Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,495 members, 7,885,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 11:22 PM

Do You Consider Somalis Black? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Consider Somalis Black? (11933 Views)

Somalis Rated #5 Best Looking People On Earth / Ethiopian Here: I Hate Somalis And Hear Me Out / What Race Are Somalis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Probz(m): 9:06am On Jan 18, 2018
RedboneSmith:
Australian aborigines.

Notice the hair texture, the brow ridges, the wide faces. Don't be entirely focused on skin colour. These people don't look West African.

Those people look like charcoal monsters that’s for sure. Who’s even want to be mistaken for them?
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by gregyboy(m): 11:26am On Jan 18, 2018
[quote author=Probz post=64298982]

they never acknowledged to be we but we know they are
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by JikanBaura(m): 11:27am On Jan 18, 2018
ShegeYorubawa:

I want to fukkk her with my negroid diCkkk.

How is Ajuran the somali troll?

grin
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by JikanBaura(m): 11:28am On Jan 18, 2018
No Somali are white cheesy, i don't consider them black grin
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by gregyboy(m): 11:30am On Jan 18, 2018
RedboneSmith:
Australian aborigines.

Notice the hair texture, the brow ridges, the wide faces. Don't be entirely focused on skin colour. These people don't look West African.
here we go again .dont you know about mutation or adaptation now do even wonder why a west africa man hair is strong and not curly .scientifically our humidity in west africa is vey low resulting to strong hair but this hair need not to fall or be full like the white man hair because of low humidity and you are aware the brains needs oxygen to enhance is systems. But for the white is other wise there is no much sunlight over there and humidity is higher with more of cold and more humidity the scalp of the head needs to well covered and relaxed to protect the skull not to get frozen ...as for the hair colour of the australians mutation also happened there blonde hair ,blue eyes,etc this is all seen in western part of the world where there is no sunlight giving them a set of mutation of adaptation i bet you the black americans of today will mutate years to come with no west african interference to become more of the australians aborigines .even now it is even started like there have light skinned, thier hair is becoming relaxed etc...i wonder if you havnt seen the black indians who leave in a temeperature hotter than west africa and when cold probably more colder thsn west africa thats mutation for both cold and hot region they have...we have light skin people in west africa some light skin people can even pass for a white person imagine those set of people are seen as outcast and driven to place like europe dont you think thier mutation outcome will be of white ....africa is the home of genetics even the Europeans dont give birth to dark skin children but we give birth to albinos and fair people take mike euzeguna as an example probably on skin tone is even more fair than ramsey noah who is partly white

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by gregyboy(m): 11:39am On Jan 18, 2018
I consider them fulanis and if they are really are they should come take thie brothers out of nigeria bubu and Fulani's have done enough alredy
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by RedboneSmith(m): 3:54pm On Jan 18, 2018
gregyboy:

here we go again .dont you know about mutation or adaptation now do even wonder why a west africa man hair is strong and not curly .scientifically our humidity in west africa is vey low resulting to strong hair but this hair need not to fall or be full like the white man hair because of low humidity and you are aware the brains needs oxygen to enhance is systems. But for the white is other wise there is no much sunlight over there and humidity is higher with more of cold and more humidity the scalp of the head needs to well covered and relaxed to protect the skull not to get frozen ...as for the hair colour of the australians mutation also happened there blonde hair ,blue eyes,etc this is all seen in western part of the world where there is no sunlight giving them a set of mutation of adaptation i bet you the black americans of today will mutate years to come with no west african interference to become more of the australians aborigines .even now it is even started like there have light skinned, thier hair is becoming relaxed etc...i wonder if you havnt seen the black indians who leave in a temeperature hotter than west africa and when cold probably more colder thsn west africa thats mutation for both cold and hot region they have...we have light skin people in west africa some light skin people can even pass for a white person imagine those set of people are seen as outcast and driven to place like europe dont you think thier mutation outcome will be of white ....africa is the home of genetics even the Europeans dont give birth to dark skin children but we give birth to albinos and fair people take mike euzeguna as an example probably on skin tone is even more fair than ramsey noah who is partly white

*Long, tired sigh*

This is why arguing with Nigerians is such a hard chore: They very quickly forget (or confuse) the matter at hand and ramble off into other quite different issues.

Who is arguing mutation and adaptation with you? Did I tell you I didn't know all humans originally came from Africa, and that the reason different human groups look different is because of mutation and adaptation to different environments?

All I have said, all I have been saying, is that the Australoid race has distinct physical features from African Negroes. And I have demonstrated that. This rambling about mutation and adaptation is even an implicit concession to the fact that they look different.

Biko, I am not doing again. Be going. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by 12salim(m): 4:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
gregyboy:
I consider them fulanis and if they are really are they should come take thie brothers out of nigeria bubu and Fulani's have done enough alredy

LOL! grin grin
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Ekealterego: 7:59pm On Feb 11, 2018
Why aren't they "black"? Is it not all these Eritreans and Somalis on asylum in Europe? The white Europeans can't even differentiate much between the different shades of skin colours of Sub Saharan Africa except for their slim small bodies and bucktooth.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by makahlj2: 8:20am On Feb 12, 2018
Ekealterego:
Why aren't they "black"? Is it not all these Eritreans and Somalis on asylum in Europe? The white Europeans can't even differentiate much between the different shades of skin colours of Sub Saharan Africa except for their slim small bodies and bucktooth.

These Somalians look to me more like black Arabs than black Caucasians. Perhaps this is the reason why they're such Arab-wannabes.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by makahlj2: 8:21am On Feb 12, 2018
RedboneSmith:
people of Papua New Guinea or the Andaman Islands look West African

Andaman Islands? Maybe. But Papua New Guinea? Hardly.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by 12salim(m): 2:05pm On Feb 12, 2018
Ekealterego:

They're black. We horners are black and cushite (not caucasian).

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Ekealterego: 12:53am On Feb 13, 2018
makahlj2:

These Somalians look to me more like black Arabs than black Caucasians. Perhaps this is the reason why they're such Arab-wannabes.
Honestly, they don't look anything like Arabs. Not same body or facial type. In Europe, they don't even associate with Arabs at all. I think religion might make them act like "wannabes". On most occasions, they clog together.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Hirad: 3:36am On Mar 02, 2018
makahlj2:

Hello I am new here and I would like to know how we Somalis are Arab wannabes? We have our own culture, language, history and etc. All we share with Arabs is our religion and a long history of trade.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by makahlj2: 8:37am On Mar 02, 2018
Hirad:

Hello I am new here and I would like to know how we Somalis are Arab wannabes? We have our own culture, language, history and etc. All we share with Arabs is our religion and a long history of trade.

If you're really new there, then you probably don't know that this forum has a massive problem with some Somali trolls calling us black, ugly, uncivilized and whatnot. And sometimes we hit (troll) back.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Hirad: 5:53am On Mar 03, 2018
makahlj2:

If you're really new there, then you probably don't know that this forum has a massive problem with some Somali trolls calling us black, ugly, uncivilized and whatnot. And sometimes we hit (troll) back.

That is very unfortunate. I don't think it's wise for Somalis to call anybody uncivilised on the back of a 28-year-long civil war. As for calling people black and ugly? No god-fearing person should ever mock the creation of God with silly names, besides we're black and very dark skinned ourselves undecided

I asked because a lot of non-Muslim Sub Saharan Africans tend to repeat what you said. I just wanted to know what made you say that.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:15pm On Mar 03, 2018
Hirad:

Joining an association called 'The Arab League' when you are not Arabs doesn't qualify as 'Arab-wannabeism'?

Just a question.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by AfriRenaissance: 9:44pm On Mar 03, 2018
gregyboy:
Africa is a really diverse race continent

Like madagascar would pass for an asian person be it indian or chinesse they look more like them

West africans would pass for negriod australians in australia

North africa moroco and libyans would pass for Europeans and arabs

Somalian and Ethiopians would pass for Caribbean people or mullato

This why the white believes african is the home of all race

No this is not why. They believe life originated in Africa, due to genetic studies. People in Madagascar looking Asian have to do with the fact that Asians were brought there during the colonial period and intermingled with the local population. Same goes for Indians, Omani Arabs, and other Asians coming into Somalia. "Caribbean" people are just amalgamated Native Americans from Southern America, Africans, and Europeans. There is nothing original about Caribbean people. Jamaican, Haitian, Puerto Rican, and etc are colonial names.

Somalians look the way they do because they're mixed as Bleep.
Their DNA is all over the place, because of invasions and migrations - especially invasions from the Arabs They raped their way into Somalia and left their mix-breed offspring to rule just like they did in other parts of Africa.

If I could guess, I would assume the "original" Somali looked similar to the Beja people. The pictures OP posted of Somali women are heavily mixed. It's so obvious to see that it's hilarious he would try to pass them off as Pure Somali or Original Somali. I guess he's proud of his rape blood.

Here are a couple images of Beja men

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Hirad: 1:10am On Mar 04, 2018
RedboneSmith:

Joining an association called 'The Arab League' when you are not Arabs doesn't qualify as 'Arab-wannabeism'?

Just a question.

It's a complex issue to be honest with you and it was a politically motivated move rather than 'Arab-wannabeism' as you phrase it. We were under the rule of Siad Barre who was a ruthless dictator that caused the eventual downfall of the Somali Republic. Furthermore, when Somalia joined the Arab League we were preparing for a war with Ethiopia to regain Western Somalia or what is today the Somali region of Ethiopia which is roughly around 1\4 of Ethiopia. We were looking for allies and financial backers, as we had recently severed ties with the Soviet Union over the issue of retaking Western Somalia at the time. Both the War and and joining the Arab League turned out to be bad moves as we lost the war and members of the Arab League sided with Ethiopia against us, namely Libya and South Yemen. Since the war, the country as either been in turmoil or under a transitional government until 2012. By the way, the Arab League also has observer states like Eritrea, Brazil and Venezuela.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Hirad: 1:44am On Mar 04, 2018
AfriRenaissance:

No this is not why. They believe life originated in Africa, due to genetic studies. People in Madagascar looking Asian have to do with the fact that Asians were brought there during the colonial period and intermingled with the local population. Same goes for Indians, Omani Arabs, and other Asians coming into Somalia. "Caribbean" people are just amalgamated Native Americans from Southern America, Africans, and Europeans. There is nothing original about Caribbean people. Jamaican, Haitian, Puerto Rican, and etc are colonial names.

Their DNA is all over the place, because of invasions and migrations - especially invasions from the Arabs They raped their way into Somalia and left their mix-breed offspring to rule just like they did in other parts of Africa.

If I could guess, I would assume the "original" Somali looked similar to the Beja people. The pictures OP posted of Somali women are heavily mixed. It's so obvious to see that it's hilarious he would try to pass them off as Pure Somali or Original Somali. I guess he's proud of his rape blood.

Everything you said is factually INCORRECT. The men you have photographed there are the Afar people of Eritrea, Ethiopia and Djibouti. Afars are literally our cousins as we both speak a Cushitic language and have the exact same DNA. Beja people are also our distant cousins, they are also Cushitic. If those men cut their hair, they would like everyday Somali men.

I've taken an ancestry DNA test and so have thousands of other Somali people. Apart from the ones that are quite obviously mixed like the Barawani and Banadiri Arab minorities in South Somalia, the vast majority of us have less than 1% Arab DNA. It would be appreciated if you didn't speak out of ignorance. The Somali phenotype is very common in East Africa and even among Tutsi people who are not Cushitic. Tell me if you think Tutsis are mixed...

Also, Arabs have never invaded Somalia or anywhere in the horn. The closest the horn of Africa came close to an Arab invasion was when the Sudani Mahdists attacked Abyssinia. What you fail to understand is that Somalis have been Muslim longer than most Arab people and therefore under Islamic law, it was forbidden for them Arabs to try to conquer Muslim land.

Below are photos of Beja, Somali and Afar people, I want you to tell me which ones that are Afar, Beja and Somali.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-OLxtYgVXgOY/WImoMlyhiyI/AAAAAAAAWsg/dgtGOCJcdSQTgCcSmuGRdQ3SU7AXcsJTACK4B/s1600/afar%2Bwedding.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by AfriRenaissance: 4:26am On Mar 04, 2018
I said those men were Beja, not Somali. In regards to your photos,some of them look heavily mixed with middle eastern people. I understand you want to be "Pure" Somali, but such a thing doesn't exist anymore. Thanks to Islam and Arab Imperialism. You were Muslim before Arabs? Ok True, did you know grass comes before earth?

https://mathildasanthropologyblog./2008/07/30/somali-y-chromosome-study/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2011/06/a-genomic-sketch-of-the-horn-of-africa/#.WpthnHxG11s

Go through those links. You are not only mixed with Arab, but Somali Y-chromosome (The chromosome passed from Father to Son) s 40% Eurasian (Middle East + Neighboring Areas) You also have DNA from those Migrating from Upper Egypt. I told you you're mixed, DNA doesn't lie. Somalia its current form is not what it was in the past during medieval times. There were different kingdoms and empires, for example Ajuran Sultante and the Kingdom of Adal. Ajuran was Somali, but Adal was heavily populated by Arabs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajuran_Sultanate#Muslim_migration

Go through it, have a field day - it's interesting stuff. However it''s also interesting to see that without your "mamlukes" and Ottoman assistance you couldn't defeat the Oromo and Portuguese. Uf you are so bold and strong as Somali's why did you need that kind of help? Also, if you are so great now why is your country riddled with strife? Please don't come on here beating your chest, cause Somali is definitely not the best place to be right now.

Ancestry.com has the smallest database of African lineages LOL so testing with them won't tell you shit. Sheesh you're a genetics noob. You either need to test with a company that has a larger database of African samples or commission a scientific research team to do it. I'm assuming the latter is impossible for you - no offense, but if you're on here creating topics like this I doubt you're scholarly and thorough enough to pull something like that off.

Also, Somali people are not homogeneous anymore. Due to all of the mixing that has occurred some of them have varying amounts of African, Arab, and European in them. Not to mention Indian. That being said, you are hella mixed dude. Do you know what you aren't though? You aint shit grin grin grin
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Hirad: 7:55pm On Mar 04, 2018
AfriRenaissance:
I said those men were Beja, not Somali. In regards to your photos,some of them look heavily mixed with middle eastern people. I understand you want to be "Pure" Somali, but such a thing doesn't exist anymore. Thanks to Islam and Arab Imperialism. You were Muslim before Arabs? Ok True, did you know grass comes before earth?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2011/06/a-genomic-sketch-of-the-horn-of-africa/#.WpthnHxG11s

Go through those links. You are not only mixed with Arab, but Somali Y-chromosome (The chromosome passed from Father to Son) s 40% Eurasian (Middle East + Neighboring Areas) You also have DNA from those Migrating from Upper Egypt. I told you you're mixed, DNA doesn't lie. Somalia its current form is not what it was in the past during medieval times. There were different kingdoms and empires, for example Ajuran Sultante and the Kingdom of Adal. Ajuran was Somali, but Adal was heavily populated by Arabs.

Go through it, have a field day - it's interesting stuff. However it''s also interesting to see that without your "mamlukes" and Ottoman assistance you couldn't defeat the Oromo and Portuguese. Uf you are so bold and strong as Somali's why did you need that kind of help? Also, if you are so great now why is your country riddled with strife? Please don't come on here beating your chest, cause Somali is definitely not the best place to be right now.

Ancestry.com has the smallest database of African lineages LOL so testing with them won't tell you shit. Sheesh you're a genetics noob. You either need to test with a company that has a larger database of African samples or commission a scientific research team to do it. I'm assuming the latter is impossible for you - no offense, but if you're on here creating topics like this I doubt you're scholarly and thorough enough to pull something like that off.

Also, Somali people are not homogeneous anymore. Due to all of the mixing that has occurred some of them have varying amounts of African, Arab, and European in them. Not to mention Indian. That being said, you are hella mixed dude. Do you know what you aren't though? You aint shit grin grin grin

You don't know how ridiculous you sound trying to argue over something you have no knowledge over. The point I was trying to make with the pictures is that there isn't much difference between Beja people and Somalis because we are cousins and have almost the exact same DNA. I can guarantee you that if you saw a Beja and a Somali person today, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. So the notion that Beja's are purer or more 'pure-looking' than Somalis is absolutely rubbish. In fact, due to Beja's living among Arabs, you are more likely to find an Arab-passing Beja in Egypt and Sudan.

Ignorance is making you blind to real facts. Somalis were indeed Muslims before most Arabs as one of the first mosques (Masjid Qiblatayn) in Islam lies in Zeila which is northern Somalia. This mosque is older than the conquest of Mecca by the Muslims. You can deny it all you like, but the facts are there.

As for us being mixed, not once have I denied this. We are an ancient mixed people and so are Beja, Afar, Oromo and other Cushitic people. What I am disagreeing with is you saying we are mixed with Arabs, because that is not true. Eurasian does not mean Arab, it what you fail to understand is that our mix is Ancient and secondly the ancestors of Somalis were African males who mated with neolithic era Eurasian females around 10,000 years ago. So the other fallacious statement you made about us being raped by Arabs is also untrue. You said it yourself that our Y-DNA is around 40% Euroasian, but you fail to notice that the 40% Eurasian mix is NOT Arab, because no Arab lived 10,000 years ago.

You're rambling on about DNA when you don't understand any of it. This quote is from your own link.

3) There is a rough rank order of admixture estimates. In terms of Africanness it goes from Somali > Oromo > Beta Israel ~ Amhara > Tigray. The sample sizes are small though, so we should be cautious. The Amhara seem to vary the most. One might suspect that the Amhara, being the traditional core ethnicity of Ethiopia of late, assimilated other groups. If you look at the PCA the Somali actually look the most “East African” of the groups on PC 2. Note also the linear pattern of distribution other Ethiopians and the Masai toward Arabians and Bantu respectively. This is suggestive of some sort ancient admixture event between an East African substrate and other populations. I will label this population “Ancestral East Africans” (AEA).

Meaning that Somalis are the most pure group of people in the horn of Africa. There are small Arab populations within Somalia like the Banadiri and Barawani people. They're quite clearly Arab and are easily spotted from a crowd of Somalis. Case in point this lady here is a Somali Banadiri and her DNA quite clearly reflects that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxMfQqhXpQ

These Arab and Persian populations trace their ancestry back to the early Muslims who migrated to Somalia in the medieval times. This is nothing new.

As for your other points, nobody claimed to be strong and not needing help from anyone. Every major kingdom had allies. Even today the EU depends on all of the Nato countries for help. We had help from the Ottomans and the Omanis and we are grateful to them as they prevented foreigners from destroying our sultanates. Also I'm actually a direct descendant of one of the chief generals of Adal. There might have been some Arab soldiers in the armies of Adal, but all the generals of the forces were Somali or an East African Muslim like Afar or Harari. I don't see how you can tell me anything new about something my forefathers were part of.

What you're doing is assuming that we're mixed due to our phenotype which is again, not true and not even a rare phenotype in Africa. Just look at the Fulani, Tutsi and other Cushitic people. Seek knowledge and most importantly help because not a sane person would go to such lengths to spread misinformation about another African ethnicity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by RedboneSmith(m): 10:02am On Mar 05, 2018
Hirad:

It's a complex issue to be honest with you and it was a politically motivated move rather than 'Arab-wannabeism' as you phrase it. We were under the rule of Siad Barre who was a ruthless dictator that caused the eventual downfall of the Somali Republic. Furthermore, when Somalia joined the Arab League we were preparing for a war with Ethiopia to regain Western Somalia or what is today the Somali region of Ethiopia which is roughly around 1\4 of Ethiopia. We were looking for allies and financial backers, as we had recently severed ties with the Soviet Union over the issue of retaking Western Somalia at the time. Both the War and and joining the Arab League turned out to be bad moves as we lost the war and members of the Arab League sided with Ethiopia against us, namely Libya and South Yemen. Since the war, the country as either been in turmoil or under a transitional government until 2012. By the way, the Arab League also has observer states like Eritrea, Brazil and Venezuela.

Don't take me too seriously. I was playing with you grin

Yea, I know it was a political move more than anything else.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 06, 2018
AfriRenaissance:

They are Afar men not Beja

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Hirad: 7:14am On Mar 07, 2018
Hati13:

They are Afar men not Beja

It was funny watching him try to say we're Arab rape babies then post pictures of Afars, as if Somalis and Afars don't look identical lol
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 07, 2018
Hirad:

It was funny watching him try to say we're Arab rape babies then post pictures of Afars, as if Somalis and Afars don't look identical lol
He is wrong and I agree in your points.

By the way, Afroasiatic originated in Africa. This group are Omotic, Cushite (Agaw, Afar, Somali, etc...), Chadic, Ancient Egyptian, Berber and Semitic (Arab, Ethiosemitic, etc....).

So this means Somali or any Horners generally didn't come from Arabia, but the early Afroasiatic ancestors of Arabs came from Horn of Africa. Semitic identity might originated in Levant or Egypt or even in Ethiopia/Eritrea. If Semitic originated in Ethiopia/Eritrea, it will explain why there are many diverse Semitic languages in Ethiopia/Eritrea than Arabia or Levant. But more research needs to be done to totally validate this theory.

Light skin Horners are few. This trait is indeed as result of non-African influence, but the other features are indigenous to the area (Afroasiatic originated in the Horn like I said above). Arabs were black skinned at first before they were raped by Whites in ancient times).

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Hirad: 4:09am On Mar 08, 2018
Hati13:

By the way, Afroasiatic originated in Africa. This group are Omotic, Cushite (Agaw, Afar, Somali, etc...), Chadic, Ancient Egyptian, Berber and Semitic (Arab, Ethiosemitic, etc....).

So this means Somali or any Horners generally didn't come from Arabia, but the early Afroasiatic ancestors of Arabs came from Horn of Africa. Semitic identity might originated in Levant or Egypt or even in Ethiopia/Eritrea. If Semitic originated in Ethiopia/Eritrea, it will explain why there are many diverse Semitic languages in Ethiopia/Eritrea than Arabia or Levant. But more research needs to be done to totally validate this theory.

Light skin Horners are few. This trait is indeed as result of non-African influence, but the other features are indigenous to the area (Afroasiatic originated in the Horn like I said above). Arabs were black skinned at first before they were raped by Whites in ancient times).

You speak the truth.

What irks me so much is that his view is prevalent in Africa. When I first got to know a friend of mine from Botswana, he assumed I was Arab and even when I told him that I'm Somali, he said "are Somalis not Arab?".

They see East Africans that don't look like the people from their region/country and assume they are foreigners in Africa. It is also exactly this sort of attitude that also classes the Amazigh of North Africa as foreigners and invaders of Africa. This view is very problematic because not only is it discriminatory towards Horners and anybody that looks like them, but it also paints Africans as weak and feeble people that are always conquered by invaders. It is a subconscious negative view of Africans as it implies that Africans can never hold their ground and are always forcefully assimilated and enslaved. This is contrary to the scientifically proven fact that Cushites are a product of an African male + Eurasian female from the near-east.

It is plausible that the earliest Semites came from Africa and then expanded into the middle east. This is a view held by many historians, but the Ethio-Semitic groups came about as a result of back migration to the the horn of Africa around 2000-3000 years ago. From what I've seen and heard, many Ethio-Semitic speaking people are in fact Cushites who just speak a Semitic language. East Africa is unique in the sense that it is a melting pot of ancient cultures and languages. It is indeed where the Afro Asiatic people originated, so in that sense it is not wrong to say that even the middle east is an extension of Africa.

This youtuber has mapped the Afroasiatic expansion according to historical accounts. It is very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLt9iYjlSkw

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Ozouno1: 4:49am On Mar 11, 2018
Hirad:

You speak the truth.

What irks me so much is that his view is prevalent in Africa. When I first got to know a friend of mine from Botswana, he assumed I was Arab and even when I told him that I'm Somali, he said "are Somalis not Arab?".

14 February 1974 - Somalia joins the Arab League after fourteen years of independence.

Being members of the Arab League going on 50 years is a contradiction then. How does that get resolved?
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Nobody: 4:50am On Mar 12, 2018
Hirad:

You speak the truth.

They see East Africans that don't look like the people from their region/country and assume they are foreigners in Africa. It is also exactly this sort of attitude that also classes the Amazigh of North Africa as foreigners and invaders of Africa. This view is very problematic because not only is it discriminatory towards Horners and anybody that looks like them, but it also paints Africans as weak and feeble people that are always conquered by invaders. It is a subconscious negative view of Africans as it implies that Africans can never hold their ground and are always forcefully assimilated and enslaved. This is contrary to the scientifically proven fact that Cushites are a product of an African male + Eurasian female from the near-east.

It is plausible that the earliest Semites came from Africa and then expanded into the middle east. This is a view held by many historians, but the Ethio-Semitic groups came about as a result of back migration to the the horn of Africa around 2000-3000 years ago. From what I've seen and heard, many Ethio-Semitic speaking people are in fact Cushites who just speak a Semitic language. East Africa is unique in the sense that it is a melting pot of ancient cultures and languages. It is indeed where the Afro Asiatic people originated, so in that sense it is not wrong to say that even the middle east is an extension of Africa.

This youtuber has mapped the Afroasiatic expansion according to historical accounts. It is very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLt9iYjlSkw
Interesting. About Cushite being product of African male and Eurasia female like you, wouldn't be probable if it was majority Eurasia male and African women since male consists the major portion of the migration population for the most part in the past?

And I once read that the African components of Cushite were mainly from Khoisan and the ancestors of present day Nilotic groups. What do you say?

And you are wrong when you say Ethiosemitic speakers are migrants. They equally have inhabited the Horn as Cushite did. Semitic originated in the Horn before it later expanded to Levant and Arabia. It's true that majority of Ethiosemitic speakers are Cushite as a result of assimilation, but the ancient Ethiosemitic speakers were distinct just like Cushite and Omar were and are distinct.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by 9jakool: 12:03pm On Mar 15, 2018
Hati13:

I haven't been active on this site for a while, so I am actually glad that I came across this page.

To address your point. I have no doubt that the Afro-asiatic branch originated from Africa. Out of all the branches (Coptic, Cushitic, Chadic, Berber, Omotic), only one is not exclusive to Africa and that is the Semitic branch. It's most likely that it originate from the Middle East. If you are judging by diversity only as a means of pointing to the origin of a language, I will have to say that that the Arabian peninsula and the adjoining Levant region host the most diversity for Semitic languages. The reason why you don't hear of these semitic languages and you only hear of Arabic is because of the dominance of Arabic over the vast Semitic languages during the Arabization of the Middle East. For example, Aramaic, Moabite, Nabatean, Eblaite, and Phoenican used to be spoken in modern day Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Iraq. Of that list, only Aramaic has managed to curb extinction. The Semitic languages spoken in the Horn belong exclusively to the South Semitic languages. The only place outside of Africa where they are spoken historically are Yemen, Oman, and South of Saudi Arabia. The Ethiopian Semitic languages developed in isolation and spread from coastal areas to further inland. Nonetheless, outside of Africa, it is spoken in a region that's the closest to the continent. The idea of a continent in itself is a Western social construct based on somewhat arbitrary boarders like the Suez Canal, the Caspian Sea, etc.

Languages doesn't prescribe genetics. A Hindi speaker from India looks completely different from a Norwegian speaker despite both speaking languages belonging to the same family. The main factor for genetics is location. Also, the idea of light skin being non-African or being a trait largely found in the horn is bogus. Most corners have a variety of skin tones. Genetic diversity goes beyond skin tones, hair texture, or any physical traits. Have you ever wonder how someone from Africa can look vastly different from someone from Europe and yet share 99.9% of DNA. Also, the people with some of the highest frequency of lighter skin, even more so the Horrners are the Khoi-Sans of Southern Africa.

I won't go as far as to say that the original Arabs were black. I would say however that Arab assimilation has resulted in an extremely diverse ethnic group from Sudan to Syria to Yemen.

Now back to the main matter. To slightly suggest that the vast majority of people from the Horn have Arab ancestry is beyond ridiculous. If you note how Arab mixing or assimilation works, it's usually through the paternal line. This is possibly due to their polygamous nature. You can't just be "mixed" or partially Arab or even 1% Arab without full assimilation with their culture, which means you have to not only convert to Islam, but also loose your indigenous language, and erase much of your pre-existing identity. A vivid example of this can be seen among Sudanese Arabs. The people of the horn have retained their culture and languages, which means that they didn't mix with Arabs. In short what I am trying to say is that having the slightest Arab element historically meant that you loose your identity and culture altogether.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 15, 2018
9jakool:

I haven't been active on this site for a while, so I am actually glad that I came across this page.

Welcome back smiley

9jakool:

To address your point. I have no doubt that the Afro-asiatic branch originated from Africa. Out of all the branches (Coptic, Cushitic, Chadic, Berber, Omotic), only one is not exclusive to Africa and that is the Semitic branch. It's most likely that it originate from the Middle East. If you are judging by diversity only as a means of pointing to the origin of a language, I will have to say that that the Arabian peninsula and the adjoining Levant region host the most diversity for Semitic languages. The reason why you don't hear of these semitic languages and you only hear of Arabic is because of the dominance of Arabic over the vast Semitic languages during the Arabization of the Middle East. For example, Aramaic, Moabite, Nabatean, Eblaite, and Phoenican used to be spoken in modern day Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Iraq. Of that list, only Aramaic has managed to curb extinction. The Semitic languages spoken in the Horn belong exclusively to the South Semitic languages. The only place outside of Africa where they are spoken historically are Yemen, Oman, and South of Saudi Arabia. The Ethiopian Semitic languages developed in isolation and spread from coastal areas to further inland. Nonetheless, outside of Africa, it is spoken in a region that's the closest to the continent. The idea of a continent in itself is a Western social construct based on somewhat arbitrary boarders like the Suez Canal, the Caspian Sea, etc.

There are new evidences being presented that disprove the claim that Semitic originated in the Middle East in favor of NE Africa homeland.

9jakool:

Languages doesn't prescribe genetics. A Hindi speaker from India looks completely different from a Norwegian speaker despite both speaking languages belonging to the same family. The main factor for genetics is location. Also, the idea of light skin being non-African or being a trait largely found in the horn is bogus. Most corners have a variety of skin tones. Genetic diversity goes beyond skin tones, hair texture, or any physical traits. Have you ever wonder how someone from Africa can look vastly different from someone from Europe and yet share 99.9% of DNA. Also, the people with some of the highest frequency of lighter skin, even more so the Horrners are the Khoi-Sans of Southern Africa.

Agreed

9jakool:

I won't go as far as to say that the original Arabs were black. I would say however that Arab assimilation has resulted in an extremely diverse ethnic group from Sudan to Syria to Yemen.

How couldn't they be when their main ancestors (Afroasiatic) came from NE Africa? It's because of assimilation like you suggested that they gradually became light skinned.

9jakool:

Now back to the main matter. To slightly suggest that the vast majority of people from the Horn have Arab ancestry is beyond ridiculous. If you note how Arab mixing or assimilation works, it's usually through the paternal line. This is possibly due to their polygamous nature. You can't just be "mixed" or partially Arab or even 1% Arab without full assimilation with their culture, which means you have to not only convert to Islam, but also loose your indigenous language, and erase much of your pre-existing identity. A vivid example of this can be seen among Sudanese Arabs. The people of the horn have retained their culture and languages, which means that they didn't mix with Arabs. In short what I am trying to say is that having the slightest Arab element historically meant that you loose your identity and culture altogether.
I agree. Only very few Horners intermingled with Arab. The great genetic similarities between Horners and Yemenis is the result of the former settling, colonializing and intermixing with the Yemeni in ancient times.

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis Black? by revontuli(f): 9:54pm On Mar 15, 2018
AfriRenaissance:

I don't think there is any "pure-blooded" nation on earth other than the isolated, uncontacted native tribes in the Bolivian jungles, Arctic natives and nomadic Mongolian tribes. Anyone around trade routes and port cities is hella mixed.
Mogadishu was a port city and trade center since antiquity. Quoting Wikipedia:

Mogadishu was part of the Somali city-states that in engaged in a lucrative trade network connecting Somali merchants with Phoenicia, Ptolemic Egypt, Greece, Parthian Persia, Saba, Nabataea and the Roman Empire. Somali sailors used the ancient Somali maritime vessel known as the beden to transport their cargo.

According to the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, maritime trade connected Somalis in the Mogadishu area (known to the Romans and Greeks as Sarapion) with other communities along the Indian Ocean coast as early as the 1st century CE.

How can it be remotely possible to maintain ethnic purity with such a history? The Somalian youtuber lady linked here turned out to have about 5% South Asian and 1% European DNA and was shocked about it, although there isn't much of a shock factor if you pay attention to ancient history.

You have a port and trade center? You are mixed as mixed goes. Even the isolated Iceland far above the Arctic circle has mixed genetics cause the Vikings raided and traded with the British Isles and took women from there. Ancient people mixed like no tomorrow cause of trade, conquests and raiding.

As a Euro-American, one thing I find quite laughable is the Somalis trolling around, looking down on the West Africans and claiming they are more beautiful and better than the blacks. LMAO, Somali diaspora has the worst reputation imaginable. West African, especially Nigerian and Ghanaian football players are all over the UK Premier League and Bundesliga. Where are the Somalis?

Nigeria exports football stars, authors, doctors, scholars and hard working university student population. Sure they also exported some criminals but the hard work and success of the aforementioned groups offsets that. Somali diaspora on the other hand is well known for their khat chewing habits, gaming the system to practice polygamy, illiteracy and laziness. We learned all about khat thanks to the Somalis, we learned about female genital mutilation again thanks to the Somalis. No other African diaspora population is associated with such things. Somalis are the biggest African and 3rd biggest foreign immigrant population where I live, but all the ethnic African stores are run by Ghanaians and Nigerians, which constitute a very small population. There are only a handful of Ethiopians, yet 2 Ethiopian restaurants. Somalis with their massive population don't have a single restaurant or shop. I know about fufu, okra stew, plantain pudding, yam, cassava, but don't have a clue what Somalis eat cause there are no Somali restaurants within 1000 miles. They are hiding their cuisine from the world like it's the greatest secret.

Dear Somalian trolls, you brag about your beauty but beauty is not something earned with hard work, therefore nothing to be proud of. Beauty fades away when you get old and wrinkled. Will you brag about your beauty and oh so pretty hair when you are 75 years old? It's your accomplishments and what you contribute to humanity that counts. It's so stupid and childish to brag about looks and claim superiority over the other nations on that basis (besides, Nigerians, Ghanaians and other Africans produce beautiful people too) if your face burns in a fire or if you get an incurable skin disease you will lose your beauty, but what you do with the skill of your hands and brain is what matters in the end. As the Nigerian gentleman from the UK mentioned in this thread, Somali diaspora is infamously known as parasitic khat-addicted asylum seekers and FGM practitioners in Europe. Excluding the racists, Somalis have a pretty negative image in the mainstream. I've read interviews with Somalian refugee women in Yemen, all of them complain about how they work so hard while their husbands sit at home chewing khat and doing nothing.

Nigerians on the other hand are recognized for their contributions to literature, culture and sports, not to mention they produced a Nobel laureate in literature and the first African Pulitzer winner. You guys should thank Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Iman for saving a bit of face for you with their intellectual and philanthropic works. Brag about those two if you must brag. Nigerians still beat you when it comes to internationally acclaimed figures cheesy

Another stupid thing the Somalis visiting this forum do is bragging about never being conquered and colonized, looking down on the other Subsaharan Africans for being colonized and enslaved. Give me a break dude, half of Europe has been colonized and conquered throughout the history, are you going to look down on the Europeans too? Finland has been colonized all the way until 1917, never been a sovereign nation before then, gained independence for the first time just 40 years before Ghana. Why don't you go on Finnish forums and tell them about the virtues of never been colonized and conquered cheesy cheesy cheesy LMAO cheesy cheesycheesy cheesycheesy

Romans colonized most of the known world back in the day and looked down on the Germanics as lowly barbarian savages. Look at the pathetic state of Italy now. Greeks ran one of the wealthiest and mightiest empires of the world, look at their miserable broke state now.

Race and phenotype don't make anyone better than the others. Being a former colony or slave doesn't make anyone lesser. What you look like, what color you are or what kind of hair you have doesn't mean a damn thing. What kind of image and representation of your people you are producing with your behavior and what you leave behind when you die is all that matters in the end.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Emir Of Kano, El Rufai Attend 60th Anniversary Of Kaduna Capital School / Indian Culture / Help Translate This Yoruba Word To English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.