Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,764 members, 7,875,923 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:07 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9308) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12001849 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9305) (9306) (9307) (9308) (9309) (9310) (9311) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:00pm On Aug 20, 2020
forgiveness:

Dey deceive yourself. Overload ko overlose ni
Lolz.. that is the truth bro. WE MOVE

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:02pm On Aug 20, 2020
Exactly why I had a quick search done in anticipation of this. wink

Below is Bleacher report's expert opinion on why Mikel should have been named the Afcon 2013 player of the tournament. Even before the final, they wrote a few articles stating Mikel's importance and predicting he will come big in the final. Well, they got it right. Mikel was the Final MVP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1524167-why-john-obi-mikel-should-have-been-named-afcon-mvp.amp.html

The last part of the article link above said this below:

As a result, we saw a player we’ve only seen in patches during his time at Chelsea. Robust in a defensive role in front of the back four and imperious on the ball and in his movement, Mikel was the best midfielder on the park in every match he played. That Nigeria so fully deserved their quarterfinal win over Ivory Coast was largely down to him; that the Nigerian attackers had a platform from which to demolish Mali was largely down to him.

That the centre of the park was shut to Burkina Faso’s passing was largely down to him, and Nigeria won the tournament’s showcase match because of it.

There was an array of stars at the 2013 Cup of Nations, and Pitroipa was certainly among them. But Mikel was a supernova. And when he shone, the stars disappeared.

forgiveness:

I am oblivion to the bolded though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2020
Danielnino00:

Moses has 6 assists in 26 games..
Simon had 8 in 30 ..

Okay
..It means he had d highest assist dis year cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 9:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
forgiveness:

But Moses won Samsung fair player of the whole tournament. I don't think Mikel was suppose to win the player of the tournament.

Anyway, from my own perspective, I think Victor Moses was the reason we won that cup. That's my own opinion.

Moses was the reason we won??

If victor Moses was that important why was Mikel nominated for African player of the year for that year and Moses was overlooked (despite the fact that they both won the Afcon and Europa league that year)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
forgiveness:

But Moses won Samsung fair player of the whole tournament. I don't think Mikel was suppose to win the player of the tournament.

Anyway, from my own perspective, I think Victor Moses was the reason we won that cup. That's my own opinion.

To : He was a major part we won the Afcon

To : I think Victor Moses was the reason we won the Afcon grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 9:09pm On Aug 20, 2020
grin
Subzero047:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 9:13pm On Aug 20, 2020
Subzero047:

Lmao

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:17pm On Aug 20, 2020
Subzero047:

cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:52pm On Aug 20, 2020
IDENNAA:

Omeruo was our best defender at the last afcon.
If he can get a club and keep form he can fight for a place with Ajayi , Ekong and Balogun. Balogun , however , might not make it due to recurring injury problems.

That simply is not true he was at best average and quite poor in several games in particular the Cameroon game. Where both goals scored by Cameroon are attributed to his poor quality.

In actual fact the best defender was Ola Aina who played less games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:58pm On Aug 20, 2020
Philosopher1979:

In my opinion, i prefer Victor Osimhen. Osimhen is more mobile and agile and his off
the ball work is better. He is also more involved in build up.
Ighalo cannot function without a midfield while Osimhen can still function without a midfield
Osimhen's pressing is also better (Check out his goal against Valencia. It was not even a pass from his player but a wrong pass from the opposing team).
Most coaches will prefer Osimhen because of his hard working all action style.
Ighalo is still a good player though

If it comes to playing the intense physical football of the AFCON my first preference will be Ighalo.

Osimhen has limited technical ability and doesn't have the trickery of Ighalo and definitely not his physicality. However, he is faster which is his main attribute.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:01pm On Aug 20, 2020
Edopesin:

So which big team has he gone to now?

That's the same way we hear big teams like Liverpool, Atletico, Valencia and even Barcelona want Chukwueze isn't it?

We hear and actual offer are two completely different things.

We heard Dessers was wanted by Arsenal where us he now ? We heard Moses Simon was wanted by Liverpool, where is he now??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:04pm On Aug 20, 2020
Danielnino00:

Help me ask him o...
He wants us to get Saka..he also want us to recall Moses..

What the hell is that?

We have a lot of talented players with huge potentials that we need to invite to the team,but some people want us to recall retired players..
How can we now progress?
What special thing did the retired players contribute?

Potential is talent yet to be realised.

When their outstanding talent produces fruit we shall call them not before and by speculation.

Progression in football is the HERE and NOW players who are perfoming NOW.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:05pm On Aug 20, 2020
forgiveness:

Nobody is begging but if they come back from retirement I will welcome them back with an open hands. grin

Agreed without reservation

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
Olulong:

Who asked them to retire?? Nobody

Will England beg Vardy out of retirement just because he's the PL highest go scorer?? No

Why?? Because nobody is bigger than the national team. If anybody decides to retire let him retire in peace. I'm tired of all this talk of begging retired players.

Agreed but there is one small issue you opted not to mention, WE ARE NOT ENGLAND.

With multiple options in the forward positions.

Apart from Victor Osimhen yet to be proven in a more competitive league. Who else is there.

Ighalo is tried and tested and PROVEN in the EPL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:11pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

Agreed but there is one small issue you opted not to mention, WE ARE NOT ENGLAND.

Available options**
1) Osimhen
2) Iheanacho
3) Simon
4) Chukwueze
5) Kalu
6) Onyekuru
7) Musa
cool Onauchu
9) Dessers
10) Umar
11) Nwaekeme
12) Ejuke
13) Iwobi
14) Kayode

Up for grabs**

15) Saka
16) Eze

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:12pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

When their outstanding talent produces fruit we shall call them not before and by speculation.

Was Moses himself proven before Keshi have him his national team debut?

Why didn't Keshi wait for him to ripen before dropping Osaze,Martins,Utaka,the Uche brothers, etc for him??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:13pm On Aug 20, 2020
Utonwanne:

So far, Osimhen has been good , his early days is better than that of Ighalo.

Talent, skill and SE style, Osimhen is better.

Here and Now too, Osimhen is better.

Ighalo should enjoy his pension

Assumptive delusion based on sentimental preference.

Osimhen is not more skilful and or technically astute than Ighalo. Victor main attribute is pace.

Victor has not completed two seasons of first team competitive football. So there are many lessons to learn his early good start does not guarantee top quality perfomance in the future.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:16pm On Aug 20, 2020
mostob:
o boy...this vicmo argument funny die.
Pls...NFF and Rohr should allow Ighalo and vicmo retire in peace. We are still trying to squeeze in Ejuke and Henry, na those old cargoes we go recall? In fact,Musa's spot in the team is being threatened.
Ighalo and vicmo have paid their dues. We move on.
Those shouting experience yen yen yen...experience in football nowadays is loosing its value.
How old are Mbappe,Sancho,Saka,Haaland,Trent yet these guys are putting up excellent performance.

None of our players are comparable to these players so why make the comparison.

Until these young pretenders can get to the levels of performance and attainment if Ighalo and VM there is no competition.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:17pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

If it comes to playing the intense physical football of the AFCON my first preference will be Ighalo.

Osimhen has limited technical ability and doesn't have the trickery of Ighalo and definitely not his physicality. However, he is faster which is his main attribute.

Bros Ighalo and vic Moses have paid their dues and should move on. And who told you osimhen is not technically sound? Kid is still work in progress and won't turn world class overnight but so far he is well positioned talent wise to spearhead the attack of this current super eagles.

Behind osimhen we still have dessers, Iheanacho, Maja, Onuachu, Nwankwo and even Moffi. Any of these guys can be called upon to be worthy back up to osimhen who is the undisputed first choice currently in the team.

I am a big fan of iggy but it will be ill advised for him to return to the team

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 10:18pm On Aug 20, 2020
IDENNAA:

Why do you always do this, deviate from the topic whenever you are connered. Moses has being very luck to be honest. Nigga is average and thats me being really nice.

Jamb question!!

As if you don't know the person you're arguing with.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

Until these young pretenders can get to the levels of performance and attainment if Ighalo and VM there is no competition.

Vic Moses is way behind his best and can only be used as a rb I he returns to the team. Even currently in the rb position the team Doesn't lack decent players.

Him and Ighalo should move on

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:24pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

Apart from Victor Osimhen yet to be proven in a more competitive league. Who else is there.

Ighalo is tried and tested and PROVEN in the EPL.
K

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 10:24pm On Aug 20, 2020
kellycute:
well ighalo is not a proven goal scorer for super eagles. He messed up Naija at Russia 2018 world cup

Ighalo's mess up didn't start with the Russia WC. E Don tey!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:25pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

Ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 10:26pm On Aug 20, 2020
The disrespect to VICMO is quite astonishing on this platform.
Giving some folks praise mediocre players like Nwakali, Iheanacho, Iwobi to high heaven on this same platform. Wow!

At Afcon 2013, we were absolutely abysmal in our first two games which we drew.
Our last game against Ethiopia was a must-win but again we were shambolic until Vicmo came into the game after overcoming the injury that sidelined him from the first 2 matches and took the game by the scruff of the neck causing and scoring two penalties to win the game for us.

Without VICMO's contribution, we would have been out in the first round.Against Ivory Coast, we were camped in our half until VICMO took the game to the Ivorians cutting in from the left and unleashing a ferocious shot that Bari managed to save. He kept marauding the Ivorians defense thereby boosting the confidence of the other players.

Against Mali, what more can I say? A career-ending superb dribbling to set up Echiejele for the first goal. He was the Malians tormentor in Chief. In the final, it was his movement, dribbling, and shot that led to Mba's goal that won us the cup. Put respect on VICMO. He also single-handedly took us to the 2018 world cup. Against Algeria and Cameroon, he was unplayable. Our single win against Iceland started with that sumptuous pass from VICMO to Ahmed Musa.

Give a fucking respect to the legend, VICMO!
With VICMO we would have won the last Cup of Nations.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 10:29pm On Aug 20, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Felix Ohis Uduokhai (FC Augsburg) scored his side's second goal in extra time on 101 mins as they triumphed 4-1 over Turkgucu Munchen in a preseason friendly. The game lasted 120mins. It was 1-1 at 90mins.

Is Bazee injured again?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 10:32pm On Aug 20, 2020
forgiveness:

I will prefer a player that singlehandedly won Afcon, Europa and Epl over a prospect.

Single-handedly retired too. Doesn't this qualify as folly - you picking him over the talents we currently have on ground?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
fabyom:
The disrespect to VICMO is quite astonishing on this platform.
Giving some folks praise mediocre players like Nwakali, Iheanacho, Iwobi to high heaven on this same platform. Wow!

At Afcon 2013, we were absolutely abysmal in our first two games which we drew.
Our last game against Ethiopia was a must-win but again we were shambolic until Vicmo came into the game after overcoming the injury that sidelined him from the first 2 matches and took the game by the scruff of the neck causing and scoring two penalties to win the game for us.

Without VICMO's contribution, we would have been out in the first round.Against Ivory Coast, we were camped in our half until VICMO took the game to the Ivorians cutting in from the left and unleashing a ferocious shot that Bari managed to save. He kept marauding the Ivorians defense thereby boosting the confidence of the other players.

Against Mali, what more can I say? A career-ending superb dribbling to set up Echiejele for the first goal. He was the Malians tormentor in Chief. In the final, it was his movement, dribbling, and shot that led to Mba's goal that won us the cup. Put respect on VICMO. He also single-handedly took us to the 2018 world cup. Against Algeria and Cameroon, he was unplayable. Our single win against Iceland started with that sumptuous pass from VICMO to Ahmed Musa.

Give a fucking respect to the legend, VICMO!
With VICMO we would have won the last Cup of Nations.
oga that was 2013 and you forgot to admit the fact that we re in 2020 and also Vic MO is not as good as he was

At a time players like Zidane, Ronaldo lima, Figo, Beckham, del pierro, Totti etc all retired from their various national team allowing younger players to carry on from where they left. Even when our own Jay Jay retired we still moved on so I see no reason we should be clamouring for the return of Moses and Ighalo when we are blessed with talented young players in top leagues in Europe doing decently well.

I am a big fan of Moses and felt bad when he retired unexpectedly but sentiment aside he is not better than what we boast of in the flanks recently. I will never pick Moses ahead of chukwueze, Simon or even kalu based on current form and stat. It doesn't make sense recalling a player who is not even at his best and almost clocking 30 when we have younger players in their early 20s who re performing far better

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

You keep contradicting your self in the process of proving the nonsense you always want to make sense of

What is here and now?

This season

And this season Chukwueze, Moses Simon,Osimhen,Dessers and Emmanuel Dennis all have better stats than the so called players who are performing now.

I'm expecting you to come with your tested and trusted nonsense to counter me

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 10:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
IDENNAA:

I look Tomori finish laugh jjst dey catch me... Tomori is not better than what we have....bye boy!

Tears, it all would be for that lad.

We wanted doing him a favor, it appears he never deserved it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:39pm On Aug 20, 2020
komekn:

Individual accolades of a pretender(add Ligue 1 team of the season) at 21

Individual accolades of tested and trusted at 31

I rest my case

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:40pm On Aug 20, 2020
charlesemeka85:
oga that was 2013 and you forgot to admit the fact that we re in 2020 and also Vic MO is not as good as he was

At a time players like Zidane, Ronaldo lima, Figo, Beckham, del pierro, Totti etc all retired from their various national team allowing younger players to carry on from where they left. Even when our own Jay Jay retired we still moved on so I see no reason we should be clamouring for the return of Moses and Ighalo when we are blessed with talented young players in top leagues in Europe doing decently well.

I am a big fan of Moses and felt bad when he retired unexpectedly but sentiment aside he is not better than what we boast of in the flanks recently. I will never pick Moses ahead of chukwueze, Simon or even kalu based on current form and stat. It doesn't make sense recalling a player who is not even at his best and almost clocking 30 when we have younger players in their early 20s who re performing far better

It seems like majority of the people who want Moses and Ighalo back are saying it out of sentiments...
Because I still can't see what they have to offer that our present corp of players can't...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9305) (9306) (9307) (9308) (9309) (9310) (9311) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lovewins and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.