Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,404 members, 7,881,475 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:44 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (641) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12033380 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (16411) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:03am On Mar 16, 2017
Musa Muhammad in Bosnia.. Full Match... Played as a left winger/ left back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYNJM4x5lY&sns=tw

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:13am On Mar 16, 2017
Impressed with Chidera Ezeh display in the midfield. He lost the ball once but he made clean Tackles, won headers and was always willing to get forward.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:29am On Mar 16, 2017
Monaco guys really tried.
There is advantage I observed yesterday,,, height Dae good oo cheesy,,, Fabinho and bakyaoko height helped dem a lot,,,,,

That bakyaoko guy,,,, is wonderful player

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:29am On Mar 16, 2017
jotey:

Yea you can't expect rohr to call up someone that is not yet ready

I think rohr is trying to avoid what happened during ebuechi's first call up
you're right but still think they're many of them ever willing to play for the eagles should they be approached and assured of their future...
rohr has not visited them and their parents
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:21am On Mar 16, 2017
Humility017:

you're right but still think they're many of them ever willing to play for the eagles should they be approached and assured of their future...
Note that not all are good enough for the Super Eagles. We should only invite players that will add value to the team and not to invite them bc they are Nigerians born in England.

You and I know the entire English youths system is overrated.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:28am On Mar 16, 2017
Talking about Mbappe. I'll say he is doing great for his age. And also pure class for his age. He plays with so much maturity that u'll forget he is jst 18.

Some are already comparing him with some Brazilian greats.
But u guys already know my stand on some of these young(especially black) players.

Time will tell anyway sha.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 6:35am On Mar 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Pure class bomb. Apart from the goal he scored which was not spectacular and the Offside chance he missed, he was virtually invisible in a dominant Monaco side. He has potential but pure class? I disagree.
You're being hypocritical. If Iheanacho had the kind of game Mbappe had over the 2 legs, you would have turned the thread upside down with adulations on how magical Guardiola has been on Iheanacho on the training ground.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:46am On Mar 16, 2017
goldfish80:

You're being hypocritical. If Iheanacho had the kind of game Mbappe had over the 2 legs, you would have turned the thread upside down with adulations on how magical Guardiola has been on Iheanacho on the training ground.

grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:04am On Mar 16, 2017
tbaba1234:
Impressed with Chidera Ezeh display in the midfield. He lost the ball once but he made clean Tackles, won headers and was always willing to get forward.

thanks fr the update Sir
that's good to hear of him
but of a truth...him and his mates (2013) set really need to work extra hard... they need to go extra mile..because they get into Europe as youngsters...placed in academics primarily meant for the grooming of Europeans talents...so they won't be given much opportunities like their European counterparts but must never waste away any when it comes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:05am On Mar 16, 2017
komekn:

I have said this several times, his competence is not in question but his over reliance on the German / Dutch league's is leaving quality options out of the Eagles set up.
yeah sir...I remember one of your point sometime back you said this, but anyway let just hope he is keeping the doors open for all Nigerians

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:11am On Mar 16, 2017
Icon4s:

Rohr is not just building a team for today he wants to also raise players that will ensure we remain on top for a long time. That's why he invited young players like Osimhen, Obazee, and Ebuehi. These are just friendlies you know.
okay sir..also may be because he is from Germany and he understands d mechanisms of German football and also much more easier to speak to this lads and their handlers switching allegiance, because u will agree wit me, that we have got good young players in England we shouldn't let go just so cheaply...we can wrestle some frm England to play fr us...

I believe we can get one of solanke and Tammy likewise Ovie ejaria, onomah, onyedima, Aina etc we can get some of this guys and keep them for the future

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:42am On Mar 16, 2017
Humility017:

okay sir..also may be because he is from Germany and he understands d mechanisms of German football and also much more easier to speak to this lads and their handlers switching allegiance, because u will agree wit me, that we have got good young players in England we shouldn't let go just so cheaply...we can wrestle some frm England to play fr us...

I believe we can get one of solanke and Tammy likewise Ovie ejaria, onomah, onyedima, Aina etc we can get some of this guys and keep them for the future

I agree with you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:47am On Mar 16, 2017
goldfish80:

OMG! see me laughing out in a public place.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:52am On Mar 16, 2017
Chiderah Ezeh being converted to a Midfielder. Hmmm.. i hope that will nt negatively affect his chance of featuring for the Super Eagles.

Infact i think so already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:06am On Mar 16, 2017
AF South Africa 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa South Africa
Breaking News: Krol takes charge of Bafana Bafana

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

According to local media reports, the South African Football Association has hired former Orlando Pirates coach Ruud Krol to lead Bafana Bafana.

The move follows months of speculation regarding the vacant coaching job as the association was searching for Shakes Mashaba's replacement.

Mashaba was axed in December last year after he was found guilty of gross misconduct following his utterances towards SAFA bosses after the 2-1 win over Senegal in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier at Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane.

Names such as Stuart Baxter, Gavin Hunt, Hugo Broos, Herve Renard and Carlos Queiroz have been mentioned as possible candidates to lead the side.

However, according to The Mail & Guardian, SAFA have settled for the Dutch mentor as he is seen as someone with extensive knowledge of the African game, both at club and national level.

It is reported that the ex-Oranje skipper has agreed terms and conditions with SAFA to take charge of Bafana after the organisation had initially flirted with Queiroz.

After failing to secure their preferred candidate and with Bafana due to line-up against Guinea Bissau and Angola in friendly matches in the next seven days, SAFA opted for the ex-Zamalek and CS Sfaxien manager.

“He has coached in his native Holland. But he has also worked mainly in Africa since 1994 when he took charge of the Egyptian U-23’s and later the senior team and what appears to have given him an added advantage is that he is available to start working without delay,” said a source to the Mail & Guardian.

“SAFA stated openly when they advertised the post that the criteria required for a successful Bafana Bafana coach would be an intimate and extensive knowledge of the African game.

“The criteria as elucidated by SAFA goes on to point out that the successful candidate must have an excellent understanding of the South African playing philosophy, or playing style, as some people like to describe our approach to the game.

“In fact, it goes on to explain that he must have international coaching experience with a good track record allied to a vision and passion for football development and good player management to complete SAFA’s Vision 2022.”

africanfootball.com/news/695244/Breaking-News-Krol-takes-charge-of-Bafana-Bafana
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:07am On Mar 16, 2017
tbaba1234:
Chidera Ezeh's match against Benfica B yesterday... Full match...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbrvbyewvY&sns=tw

You can see Chidera Ezeh's Progress.. He is now a defensive Midfielder apparently shocked shocked shocked

No. He played as a support striker not as a DM. The black guy on Jersey number 91 was the DM not Chidera. Chidera wore no70 Jersey, he was the most advanced player in the lead up to their first goal ...
Its a case of mistaken identity on your part, probably you had them mixed up because of their identical skin colour.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:16am On Mar 16, 2017
terzurum5:
AF South Africa 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa South Africa
Breaking News: Krol takes charge of Bafana Bafana

by Phumzile Ngcatshe

According to local media reports, the South African Football Association has hired former Orlando Pirates coach Ruud Krol to lead Bafana Bafana.

The move follows months of speculation regarding the vacant coaching job as the association was searching for Shakes Mashaba's replacement.

Mashaba was axed in December last year after he was found guilty of gross misconduct following his utterances towards SAFA bosses after the 2-1 win over Senegal in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier at Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane.

Names such as Stuart Baxter, Gavin Hunt, Hugo Broos, Herve Renard and Carlos Queiroz have been mentioned as possible candidates to lead the side.

However, according to The Mail & Guardian, SAFA have settled for the Dutch mentor as he is seen as someone with extensive knowledge of the African game, both at club and national level.

It is reported that the ex-Oranje skipper has agreed terms and conditions with SAFA to take charge of Bafana after the organisation had initially flirted with Queiroz.

After failing to secure their preferred candidate and with Bafana due to line-up against Guinea Bissau and Angola in friendly matches in the next seven days, SAFA opted for the ex-Zamalek and CS Sfaxien manager.

“He has coached in his native Holland. But he has also worked mainly in Africa since 1994 when he took charge of the Egyptian U-23’s and later the senior team and what appears to have given him an added advantage is that he is available to start working without delay,” said a source to the Mail & Guardian.

“SAFA stated openly when they advertised the post that the criteria required for a successful Bafana Bafana coach would be an intimate and extensive knowledge of the African game.

“The criteria as elucidated by SAFA goes on to point out that the successful candidate must have an excellent understanding of the South African playing philosophy, or playing style, as some people like to describe our approach to the game.

“In fact, it goes on to explain that he must have international coaching experience with a good track record allied to a vision and passion for football development and good player management to complete SAFA’s Vision 2022.”

africanfootball.com/news/695244/Breaking-News-Krol-takes-charge-of-Bafana-Bafana
South Africa letting Shakes Mashaaba leave was an error. He has been the best Bafana Bafana manager since 1998. They might have jeopardised their world cup chances with this appointment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:16am On Mar 16, 2017
Humility017:

many of them like??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:16am On Mar 16, 2017
Humility017:

many of them like??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:19am On Mar 16, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Why? I disagree. We have grown in possession football. Had some memorable wins. We never beat Barcelona until Guardiola came. We have seen much improvements in players. The only challenge I see is Guardiola adapting to on-field tactics with subs.

The players worked hard, we created loads of good chances and wasted them. Guardiola can not take blame for that.

The defence is old and with fresher defenders, I see the team doing wonders. Also, Guardiola made a mistake opting for Kolarov over Otamendi. Apart from that, nice game.

Do you think the man city of this season is better than the mancity of last season ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:27am On Mar 16, 2017
Icon4s:

Note that not all are good enough for the Super Eagles. We should only invite players that will add value to the team and not to invite them bc they are Nigerians born in England.

for now I think we only need Tammy Abraham nd moses odubanjo(when he his back from injury)...

cos we are already covered in the other departments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:32am On Mar 16, 2017
goldfish80:

I find our blind partisanship for what is Naija or particular Naija players sometimes causes us to murder rationality and burn to cinders objectivity.

I am probably guilty myself but not as much as some.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:33am On Mar 16, 2017
jotey:

for now I think we only need Tammy Abraham nd moses odubanjo(when he his back from injury)...

cos we are already covered in the other departments

First on the list for me Sone Aluko.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:36am On Mar 16, 2017
komekn:

First on the list for me Sone Aluko.
aluko has been capped already

I'm talking about those that may slip away
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:38am On Mar 16, 2017
Icon4s:

Why do you mean, the English youth system is over rated

There are two issues here youth system and youth players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:40am On Mar 16, 2017
jotey:

aluko has been capped already

I'm talking about those that may slip away

I talk about Sone Aluko in the context that he should be one of the first players on the list for selection.

When it comes to engaging Nigerian origin players, well what should be asked is how, when, the manner and context in which they were approached.

That may answer some of the questions why there are reports of negative response admittedly not substantiated reports.

However, I will give it to Amaju that he really did a very good job of convincing Ibe but there are other issues.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:48am On Mar 16, 2017
komekn:

I talk about Sone Aluko in the context that he should be one of the first players on the list for selection.
OK but i don't think aluko can be a starter in this present SE setup

the midfield has jelled already sir

the only inclusion rohr can allow is just NDIDI
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:48am On Mar 16, 2017
komekn:

Why do you mean, the English youth system is over rated

There are two issues here youth system and youth players.

anything English is overrated 90% of the time.

Why cap everyone? The NFF should target three of the players and focus on getting those three at most, preferably the ones who aren't obsessed with the idea of playing for Queen and Country
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:49am On Mar 16, 2017
Rohr Has Made Super Eagles Fly Again - Aikhuomogbe

[img]https://2.bp..com/-Wihs3bPNXqc/WMjpr7nrS7I/AAAAAAAADWA/Ypa3K0FzICgzAzFOKQsQ4jutLoIXl7oGQCLcB/s1600/super-eagles-boss-gernot-rohr.jpg[/img]

By Augustine Akhilomen

Ex international, Andrew Aikhuomogbe believes Super Eagles technical adviser, Gernot Rohr has transform the team into an indomitable team since his arrival.

The German tactician has made a superb winning start in his coaching career, having defeated teams such as Tanzania 1-0 in a dead rubber Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, a 2-1 win over the Chipolopolo of Zambia and a 3-1 thumping of 'almighty' Algeria in a 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

Before Rohr's arrival, the senior national team was in a state of shamble after failing to qualify for the 2015 and 2017 Africa Cup of Nations tournament. They have also struggled to beat smaller teams in Africa, something which has changed since the appointment of the former Gabon manager.

However, Aikhuomogbe told Soccernet.com.ng that the Super Eagles will continue to enjoy bountiful success under Rohr.

"It's quite amazing that Gernot Rohr has really transformed the Super Eagles since his arrival as the technical adviser. So far, his performance has impressed me and I am happy the players are delivering the much needed results in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers," Aikhuomogbe told Soccernet.com.ng

"Without praising his tunes, I foresee a man who is ready to achieve great results and you can witness it in some of the qualifying matches he has managed the senior national team."

As the three-time Africa champions await a do or die encounter against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon side that are the reigning Africa champs on August 28, in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier in Uyo, Aikhuomogbe insisted that the Super Eagles will conquer Cameroon.

"I am optimistic that the Super Eagles will overcome their Indomitable Lions counterpart in the World Cup regardless of the fact that they are the current Africa Champions.

"The team on ground appears more determine to make up for their inability to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations and I know that they will put Cameroon to the Slaughter slab in Uyo. Mind you, I am not saying it's going to be an easy ride for Nigeria but I am sure they won't leave Uyo without facing defeat," he concluded.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/03/rohr-has-made-super-eagles-fly-again.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 9:49am On Mar 16, 2017
komekn:

When it comes to engaging Nigerian origin players, well what should be asked is how, when, the manner and context in which they were approached.

That may answer some of the questions why there are reports of negative response admittedly not substantiated reports.

However, I will give it to Amaju that he really did a very good job of convincing Ibe but there are other issues.
convincing ibe?

ibe wasn't convinced

him eye just open say no hope for 3lions

besides ....Ibe can't make SE bench @ the moment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:58am On Mar 16, 2017
NFF Mandate Won't Put Us Under Pressure - Salisu

[img]https://4.bp..com/-Lkrn9j_5338/WMo25ThA2DI/AAAAAAAADWQ/szpuMpW38g4Y2SR-4F9OGkwchRGHp-tKgCLcB/s1600/Salisu-Yusuf.jpg[/img]

By Augustine Akhilomen

Super Eagles Chief Coach, Salisu Yusuf has revealed that the technical crew led by Gernot Rohr is not under any pressure despite claims that the Nigeria Football Federation has mandated him to pick the 2018 World Cup or get booted out.

On Monday, it was disclosed via the media officer of the Super Eagles, Toyin Ibitoye's twitter handle that the German tactician may be sacked if he fails to qualify the senior national team for the World Cup.

The three-time Africa champions are top of group B with six points, having beating Zambia 2-1 in Lusaka and Algeria 3-1 in Uyo.

With four matches remaining, the team face a tough task against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon on August 28 in Uyo.

However, Salisu told Soccernet.com.ng that the team won't be distracted with the NFF mandated but concentrate on their next feature against Cameroon on August 28.

"We don't really feel intimidated with the mandate giving to us by the Nigeria Football Federation considering the fact that we are confident the Super Eagles will pick the sole ticket for the 2018 FIFA World Cup," Salisu told Soccernet.com.ng

"The truth is, they (NFF) have every right to put pressure on us but then, we on our side are well focus and won't for any reason lose our concentration. As you can see, the Super Eagles technical adviser, Gernot Rohr has started a good job for the team, beating teams like Zambia and Algeria to stay top of group B with six points.

"Our attention is on the forthcoming international friendly matches against Burkina Faso and Senegal in London and nothing but a good performance will be ideal for us," he concluded.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/03/nff-mandate-wont-put-us-under-pressure.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:06am On Mar 16, 2017
Ndidi Delighted With Leicester City's Progress In Europe

[img]https://3.bp..com/-y3Zv78nKKoo/WMo5-zzEM8I/AAAAAAAADWk/tTe-iUwhjfUSzeaGKs0-7sHtyzsqN5RcQCLcB/s1600/Wilfred-Ndidi.jpg[/img]

By Augustine Akhilomen

Super Eagles midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi has commended the efforts of his teammates and the fans in ensuring that Leicester City overcome Sevilla's hurdle in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

The Foxes defeated Sevilla 2-0 to qualify to the quarter final of the competition for the first time in their first attempt despite losing the reverse fixture 2-1 in Spain.

Ndidi, who was making his 14th appearance since featuring in the European competition in 2016 was very impressive in the heart of the midfield as he prevented the visitors from making any serious attack.

The Nigeria international posted on his twitter handle his joy and appreciation from the fans doe their support against Sevilla.

“We gave it everything we had, we left everything out there. What a Great support from the fans... #nextround #ucl #lcfc #thankyouLord, ” tweeted the Leicester City number 25.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/03/ndidi-delighted-with-leicester-citys.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (16411) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone, gloryon(m), enlady(f) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.