Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,621 members, 7,924,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 10:07 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (821) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12267329 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (818) (819) (820) (821) (822) (823) (824) ... (16527) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:25pm On Apr 18, 2017
It seems you are sentimental toward's Guardiola in this argument. I've read your posts and your focus have been Iheanacho developing areas he does not posses under Pep. Have you ever wondered why Kelechi has looked uncharacteristically less confident since the arrival of Pep? Something is indeed lacking from Pep. Is that also good for his development?

TheGoodJoe:

I already put that in context in my forecast. That is why I always stressed that I was more interested in Iheanacho soaking the lessons of Guardiola than playing time. I believe it will benefit him more in the long run than looking for playing time under a coach who will not instill such lessons and Discipline.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:25pm On Apr 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

Nasri was Arsenal's best player, the season before moving to Manchester City. He did not suddenly improve because of Pep. He would have been a key player even he was signed directly by Sevilla.

Delph was an outstanding even before City. He was no slouch.

Nasri was big at Arsenal but never fired on all cylinders at City. There was even a game Nasri played well and Mancini said watching Nasri play that way makes him want to punch Nasri.

The young man lacked the drive and effort to perform consistently at a top level. Under Pellegrini's last season, Nasri was one of the pin pointed culprits for our slump. Many tipped him as one of those Guardiola will drop.

Remember, Nasri returned overweight and Guardiola screened him off training with the team. Guardiola's act sparked a drive in Nasri to prove he was still capable. Nasri worked hard, dropped his weight and reports said he was improving.

Guardiola brought him back to the team and the young man was amazing. Still have the memories of his performance that day. Fans screamed Nasri's name and pundits asked for him to stay.

So considering the dynamics, you can not use Nasri was a big player for Arsenal. That is past tense. Lol.

As for Delph, he might have ratings at Villa but was never a buzz name for City. Today, we crave to watch him play with the Sky Moon City jersey.

People play down the work behind the scene a lot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:30pm On Apr 18, 2017
Joebie:
It seems you are sentimental toward's Guardiola in this argument. I've read your posts and your focus have been Iheanacho developing areas he does not posses under Pep. Have you ever wondered why Kelechi has looked uncharacteristically less confident since the arrival of Pep?
Is that also good for his development as well?

I do not think the term is lack of confidence. It is a difficult system to Master. Mascherano said it took him years. I think it is a case of Nacho adapting to the system.

Recently, we saw De Bruyne have less than awful games. In the last game against Southampton, Guardiola put De Bruyne on the wing and he was brilliant with two assists.

It became clear that Guardiola gets De Bruyne can play the forward role exceptionally well. He wants De Bruyne to improve in other areas like playing as a deep lying playmaker.

De Bruyne was not lacking confident but learning to adapt. The more the players adapt to these roles, they improve.

Another example was Guardiola telling Delph to train with the defenders when he became coach of City. This meant Delph being totally confused and learning new things. In the end, it improved Delph's style of play and understanding.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:42pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Nasri was big at Arsenal but never fired on all cylinders at City. There was even a game Nasri played well and Mancini said watching Nasri play that way makes him want to punch Nasri.

The young man lacked the drive and effort to perform consistently at a top level. Under Pellegrini's last season, Nasri was one of the pin pointed culprits for our slump. Many tipped him as one of those Guardiola will drop.

Remember, Nasri returned overweight and Guardiola screened him off training with the team. Guardiola's act sparked a drive in Nasri to prove he was still capable. Nasri worked hard, dropped his weight and reports said he was improving.

Guardiola brought him back to the team and the young man was amazing. Still have the memories of his performance that day. Fans screamed Nasri's name and pundits asked for him to stay.

So considering the dynamics, you can not use Nasri was a big player for Arsenal. That is past tense. Lol.

As for Delph, he might have ratings at Villa but was never a buzz name for City. Today, we crave to watch him play with the Sky Moon City jersey.

People play down the work behind the scene a lot.

Nasri had a few good seasons for Man. City. He did not become exceptional because of Pep. He is not playing at a higher level than he played when he was at Arsenal. If anything, his biggest improvement came at Arsenal not under Pep.

As for Delph, playing for a bigger club gives you more recognition.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I hold and share your fears. Believe me, I am as well conscious of the dicey situation Iheanacho is in. However, we can not close our eyes to the fact that without playing time, we have seen improvement in players screened off the team by Guardiola.

Aguero's recent spike in his team play happened when Guardiola left him out of the team for Gabriel Jesus.

We saw remarkable improvement in Yaya Toure after Guardiola brought him back to the squad

Samir Nasri looked a revelation after Guardiola brought him in as a sub in the second leg play off against Steau Bucharest. So remarkable he got to go to Sevilla, got the ten shirt and became a key player.

Caballero who was awful with his feet before the arrival of Claudio Bravo is now rock solid with his feet and makes picture perfect passes when under pressure.

Fabian Delph is the latest of them.

My point remains that I am interested in the result of working with Guardiola than just game time. Despite Nacho having little to no game time, I have zero doubt that he is developing at a fast rate. When he gets a run, we will tell the difference.

Bros, gently na. I dey observation zone before but my body no fit hold this your latest yarn. So Pep is responsible for Nasri's performance at Sevilla? Haba. Why you dey do like this na?

You mention Caballero, but are always silent on how drilling spoilt Bravo's life. Drilling, drilling, drilling...yet he has become one of the season's biggest flops.

Goldfish80 don talk am tire say Delph na proper baller before City, he even shared videos, yet you continue to run with Pep created Delph talk. Why na?

Aguero recent spike is Pep? Chai...Aguero has always been the go-to person before Pep arrived. We can even argue that this is one of his worst seasons. Why na?

Yaya Toure has been a Man City legend since Pep threw him out of Barcelona. This is his worst season in England yet. But you still say he has remarkably improved. Why na?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

Nasri had a few good seasons for Man. City. He did not become exceptional because of Pep. He is not playing at a higher level than he played when he was at Arsenal. If anything, his biggest improvement came at Arsenal not under Pep.

As for Delph, playing for a bigger club gives you more recognition.

Nasri was in poor form before the arrival of Guardiola. He was over weight. In a few months he came back to shape and played better than he was playing before Guardiola's arrival. Yet, you want us to believe it has nothing to do with Guardiola. Na wa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:12pm On Apr 18, 2017
joseph1013:

Bros, gently na. So Pep is responsible for Nasri's performance at Sevilla. Haba. Why you dey do like this na?

You mention Caballero, but are always silent on how drilling spoilt Bravo's life. Drilling, drilling, drilling...yet he has become one of the season's biggest flops.

Goldfish80 don talk am tire say Delph na proper baller before City, he even shared videos, yet you continue to run with Pep created Delph talk. Why na?

Aguero recent spike is Pep? Chai...Aguero has always been the go-to person before Pep arrived. We can even argue that this is one of his worst seasons. Why na?

Yaya Toure has been a Man City legend since Pep threw him out of Barcelona. This is his worst season in England yet. But you still say he has remarkably improved. Why na?

Your first line is totally off point. I said Nasri's improved by the time he played against Steaua Bucharest despite being screened out by Guardiola. It is clear. That prompted the Sevilla deal. Na wa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:24pm On Apr 18, 2017
joseph1013:

Bros, gently na. I dey observation zone before but my body no fit hold this your latest yarn. So Pep is responsible for Nasri's performance at Sevilla? Haba. Why you dey do like this na?

Honestly, so much holes in your argument.

Nasri. During Drills when Guardiola arrived, Nasri failed basic sprint test. Keep in mind, Nasri was one of Arsenal's fastest players before he joined City. Lesson for all those game time fanatics.

Guardiola put Nasri on a special fat burning programme where he did workouts on an empty stomach. This enabled Nasri drop so much weight in a short time. I wonder how someone can argue Guardiola's impact.

Caballero during the preseason was awful with his feet. Today he is brilliant. This should not even spark a debate. Even Caballero will fee stunned that you want to take such credit off Guardiola.

Delph himself said working with Guardiola has changed him. Yet you want to look for excuse to tell Delph that is not true. Especially after Guardiola put him on defensive drills to improve his game and understanding. Baffling.

It is shocking that after I was one who criticised Aguero’s play repeatedly and how he did not fit Guardiola's possession-heavy style, you want to Argue Guardiola's impact in his current improvement where pundits describe Aguero as the perfect Guardiola player.

Yaya Toure has been a legend at City. No one argued that but his work rate when we lose the ball was always poor. He came under heavy criticism due to this. Yet you want to argue despite Yaya improving in this and also improved in his game control style.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:13pm On Apr 18, 2017
Kakamorufu:
What more can aluko do to convince rohr that he deserves a place in the SE squad
I tell you if he was in Germany playing even in second tier league rohr would have since invites him....
someone just need to tell him of this guy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:54pm On Apr 18, 2017
Humility017:

I tell you if he was in Germany playing even in second tier league rohr would have since invites him....
someone just need to tell him of this guy

He needs to think about leaving England because he seems to always be stuck in either a promotion or relegation battle.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:14pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Time is ticking but Martins early exploit at Inter Milan did not culminate in him becoming one of the best hitmen in the history of the game. That is what I am pointing at. The hype does not mean development.

Development is reaching a level where he is operating at the best of his abilities. Martins did not reach it despite ticking early.

At the end of the day, what counts is the trophies he won through his impacts. Martins don reach am. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ugobest007: 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2017
Please help me, I head arsenal club still dey get new intake of fans
Laugh wan kill me.

Make I no come laugh forget my self, by the way you can visit our site for your ecurrency exchange. Bitcoins, perfect money, PayPal, RMB.... Etc

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:28pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Okay naa.... then let us call back Martins, Yakubu, Emenike, Osaze and even Yobo.....

is that it?

The fact is Ighalo and co are just flashes in the pan... they are not up and doing... that is the fact... and Iheanacho is the best we have now... so that makes him a man.... coz he has shown he can actually Carry the team on his young shoulders.

And when Pele was leading Brazil's attack in the semis against Sweden in 1958.... and then in the final... you wanna tell me there was no older striker in that team?

You call the world cup a men's world cup... but being a man in a team is not just a function of age and experience... it is also a function of responsibility and how much one can actually deliver on the team's behalf... this is football... and we have seen youngsters step into the shoes of men and become men themselves despite their tender years.

Martins is never a up and doing player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:29pm On Apr 18, 2017
forgiveness:

Martins is never a up and doing player.

Martins is actually performing better than any other Nigerian player in the Chinese league.

When he was in the MLS he was the top performing Nigerian player. In addition one of the top performers

If he wasn't the top performing Nigerian player in La Liga in 2012/13, he would be very close to it.

If Obagoal was playing in the Bundesliga he would probably have the highest goal tally of all Nigerian players in the Bundesliga. And you know what Rohr would have him as the first man on the SE team sheet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:39pm On Apr 18, 2017
With what i watched tonight, i need two nig youngsters to dream of playing for real madrid. that club can ginger a weaklings confidence to think he is a star already. if only.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:41pm On Apr 18, 2017
terzurum5:
Chelsea, Arsenal Loanees Tomori, Akpom Promoted To The Premier League

Chelsea defender Fikayo Tomori and Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom could be playing in the English Premier League next season if Brighton & Hove Albion retain their services.

Only yesterday, The Seagulls sealed promotion to the Premier League from the Championship for the first time in their history following their 2-1 win over Wigan Athletic, and Derby County held Huddersfield Town to a 1-1 draw in the late game.

This is the second consecutive season that former England youth-teamer Akpom has been part of a team promoted to the top-flight as the Hale End Academy product spent last season on loan at Hull City.

Chelsea current Academy Player of the Year Tomori has featured seven times for Brighton in the Championship, while Akpom has suited up nine times following their loan moves in the January transfer window.

Vancouver Whitecaps loanee and Canada international of Nigerian heritage Sam Adekugbe made one appearance for Brighton in the league this term.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22753

And how many goals has the prolific Chuba scored and or assists made for Brighton and Hove
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:41pm On Apr 18, 2017
forgiveness:

At the end of the day, what counts is the trophies he won through his impacts. Martins don reach am. grin

Who told you that is what counts. Martins underachieved when you consider his ability. He could have won more trophies and become a bigger name.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:43pm On Apr 18, 2017
daveP:
With what i watched tonight, i need two nig youngsters to dream of playing for real madrid. that club can ginger a weaklings confidence to think he is a star already. if only.....

Derik Osede made a big mistake leaving Real Madrid. He should have been patient with Zidane. Slowly the young players from the academy are breaking in. Frightening when you consider Osede was one of the shining lights of the academy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:45pm On Apr 18, 2017
The officiating today was atrocious and makes a big case for my constant call for video replay technology. We are seeing more poor officiating as time goes on. The red card of Vidal was terrible and the Ronaldo Offside goal was even worse.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:46pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Derik Osede made a big mistake leaving Real Madrid. He should have been patient with Zidane. Slowly the young players from the academy are breaking in. Frightening when you consider Osede was one of the shining lights of the academy.

Do you know how many youngsters pass through the real Madrid system? Only a few make it through. Derik did not stand a chance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:50pm On Apr 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

Do you know how many youngsters pass through the real Madrid system? Only a few make it through. Derik did not stand a chance.

Why will he not stand a chance when he was one of their promising starlets? The reason why lots of Madrid players did not make it in the past is because they did not have managers who believed in youth.

Unlike Zidane who actually was a youth coach and worked with the likes of Morata and Osede. He has a preference of making his boys do well. If Zidane was not coach, most of these young lads will not get a chance. Derik was impatient. I believe he Regrets his action to leave.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Hmm! we need bombardment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Why will he not stand a chance when he was one of their promising starlets? The reason why lots of Madrid players did not make it in the past is because they did not have managers who believed in youth.

Unlike Zidane who actually was a youth coach and worked with the likes of Morata and Osede. He has a preference of making his boys do well. If Zidane was not coach, most of these young lads will not get a chance. Derik was impatient. I believe he Regrets his action to leave.

He was among the most promising?? Can you provide evidence of that.

He was a good player but did not necessarily stand a chance to make the first team. If he did, he would have been signed by other sides in La liga or in the top leagues.

Mutiu Adepoju was a promising Real Madrid talent. He played in La Liga.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:07pm On Apr 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

He was a good player but did not necessarily stand a chance to make the first team. If he did, he would have been signed by other sides in La liga or in the top leagues.

You do not need evidence. It is easy to know. Osede was a Super regular player for the club. Regular for the club and became regular for the Spanish Junior teams.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

Mutiu Adepoju was a promising Real Madrid talent. He played in La Liga.

I was critical of Osede leaving Real Madrid. My opinion of working under top conditions is clear. I would have preferred him staying at Madrid. I also hated the fact he left Spain. Maybe he wanted to mix with the English culture being part Nigerian. Lots of Spanish young players move to England because of picking the language.

At the end, his lack of patience led him to a wrong move. He had a shot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:17pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You do not need evidence. It is easy to know. Osede was a Super regular player for the club. Regular for the club and became regular for the Spanish Junior teams.

That is not enough. Playing for the B team does not guarantee promotion to the senior team. Several players play for the B side and never make the move up. Only the exceptional do.

There is no evidence that Derik was in that calibre

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:18pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I was critical of Osede leaving Real Madrid. My opinion of working under top conditions is clear. I would have preferred him staying at Madrid. I also hated the fact he left Spain. Maybe he wanted to mix with the English culture being part Nigerian. Lots of Spanish young players move to England because of picking the language.

At the end, his lack of patience led him to a wrong move. He had a shot.

If he thought, he had a genuine shot, he would have stayed.

If he had a genuine shot, he would have gotten other La lira offers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:21pm On Apr 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

If he thought, he had a genuine shot, he would have stayed.

If he had a genuine shot, he would have gotten other La lira offers.

Now we are in circles. I said Osede should have shown faith in Zidane. He made a mistake not sticking around. It is a genuine mistake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:23pm On Apr 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

That is not enough. Playing for the B team does not guarantee promotion to the senior team. Several players play for the B side and never make the move up. Only the exceptional do.

There is no evidence that Derik was in that calibre

There is evidence because Osede also broke into the Spanish Junior team made of promising talents and they won the Euro. By then I did not even knew he had Nigerian Youths.

The youngsters breaking into Real Madrid did not also know they will make it. Zidane is going against the norm by showing faith in the young players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:39pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

There is evidence because Osede also broke into the Spanish Junior team made of promising talents and they won the Euro. By then I did not even knew he had Nigerian Youths.

The youngsters breaking into Real Madrid did not also know they will make it. Zidane is going against the norm by showing faith in the young players.

Many of the stars that won Nigeria 99 never played in La Liga. Playing for a youth side does not guarantee senior team football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 12:08am On Apr 19, 2017
TheGoodjoe..... Obi 1 of Bias kingdom. The Eze ndi Eze of Contradiction community. Igweeee!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:23am On Apr 19, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

If I told you Osede's contract wasn't renewed by Madrid, just like Ekpolo's at Barca, ur next point to back up this total preconception might be that their release were borne outta racism. Sir plz abjure this ya claim, in fact disavow it totally.

Osede was released because he couldn't cut it, it was never because he was impatient with anybody.

(1) (2) (3) ... (818) (819) (820) (821) (822) (823) (824) ... (16527) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: JohnBullMySon, lovewins, typicalgamer(m), koxyz, omotems and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.