Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,436 members, 7,894,838 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 04:21 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7458) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12110920 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7455) (7456) (7457) (7458) (7459) (7460) (7461) ... (16446) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
safarigirl:

So, now it's about money, not career growth anymore? Is it not komekn that preaches about career growth being more important than monetary gains? Or does that apply only to the homegrown lads?

You people must be confusing Eze with Eden Hazard, because I don't see how he will start making all this money simply for agreeing to play for an overbloated English team. He would be a compound fool to join Abraham and Tomori on England's bench, because that is where he will end up. Even more, Maddison is playing the position he wishes to occupy, some people would call such a choice international career suicide.

The only thing komekn knows how to do is crucify homegrown kids for making certain decisions, while excusing his innit boys when they do the same thing.

Now, Eze is making this decision for his career, the same BS he sold us with Abraham. So, we should be chasing players that could switch upon us the moment England whistles at them? We are not doing that poorly in football, to start chasing after every other English player that's down on his luck. These excuses are useless.
All I'm saying is the financial angle Komekn is giving isn't as far fetched as some are making it out to be.
Rohr and NFF deserve some of the blame too. I repeat there was no reason inviting Chidiebere Nwakali when Eze was putting in some good performances. He should've been invited and given at least 10 - 15 mins.
I'm disappointed the guy is now having thoughts but I did warn that this could happen if we didn't move quick enough.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2019
edi287:

All I'm saying is the financial angle Komekn is giving isn't as far fetched as some are making it out to be.
Rohr and NFF deserve some of the blame too. I repeat there was no reason inviting Chidiebere Nwakali when Eze was putting in some good performances. He should've been invited and given at least 10 - 15 mins.
I'm disappointed the guy is now having thoughts but I did warn that this could happen if we didn't move quick enough.
when was Eze putting in good performances and they invited Chidiebere? Was Eze not invited once upon a time, alongside Aina and Akpom?

Anybody we lose, I can never be disappointed. If he got lost, he was never for us then. I cannot waste my disappointment on people that always had us as afterthought. I repeat, we are not doing that badly, we won AFCON with a ragtag group of footballers that Keshi lined up, Nigerian football is on the rise, anybody that falls off should fall off. We won't miss them. There will always be new talent.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
safarigirl:
when was Eze putting in good performances and they invited Chidiebere? Was Eze not invited once upon a time, alongside Aina and Akpom?

Anybody we lose, I can never be disappointed. If he got lost, he was never for us then. I cannot waste my disappointment on people that always had us as afterthought.
You mean for a kick about that didn't mean much?
When both Nwakali brothers were invited, Eze was doing better. We argued this extensively here.
Nothing wrong in feeling the way you do. Unlike Tammy, I won't blame Eze that much(still disappointed) provided he pledged to us but we were inviting players who didn't deserve to get invited ahead of him as at that time.
Anyhow Na for Rohr to play 2 DM and a CM when Iwobi is not so no worries...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
Icon4s:

Are Nigerians kids more malnurished than those tall Malian and Niger kids?

Me think it is more of a genetic than nutrition factor.

Nigerian origin kids here are not small and skinny at age 16/17 they can contend physically with full grown men.

A classic example is Uche Ikpeazu at 17 this guy was already 6'3" with legs like tree trunks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
edi287:

What Komekn is saying is Eze as at this moment is more likely to earn more as a English youth player/prospective whatever than as a Nigerian NT player which is partly true.
The English premium thing doesn't only apply to transfer fees but contracts and sponsorship deals.
The names you're mentioning like Salah, Auba, etc were mostly not top earners in their age group when they were Eze's age.
Bros, you build a brand over time. Mention an English U21 player who commands a massive endorsement at this time. Trent Alexander Arnold and Rashford he mentioned plays for traditional teams in the Premiership and they are full time England internationals. These guys are no bench warmers for club adn country. Their marketing value is what it is because of who they are.

A guy like Eze will will get enough sponsorship if he is pop and fashionable, has good social media presence, plays for a top team as a major player, wins trophies and generally has good cross over appeal. With all these in the locker, he will get good endorsements and fat pay checks. Its immaterial if he played for Liberia or England.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
elyte89:

He has always been throwing up threat all around d thread...and I dey very sure say na one arindin e go b grin
cheesy e no fit pass arindin truly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
jihday:
LMAO, Odun don vex o
grin e no easy to tolerate some people sometimes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2019
ChrisKels:

What Forgiveness did is simple and well defined. Forgiveness is the root of this evil(tribalism) in here.

Wow !!! This early Sunday morning see what is coming out of your mouth.

How do you jump to such a conclusion, is bewildering.

Because you have a perception that doesn't make it a substantive fact.

I think you should really stop getting so heated it's a faceless forum for goodness sake.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2019
safarigirl:

Anybody we lose, I can never be disappointed. If he got lost, he was never for us then. I cannot waste my disappointment on people that always had us as afterthought. I repeat, we are not doing that badly, we won AFCON with a ragtag group of footballers that Keshi lined up, Nigerian football is on the rise, anybody that falls off should fall off. We won't miss them. There will always be new talent.

I am with you on this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
komekn:

Nigerian origin kids here are not small and skinny at age 16/17 they can contend physically with full grown men.

A classic example is Uche Ikpeazu at 17 this guy was already 6'3" with legs like tree trunks.

Exactly what I opined in my earlier post. Its the environment and diet that plays a large role over the size of our players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
safarigirl:
Has anyone seen the post about the whole dropping of a player for DSS' son?

Yes. However, I don't even think the Ogaga boy was the only player affected. I have a feeling that some players got there via bribery (if not connections).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Offpoint: 1:12pm On Oct 27, 2019
somehow:
So you're just throwing words around? Your comments are neither here nor there. Totally offpoint.
Make una lemme my name alone
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
Icon4s:

Well, you have a point there.

But watch how these kids will metamorphose in the next 2-3 years and folks here will easily erase these memories and call them 30yrs olds. Some things one reads here sometimes. Some people do not cease to amaze grin

This may be true.

But that doesn't mean to say that these deductions are without substance.

Look at a number of our players who claimed U16 in 2009 and you notice very little change. Shockingly some of them passed MRI at the time.

Go and look at Iwobi at U16 and look at him now there is clear and obvious difference in the way he look facial skeletal and otherwise.

What is annoying is the hypocrisy we all know that age cheating is rampant, endemic and wholescale across every sector in Nigeria.

Why then do people get up in arms when the issue of age cheating arises, in boisterous denial and hostile indignation.

Yes we now have MRI which has limited the degree of reckless and blatant age cheating that used to go on for years.

That doesn't mean it has now been eradicated yes limited but unfortunately until we have automatic birth data capture. It will always exist.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 1:22pm On Oct 27, 2019
Ramon Azeez starts, playing the attacking midfield position, behind the striker

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:26pm On Oct 27, 2019
darkelf:

Exactly. Especially those ones lucky to make it to Europe with better living conditions and better feeding.

Trust me, they'll get bigger. Their epiphysis haven't fused yet.

So effectively by implication what you are saying is that a boy who was born and brought up in Nigeria particularly from socio-economic deprived background.

Can easily shave off some years from his age and still be classed as U17.

If you had the baseline data used to make the deduction on then it very plausible if not easy.

Nonetheless all MRI scans are indicative can only determine degree of bone fusion and age range. Not your specific age.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:29pm On Oct 27, 2019
edi287:

You mean for a kick about that didn't mean much?
When both Nwakali brothers were invited, Eze was doing better. We argued this extensively here.
Nothing wrong in feeling the way you do. Unlike Tammy, I won't blame Eze that much(still disappointed) provided he pledged to us but we were inviting players who didn't deserve to get invited ahead of him as at that time.
Anyhow Na for Rohr to play 2 DM and a CM when Iwobi is not so no worries...

Like I said, we will always find someone new. After all, in January, nobody was talking about Joe Aribo as much as we were talking about Tammy and Eze, 9 months later, na Aribo don get two caps and two goals. I wonder who Aribo bribed to get his own call up. Ati lo, ati de. No time to mourn nonsense.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:34pm On Oct 27, 2019
komekn:

This may be true.

But that doesn't mean to say that these deductions are without substance.

Look at a number of our players who claimed U16 in 2009 and you notice very little change. Shockingly some of them passed MRI at the time.

Go and look at Iwobi at U16 and look at him now there is clear and obvious difference in the way he look facial skeletal and otherwise.

What is annoying is the hypocrisy we all know that age cheating is rampant, endemic and wholescale across every sector in Nigeria.

Why then do people get up in arms when the issue of age cheating arises, in boisterous denial and hostile indignation.

Yes we now have MRI which has limited the degree of reckless and blatant age cheating that used to go on for years.

That doesn't mean it has now been eradicated yes limited but unfortunately until we have automatic birth data capture. It will always exist.

the problem we often have with players that metamorphosed from this set up when they get signed by foreign clubs...is not talent wise not even age self...it is basically indiscipline and not being ambitious....
just take a look at nwakali, nacho and even success.... this guys some years back shows glimpses of talents and potentials

what now happened?
they got carried away by the new environment, the freedom and all in the western world...and simply forgot why they left the shores of Africa in the first place...

my only fear for this players lies in this simple truth.....

if only they can keep being disciplined, keep their head down and stay ambitious.... they will grow to stardom...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
Barryseal:

Bros, you build a brand over time. Mention an English U21 player who commands a massive endorsement at this time. Trent Alexander Arnold and Rashford he mentioned plays for traditional teams in the Premiership and they are full time England internationals. These guys are no bench warmers for club adn country. Their marketing value is what it is because of who they are.

A guy like Eze will will get enough sponsorship if he is pop and fashionable, has good social media presence, plays for a top team as a major player, wins trophies and generally has good cross over appeal. With all these in the locker, he will get good endorsements and fat pay checks. Its immaterial if he played for Liberia or England.
He would earn more if he's marketable as an English international than Nigerian. It's just the plain truth.
You think Iwobi wouldn't have been getting much more from endorsement if he played for England?
I'll give you an example of Josh Mceachran. That dude was earning 38k per week at 2010 as a 17 year old. There isn't a 17 year old African no matter how talented they are that would earn that amount... Heck even in 2018. Not Nwakali that was a golden ball winner at U17 or Nacho after a the debut season he had(base wage was 15k).
This English premium we dey hear about no be for fancy. That can guarantee a player an additional 10-20k a week on top of what they'd earn normally.
I don't think finances is mainly the reason why Eze is having second thoughts but part of it.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2019
tbaba1234:

Attendance will probably pick up in the later stages if Brazil is still there.

Brazil is favorites to win this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2019
edi287:

I used the somewhat light hearted analogy of betrothal in Nigeria to create understanding. But it seems to have been too much for many to grasp.

Doing the traditional introduction for marriage is just the prelude. It's not the marriage and if you do an introduction and then are undecided by virtue of no action i.e. you haven't the paid bride. Another suitor is welcome to overthrow your position.

He was given a preliminary insight an introduction of sorts to the SE but was never given any INVITATION. He kept waiting indeed that wait has exceeded two years.

What more does he have too do and what do you expect him to think

My deduction by speculation not substantive fact just by circumstance and the nature of the NFF. Is that Rohr made the recommendation but other within the NFF had other ideas. And thier conflicting interests have made them push him to one side.

How on earth can you justify the invitation of Nwakali and the exclusion of Eze. It's simply bewildering.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
So Rohr called Tomori..got his number from Aina prior he become a Chelsea regular....
He dropped the same excuse Eze gave....only to accept England call up some weeks after...and starting granting rubbish interview saying Nigeria never called him up, I am assure too must have made attempt and the dude is busy lying around...

just don't understand why this anglo-Nigeria players are so good in lying.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
komekn:

So effectively by implication what you are saying is that a boy who was born and brought up in Nigeria particularly from socio-economic deprived background.

If you had the baseline data used to make the deduction on then it very plausible if not easy.

Nonetheless all MRI scans are indicative can only determine degree of bone fusion and age range. Not your specific age.

Egbenu osi danu jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:56pm On Oct 27, 2019
Humility017:

the problem we often have with players that metamorphosed from this set up when they get signed by foreign clubs...is not talent wise not even age self...it is basically indiscipline and not being ambitious....
just take a look at nwakali, nacho and even success.... this guys some years back shows glimpses of talents and potentials

what now happened?
they got carried away by the new environment, the freedom and all in the western world...and simply forgot why they left the shores of Africa in the first place...

my only fear for this players lies in this simple truth.....

if only they can keep being disciplined, keep their head down and stay ambitious.... they will grow to stardom...

Unfortunately this is not unique to Nigerian. Players but it affects all players.

It takes discipline and yes HUMILITY not to believe your own hype. The temptation to loose focus is very high. Having a supportive and strong family behind you is VERY IMPORTANT.

Can imagine a 16 year old getting 15k a week with all the temptations it brings.

I am less forgiving of Nigerian players who after struggling climbing mountains of contention to get here. Very quickly forget all the suffering and people relying on them and even those who supported them.

I am most impressed by Ndidi and Chukwueze by thier Humilitiy, discipline and diligence. They are the opposite of Nwakali and Success.

Now money is not the root of all evil it is the worshiping of it. There are many pastors that are preaching with thunder and lightning. Just give them £2k every week and the boot neck U TURN they will do will shock you. They sef go begin carry smallee forget church deh Go club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 1:59pm On Oct 27, 2019
Humility017:
So Rohr called Tomori..got his number from Aina prior he become a Chelsea regular....
He dropped the same excuse Eze gave....only to accept England call up some weeks after...and starting granting rubbish interview saying Nigeria never called him up, I am assure too must have made attempt and the dude is busy lying around...

just don't understand why this anglo-Nigeria players are so good in lying.

Dont be surprise rohr is very interested in eze and have been making moves but dude isn't interested, but most people here are insulting rohr and blaming him

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 2:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
edi287:

He would earn more if he's marketable as an English international than Nigerian. It's just the plain truth.
You think Iwobi wouldn't have been getting much more from endorsement if he played for England?
I'll give you an example of Josh Mceachran. That dude was earning 38k per week at 2010 as a 17 year old. There isn't a 17 year old African no matter how talented they are that would earn that amount... Heck even in 2018. Not Nwakali that was a golden ball winner at U17 or Nacho after a the debut season he had(base wage was 15k).
This English premium we dey hear about no be for fancy. That can guarantee a player an additional 10-20k a week on top of what they'd earn normally.
I don't think finances is mainly the reason why Eze is having second thoughts but part of it.

Yes, the English premium is real, but these days other players around the globe have earned better commercial sponsorship than the English.
Iwobi was on 70k a week at Arsenal at 21. Everton currently pays him 120K. He is a Nike athlete, he also has an endorsement with Pepsi. I don't know what these contracts are worth but I'm sure he will be a commercial success if he becomes a world class player.
Football have drastically evolved, not only the English make money. No English man is in the top5 most marketable player in the world.

Zaha is the highest earner at Crystal Palace. A club record 130K/ week, yet he is turning out for Ivory Coast. That should tell you something.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 2:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
safarigirl:
Has anyone seen the post about the whole dropping of a player for DSS' son?
that one start today?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:10pm On Oct 27, 2019
These next qualifiers are ridiculous. We are expected to play barely 2 days after the window opens and then fly for another match in 3 days.

I hope FIFA intervenes because players long term health could be at risk.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 2:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
safarigirl:

You are right
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 2:16pm On Oct 27, 2019
komekn:

Oga, I am not here for argument. Please read my earlier post and the discussion I had with Icon4s about the subject.

I am not in the mood to start arguing about player ages today please
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:16pm On Oct 27, 2019
Barryseal:

Yes, the English premium is real, but these days other players around the globe have earned better commercial sponsorship than the English.
Iwobi was on 70k a week at Arsenal at 21. Everton currently pays him 120K. He is a Nike athlete, he also has an endorsement with Pepsi. I don't know what these contracts are worth but I'm sure he will be a commercial success if he becomes a world class player.
Football have drastically evolved, not only the English make money. No English man is in the top5 most marketable player in the world.

Zaha is the highest earner at Crystal Palace. A club record 130K/ week, yet he is turning out for Ivory Coast. That should tell you something.
Easier for Zaha to make that switch as he had already taken advantage of the "young English player with potential" talk. The likes of Eze, Tammy, etc are still young and haven't tapped into that yet.
EPL is the financial heavyweight of the game. The average epl footballer earns more than your LA Liga, Buli, Ligue Un and Serie A player.
The average English youth player is earning more than any other youth player around.
I know we like to clown Dominic Iorfa on here but his father wasn't stupid when he said Iorfa would play for naija when he's 23. The guy knew what he was doing.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2019
andrew444:

Dont be surprise rohr is very interested in eze and have been making moves but dude isn't interested, but most people here are insulting rohr and blaming him
Same Eze said with his own mouth he'd play for naija even when he got that U20 call up from England.
For all we know he and his agent knew he wouldn't be capped tied if he played with the U20s while waiting for us to call him up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:28pm On Oct 27, 2019
Barryseal:

Wow i was thinking iwobi doesnt earn up to that till i just read he is everton highest earner alongside yerry mina and bernard, i hope my source is legit

(1) (2) (3) ... (7455) (7456) (7457) (7458) (7459) (7460) (7461) ... (16446) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, AndSunGorilla, Towbaba500(m), Badbunny, Suzzytee05(f) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.