Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,933 members, 7,872,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:31 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (591) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11988938 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) ... (16392) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:21pm On Feb 24, 2017
Certitude:
mr mickael2, Taiwo is useless.
ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:30pm On Feb 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The super eagles belong to every Nigeria u cannot shut the door on anyone young or old. Besides what happened to the guy who said bring them all to camp and see who is best?

you caught him right in the center
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 4:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
Kog45:

CC:MICHAEL2

A player's era isn't determined by his age. Ogbeche played when he was 20 or so, his own era ended before he even turned 25, Zidane's era was supposed to end around 2005, but he came out of retirement to lead his nation to the 2006 world cup final, if not for Keshi's biased team selection, Martins ought to have been a constant regular in the team right now, ahead of Ideye and Ighalo atleast. When did he ever stop performing? USA, Levante, China you name it, all of them he has scored goals and played well too. If we can't find a suitable back-up left back then Taiwo deserves a look-in too, he was immense for Kemi in the norwegian league last season, he was their top scorer at some point! And if his era is gone then what is Mikel still doing in the team? It baffles me that you use 'experience' to justify the inculsion of one player but you neglect it totally when it comes to another player

Consistencies in d Super Eagle separate Mikel and Obagoal.Mikel has been consistent for past 5 years and still played our last international match with a goal while Obagoal played last 5 years ago.So they are incomparable when it comes to era issue.

I remember Keshi gave Obagoal a chance during one of d qualifying match,if i can remember one or two matches,though d rest history.If i may ask whom w u picked between Obagoal,Ideye,Ighalo in d last 5years.

There are way to this,played to your potential and no coach w ignored u,if Rohr believe Obagoal is d answer,he should be call ASAP.I don't buy d idea that Martins is too old for Eagles but it w take a grace for a player that have left d stage 5 years ago to stage a comeback when we are having young ones craving for d shirt

Mind u i rate martins higher than both Ighalo and Ideye when it comes to talent but when u don't manage d talent,d mediocre w take over your position.

)

permit to make reference to when i was playing school football. Each one of us had a prefered CB pair, when it comes to some matches the tutor(not necessarily a coach)will tell the young ones to sitdown and watch their seniors, mind you they were just two classes above us and they weren't really better. You sit down and you watch them, how they shout at their teammates and stuffs like that, that is the meaning of gaining experience from an experienced player. Obagoal is just 31 or 32, Mikel isn't far behind. Obagoal is currently better than Ideye and Ighalo and on current form, he is better than Iheanacho, fact. Ideye is what? 27 Ighalo is also 27 i think and they are already gone, our plan now has to be how to groom Oshimen(who I don't really fancy as a member of our future team), Nacho and the really young lads. Who will they learn from? They might learn leadership from Mikel but they still need to learn the instincts of an experienced striker from Obagoal. This form of experience is different from club football experience, besides African football is another thing entirely. Now Ideye and Ighalo are not recognised strikers on the African continent, Martins is, so why can't they learn from him? 2018 is next year and Martins would be at most 33, Trezeguet went to the 2006 world cup almost at 35 etc etc. We need experienced strikers who are good enough, Iheanacho played a good game against Algeria if it was an Epl match, but in Africa something that is perceived as a good game in the Uk isn't really a good game in Africa, we want to see the beauty of the game not really the tactical side most times. We want to see swift strikers and smart runs into the box not a striker who can press or even fall deep, if we can teach the younger generations this aspect of football, trust me Iheanacho can learn from him and it will improve his game generally. Drogba and Eto for example understood the difference between the African game and the European game and they will able to combine it to devastating effect, sometimes you see Drogba pressing tirelessly like an European player and sometimes he would just use brute strenght to win games like an African

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 5:47pm On Feb 24, 2017
terzurum5:
Swiss Nigerian Defender Manuel Akanji Shining Bright At FC Basel

Nigeria and Switzerland might go head to head for 21 year old defender Manuel Akanji who has broken into the first team set up at Swiss side FC Basel.

A full international for Switzerland at youth level, he is eligible for Nigeria through his father who is a Nigerian, but Nigeria are yet to establish contact with him to switch allegiance to the Super Eagles.

However, if he sustains his progress at FC Basel, a drag over his international future will no doubt take place in the nearest future, as Nigeria are presently trying to lure players with dual nationality to the senior national team.

Akanji scored one of the goals for his side in a seven goal thriller which his side edge 4-3 against Lausanne Sport, a game that also saw him go up against former Super Eagles star Taiye Taiwo.

Since joining FC Basel last season, the young centre back has made ten league appearances for the Swiss giants in addition to playing three more games in the domestic Cup, and a solitary appearance in the Europa League.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/02/21/swiss-nigerian-defender-manuel-akanji-shining-bright-at-fc-basel/
this guy must be murphy akanji son
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 5:58pm On Feb 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Heck no, he has just been losing since he got there no big deal. Now that his team signed Ideye they will do just fine. I think Mikel is even the captain of his club.
yes he is the captain
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:23pm On Feb 24, 2017
I have faith in aaron samuel i don't know why something tells me he is good striker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:25pm On Feb 24, 2017
Mickael2:
)

permit to make reference to when i was playing school football. Each one of us had a prefered CB pair, when it comes to some matches the tutor(not necessarily a coach)will tell the young ones to sitdown and watch their seniors, mind you they were just two classes above us and they weren't really better. You sit down and you watch them, how they shout at their teammates and stuffs like that, that is the meaning of gaining experience from an experienced player. Obagoal is just 31 or 32, Mikel isn't far behind. Obagoal is currently better than Ideye and Ighalo and on current form, he is better than Iheanacho, fact. Ideye is what? 27 Ighalo is also 27 i think and they are already gone, our plan now has to be how to groom Oshimen(who I don't really fancy as a member of our future team), Nacho and the really young lads. Who will they learn from? They might learn leadership from Mikel but they still need to learn the instincts of an experienced striker from Obagoal. This form of experience is different from club football experience, besides African football is another thing entirely. Now Ideye and Ighalo are not recognised strikers on the African continent, Martins is, so why can't they learn from him? 2018 is next year and Martins would be at most 33, Trezeguet went to the 2006 world cup almost at 35 etc etc. We need experienced strikers who are good enough, Iheanacho played a good game against Algeria if it was an Epl match, but in Africa something that is perceived as a good game in the Uk isn't really a good game in Africa, we want to see the beauty of the game not really the tactical side most times. We want to see swift strikers and smart runs into the box not a striker who can press or even fall deep, if we can teach the younger generations this aspect of football, trust me Iheanacho can learn from him and it will improve his game generally. Drogba and Eto for example understood the difference between the African game and the European game and they will able to combine it to devastating effect, sometimes you see Drogba pressing tirelessly like an European player and sometimes he would just use brute strenght to win games like an African

U can't prove Obagoal is ahead of Ideye on current form, Ideye's numbers have been great currently.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:30pm On Feb 24, 2017
enomakos:
this guy must be murphy akanji son
Honestly we shared d same thought.If d guy is Murphy son then we should not have problem in convincing him to pledge his allegiance to Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:58pm On Feb 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U can't prove Obagoal is ahead of Ideye on current form, Ideye's numbers have been great currently.

how many goals did Ighalo score from January last year till now? I used January because the Chinese league hasn't been active, summer break or so
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 7:00pm On Feb 24, 2017
Are we talking of the same match in the Audi cup that confirmed that Taiwo was going to be a flop in Milan? Ta!!! No repeat this thing make Milan fans no descend on you. This is why I always skip youtube highlights, very misleading. Robben ended Taiwo that day. Infact I'm sure they must have specially sent Taiwo for happy ending massage after the game. I go find the clip post here....

joseph1013:

This video is gold. Robben could not believe it.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:35pm On Feb 24, 2017
Who is watching MFM, who saw that goal?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:37pm On Feb 24, 2017
Mickael2:

how many goals did Ighalo score from January last year till now? I used January because the Chinese league hasn't been active, summer break or so

I said Ideye, why are u bringing up Ighalo? Ideye has scored 15 goals up till this point.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
goldfish80:
Did anyone watch Kylie Mbappe this night? I've been taking about this dude for the past few months here.

I was telling a friend as we watched the Monaco Vs Man city game earlier that if this boy named Mbappe decides to play of Cameroun, we may not beat them over the two legs.

That boys Celine is damn too high. He has the potential to win the World footballer of the year if he keeps up at the rate he is going.

Watching him makes me feel bad for Iheanacho because I know he would have been just as good if Man city had developed him properly.

For what it's worth, as an African, I want Mbappe to play for Cameroun but only after our double header in August.
bros,is this Mbape better than all our players?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:53pm On Feb 24, 2017
Napoleon55:
yes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:53pm On Feb 24, 2017
Napoleon55:
bros,is this Mbape better than all our players

Another way to put it, is who do we have that is better

Consider that this boy is documented and recorded born in France and undeniably 18 years old, is also amazing. I

Compared to our most promising striker Kelechi who is 20 years old and has played 40 games for Manchester city and scored 12.

Mbappe has played 29 games and scored 9.

Who is faster I would say Mbappe who is more clinical and technically gifted you can debate until tomorrow.

Who would cost more in the transfer market then I think there is no debate, Mbappe.

The Good news he will probably never play for Cameroon, if not we would be in hot pepper soup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:01pm On Feb 24, 2017
Napoleon55:
I don't know if he is better than all of our players but currently, he is the best young player in Europe. Any club willing to get his services must be willing to pay close to 50M.
I don't know if any of our players is worth that much.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:07pm On Feb 24, 2017
komekn:

Consider that this boy is documented and recorded born in France and undeniably 18 years old, is also amazing. I

Compared to our most promising striker Kelechi who is 20 years old and has played 40 games for Manchester city and scored 12.

Who is faster I would say Mbappe who is more clinical and technically gifted you can debate until tomorrow.

Who would cost more in the transfer market then I think there is no debate, Mbappe.

The Good news he will probably never play for Cameroon, if not we would be in hot pepper soup.

Good news he won't play for Cameroun? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:38pm On Feb 24, 2017
goldfish80:

I don't know if he is better than all of our players but currently, he is the best young player in Europe. Any club willing to get his services must be willing to pay close to 50M.

Go and ask Wenger for Iwobi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:38pm On Feb 24, 2017
goldfish80:

the truth is, he is better than ours who are we going to compare him with namely kelechi? Iwobi? Success? Onyekuru? Lookman? Yahaya? He is better bro

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:42pm On Feb 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Go and ask Wenger for Iwobi.
Iwobi is not worth 50M,you know it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:47pm On Feb 24, 2017
maidaboi:
the truth is, he is better than ours who are we going to compare him with namely kelechi? Iwobi? Success? Onyekuru? Lookman? Yahaya? He is better bro
I actually rate him as a future Ballon d'or winner.
France have the best collection of young footballers around currently. They could walk away easily with the next world cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
komekn:

If a player like Kelechi Iheanacho had found himself in such a club at an early stage with less competition. He would have shone better than Mbappe of a guy.

I repeat if Nacho was fortunate to go to a Club where the Coaches believed in him and allowed him enjoy some good playing minutes ehn....... guy forget all this talk.

Man city has slowed his progress and the earlier his handlers understand this, the better for his carrier.

So Mbappe has become another Semi-god in football to singlehandedly guarantee victory if he were to play for Cameroon against Nigeria, "hian" is the guy another version of Messi?
hmmmmmmm na waooooooo

Is Mbappe better than Victor Moses too gringrin

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:15pm On Feb 24, 2017
Mickael2:
)

permit to make reference to when i was playing school football. Each one of us had a prefered CB pair, when it comes to some matches the tutor(not necessarily a coach)will tell the young ones to sitdown and watch their seniors, mind you they were just two classes above us and they weren't really better. You sit down and you watch them, how they shout at their teammates and stuffs like that, that is the meaning of gaining experience from an experienced player. Obagoal is just 31 or 32, Mikel isn't far behind. Obagoal is currently better than Ideye and Ighalo and on current form, he is better than Iheanacho, fact. Ideye is what? 27 Ighalo is also 27 i think and they are already gone, our plan now has to be how to groom [/b]Oshimen(who I don't really fancy as a member of our future team),[b] Nacho and the really young lads. Who will they learn from? They might learn leadership from Mikel but they still need to learn the instincts of an experienced striker from Obagoal. This form of experience is different from club football experience, besides African football is another thing entirely. Now Ideye and Ighalo are not recognised strikers on the African continent, Martins is, so why can't they learn from him? 2018 is next year and Martins would be at most 33, Trezeguet went to the 2006 world cup almost at 35 etc etc. We need experienced strikers who are good enough, Iheanacho played a good game against Algeria if it was an Epl match, but in Africa something that is perceived as a good game in the Uk isn't really a good game in Africa, we want to see the beauty of the game not really the tactical side most times. We want to see swift strikers and smart runs into the box not a striker who can press or even fall deep, if we can teach the younger generations this aspect of football, trust me Iheanacho can learn from him and it will improve his game generally. Drogba and Eto for example understood the difference between the African game and the European game and they will able to combine it to devastating effect, sometimes you see Drogba pressing tirelessly like an European player and sometimes he would just use brute strenght to win games like an African
I am curious @the bolded. What's your reason for stating that you don't see Osimhen as a member of our future team?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:26pm On Feb 24, 2017
komekn:
Forgiveness,

I am impressed by your open-minded approach and willingness to consider all options.

I have mentioned Obagoal but nobody apart from you has really given him consideration. Young player that we are talking about are largely unproven. We can not dismiss older players on account of age and or there is a possible new better kid on the block.

How many of our young promising strikers have achieved what Obagoal has achieved. Martins could be our most consistent striker over the last 10 years everywhere he has gone he has scored goals.

What's his performance level like now? Now as much as we think the Chinese league is a weak one. They will not be spending big chunks of money on dead strikers, they are not stupid. You now have a lot of world class strikers there now.

In this regard I can no longer say the Chinese league na moi moi. Comparatively is the Greek, Turkish, Bosnia, and Nordic leagues better, I doubt this currently.

So what about OBAGOAL don't know if he can still cut it

I totally agree with you on this one. The mistake we are making is discarding players on age grounds and not necessarily on current form. Who cares if they are currently in form in Nigeria?

All they seek for is untested and inconsistent 'potential' talent.

These is why we and most African countries never made headway in all the World Cups we had participated.

The one who made headway, check their teams and you will assuredly see old cargoes e.g Cameroon had Roger Miller while Ghana had Gyan. Even france had Zidane who came out of retirement to singlehandedly helped France to the finals.

I am not saying we Park all the old cargoes to our tournament ooo. But I am saying, let us give the players that are currently inform the chance to prove themselves.

Afterall, the so called potentials ain't doing anything special.

Next year is world cup and yet we put much expectations and emphasis on so called potentials still warming the bench.

Iheanacho dey relax for bench but some will still put him ahead of those inform in their starting 11. grin

See Ibrahimovic, if na Nigerian player, em go near national team.

I totally agree with you on this one. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:37pm On Feb 24, 2017
Icon4s:

No! The bolded should be we should try them to see if they can be integrated into the team. "Must make sure they are integrated into the team" even if they are off the mark? Na their Papa get national team?

And to the first bolded, I also say a capital NO. Leone Balogun, Kenneth Omeruo, Musa Mohammed, Sehu Abdulahi and even Ogenyi Onazi can play RB.

Ok na! grin

You said we should not experiment Joel Obi at LB or LWB because he has played in that position before but why did you add Onazi? grin

Commot Shehu and Musa. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:44pm On Feb 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The super eagles belong to every Nigeria u cannot shut the door on anyone young or old. Besides what happened to the guy who said bring them all to camp and see who is best?

We have to keep future tourneys in mind when we are selecting players. This is not about giving players a chance who can help build a Solid Super Eagles that will stand the test of time.

This is about a player who can offer for a short period of time. When I talk of giving players chances, it is about promoting young players to prove that they are as good or better than the experienced players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:51pm On Feb 24, 2017
komekn:

Na wa, you are counting the few minutes Iheanacho comes in as games played. Bias. Mbappe is good but I will prefer to watch both make steady run of games before judging him better than Iheanacho.

If Mbappe was at City, he would sit on the bench. Fact.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:53pm On Feb 24, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

If a player like Kelechi Iheanacho had found himself in such a club at an early stage with less competition. He would have shone better than Mbappe of a guy.

I repeat if Nacho was fortunate to go to a Club where the Coaches believed in him and allowed him enjoy some good playing minutes ehn....... guy forget all this talk.

Man city has slowed his progress and the earlier his handlers understand this, the better for his carrier.

So Mbappe has become another Semi-god in football to singlehandedly guarantee victory if he were to play for Cameroon against Nigeria, "hian" is the guy another version of Messi?
hmmmmmmm na waooooooo

Is Mbappe better than Victor Moses too gringrin

I think the right term is that Manchester City slowed Iheanacho's hype. Judge Iheanacho after he plays regular games. That is the best way to judge his development at City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55pm On Feb 24, 2017
forgiveness:

I totally agree with you on this one. The mistake we are making is discarding players on age grounds and not necessarily on current form. Who cares if they are currently in form in Nigeria?

All they seek for is untested and inconsistent 'potential' talent.

These is why we and most African countries never made headway in all the World Cups we had participated.

The one who made headway, check their teams and you will assuredly see old cargoes e.g Cameroon had Roger Miller while Ghana had Gyan. Even france had Zidane who came out of retirement to singlehandedly helped France to the finals.

I am not saying we Park all the old cargoes to our tournament ooo. But I am saying, let us give the players that are currently inform the chance to prove themselves.

Afterall, the so called potentials ain't doing anything special.

Next year is world cup and yet we put much expectations and emphasis on so called potentials still warming the bench.

Iheanacho dey relax for bench but some will still put him ahead of those inform in their starting 11. grin

See Ibrahimovic, if na Nigerian player, em go near national team.

I totally agree with you on this one. grin

Iheanacho is on the bench because of the high competition in City. Martins will not see Bench at City. Yet You want to make regular time at MLS and China as the bomb.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 12:06am On Feb 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho is on the bench because of the high competition in City. Martins will not see Bench at City. Yet You want to make regular time at MLS and China as the bomb.
i wander ooh

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 12:09am On Feb 25, 2017
Sunday Oliseh's club won away today by 3 goals to 2

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:35am On Feb 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Where was Man City when Martins was a shining star at Inter Millan? grin

Where was Man City when Martins was a star in the days of the Newcastle of Alan Sherea? grin

Where was Man City when Martins was a star with the Champions of Bundusliga? grin

When it comes to talent, we know Martins is more talented than Iheanacho. grin

Make Iheanacho achieve wetin Martins achieved first before you compare him with Martins. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) ... (16392) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: zicky(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.