Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,414 members, 7,978,304 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:56 AM

Has The April Fool Change Come??? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has The April Fool Change Come??? (324 Views)

The Face Of The Real Change Come 2019 / Atiku Abubakar's April Fool Prank By His Children [PICS] / Sahara Reporters April Fool Headline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Has The April Fool Change Come??? by Buchi001: 12:09pm On Apr 01, 2016
By the evening of March 31st last year, Prof. Attahiru Jega was just a few states shy from completing announcements of results as they trickled in from INEC collation centers nationwide. Elder (clown) Godsday Orubebe was probably rehearsing his dramatic Nollywood action scene which he later sordidly displayed to the dismay of both local and international media.

The social media battles (which we Nigerians are wonderful at) began, with every man to his own trench of identity, by the time the gun powder smokes had settled, the words Jega, Jegaquine, Orubebebola and many more almost had made it to the Webster’s online dictionary as proper nouns.

While all these were going on, a humble man made a phone call, a simple act that changed the political history of Nigeria forever.

When the news, of the historic phone call to President Muhammadu Buhari by former President Goodluck Jonathan filtered in on the evening of march 31st 2015, a surge of mixed feelings ( some of which I can still feel vividly) went through me. On one hand I was happy that something had indeed changed in my Nigeria, a certain kind of maturity gene had been activated in our politics, one good enough for history. However the man I was rooting for, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, had just conceded defeat, it was heart break on my birthday.

I’m still alive one year later and have the privilege to reflect on the events that have followed since the phone call and the question remains has Nigerian changed since that phone call or is the change an April fool's joke? Absolutely yes is my reply.

Apart from the comical changes The Buhari Administration and APC have been making, away from their numerous impractical campaign promises (which many Nigerians fell for), one of the essential changes I’m grateful for is the total distortion and reordering of our reality; the gradual curing of our messianic mentality.

The first distortion to our reality is the believe in the imagination that Nigeria is a breakable country, an idea to which many prophets and wizards of old made predictions on. Most of them were very sure there would be no Nigeria after the 2015 general elections. I wonder where they are today, but I tell you they have changed.

Another distortion of our gullible reality is the perception most Nigerians used to have of former president Goodluck Jonathan. Before these recent months, there were millions of Nigerians who readily described President Jonathan as clueless, inexperienced, a sponsor of terrorism, a drunk, etc. Such people today are either................................continue below....................
http://www.mybeautifulnigeria.com/has-the-april-fool-change-come/

(1) (Reply)

Sins Of Pdp, The Sinners And The Priest / Sending A Nigerian To Space And The Need To Avoid A Second NIGCOMSAT1 / How Nigerians Are Being Short Changed By Rogues In The National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.