Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,277 members, 7,940,086 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 04:41 PM

God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? (1019 Views)

"Why Does The OT Show A God Of Wrath And The NT A God Of Mercy?" / Santa Vs. God / God Gives And Satan Take Away Vs God Gives And Take Away! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by ladysex(f): 7:19am On Jul 29, 2009
It sure seems like it. Jesus, the earthly manifestation of God, talks peace, love and forgiveness. He tells us to love our enemies and preaches the golden rule.

The God of the OT gives laws to his people that command them to kill gays, adulterers, children who talk back to their parents, etc. He commands Abraham to kill his son. He floods the earth to kill every last man woman and child because they displeased him. He destroys Sodom and Gomorrah with fire and brimstone. He helps the Hebrews win wars and commands them to slaughter every man, woman, child and animal in nations that do not believe in him.

Do these sound like the same God to you? One sounds like Ghandi and the other sounds like Hitler. When discussing this with Christians, they often tell me that Jesus brought a new covenant and that God changed the way He deals with man. But this is no minor adjustment. God goes from egomaniacal mass murderer to peaceful, loving father in a single stroke. If He did change, WHY? If He's perfect, why do it one way for a while and then conceive of a BETTER way so much later? Wouldn't a perfect being do it the best way first and never have to change his mind?
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 29, 2009
^^^'Jesus is the same yesterday, today and for ever', christians keep saying that.
So I believe the christian answer to your question is yes. Since in today's christianity, Jesus Christ = God.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Tudor6(f): 9:26am On Jul 29, 2009
I am that I am!
I am God I Changeth Not.
So yes, it's the same god.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 29, 2009
fellis:

^^^'Jesus is the same yesterday, today and for ever', christians keep saying that.
So I believe the christian answer to your question is yes. Since in today's christianity, Jesus Christ = God.

The bible or christianity does not teach that Jesus christ = God, it is some deluded preachers and their mis-lead congregation that make such unfounded claims.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Abuzola(m): 10:02am On Jul 29, 2009
The god of NT was a man, powerless and strengthless, and was a human, if he dares do any stupid the roman army will execute him with no time wasting
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by kolaoloye(m): 11:53am On Jul 29, 2009
There is only one God. Jehova is his name. Jesus is not " the Jehova" but the son.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 29, 2009
@jagoon and kola oloye,
apologies for my wrong post.
So that means Jesus is not God abi?
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Abuzola(m): 12:05pm On Jul 29, 2009
Chei, another blasphemy
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Nezan(m): 12:11pm On Jul 29, 2009
I don't think this question makes any sense. The OT and NT are part and parcel of the Bible, infact the NT fulfils the OT. The question would have been whether YHWH=ALLAH?
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by ladysex(f): 6:31pm On Jul 29, 2009
Nezan:

I don't think this question makes any sense. The OT and NT are part and parcel of the Bible, infact the NT fulfils the OT. The question would have been whether YHWH=ALLAH?
There is no way in which to understand the world without first detecting it through the radar-net of our senses. i hope you will be able to figure out what i meant.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 29, 2009
fellis:

@jagoon and kola oloye,
apologies for my wrong post.
So that means Jesus is not God abi?

Absolutely correct Jesus neve claimed to be God. He is subject to his Father Jehovah God almighty.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by wirinet(m): 8:08pm On Jul 29, 2009
No, the God of the OT is much different from the God of the NT. The God of the OT was a tribal God, who never required others to worship him except the JEWs. He was only interested in protecting the interest of the Jews and he spoke and only understood their language. That God was as brutal as his people, he kills and direct directed his people to kill others who worshiped other Gods even though he never revealed himself to them the way he revealed himself to the jews, or people who had fertile land. He never even required them to convert, he was only interested in others not converting his people,

The Christian God is another proposition altogether, he is three in one god, meaning three gods reside in one God, and they can be at three separate places at the same time.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Abuzola(m): 8:28pm On Jul 29, 2009
Wirinet you have said it all. You are blessed
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Krayola2(m): 8:53pm On Jul 29, 2009
The New testament is mostly fiction.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by ladysex(f): 1:46am On Jul 30, 2009
@Wirinet, very well said.
Same God - different points. The OT emphasizes perfect justice, which is what we would all suffer if it wasn't for Christ. The NT emphasizes perfect mercy, which is what we receive because of Christ.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by petres007(m): 9:50am On Jul 30, 2009
ladysex:

@Wirinet, very well said.
Same God - different points. The OT emphasizes perfect justice, which is what we would all suffer if it wasn't for Christ. The NT emphasizes perfect mercy, which is what we receive because of Christ.

@ladysex,

Thanks a bunch for your post! I'd already decided I wasn't going to post anything as it seemed most of the people who've posted have used this opportunity to spill out their half-baked ideas about God. undecided Will be back to respond to some of the issues raised. But let me briefly address the main issue here:

Are the God of the NT and OT the same? YES!!!

You only need to properly study and understand the bible.

Take for example:

The "non-offensive" God of the NT (as you've portrayed here), Slew Herod when he misyaned, and killed both Annanias and Saphira when they lied. Does that sound like a different God to you?

Should be back to post more on this?

Cheers!
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Nezan(m): 10:10am On Jul 30, 2009
Jagoon:

Absolutely correct Jesus neve claimed to be God. He is subject to his Father Jehovah God almighty.

The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. (John 8:57-59)

"I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me does not believe in Me, but in Him who sent Me. And he who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me. I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46)

And so when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:12-14)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:6-9)
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53pm On Jul 30, 2009
The God of the New Testament is the same as the God of the Old Testament.  The Bible says that He never changes.  He is just as merciful in the OT as He is in the NT.  Read Nehemiah chapter 9 for an understanding of how God mercifully forgave Israel, again and again, after they repeatedly sinned and turned their back on Him.  The Psalms of David often speak of God's mercy, poured out on sinners.

He is also just as wrath-filled in the NT as He is in the OT.  As petres_007 rightly said, He killed a husband and wife in the Book of Acts, simply because he told one lie.  Jesus warned that He was to be feared because He has the Power to cast the body and soul into hell.  The apostle Paul said that he persuaded men to come to Jesus Christ, the Saviour, because he knew the "terror of the Lord."  Take your time to read about the dreadful judgments of the NT's Book of Revelation.  That will put the "fear of God" in you, which incidentally is "the beginning of wisdom."

Perhaps the most fearful display of His wrath is seen in the cross of Jesus Christ.  His fury so came upon the Messiah that it seems God enshrouded the face of Jesus in darkness so that creation couldn't gaze upon His unspeakable agony.  Whether we like it or not, our God is a consuming fire of holiness (Hebrews 12:29).  He isn't going to change, so we better realise that we are the ones to change from our false ideologies and false religious ideas and repent before the Day of Judgment.  If we repent, God, in His mercy, will forgive us and grant us eternal life in heaven with Him.

"Justice and Judgment are the habitation of your throne: mercy and truth shall go before your face." --  Psalms 89:14
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by jagunlabi(m): 2:21pm On Jul 30, 2009
The bible god was merciful in the OT despite the mayhem he caused?Olaadegbu,you are one twisted brother.
OLAADEGBU:

The God of the New Testament is the same as the God of the Old Testament. The Bible says that He never changes. He is just as merciful in the OT as He is in the NT. Read Nehemiah chapter 9 for an understanding of how God mercifully forgave Israel, again and again, after they repeatedly sinned and turned their back on Him. The Psalms of David often speak of God's mercy, poured out on sinners.

He is also just as wrath-filled in the NT as He is in the OT. As petres_007 rightly said, He killed a husband and wife in the Book of Acts, simply because he told one lie. Jesus warned that He was to be feared because He has the Power to cast the body and soul into hell. The apostle Paul he persuaded men to come to Jesus Christ, the Saviour, because he knew the "terror of the Lord." Take your time to read about the dreadful judgments of the NT's Book of Revelation. That will put the "fear of God" in you, which incidentally is "the beginning of wisdom."
"Justice and Judgment are the habitation of your throne: mercy and truth shall go before your face." -- Psalms 89:14

A fearful display of imaginary madness,perhaps.His own fury came upon himself(or his son depending on how you interprete) on the cross?Brother olaadegbu,you are loosing it.
Thank god you are not a muslim,or else you would've been a fire-breathing imam by now commanding a hoard of gun totting terrorist,because you sound like a christian zealot.
OLAADEGBU:

Perhaps the most fearful display of His wrath is seen in the cross of Jesus Christ. His fury so came upon the Messiah that is seems God enshrouded the face of Jesus in darkness so that creation couldn't gaze upon His unspeakable agony. Whether we like it or not, our God is a consuming fire of holiness (Hebrews 12:29). He isn't going to change, so we better realise that we are the ones to change from our false ideologies and false religious ideas and repent before the Day of Judgment. If we repent, God, in His mercy, will forgive us and grant us eternal life in heaven with Him.

"Justice and Judgment are the habitation of your throne: mercy and truth shall go before your face." -- Psalms 89:14
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Abuzola(m): 2:48pm On Jul 30, 2009
Come see battle of titan, Nezan say jesus is God while jagoon refute that claim. Confussion upon confussion
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Nezan(m): 2:53pm On Jul 30, 2009
Abuzola:

Come see battle of titan, Nezan say jesus is God while jagoon refute that claim. Confussion upon confussion

What a person is this? You make accusations without pointing them out. Post the two lets see.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:23pm On Jul 30, 2009
jagunlabi:

The bible god was merciful in the OT despite the mayhem he caused?Olaadegbu,you are one twisted brother.

"For I am the LORD, I change not: therefore you sons of Jacob are not consumed." -- Malachi 3:6

jagunlabi:

A fearful display of imaginary madness,perhaps.His own fury came upon himself(or his son depending on how you interprete) on the cross?Brother olaadegbu,you are loosing it,

Satan's servants think that mercy is a sign of weakness, as Abuzola may assert but God actually displayed the greatest Power He has ever displayed when He allowed His Only Son, Jesus, to be tortured and killed upon a cruel cross.  God's mercy paid the price for your sins, mine included.

jagunlabi:

Thank god you are not a muslim,or else you would've been a fire-breathing imam by now commanding a hoard of gun totting terrorist,because you sound like a christian zealot.

True Christians are peaceful because they keep to Christ's instructions.  True muslims carry out  their prophet's instructions by "commanding a hoard of gun totting terrorists" as you can see in the north and all over the Islamic world. There is no neutral ground, its either you are for God or not.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by ladysex(f): 7:19pm On Jul 30, 2009
@Abuzola,
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.
Blessed is the man who, having nothing to stay, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by jagunlabi(m): 11:48am On Jul 31, 2009
Judging by your posts in this thread so far,nobody will say that you are a true christian who believe in peace.I mean,look at your god for instance,a god of war?You are mixed up,bro.This religious beliefs of yours is doing wild things to your psyche.You better drop it before loose a couple of nuts.
OLAADEGBU:

True Christians are peaceful because they keep to Christ's instructions. True muslims carry out their prophet's instructions by "commanding a hoard of gun totting terrorists" as you can see in the north and all over the Islamic world. There is no neutral ground, its either you are for God or not.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by sarmy(m): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2009
Same God relating with man according to his level of conciousness.

Just like a father, his relationship with a 2months old baby will be different from the way he will relate with a 30 year old son.

God is God any day any time, still a loving father.
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by Abuzola(m): 1:08pm On Jul 31, 2009
Same god encouraging incest
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by sarmy(m): 1:21pm On Jul 31, 2009
Abuzola:

Same god encouraging incest

Did you hear him say he encouraged incest?
Re: God Of The Ot Vs God Of The Nt. Different Gods? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:36pm On Jul 31, 2009
jagunlabi:

Judging by your posts in this thread so far,nobody will say that you are a true christian who believe in peace.I mean,look at your god for instance,a god of war?You are mixed up,bro.This religious beliefs of yours is doing wild things to your psyche.You better drop it before loose a couple of nuts.

@ jagunlabi,

If you had trouble comprehending my post of the difference between a true Christian and a true muslim then here is the unabridged version of my post:

MOHAMMED VS CHRIST

[list]
[li]“ Mohammed was the prophet of war; Christ is the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6-7). [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed's disciples killed for the faith; Christ's disciples were killed for their faith (Acts 12:2; 2 Tim. 4:7).[/li]
[/list] 
[list]
[li]Mohammed promoted persecution against the "infidels"; Christ forgave and converted the chief persecutor (1 Tim. 1:13-15).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed was the taker of life; Christ is the giver of life (John 10:27-28).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed and his fellow warriors murdered thousands; Christ murdered none but saved many (John 12:48).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed’s method was COMPULSION; Christ’s aim was CONVERSION (Acts 3:19). [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed practiced FORCE; Christ preached FAITH (John 6:29, 35).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed was a WARRIOR; Christ is a DELIVERER (Col. 1:13; 1 Thess. 1:10).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed said to the masses, "Convert or die!"; Christ said, "Believe and live!" (John 6:47; 11:25-26).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed was swift to shed blood (Rom. 3:15-17); Christ shed His own blood for the salvation of many (Eph. 1:7). [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed preached "Death to the infidels!"; Christ prayed "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed declared a holy war (Jihad) against infidels; Christ achieved a holy victory on Calvary's cross (Col. 2:14-15) and His followers share in that victory (John 16:33).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed constrained people by conquest; Christ constrained people by love (2 Cor. 5:14).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Modern terrorists derive their inspiration from Mohammed and carry out their despicable atrocities in the name of his god; Christians derive their inspiration from the One who said, "Blessed are the peacemakers" (Matthew 5:9).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Modern day disciples of Mohammed respond to the terrorist attacks by cheering in the streets; modern day disciples of Christ are deeply grieved at past atrocities carried out by those who were "Christians" in name only (the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, etc.).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Many Muslims are peaceful and peace-loving because they do not strictly follow the teachings of their founder; many Christians are peaceful and peace-loving because they do strictly follow the teachings of their Founder (Rom. 12:17-21).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed called upon his servants to fight; Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world; if My kingdom were of this world, then would My servants fight . . . but now is My kingdom not from here" (John 18:36)[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed ordered death to the Jews (see A.Guillaume, The Life of Muhammad, Oxford University Press [1975], p. 369); Christ ordered that the Gospel be preached "to the Jew first" (Rom. 1:16). [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]The Qur'an says, "Fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them" (Qu'ran 9.5); Christ said, "Preach the Gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15). [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed's mission was to conquer the world for Allah; Christ's mission was to conquer sin's penalty and power by substitutionary atonement (2 Cor. 5:21; 1 Pet. 3:18).[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed claimed that there was but one God, Allah; Christ claimed that He was God (John 10:30-31; John 8:58-59; John 5:18; John 14:9). [/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Mohammed's Tomb: OCCUPIED! Christ's tomb: EMPTY! ” [/li]
[/list]

(1) (Reply)

Subconscious Mind / Young Ministers Of The Gospel / God's Voice In Your Head

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.