Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,749 members, 7,875,875 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12001198 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8355) (8356) (8357) (8358) (8359) (8360) (8361) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:10am On Feb 27, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Gerard should not near Liverpool ,I trust people in charge of Liverpool board ,their eyes don open with the European success under klopp

If Gerard nears Liverpool they will go back to being bang average and back to their years of tears before the emergence of klopp

Gerrard is coming home !!
It has all been arranged since !

U don't have to worry yourself...the man is doing quite alright with Rangers !

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:29am On Feb 27, 2020
So happy for this man smiley

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:08am On Feb 27, 2020
Danielnino00:

Gerrard is coming home !!
It has all been arranged since !

U don't have to worry yourself...the man is doing quite alright with Rangers !

lol okay ,no wahala

Na here we go dey when you go go back to your days of tears ,you go dey carry 10th for table

because e dey do well for rangers abi ,lol ,u funny die

Blueelf will say it better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:17am On Feb 27, 2020
So pep guardiola has the highest win as a coach in the champions league knock out stage ,more than Ferguson and mourinho?

No wonder many people no like am grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:21am On Feb 27, 2020
Icon79:
Please can someone tell me what’s going on with Pep Guardiola today?

In arguably the biggest match of the year today, he decides to start without Aguero, Sterling, Silva, and Fernandinho.

Can somebody explain that

O pari

Sterling was just recovering from an hamstring injury

He didn’t start aguero so you can see starting Gabriel Jesus Laos off

Silva is being most times base on age

There is also a cup final against Aston villa in the weekend

Watch how Aston villa will be smashed grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 8:32am On Feb 27, 2020
andrewbaba44:

lol okay ,no wahala

Na here we go dey when you go go back to your days of tears ,you go dey carry 10th for table

because e dey do well for rangers abi ,lol ,u funny die

Blueelf will say it better

No mind am ooo. My hand no dey any average coach matter. Me, I will never be in support of average and sentimental English coaches

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 8:39am On Feb 27, 2020
forgiveness:

Which rape?

Have you forgotten how Chelsea beat dem in their own backyard to win the Champions league?
grin

Before yesterday match, Chelsea and Bayern Munich played 4 matches. We won twice and lost twice. Where dem wan rape?

The fact they even struggled against small boys and expired legs showed that Bayern is not good enough.

This is a wrong assertion sha. It's a UCL final, no one is at home.

Chelsea got 17500 tickets, same as what Bayern got. the real definition of "their own backyard" is next month's second leg, where you would be given just 1000 tickets. UCL final ticket allocation is very balanced sir, so no, nothing like their own backyard. Finals could have been played in Rome or Luzhniki for all anyone cares.

Also, na only Chelsea fans i see wey dey make mouth upon losing 3-0. It's a shame really instead of you to accept you L and move on, you're making excuses of small boys this, small boys that. that goes to show how defeated you guys already were before the game was played. You probably were expecting to be flogged 5+, but got only 3, so you still have "enu oro"

Someone flogged you 3-0, and you're saying "they struggled", you couldn't even score a goal in front of your own 35k fans(i'm pretty sure you didn't give Munich up to 1k tickets).

abeg make we hear word jare
angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 8:41am On Feb 27, 2020
Neobulletzz:
Not every coach had come to the EPL to win a major trophy in their first season. The ones that did, did that with being involved in transfer window

This is Klopp’s fourth season in England, he is yet to win any trophy in England despite been in the transfer since when he came, people didn’t shout for him to get sacked. The club stuck with him, gave him money and he made transfer, not until last season he completed the puzzle of his team where he signed Van Dijk and Alisson then they went to lift the Champions League, still yet to win a major trophy in England, it is taking him a whole four seasons to win a major trophy in England because obviously he is going to win it this season

Guardiola didn’t win anything in his first season when he came, not until the second season when he was backed with money to make transfers the second season

But one brother is already calling for the club to sack Lampard, someone yet to make a major transfer, because he is using what he could get his hands on, what is obviously available to him, he got no other choice yet person say he dey bias

You people with sentiments sha

I don't really like Lamp's bias tbh, but you're right. We all should chill for this season. Klopp, Pep and even Mou didn't win the league in their first season, neither will Ole
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:45am On Feb 27, 2020
Blueelf:

No mind am ooo. My hand no dey any average coach matter. Me, I will never be in support of average and sentimental English coaches

I hope Steven Gerard will deliver you an Epl trophy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:46am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

I don't really like Lamp's bias tbh, but you're right. We all should chill for this season. Klopp, Pep and even Mou didn't win the league in their first season, neither will Ole

Nobody was expecting lampard to win the league

He won’t win the league in his 2nd or even 3rd season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 9:12am On Feb 27, 2020
Mou won it in his first season

I don’t even rate Lampard yet, my fingers are still crossed on him but someone here is saying Lampard is bias, calling for his sack, a coach that haven’t completed one full season, haven’t done any major transfer due to the ban, the only option he has was to integrate the youth into the team

Man U spent millions. Tottenham have better players and a good coach in Pochetino compare to Chelsea yet Lampard is still in top 4 even without spending a dime since beginning of the season till now and someone want Lampard to be sacked already. What happen to giving him a full season, let him make transfer and see what he would do before you judge him

He could not buy players and yet you are complaining about him using the ones at his disposal, like what do you want him to do, that is what I don’t understand?

See if Lampard makes top 4 with that squad and the circumstances around him, he did a very good job this season
LaMujer:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 9:21am On Feb 27, 2020
Neobulletzz:
Mou won it in his first season

I don’t even rate Lampard yet, my fingers are still crossed on him but someone here is saying Lampard is bias, calling for his sack, a coach that haven’t completed one full season, haven’t done any major transfer due to the ban, the only option he has was to integrate the youth into the team

Man U spent millions. Tottenham have better players and a good coach in Pochetino compare to Chelsea yet Lampard is still in top 4 even without spending a dime since beginning of the season till now and someone want Lampard to be sacked already. What happen to giving him a full season, let him make transfer and see what he would do before you judge him

He could not buy players and yet you are complaining about him using the ones at his disposal, like what do you want him to do, that is what I don’t understand?

See if Lampard makes top 4 with that squad and the circumstances around him, he did a very good job this season

With United? nah. he didn't win the league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 9:24am On Feb 27, 2020
Mou won it with Chelsea in his first season
LaMujer:

With United? nah. he didn't win the league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 9:45am On Feb 27, 2020
Neobulletzz:
Mou won it with Chelsea in his first season

that was aeons ago. I was referring to recent seasons, hence, the managers i mentioned.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 9:46am On Feb 27, 2020
safarigirl:
their stupidity is our gain

Long may it continue

Dessers is another eye candy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:47am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

that was aeons ago. I was referring to recent seasons, hence, the managers i mentioned.

how about Conte
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 9:53am On Feb 27, 2020
I know it was seasons ago but he is among to few coaches to achieve that
LaMujer:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:03am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

Conte won the league in his first season ,without even purchasing players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 10:18am On Feb 27, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Conte won the league in his first season ,without even purchasing players
Humility017:

how about Conte

Ha! well, that's an aberration.

Even Greece won Euro's 2004

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 27, 2020
Wonderkid Bukayo Saka is making a serious claim to be in England’s Euro 2020 squad but Arsenal legend Perry Groves warns it may be too soon

By Oliver Dawnay
27th February 2020, 9:00 am

In what has been another turbulent season for Arsenal, a true gem has been unearthed in the shape of Bukayo Saka.

Despite being small and light on his feet, Saka has taken each game by the scruff of its neck and has become a crucial member in the Mikel Arteta revolution.

With each passing performance, the 18-year-old is turning more and more heads and, inevitably, there are now whispers he could be in contention for a place in England’s Euro 2020 squad.

Saka has dazzled for Arsenal this season
Saka produced another superb display on Sunday after coming on for the injured Sead Kolasinac during Arsenal’s 3-2 defeat of Everton.

Not only did he defend brilliantly, but he delivered arguably the best piece of quality in the match when he whipped a marvellous ball in for Eddie Nketiah to guide home.

His delivery was so good former Manchester United and England full-back Gary Neville was left purring at the piece of play.

“The quality of the cross was absolutely outstanding,” Neville said. “All you want is your striker in that position and he (Nketiah) is. He gets a good contact on it.

“It’s harsh to suggest Arsenal fans were happy that Sead Kolasinac went off but there was a bit of a cheer.

“What a cross from Saka. I was having a mundane chat because I thought nothing was on.”

It was Saka’s tenth assist in all competitions this term and he is now giving Gareth Southgate a genuine selection headache ahead of the tournament in June.

The question is – why shouldn’t he be considered?

Saka has shined under Arteta’s leadership
Yes, many youngsters have failed to live up to the hype in the past and a call-up at such a young age could be detrimental to his career, but at the moment he is undoubtedly outshining any other left-back in the country.

Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen shot to stardom when they were called up to international tournaments as teenagers – why can’t Saka?

As it stands, Leicester full-back Ben Chilwell is England’s current first choice, but he isn’t performing as well as he was earlier this season and he was torn to shreds by Riyad Mahrez in the Foxes’ 1-0 defeat to Man City at the weekend.

Danny Rose’s start to life at Newcastle has been underwhelming and the 29-year-old has not done enough to retain his place in the Three Lions’ squad, while Luke Shaw is another unconvincing option.

However, despite Saka’s superb breakthrough campaign, Arsenal legend Perry Groves believes a call-up for the Euro’s may come a little too soon as he is still adjusting to becoming an out-and-out left-back.

Ben Chilwell will be Southgate’s first choice left back
“I think the Euro’s is a bit too early for him.” Groves told talkSPORT.com. “He’s done brilliantly but realistically he is a wide player who has been asked to fill in at left-back.

“He’s adapted well. Going forward he’s excellent. His final ball is really good as we saw on Sunday for the goal he made for Nketiah.

“The only thing he needs to improve on is recovering the ball quicker because as he is not a full-back he often jogs back instead of sprinting back into his left-back position.”

Groves suggested there are at least three players ahead of the Gunners starlet in the pecking order, but revealed that people at the club have been hugely impressed with his faultless attitude and willingness to improve.

“He’s got competition with Ben Chilwell, Danny Rose and maybe Ryan Bertrand – who are more natural left-backs,” Groves added. “But he’s 18 and playing with no fear at the moment. As the team improves he’s getting better but I think realistically he will go with the Under-21s squad.”

“The next step for him is to play in Aidy Boothroyd’s squad and establish himself there but at the moment he’s not ready to make that step up.

“He’s actually learning his trade in a different position and you can’t have an England left-back who’s learning their trade. It’s not their natural position.

“But I’m lucky enough to talk to people at the club and everyone says his attitude is spot on.

“He’s a level-headed lad and has an eagerness to learn and he’s always asking the coaches for tips and that bodes well.”

https://talksport.com/football/674354/bukayo-saka-arsenal-gareth-southgates-england-euro-2020/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=talksportfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1582795159

We are gradually losing Bukayo Saka to England
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 5inchdick: 11:00am On Feb 27, 2020
ILLICITblood:
Wonderkid Bukayo Saka is making a serious claim to be in England’s Euro 2020 squad but Arsenal legend Perry Groves warns it may be too soon

By Oliver Dawnay
27th February 2020, 9:00 am

In what has been another turbulent season for Arsenal, a true gem has been unearthed in the shape of Bukayo Saka.

Despite being small and light on his feet, Saka has taken each game by the scruff of its neck and has become a crucial member in the Mikel Arteta revolution.

With each passing performance, the 18-year-old is turning more and more heads and, inevitably, there are now whispers he could be in contention for a place in England’s Euro 2020 squad.

Saka has dazzled for Arsenal this season
Saka produced another superb display on Sunday after coming on for the injured Sead Kolasinac during Arsenal’s 3-2 defeat of Everton.

Not only did he defend brilliantly, but he delivered arguably the best piece of quality in the match when he whipped a marvellous ball in for Eddie Nketiah to guide home.

His delivery was so good former Manchester United and England full-back Gary Neville was left purring at the piece of play.

“The quality of the cross was absolutely outstanding,” Neville said. “All you want is your striker in that position and he (Nketiah) is. He gets a good contact on it.

“It’s harsh to suggest Arsenal fans were happy that Sead Kolasinac went off but there was a bit of a cheer.

“What a cross from Saka. I was having a mundane chat because I thought nothing was on.”

It was Saka’s tenth assist in all competitions this term and he is now giving Gareth Southgate a genuine selection headache ahead of the tournament in June.

The question is – why shouldn’t he be considered?

Saka has shined under Arteta’s leadership
Yes, many youngsters have failed to live up to the hype in the past and a call-up at such a young age could be detrimental to his career, but at the moment he is undoubtedly outshining any other left-back in the country.

Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen shot to stardom when they were called up to international tournaments as teenagers – why can’t Saka?

As it stands, Leicester full-back Ben Chilwell is England’s current first choice, but he isn’t performing as well as he was earlier this season and he was torn to shreds by Riyad Mahrez in the Foxes’ 1-0 defeat to Man City at the weekend.

Danny Rose’s start to life at Newcastle has been underwhelming and the 29-year-old has not done enough to retain his place in the Three Lions’ squad, while Luke Shaw is another unconvincing option.

However, despite Saka’s superb breakthrough campaign, Arsenal legend Perry Groves believes a call-up for the Euro’s may come a little too soon as he is still adjusting to becoming an out-and-out left-back.

Ben Chilwell will be Southgate’s first choice left back
“I think the Euro’s is a bit too early for him.” Groves told talkSPORT.com. “He’s done brilliantly but realistically he is a wide player who has been asked to fill in at left-back.

“He’s adapted well. Going forward he’s excellent. His final ball is really good as we saw on Sunday for the goal he made for Nketiah.

“The only thing he needs to improve on is recovering the ball quicker because as he is not a full-back he often jogs back instead of sprinting back into his left-back position.”

Groves suggested there are at least three players ahead of the Gunners starlet in the pecking order, but revealed that people at the club have been hugely impressed with his faultless attitude and willingness to improve.

“He’s got competition with Ben Chilwell, Danny Rose and maybe Ryan Bertrand – who are more natural left-backs,” Groves added. “But he’s 18 and playing with no fear at the moment. As the team improves he’s getting better but I think realistically he will go with the Under-21s squad.”

“The next step for him is to play in Aidy Boothroyd’s squad and establish himself there but at the moment he’s not ready to make that step up.

“He’s actually learning his trade in a different position and you can’t have an England left-back who’s learning their trade. It’s not their natural position.

“But I’m lucky enough to talk to people at the club and everyone says his attitude is spot on.

“He’s a level-headed lad and has an eagerness to learn and he’s always asking the coaches for tips and that bodes well.”

https://talksport.com/football/674354/bukayo-saka-arsenal-gareth-southgates-england-euro-2020/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=talksportfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1582795159

The appropriate thing to say would be "We've lost Saka to England. "
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 11:03am On Feb 27, 2020
ILLICITblood:

lol, anybody that thinks we'd get Saka is dreaming. Unless he gets someone like Okocha did with Iwobi for us, he's gone(not going)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:04am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

Chelsea got 17500 tickets, same as what Bayern got. the real definition of "their own backyard" is next month's second leg, where you would be given just 1000 tickets. UCL final ticket allocation is very balanced sir, so no, nothing like their own backyard. Finals could have been played in Rome or Luzhniki for all anyone cares.

Also, na only Chelsea fans i see wey dey make mouth upon losing 3-0. It's a shame really instead of you to accept you L and move on, you're making excuses of small boys this, small boys that. that goes to show how defeated you guys already were before the game was played. You probably were expecting to be flogged 5+, but got only 3, so you still have "enu oro"

Someone flogged you 3-0, and you're saying "they struggled", you couldn't even score a goal in front of your own 35k fans(i'm pretty sure you didn't give Munich up to 1k tickets).

angry angry angry

It was the first Champions League final to be held at the Allianz Arena (known as Fußball Arena München for the final). As tenants of the Arena, this meant Bayern were the first finalists to have home advantage since 1984

Take note of the home advantage.. home advantage... home advantage.... but Chelsea still beat dem 4 dem backyard. Abi na frontyard!? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The rest you wrote no concern me. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 11:09am On Feb 27, 2020
forgiveness:

It was the first Champions League final to be held at the Allianz Arena (known as Fußball Arena München for the final). As tenants of the Arena, this meant Bayern were the first finalists to have home advantage since 1984

Take note of the home advantage.. home advantage... home advantage.... but Chelsea still beat dem 4 dem backyard. Abi na frontyard!? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The rest you wrote no concern me. grin

lol, what is home advantage when you have only half capacity of your fans? If Munich fans try to shout, London fans would fire theirs too, and no one would really outshine the other

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:14am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

lol, what is home advantage when you have only half capacity of your fans? If Munich fans try to shout, London fans would fire theirs too, and no one would really outshine the other

*Yimu* I hear but na for dem backyard dem beat Bayern Munich. Abi I lie? grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:17am On Feb 27, 2020
andrewbaba44:
So pep guardiola has the highest win as a coach in the champions league knock out stage ,more than Ferguson and mourinho?

No wonder many people no like am grin
His Achilles heels have always been playing against the big boys, but it seems he has learnt his lesson as they majorly played on the counter yesterday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:18am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

angry angry angry
Chelsea dey find away goal for their own stadium grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:19am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

He did sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:21am On Feb 27, 2020
LaMujer:

Ha! well, that's an aberration.

Even Greece won Euro's 2004
Huh? Aberration? Conte is a very brilliant coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:26am On Feb 27, 2020
jihday:
Huh? Aberration? Conte is a very brilliant coach

thats why I pity juventus for opting for Sarri instead of Conte.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:37am On Feb 27, 2020
Cyriel Dessers: What could Eredivisie star offer the Super Eagles?
By Solace Chukwu

Currently sitting atop the Dutch scoring charts, the 25-year-old provides an intriguing option in attack for the Nigeria national team

What’s that thing they say about buses and ketchup? You shake and you wait for an age, and then comes a glut.

It seemed, following Odion Ighalo’s retirement announcement in the aftermath of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, that Nigeria was set for a fallow period upfront.
The Manchester United man (that takes some getting used to still) himself had to weather quite a bit of public scepticism to lead the line for the Super Eagles, and his Golden Boot turn at the Afcon served as the perfect mic drop moment, a final riposte to the critics that so mercilessly maligned him.

Where then was reprieve to come from?

Victor Osimhen, who had gone into the tournament as his understudy, played one half of football in Egypt, and despite the excitement that had accompanied the decision to name him in the squad, offered little to indicate he was ready to have the torch passed to him.

Since then, he has thankfully made a quantum leap, rising to the occasion and fronting the Super Eagles attack with aplomb while hitting double figures for goals for Ligue 1 side LOSC Lille. However, even beyond his own maturation, there have arisen a couple of different options, from Bordeaux’s Josh Maja to (latterly) a reborn Kelechi Iheanacho.

The latest, and most intriguing, is 25-year-old Cyriel Dessers, who holds Belgian citizenship but is eligible for Nigeria through his mother, and who is presently atop the scoring charts in the Eredivisie.

The Heracles Almelo striker has made no secret of his desire to play for the Super Eagles, and according to reports now holds a Nigerian passport. That makes him eligible for selection for March’s 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Sierra Leone, should coach Gernot Rohr elect to invite him.

There can be no arguing he does not deserve it: over 24 appearances this season, he is averaging 0.63 goals a game, a better ratio than either of Osimhen or Iheanacho, and at the weekend he proved his ability to decide big games, slamming home a finish against giants Ajax to prune their lead at the top of the league table to three points.

While it is perfectly justifiable to be wary of the overall quality of the Eredivisie, this season has marked an undeniable improvement for Dessers, who joined Heracles last summer.

That move came at the prodding of Nigerian officials – they were impressed by his enthusiasm for an international career in green and white, but were also concerned at his lack of game time at Utrecht, where he only managed three starts last season.

It was quite the comedown for a player who, three years ago, caused a stir in the Dutch Eerste Divisie, scoring 22 goals for NAC Breda to help them gain promotion. That earned him a move to Utrecht, but he struggled within a team culture that, according to him, was more star-driven.

“There was more of a hierarchy,” he told Voetbal International. “Everyone was looking for a place on the ladder.”

Eventually, an unorthodox arrangement set him free; Heracles sent striker Adrian Dalmau to Utrecht, and got Dessers in return.

In Almelo, he has found a good lease of life, and enjoys the confidence of boss Frank Wormuth, who lets him run a little less, allowing him to concentrate his energies on movement in the final third. He has also encouraged a more instinctual style of finishing – according to Dessers, the German manager has urged him to “not think too much, especially in the penalty area.”

However, while his winner against Ajax seemed very route-one, there was some deliberation to it. Dessers, while not the tallest, recognized his physical advantage over Daley Blind in the heart of the Ajax defence, and played on it to break the deadlock.

“I told him (goalkeeper Janis Blaswich) to play the ball to the right, and he listened,” he said of the goal afterwards.

That is what the Super Eagles would be getting: a player well aware of his strengths, and unabashed in his exploitation of them. Not the quickest, Dessers does still possess decent pace, and puts himself about physically to unbalance defenders, often subtly leaning into them on jumps or holding them off with his upper-body strength.

Technically, he also offers the benefit of being comfortable shooting off either foot: of his 15 goals so far, he has scored nine with his right foot and six with his left, which is an equitable split.

It will be interesting to see how he is utilized if he eventually gets the call-up he undoubtedly deserves. While the methods differ, he and Osimhen broadly seek to do the same things, even though the Lille man has developed his link-up play a great deal this season. That would make the prospect of a partnership less than ideal, and ultimately should mean Osimhen keeps his place as the starting striker.

However, as a stand-in, Dessers offers the closest approximation of what the Lille star gives the Super Eagles in terms of occupying defenders and turning chances into shots quickly. That makes him valuable as an option within a set-up that, since the Afcon, has developed greater cohesion collectively through players understanding their individual roles.

Source: Goal

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:42am On Feb 27, 2020
The return of Leon Balogun to action and his strong performance yesterday shows why he is still relevant to the Super Eagles fold for now.

The Valid CB options we've got right now with the Return to Top action and Top form of Leon for Wigan are as follows:

- William Troost Ekong
- Leon Balogun
- Kenneth Omeruo
- Semi Ajayi
- Chidozie Awaziem (who also deputises for now, at RB)

Five solid options. All Starters. We can only get better.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8355) (8356) (8357) (8358) (8359) (8360) (8361) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: immobilare(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.