Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,092 members, 7,933,663 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 10:58 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6620) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12335354 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6617) (6618) (6619) (6620) (6621) (6622) (6623) ... (16553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:22pm On Jul 14, 2019
To those who think Rohr should be left alone. You are in for a long thing. He has helped us recover. Fine but he ain't taking us anywhere...

He is a coward and transfer fear into his players. He lacks idea going forward. He keeps repeating same mistakes over and over again... Did same @ the World Cup. Can't defend a 1-1.cant thinker his side to victory...

I hope Amaju will be brave enough to do the needful. For better hands we will surely get...

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
AIG07:
First of all, Congratulations to Algeria.
It's a well deserved victory. Not they did it in style and inflicted pain on 180 million people.
They edge us out not because they have better players but A BETTER COACH.

I can't believe we still have folks who still want Rohr to stay. Rohr staying is more or else being satisfied with Mediocrity.

Are you not tired with all this Make shift approach. Deploying personel to wrong positions. I knew it was going to backfire. Awaziem has been solid all through but against weaker sides.

I have always said this. Balogun remains our best defender. Rohr axed him without a replacement. He sets up his defense without a ball playing CB.

He and Alloy Chose a comic goalkeeper in Akpeyi (don't even know what to say about this guy). Akpeyi will always be Akpeyi... He went and hide himself behind the wall and couldn't jump/fly.

Rohr had 3years to assemble a team, yet he gave us this shit. I don't know why many celebrate him?
He experimented for 3years with no result. I think we deserve More.

As I have always said, we will never see the true potential of this team under Gernot Rohr.

Well done guys. We live to fight another day.

People like Emeka from some godforsaken slum thinks Rohr is the best thing to happen to our football since Okocha..

How many super eagles coaches have actually enjoyed the financial support and patience Rohr has enjoined in the super eagles?
Shuaibu Amodu qualified us for the world cup and also reached the AFCON semi final but we saw how he was treated. Keshi won us the AFCON and reached the world cup round of 16 with a far less talented squad and amidst several fight with his employees but he was sacked...
Who is Rohr compared to them??
Some folks here like Mr Emeka obviously like licking the an*s of everything white...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 11:24pm On Jul 14, 2019
Danielnino00:

Listen here Emeka ..U have every right to quote me but u ought to use ur brain...
If u must quote me do so like a mature person.. This is d second time u will b attacking me for nothing..
Are u mad?

Oga dont mind that idiot, he wants to bully everyone to buy his opinion but won't listen to another person.

As far as am concerned everyone has right to air his view.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:25pm On Jul 14, 2019
Things we can take away from this AFCON:

1 The Algerians were/are the better team. We underrated them here and i am envious at how much they have improved from 2016 till now. We stand to gain if we learn from them.

2 The Goal keeping department needs serious overhaul. I don't blame the GKs..really I don't. They won't feature if they don't keep getting call-ups. We need to scout for 3 quality keepers because none of our current 3 inspire confidence

3 Rohr tried his best. Our team has not made it to the AFCON in 6 years. We got so far by a mix of ingenuity, grit and luck. Rohr needs a really good tactical assistant (or technical assistant).

4 Our two central midfielders should be applauded for giving a good fight in this match and in the entire tourney. You can't give what you don't have. Neither Ndidi nor Etebo are creative midfielders/playmakers. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that we couldn't create enough chances. Tackling is important but doesn't score goals. Excellent passing and ingenuity does.

5 We need to scout for more consistent strikers. Ighalo is so inconsistent, it can be annoying. Same goes a good creative central midfielder(s).
One wonders the idea behind taking four midfielders to a major tourney without any marshal among them.

6 Mikel should honorably bow out. Knowing Rohr, Mikel would keep getting call-ups if he doesn't retire. Rohr is very conservative and prefers to stick to known players. This can backfire.

7 Osimhen and Onyekuru need to step up. If Rohr kept on benching them for almost the entire duration of the tournament, there must be good reason. Mbappe is in their age grade and has done wonders that belie his age. They should aim for such. Had they been reliable, I am sure Rohr would have no qualms subbing out a Misfiring Ighalo.

8 Ogu should also just retire. If he hardly features in the entire tourney even when we were quite shorthanded, I wonder at his importance to this team. I also wonder at what unique footballing attribute he possesses that keeps earning him invites.

9 Chukwueze is one thing we can take away from this tourney. He is still very young and can improve if he keeps his head down and doesn't let praises get to his head (like nacho, success). If any new club cannot guarantee him first team soccer, he should remain at Villareal and improve.

10 A moniker commented at the inconsistency of our players. This much is true though I would single out Ndidi and Etebo as our only consistent players throughout this AFCON. Our players may need counselling. Consistency is what sets apart ancestors from men from boys in football grin cheesy If you can't be consistent, then you may stagnate your career. You get paid big bucks for showing up at every game, no matter how many games you have to play. They need to groom themselves to be consistent.

11 Our defence isn't as solid as we are made to believe. We conceded in every match right from the second round. I thought Rohr was a good defensive coach? Two or more good defensive additions won't be bad. Balogun should find a new club and bench warmers shouldn't be tolerated.

All in All, we gave our best and fought hard but at the end of the day, the best team won. Up Super Eagles. We live to fight another day

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chucs: 11:26pm On Jul 14, 2019
Take a bow Super Eagles! You guys tried to get thus far in the tournament and at this stage,u can't give what u don't have. Ageria were the better team.

Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Mikel, Musa, Ogu and Ighalo should all retire and our 19 year old keeper should also go into obscurity.

The tall striker should look for another talent in basket ball or volleyball and the pensioner of our coach should be sacked.

WAY FOWARD:
Get a better coach who will work on our goalkeeping department, central defence, fullbacks,midfield and striking department. Someone who reads game and wouldn't appear jittery in matches. Someone who makes the right selections and effective changes. And finally someone who will get the team mobile and move the ball faster which is how modern football is played!

Back to the drawing board.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:26pm On Jul 14, 2019
You need help, urgent one at that
Danielnino00:

People like Emeka from some godforsaken slum thinks Rohr is the best thing to happen to our football since Okocha..

How many super eagles coaches have actually enjoyed the financial support and patience Rohr has enjoined in the super eagles?
Shuaibu Amodu qualified us for the world cup and also reached the AFCON semi final but we saw how he was treated. Keshi won us the AFCON and reached the world cup round of 16 with a far less talented squad and amidst several fight with his employees but he was sacked...
Some folks here like Mr Emeka obviously like licking the an*s of everything white...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 11:28pm On Jul 14, 2019
now NIGERIANS will support Senegal for the final grin WHY ? cos we lost to Algerian ... no other cogent reason grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:29pm On Jul 14, 2019
charlesemeka85:
You need help, urgent one at that

And u need a brain surgery... unless u are some teenager hiding behind a smartphone..

If u must quote people,do so with some maturity.... how many people have attacked u since u started airing your opinions here ?

I smh for u.. internet bully...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:30pm On Jul 14, 2019
AIG07:
First of all, Congratulations to Algeria.
It's a well deserved victory. Not they did it in style and inflicted pain on 180 million people.
They edge us out not because they have better players but A BETTER COACH.

I can't believe we still have folks who still want Rohr to stay. Rohr staying is more or else being satisfied with Mediocrity.

Are you not tired with all this Make shift approach. Deploying personel to wrong positions. I knew it was going to backfire. Awaziem has been solid all through but against weaker sides.
Was Awaziem weak today?

I have always said this. Balogun remains our best defender. Rohr axed him without a replacement. He sets up his defense without a ball playing CB.
More stupefying to [sensible] Nigerians it would have been if Balogun snuck into the starting line up today

He and Alloy Chose a comic goalkeeper in Akpeyi (don't even know what to say about this guy). Akpeyi will always be Akpeyi... He went and hide himself behind the wall and couldn't jump/fly.

Rohr had 3years to assemble a team, yet he gave us this shit. I don't know why many celebrate him?
He experimented for 3years with no result. I think we deserve More.

Now the team is shit cuz they lost out to a better team?

As I have always said, we will never see the true potential of this team under Gernot Rohr.

Well done guys. We live to fight another day.

You may have a point but this emotion ridden post makes it look really juvenile

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:31pm On Jul 14, 2019
lexyman:
now NIGERIANS will support Senegal for the final grin WHY ? cos we lost to Algerian ... no other cogent reason grin grin grin grin

I'm supporting Senegal because of Mane grin

Its about time he won the APOTY ..

I'm more curious as to who the Egyptians will support. .Senegal winning the AFCON will put Mane in a better position to win the APOTY ahead of Salah and they won't like that.. on the other hand,Algeria are one of their fiercest rivals...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 11:31pm On Jul 14, 2019
Danielnino00:

And u need a brain surgery... unless u are some teenager hiding behind a smartphone..

If u must quote people,do so with some maturity.... how many people have attacked u since u started airing your opinions here ?

Ignore the small boy, I can bet his real name is not emeka, and you calling him Mr means u r giving him respect he is not entitled to.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Problemkid1: 11:32pm On Jul 14, 2019
All of una just dey disturb here. Una no know say this jersey Na bad luck anytime wey SE use am play match grin grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 11:33pm On Jul 14, 2019
lexyman:

I will support Algeria

They are the best team in this AFCON.

The best team should win.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:34pm On Jul 14, 2019
sontoly:

Ignore the small boy, I can bet his real name is not emeka, and you calling him Mr means u r giving him respect he is not entitled to.

Bro..I just tire o...Some people have no iota of respect in them...
We are on the internet ..u talk ur own..I talk my own..

In so far I didn't attack u,u have no right to do so to me .

Anyway.. make I leave am... I'm not that type of person...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CoolJulian: 11:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
darkelf:

1 The Algerians were/are the better team. We underrated them here and i am envious at how much they have improved from 2016 till now. We stand to gain if we learn from them.

2 The Goal keeping department needs serious overhaul. I don't blame the GKs..really I don't. They won't feature if they don't keep getting call-ups. We need to scout for 3 quality keepers because none of our current 3 inspire confidence

3 Rohr tried his best. Our team has not made it to the AFCON in 6 years. We got so far by a mix of ingenuity, grit and luck. Rohr needs a really good tactical assistant (or technical assistant).

4 Our two central midfielders should be applauded for giving a good fight in this match and in the entire tourney. You can't give what you don't have. Neither Ndidi nor Etebo are creative midfielders/playmakers. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that we couldn't create enough chances. Tackling is important but doesn't score goals. Excellent passing and ingenuity does.

5 We need to scout for more consistent strikers. Ighalo is so inconsistent, it can be annoying. Same goes a good creative central midfielder(s).
One wonders the idea behind taking four midfielders to a major tourney without any marshal among them.

6 Mikel should honorably bow out. Knowing Rohr, Mikel would keep getting call-ups if he doesn't retire. Rohr is very conservative and prefers to stick to known players. This can backfire.

7 Osimhen and Onyekuru need to step up. If Rohr kept on benching them for almost the entire duration of the tournament, there must be good reason. Mbappe is in their age grade and has done wonders that belie his age. They should aim for such. Had they been reliable, I am sure Rohr would have no qualms subbing out a Misfiring Ighalo.

8 Ogu should also just retire. If he hardly features in the entire tourney even when we were quite shorthanded, I wonder at his importance to this team. I also wonder at what unique footballing attribute he possesses that keeps earning him invites.

9 Chukwueze is one thing we can take away from this tourney. He is still very young and can improve if he keeps his head down and doesn't let praises get to his head (like nacho, success). If any new club cannot guarantee him first team soccer, he should remain at Villareal and improve.

10 A moniker commented at the inconsistency of our players. This much is true though I would single out Ndidi and Etebo as our only consistent players throughout this AFCON. Our players may need counselling. Consistency is what sets apart ancestors from men from boys in football grin cheesy If you can't be consistent, then you may stagnate your career. You get paid big bucks for showing up at every game, no matter how many games you have to play. They need to groom themselves to be consistent.

11 Our defence isn't as solid as we are made to believe. We conceded in every match right from the second round. I thought Rohr was a good defensive coach? Two or more good defensive additions won't be bad. Balogun should find a new club and bench warmers shouldn't be tolerated.

All in All, we gave our best and fought hard but at the end of the day, the best team won. Up Super Eagles. We live to fight another day
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
No one has hailed Pape Gassama. He impressed me today

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 11:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
Enyeama shouldn't have stopped nada. That free kick was very well struck and taken just from the edge of the 18 yard box. I doubt if any goalkeeper in the world would've saved that free kick. In fact, I am not Akpeyi's fan but I don't blame him for any of those two goals.

O pari

isan:
enyeama go stop that freekick

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:37pm On Jul 14, 2019
I copied this comment from somewhere else on Nairaland:

I have been saying this:

Genot Rorh plays an obsolete brand of football.

In this modern age hardly do you see teams withdrawing into their own half of the pitch when the opposition defenders are bringing it forward. You have to PRESS the defenders and block every expected passing option. Pep Guardiola made this "modern tactics" popular. And many teams use it now.

Madagascar used it against us and we saw the result.

Today, the Algerians did the same thing.

Since the first day of the tournament I watched out football and was immediately unimpressed. Even against Burundi we were playing this kind of obsolete football.

They play like this waiting to counter without any meaningful passing triangles. Once the opposition score, they get out of their shell and start to press. Then once they get a goal, they sit back and start to invite pressure again.

We need a coach that is up to date with modern football... And more importantly can blend our team together as a unit.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 11:38pm On Jul 14, 2019
Odunayaw:
No one has hailed Pape Gassama. He impressed me today

His calls favoured us
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:41pm On Jul 14, 2019
He played on the wing as well in this AFCON. If Mikel was on point Iwobi for no smell that AM
BascoVanVeli:

Forget that one. For most his career he has been a midfielder. If that's the case Iwobi should be on the wings since he has played like 30 consecutive matches for his club on the wings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:41pm On Jul 14, 2019
Danielnino00:

*smiles* I knew we had a problem when folks started celebrating AFCON QUALIFICATION as if we are some sort of Burundi, Madagascar, or Somalia. Our absence in the last two editions has really damaged people's psyche.

Rohr is Average @ best... No doubt about that. His team reflects everything about him. Rigid, timid,...we've seen the best of him and that was in 2017 during world cup qualifiers. After then, he has shown us a limp Eagle, uncoordinated side, tactless team.,etc.

Still someone somewhere wants him to stay. The team hasn't improved one bit since 2017.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:43pm On Jul 14, 2019
Icon79:
Enyeama shouldn't have stopped nada. That penalty was very well struck and taken just from the edge of the 18 yard box. I doubt if any goalkeeper in the world would've said that free kick. In fact, I am not Akpeyi's fan but I don't blame him for any of those two goals.

O pari

Maybe Enyeama wouldn't have stopped the free kick .but he obviously would have positioned himself better . Akpeyi stood in front of the defence... That's poor organization IMO..

Our goalkeeping problem is quite worrisome . I mean what happened to us? We once had three good goalkeepers who could comfortably man the post and give us a good performance. Enyeama, Ejide and Aiyenibga...

We seriously need to Scott for more goalkeepers.both home and abroad....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:43pm On Jul 14, 2019
Jarus:

I will support Algeria

They are the best team in this AFCON.

The best team should win.

It will be a travesty if Senegal win with nonsense they are playing

I support Algeria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:44pm On Jul 14, 2019
olive oye plenty for your head yafunyafun

darkelf:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:45pm On Jul 14, 2019
Jarus:

His calls favoured us
he was professional

this match just feels somehow to me... no antics from the Algerians that can even leave me with a shred of thirst for revenge
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:49pm On Jul 14, 2019
The team hasn't improved much. You are right on that. But we still got to the SF. That's Rohr's only saving grace.

AIG07:
*smiles* I knew we had a problem when folks started celebrating AFCON QUALIFICATION as if we are some sort of Burundi, Madagascar, or Somalia. Our absence in the last two editions has really damaged people's psyche.

Rohr is Average @ best... No doubt about that. His team reflects everything about him. Rigid, timid,...we've seen the best of him and that was in 2017 during world cup qualifiers. After then, he has shown us a limp Eagle, uncoordinated side, tactless team.,etc.

Still someone somewhere wants him to stay. The team hasn't improved one bit since 2017.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:49pm On Jul 14, 2019
AIG07:

I'll always appreciate Rohr for the good things he has done for our football.. He took us back to the AFCON after 2 failed attempt. He has brought unity into the team, such that hasn't been seen in a while..

But after 3 heatsink charge and considering how much support he has received, we deserve better than this... there's nothing he has achieved that some other coaches haven't..
we have a talented squad on our hand.. A tactically astute coach is needed to help us move forward ...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:52pm On Jul 14, 2019
Odunayaw:

You may have a point but this emotion ridden post makes it look really juvenile
We see things differently and this is not the first time I'm stating g this...

Awaziem might not be weak but wasn't solid. He was caught out of position few times. Hardly won ariel duels. He was a makeshift and there is not emotional in that. It was Shehu @the world cup.

He has done well to bring stability to the team. But if we must progress we must do so with someone else not Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:55pm On Jul 14, 2019
Someone who is in the contention for the top scorer in this AFCON should retire. Ighalo is not one of my fav players but lets call a spade a spade. He remains relevant.

Danielnino00:
I'm gonna take the defeat in good faith...Algeria were obviously the better team from the blast of the whistle.. they had studied us very well and devised a plan to stop us and it worked..Kudos to them..
Our players gave tried but such things happen in football.. you can't win every time .

But I think after the AFCON, the following players need to join Mikel in retirement...
- Ighalo

- Ogu

- Akpeyi..

- Ezenwa

Musa and Balogun should take a back seat in the team too.. As for Ekong he needs serious competition.. Even Omeruo..

If we are serious about building a better team for the future, then we need to let go of some old players .the Dutch did it and now their football is back on track... we can do it too..
The believe some people on this thread have that we don't have good players is a lie!! We have a lot of good players out there...talented players who are doing well at their clubs..both home and foreign born... they just need to be integrated into the team slowly.. We have limited time to start preparing for 2021 AFCONQ and Qatar 2022

As for Rohr, I can't totally support the calls to sack him now cus I tells can't think of any capable replacement available... the man has tried for put football no doubt but his conservative style is holding this team back...Poor tactical decisions and his inability to make daring changes into the team...
If a capable replacement is available he should please go.. Nobody knew his when he was coaching Niger republic back then... the national team has boosted his CV

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:57pm On Jul 14, 2019
grin
MetalJigsaw:
Rohr should have switched to 2- 2- 6 formation and move ighalo to the goalpost and move akpeyi forward to confuse the Algerian defenders. nonsense

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:57pm On Jul 14, 2019
physically self i go bully u
Danielnino00:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:58pm On Jul 14, 2019
OYA LETS STOP CRYING. WHO IS NIGERIA PLAYING NEXT AFTER TUNISIA MATCH?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6617) (6618) (6619) (6620) (6621) (6622) (6623) ... (16553) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jieta, sojious, TheSuperNerd(m), lbrichman2, a4turitoroman, Tessyy1701, hustleranthem(m), Philosopher1979 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.