Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,770 members, 7,875,930 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:42 AM

99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To (4424 Views)

4 Mistakes 99% Of Students Make That’ll Slow Their Progress After Graduation / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 / Facts About Nigeria: You'll Be Shocked To Find Out You Don't Know 99% Of This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by Gerrard59(m): 10:07pm On Mar 31, 2016
If one listens to commentary, this shouldn't/wouldn't be a problem.

To those who talk about inferiority complex, these are English words and English is Nigeria's official language and as such shouldn't be an excuse.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by kennynelcon(m): 10:36pm On Mar 31, 2016
lol...I use the right word always, my friends go be like wetin be Lester city.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by tossen(f): 10:45pm On Mar 31, 2016
Lie. Fake statistics. I hate all these statistical insults. Without carrying out questioning... u will b making statistics.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by bankybobo11: 12:31am On Apr 01, 2016
kenonze:
Am one of the 1% that can pronounce it well.
I haven't been to UK.
If you do listen to Football pundits not the Nigerian version, i mean "Football Today or Epl Fanzone" IT won't be a challenge

You're right. Too many people watch the premier league in viewing centres so they barely listen to the commentary. They don't get to watch EPL FanZone either. Furthermore, they couldn't pronounce correctly some players' names, e.g. Rojo (Man UTD), Jesus Navas (Man City), Schurrle (Wolfsburg), blablahblah... Heck, they even pronounce Willian (Chelsea) as Williams, some say Willians, others William. SMH

2 Likes

Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by acenazt: 6:07am On Apr 01, 2016
Yeyye itk. Guy nothing go sweet Chelsea pass than to spoil Tot-num show. We draw with them and Less-ter beat us again!!! UP LESS-TER CITY THO I'M NOT A FAN.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by acenazt: 6:11am On Apr 01, 2016
Shey them fit pronounce Tolu. Cos I remember one white woman been Dey struggle to say Tolu sorry she even giv d guy another name. Last last tolu jackichanned her
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by Nobody: 6:31am On Apr 01, 2016
bankybobo11:

You're right. Too many people watch the premier league in viewing centres so they barely listen to the commentary. They don't get to watch EPL FanZone either. Furthermore, they couldn't pronounce correctly some players' names, e.g. Rojo (Man UTD), Jesus Navas (Man City), Schurrle (Wolfsburg), blablahblah... Heck, they even pronounce Willian (Chelsea) as Williams, some say Willians, others William. SMH

Rojo is pronounced "Roho"
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by milky3(f): 7:25am On Apr 01, 2016
noted.totnum lesster
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by bankybobo11: 7:45am On Apr 01, 2016
kenonze:

Rojo is pronounced "Roho"

Yup, but say that in a ball house and they'll laugh you and call u oversabi. You do watch your own football matches in the comfort of your home right?
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 01, 2016
bankybobo11:

Yup, but say that in a ball house and they'll laugh you and call u oversabi. You do watch your own football matches in the comfort of your home right?

Yeah,
Unless my husband chose to take me out on weekend.
I Don't miss Epl Fanzone and Football Today programe
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by bankybobo11: 8:00am On Apr 01, 2016
kenonze:

Yeah,
Unless my husband chose to take me out on weekend.
I Don't miss Epl Fanzone and Football Today programe

You're a rare type. I'm not yet married but I wish my future wife could pick up much interest in football matters like you. I wish she could play football video games as well, FIFA and PES cry
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by oluwafreshkid(m): 8:00am On Apr 01, 2016
HopeAtHand:

For Leicester the c is silent, so it is actually pronounced as Leiester.. another examples is Hughes which is pronounced as hues, thereby skipping the gh sound.

Tottenham also has its h sound silent, therefore its pronounced tottenam.

Buy me hero drink.

H in Tottenham is not silent.
the 'tt' is a glottal stop...check dictionary for glottal stops.
So it goes 'to-enham'
Bottle is a glottal sound word also button.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 01, 2016
bankybobo11:

You're a rare type. I'm not yet married but I wish my future wife could pick up much interest in football matters like you. I wish she could play football video games as well, FIFA and PES cry

God shall ans ur prayers.
I am an Arsenal fan while my boo is CFC
grin grin
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by bankybobo11: 8:08am On Apr 01, 2016
kenonze:

God shall ans ur prayers.
I am an Arsenal fan while my boo is CFC
grin grin

Hehehehe cheesy. Amen o. I'm a CFC fan a well!
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by cr7lomo: 8:28am On Apr 01, 2016
Do not allow this guy deceive you guys , Leicester is very correct... Lesstercity which they sometimes pronounce is the short form... Alot of long named clubs have a way of calling it short
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 01, 2016
In tha suspect's voice anyway na way so far say them win bet for me e done finish next season go determine their name
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To by NJPot(m): 2:41pm On Apr 01, 2016
cr7lomo:
Do not allow this guy deceive you guys , Leicester is very correct... Lesstercity which they sometimes pronounce is the short form... Alot of long named clubs have a way of calling it short

Do some research guy and stop doubting. Check your dictionary.

Noun: Leicester
|les-tu|

An industrial city in Leicestershire in central 
England; built on the site of a Roman settlement

(1) (2) (Reply)

CIPS Certification / 26 Things We Believe Are True, But Aren’t / Problem With Waec Result; Help Needed Urgently!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.