukes), IS THAT ONE A TEAM?
Just like 0.05 goal average per game against African opposition; what will they do against European and South American oppositions? No natural goal scorers. No prolific player that could score in the whole of 90 minutes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:28pm On Feb 17, 2019
Icon4s:

Agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:34pm On Feb 17, 2019
Oasis007:

grin

I kept to my Words...... Didn't follow nor see any of their Games! Grandpas masquerading as Kids.
Same here man. Such a waste of time...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:34pm On Feb 17, 2019
ChrisKels:

It is not one of, rather, it is the only major achievement.

A team that could only score a total of 4 goals in open play in 5 games (2 of those goals were flukes), IS THAT ONE A TEAM?
Just like 0.05 goal average per game against African opposition; what will they do against European and South American oppositions? No natural goal scorers. No prolific player that could score in the whole of 90 minutes.

So u don't consider WYC qualification as a part of the achievements? What about the goalkeepers?

BTW which 2 goals were fluke goals?

Emm please Mali the evetual winners how many goals did they score? undecided

And please what do you think happened to Senegal today? U were going to use them to show us how to play on a potato pitch grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:42pm On Feb 17, 2019
Goal and an assist for Taiwo Awoniyi

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:53pm On Feb 17, 2019

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:55pm On Feb 17, 2019
Icon4s:

So u don't consider WYC qualification as a part of the achievements? What about the goalkeepers?

BTW which 2 goals were fluke goals?

Emm please Mali the evetual winners how many goals did they score? undecided

And please what do you think happened to Senegal today? U were going to use them to show us how to play on a potato pitch grin

Qualification for WYC is a unique achievement. Specifically, I was writing about team play, talents and techniques, not Qualification.

Our team-play lacked pattern and we were so predictable, hence we easily got nullified by our opponents. No achievement

Technically, we were poor all through. No achievement.

Talent wise, Igoh and Ozornwafor impressed. The only outfield players with basic football intelligence. They look to have a future both professionally and in the senior national team. "major" achievement

Yes the goalkeepers can be said to be achievements buh they were not really tested, even though Oremade looked assured. Hence I dont consider them "major achievements" but "achievements"

About ur last paragraph, if Nigeria had played Senegal, u would have been here giving excuses as to why they couldn't break down Senegal bkus of the poor pitch. The pitch was poor, yet Mali took to it like a duck to water, what stopped Nigeria from being Mali, maybe the Nigerians were brought up in Europe where great pitches abound? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
charlesemeka85:
John Obi Mikel's stock continues to rise in the English Championship after another consummate display as Middlesbrough beat Blackburn 1-0 in a league game on Sunday afternoon.

The Nigeria international earned his fourth league appearance at Ewood Park and was so adept in his midfield duties for his side, a showing which must have pleased not just his club manager, but also Gernot Rohr

The 31-year-old who racked up two dribbles, made one tackle, struck one shot and had a pass success rate of ninety percent, as per whoscored earned the plaudits of his club fans in magnificent style.

Below are some of what Boro fans had to say about his performance on Twitter :

@jamestate09 : ''John Obi Mikel is better than Messi''.

@Crookston3 : ''mikel_john_obi is different class ��⚪ #UTB''.

@IwanEvans19 : ''Made hard work of it, but nice to know we’ve got the best goalkeeper and midfielder in the league! @RandzOfficial @mikel_john_obi''.

@sammfcthompson : ''John Obi Mikel - would get in any prem team outside the top 6. Levels.''

@GraingerNeil : ''In a season of terrible transfer windows, John Obi Mikel looks like an insanely good bit of business. What a player #utb''.

@Cooky34 :''We’ve got Mikel, Jon Obi Mikel, I just don’t think you understand..... ''

@SirBenGlass : ''John Obi Mikel is head and shoulders above any other player in the Championship #boro .''

@joesheekeyy : ''Good win that. Thought we were good but we should have had 3/4 and not relied on Randolph’s save at the end. Britt was brilliant and should be first name on the team sheet. Fletcher was bright and how the **** do we have obi Mikel? He’s an unbelievable footballer''.

@JohnObiMickle : ''is John obi mikel the best player the championship has ever seen''.

@VarleyLake : ''John Obi Mikel is the best player in the championship, and I will argue all night long with anyone who disagrees, blokes different class''.

@CJThornaby : ''Tony Pulis deserves unlimited credit for bring Jon Obi Mikel to the club.''

@tomhooley : ''How have we got John Obi Mikel playing for us? #baller''.

@George141414 : ''John Obi Mikel looks a great player for Boro. Done very well to get him over Derby.''

@Ryanboro99 : ''Having John Obi Mikel is a cheat code in the Championship no midfielder can touch him''.

Wow. I did not expect Mikel's move to Middlesbrough to work out due to the history of Pulis long ball plays. But it seems it is working out fine for Mikel. I hope this gives him a platform to show what a brilliant talent he is.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 10:29pm On Feb 17, 2019
Aina na Baller
The guy should just become a winger is a big threat when going forward!!

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:32pm On Feb 17, 2019
ChrisKels:

Qualification for WYC is a unique achievement. Specifically, I was writing about team play, talents and techniques, not Qualification.

Our team-play lacked pattern and we were so predictable, hence we easily got nullified by our opponents. No achievement

Technically, we were poor all through. No achievement.

Talent wise, Igoh and Ozornwafor impressed. The only outfield players with basic football intelligence. They look to have a future both professionally and in the senior national team. "major" achievement

Yes the goalkeepers can be said to be achievements buh they were not really tested, even though Oremade looked assured. Hence I dont consider them "major achievements" but "achievements"

About ur last paragraph, if Nigeria had played Senegal, u would have been here giving excuses as to why they couldn't break down Senegal bkus of the poor pitch. The pitch was poor, yet Mali took to it like a duck to water, what stopped Nigeria from being Mali, maybe the Nigerians were brought up in Europe where great pitches abound? grin

Oga u said we should watch out for Senegal and not Mali. Mali that we out-played were better than Senegal for the most part of the 90mins today. But did Mali that "took to it like a Duck to water" win the game during regulation time? Was that not the same result Nigeria got?

If u refuse to acknowledge that the quality of that pitch affected both teams today more especially Senegal then you are being totally dishonest.

I am not saying we had a Super team. But my points are that team is not as bad as you are painting it. I have already highlighted their areas of strength and weaknesses earlier on. And secondly the ground condition was very poor and this affected virtually all the teams in the tournament.

You attributed Nigeria's penalty misses to poor quality of the players but can u also say same for this Senegalese team which could only convert 2 out of 5 spot kicks?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:56pm On Feb 17, 2019
Senegal has never won any CAF or FIFA organized competition at any level of their Football.

They have always been referred to as "the perennial under-achievers". They have again proven that tonight.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by busky007: 11:00pm On Feb 17, 2019
tbaba1234:

Mikel has had a great career. If Chukwueze turns out to be half as successful, that's a great thing.
i meant mourinho turning Mikel to a dmf will be better than playing only 7 matches per season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by busky007: 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2019
gamaliel9:

I beg to differ Sir. It is the same coach that gave him the breakthrough from Villarreal B team to main team..he was sacked then reinstated...Samu played in Europa League with an assist...The dynamics of spanish league is in play here
enlighten me on the dynamics cuz you can't compare the playing time he was getting before to now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 11:33pm On Feb 17, 2019
Icon4s:

Oga u said we should watch for Senegal and not Mali. Mali that we out-played were better than Senegal for the most part of the 90mins today. But did Mali that "took to it like a Duck to water" win the game during regulation time? Was that not the same result Nigeria got?

If u refuse to acknowledge that the quality of that pitch affected both teams today more especially Senegal then you are being totally dishonest.

I am not saying we had a Super team. But my points are that team is not as bad as you are painting it. I have already highlighted their areas of strength and weaknesses earlier on. And secondly the ground condition was very poor and this affected virtually all the teams in the tournament.

You attributed Nigeria's penalty misses to poor quality of the players but can u also say same for this Senegalese team which could only convert 2 out of 5 spot kicks?
those guys were clearly the best in that tournament. Oh my days, they took Mali to the cleaners. How unlucky they were. Quite unfortunate!
Ozuruma was the only weak link in that team. They gave their all and left nothing on the pitch!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 11:37pm On Feb 17, 2019
[quote author=TheGoodJoe post=75837920]

Wow. I did not expect Mikel's move to Middlesbrough to work out due to the history of Pulis long ball plays. But it seems it is working out fine for Mikel. I hope this gives him a platform to show what a brilliant talent he is. [/quote)
If Matic could be balling for United, how could you have underestimated Mikel!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:12am On Feb 18, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Wow. I did not expect Mikel's move to Middlesbrough to work out due to the history of Pulis long ball plays. But it seems it is working out fine for Mikel. I hope this gives him a platform to show what a brilliant talent he is.

Key attribute of brilliant talents is adaptability, so Happy For Mikel, shown once again how talented he is.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 1:32am On Feb 18, 2019
Taliban:

Key attribute of brilliant talents is adaptability, so Happy For Mikel, shown once again how talented he is.

Unlike one overhyped open-mouthed guy that has been waiting for the prefect system, formation and coach. grin.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dannyxy(m): 2:04am On Feb 18, 2019
Curtisaxel7:

Unlike one overhyped open-mouthed guy that has been waiting for the prefect system, formation and coach. grin.

hating and body shaming any player would not improve your own life... You that your mouth is closed, how many people are hyping you ?

I just wonder how below the belt, some pretentious people would go in the name of fake objectivity and fake cloak of criticism... Smh grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:44am On Feb 18, 2019
Good news guys, Carl Ikeme has defeated cancer

praaaaaaaisssse God!!!!!!

wow!! This is the best news so far to me. Ecstatic!!!

Modified!!

Afcon here we come

Thank you Uzoho, the boss is back!!!

14 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:32am On Feb 18, 2019
daveP:

Modified!!

Afcon here we come

That is great news, thank God. I don't think he's back to active soccer again, I believe he's working on coaching.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:40am On Feb 18, 2019
daveP:

Modified!!

Afcon here we come

huh, that dude retired already, are you still stuck in 2018?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:10am On Feb 18, 2019
Mikel is too good for the Championship. He makes things look so easy. We have no replacement for that kind of quality.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:52am On Feb 18, 2019
daveP:

Modified!!

Afcon here we come

I don't think Carl can come back to competitive Football. He has been out for so long and age is no longer on his side.

He is a goalkeepers trainer in training now

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:57am On Feb 18, 2019
tbaba1234:
Mikel is too good for the Championship. He makes things look so easy. We have no replacement of that kind of quality.

That is what talent does for a player.

Mikel is one of Nigeria's most underrated players. Just like JJ Okocha he has become better and more influential on the pitch with age.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:00am On Feb 18, 2019
I'm very happy for these guys Ndidi, aina, ekong, Emem eduok, jamilu Collins and etebor. They are really getting the necessary minutes

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5523) (5524) (5525) (5526) (5527) (5528) (5529) ... (16717) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.