Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,121 members, 7,900,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 01:54 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6651) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12148605 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6648) (6649) (6650) (6651) (6652) (6653) (6654) ... (16458) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:28pm On Jul 17, 2019
tbaba1234:
I agree with Rohr that Osimhen needs to build up strength. It was obvious today.

Agreed, boy needs to build up

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:29pm On Jul 17, 2019
ChrisKels:

People like Emmy my man, forgiveness and the ever bias komekn were watching for faults and praying that the young lad fails, so that they would hurriedly come here to shout "I told u so"

I saw enough to tell me that he will be very good for Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 10:30pm On Jul 17, 2019
tbaba1234:
Inspite of Ighalo's goals, his performances were poor to average. His best game was against Cameroon.

His movement is still poor so most of his goals came from rebounds and not good attacking play. He does not give midfielders options.. way too static.

Osimhen broke free on the right and left a few times, how many times have you seen Ighalo break free on the wings?

Osimhen offered a different dynamic today for anyone watching with a keen eye. His final balls were poor but he got himself in good positions.

Seconded
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:31pm On Jul 17, 2019
darkelf:
Rohr promised to play attacking football. It is either he failed to keep his promises or he doesn't know how to.

We had an above average tournament despite the win. Our boys didn't play to their full potentials.

While we must be thankful to Rohr for bringing us the bronze medal after several years of absence from AFCON, he has too many deficiencies as a manager and he takes the majority of the blame for both our losses in this tournament.

Rohr must make valuable use of the opportunity given to him in that Refresher course at Bayern Munich. I haven't seen the NFF do that for any local coach. He must open his mind to how football is played today and not in the conservative 80s. He shouldn't be caught sleeping in class because he is an old man grin grin.

We need reinforcement badly. I expect our scouts to start with a pool of 50 players going forward (at least). We are too blessed with footballing talent to be serial underperformers.

Mikel, Ogu, Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Alloy Agu has outlived their usefulness in this team. Musa, Ighalo, Balogun should be eased out slowly not because of their ability but due to ageing. We need replacements in our central midfield. Balogun needs to sit-up. Getting comfy on a bench because you're earning more is disastrous. Ask Iheanacho.

Etebo and Ndidi deserve a long rest. Bar some errors, they are true fighters.

Ekong needs to evaluate his career and performance at this AFCON. His performance was average and below expectations. One wonders if he is truly improving at Udinese or his double played for the SE instead of the real Ekong.

Omeruo stills needs some polishing.One more season should do the trick.

Chukwueze has a lot to learn. I am always wary when too much praises are heaped on a very young player that is not Mbappe. I hope such praises don't go to his head. He needs to learn to cross the ball or finish more accurately. Studying Robben's tapes should help if he really wants to surpass him but how many of our players have this mentality?

Osimhen and Onyekuru have a lot to learn obviously. I wondered why Rohr didn't start them or give them enough game time but this AFCON exposed them. It is either they didn't bring their game or Rohr just doesn't know how to inspire confidence or they aren't good enough yet.

We won the bronze. That is something but it is back to the drawing board. A good idea would be to regularly expose our local coaches (the most promising ones) to refresher courses. Pinnick is a good fund-raiser and I believe funds is not the major stumbling block but will.

I expect the following guys to up their game and grab a place in the Super Eagles:

Joe Aribo

Azubuike something something...I don forhet grin grin

Ovie Ejaria

Odey Stephen

Okereke

Please feel free to add yours

Players that will add immediate quality to the SE and among the Nigerian origin players in England the first two for me indisputable are.

Fikayo Tomori

Tega Onomah

Both are better than any other Nigerian origin player in thier respective positions.

A player you should watch out for but everyone dismissed here is Chuks Aneke, now at Charlton had been consistently outstanding over two seasons in league and two. after horrific injury he is getting cackling to his former self.

A player Wenger likened to Yaya Toure.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 10:31pm On Jul 17, 2019
i don't even know who to give MOTM .... i will just hand over the award to Tunisia NO10 . PLAYED LIKE A HER0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:31pm On Jul 17, 2019
Uzoho is currently trending on Twitter, getting accolades for his good performance, Akpeyi can only trend for insults.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:32pm On Jul 17, 2019
forgiveness:
Iwobi is not offering anything creative in this game.
He's a hot and cold payer... you don't rely on such players. That why we need another and natural AM

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:32pm On Jul 17, 2019
Hahahahahahaha bro u ought to know that I say things the way I see them. I no Sabi paint talk lol.

Oshimeh is a young promising talent who has the qualities to metamophose to a good striker soonest but from what I saw in his game today he is there yet to replace Ighalo. That's the gospel truth mk we forget sentiment.

Same goes to onuach
ChrisKels:

People like Emmy my man, forgiveness and the ever bias komekn were watching for faults and praying that the young lad fails, so that they would hurriedly come here to shout "I told u so"

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:33pm On Jul 17, 2019
Iwobi was decent in this tournament. The worst is Musa. The guy no get football brains at all
MetalJigsaw:
He a hot and cold payer... you don't rely on such player. That why we need another and natural AM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 10:34pm On Jul 17, 2019
Ekong named man of the match

What!!!

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:37pm On Jul 17, 2019
Mickael2:
Sorry if I am drifting away from today's match but....this is what Pep himself said today.

"West Ham created problems, had chances
and played good. After the summer time,
after most of them having just four
training sessions, it is normal to make
mistakes, but is it good! It is better to see
it in the games than in training sessions;
training is fake, not real, and when you
play against a real opponent, that is the
best way to improve.

Cc theGoodJoe, why have you then been telling us that training is what improves a player when Pep himself has pointed out that trainings are fake? This should be a sound advice for all players moving this season, don't go to a club just to go there and train, go to where you'd be sure of regular playing time. Finito

Watched the interview myself after the game with Tim Sherwood and Michael Owen. I think it has to do with language barrier and communication.

You do not take a player and teach him the philosophy of tip tap passing in real games. He learns the ideals of the philosophy on the training pitch. He understands the system and practices repeatedly on the training pitch. After he has understood and developed it, you test his quality in real life games to have a real test of how good the player is.

What Guardiola was talking about is the youngsters who are fighting for a place in the team. After tutoring them and watching them in training, the real way to test how good they are is in real life games. Guardiola talked about some who are not good enough in the games won't make the cut.

He did not play those young boys in the game to develop them but see how far they have absorbed what he has taught them and also check how good they are.

cc: jihday, AIG07, elyte89, BascoVanVeli

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:38pm On Jul 17, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Hahahahahahaha bro u ought to know that I say things the way I see them. I no Sabi paint talk lol.

Oshimeh is a young promising talent who has the qualities to metamophose to a good striker soonest but from what I saw in his game today he is there yet to replace Ighalo. That's the gospel truth mk we forget sentiment.

Same goes to onuach

You no need to tell them

Dem self know the truth and dem don admit that rohr is correct

They all earned my respect

But osimhen has the potential to be far better than ighalo soon

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:39pm On Jul 17, 2019
lexyman:
i don't even know who to give MOTM .... i will just hand over the award to Tunisia NO10 . PLAYED LIKE A HER0

Akpeyi is man of the match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:41pm On Jul 17, 2019
Rohr played all 23 players in this tournament.

It is commendable

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:41pm On Jul 17, 2019
My biggest problem is the midfield. Onomah didn't have a good season in the championship but he is a promising talent with huge potentials. If he moves to the Bundesliga as rumored and gets his MOJO back Rohr and the nff should approach him.

Aribo is already doing well in rangers in the preseason matches and uel qualifiers so far. He already said he won't turn a call up down if the nff and Rohr wants him so he is already in the bag

I also hope and pray bashiru gets a move to a decent league, he is one who looks promising as well
komekn:

Players that will add immediate quality to the SE and among the Nigerian origin players in England the first two for me indisputable are.

Fikayo Tomori

Tega Onomah

Both are better than any other Nigerian origin player in thier respective positions.

A player you should watch out for but everyone dismissed here is Chuks Aneke, now at Charlton had been consistently outstanding over two seasons in league and two. after horrific injury he is getting cackling to his former self.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:42pm On Jul 17, 2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 10:43pm On Jul 17, 2019
I'm interested in who will be given MotM in this mediocre game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:44pm On Jul 17, 2019
Khaziri suppose win am
Jarus:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:44pm On Jul 17, 2019
Jarus:

Ekong was given.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 10:44pm On Jul 17, 2019
Earthquake2:
Ekong named man of the match

What!!!

Joke!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:47pm On Jul 17, 2019
Since the NFF have decided to continue with Rohr.. Make we just dy look..

The next international window is in September and we don't have any competitive game lined up, I will suggest that NFF should organize one or two friendly game with a quality team in Africa and Rohr should call up more fresh players..
The process of getting the team back in form should start by trying out new players... some of d regulars should be excused... Let's see what the new players can offer..

Rohr needs to man up and stop giving special treatment to some players....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:48pm On Jul 17, 2019
tbaba1234:
Inspite of Ighalo's goals, his performances were poor to average. His best game was against Cameroon.

His movement is still poor so most of his goals came from rebounds and not good attacking play. He does not give midfielders options.. way too static.

Osimhen broke free on the right and left a few times, how many times have you seen Ighalo break free on the wings?

Osimhen offered a different dynamic today for anyone watching with a keen eye. His final balls were poor but he got himself in good positions.

Only one goals came from a rebound why are you trying to discredit Ighalo? Osimhen was poor today there is no sugar coating that. He lost too many balls in promising positions and mistimed his runs like you yourself always blamed Ighalo for doing. This is a player I love to death but come on with the games na.

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2019
I rather hear than see o. cheesy

forgiveness:

You no hear nonsense be that. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:50pm On Jul 17, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Only one goals came from a rebound why are you trying to discredit Ighalo? Osimhen was poor today there is no sugar coating that. He lost too many balls in promising positions and mistimed his runs like you yourself always blamed Ighalo for doing. This is a player I love to death but come on with the games na.

No mind am ,some admit to reality

Some of them Na pride go kill them ,always trying to discredit who dey don't like

nonsense and mbaye Niang

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:51pm On Jul 17, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Khaziri suppose win am

Man of d match usually doesn't come from d losing team..av noticed dt,I might b wrong though smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:52pm On Jul 17, 2019
komekn:

Fikayo Tomori

Tega Onomah

Fikayo Tomori √

Onomah and Aneke ×

U have said it countless times that the criteria for players call up to the national team should be consistent and continuous top class performance at a high level and not based on past youthful glory.. Aneke and Onomah don't meet that criteria...
Let them perform first this season and they will be considered..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:54pm On Jul 17, 2019
Jarus:

Joke!!!
for me Awaziem deserve it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:54pm On Jul 17, 2019
Jarus:

Joke!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:55pm On Jul 17, 2019
charlesemeka85:
My biggest problem is the midfield. Onomah didn't have a good season in the championship but he is a promising talent with huge potentials. If he moves to the Bundesliga as rumored and gets his MOJO back Rohr and the nff should approach him.

Aribo is already doing well in rangers in the preseason matches and uel qualifiers so far. He already said he won't turn a call up down if the nff and Rohr wants him so he is already in the bag

I also hope and pray bashiru gets a move to a decent league, he is one who looks promising as well

That's not a problem at all.

One season doesn't make a player and l have watched him since he was 16 at Tottenham up close and personal. If he goes to Germany he will clean up less physical mire team technical and not as fast as the EPL.

He had some Injury issues and had to adapt his game to suit the Manager but waa outstanding to the end of the season. Nonetheless, it's early days his Manager has gone to Newcastle do watch this space he may end up in the EPL.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9523325/josh-onomah-mauricio-pochettino-spurs-transfer/

The same way Dominic Iorfa was with him Sheffield Wednesday.

But the player l am looking forward to seeing is Chuks Aneke.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:55pm On Jul 17, 2019
Jarus:

Joke!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:56pm On Jul 17, 2019
komekn:

Fikayo Tomori

Tega Onomah

How are they better than what we have ?

Tell me something I don't know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:58pm On Jul 17, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Odogu na you deh write this ting.

I still think someone has hijacked your account and Impersonatated you.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6648) (6649) (6650) (6651) (6652) (6653) (6654) ... (16458) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BascoVanVeli(m), kennysville(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.