Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,968 members, 7,876,676 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 12:19 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (945) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12008033 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:37pm On May 18, 2017
Watford winger Isaac Success labels Manchester City's Kelechi Iheanacho as the best he's played with

By Hertfordshire Mercury | Posted: May 17, 2017

By Matt Storey

HIGH PRAISE: Isaac Success believes Iheanacho is the best he's played with

Watford winger Isaac Success believes Manchester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho is the best footballer he has played with.

The duo played together in Nigeria's youth teams and have now both broken into the Super Eagles' senior squad.

Despite the high praise, Success believes the 20-year-old's best position is as the support striker, not the number nine type role he's been used in more often at City.

"I have played in Spain, I am playing here (England) now but I haven't had the chance to play with a lot of teams here," Success told SuperSport.

Read more: Transfer talk: Newcastle and Crystal Palace join Watford in race for Greek keeper

"In general the best player I have played with is Kelechi, the partnership was just superb. It was just so good.

"You can enjoy Kelechi more as a support striker because he is a creative player and a player that can make a difference anytime with assists or clear chances that he can always covert. You can't take that from him."

Iheanacho, like Success at Watford, has struggled for regular games this year and reports suggest he could leave the club this summer.

Read more at http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/watford-winger-isaac-success-labels-manchester-city-s-kelechi-iheanacho-as-the-best-he-s-played-with/story-30337701-detail/story.html#ikxt37e0HsRgffWb.99

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 1:44pm On May 18, 2017
Icon4s:

Let Onyekuru start playing for West Ham and let us start the 'real' counting.
why single-out Onyekuru, we should have waited for kayode to move to a better club before the "real" counting or Odey move to zamalek before "real" counting. Henry has done enough to prove he's better to some invited SE players. A 19yr old scoring 21goals in his first season for a lowly rated club and some want us to look down on those goal because to them it was "fake" counting.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:49pm On May 18, 2017
zicky:
why single-out Onyekuru, we should have waited for kayode to move to a better club before the "real" counting or Odey move to zamalek before "real" counting. Henry has done enough to prove he's better to some invited SE players. A 19yr old scoring 21goals in his first season for a lowly rated club and some want us to look down on those goal because to them it was "fake" counting.

I singled Onyekuru out because I see him as a better prospect than the other two.

I am just anxious to see him in a more competitive league. That's it.

It is not even an issue of him being invited cos I have also clamoured for his inclusion in the Super Eagles.

I just want to see him on the same plane level field with young wingers like Iwobi and Success.
And let's do the analyses and counting

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:08pm On May 18, 2017
The speculations list keeps growing people.......

Clubs linked to Iheanacho right now are as follows:

- Borussia Dortmund

- TSG Hoffenheim

- Southampton FC

- Everton FC

- And wait for it.......

West Ham Utd!!!! shocked

Na wa oooo!

Sources: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/kelechi-iheanacho-joins-michy-batshuayi-and-jermain-defoe-on-west-ham-s-transfer-wishlist-a3542276.html

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/18/report-west-ham-united-want-manchester-citys-kelechi-iheanacho/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:18pm On May 18, 2017
Bros, this your proposed frontline wets my appetite, yo!

Onyekuru-Iheanacho-V.Moses with Iwobi

On a good day, that frontline can destroy any defenceline in the world....including the current Juve's defence!

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

Onyekuru-Iheanacho-V.Moses with Iwobi.... may just be Nigeria's front line/attack in the near future.... or could it be Onyekuru-Tammy-V.Moses with Iheanacho/Iwobi??.... well shaa.... time will tell.

But again... Welcome Henry Chukwuemeka Onyekuru AKA "The Evil Kid " smiley

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:21pm On May 18, 2017
Icon4s:

I singled Onyekuru out because I see him as a better prospect than the other two.

I am just anxious to see him in a more competitive league. That's it.

It is not even an issue of him being invited cos I have also clamoured for his inclusion in the Super Eagles.

I just want to see him on the same plane level field with young wingers like Iwobi and Success.
And let's do the analyses and counting
ok bruvn I gat you, I just feel most sports analysts are not hyping the guy because he didn't play for any of our youth teams
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:25pm On May 18, 2017
And if you ask me, I will advise him to chose Everton. Ronald Koeman is a very good coach. He, Antonio Conte, and Mauricio Pochettino are the best coaches in the EPL. If Nacho becomes the top striker at Everton (word on the street is that Lukaku is going back to Chelsea), then expect him to score 20+ goals next season.

And Borussia Dortmund would be my second choice.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:
The speculations list keeps growing people.......

Clubs linked to Iheanacho right now are as follows:

- Borussia Dortmund

- TSG Hoffenheim

- Southampton FC

- Everton FC

- And wait for it.......

West Ham Utd!!!! shocked

Na wa oooo!

Sources: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/kelechi-iheanacho-joins-michy-batshuayi-and-jermain-defoe-on-west-ham-s-transfer-wishlist-a3542276.html

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/18/report-west-ham-united-want-manchester-citys-kelechi-iheanacho/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:28pm On May 18, 2017
I totally agree with Success. That's why I still can't understand why/how Pep Guardiola didn't want to play Kelechi with Aguero. It doesn't take a genius to know that Kelechi's best position is playing behind the out and out striker. But he can play as a top striker too.

Anywhere you play him, he will definitely get goals for you.

O pari

BascoVanVeli:
Watford winger Isaac Success labels Manchester City's Kelechi Iheanacho as the best he's played with

By Hertfordshire Mercury | Posted: May 17, 2017

By Matt Storey

HIGH PRAISE: Isaac Success believes Iheanacho is the best he's played with

Watford winger Isaac Success believes Manchester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho is the best footballer he has played with.

The duo played together in Nigeria's youth teams and have now both broken into the Super Eagles' senior squad.

Despite the high praise, Success believes the 20-year-old's best position is as the support striker, not the number nine type role he's been used in more often at City.

"I have played in Spain, I am playing here (England) now but I haven't had the chance to play with a lot of teams here," Success told SuperSport.

Read more: Transfer talk: Newcastle and Crystal Palace join Watford in race for Greek keeper

"In general the best player I have played with is Kelechi, the partnership was just superb. It was just so good.

"You can enjoy Kelechi more as a support striker because he is a creative player and a player that can make a difference anytime with assists or clear chances that he can always covert. You can't take that from him."

Iheanacho, like Success at Watford, has struggled for regular games this year and reports suggest he could leave the club this summer.

Read more at http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/watford-winger-isaac-success-labels-manchester-city-s-kelechi-iheanacho-as-the-best-he-s-played-with/story-30337701-detail/story.html#ikxt37e0HsRgffWb.99

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 4:36pm On May 18, 2017
I like the idea of front three of
Onyekuru-iheanacho-moses

Alot of pace

And middle of
Iwobi (amf) - ndidi (dmf) - mikel (cmf)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 18, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 4:59pm On May 18, 2017
AllforJesus7:

I have watched his highlights. Nothing special. Onyekuru is not a good crosser of the ball. He just loves to run at the wings and dribble into a cul-de-sac and he does not like to pass. Nothing to justify walking straight into our starting line up.

Now remember he is still playing with back water defenders. The game is different with established leagues and defenders where he must be able to keep his head up and give cool passes/crosses to beat defenders and have a technical link up play. Otherwise he may end up as another Imoh Ezekiel or Musa.

I'll stick with the.....

Iwobi Iheanacho V. Moses

Mikel
Ndidi Onazi

starting line up.

But I do feel that Iwobi is a better 10 than a 7. So if someone better than henry can take up that 7, fine
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 5:01pm On May 18, 2017
AllforJesus7:

I have watched his highlights. Nothing special. Onyekuru is not a good crosser of the ball. He just loves to run at the wings and dribble into a cul-de-sac and he does not like to pass. Nothing to justify walking straight into our starting line up.

I see why Rohr prefers a highly technical scorer, passer and player (Osimen) over him.

Now remember he is still playing with back water defenders. The game is different with established leagues and defenders where he must be able to keep his head up and give cool passes/crosses to beat defenders and have a technical link up play. Otherwise he may end up as another Imoh Ezekiel or Musa.

I'll stick with the.....

Iwobi Iheanacho V. Moses

Mikel
Ndidi Onazi

starting line up.

You are very correct.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 18, 2017
EmmGee:

But I do feel that Iwobi is a better 10 than a 7. So if someone better than henry can take up that 7, fine

For now I feel Iwobi is not physical enough to handle the no.10 role for our upcoming games. Mikel should play that role while Iwobi sticks to the wing.

With time (prolly before the WC next year) Iwobi should have gotten more built and physique to handle that role better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:03pm On May 18, 2017
AllforJesus7:

I'll stick with the.....

Iwobi Iheanacho V. Moses

Mikel
Ndidi Onazi

starting line up.

bros abeg cool down and watch that highlight again or try and watch his full match, then come and explain what you just wrote.

And imoh ezekiel was never a flop he choose money over his carreer i believe you watched him at the olympics in brazil
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:09pm On May 18, 2017
Abdullahi Alfa won the cup in Latvia..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:12pm On May 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
is he a striker?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
What do you think about Oyekuru's final ball. Crossing and passes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:14pm On May 18, 2017
Icon4s:

Well then.
We are watching in 6D.
sir you want kill me with your punchline
LOL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:24pm On May 18, 2017
maidaboi:
is he a striker?

Midfielder..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:26pm On May 18, 2017
bataderemi:

What do you think about Oyekuru's final ball. Crossing and passes

He plays a lot like an inside forward and does not cross the ball much. He has an eye for a pass but can also be selfish with the ball.

His major strengths are his movement, speed and quick feet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:43pm On May 18, 2017
AllforJesus7:

I see why Rohr prefers a highly technical scorer, passer and player (Osimen) over him.

I'll stick with the.....

Iwobi Iheanacho V. Moses

Mikel
Ndidi Onazi

starting line up.

I do not see how anyone can prefer an unproven forward to a proven one.

At least Onyekuru has successfully played against defenders in a professional league, the Belgian league is one of the best in Europe, so I don't know how you can refer to them as 'backwater' defenders.

Osimhen on the other hand only has experience at age grade level, he is yet to face backwater defenders sef, just because he's in Germany doesn't make him better than Onyekuru for now, bear in mind, Onyekuru is just a year older.

If you must compare him, why don't you do so against the likes of Moses Simon who plays against the same 'backwater defenders', but still doesn't have 23 goals to his name?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:49pm On May 18, 2017
Icon79:
And if you ask me, I will advise him to chose Everton. Ronald Koeman is a very good coach. He, Antonio Conte, and Mauricio Pochettino are the best coaches in the EPL. If Nacho becomes the top striker at Everton (word on the street is that Lukaku is going back to Chelsea), then expect him to score 20+ goals next season.

And Borussia Dortmund would be my second choice.

O pari

exactly my thought
I pray the Young man take the right step
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:56pm On May 18, 2017
Alfa Abdullahi...... technically gifted deeplying playmaker, CMF/DMF hybrid.

Wore no.8 in the super U-17 Class of 2013 at UAE. smiley

His kit/outfit was bigger than him sef..... cheesy

Was also at Senegal 2015 but was mostly on the bench.

Good to know he just won his first senior title in professional soccer.

I think his club is Ventspils right? Will have to re-check that... working with info from a few months back.

Hopes he can move to a better league with time.

Congrats Alfa. wink

tbaba1234:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:04pm On May 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

He plays a lot like an inside forward and does not cross the ball much. He has an eye for a pass but can also be selfish with the ball.

He plays like Moses when he was a right winger. In the Eagles, Moses doesn't cross. If he keeps up this performance, he might likely be better than Moses. He adds a lot of goals to his game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:08pm On May 18, 2017
tbaba1234:

the few times you saw him crossing where they good?

And does he makes too many bad passes in a match?

Thank you sir you have been a source of information in this thread

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:44pm On May 18, 2017
maidaboi:
the few times you saw him crossing where they good?

And does he makes too many bad passes in a match?

Thank you sir you have been a source of information in this thread

He does not cross much so it is difficult to assess. Even though, he plays on the left, he always cuts infield.

Passing is normal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:48pm On May 18, 2017
Good news, just heard that the Nff has contacted Onyekuru to join the Super Eagles Camp in France.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:49pm On May 18, 2017
joseph1013:

He plays like Moses when he was a right winger. In the Eagles, Moses doesn't cross. If he keeps up this performance, he might likely be better than Moses. He adds a lot of goals to his game.

Perfect comparison.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:50pm On May 18, 2017
Icon79:
I totally agree with Success. That's why I still can't understand why/how Pep Guardiola didn't want to play Kelechi with Aguero. It doesn't take a genius to know that Kelechi's best position is playing behind the out and out striker. But he can play as a top striker too.

Anywhere you play him, he will definitely get goals for you.

O pari

Let us be realistic, if you are a coach, will you play Nacho ahead of Gabriel Jesus?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:56pm On May 18, 2017
Onyekuru replaces Kayode as NFF confirms Corsica, Togo friendlies

KAS Eupen striker Henry Onyekuru has finally been given a look in Super Eagles Technical Adviser as he has made a reviewed list of players invited for friendlies against Corsica and the Sparrow Hawks of Togo just confirmed by the Nigeria Football Federation.

Henry Onyekuru was called on in place of Austria Wien FC poacher Olanrewaju Kayode, who is being held back by club engagement.

The petit striker has scored 23 goals in all competitions this term in Belgium for his modest side and is arguably the hottest Nigerian scoring machine in Europe and has been scouted recently by Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr.

Meanwhile the Nigeria Football Federation has confirmed that the Super Eagles will play two international friendly matches, against the Senior National Teams of Corsica and Togo respectively, before the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa in Uyo next month.

hief Coach Salisu Yusuf will lead a contingent of goalkeepers trainer Alloy Agu, home –based professionals Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Alhassan Ibrahim, Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatubosun and backroom staff to Paris on 22nd May, from where they will travel to Corsica.

The three –time African champions will take on the Corsica Senior Team at the Stade Francois Coty in Ajaccio starting from 8pmon Friday, 26th May, and then travel to Paris for the game against the Hawks of Togo.

The match against the Hawks has been scheduled for the Stade Municipal de Saint Leu La Foret, Paris on Thursday, 1st June 2017, starting from 7.30pm.

The Super Eagles will tackle South Africa in the opening match of Group E of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying race at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo.

THE FULL LIST

Goalkeepers: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah); Dele Alampasu (Cesarense FC, Portugal)

Defenders: Leon Balogun (FSV Mainz 05, Germany); William Ekong (KAA Gent, Belgium); Uche Agbo (CF Granada, Spain); Abdullahi Shehu (Anorthosis Famagusta, Cyprus); Tyronne Ebuehi (ADO Den Haag, The Netherlands); Elderson Echiejile (Sporting Gijon, Spain); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto, Portugal)

Midfielders: Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Oghenekaro Etebo (CD Feirense, Portugal); John Ogu (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel); Mikel Agu (Vitoria Setubal, Portugal); Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United FC)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Leicester City, England); Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City, England); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium); Stephen Odey (MFM FC); Henry Onyekuru (KAS Eupen, Belgium); Isaac Success (Watford FC, England); Noah Serenren-Bazee (Hannover 96, Germany); Victor Osimhen (Wolfsburg FC, Germany); Sikiru Olatubosun (MFM FC)

TO JOIN TEAM IN PARIS AFTER ENGLISH FA CUP FINAL

Ola Aina (Chelsea FC, England); Alex Iwobi (Arsenal FC, England)

http://aoifootball.com/2017/05/18/onyekuru-replaces-kayode-as-nff-confirms-corsica-togo-friendlies/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:57pm On May 18, 2017
AllforJesus7:

I'll stick with the.....

Iwobi Iheanacho V. Moses

Mikel
Ndidi Onazi

starting line up.

Nothing special about Onyekuru? Well that's a new one. I was watching his match with a friend, he rightly pointed out that the dude plays like David Villa. Ok, do you know that Villa was once a winger at Barca? Did you ever see him crossing the ball? Do you think that your local 'kick and chase' football is what they do at a professional level, where you just run to the byline and you cross? Oga, his instruction is not to cross the ball, how can you instruct your best player to stay on the wings and be putting in crosses alone when you know how clinical he is? Oga he is not a wide midfielder, he is a wing forward, it's just like expecting Ronaldo or Messi to be putting in crosses when they are in that position, utterly ridiculous.

For me, I will go with a front line of...
Onyekuru/Nacho/Kayode

Iwobi/Onyekuru V. Moses

that boy is too good to be far from our first eleven. Iwobi had better step up because he has been poor and doesn't even deserve to be second choice in that position

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:59pm On May 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
Good news, just heard that the Nff has contacted Onyekuru to join the Super Eagles Camp in France.
nff or the coaching crew?

Abeg make those guys in the glass house no near this team o o o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 20 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.