Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,755 members, 7,875,890 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:51 AM

The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. (987 Views)

Lazy Freelancing Jobs Nigerians Can Do And Make Money On Fiverr / Freelancing: Why Nigerians Should Start Today / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
It has always been my dream to become a world-class writer. Writing is a vocation that appeals immensely to me. I am a lover words, words titillate me. I am starting out a new career in writing. Although I am a greenhorn, I am more than willing to put in the needed work to develop myself and my penmanship. In life, I Believe the best work/life balance can only be achieved if your vocation is also your avocation.

So freelance writing here I come.

1 Like

Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2016
I stumbled upon this https://www.nairaland.com/1833989/how-make-1000-month-writing I became very convinced I had the right skills to work as a freelancer. I became very obsessed with the idea, it consumed my mornings and hung over like a persistent haze. The more I thought about freelancing the more passionately I began to loathe the slavery setup I worked in at the time.

My job as a restaurant manager in one of Nigeria’s leading QSR brands with a very sleek brand image was extremely demanding on my time. people have no idea of the groveling that goes on in the back of house of our restaurants. The kitchen is always chockful of back breaking labour. coming home always has me too tired to do anything else. I was always falling asleep and miserably tired. Owing to health concerns that arose as a result of waking up every day by 4.30am and heading out by 5am. I was always gone away from home for more than 14 hours daily. I worked 10 hours daily and an extra four hours in transit. Going from my corner of Ogun state to the island every day for two years wore me out totally. I had no idea what free time meant or work life balance. My relationships suffered one wreck after the other. I was always feeling hot inside, persistently irritated because of lack of sleep and good rest.

This was no way to live my twenties.
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by fastlane84: 10:37pm On Mar 31, 2016
which career?
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 01, 2016
I have always dreamed of becoming a writer. I disliked my office jobs because it did not allow me to be creative. the place and people stifled me, I also had frequent issues with management because I was stubborn... I wasn't even really stubborn, I was just demotivated. my demotivation made me develop an intense apathy for the whole establishment. when I worked at this job I hated the toll it took on my life and the fact that I was kind of trapped into the industry because I don't have some qualifications that other people have.

I love Nairaland Business section because it's a massive repository of life changing information. @ladywriter's thread showed me the writing dream could still be lived. I devoured the thread and took away some important tips. the advice which resonated the most was her advice to treat our freelancing like a business. that way, things are put in proper perspective. I took this advice and ran with it.

First, I needed to leave my current accommodation, the conditions there were really not ideal, I set out to secure more comfortable accommodation. I didn't even have money then, so I knew I would have to wait for a bit before I could start off. I waited six months in the planning phase. once I got an apartment, I turned in my resignation.

Today April 1st , I woke up at 5.00am, bathed, turned on my the generator. work has started, I am a pro now. this is my job and I have no choice than to put in the hours. This is a job now, this is where the daily bread will be earned and it has to be pursued with all seriousness. I have to sit my ass down and work. My goal is to become adequately skilled in the art of writing in order to live off my creative ability.

I am not deceived and thinking the journey ahead would be a pleasurable,painless ride--on the contrary, I know the journey will take sweat and blood, hard work and grit in the early days, the good thing is "I have made up my mind to give whatever it takes.

I will be documenting my journey in the world of writing on this thread.

I want to do so for people who are thinking of making a similar move but are held down by fear.
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 03, 2016
Not much have happened in the last few days, I have busied myself setting up an online presence. Today I took several upwork.com tests and placed in the top 20% in two of the tests. In total, I took five tests but currently displaying only three because the rest are below average. I also filled out my portfolio with relevant work experience and projects done offline prior to becoming a remote worker.

Then the bidding began. I sent out eight proposals and got only one invitation to interview. I did quite well in the interview, the only thing that disqualified me was my internet speed. I use swift networks and it couldn't even do download speeds of up to 2mbps. very annoying. The client loved my proposal and suggested that I find a way to improve my internet speed and then reapply. I don't think there's much that I can do about the speed, I am using the best provider around here and they can't even manage 2mbps!!. In upwork forum, a freelancer from Kenya shared her speed test result with me and it was a whopping 12mbps. Nigeria really has a long way to go. because of poor internet speed, I missed out an $8 per hour opportunity.

It's been very difficult. these days, I have been hooked to my computer for hours on end. but I won't give up. I will land a good job soon. Freelancing is competitive, but it does teach you how to be the best in your game owing to the stiff competition Asian freelancers bring to the table.

Tomorrow is writing day. For now, I write on writer earning peanuts. the pay isn't awesome but it's not so hard when you make premium or elite which is where all the good money is. You can actually make a living wage off those content mills. and I have serious bills coming up soon, so no time for lazing around!!

Fortune favors the brave. I shall keep that in mind as I hustle off to sleep.

2 Likes

Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by khassy(m): 4:35am On Apr 04, 2016
Try fiverr, quite easy to start out

Bad part is that sales are bad for now, hoping for something good BH the turn of the week
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by HazzanTazzan(m): 10:05pm On Apr 04, 2016
khassy:
Try fiverr, quite easy to start out

Bad part is that sales are bad for now, hoping for something good BH the turn of the week

Bro, dont bother responding to this mofo.
Hes the same person as the paypalking that scammed me of some dollars some days ago.

Now hes here with a new acct he opened just before I fell for his scam.

Im good at recognising same signature when I see it.

@all, pls be careful with this guy as I strongly believe hes the same guy paypalking who disappeared after scamming me
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by aleshsenior2000(m): 11:17pm On Apr 04, 2016
HazzanTazzan:

Bro, dont bother responding to this mofo.
Hes the same person as the paypalking that scammed me of some dollars some days ago.

Now hes here with a new acct he opened just before I fell for his scam.

Im good at recognising same signature when I see it.

@all, pls be careful with this guy as I strongly believe hes the same guy paypalking who disappeared after scamming me
Just as I suspected too. Beware, recent account. The long text looking convincing. Readers. Beware. Scam everywhere
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by Neduzze5(m): 2:15am On Apr 05, 2016
Hehehe.... Welcome to the club Sir WriteBoy.

If you're still sleeping uptil this moment, then I'd make bold to posit that you are a LazyBoy.

No offense intended but freelancers ain't got no time to check time talk more of time to sleep. Hope you can see the time at which I'm posting this. I've an alarm for 1:30am and after that, it's work throughout.

You have to be able to take advantage of the different timezones for different countries since you know that when Nigeria is asleep, UK or Vietnam or Australia or Canada is not. And a great number of jobs would be posted and awarded during this period.

Also, never forget those that have been there before you. I came onboard Freelancing in 2013 but due to my own negligence I never made a dime till recently when I was awarded a job by a fellow Nairalander. Advertise yourself down here at least for the reviews which would go a long way to help.

Be successful,
Neddie.
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by Neduzze5(m): 2:18am On Apr 05, 2016
Also, never forget to play some music whenever you feel down just like I'm doing right now wink

Now Playing: Gym Class Heroes - Stereo Hearts
Re: The Freelancing Diaries: Part 1 — Getting Started Is Rough. by Nobody: 5:35am On Apr 05, 2016
Neduzze5:
Hehehe.... Welcome to the club Sir WriteBoy.

If you're still sleeping uptil this moment, then I'd make bold to posit that you are a LazyBoy.

No offense intended but freelancers ain't got no time to check time talk more of time to sleep. Hope you can see the time at which I'm posting this. I've an alarm for 1:30am and after that, it's work throughout.

You have to be able to take advantage of the different timezones for different countries since you know that when Nigeria is asleep, UK or Vietnam or Australia or Canada is not. And a great number of jobs would be posted and awarded during this period.

Also, never forget those that have been there before you. I came onboard Freelancing in 2013 but due to my own negligence I never made a dime till recently when I was awarded a job by a fellow Nairalander. Advertise yourself down here at least for the reviews which would go a long way to help.

Be successful,
Neddie.

Thank you very much, but it's only natural to want to rest after 16hrs of work. I know what's involved in this career, seeing that it's my job now, care also has to be taken to prevent burnout in the early stages.

Thank you for your feedback I am really searching for how to get reviewed on upwork because it would boost my response rate which is abysmal at this point.

Thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need A Genuine Investment Site? / What's The Direct Immediate Effect Of The Yuan FX Deal On Importers From China. / Use Your Digital Marketing Skills To Earn Extra Money Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.