Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,278 members, 7,881,042 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12031040 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8139) (8140) (8141) (8142) (8143) (8144) (8145) ... (16410) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:57pm On Jan 10, 2020
charlesemeka85:
do you really know the meaning of the word overrated? that should be used for the likes of okechukwu,nwakali and others not chuks.

a kid that made his snr debut in professional football and the best league in the world just last season and currently been linked with top clubs around europe. he is already rated among the best young players in the world and was nominated for the golden boy and caf young player of the year

why is there so much interest in him if he isn't good as hyped? abi u think those interested teams do not send scouts to watch him play?

some peeps think that when we say or call this players bundle of talents we are over rating them....
I doubt if they would have say otherwise had it been this players were of other nationals....

it is obvious that this lad is even underrated here.... and only rated well by top scouts in Europe and Others....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:01pm On Jan 10, 2020
TheGoodJoe:
To TheSuperNerd.

Thank you for the hard work you put into the u17 thread. Even though they did not win, your passion to support them and wish them success was highly commendable. I hope those young lads grow to become exceptional players. Thank you.

I see the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Like father like son.

Lol.... grin grin

Thanks so much My Big Sir Goodjoe.... We shall continue to keep the flag flying for all our national teams and keep the people informed.

There is some good news about to pop out concerning Akinkunmi Amoo and I sure hope it turns out positive and sets our "little Messi" on his path to greatness and for the good of Naija football. Samson Tijani will begin his journey in Austria later in may and I believe the lad will blossom into something very special indeed.

We have another U-17 and U-20 class to look forward to much later this year when the crews for both sides are formally put together. It will be a pleasure to discuss and unveil the next generation of Naija youngsters that can go on to be world stars.

Until then again, it is cheers... cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 5:06pm On Jan 10, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Lol.... grin grin

Thanks so much My Big Sir Goodjoe.... We shall continue to keep the flag flying for all our national teams and keep the people informed.

There is some good news about to pop out concerning Akinkunmi Amoo and I sure hope it turns out positive and sets our "little Messi" on his path to greatness and for the good of Naija football. [b]Samson Tijani will begin his journey in Austria later in may [/b]and I believe the lad will blossom into something very special indeed.

We have another U-17 and U-20 class to look forward to much later this year when the crews for both sides are formally put together. It will be a pleasure to discuss and unveil the next generation of Naija youngsters that can go on to be world stars.

Until then again, it is cheers... cool
Why do our young players like to start their careers in low quality league countries? There's zero tolerance for failure in these countries and hence plenty of pressure on these 'youngsters'. Hence why many don't make it big.

I guess it all depends on their plans for their careers though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:07pm On Jan 10, 2020
forgiveness:

Person wey be grandpa. tongue

Ehnnn naa... That's because you be great grandpa naa... tongue

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 5:10pm On Jan 10, 2020
Nigeria declare interest in hosting 2020 Africa Cup of Nations as national governing body label themselves 'home of women's football'

Nigeria's football federation have confirmed their interest in hosting the 2020 African Cup of Nations.

The Super Falcons have won the tournament as hosts on three previous occasions - 1998, 2002 and 2016 - and are also the current holders having claimed an 11th title overall in 2018.

The President of the Confederation of African Football, Ahmed, told French radio station RFI that Equatorial Guinea are another nation hoping to stage the event.

A host for the tournament later this year is trying to be found after Congo-Brazzaville pulled out.

‪Speaking to BBC Sport, the NFF's director of communications Ademola Olajire said: "We've formally written to CAF about the interest to host the event. We are working on the bidding documents and we should get it over to CAF soon.

"This is the home of women's football and the leading football nation in the continent.

"I believe it's the right time to do it again. We've done it before and we believe it will be like bringing it home again."

Nigeria will find out whether they have been successful in their bid to stage the 2020 competition when a final decision is made on January 15.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:13pm On Jan 10, 2020
Well, in world football there is no particularly scripted path to the top my good man. We have seen many who has made it to the Big leagues from the small leagues and many who have made it into relevance in Belgium and France from the small leagues with a view to moving into the Big 4.
Then we have those who start from decent to big and the few who start at a somewhat above decent level.
Then there are those who start out big and remain there. wink

I believe Tijani moving to RB Salzburg is a wonderful one. The Austrian league may be small in comparison to the Top 5 leagues but that club is a Champions league club and the best in Austria. Plus they give the young players who excel in their feeder side a fair chance. Tijani is on course... How far he goes, well that's now up to him.
Same thing with Akinkunmi Amoo.

proudly9ja:

Why do our young players like to start their careers in low quality league countries? There's zero tolerance for failure in these countries and hence plenty of pressure on these 'youngsters'. Hence why many don't make it big.

I guess it all depends on their plans for their careers though.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 5:21pm On Jan 10, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Well, in world football there is no particularly scripted path to the top my good man. We have seen many who has made it to the Big leagues from the small leagues and many who have made it into relevance in Belgium and France from the small leagues with a view to moving into the Big 4.
Then we have those who start from decent to big and the few who start at a somewhat above decent level.
Then there are those who start out big and remain there. wink

I believe Tijani moving to RB Salzburg is a wonderful one. The Austrian league may be small in comparison to the Top 5 but that club is a Champions league club and the best in Austria. Plus they give the young players who excel in their feeder side a fair chance. Tijani is on course... How far he goes, well that's now up to him.
Same thing with Akinkunmi Amoo.

Obviously, I don't have a crystal ball hence I don't know how it will pan out for him but I do pray it turns out well.

However, for young players, I always advice going to leagues with good academies and where they can learn. The Dutch league is a good example. Academies in Premier league are also good. Belgium is another good example.

Salzburg is a good club but the problem is, they will expect him to perform from day one unlike in the leagues above where they are likely to be patient with him due to his age.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:48pm On Jan 10, 2020
i doubt you know the current pedigree of the redbull academies. they provide the best platform and environment for unpolished talents to lunch their careers in europe.

tijani is will start with the salzburg academy where he will be sent on loan to lefering another team affiliated to the energy drink company which plays in the austrian 2nd tier. his development will be monitored and if he does well in the austrian 2nd tier automatically he will be promoted to salzburg's first team in the austrian 1st tier.

developmental wise the salzburg deal is a good one for him

proudly9ja:

Obviously, I don't have a crystal ball hence I don't know how it will pan out for him but I do pray it turns out well.

However, for young players, I always advice going to leagues with good academies and where they can learn. The Dutch league is a good example. Academies in Premier league are also good. Belgium is another good example.

Salzburg is a good club but the problem is, they will expect him to perform from day one unlike in the leagues above where they are likely to be patient with him due to his age.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:50pm On Jan 10, 2020
No... You are wrong about Salzburg. They will be patient with him and he will be allowed to blend in. He is not walking into their first team as soon as he is 18 naa... No way. He will be eased in and start from Salzburg's feeder team. If you know about the Red Bull Sports Group and their ways with young talents, you will know that Tijani is in good hands.
Red Bull also owns and runs RB Leipzig in Germany. Big sister club to RB Salzburg in Austria.

Infact, talking about pressure, it is more in England than at Salzburg, in Holland or in Belgium.

proudly9ja:

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:52pm On Jan 10, 2020
Liverpool expert Paul Gorst does not think that the current Nigeria Football Federation Young Player of the Year, Samuel Chukwueze will join the European and world champions in the January transfer window amid speculations linking him with a transfer to Anfield.

Liverpool Echo journalist Gorst answered transfer questions from The Reds fans on Friday and touched on the subject of rumours linking the Villarreal youngster with a switch to Liverpool.

The likes of Chelsea and most recently Lyon have been credited with an interest in Chukwueze, who is valued in the region of sixty three million euros by his Spanish La Liga club.

Asked if Liverpool are making a move for Chukwueze this month, Gorst was quoted as saying by Liverpool Echo : "I don’t anticipate any more incomings to the senior side in January, but long-term, Chukwueze ticks a lot of boxes.

"He will be 21 in May, is capable of playing on both flanks and would surely accept being a back-up to Mane and Salah.

"He is not a name I have heard discussed privately but he certainly has a few things going his way. It won’t be January though."

Chukwueze is contracted to Villarreal until June 2023 and has 56 first-team games under his belt, scoring 11 goals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2020
Now reported that Newcastle United have made an offer for Emmanuel Dennis

Wednesday morning has brought reports that Newcastle United have made an offer for Emmanuel Dennis.

The report claim comes from Manu Lonjon who is a journalist working for Eurosport.

He says an offer has been made for the striker but not how much has been offered.

Emmanuel Dennis plays for Club Brugge and turned 22 in November.

After one season playing in the Ukraine, the Nigerian forward signed for Club Brugge for £1m in June 2017.

In his first two seasons in Belgium, the striker scored 14 goal in 32 league starts (and 24 sub appearances).

This season, Emmanuel Dennis has scored five goals in 11 league starts (plus four sub appearances) and grabbed headlines in the Champions League in October. The then 21 year old scored twice to earn Club Brugge a 2-2 draw away at Real Madrid.

However, in eight other CL starts (and one sub appearance), the striker only managed one more goal.

The forward made his first senior appearance for Nigeria in September 2019.

The number of players linked with Newcastle United already this month has been all a bit mad and impossible to say what we should take seriously.

As for Emmanuel Dennis, whilst Club Brugge are set to win the league easily, currently 10 points clear at the top, you would have to be a bit sceptical of Dennis being able to make an instant step up to Premier League level when he isn’t automatic first choice for Club Brugge, having started 11 of their league matches but named on the bench in another eight.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/01/now-reported-that-newcastle-united-have-made-an-offer-for-emmanuel-dennis/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 7:05pm On Jan 10, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Agreed

People are mistaking that it’s only when you play for a big club you are a top player

Top players = players in top team and top league

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:09pm On Jan 10, 2020
Utonwanne:

Alright bro got ya

But there are still some top players in smaller teams

Example like when payet played for westham, dude is even world class

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:09pm On Jan 10, 2020
Utonwanne:

U don't have to be in a top team. Iago Aspas and Wilf Zaha both play for lackluster sides but are top players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:12pm On Jan 10, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

U don't have to be in a top team. Iago Aspas and Wilf Zaha both play for lackluster sides but are top players.

Thank you

I used zaha as an example earlier when arguing with tbaba

Iago aspas, papu gomez, immobile, maybe lazio is a big team thou, there are many more

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 7:17pm On Jan 10, 2020
charlesemeka85:
okechukwu that many here said is better than ndidi and will send the leceister man to the bench if given a chance in the super eagles? maybe your phone lost then cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Oga,,,, chuks is overrated here.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:25pm On Jan 10, 2020
andrewbaba44:
Now reported that Newcastle United have made an offer for Emmanuel Dennis

Wednesday morning has brought reports that Newcastle United have made an offer for Emmanuel Dennis.

The report claim comes from Manu Lonjon who is a journalist working for Eurosport.

He says an offer has been made for the striker but not how much has been offered.

Emmanuel Dennis plays for Club Brugge and turned 22 in November.

After one season playing in the Ukraine, the Nigerian forward signed for Club Brugge for £1m in June 2017.

In his first two seasons in Belgium, the striker scored 14 goal in 32 league starts (and 24 sub appearances).

This season, Emmanuel Dennis has scored five goals in 11 league starts (plus four sub appearances) and grabbed headlines in the Champions League in October. The then 21 year old scored twice to earn Club Brugge a 2-2 draw away at Real Madrid.

However, in eight other CL starts (and one sub appearance), the striker only managed one more goal.

The forward made his first senior appearance for Nigeria in September 2019.

The number of players linked with Newcastle United already this month has been all a bit mad and impossible to say what we should take seriously.

As for Emmanuel Dennis, whilst Club Brugge are set to win the league easily, currently 10 points clear at the top, you would have to be a bit sceptical of Dennis being able to make an instant step up to Premier League level when he isn’t automatic first choice for Club Brugge, having started 11 of their league matches but named on the bench in another eight.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/01/now-reported-that-newcastle-united-have-made-an-offer-for-emmanuel-dennis/

And somebody was talking nonsense here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 7:25pm On Jan 10, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

Zaha has been dishing out great performance for like 5 consecutive years now- yes I know but him being a top player is debatable.

As for Aspas, grin so Oga Vasco, if I ask you to name top strikers in the world, will you count Aspas among them?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:29pm On Jan 10, 2020
Utonwanne:

Zaha has been dishing out great performance for like 5 consecutive years now- yes I know but him being a top player is debatable.

As for Aspas, grin so Oga Vasco, if I ask you to name top strikers in the world, will you count Aspas among them?

Aspas is a top player who can play anywhere upfront

147 laliga games and 82 goal, no average player can get such while playing for celta vigo

Not every striker need to be like cavani suarez and co before you will call him a top player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:31pm On Jan 10, 2020
Subzero047:

And somebody was talking nonsense here

Allow a player join before you will know if he will make an impact or not

Dennis has played 27 games this season and starting more than half of them , so maybe he is a bench warmer if so ,teams do rotate and i will consider dennis a regular, as for his stats he was never a striker.

I will not make meaningless argument with you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 7:43pm On Jan 10, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Aspas is a top player who can play anywhere upfront

147 laliga games and 82 goal, no average player can get such while playing for celta vigo

Not every striker need to be like cavani suarez and co before you will call him a top player

Is top player not as same as world class??

Aspas is doing really great but not at that top.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:46pm On Jan 10, 2020
Utonwanne:

Is top player not as same as world class??

Aspas is doing really great but not at that top.

Okay thats true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:58pm On Jan 10, 2020
So na saudi arabia ogu finally go?

Chai
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 10, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Chai

Better than Indonesia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:59pm On Jan 10, 2020
Wow. Who’s this dude

Does anyone know who this dude is

Safarigirl, Abeg, ignore the perv shocked sad angry

O pari

1realBobby:

Babe... I need you in my life.... Your intelligence turns me on big time!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2020
Bolowolowo:

Better than Indonesia

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chucs: 8:06pm On Jan 10, 2020
Utonwanne:

Oga,,,, chuks is overrated here.
Dube but If we don't hype these young guys, no one will do that for us. Other countries does same so I don't see it as overrating.

Of course, there should be a demarcation between leading them on and wishful thinking..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:08pm On Jan 10, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Allow a player join before you will know if he will make an impact or not

Dennis has played 27 games this season and starting more than half of them , so maybe he is a bench warmer if so ,teams do rotate and i will consider dennis a regular, as for his stats he was never a striker.

I will not make meaningless argument with you.

You didn't allow Chukwueze to join a top club before knowing he's overrated

Mr Meaningful

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:11pm On Jan 10, 2020
Icon79:
Wow. Who’s this dude

Does anyone know who this dude is

Safarigirl, Abeg, ignore the perv shocked sad angry

O pari

I was just waiting for this.... cheesy

Safari's number 1 suitor in-house is triggered.... Hahahahahahaha....

Icon79 be looking heartbroken and jealous like the guy staring below.... grin grin

**Dodges slippers, dodges cups and plates...amd zooms off**

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:18pm On Jan 10, 2020
Subzero047:

You didn't allow Chukwueze to join a top club before knowing he's overrated

Mr Meaningful

I said he is overrated by peeps here, simple thing you no fit understand grin

And where did i say he wont join a top club or go there and do badly? just as you have already saw dennis do badly in the epl

Maybe your brain dey shake
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:19pm On Jan 10, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

I was just waiting for this.... cheesy

Safari's number 1 suitor in-house is triggered.... Hahahahahahaha....

Icon79 be looking heartbroken and jealous like the guy staring below.... grin grin

**Dodges slippers, dodges cups and plates...amd zooms off**

Ahhh

Which kind friend zone meme be this grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:19pm On Jan 10, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Chai

Where else would u rather he went to, considering his age? The move is cerebral, he's got to amass as much money as he could, bkus he ain't got much years left to call time on his career.

Let's see where his fellow carpenter ends up - Onazi grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8139) (8140) (8141) (8142) (8143) (8144) (8145) ... (16410) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.